2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 189 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4942Likes

post #5641 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked: 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
Well, no I don't have documentation. Do you have documentation that the HDR indicator is false? There are some test pattern HDR videos you can use. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEtUF7RT3pw

On an SDR display, you don't see the difference in white bars displayed at 400 nits, 1000 nits, etc.. With the internal app and the casting method, you can see the difference.

Note that it used to be true that the internal app would never trigger the HDR indicator and that's what people meant when they said the internal app didn't support HDR. Casting was the workaround, even though the settings wouldn't automatically change. Now, the internal app behaves the same way as casting, so they definitely fixed something.
I don't have proof of the false positive either, only discussion from some Reddit threads which I saw. Which is why I didn't claim it as definitive. The fact that the brightness indicator doesn't change to maximum as it should for HDR content suggested that it wasn't coming through as proper HDR. Also Rtngs lists the TV as not Youtube HDR capable.

Thanks for the videos, I'll compare the internal app vs the ATV4K and Nvidia Shield Youtube apps which I know do not support HDR. Like I said before, it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised by this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Have People successfully used bias lighting to reduce blooming in X900F? The blooming seems to be a frequent complaint.
post #5643 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Larkins View Post
With my 75 inch 900F arriving Sunday I was wondering what's a good standard reference for settings. Just go by rtings.com, or is there something else? I'm a bit confused on the BFI feature... should I enable that for gaming? Didn't want to beat a dead horse but wasn't able to find any clear and comprehensive guide here outside of bits and pieces. Thanks!
me i advice you to put gama at Max and advance contrast to high for dolby vision netflix if you have it , the rest is up to what you like , the game a could not help , I am not a gamer .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5644 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
Have People successfully used bias lighting to reduce blooming in X900F? The blooming seems to be a frequent complaint.

yes I was moving out of oled and the black was not as expected for all of you asking if its a good set in dark room is not
with bias lightening you will have good black performance and better contrast and less blooming

Last edited by dwhitton1; 12-28-2018 at 05:14 PM.
post #5645 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
I’m having an odd issue with arc going back to the receiver. My Yamaha avr is connected to hdmi 3/arc. When I launch Netflix on the tv, the avr switches to audio1 as it should. I get no sound while the usual Netflix previews play but if I select a show and hit play the sound comes through just fine in surround sound. If I launch You Tube I get no sound no matter what. I have Bravia Link turned on and all settings seem to be correct on the avr - hdmi control on, arc on. I only have an Xfinity cable box and a 4K Blu-ray connected to the avr. The Blu-ray is set to “hdmi control off” so as to eliminate any confusion with Bravia Link trying to connect with that rather than the avr. Can’t think of anything else to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ok I’ve made some progress on this issue. I did a power reset on both the tv and the avr, unplugging both from power and hdmi and holding the power button on the tv for 15 seconds. Here’s where I’m at now.

I get 2 channels stereo when I launch Netflix through the tv. This is from when it launches and while any previews are playing. As soon as I select a show or movie to watch, it switches over to 5.1 Dolby.

When I go to You Tube through the tv, I only get 2 channel stereo no matter what
I play. Does You Tube actually have 5.1 Dolby audio? If so, any ideas on how I can get to there?
post #5646 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Is anyone using different settings for Dolby Vision? I can’t seem to get DV content to look consistent. Some content looks great, other content is extremely dark. I was just playing A Clear and Present Danger and it’s almost unwatchable. Some DV content and all HDR10 content looks great. I’m using vudu on the internal app.
post #5647 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking at getting the X900F (55") over the next couple months. When I was at bestbuy, they said if I can get my hands on a 930e, I should over the 900F. True? Should I hunt for it?

I'm coming from a 46" Panny Plasma. Anything in comparison that I should be aware of? The person at BB said that only comparison with a plasma is the OLED, but then the blacks are not that good. So i'm confused as hell!
tubers likes this.
post #5648 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 06:36 PM

And how do you know if it is a 2018 model or not? Or were they all 2018?
post #5649 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurbhatia View Post
And how do you know if it is a 2018 model or not? Or were they all 2018?
Just an opinion based on life experience, I'd forget what the BB salesman said. He wants to sell last year's model and I think you'd be happy with the 900f.

Hugh Campbell
post #5650 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I'm looking at getting the X900F (55") over the next couple months. When I was at bestbuy, they said if I can get my hands on a 930e, I should over the 900F. True? Should I hunt for it?

I'm coming from a 46" Panny Plasma. Anything in comparison that I should be aware of? The person at BB said that only comparison with a plasma is the OLED, but then the blacks are not that good. So i'm confused as hell!
I think so.

It seems to have superior local dimming (less blooming), probably the best edge lit or among the best. Much brighter so HDR will have more punch:

post #5651 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Is anyone using different settings for Dolby Vision? I can’t seem to get DV content to look consistent. Some content looks great, other content is extremely dark. I was just playing A Clear and Present Danger and it’s almost unwatchable. Some DV content and all HDR10 content looks great. I’m using vudu on the internal app.
place gama to max and advance contrast to max some other setting like black level and backlight will help
post #5652 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitton1 View Post
yes I was moving out of oled and the black was not as expected for all of you asking if its a good set in dark room is not
with bias lightening you will have good black performance and better contrast and less blooming
How far back from the perimeter of the TV did you install the lighting?
post #5653 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:

yes and no , 930e little better picture more pop , better contrast , black , less blooming , 900f more fast , for gaming and sport color more neutral natural .
I own 2 plasma and a oled , you will need bias lightening to be happy on the black with led tv .
post #5654 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janey View Post
How far back from the perimeter of the TV did you install the lighting?
I am about 2 inch you will need 5 meter , you can double fold 45 degree the led stripe for perfect 90 degree square turn or curb them .
post #5655 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 10:55 PM
Biased (but nice)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Send a message via Skype™ to Scenic Labs
Now I know why people are asking for the Quad XL. Thanks!

If you have 85" but some distance from the wall, the Quad is still perfect, but if you are very flush to the wall. And more importantly, if you get OCD about the light being even all around the TV (not necessary for bias lights to work, btw. ), then that's why we offered a larger size.

We haven't set the final pricing, but probably $10 more than the Quad -- although there's always a coupon.

We also have another configuration coming out on a trial basis. A 4 meter strip that uses 95 Ra 3528 chips called the MediaLight Flex. These are similar in size to the chips on some popular low-CRI bias lights, but with the same blend of phosphors that we use on our 5050 chips on our standard MediaLight models.

Flex is meant for when someone either has a TV smaller than 65" or only needs 3 sides of coverage with 65" (maybe a sound bar under the TV). It replaces our MediaLight Twin, which only lit two sides of the TV, and gives an option for wall mounts at the same price as the old Twin. The only sacrifice is maximum brightness, but this is not much of a sacrifice. Virtually everyone is already dimming the larger units and because there are more of the smaller chips than on the old Twin, the maximum brightness is still higher. It includes the remote and dimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
If you already contacted MediaLight, tell them you want the QuadXL lights! These are new and will begin shipping in a week or so. I had purchased their Quad lights but they were rather short on our 85" behemoth. They will replace my Quad with their new Quad XL free of charge! Great guys indeed.

Oh wait, disregard. You are getting the 75". The regular Quads should work fine with the 75" model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Publisher of Spears & Munsil Benchmark UHD HDR Benchmark.
Maker of The ISF-certified MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System
post #5656 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just ordered the 75X900F from buydig using their promotional code. I am giddy with excitement! Can't wait to play my favorite games on a 75 inch screen .
post #5657 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I just ordered the 75X900F from buydig using their promotional code. I am giddy with excitement! Can't wait to play my favorite games on a 75 inch screen .
I really wanted to get the 55 or 65 but now skipping again. I really wish I picked up those open boxes on bb last week, basically if the HDR and DV is actually that "bad" as I was impressed with the somewhat bright and colorful P55-F1 HDR and DV.

Returns are my main issue. I'm stuck with the X900F if I buy one from buydig unless I pay return shipping of a large item which I assume is quite expensive.
post #5658 of 12024 Old 12-28-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitton1 View Post
yes and no , 930e little better picture more pop , better contrast , black , less blooming , 900f more fast , for gaming and sport color more neutral natural .
I own 2 plasma and a oled , you will need bias lightening to be happy on the black with led tv .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
Just an opinion based on life experience, I'd forget what the BB salesman said. He wants to sell last year's model and I think you'd be happy with the 900f.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
I think so.

It seems to have superior local dimming (less blooming), probably the best edge lit or among the best. Much brighter so HDR will have more punch:

https://youtu.be/t0GzpKxakZM?t=635
Thanks!

BB did not have the 930e anywhere in stock. He said if I find it somewhere, I should buy it.

However, I did find the colors of the 900F more natural than the OLED LG that I saw.

As for price, BH has it at a good price for me, for the 55".

As for Bias lightning, suggestions on one?
post #5659 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

BB did not have the 930e anywhere in stock. He said if I find it somewhere, I should buy it.

However, I did find the colors of the 900F more natural than the OLED LG that I saw.

As for price, BH has it at a good price for me, for the 55".

As for Bias lightning, suggestions on one?
all brand work look at YouTube you have some usb , some with camera to adapt the color of the screen , some react to sound , some go on WiFi it's crazy all the choice , try to buy the non waterproof one they are brighter from my experience .
mayurbhatia likes this.
post #5660 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
Well, no I don't have documentation. Do you have documentation that the HDR indicator is false? There are some test pattern HDR videos you can use. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEtUF7RT3pw

On an SDR display, you don't see the difference in white bars displayed at 400 nits, 1000 nits, etc.. With the internal app and the casting method, you can see the difference.

Note that it used to be true that the internal app would never trigger the HDR indicator and that's what people meant when they said the internal app didn't support HDR. Casting was the workaround, even though the settings wouldn't automatically change. Now, the internal app behaves the same way as casting, so they definitely fixed something.
Did you guys ever figure out who was correct? I looked at the test patterns on youtube on my 900f and the difference was obvious.

Hugh Campbell
post #5661 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi folks! First post here, but have been reading the forums for months as I was trying to decide on a new TV. I wanted to upgrade from the 32" TV I had in my computer room for a good 10 years. I wanted the best tv I could buy at the smallest size because I would be sitting about 4 or 5 feet away from it, so I finally settled on the 49" X900F. I love everything about this TV. I wish I could've gotten a bigger TV but that just wouldn't work with how close I am to it. I say the 49" is a great size, and Sony really delivered with this model. I purchased the TV during black Friday deals. I had a ton of Best Buy Reward Certificates saved up, so I ended up spending only $250 of my own cash. Can't say no to that! I will eventually buy a large TV for my living room. I have wanted to buy an OLED since they came out, but I am waiting for the technology to get even better. No rush, as I spend most of my time in my computer room.

One problem I am having with this TV has to do with Netflix. Sometimes when I go to use the Netflix app, it will be stuck on the loading screen and never start up. I end up having to go to the TV settings > about > and then restarting (rebooting) the TV. Is anyone else having this problem? I am quite frustrated by it. I want to use the Netflix app on the TV, but I don't want to keep having to reboot the TV. I have thought about buying an ATV 4K but I want to be able use Netflex straight from the TV apps. I shouldnt have to reset it just for it to work.

Right now I am trying to decide on what game console to get for it. I am so torn trying to figure this one out. I am a high-end PC gamer, but only play games at 2560 x 1440 on a few 27" 144 Hz 1ms response time gaming monitors. I wont go 4k on the small computer screens, and I don't plan on hooking up my computer to my new TV. I want to be blown away by 4k gaming on this TV. I have always been a Sony Playstation guy, but I've read that the Xbox One X is so much more powerful. It will be a plus that it can also play UHD 4k Blurays without me having to by a seperate player. Oh decisions... lol

Thanks for your help!
post #5662 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Those who have the 75 inch X900F, how has your experience been? Do you have any complaints or regrets or are you generally happy with the purchase?

Very happy no regerts :-)
post #5663 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thousandaire View Post
I've had my 65" 900F running for about a week. Got it about 3 weeks ago in the BestBuy sale. Generally very satisfied with it so far, I got it to use for evening movies etc and it will replace a Sony 700D which will be moved to another room for daytime news etc.

I noticed there is a slightly reduced brightness in the corners, about a 2"x2" area, only noticed if looking for defects. In the RTings review it is visible on the contrast checkerboard and 50% grey uniformity test images, so I assume it is a common minor issue with the 900F.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f

So far I've noticed artifacts from the operation of the FALD system only once, I could see a halo around a spaceship in a Star Trek movie.

I also have a 55" 700D TV, this was the bottom level XBR from 2016. It's 60 Hz and has an IPS screen and is direct lit but all the lights in the LED array run at the same brightness, which is variable and controlled by the scene contents. Works quite well on many types of programming but the IPS has poor black levels which is a problem in some movies (people sneaking around in the dark). The AndroidTV menu system is very similar on both TVs.

On my main input device, a Telus IPTV set top box, I've noticed skin colours often seem incorrect with the default settings, people look very slightly green or yellow. This might be an issue only with my Telus box (a Cisco CIS430) as it is less significant with video from an Apple TV 3 and a Sony Blu Ray player. I've changed the 900F colour temperature to Cool and moved the Hue to R2 and that seems to mostly fix the problem. My 900F TV (and the 700D) could probably benefit from a pro calibration.
In looking through a number of posts regarding settings we should remember that everyone is viewing their TV in different circumstances. Our rooms are all vastly different. And our eyes are as different as well. What one person likes will not please everyone.
naustin likes this.

Hugh Campbell
post #5664 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Hdmi 2.1

If you are planning on buying new HDMI cables for your 900F I would suggest you get the new 2.1 version and make sure they are certified. I have hooked up a number of cables to my 900F and some didn't work as well as others. Now that the HDMI folks are certifying certain brands I'd be careful. Here is a video of Rob Tobias, the HDMI Licensing CEO, explaining 2.1.

Hugh Campbell
post #5665 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just opened and set the 65" 900f up, picture is awesome, large greyed semi-circular vertical bands (5" or so) are a problem, but they're swapping the TV out for me.

Also, its still discounted at shopmyexchange, but not as much as black friday where I got it for $1150 which seemed a steal.

Anyone have a post link outlining the best settings to use for 4k movies, and another for gaming?
post #5666 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
[quote=HughScot;57343436]If you are planning on buying new HDMI cables for your 900F I would suggest you get the new 2.1 version and make sure they are certified. I have hooked up a number of cables to my 900F and some didn't work as well as others. Now that the HDMI folks are certifying certain brands I'd be careful. Here is a video of Rob Tobias, the HDMI Licensing CEO, explaining 2.1.

I believe the 900f only supports up to HDMI 2.0, if so what would be the advantage of getting 2.1 cables?
post #5667 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuper View Post
Just opened and set the 65" 900f up, picture is awesome, large greyed semi-circular vertical bands (5" or so) are a problem, but they're swapping the TV out for me.

Also, its still discounted at shopmyexchange, but not as much as black friday where I got it for $1150 which seemed a steal.

Anyone have a post link outlining the best settings to use for 4k movies, and another for gaming?
Here's some light reading for you...:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...gs-thread.html

Seggers
Psuper likes this.

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield.
post #5668 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Those who have the 75 inch X900F, how has your experience been? Do you have any complaints or regrets or are you generally happy with the purchase?
it's a nice set uniformity is good , vertical banding is good , viewing angle is not as bad as a Vizio p series , screen defect are very minimal , the only banding I get is on white screen like hockey about 25% of the time when panning is fast , sitting at angle about 25 degree , in front could not see it , if I compare to the js900 or oled the set is good . to have nice black bar and less blooming you need bias lightening .
srkmish likes this.
post #5669 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked: 3238
Quote:
If you are planning on buying new HDMI cables for your 900F I would suggest you get the new 2.1 version and make sure they are certified. I have hooked up a number of cables to my 900F and some didn't work as well as others. Now that the HDMI folks are certifying certain brands I'd be careful. Here is a video of Rob Tobias, the HDMI Licensing CEO, explaining 2.1.

I believe the 900f only supports up to HDMI 2.0, if so what would be the advantage of getting 2.1 cables?
There would be no immediate advantage to 2.1 cables. It would provide some future proofing in the event that the 900F gets a firmware upgrade to 2.1 but I don't know how likely that is to happen. Note, HDMI 2.1 cables are available now but they are at a heavy price premium. For example, Monoprice sells a 6 foot certified high speed premium 18 Gbps cable for $2.99. Amazon has a 2.1 48 Gbps 6 foot cable for $36.

You can always be an early adopter but I would wait until the actual 2.1 benefits are available and by then the cable prices should drop.

Hugh, my guess is that the cable problems you had were due to not buying certified high speed premium 18 Gbps cables and your problems were solved when you bought certified. It's not necessary to get 2.1 cables though, at least at this time.
christoofar likes this.
post #5670 of 12024 Old 12-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=southbay1;57344122]
Quote:

If you already have 2.0 there wouldn't be a reason to. But if you don't and are getting ready to upgrade you may as well get the 2.1. Watch the video for all the details.

Hugh Campbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page