2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 192 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4195Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5731 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 03:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
It's this years best IPS TV but at this point being the best IPS might not mean much to most. It also seems to have its own quirks too according to a poster here. Can't change the gamma with the already dim HDR/DV. Like I implied, gonna stick to mostly SDR but I want something bright and have good viewing angles. The only other choice is X850F.

IPS have very low contrast ratio but the figures doesn't translate 1:1 to real human perception. IPS usually have 5x worse contrast ratio than VA but at best, I can only see a little more than 2x but as soon as I hit past that 25 degree spot, image quality drops so fast on VA panels my heart sinks.

Maybe my eyes are just broken.

I won't pass up a good deal though so if I come across an insane deal for a mid-range VA, it's game on.
just looked them up havent taken a look at LED tvs

will check out the reviews.
Mack813 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5732 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
seggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WNY
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cushing View Post
I love this TV, but i'm disapointed that i cannot access the Network settings unless i have a router. It also doesn't allow be to access any apps. HDMI from my computer to TV is fine, but i don't have the abilty to do practically anything else. No STB menu, no sync menu, no Android, no nothing unless i'm connected to the TV with a Router.
My Wired Lan is greyed out.
I was told i could access Sony network features with just my computer and modem with a wired connection. I don't need wi-fi, i don't have multiple users, i don't need a Router because everything is right next to me in my living room.
Smart TV........yeah right.
Kevin,

Question for you. How did you connect your wired network to the TV then? As you have no router, I assume you didn't try a WiFi connection, correct?

Although I do have a router, I was able to hardwire my TV and update its firmware. I also switched a bunch of stuff off (I'm looking at you, Samba) before rebooting it and unplugging the network cable.

One other thought, if your (cable?) modem is only connected to your PC, then your TV had no network type connection, in the first place, and I would say what you saw was correct.

Ultimately, if the TV is your 2nd item on the network, then you may well need to find a way to share the connection between the PC and the TV. Like a 5 port unmanaged network switch. Also, and although you don't have a router par say, does the modem have more than one output port? Like a WAN (yellow) and 1 - or more - LAN (white) type ports? If it does, then get another network cable and plug that into one of the spare white ports and the TV.

One other question, how is your PC getting internet?

Just some thoughts for you.

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
seggers is online now  
post #5733 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 06:42 AM
Member
 
dwhitton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Has anyone noticed if their tv is slightly brighter on one side?

On our 55 inch, the left side of the screen closer to the left edge is slightly brighter than the right side.

It's like this from left to right:

<------------ entire tv horizontally ------------->
Brightest, brighter, bright, bright, bright, bright.

Also noticed it has a dime sized grey imprint near the middle of the screen.
hello try took pictures of it , if you could screen uniformity are never perfect , if white page are white no blue or purple it's should be ok , for darker spot dirty screen effect if only little normal , all tv will have some , on my set in regular content I see nothing except little banding in hockey on white ice when the cam is panning fast
tubers likes this.
dwhitton1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5734 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 06:55 AM
Member
 
dwhitton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by terasim View Post
Need advice. I purchased the 85" x900f for christmas. I woke up the next morning to see a large scratch on the screen and a fingerprint to the left of the scratch, by the screen and bezel. The scratch is in a straight line down downwards. I checked this screen multiple times for any scratches, banding, dse etc. the day it arrived. There were no scratches anywhere.

The tenants on the first floor have two cats. My previous ks8000 was never scratched, as was any other furniture I have. Never saw cat claw marks anywhere.

Now I do have a crazy sister who has done some similar evil acts in the past, but so far has never scratched or keyed any of my belongings before. She has certainly done worse though.

Gut feeling tells me it was my sister. Trying to find any other way it could have happened. To me it looks like someone used a nail or hair pin, but then again I do not own any pets.


Attached are pics.
sorry for you , you will have to call a windshield repair guy with uv activated glue , it can be fixed this way , I don't suggest you to try it yourself if you are not manual .
dwhitton1 is offline  
post #5735 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 07:07 AM
Member
 
dwhitton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack813 View Post
Hello guys been awhile since i posted on here but im torn between to sets right now

The 900F in a 75 inch or an LG OLED 65 inch?

I prefer to have the screen size since im currently trying to update my main living room 65 inch

but

I think i could live with the 65 inch since the tv im upgrading from picture quality would be much improved if i go with the oled.

What would you do?

Im coming from a 2016 Vizio P series

TIA
hello I own a oled for 1.5 years and I got burn in from YouTube .
the red logo , play bar and yellow short cut logo bottom right .
if you like bright tv and watch some static content don't go oled , I was on YouTube every day burn in start after the 4000 hours mark.

if you watch almost only movie and don't game to much yes oled is better than led . with oled is not a matter of do I will get burn in is a matter of when I will get burn in . lifespan is 30000 hours , I get 2 plasma that go over 50000 hours no problem .
dwhitton1 is offline  
post #5736 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 08:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitton1 View Post
hello I own a oled for 1.5 years and I got burn in from YouTube .
the red logo , play bar and yellow short cut logo bottom right .
if you like bright tv and watch some static content don't go oled , I was on YouTube every day burn in start after the 4000 hours mark.

if you watch almost only movie and don't game to much yes oled is better than led . with oled is not a matter of do I will get burn in is a matter of when I will get burn in . lifespan is 30000 hours , I get 2 plasma that go over 50000 hours no problem .
OLED burn-in is not a given, it is a matter of how you use it and have it configured. My impression from your previous posts is you had your OLED on MAX brightness and the equivalent of VIVID mode, the worst case scenarios for OLED burn-in. Using an OLED to watch movies and TV in a darkened room where the brightness will be turned down and something other than VIVID mode used will result in a MUCH longer lifetime for an OLED TV.
ERuiz likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is online now  
post #5737 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
HughScot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does anyone use "Vivid" on a daily basis with their 900F?

Hugh Campbell
HughScot is offline  
post #5738 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 09:06 AM
Member
 
dwhitton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
OLED burn-in is not a given, it is a matter of how you use it and have it configured. My impression from your previous posts is you had your OLED on MAX brightness and the equivalent of VIVID mode, the worst case scenarios for OLED burn-in. Using an OLED to watch movies and TV in a darkened room where the brightness will be turned down and something other than VIVID mode used will result in a MUCH longer lifetime for an OLED TV.
yes that what I said if he like bright tv oled not for him , oled can burn in less than 48h , I see a guy who is arc turn on his tv at night he got burn in less than 12h , here a link burn in in less then 48h https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-emb...-at-tradeshow/ Samsung make a test oled be q9 oled burn in less than 12 hours too .
if he like bright tv , game , static content 900f is the tv for him
tubers and srkmish like this.

Last edited by dwhitton1; 12-31-2018 at 09:18 AM.
dwhitton1 is offline  
post #5739 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 09:07 AM
Member
 
dwhitton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
Does anyone use "Vivid" on a daily basis with their 900F?
yes but at night I move to standard too bright
HughScot likes this.
dwhitton1 is offline  
post #5740 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitton1 View Post
yes that what I said if he like bright tv oled not for him , oled can burn in less than 48h , I see a guy who is arc turn on his tv at night he got burn in less than 12h , here a link burn in in less then 48h https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-emb...-at-tradeshow/ Samsung make a test oled be q9 oled burn in less than 12 hours too . https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_7ai7dTGTeo if he like bright tv , game , static content 900f is the tv for him

FYI Image Retention (IR) and Burn-in are NOT the same thing. IR is a temporary state that will disappear in a fairly short time, for example when you turn off a CRT you can see a "ghost image" that disappears pretty quickly, that is an example of extremely short IR caused by phosphors continuing to glow, other types of IR also occur. Burn-in is permanent, for example an old green screen CRT that has that line of text permanently displayed, even when the CRT is off.

All display technologies, even LED/LCD, can display IR. CRT, Plasma and OLED are prone to burn-in if used in certain ways, most of which involve MAX brightness and the equivalent of VIVID mode.
ERuiz likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is online now  
post #5741 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 09:52 AM
Newbie
 
JScottwoodwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had the 65 900f for a little over a month. I am underwhelmed by the tv. Seems like a lot of the details are lost in high brightness scenes. Also the dark dolby vision is pretty crappy even with brightness contrast and gamma cranked. I like a picture with punch or pop. Played around with the settings for quite sometime and cant seem to dial in a great overall picture. The motion handling is great and was the reason I returned the Q6fn. This is my first LCD tv coming from plasma.

I am considering getting the Z9D or Q8fn. Any opinions on these 2 panels vs 900f?
srkmish likes this.
JScottwoodwork is offline  
post #5742 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 09:59 AM
Member
 
remark900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Coming from a 55 inch Samsung JU7100 I am looking at upgrading to a 65 inch TV...and I am interested in the 900f and Z9D...

My main question - am I going to notice a huge improvement besides the 10 inch screen size or am I best waiting for CES for something like microLED?
remark900 is online now  
post #5743 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 2,833
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottwoodwork View Post
I have had the 65 900f for a little over a month. I am underwhelmed by the tv. Seems like a lot of the details are lost in high brightness scenes. Also the dark dolby vision is pretty crappy even with brightness contrast and gamma cranked. I like a picture with punch or pop. Played around with the settings for quite sometime and cant seem to dial in a great overall picture. The motion handling is great and was the reason I returned the Q6fn. This is my first LCD tv coming from plasma.



I am considering getting the Z9D or Q8fn. Any opinions on these 2 panels vs 900f?
Both should be great, of the two I would recommend the Z9D to retain Dolby Vision. If by pop you mean over saturated colors go for the Q8. I would also recommend considering the Vizio P Quantum. I switched from the Vizio and it is just as good as the Sony except that it is limited to the 65 inch panel.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
JScottwoodwork likes this.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #5744 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,039
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6407
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
Yes, but not 2.1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
As mentioned before there is no need to pay the high price premium for 2.1 cables but if you're determined to do so that's your call of course
We will be lucky to see TV's or any other display devise capable of HDMI 2.1 . But hey, CES is right here so we will know in a few days . The way things seem HDMI 2.1 will be readily available in 2020 or 2021.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 12-31-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #5745 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
LDBetaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWbadger91 View Post
I bought a 65” 900F about a month ago. I’ve been using the Android OS apps for Netflix, Hulu, Prime and TTTV. I’m curious if most of you stream with the Android OS or are you using external streaming devices?

I’m interested in getting the best picture quality out of my tv for both streaming and movies. I have about $200 in Best Buy rewards so I’m looking at getting an Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, Sony X700 or streaming device. Thoughts? Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
After spending a lot of time trying to decide which external streamer looks best on my 900F, I decided to give the internal Android apps another try. I think they provide the best picture vs. the external streamers I've tried (Roku Ultra, Fire TV 4K, Apple TV 4K). It's very close in most cases, but the Android apps do look excellent.

YouTube TV looks especially nice which, I suppose, should not be a surprise since YTTV and Android TV are all in the Google family. If I look really hard, I sometimes think Netflix video looks just ever so slightly "shakey", for lack of a better term. It's barely perceptible. I know, I'm probably just looking too hard or just imagining things. Also, and this may be common knowledge that I was unaware of, while watching Netflix, if I press the "Display" button on the Sony TV remote, the time remaining, bit rate and resolution pop up in the upper left corner.
ERuiz likes this.
LDBetaGuy is offline  
post #5746 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ERuiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 201
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
After spending a lot of time trying to decide which external streamer looks best on my 900F, I decided to give the internal Android apps another try. I think they provide the best picture vs. the external streamers I've tried (Roku Ultra, Fire TV 4K, Apple TV 4K). It's very close in most cases, but the Android apps do look excellent.



YouTube TV looks especially nice which, I suppose, should not be a surprise since YTTV and Android TV are all in the Google family. If I look really hard, I sometimes think Netflix video looks just ever so slightly "shakey", for lack of a better term. It's barely perceptible. I know, I'm probably just looking too hard or just imagining things. Also, and this may be common knowledge that I was unaware of, while watching Netflix, if I press the "Display" button on the Sony TV remote, the time remaining, bit rate and resolution pop up in the upper left corner.


I have to concur. I have been doing extensive comparisons between my ATV 4K and the internal apps (Netflix, Prime Videos and Vudu) and I must say that these indeed perform better than the ATV 4K. Especially Netflix and YouTube. Heck the internal YouTube app has HDR as well!

The internal Netflix is slightly brighter in both SDR and HDR, plus as an added bonus, like you said, clicking the display button gives you a nice HUD of useful stats.

If I wanted this HUD on my ATV 4K, I need to find someone with a Mac and Xcode installed, just to enable developer mode on it. SMH

I thought I would miss my Infuse Pro (iOS exclusive) but the Plex app for Android TV actually looks and performs terrific! So I am not missing my ATV 4K at all and one less piece of equipment to worry about.

If you guys have not given the internal apps a try, I highly recommend you do. Yes, Android TV can be a bit clunky, especially for me coming from the ATV's polished UI, but it's starting to grow on me.

BTW, if you do decide to try out the internal apps, make sure you set Motionflow to TRUE CINEMA and Cinemotion to HIGH. These enables studder-free motion on 24fps movies and shows.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LDBetaGuy likes this.

Sony XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by ERuiz; 12-31-2018 at 12:52 PM.
ERuiz is offline  
post #5747 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
LDBetaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
I have to concur. I have been doing extensive comparisons between my ATV 4K and the internal apps (Netflix, Prime Videos and Vudu) and I must say that these indeed perform better than the ATV 4K. Especially Netflix and YouTube. Heck the internal YouTube app has HDR as well!

The internal Netflix is slightly brighter in both SDR and HDR, plus as an added bonus, like you said, clicking the display button gives you a nice HUD of useful stats.

If I wanted this HUD on my ATV 4K, I need to find someone with a Mac and Xcode installed, just to enable developer mode on it. SMH

I thought I would miss my Infuse Pro (iOS exclusive) but the Plex app for Android TV actually looks and performs terrific! So I am not missing my ATV 4K at all and one less piece of equipment to worry about.

If you guys have not given the internal apps a try, I highly recommend you do. Yes, Android TV can be a bit clunky, especially for me coming from the ATV's polished UI, but it's starting to grow on me.

BTW, if you do decide to try out the internal apps, make sure you set Motionflow to TRUE CINEMA and Cinemotion to HIGH. These enables studder-free motion on 24fps movies and shows.
And if anyone has missed this from previous posts, take a look at ways to speed up the Android TV interface:
LDBetaGuy is offline  
post #5748 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 01:02 PM
Member
 
dwhitton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottwoodwork View Post
I have had the 65 900f for a little over a month. I am underwhelmed by the tv. Seems like a lot of the details are lost in high brightness scenes. Also the dark dolby vision is pretty crappy even with brightness contrast and gamma cranked. I like a picture with punch or pop. Played around with the settings for quite sometime and cant seem to dial in a great overall picture. The motion handling is great and was the reason I returned the Q6fn. This is my first LCD tv coming from plasma.

I am considering getting the Z9D or Q8fn. Any opinions on these 2 panels vs 900f?
q8fn is like the sony just little better more pop and little better black . you should go z9d better than q9fn in movie q9 better in game .
JScottwoodwork likes this.
dwhitton1 is offline  
post #5749 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
HughScot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
We will be lucky to see TV's or any other display devise capable of HDMI 2.1 . But hey, CES is right here so we will know in a few days . The way things seem HDMI 2.1 will be readily available in 2020 or 2021.
If you are in the process of upgrading your system why buy soon to be out of date/obsolete cables? I know I wouldn't but people selling HDMI cables might want you to as they will have to get rid of them. At the moment only Belkin is selling them and they are expensive, $29.00. Here are the facts about Ultra High Speed HDMI cables (2.1). Knowledge is king, then make up your own mind.
https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

Hugh Campbell
HughScot is offline  
post #5750 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 01:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Weird. Somethings wrong. I have a Z9D and a 3400H. When I first set them up, I just plugged the cable in and it worked. Didnt have to set up anything. Did you try unplugging the other stuff from the Denon and see what happens? Does the Denon and other devices show up in the input menu? It seems like signaling is working but you arent getting an audio stream.
I agree it should be working as it worked perfectly with the LG OLED. I'll ask both Sony & Denon about this at CES, maybe there is something wrong with the port.
Jerry Lee is offline  
post #5751 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 2,833
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
If you are in the process of upgrading your system why buy soon to be out of date/obsolete cables? I know I wouldn't but people selling HDMI cables might want you to as they will have to get rid of them. At the moment only Belkin is selling them and they are expensive, $29.00. Here are the facts about Ultra High Speed HDMI cables (2.1). Knowledge is king, then make up your own mind.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx
1) the 900F cannot take advantage of 2.1 cables anyway
2) price premium
3) No service is streaming 8K or lossless audio and is unlikely to for a long time

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
ERuiz likes this.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #5752 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
tubers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitton1 View Post
hello try took pictures of it , if you could screen uniformity are never perfect , if white page are white no blue or purple it's should be ok , for darker spot dirty screen effect if only little normal , all tv will have some , on my set in regular content I see nothing except little banding in hockey on white ice when the cam is panning fast
Camera cannot see the bright area but I'll try to upload the coin and dark smear sometime. I hate transferring photos or using the Cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
Does anyone use "Vivid" on a daily basis with their 900F?
Yes. I found most other settings very under saturated. I can now understand how some people find the X900F dull. It might be the closest thing to a calibrated display but I guess our preferences are for more poppy colors. Skin looks so off with our set, very dull even with colors at 70+ and live color on. Tried pushing some red settings, still looks bad.

It's blasphemous but the 65 TCL S4 we had have good skin tones. Skin looks real. Vizio P55 Skin looks too yellow green. X900F skin just looks washed out.

I guess this is the sad reality of not having calibration tools or getting used to uncalibrated IPS tv over the years. It's too ingrained in my head to adjust to what could be correct colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottwoodwork View Post
I have had the 65 900f for a little over a month. I am underwhelmed by the tv. Seems like a lot of the details are lost in high brightness scenes. Also the dark dolby vision is pretty crappy even with brightness contrast and gamma cranked. I like a picture with punch or pop. Played around with the settings for quite sometime and cant seem to dial in a great overall picture. The motion handling is great and was the reason I returned the Q6fn. This is my first LCD tv coming from plasma.

I am considering getting the Z9D or Q8fn. Any opinions on these 2 panels vs 900f?
Same. To give HDR pop I had to crank things up to give it that pop but it seems to wash out too many bright areas specially on skin.

Yes. Dolby looks weird on this. It's really weird that SDR looks so good though.

I also didn't find the X Motion Clarity, set to 1, amazing. It's effectively the same as the weird added motion the TCL 65 S4 we had that cannot be turned off (Clear Motion 120 marketing on a 60 hz panel). Regardless of how advanced that X Motion is supposed to be, it's effectively that to me.

If it weren't for the cross-hatch crappy pixels for pc use, I'd say that the P55-F1 looks better and has more control on HDR and DV content but I'll recheck this. Sony locks it into one setting from what I can remember. I'll do more testing later.

Sony's upscaling is very, very legit though. Very noticeable on 1080p netflix and cable box tv.

Blooming doesn't seem to look worse than the Vizio though at least not from what I can remember.

I also found that Youtube looks very ugly on this TV unless it's 4K regardless of setting. Looks washed out. Not on our returned TCL 65 S4 and not on the Vizio P55-F1, youtube on those 2 looked great.

Gonna try PS4 gaming on it later and I'll give another ding on this set if it really caps effective brightness/luminance in game mode because other sets we tried didn't do that. I hope the game mode brightness capping is just a bug or just on our set.

Last edited by tubers; 12-31-2018 at 03:24 PM.
tubers is offline  
post #5753 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
tubers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitton1 View Post
yes that what I said if he like bright tv oled not for him , oled can burn in less than 48h , I see a guy who is arc turn on his tv at night he got burn in less than 12h , here a link burn in in less then 48h https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-emb...-at-tradeshow/ Samsung make a test oled be q9 oled burn in less than 12 hours too . https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_7ai7dTGTeo if he like bright tv , game , static content 900f is the tv for him
That's only half the test. Have they tried playing more regular content after to see if it's a real burn in (permanent) vs image retention (temporary).

Still, I bet they'll soon get burn in if they keep playing that game as common sense dictates, the skill bars are gonna get imprints much faster than other areas on the screen.
dwhitton1 likes this.
tubers is offline  
post #5754 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 04:15 PM
Member
 
dwhitton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Camera cannot see the bright area but I'll try to upload the coin and dark smear sometime. I hate transferring photos or using the Cloud.



Yes. I found most other settings very under saturated. I can now understand how some people find the X900F dull. It might be the closest thing to a calibrated display but I guess our preferences are for more poppy colors. Skin looks so off with our set, very dull even with colors at 70+ and live color on. Tried pushing some red settings, still looks bad.

It's blasphemous but the 65 TCL S4 we had have good skin tones. Skin looks real. Vizio P55 Skin looks too yellow green. X900F skin just looks washed out.

I guess this is the sad reality of not having calibration tools or getting used to uncalibrated IPS tv over the years. It's too ingrained in my head to adjust to what could be correct colors.



Same. To give HDR pop I had to crank things up to give it that pop but it seems to wash out too many bright areas specially on skin.

Yes. Dolby looks weird on this. It's really weird that SDR looks so good though.

I also didn't find the X Motion Clarity, set to 1, amazing. It's effectively the same as the weird added motion the TCL 65 S4 we had that cannot be turned off (Clear Motion 120 marketing on a 60 hz panel). Regardless of how advanced that X Motion is supposed to be, it's effectively that to me.

If it weren't for the cross-hatch crappy pixels for pc use, I'd say that the P55-F1 looks better and has more control on HDR and DV content but I'll recheck this. Sony locks it into one setting from what I can remember. I'll do more testing later.

Sony's upscaling is very, very legit though. Very noticeable on 1080p netflix and cable box tv.

Blooming doesn't seem to look worse than the Vizio though at least not from what I can remember.

I also found that Youtube looks very ugly on this TV unless it's 4K regardless of setting. Looks washed out. Not on our returned TCL 65 S4 and not on the Vizio P55-F1, youtube on those 2 looked great.

Gonna try PS4 gaming on it later and I'll give another ding on this set if it really caps effective brightness/luminance in game mode because other sets we tried didn't do that. I hope the game mode brightness capping is just a bug or just on our set.
the 900f it's one of the best for skin tone out of the box , maybe you got a defective screen .
the Vizio p75 F1 I try was having better black and more tuning in dv in netflix . the problem I try 3 Vizio all of them was defective see true screen led light dimming zones . hdmi , wifi , banding , light bleeding , flashlighting , name it I see it .
tubers likes this.
dwhitton1 is offline  
post #5755 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 04:31 PM
Member
 
dboothe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottwoodwork View Post
I have had the 65 900f for a little over a month. I am underwhelmed by the tv. Seems like a lot of the details are lost in high brightness scenes. Also the dark dolby vision is pretty crappy even with brightness contrast and gamma cranked. I like a picture with punch or pop. Played around with the settings for quite sometime and cant seem to dial in a great overall picture. The motion handling is great and was the reason I returned the Q6fn. This is my first LCD tv coming from plasma.

I am considering getting the Z9D or Q8fn. Any opinions on these 2 panels vs 900f?
Had the same thoughts. I used these setting and I'm pretty happy with the set.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57300166
dboothe is offline  
post #5756 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 05:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
Kevin,

Question for you. How did you connect your wired network to the TV then? As you have no router, I assume you didn't try a WiFi connection, correct?

Although I do have a router, I was able to hardwire my TV and update its firmware. I also switched a bunch of stuff off (I'm looking at you, Samba) before rebooting it and unplugging the network cable.

One other thought, if your (cable?) modem is only connected to your PC, then your TV had no network type connection, in the first place, and I would say what you saw was correct.

Ultimately, if the TV is your 2nd item on the network, then you may well need to find a way to share the connection between the PC and the TV. Like a 5 port unmanaged network switch. Also, and although you don't have a router par say, does the modem have more than one output port? Like a WAN (yellow) and 1 - or more - LAN (white) type ports? If it does, then get another network cable and plug that into one of the spare white ports and the TV.

One other question, how is your PC getting internet?

Just some thoughts for you.

Seggers
Thanks for responding. I'm not connected to a Network, i'm connected to my TV via HDMI 4 on TV to the Cable box. My Modem is connected to my PC via HDMI 2, my HDMI 3 port is connected via ARC on my A/V receiver.
My Sony TV, STB, Modem, PC, and Receiver are performing flawlessly, no complaints.
I have Spectrum Cable Silver package including most Premiums, my PC and TV gives me me 4K or at least 1080p. My settup is through HDMI. I have high speed Internet.
But i would like to expand to the Network and use the streaming abilties with Android, Netflix, etc,
basically using the TV to its fullest, that is why i decided on the Sony 900f instead of going the cheaper route with TCL and Vizio.
I tried hooking up to the Network but my PC doesn't have an extra Ethernet port, just the one going from Modem to my PC. I was under the impression that i could connect to a Network without buying a Router or an extender, i would need multiple ethernet ports.

So i will purchase a good Router, not for gaming, but for Streaming 4K with one or more of devices that offer me choices to downgrade my Cable package to "Select" and then use the full ability of the 900f.
My STB with Spectrum has no plans for 4K or even 1080p, unlike Infinity cable or Directv, at least they are trying.
What i may do is keep Spectrum locals with Sports, and then use my Network for everything else.
My Cable TV with 1080i is fine, and my PC is awesome with 4k or nearly 4k......but i think Streaming is the way to go now.
Kevin Cushing is offline  
post #5757 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 10:01 PM
Newbie
 
Rayvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I turned on my Samsung 65JS8500 (I think that's my model?) on Christmas morning and....NOTHING!
Stand by light was a solid on, and after I turned it on it was blinking for around 5 seconds and than to a total black screen, I tried everything to revive her and no joy.
I took my patient to the hospital and the prognosis should get back to my by 1/2/2019 but I couldn't wait, I purchased the X900F.
Now on to my question,
How the heck do I get into the 'EXTERNAL INPUT SETTINGS"? I just can't figure it out because I'm a bit of a luddite.

Thanks as always,
Ray
Rayvid is offline  
post #5758 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 11:18 PM
Member
 
dwhitton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvid View Post
I turned on my Samsung 65JS8500 (I think that's my model?) on Christmas morning and....NOTHING!
Stand by light was a solid on, and after I turned it on it was blinking for around 5 seconds and than to a total black screen, I tried everything to revive her and no joy.
I took my patient to the hospital and the prognosis should get back to my by 1/2/2019 but I couldn't wait, I purchased the X900F.
Now on to my question,
How the heck do I get into the 'EXTERNAL INPUT SETTINGS"? I just can't figure it out because I'm a bit of a luddite.

Thanks as always,
Ray
hello you have the action menus button for setting for each device or program like YouTube or Netflix or DVD or console , and you have home button where you have to go setting down the page for other setting .
dwhitton1 is offline  
post #5759 of 9177 Old 12-31-2018, 11:49 PM
Newbie
 
Rayvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Found it, thanks dwhitton1!
canyoncreek and dwhitton1 like this.
Rayvid is offline  
post #5760 of 9177 Old 01-01-2019, 12:23 AM
Senior Member
 
tubers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitton1 View Post
the 900f it's one of the best for skin tone out of the box , maybe you got a defective screen .
the Vizio p75 F1 I try was having better black and more tuning in dv in netflix . the problem I try 3 Vizio all of them was defective see true screen led light dimming zones . hdmi , wifi , banding , light bleeding , flashlighting , name it I see it .
That is quite a possibility and so is the possibility of me getting used to uncalibrated sets with browner skin than normal.

I hope I get better luck with the P65-F1 but might not even go for it anymore.

I'm fickle so right now, either X850F IPS or SK9000.

I wish the x900f had a setting that puts more brown on the skin since Vivid was very bright and poppy as hell!.. except the skin.

It's also possible that my eyes suck.

I hate you, OLED! Why you have burn in!
tubers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off