2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4258Likes

post #5761 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Anyone have their 900f connected to the LAN port using Google Wi-Fi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
That is quite a possibility and so is the possibility of me getting used to uncalibrated sets with browner skin than normal.

I hope I get better luck with the P65-F1 but might not even go for it anymore.

I'm fickle so right now, either X850F IPS or SK9000.

I wish the x900f had a setting that puts more brown on the skin since Vivid was very bright and poppy as hell!.. except the skin.

It's also possible that my eyes suck.

I hate you, OLED! Why you have burn in!
Just used BT2020 color space. What a game changer. I'll test it out more tom. Skin looks much better. Just had to adjust color tint and color temp a bit.
post #5763 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Just used BT2020 color space. What a game changer. I'll test it out more tom. Skin looks much better. Just had to adjust color tint and color temp a bit.
BT2020 color space is for BT2020 color space, it is not a color or "effect" setting. This is similar to watching an NTSC video in PAL and saying it looks better. :-\

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5764 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

YouTube HDR using the built in YouTube app

I may have posted this previous, but here is the deal with YouTube HDR on the X900F.

The built in YouTube app will not trigger HDR, but you can do this manually in the picture settings menu. For HDR playback, find an HDR video, then change the HDR from AUTO to HDR10 or HLG depending on the type of video you are watching, then change color space from AUTO to BT2020. The HDR content will now properly display in all its HDR glory just as it would on an external Chromecast.

It is possible in certain cases to "cast" an HDR video from an Android device or PC and have the internal app auto trigger HDR, but this is really hit and miss in my testing, much easier to just toggle the settings manually. Remember to toggle them back to AUTO after you are done watching YouTube, or for SDR content, or else things will look wrong on other content.

Paul
post #5765 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remark900 View Post
Coming from a 55 inch Samsung JU7100 I am looking at upgrading to a 65 inch TV...and I am interested in the 900f and Z9D...

My main question - am I going to notice a huge improvement besides the 10 inch screen size or am I best waiting for CES for something like microLED?
I upgraded from a 40" JU7100 to my 49" X900F, and I can assure you the differences far exceed just screen size! The colors and more vibrant and everything is just clearer and prettier. Also important is the 2-3x peak brightness for SDR and HDR content, that makes a huge difference.

Paul
post #5766 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cushing View Post
Thanks for responding. I'm not connected to a Network, i'm connected to my TV via HDMI 4 on TV to the Cable box. My Modem is connected to my PC via HDMI 2, my HDMI 3 port is connected via ARC on my A/V receiver.
My Sony TV, STB, Modem, PC, and Receiver are performing flawlessly, no complaints.
I have Spectrum Cable Silver package including most Premiums, my PC and TV gives me me 4K or at least 1080p. My settup is through HDMI. I have high speed Internet.
But i would like to expand to the Network and use the streaming abilties with Android, Netflix, etc,
basically using the TV to its fullest, that is why i decided on the Sony 900f instead of going the cheaper route with TCL and Vizio.
I tried hooking up to the Network but my PC doesn't have an extra Ethernet port, just the one going from Modem to my PC. I was under the impression that i could connect to a Network without buying a Router or an extender, i would need multiple ethernet ports.

So i will purchase a good Router, not for gaming, but for Streaming 4K with one or more of devices that offer me choices to downgrade my Cable package to "Select" and then use the full ability of the 900f.
My STB with Spectrum has no plans for 4K or even 1080p, unlike Infinity cable or Directv, at least they are trying.
What i may do is keep Spectrum locals with Sports, and then use my Network for everything else.
My Cable TV with 1080i is fine, and my PC is awesome with 4k or nearly 4k......but i think Streaming is the way to go now.
Kevin,

I think you may be getting your terms mixed up.
The modem will have your internet connection. That will have an Ethernet cable that goes to the PC. That's how you get outside your house to get the internet and streaming services.

The various units in your house will all pass content via an HDMI cable. That's what you use to connect the video card in your PC to the TV or the TV to the set top box. That only transfers sound and vision.

In order to get the outside internet to talk to your TV, you will need to connect an Ethernet cable into it, on one end, and the other will need to go into a different slot on your modem/router/switch.

These are 2 separate and distinct transport methods and are not interchangeable.

If the PC has the internet and you can't get a cable into the TV, you could always stream from the PC into the TV using its HDMI connection.

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #5767 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello guys and happy new year!!I have a little problem i want to share with you,in case someone can help.
I got X900F55" and using it as monitor for Pc/PS4.The problem i have is,that when i change from PS4 to PC,many times the input logo is stuck (and at a lower resolution than usual).
I can still see the picture from PC,but there no visible menu when pressing the remote,the only way to change input again is by ear.After i blindly manage to change input usually on Tv it goes back to normal again.

This is something that is happening quite often.And in a recent check that i did (by going to service menu).I have seen i got 5 Tcon errors.Aside from this problem tho i dont recall to have any other problem with the Tv.
Anyone had the same problem before?And if you can please check your Tcon errors especially if your Tv is problem free.Thanks a lot for any help.
tubers likes this.
post #5768 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6521 Post(s)
Liked: 6497
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
If you are in the process of upgrading your system why buy soon to be out of date/obsolete cables? I know I wouldn't but people selling HDMI cables might want you to as they will have to get rid of them. At the moment only Belkin is selling them and they are expensive, $29.00. Here are the facts about Ultra High Speed HDMI cables (2.1). Knowledge is king, then make up your own mind.
https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx
That not bad a $29 I was just having a conversation about HDMI 2.1, not telling you not to buy what you want I wonder with nothing being out today that is 2.1, it makes me wonder if these cables may be lacking something as you can't really test them on devises made by other manufacturers .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottwoodwork View Post

I am considering getting the Z9D or Q8fn. Any opinions on these 2 panels vs 900f?
Most would say the Z9D is the best on the list
post #5769 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
hello you can do real color high , and 70 at color will work too .
tubers likes this.
post #5770 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've been reading this forum the past few days in a effort to learn some things about setting up our new x900F. It's for certain you cannot learn much from the pathetic Sony documentation nor their online help. I could sure benefit from some of your knowledge regarding the understanding of how you determine just what is playing with respect to the various UHD formats. I "think" the following is true.

1) HD or UHD resolution and bit rates are displayed in the upper left corner when you press "display" on the remote. This is apparently true for streaming as well as input from other sources.

2) Dolby Vision will not be shown by the display button but may be verified by going to "picture mode" where a separate mode for DV will be shown. One may make changes to some elements of this "DV Mode" and these will be retained for establishing future DV performance. These changes will not effect other picture modes.

3) HDR, HDR10, and possibly others remain a bit of a mystery to me. I believe HDR will evoke it's own picture mode with modifications supported separately as was the case with DV but how, or where HDR10 is shown remains unknown?

All help kindly appreciated....
post #5771 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the 65 inch Sony X900F on Black Friday. It took me a couple of weeks to calibrate the settings. Here they are:

Main Menu
Picture Mode > Standard
Auto Picture Mode > Auto
Brightness > 30
Color > 56
Light Sensor > Off

Advanced Settings Menus:

Brightness Menu
Brightness > 30
Contrast > 60
Gamma > 0
Black Level > 50
Black Adjust > Off
Adv Contrast Enhancer > Off
Auto Local Dimming > High
X-tended Dynamic Range > Off

Color Menu
Color > 56
Hue > R4
Color Temperature Neutral
Live Color > Off

Clarity Menu
Sharpness > 70 (Cable) 65 (Apps)
Reality Creation > Auto
Random Noise Reduction > Off
Digital Noise Reduction > Off
Smooth Gradation > Low

Motion Menu
Motionflow > Standard
Cine Motion > High

Video Options Menu
HDR Mode > Auto
HDMI Video Range > Auto
Color Space > Auto
post #5772 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsan View Post

Color Menu

Color >56

Hue > R4

Someone likes a colorful picture
post #5773 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm having some difficulty with the dim HDR on the 900F. I have brightness and contrast cranked, with gamma at max as well. It seems...fine. I just am baffled that they don't allow you to dial in the settings more. Contemplating returning this for the Vizio P75. BB just dropped their price so the difference is almost as much as an entire TV. Wonder if I should and just slap a 5 year warranty on it.
srkmish likes this.
post #5774 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Larkins View Post
I'm having some difficulty with the dim HDR on the 900F. I have brightness and contrast cranked, with gamma at max as well. It seems...fine. I just am baffled that they don't allow you to dial in the settings more. Contemplating returning this for the Vizio P75. BB just dropped their price so the difference is almost as much as an entire TV. Wonder if I should and just slap a 5 year warranty on it.
big no no no I had 3 p75f1 all of them defective week 24 30 33 here a post https://forums.redflagdeals.com/cost...99-2248771/10/ look at javacu post too he return couple p75 too , in 75 inch Vizio is too risky , for dv and hdr I return to standard Netflix hd my plan change tomorrow , will make some test and see but dv is not there yet .

Last edited by dwhitton1; 01-01-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #5775 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Thanks, and while I understand that, the following comments in that thread seem to make good counter points as well. At the end of the day, I feel like I can live with it. More a/b testing seems to show it's mostly a netflix thing I suppose. Hard to decide though with the price drop for the vizio.

Last edited by Ben Larkins; 01-01-2019 at 06:22 PM.
post #5776 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Curious if anyone using the native Prime Video app has intermittent audio cut-outs. Seems when watching any programming on Prime Video the sound cuts out for a second every 5-10 minutes. I have a wired network connection and using optical connection to my AVR. Seems its only the Prime Video app having an issue (at least from what I can tell).
post #5777 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag66 View Post
Curious if anyone using the native Prime Video app has intermittent audio cut-outs. Seems when watching any programming on Prime Video the sound cuts out for a second every 5-10 minutes. I have a wired network connection and using optical connection to my AVR. Seems its only the Prime Video app having an issue (at least from what I can tell).

Of all the apps I've used with my Sony 900F - the Amazon Prime app has, by far, the most audio drop outs and video issues. I've seen it both from the native Android app as well as my Roku Player. And - with ARC or an optical connection. So - it's not your set, IMHO. It's the Amazon Prime app that is causing the problem.
Leo the 3rd and Tag66 like this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #5778 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I calibrated my set, and it came to 100cd/m at brightness of 5, with black level of 0.036cd/m.
0.036cdm2 with local dimming on (Low, Medium) ?
post #5779 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Amazon Video is the worst app EVER. If I so much as press the volume up or down on the TV while playing, it will freeze, stutter, and most of the time the audio will be out of sync until I close ad reopen the app. I just went and bought a Firestick 4K for Amazon Prime Dolby Vision. $35 well spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
0.036cdm2 with local dimming on (Low, Medium) ?
That was my old all effects off calibration, which was done with no local dimming, and 10% target box. I have since recalibrated with local dimming and a 50% box (local dimming messes with the gamma RGB and dE) which came to 0.028 with local dimming high and contrast 100 for a 100cdm calibration. The size of the target box with local dimming on will effect the black level due to adjacent zone bleedover, and if you use HCFR black override for your actual black reading, it will alter how your 0-20% levels must be adjusted. I suggest to calibrate as you intend to watch the TV, as the settings such as LD or even BFI will change the readings. The larger the target area, the lower the black achievable, and the better all dark scene low range gamma tracking accuracy with black override. IMO

Paul
Tag66 likes this.
post #5780 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 08:18 PM

I'm not pro calibrator. Just want to know about viewing experience in dark room. When watching SDR content in dark room with panel calibrated to 100-120cdm2 and Local Dimming on High how black bars in movies does looks like? Real black or more gray?
post #5781 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

When you press display button, the input will show on the upper left, the resolution aspect ratio and audio format in the upper right. For 1080p25/30/50/60 it will say 1920p, for 1080p24 is will say 1080p 24hz, for 1080p120, it will say 1080p 120hz, for 4K it will never tell you 24Hz. This display doesn't work on the apps, as they are not an input. On Netflix, display will pull up the Nexflix resolution and streaming bitrate. For DV, you get a specific single DV picture adjustment setting. For HDR10, or HLG, you get the same full set of picture adjustment options for all modes, only the brightness is set to MAX. You can lower it if you want, but defeats the purpose. All other settings remain as you had them for SDR when HDR is detected. Pretty much ever input has its own full set of adjustments saved separately, apps share their own values separate from HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testpattern View Post
I've been reading this forum the past few days in a effort to learn some things about setting up our new x900F. It's for certain you cannot learn much from the pathetic Sony documentation nor their online help. I could sure benefit from some of your knowledge regarding the understanding of how you determine just what is playing with respect to the various UHD formats. I "think" the following is true.

1) HD or UHD resolution and bit rates are displayed in the upper left corner when you press "display" on the remote. This is apparently true for streaming as well as input from other sources.

2) Dolby Vision will not be shown by the display button but may be verified by going to "picture mode" where a separate mode for DV will be shown. One may make changes to some elements of this "DV Mode" and these will be retained for establishing future DV performance. These changes will not effect other picture modes.

3) HDR, HDR10, and possibly others remain a bit of a mystery to me. I believe HDR will evoke it's own picture mode with modifications supported separately as was the case with DV but how, or where HDR10 is shown remains unknown?

All help kindly appreciated....
SSLVO likes this.
post #5782 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
I'm not pro calibrator. Just want to know about viewing experience in dark room. When watching SDR content in dark room with panel calibrated to 100-120cdm2 and Local Dimming on High how black bars in movies does looks like? Real black or more gray?
For letterbox with a 100cdm calibration, you are looking at maybe 0.03cdm average black level, so pretty much invisible on BluRay playback. The apps have a calibration with a significantly lower black level, so less noticeable on Netflix SDR for instance.

Paul
post #5783 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
you are looking at maybe 0.03cdm average black level
Pretty all the same results as previous 900E. I thought +15 zones give some boost in black level reproduction.
post #5784 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitton1 View Post
hello you can do real color high , and 70 at color will work too .
Yeah. Actually came back to "Auto". BT2020 looked amazing last night but it completely wrecks red.

Back to "Auto" and ramping up Color.

Brown/skin just looks completely different on our old IPS. I did a side by side test a few minutes ago. Everything was better though, deep darks, even viewing angles LOL.

Red and Brown looks just weird on VA in my eyes.

There's only one user who somewhat related to me with this in the Vizio P 2018 thread.

Only one solution now! Get moah money and buy 3 sets! oled, VA and IPS
post #5785 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 09:12 PM

Has anyone noticed aggressive blooming on HDR and DV while the SDR content has very tame blooming?

local dimming all on high.
post #5786 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Actually came back to "Auto". BT2020 looked amazing last night but it completely wrecks red.

Brown/skin just looks completely different on our old IPS. I did a side by side test a few minutes ago. Everything was better though, deep darks, even viewing angles LOL.

There's only one user who somewhat related to me with this in the Vizio P 2018 thread.

Aside from BT2020 there are other options to boost color.and not as exaggerated as Bt2020 is Dci and Adobe.I only use Bt2020 in games that lack color,like red dead redemption 2...
tubers likes this.
post #5787 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanasis Xrisatzas View Post
Aside from BT2020 there are other options to boost color.and not as exaggerated as Bt2020 is Dci and Adobe.I only use Bt2020 in games that lack color,like red dead redemption 2...

HLG also looks great with some tweeks.I used to have a Samsung tv and HLG is giving me a very similar color pop with the wide color option that Samsung has.What i love with this Tv is that you have many options to tweek your color preferences.And what i dont like is that these options are hidden from regular tv contest....I wish there was a hack to make them available on regular Tv v channels too.
tubers likes this.
post #5788 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
HLG also looks great with some tweeks.I used to have a Samsung tv and HLG is giving me a very similar color pop with the wide color option that Samsung has.What i love with this Tv is that you have many options to tweek your color preferences.And what i dont like is that these options are hidden from regular tv contest....I wish there was a hack to make them available on regular Tv v channels too.
Thanks. I'll try tom.

RDR2 looks ugly on this TV compared to Horizon Zero Dawn. RDR2 looks better on my 8 year old IPS TN panel through DVI
post #5789 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I'll try tom.

RDR2 looks ugly on this TV compared to Horizon Zero Dawn. RDR2 looks better on my 8 year old IPS TN panel through DVI

It looks "ugly" because it is....the colors they used sucks big time.I guess they wanted to give a "colorless" far west style...but i dont like it at all.Only remedy for this is BT2020 color space (not HDR BT2020 that looks ugly...)
tubers and srkmish like this.
post #5790 of 9393 Old 01-01-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:

have you try the last option in color setting in french is couleur réelle should be real color english set it to max the red will pop more . for dv and hdr in netflix i am going back regular hd by tomorow my plan will be downgrade to regular hd .
tubers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page