2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 213 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4351Likes

post #6361 of 9719 Old 01-19-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Labs View Post
I'm sure you can. My harmony hub isn't as "elite" and I can teach mine. There are not shortcut codes, though. You need to find the learning mode for your remote. I don't have the manual for yours, and a quick google search didn't come up with it. I'll try again in the morning assuming we have power here!

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...rmony-database

I think this is it. Will work on it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG OLED-65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 9719 Old 01-19-2019, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick G View Post
Is there a TV of similar size to the 85” 900F that’s very close in quality but with noticeably better off-axis viewing?
The only comparable TV, including price point is the QN82Q8FN.
post #6363 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Opala View Post
Current BFI implementations on these displays are nearly useless and if anything more distracting than not in regular use cases. I would advocate Motionflow settings over BFI to smooth/process the motion out a bit to your liking with minimal artifacting.

With Motionflow imput lag is 81 ms,for gaming is not 'fantastic'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6364 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleStrife View Post
With Motionflow imput lag is 81 ms,for gaming is not 'fantastic'.

For 1080p 60.For 1080p 120 it shroud be below 40ms.And if you go above 120 it can be even better...Except if you only have consoles...then you are "screwed" lol
post #6365 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone, I bought this tv two weeks ago and i impressed with the high quality and rich blacks color (contrast really) , but i have some doubts about DLNA (most important ) and 120 hz.

1) I mount a plex server ( or any media server from windows 10 ) and the videos on mkv looks fantastic (i prefer to use Video native app from tv) , but my big problem with that, are the subtitles, i can´t find a way to integrate a external srt from dlna (i try to avoid yo use a external hdd). Plex app let me put a external srt subtitle, but i have some artifacts on screen (border top and bottom look 'gray' ) , and for some reason, plex cannot use dts compressed (convert to dolby digital , and not like it at all that idea ) so i use native app + plex server. There is a way to play video file with subtitle through DLNA ?

2) About 120hz , there's a way to damage the tv forcing 1080p 120hz on pc ? .

PD: Another thing, there's is way to low subtitle bright when hdr is activated ?

Thanks !
post #6366 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all, looking for advice from 900f owners.

I am in Canada and love in the country. Limited to Satellite maxed out at 720p. We have a theater room with a JVC dla-x790r so our 900f wouldn't be used for movies. I might hookup my xbox but that's just for fun, non online.

Am I wasting my money going with a 75 inch 900f? Should I just get something cheaper being my limited input signal?
post #6367 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by defter View Post
Hi Everyone, I bought this tv two weeks ago and i impressed with the high quality and rich blacks color (contrast really) , but i have some doubts about DLNA (most important ) and 120 hz.

1) I mount a plex server ( or any media server from windows 10 ) and the videos on mkv looks fantastic (i prefer to use Video native app from tv) , but my big problem with that, are the subtitles, i can´t find a way to integrate a external srt from dlna (i try to avoid yo use a external hdd). Plex app let me put a external srt subtitle, but i have some artifacts on screen (border top and bottom look 'gray' ) , and for some reason, plex cannot use dts compressed (convert to dolby digital , and not like it at all that idea ) so i use native app + plex server. There is a way to play video file with subtitle through DLNA ?

2) About 120hz , there's a way to damage the tv forcing 1080p 120hz on pc ? .

PD: Another thing, there's is way to low subtitle bright when hdr is activated ?

Thanks !

For your second question this Tv is far more capable than 120hz,it can go above 200hz without breaking a sweat.So no it wont damage it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50303779_2201912720126880_3227072468678082560_n.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	2513590  

Last edited by Thanasis Xrisatzas; 01-20-2019 at 11:42 AM.
post #6368 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Anyone use “hue play” lights behind your X900F tv? If so how many would I want for a 65” ? 1 or 2?

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #6369 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibze View Post

I am in Canada and love in the country. Limited to Satellite maxed out at 720p. We have a theater room with a JVC dla-x790r so our 900f wouldn't be used for movies. I might hookup my xbox but that's just for fun, non online.

Am I wasting my money going with a 75 inch 900f? Should I just get something cheaper being my limited input signal?
If you are mainly just watching satellite and occasionally hooking up an Xbox, I don't see any reason to spend a bunch of money on a TV like this. I would just get something like the Samsung NU8000.
PlanetAVS and Sibze like this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6370 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
screen goes black for a few seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testpattern View Post
Encouraged by several responses confirming the likelihood of my HDMI cables, I ran a simple experiment to pin down the black screen blanking observed. Since my problem was worse on material coming from my Sony UBP-x800 I elected to bypass my AVR using a known good cable instead of the two unknown cables going to and from the AVR. This one cable goes from the Player directly to the 900F.

Problem totally eliminated... No blanking period.

So I now believe my problem is definitely cables since my Yamaha AVR is certified for all forms of 4k and is only used in the pass through mode. New "Premium" cables ordered to replace every "High Speed ?" cable in my various 4k signal paths. If my new cables are not marked as premium, I'll insure they do get permanently identified since most of my HDMI cables carry no identification as to what they are.
Did replacing your HDMI cable from A/V to Sony resolve this issue? I started having the same issue. I have a 4k 18gbps cable going from AV to Sony, so I'm a little leary if that is the issue. I did change inputs on the Sony, (hdmi 3 to 1 to 2), but still eventually went black regardless of source (xfinity x1 or sony x700).

If you are resolved, what HDMI did you end up getting? Thanks!

Anthem mrx-720, Sunfire Cinema Grand 400-7, GoldenEar Aon 3 L-R, GoldenEar SuperSat3 Surround, Paradigm Millenia 20 Center, Intimus L6-IC Height, SVS PB-1000 sub, atmos 5.1.4
post #6371 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 425
New owner - observations..

The main thing I am finding as I setup this set, is that I am reminded once again how much xfinity sucks for non “premium” content.

I get a new TV about every 2 or 3 years and it’s always the same story. A reminder of why I don’t watch much super compressed content. HBO, Showtime, CBS, ABC etc are all really pretty awesome from the xfinity STB but most other stuff, FOX, ESPN, and my local NBC Sports network are all terrible.

The picture quality on this set with a decent feed is spectacular and worth the trade off.

The only content I routinely watch that I don’t have an alternative source for that works perfectly is NBC Sports New England. As a result my local Celtics games are pretty hard to watch - even on the app from the Apple TV. I just need to remind myself that it also looks like crap on my old set, and it also looks like crap on an LG OLED set we have in the living room. This Sony is seemingly more sensitive to crappy feeds then most TVs however.

Luckily my NESN channel from the xfinity box is still very good for live content so the Bruins and Redsox games will be OK.

So far - The streaming apps fix the natGO, Fox and ESPN compression problems (vs xfinity) in spectacular fashion and hockey on the NHL app is the best hockey picture I have ever seen.

Hopefully HDR with DV will improve with updates - it works great on much of the content I have tested with but it is too dim on a lot of it. Luckily the Apple TV can be configured to pull SDR or HDR10 form Netflix and amazon if I force it to do so, for content that I am interested in finishing but can’t tolerate in DV mode.

Overall I love this TV with the options available regarding HDR provided by an Apple TV or similarly configurable source.

To me - This Sony (with a good feed) has a picture that is 95% as nice as my 3 year old OLED set but with better motion handling for far less than an OLED
JJK
VTENGR, srkmish and mhyatt5871 like this.
post #6372 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJK1 View Post
New owner - observations..

The main thing I am finding as I setup this set, is that I am reminded once again how much xfinity sucks for non “premium” content.

I get a new TV about every 2 or 3 years and it’s always the same story. A reminder of why I don’t watch much super compressed content. HBO, Showtime, CBS, ABC etc are all really pretty awesome from the xfinity STB but most other stuff, FOX, ESPN, and my local NBC Sports network are all terrible.

The picture quality on this set with a decent feed is spectacular and worth the trade off.

The only content I routinely watch that I don’t have an alternative source for that works perfectly is NBC Sports New England. As a result my local Celtics games are pretty hard to watch - even on the app from the Apple TV. I just need to remind myself that it also looks like crap on my old set, and it also looks like crap on an LG OLED set we have in the living room. This Sony is seemingly more sensitive to crappy feeds then most TVs however.

Luckily my NESN channel from the xfinity box is still very good for live content so the Bruins and Redsox games will be OK.

So far - The streaming apps fix the natGO, Fox and ESPN compression problems (vs xfinity) in spectacular fashion and hockey on the NHL app is the best hockey picture I have ever seen.

Hopefully HDR with DV will improve with updates - it works great on much of the content I have tested with but it is too dim on a lot of it. Luckily the Apple TV can be configured to pull SDR or HDR10 form Netflix and amazon if I force it to do so, for content that I am interested in finishing but can’t tolerate in DV mode.

Overall I love this TV with the options available regarding HDR provided by an Apple TV or similarly configurable source.

To me - This Sony (with a good feed) has a picture that is 95% as nice as my 3 year old OLED set but with better motion handling for far less than an OLED
JJK
Yeah, and from what I have gathered, Sony's upscaling used to actually be better for lower quality content. I finally got my Directv picture looking pretty good after tweaking the clarity settings to be just right. Overall, I love this TV. The HDR looks great to me, even Dolby Vision from the built in apps.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6373 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Anyone use “hue play” lights behind your X900F tv? If so how many would I want for a 65” ? 1 or 2?

I'm using the Hue LightStrip Plus with 2 Extensions for a total of 160". Perfect for my 65". A bit costly but work great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #6374 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Maybe i'm re-evaluating 'clearness 1' (BFI) with console gaming : with 30 fps games it could make sense.

I see the duplications with BFI,but in fast camera movement i notice them a little less.

Camera/visual movements with 30 fps games on a 4k resolution screen are bad regardless in my opinion..a 4k game played on this tv need at least 60 fps (in my opionion) for mitigate the difference between static and motion image.

So ,'bad for bad', with the BFI the image at least is more clear with 30 fps games when i turn the camera.

Last edited by AleStrife; 01-20-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #6375 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanasis Xrisatzas View Post
For your second question this Tv is far more capable than 120hz,it can go above 200hz without breaking a sweat.So no it wont damage it.
Thanks !, i am gonna try ! , now i just trying to resolve the dlna subtitles ( and how i can down the bright when i play hdr content) .

Again , Thanks!
post #6376 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Just went through 5 TVs trying to get a really good multi-purpose 55" screen.

Started with a TCL 55R617 that had the worst banding and grey conformity ever. That was so bad I got the 55X900F. Then Dell had an amazing deal this week on the Vizio P55-F1 that Best Buy matched and so I exchanged the 900F for it. The cost was just too good to pass up. With all the reviews, I thought I was going to be able to save quite a bit. Well, the Vizios had no banding, but the first one had the worst DSE I've ever seen. It looked like my dog had licked the inside of the screen. I tried another P55 and that one was MUCH better, but HDR gaming, especially a game like RDR2 with a lot of sky shots, absolutely kills the experience on a screen with even a little bit of DSE. I also cannot stand the Smartcast experience. I thought I would buy an Apple TV to overcome that and still save money, but just couldn't put up with the screen.

So, went back in today and would you believe my original X900F was still in stock? I put it through every test I could think of today. Man, this screen is absolutely perfect. After seeing the Vizio and TCL, I REALLY appreciate the Sony quality. After setting up everything in detail, it is really amazing how good it is. And it really makes me appreciate the couple a hundred bucks difference I paid. Kind of funny to re-purchase your own open box buy and save almost $100 because of it. Haha

Drove the Best Buy kid crazy I got the money off, but the manager just shook his head and laughed...

Cuthalu, srkmish and mhyatt5871 like this.
post #6377 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaClone View Post

Started with a TCL 55R617 that had the worst banding and grey conformity ever. That was so bad I got the 55X900F. Then Dell had an amazing deal this week on the Vizio P55-F1 that Best Buy matched and so I exchanged the 900F for it. The cost was just too good to pass up. With all the reviews, I thought I was going to be able to save quite a bit. Well, the Vizios had no banding, but the first one had the worst DSE I've ever seen. It looked like my dog had licked the inside of the screen. I tried another P55 and that one was MUCH better, but HDR gaming, especially a game like RDR2 with a lot of sky shots, absolutely kills the experience on a screen with even a little bit of DSE. I also cannot stand the Smartcast experience. I thought I would buy an Apple TV to overcome that and still save money, but just couldn't put up with the screen.

So, went back in today and would you believe my original X900F was still in stock? I put it through every test I could think of today. Man, this screen is absolutely perfect. After seeing the Vizio and TCL, I REALLY appreciate the Sony quality. After setting up everything in detail, it is really amazing how good it is. And it really makes me appreciate the couple a hundred bucks difference I paid. Kind of funny to re-purchase your own open box buy and save almost $100 because of it. Haha

Drove the Best Buy kid crazy I got the money off, but the manager just shook his head and laughed...

Thanks for sharing. I was tempted over the new year to return the Sony as I was not a big fan of the Android experience and had some artifacts. Good news - it was digital artifacts only when in android app. I was ready to buy the new TCL 75". I was right on the last day of return contemplating my return.

However after much consideration I decided to keep the 65" 900F and I am glad I did after I did more tests and the panel is actually very good. Picture is amazing to me.

Now not sure why the Sony 900F update to Oreo is taking so long. I think I would be happier with a faster OS experience and played with the OREO OS at the store on their other upper models. Seemed to be more responsive.Hopefully will be out soon.

I think I would still enjoy the TCL, however the Sony's X1 processor just does a fantastic job with the variety of media. Blu Ray's look fantastic - Wow.
mhyatt5871 likes this.

Last edited by StMichaels; 01-20-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #6378 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaClone View Post

Yeah, I went through 3 Vizio P units, all with terrible DSE. Big panel lottery on that TV.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6379 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Use the AC adapter with a universal remote until Sony patches the problem.

I tested a few solutions, such as a uninterruptible power supply that runs off of USB (otherwise, even in the off position, the dimmer will experience a half duty cycle flash every time power is restored), but after spending (wasting) a lot of time on it, I decided not to invest more time and money on developing a product that would be made obsolete if the firmware bug is fixed.

Here's more info about the bug:

https://github.com/CiNcH83/bravia_atv2/issues/9
Did you say there was some sort of exchange program for the XL version of your medialight quad? I just finally unboxed mine and did a mock up and the standard is definitely not big enough.
post #6380 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Just got done watching the new Incredibles 2 movie on 4k. On my Sony 900F the Blu Ray actually looked better with colors etc.

I am curious for animation and that sort - What mode do you watch it in? I did not like it in Cinema Pro and tried all the other modes. Also did not like animation mode. However switched to Vivid and like it very much.

1) What is your preference mode for 4K (HDR and Dolby)
2) Watching animated movies in 4K or Blu Ray
3) Watching Blu Ray and Apps?

For me it is:
1) Cinema Pro
2) Vivid or Cinema Home
3) Mainly Cinema Home

Thx
post #6381 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
What is up with all this talk about Blooming??? I just got my 75" X900F today and im SUPER IMPRESSED!!! These complaints about Blooming was the only reason i held out on the X900F for the past 2 months, after going through 6 TV's i finally went for it i notice very little to no blooming here!

In the past 2 Months, i went through a 75" Q6FN, a 65" Z9D, a defective 75" Q7FN, and 3 65" Q8FN's all with bad DSE, and the X900F is my fav TV of the bunch right up there with the Q8!!!
Echoes my observations. Went to a home theater store the other night where they had a 85 inch 900f. We watched a movie for few minutes in the dark and it had stellar black levels, zero blooming, nice colors. I'm kinda glad I am not the avid TV analyst. The scenes in "The Martian" looked great to my eyes. Even Avatar 1080p upscaled to 4k looked spectacular.
imagic likes this.
post #6382 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Biased (but nice)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Send a message via Skype™ to Scenic Labs
There’s not a special exchange program for the quad. Just our usual 45 day return window applies.

Maybe time to stop selling the Quad on amazon and just sell the XL. I think this is going to be a common refrain even though it’s perfectly fine for virtually all TVs. I use the $25 eclipse plus a remote on my Bravia 65”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsv510 View Post
Did you say there was some sort of exchange program for the XL version of your medialight quad? I just finally unboxed mine and did a mock up and the standard is definitely not big enough.
post #6383 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I would try to find a used 75 inch 900E, which is the previous year model. You get the same great upscaler, screen quality, etc. at around half the price.

Main: Sony 75XBR900F
Bedroom: Sony 65XBR900E
Desktop: Sony 49XBR900E

Retired Units: Vizio P65-F, Vizio M653DSV, Samsung UN40KU6290
post #6384 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

try a 75 sharp at costco cheap price , i saw one at leon and brick i prefer this set over samsung for dollars spends . and costco have the best cheap 5 years warranty .
post #6385 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sure you can. My harmony hub isn't as "elite" and I can teach mine. There are not shortcut codes, though. You need to find the learning mode for your remote. I don't have the manual for yours, and a quick google search didn't come up with it. I'll try again in the morning assuming we have power here!
I got the new Quad XL lights and they are perfect! Also, I was able to program my Harmony Elite by learning the button presses from the MediaLight remote control and now I am able to turn them on/off with my activities. Just PERFECT! No more constant coming on and off while plugged into the USB port.

Thanks again, my friend!
Scenic Labs and VTENGR like this.

LG OLED-65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
post #6386 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am having a very small but irritating issue.

I have an Apple TV 4K and AT&T u-Verse DVR box connected to my Denon X4300H AVR.

• The ATV is connected to the Media Player HDMI input.
  • The DVR is connected to the CAB/SAT HDMI input.
  • The Denon is connected to the TV via ARC on HDMI 3.

Regardless if I am watching the ATV or DVR, the TV will always display the same picture mode and of course, I want to use CINEMA PRO for my ATV and say CUSTOM for my DVR.

I have tried setting AUTO PICTURE MODE to ON and OFF, but it will not differentiate the signal being fed between the ATV and DVR.

How come the TV is not detecting the different signals and letting me set a picture mode for each one?

Yes, I can get around this by connecting my DVR to HDMI 1 of the TV and then just using the ARC feature to send the audio to the AVR, but I want to keep things simple and not have another cable being routed to the TV.

Anyone has any idea how can I get the TV to recognize the different sources in the same HDMI port?

post #6387 of 9719 Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
I am having a very small but irritating issue.

I have an Apple TV 4K and AT&T u-Verse DVR box connected to my Denon X4300H AVR.

• The ATV is connected to the Media Player HDMI input.
  • The DVR is connected to the CAB/SAT HDMI input.
  • The Denon is connected to the TV via ARC on HDMI 3.

Regardless if I am watching the ATV or DVR, the TV will always display the same picture mode and of course, I want to use CINEMA PRO for my ATV and say CUSTOM for my DVR.

I have tried setting AUTO PICTURE MODE to ON and OFF, but it will not differentiate the signal being fed between the ATV and DVR.

How come the TV is not detecting the different signals and letting me set a picture mode for each one?

Yes, I can get around this by connecting my DVR to HDMI 1 of the TV and then just using the ARC feature to send the audio to the AVR, but I want to keep things simple and not have another cable being routed to the TV.

Anyone has any idea how can I get the TV to recognize the different sources in the same HDMI port?
I've only heard that auto picture mode can switch to game mode, when the 900F recognizes a gaming source. I just tried it from my Nvidia Shield but couldn't get it to work. Others have reported success though.

One other workaround which admittedly wouldn't be ideal, as it would still require another cable to the TV. Connect your other HDMI out port (the non ARC output HDMI port) from the AVR to another port on the 900F. Switch to this input when watching your DVR and set your custom settings to this input. It still requires an extra cable but at least it is easier to switch picture modes, with one or two clicks of the input button on the remote, instead of having to go into picture settings.
post #6388 of 9719 Old 01-21-2019, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just an update on the black screen issue...I hadn't had it happen for a few days and wouldn't ya know it, shortly after thinking about that, it happened twice yesterday. The second time was more telling and confirming it's a CEC issue:

The screen blacked out for a couple seconds (as usual) and instead of going back to my game (PS4), I was taken to my Shield TV where I had an error from an App crash (NFL app). Unfortunately, this happened just as I started a duel in RDR2 and of course I was dead and out money upon switching back to the game, lol.

So, I suspect that the other times are likely also interruptions from the Shield TV (or possibly the Xfinity box) as they are the only "always ON" boxes connected to my Onkyo receiver.
post #6389 of 9719 Old 01-21-2019, 07:47 AM
Biased (but nice)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Send a message via Skype™ to Scenic Labs
There were a number of reasons for our switch to infrared remotes, but interoperability with universal remotes and smart hubs was the #1 reason.

We also looked at using smart dimmers that could connect to bluetooth or wifi but, in addition to concerns about turning into a support call center for wifi and bluetooth connectivity issues, we realized that infrared was an elegant and low cost solution for smart home integration. We didn't have to increase costs to add a bluetooth or wifi dimmer (IR costs a bit more than RF, but a small enough difference that we could absorb the difference), we could still run off the TV's USB (when it doesn't act totally psycho, like the Bravia!), and we could continue to invest in improving the lights, rather than maintaining separate remote control apps for iOS, Android, etc. It's very easy to spread yourself too thin if you're not careful.

Did you need to use the 1m dc extension that we ship with the Quad XL? I originally toyed with making our 4-way splitter longer, but I knew that there'd be gnashing of teeth from people who already feel that our lights have too much wire on them*. There are some situations where the 1m splitter might be necessary to span the TV. By avoiding lengthening the entire splitter, we are able to avoid unnecessary voltage drop and the resulting loss in brightness.

*As for why we include that much wire on the Quad, we didn't used to have it quite as long, but a good percentage of users install the lights when the TV is pre-hung. We had to allow people to route the lights by going around the footprint of a flush mount rather than spanning the back of the TV.

Also, in case you wonder why we use 4 way splitters, when our 4 meter Flex is a single strip without a splitter, it all comes down to USB 5v compatibility and voltage drop. Once you start to get past 4m with LEDs, you can experience voltage drop, and the end of the strip is noticeably dimmer than the beginning. By including 4 strips in parallel circuit, you avoid this and also allow an array of lights to be placed on all 4 sides without "running out" of light strip before you cover all 4 sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
I got the new Quad XL lights and they are perfect! Also, I was able to program my Harmony Elite by learning the button presses from the MediaLight remote control and now I am able to turn them on/off with my activities. Just PERFECT! No more constant coming on and off while plugged into the USB port.

Thanks again, my friend!

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Publisher of Spears & Munsil Benchmark UHD HDR Benchmark.
Maker of The ISF-certified MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System

Last edited by Scenic Labs; 01-21-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #6390 of 9719 Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:

720P is still HD and still a good signal. Yes you will notice the difference between going with a FALD 900F compared with a cheaper edge lit alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page