2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4360Likes

post #6391 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hey all. I picked up a 75" 900f Saturday and am happy with my choice.

I've tried a few different calibration ideas from the other thread. Some I liked, others not so much but I'm still learning and will try a few other tweaks as time goes by.

Going to watch Coco in 4k tonight. Can't wait to see the colors.
perpotator likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Hey guys, not to stir the por or anything but I have a question...

If you had the chance to pick between these 2 sets, which on would you choose?

Sony 85X900F

LG 77C8P

Don't vet me wrong, the Sony is a great set but with my return window closing in on me (Jan 31st), these are the major points of concern for me which would make me miserable if I keep it:

- Dark corners
- Blooming
- Viewing angles
- Android TV

On the flip side, I just love these about the TV:

+ Size
+ Image processing
+ Motion handling
+ Natural colors

Having a LG 65C7P in my bedroom after serving in the living for a year does not help either, because I know how awesome the picture quality of an OLED is.

The biggest concerns with OLED right now usually are banding, poor motion handling (24p content mostly) and burn in.

Banding, I have some on my 65C7P which have not disappeared in the almost 2 years of usage. Safe to say they are here to stay. Not really a game changer, it's barely visible but one of those "once you see it, you can't un see it).

Poor motion handling, I've ready that now with the 120hz panel, it is much better. Maybe not as good as the Sony though.

And burn in, not really concerned because I won't game on it and we won't watch much cable TV with those damn station logos.

I can get the LG 77C8P for about $1,500 more than I paid for the 85X900F.

Should I stick with the Sony or jump on the LG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG OLED-65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
post #6393 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
After having today off and dealing with some super cold weather, I had some time to check out some shows and do a little gaming with the x900f.

One thing that I don't understand is why they only have ARC and HDMI 2 with full bandwidth ports. I tried an Apple TV at 30HZ and got it to look good, but the internal apps seem to look just a little better with the same picture settings.

I am not seeing the blooming everyone mentions. I can only imagine that the XDR and Auto Local Dimming settings are configured wrong for SDR content. The Rtings video really lays out the way to set that up. The RDR2 game in HDR with everything turned up high is better than my OLED B7. Absolutely gorgeous.

So far, I have to say this is starting to remind me of Trinitron. Probably a little over priced, but, no one else seems to come even close, so, really not over priced. The consistency in the screen output is excellent and conformity is better than all the other sets I tried.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6394 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

Sony 85X900F

LG 77C8P

Don't vet me wrong, the Sony is a great set but with my return window closing in on me (Jan 31st), these are the major points of concern for me which would make me miserable if I keep it:

- Dark corners
- Blooming
- Viewing angles
- Android TV

+ Size
+ Image processing
+ Motion handling
+ Natural colors

Having a LG 65C7P in my bedroom after serving in the living for a year does not help either, because I know how awesome the picture quality of an OLED is.

The biggest concerns with OLED right now usually are banding, poor motion handling (24p content mostly) and burn in.

Banding, I have some on my 65C7P which have not disappeared in the almost 2 years of usage. Safe to say they are here to stay. Not really a game changer, it's barely visible but one of those "once you see it, you can't un see it).

Poor motion handling, I've ready that now with the 120hz panel, it is much better. Maybe not as good as the Sony though.

And burn in, not really concerned because I won't game on it and we won't watch much cable TV with those damn station logos.

I'd stick with the Sony. I have a B7 and just got a 900F for a townhome. The Sony HDR brightness on movies is amazing. The colors are a little better on the OLED, but the HDR brightness is much more dramatic for shows in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #6395 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

Sony 85X900F

LG 77C8P

- Dark corners
- Blooming
- Viewing angles
- Android TV

+ Size
+ Image processing
+ Motion handling
+ Natural colors

Seems the only person who can answer your question is you. Have you looked at both TVs in a store? There's no perfect TV , it is all about what you can live with (and can't), and which features are the most important to YOU. Anyone else's opinion can only be null.
Ricoflashback likes this.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
post #6396 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Seems the only person who can answer your question is you. Have you looked at both TVs in a store? There's no perfect TV , it is all about what you can live with (and can't), and which features are the most important to YOU. Anyone else's opinion can only be null.

You are 100% correct! I guess I am looking for more information on whether the motion handling has been improved over the previous (2017) model, since I think some Sony owners here have experienced both sets. I'll start reading up and asking questions in the C8P owner's thread.

LG OLED-65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
post #6397 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Go with the Sony. Until OLED burn in is solved or any potential of it happening. I don’t even consider them, as stunning as they are to look at. That alone is what lures unsuspecting customers in that know nothing about burn in. When it happens. LG tells you get bent and it was your fault.

I personally have the 85 900F and bang for the buck along with performance. It can’t be beat. Incredible set.
Swoosh830 and Cuthalu like this.
post #6398 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I have lg b8 and sony xe9005. In terms of PQ oled is a way better. But it is not so universal as lcd.
post #6399 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
You are 100% correct! I guess I am looking for more information on whether the motion handling has been improved over the previous (2017) model, since I think some Sony owners here have experienced both sets. I'll start reading up and asking questions in the C8P owner's thread.

I had a 900E and got my retailer to swap it out for a 900F. The 900F handles motion better to me and is a bit brighter. I think X Motion Clarity is amazing. It basically sets your brightness back to 900E levels but you get the benefits of light BFI.

There were/are some issues especially during sports broadcasts where when they change camera angles quickly it repeats a few frames on the 900E. Drove me nuts. I wasn’t the only one who noticed this as there’s an entire thread on another forum about it. The person who started that thread even starting posting in the 900E thread here. That and I kept getting odd stutters on it during motion. Could’ve just been defective which is what the retailer assumed so they swapped it out for me.

Of course my saying motion is better is just opinion. I’d take the 85” set over a 77” set but that again is just my personal preference. I can live with the slightly darker corners and some letterbox blooming. I don’t hardly ever even notice the corners unless I’m looking for it. The angles are more than adequate for the room it’s in with the seating being used.

Each has its own trade offs, I just prefer the cons of the LCD vs the cons of the OLED.
srkmish likes this.
post #6400 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Hi guys - motion questions
Can anyone tell me the difference between the motion setting “clear” and the custom setting with cleanest slider? Do they both do the Sam bfi? Or is custom with cleanness set to 1 the only way of activating “X Motion Clarity”

Thanks
post #6401 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
How to disable Dolby Vision on 900F? It's darker then i like, I'm going through internal apps, much prefer HDR. THX
post #6402 of 9760 Old 01-21-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
What is up with all this talk about Blooming??? I just got my 75" X900F today and im SUPER IMPRESSED!!! These complaints about Blooming was the only reason i held out on the X900F for the past 2 months, after going through 6 TV's i finally went for it i notice very little to no blooming here!

In the past 2 Months, i went through a 75" Q6FN, a 65" Z9D, a defective 75" Q7FN, and 3 65" Q8FN's all with bad DSE, and the X900F is my fav TV of the bunch right up there with the Q8!!!

Took some pics of my Panel, so far so good, was really worried about the lottery!

I'm curious what you didn't like about the Z9d? Currently I also have the 900F with some screen defects and considering swapping it for the Z9d as I would think the extra dimming zones alone would make a huge difference.
post #6403 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
Quote:
What is up with all this talk about Blooming??? I just got my 75" X900F today and im SUPER IMPRESSED!!! These complaints about Blooming was the only reason i held out on the X900F for the past 2 months, after going through 6 TV's i finally went for it i notice very little to no blooming here!

In the past 2 Months, i went through a 75" Q6FN, a 65" Z9D, a defective 75" Q7FN, and 3 65" Q8FN's all with bad DSE, and the X900F is my fav TV of the bunch right up there with the Q8!!!

Took some pics of my Panel, so far so good, was really worried about the lottery!

I'm curious what you didn't like about the Z9d? Currently I also have the 900F with some screen defects and considering swapping it for the Z9d as I would think the extra dimming zones alone would make a huge difference.

Nothing really, it was a great TV, infact, if you are going for 65" between the X900F and Z9D thats not even a question, definatly Z9D in a heart beat. I seen no bloom on my Z9D (i now do with my X900F, nothing that really bothers me though), the blacks were excellent (648 Zones is no joke), the 3D was AMAZING, brightness for HDR content was incredible. I think my only issue was that I'm a big RDR2 fan and that game has alot of natural motion blurr, I originally owned the 75" Q6 which it was able to do motion interpolation during gaming at only 21ms, i REALLY missed this feature, as it made RDR2 look as if it was running at 60fps with no blurr what so ever, which was the main reason for me trading in my Z9D for the Q8. I went through 3 Q8's all with bad DSE that i just could not get over, so here i am with the 75" X900F. I also feel i never fully got over the size difference going from 75" to 65", i never really found myself fully happy going down in size with any of the 65 inchers i had, no matter how good the TV's were.

Basically trading out your X900F for the Z9D the only downfall is you will be getting slower response times at 30ms Pixel Refresh on the Z9D (65" Z9D, the 75" Z9D has faster Response time) compared to only around 10ms on the X900F, but honestly i feel people make a bigger issue out of this then need be. In the week or 2 of owning the Z9D i watched football and tested out other sports, none of which did i notice any difference in motion compared to any of my other TV's, no blurr or trails from the football, or behind the runners, ect, and believe me i was looking, i even recorded some footage so i could study it. So basically your not getting as good refresh times with the 65" Z9D (nothing to worry about), but you are getting a brighter all around TV (for SDR and HDR), you are getting 3D (which is the only TV in this price range that offers it), you are getting almost 600 more zones meaning virtually no blooming (Z9D really is a beast in this area), and the Android OS response speed on the Z9D in WAAAAY faster aswel, pressing the menu buttom on the Z9D your in instantly, i noticed the X900F has a bit of lag in this area.

All in all, after spending more time with the X900F over the past few days i really do feel like they are almost the same TV, very similar in almost every respect, you can just look at the Z9D as a sup'd up version of the X900F, which is basically what it is. If the blooming is bothering you, you care about 3D, want faster OS, and a brighter display, go ahead and pick up the Z9D, you really can't go wrong, not to mention the Z9D is the most elegant TV I've ever seen, built like a tank with that Gold trim it looks like a TV you would find in one of Trump Towers million dollar suites (65" Z9D was almost 6 grand just 2 years ago at this time, and it shows). I will miss the 3D, i have a huge 3D movie collection with no TV to play them on. 😣 If i had the money the 75" Z9D is what i would have right now, unfortunately i didn't have an extra $1000 laying around.

Last edited by EtherMagic; 01-22-2019 at 02:40 AM.
post #6404 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
And for the gamer's 170hz/FPS at 1080p is no joke.X900f is a brilliant game TV if you got the hardware to support it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DxgsEODW0AEhT6y.jpg large.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	2514466  
Cuthalu likes this.
post #6405 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The new 900F firmware is now available for download. The release notes specifically state there are fixes for image dimness, and Dolby Vision quality in the Netflix app. I can't wait to try it out tonight!

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/s...loads/00015770
post #6406 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhumphrey View Post
The new 900F firmware is now available for download. The release notes specifically state there are fixes for image dimness, and Dolby Vision quality in the Netflix app. I can't wait to try it out tonight!

I hope the EU models will soon follow.I almost want to try it on my Eu model lol

Last edited by Thanasis Xrisatzas; 01-22-2019 at 04:15 AM.
post #6407 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanasis Xrisatzas View Post
I hope the EU models will soon follow.I almost want to try it on my Eu model lol
I don’t have any issue with the current firmware that I’m aware of so I’ll let others test the waters before updating. I do like new features. Hope it does resolve the dim DV issue some are having. The wording doesn’t specify it though.
post #6408 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Anyone can try if there is issue with output surround sound from stocked video app?
post #6409 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Blooming is not a issue with this set for me either. One thing tho is if you view from the sides blooming is way more noticeable, so im guessing some people might watch from the side and not directly in front. However for me ive always viewed my tv's from the front and it looks amazing. Best TV ive ever owned.
post #6410 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I don’t have any issue with the current firmware that I’m aware of so I’ll let others test the waters before updating. I do like new features. Hope it does resolve the dim DV issue some are having. The wording doesn’t specify it though.
Yeah im not jumping on this update till RTINGS tests it out. Don't want a update to increase input delay or anything. I wonder if this is the new android OS?
post #6411 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokai View Post
Yeah im not jumping on this update till RTINGS tests it out. Don't want a update to increase input delay or anything. I wonder if this is the new android OS?

Rtings tests out each firmware for this tv?

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #6412 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Rtings tests out each firmware for this tv?

If they still have it yes.
post #6413 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
post #6414 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
It looks like this is the firmware you guys have been waiting for that gives your set Android 8.
post #6415 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

I'm excited to read your thoughts on it.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6416 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
I'm excited to read your thoughts on it.

I use an AppleTV. Don’t think I’ve used the android system (except to access settings) in the 6 months I’ve had the tv. Asking the wrong guy. New menu is nice though

post #6417 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrspin11 View Post
Did replacing your HDMI cable from A/V to Sony resolve this issue? I started having the same issue. I have a 4k 18gbps cable going from AV to Sony, so I'm a little leary if that is the issue. I did change inputs on the Sony, (hdmi 3 to 1 to 2), but still eventually went black regardless of source (xfinity x1 or sony x700).

If you are resolved, what HDMI did you end up getting? Thanks!

Yes sir. I ended up replacing the HDMI cable from my Sony Bluray to my Yamaha and the cable from the Yamaha to the TV. Problem totally eliminated.

I used a couple of "premium" slim line cables from Monoprice rated for 18ghz. Great cables. Great price.
Swoosh830 and naustin like this.
post #6418 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

Did you manually update via USB? My TV says there is no update available.
post #6419 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsv510 View Post
Did you manually update via USB? My TV says there is no update available.

Manual update

post #6420 of 9760 Old 01-22-2019, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
How to disable Dolby Vision on 900F? It's darker then i like, I'm going through internal apps, much prefer HDR. THX
new update is here try updating suppose to make dolby brighter .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page