2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 217 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4532Likes

post #6481 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaClone View Post
Make sure in the settings on the Sony you set the HDMI settings for ports 2 and 3 to full bandwidth. You also want to make sure that the Apple TV sees the port as HDR capable. There is a test it can run. If you do that and it doesn't see HDR capable ports, you might try another cable.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I did both of those things and since it is recognizing Dolby Vision correctly and switches to it, wouldn't that mean everything is in order? It's just the "Ultra HD 4K" that it is not recognizing as HDR content (should 4k videos on YouTube switch to HDR too?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a new 65 inch 900f with a problem viewing cable tv via hdmi input2. Not always, but frequently when I turn the tv on, I can hear the volume for the tv channel but no video is playing. Soon as I switch to an app, say YouTube or Netflix, video works fine. Any thoughts as to what maybe causing the issue (bad input or bad hdmi cable perhaps); wasn’t sure if this was a common proble? When I get home later today will try changing inputs to see what happens. Thanks
post #6483 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
I did both of those things and since it is recognizing Dolby Vision correctly and switches to it, wouldn't that mean everything is in order? It's just the "Ultra HD 4K" that it is not recognizing as HDR content (should 4k videos on YouTube switch to HDR too?).
Apple TV can't play YouTube HDR videos because it doesn't support the VP9 codec. That's an Apple hardware issue. The only way to play HDR on this setup is with the AndroidTV built in app.

Netflix, however should work just fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6484 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Some content is Ultra HD 4K, but is not HDR/Dolby Vision. What are you trying to stream that is "Ultra HD 4K"?
EyeWasAbducted likes this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6485 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
As the poster above me said, just because something is in ultra hd 4k doesn’t mean it is HDR. They are two different things. Netflix has a lot of content that is 4k, but not HDR. They also have some stuff that is HDR, but not 4k. Ultra HD 4k simply means the resolution of the content is in 4k. HDR/DV is the dynamic range of the content. Movies/shows can have both, none or just one of these.
Swoosh830 likes this.
post #6486 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Will try update when its available and see what others think but lately I have been enjoying this tv after more setting changes.
post #6487 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeWasAbducted View Post
As the poster above me said, just because something is in ultra hd 4k doesn’t mean it is HDR. They are two different things. Netflix has a lot of content that is 4k, but not HDR. They also have some stuff that is HDR, but not 4k. Ultra HD 4k simply means the resolution of the content is in 4k. HDR/DV is the dynamic range of the content.
Got it. So Netflix offers the following video formats: 1) HD - this is just SDR content 2) Ultra HD 4K - this is just 4K and not HDR 3) Dolby Vision - this is a version of HDR. Is that correct? There is no "HDR" content on Netflix that is not Dolby Vision?
post #6488 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I get my new 85x900F delivered on Sunday. Trading in my Samsung Q6FN... hopefully and delighted for better PQ!!

One thing I know I'm going to hate coming from the Samsung is the remote. Anyone have any suggestions on a better replacement remote that is more like the Samsung smart remote on the QLEDs? Anyone actually try to use a Samsung remote on the Sony? Does it work?

Suggestions welcome!
post #6489 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Got it. So Netflix offers the following video formats: 1) HD - this is just SDR content 2) Ultra HD 4K - this is just 4K and not HDR 3) Dolby Vision - this is a version of HDR. Is that correct? There is no "HDR" content on Netflix that is not Dolby Vision?
I've been able to watch Netflix HDR without DV. I believe they also support HDR10.
post #6490 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 120
There's also a select few titles on Netflix that are HD resolution but still have Dolby Vision, like The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

And I believe for the most part Netflix is an all or nothing thing when it comes to HDR formats. So if your device/TV supports Dolby Vision, ALL of the HDR content on Netflix will be Dolby Vision. If your device only supports HDR10, all of the HDR content will show as HDR10. You won't see both when browsing titles.

Last edited by -griffy-; 01-23-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #6491 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Just out of curiousity...
How many of you who has the latest firmware received it OTA vs USB download? If you did receive it OTA, where are you?

I'm in South Carolina and have not received it yet.

post #6492 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Netflix with examples

HD - SDR (Avengers Infinity War)
HD - Dolby Vision (Cloverfield Paradox)
4k - SDR (Breaking Bad)
4k - Dolby Vision (Lost in Space)

I haven’t seen any Netflix HDR content that isnt Dolby vision. However, if your tv or device doesn't support Dolby vision, it would play as hdr10 instead.

Also, if something lists Dolby vision, but doesn’t mention 4k or HD, it means it is 4k.

Last edited by EyeWasAbducted; 01-23-2019 at 10:53 AM.
post #6493 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Netflix with examples

HD - SDR (Avengers Infinity War)
HD - Dolby Vision (Cloverfield Paradox)
4k - SDR (Breaking Bad)
4k - Dolby Vision (Lost in Space)

I haven’t seen any Netflix HDR content that isnt Dolby vision. However, if your tv or device doesn't support Dolby vision, it would play as hdr10 instead.

Also, if something lists Dolby vision, but doesn’t mention 4k or HD then it is in 4k.
Very helpful, thank you! So I'm forced into Dolby Vision vs. HDR10 when the content is HDR because I have a Dolby Vision equipped TV? Since I don't like Sony's Dolby Vision settings (too dark), my options are either 1) Adjust Sony's Dolby settings to make it brighter - GAMMA, etc. 2) get used to dim Dolby 3) is there any way to disable Dolby Vision and watch that content in HDR10 instead as if I had the X900E or another TV that is not Dolby equipped? Really appreciate all of your help!
post #6494 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
Just out of curiousity...
How many of you who has the latest firmware received it OTA vs USB download? If you did receive it OTA, where are you?

I'm in South Carolina and have not received it yet.

I'm in NJ and updated mine via USB as it was not appearing OTA.
post #6495 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Very helpful, thank you! So I'm forced into Dolby Vision vs. HDR10 when the content is HDR because I have a Dolby Vision equipped TV? Since I don't like Sony's Dolby Vision settings (too dark), my options are either 1) Adjust Sony's Dolby settings to make it brighter - GAMMA, etc. 2) get used to dim Dolby 3) is there any way to disable Dolby Vision and watch that content in HDR10 instead as if I had the X900E or another TV that is not Dolby equipped? Really appreciate all of your help!
You could force the ATV into HDR mode and compare playing the same content. Unfortunately, that won't allow you to match frame rate automatically.

post #6496 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
There’s no way to disable Dolby vision on the tv, but Here’s a workaround you can do on the Apple TV:

Set the Apple TV to 4k hdr output (not sdr or Dolby vision)
Turn off range matching
This will play everything in hdr10, but you can change it back when not watching hdr content. It’s tedious, but it’s the only way I know of to bypass Dolby vision.
post #6497 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
There’s no way to disable Dolby vision on the tv, but Here’s a workaround you can do on the Apple TV:

Set the Apple TV to 4k hdr output (not sdr or Dolby vision)
Turn off range matching
This will play everything in hdr10, but you can change it back when not watching hdr content. It’s tedious, but it’s the only way I know of to bypass Dolby vision.
Awesome - at least there is a workaround. You guys rule - thank you! I just tested the same "Lost in Space" content on my X900E in bedroom without Dolby and it was soooooo much brighter and more vivid in HDR10 vs Dolby on my new X900F. Am I alone here?
post #6498 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag66 View Post
PA here, also no OTA update yet.
post #6499 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsv510 View Post
PA here, also no OTA update yet.
So can I ask a really dumb question here. Do you guys have the TV hooked to some sort of internet type network connection (as in Ethernet or WiFI) or are you expecting (as OTA suggests) that Sony is sending out the firmware update like a TV show?

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #6500 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
So can I ask a really dumb question here. Do you guys have the TV hooked to some sort of internet type network connection (as in Ethernet or WiFI) or are you expecting (as OTA suggests) that Sony is sending out the firmware update like a TV show?

Seggers
Ethernet. Using OTA term is out of habit.
NTC likes this.
post #6501 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked: 6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitton1 View Post
hello i still own a 50 panasonic plasma , i move out of oled and samsung plasma for the 900f as main set , you will need bias lightening , see page 184 i have a post on it , a part of that its a ok set . not plasma and not oled black .
True on the black levels but the 900F still holds it own.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmitche1 View Post
Do y'all have any suggestions for a good soundbar to pair with this set?

I'm moving in a few weeks and my new place won't be quite ready for my home theater setup. I still have a little bit of wiring to do. I'm planning on getting a soundbar for temporary usage and then move it to the bedroom once my 7.2 setup is complete.
Sony HT-ST5000 or a Sonos Playbar
bodean likes this.
post #6502 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
I get my new 85x900F delivered on Sunday. Trading in my Samsung Q6FN... hopefully and delighted for better PQ!!

One thing I know I'm going to hate coming from the Samsung is the remote. Anyone have any suggestions on a better replacement remote that is more like the Samsung smart remote on the QLEDs? Anyone actually try to use a Samsung remote on the Sony? Does it work?

Suggestions welcome!
I cant say I've ever tried to use my Samsung remote on my Sony tv. But I can say, like you I was apprehensive about moving away from the Samsung remote with my KS8000 when I added the Sony to my collection. Now, after a couple months with new tv, reality of it, I actually prefer the Sony remote.
post #6503 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
so can i ask a really dumb question here. Do you guys have the tv hooked to some sort of internet type network connection (as in ethernet or wifi) or are you expecting (as ota suggests) that sony is sending out the firmware update like a tv show?

Seggers

lol

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6504 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
I cant say I've ever tried to use my Samsung remote on my Sony tv. But I can say, like you I was apprehensive about moving away from the Samsung remote with my KS8000 when I added the Sony to my collection. Now, after a couple months with new tv, reality of it, I actually prefer the Sony remote.
Well, I will say I will appreciate the fact that it's bigger in one way.. i'm always losing the Samsung remote because it's so small.

I do have an Nvidia Shield that I probably won't need to use anymore since the TV has android TV. I wonder if I could use that remote for the TV?
post #6505 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've got the strangest audio/video thing going on with my 900f. When trying to view tv from my cable box, I've got audio but no video. I thought with HDMI it either worked properly or didn't work at all. It maybe my Charter box because everything is fine with other inputs. Before I exchange the box does anyone have any suggestions? My signal goes from the Charter Box to my Yamaha Sound bar and then into HDMI (arc).

Hugh Campbell
post #6506 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
I've got the strangest audio/video thing going on with my 900f. When trying to view tv from my cable box, I've got audio but no video. I thought with HDMI it either worked properly or didn't work at all. It maybe my Charter box because everything is fine with other inputs. Before I exchange the box does anyone have any suggestions? My signal goes from the Charter Box to my Yamaha Sound bar and then into HDMI (arc).
Audio without Video is a sign of an HDCP negotiation failure.

The first thing to do is unplug one end of your HDMI cable and plug it back in, this will initiate a new HDCP negotiation session and should fix the problem. Unplugging the HDMI cable is a more reliable way of initiating an HDCP session than powering a device because of the way many devices don't really turn off but instead go into a deep sleep state.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #6507 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
Wouldn't you want to plug the Charter box directly into the TV, then ARC would pass the audio through to the soundbar?
post #6508 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
Wouldn't you want to plug the Charter box directly into the TV, then ARC would pass the audio through to the soundbar?
Either should work, he might be using ARC to get the audio from the built-in apps to the soundbar.

I use my soundbar as an HDMI switch so I prefer plugging external devices into the soundbar but use ARC for the internal apps.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #6509 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaClone View Post
You could force the ATV into HDR mode and compare playing the same content. Unfortunately, that won't allow you to match frame rate automatically.

Frame rate and Range are two separate settings. He can force HDR and still use matching frame rate. I don't recommend this but it can be done.
TexaClone likes this.
post #6510 of 10449 Old 01-23-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2009
Quote:
Thank you. This helped, but I'm still NOT getting HDR when I watch "Ultra HD 4K" on Netflix or 4K in YouTube app. When I watch "Ultra HD 4K" on Netflix, the Sony picture settings don't show "HDR" and it just resorts to my custom SDR settings. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Also, do you recommend updating Sony's Dolby settings by increasing GAMMA, etc? Or the Dolby is supposed to be that dim and my eyes are just used to brighter unnatural colors?
As other have mentioned, ATV doesn't support Youtube HDR. It's the only major shortcoming of the ATV in my books. And Netflix has a lot of 4K SDR as already mentioned.

For your last two questions, IMO increasing Gamma as a way to compensate is not a good idea. I think many people are used to watching SDR at overly bright levels with oversaturated colors, and as you suggested when they then watch Dolby Vision which is intended to more closely match the director's intent it appears dim. To make an analogy, it's like if you are used to eating burgers with ketchup and then you are served a quality steak without no ketchup or BBQ sauce you might be wondering "where's the ketchup"? Increasing gamma is like putting ketchup on a steak. Of course, you can do what you want as it's your TV meant for your enjoyment. Or you could try to get used to DV or use the forced HDR10 workaround that others have pointed out.

Another workaround for Netflix DV is to use another HDR capable device that doesn't support DV, such as Roku HDR/earlier Amazon Fire TV devices/Nvidia Shield. This will push Netflix in HDR10 to the 900F and you won't have to monkey around with your ATV settings.

Have you tried the new firmware yet? Also have you tried Dolby Vision from another source such as Itunes or Vudu? If so, do they appear dim to you as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page