2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 218 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4533Likes

post #6511 of 10460 Old 01-23-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
Wouldn't you want to plug the Charter box directly into the TV, then ARC would pass the audio through to the soundbar?
I have unplugged, turned off, etc. Up until a few days ago I didn't have a problem with the signal going through the soundbar, it worked great. I've changed HDMI cables, I've also gone direct from the box to the tv. Nothing helps, today is the first day it hasn't finally worked. I've got some stuff on the cable box which I would like to keep but it looks like a new box is the only fix. Wish the tv had component inputs so I could try without using HDMI.

Hugh Campbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6512 of 10460 Old 01-23-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After much deliberation I have decided to go to 4k and replace my 7 year old Sharp LC8OL632U 80 inch with the Sony 85 inch x900f. My first choice was the Samsung 9Q 75 but I really didn't want to go smaller so I opted for the Sony, which is only 2 inches wide than the Sharp, due to the smaller bezel. The new one will just fit the available wall (I hope).

The Sharp has been and still is a great picture and it will move to the bedroom and replace a 58" plasma Panasonic,which in turn will go to the guest bedroom to replace a slowly dying 42 "plasma.
I am hoping the new Sony and the 4k and up scaling will be as good as I want it to be. I will be connecting the new Sony to a 7.1 Nakamichi Sound Bar which has been doing a good job.

They are supposed to be here Monday for the install. Please let me know if you have any thoughts or tips.I am on Direct TV and ATT internet at 80mps. I also have the Fire Cube and a DVD player all connected by ARC.
post #6513 of 10460 Old 01-23-2019, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
I have unplugged, turned off, etc. Up until a few days ago I didn't have a problem with the signal going through the soundbar, it worked great. I've changed HDMI cables, I've also gone direct from the box to the tv. Nothing helps, today is the first day it hasn't finally worked. I've got some stuff on the cable box which I would like to keep but it looks like a new box is the only fix. Wish the tv had component inputs so I could try without using HDMI.
Try turning the TV on first then the cable box.
HughScot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6514 of 10460 Old 01-23-2019, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
As other have mentioned, ATV doesn't support Youtube HDR. It's the only major shortcoming of the ATV in my books. And Netflix has a lot of 4K SDR as already mentioned.

For your last two questions, IMO increasing Gamma as a way to compensate is not a good idea. I think many people are used to watching SDR at overly bright levels with oversaturated colors, and as you suggested when they then watch Dolby Vision which is intended to more closely match the director's intent it appears dim. To make an analogy, it's like if you are used to eating burgers with ketchup and then you are served a quality steak without no ketchup or BBQ sauce you might be wondering "where's the ketchup"? Increasing gamma is like putting ketchup on a steak. Of course, you can do what you want as it's your TV meant for your enjoyment. Or you could try to get used to DV or use the forced HDR10 workaround that others have pointed out.

Another workaround for Netflix DV is to use another HDR capable device that doesn't support DV, such as Roku HDR/earlier Amazon Fire TV devices/Nvidia Shield. This will push Netflix in HDR10 to the 900F and you won't have to monkey around with your ATV settings.

Have you tried the new firmware yet? Also have you tried Dolby Vision from another source such as Itunes or Vudu? If so, do they appear dim to you as well?
Good idea on the Netflix DV workaround. May do that if I can't get used to the dimness. Yes, I have the new firmware - manual update. I tried Dolby Vision from the Netflix app native on my X900F. It appeared dim to me as well. As of right now, I vastly prefer the HDR10 that I force my way into with ATV settings.
post #6515 of 10460 Old 01-23-2019, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I’m considering the 49 900f as a bedroom TV I have a 900E 75 for main TV and love it. Will I see any noticeable improvements with the F over the E and at this point in the year should I sit tight for the 2019 models to come out and potentially a 8k TV? I’m not in a huge hurry but can get an open box for about $775 so feel this is too good to pass up.
post #6516 of 10460 Old 01-23-2019, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm getting an issue where the screen flickers to a black screen and audio cuts out. It happens during Netflix programming (Dolby, HD, 4K) and also when scrolling Netflix and on the Apple TV menu. Any idea what that is? I just bought new Monoprice premium cables...
post #6517 of 10460 Old 01-23-2019, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbay1 View Post
Try turning the TV on first then the cable box.
For whatever reason the box is now working.

Hugh Campbell
post #6518 of 10460 Old 01-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddn149 View Post
I’m considering the 49 900f as a bedroom TV I have a 900E 75 for main TV and love it. Will I see any noticeable improvements with the F over the E and at this point in the year should I sit tight for the 2019 models to come out and potentially a 8k TV? I’m not in a huge hurry but can get an open box for about $775 so feel this is too good to pass up.
You’ll see minor improvements to overall image brightness and if you use BFI you might appreciate X Motion Clarity. You’ll also gain Dolby Vision.

I was in a similar situation upgrading my bedroom TV and decided to take the chance with the 55” TCL R617 and couldn’t be happier with it. I don’t play the waiting game so I went for it.

I don’t see 8K as relevant at all. Personal opinion obviously.
post #6519 of 10460 Old 01-23-2019, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
As other have mentioned, ATV doesn't support Youtube HDR. It's the only major shortcoming of the ATV in my books. And Netflix has a lot of 4K SDR as already mentioned.

For your last two questions, IMO increasing Gamma as a way to compensate is not a good idea. I think many people are used to watching SDR at overly bright levels with oversaturated colors, and as you suggested when they then watch Dolby Vision which is intended to more closely match the director's intent it appears dim. To make an analogy, it's like if you are used to eating burgers with ketchup and then you are served a quality steak without no ketchup or BBQ sauce you might be wondering "where's the ketchup"? Increasing gamma is like putting ketchup on a steak. Of course, you can do what you want as it's your TV meant for your enjoyment. Or you could try to get used to DV or use the forced HDR10 workaround that others have pointed out.

Another workaround for Netflix DV is to use another HDR capable device that doesn't support DV, such as Roku HDR/earlier Amazon Fire TV devices/Nvidia Shield. This will push Netflix in HDR10 to the 900F and you won't have to monkey around with your ATV settings.

Have you tried the new firmware yet? Also have you tried Dolby Vision from another source such as Itunes or Vudu? If so, do they appear dim to you as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
Good idea on the Netflix DV workaround. May do that if I can't get used to the dimness. Yes, I have the new firmware - manual update. I tried Dolby Vision from the Netflix app native on my X900F. It appeared dim to me as well. As of right now, I vastly prefer the HDR10 that I force my way into with ATV settings.
Another workaround for Xbox One X (and I think S?) owners is to disable Dolby Vision in the video settings within the Xbox. This is a really easy workaround. Netflix and other apps will then just use HDR10 when applicable. As for a show like Ozark, I don't notice any increase in brightness when using HDR10 on Xbox unless I completely change the picture settings from what I normally use. For instance, changing to Sports picture mode brought up the brightness a bit. I'm sure you could do other things with color and the Xtended Dynamic Range to bring it up as well. Ozark is just incredibly dark in HDR/Dolby Vision. It's the same on the Q6FN though, so I don't know that that's a Sony issue.

If you fast forward or rewind in Netflix, and the preview tiles come up, you can see what the show looks like in SDR. For Ozark, I have to say, the SDR looks better. I don't think this is the case for all Netflix shows though. Some of them look perfectly fine in HDR/Dolby Vision to me.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6520 of 10460 Old 01-23-2019, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeWasAbducted View Post
There’s no way to disable Dolby vision on the tv, but Here’s a workaround you can do on the Apple TV:

Set the Apple TV to 4k hdr output (not sdr or Dolby vision)
Turn off range matching

This will play everything in hdr10, but you can change it back when not watching hdr content. It’s tedious, but it’s the only way I know of to bypass Dolby vision.
Awesome - at least there is a workaround. You guys rule - thank you! I just tested the same "Lost in Space" content on my X900E in bedroom without Dolby and it was soooooo much brighter and more vivid in HDR10 vs Dolby on my new X900F. Am I alone here?

I feel that I have to say something regarding this. This applies to everyone who gets this new TV (or any new HDR-TV), MAKE SURE YOU USE "CORRECT" SDR SETTINGS.

I made the mistake of copying Rtings settings and foolishly used Xtended Dynamic Range in SDR (which is a setting for HDR viewing that enhances the contrast). Needless to say, when I watched Dolby Vision or played an HDR-game, I couldn't see what the big fuss of HDR was about.

In short, SDR-viewing should be limited to 100nits peak brightness, which you'll get with a brightness setting of 7-10/50 and Xtended Dynamic Range sett to OFF.

Don't make the same mistake that I did.
post #6521 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by straatii View Post
I feel that I have to say something regarding this. This applies to everyone who gets this new TV (or any new HDR-TV), MAKE SURE YOU USE "CORRECT" SDR SETTINGS.

I made the mistake of copying Rtings settings and foolishly used Xtended Dynamic Range in SDR (which is a setting for HDR viewing that enhances the contrast). Needless to say, when I watched Dolby Vision or played an HDR-game, I couldn't see what the big fuss of HDR was about.

In short, SDR-viewing should be limited to 100nits peak brightness, which you'll get with a brightness setting of 7-10/50 and Xtended Dynamic Range sett to OFF.

Don't make the same mistake that I did.
They actually speak to this in the settings explanation and a bit in the video.

"For normal home use, you should turn On the 'Auto local dimming' and 'X-tended Dynamic Range' (however, they were turned off during our calibration process)... "

Then, later in the HDR settings:

"When HDR content is detected the TV should switch automatically to the good settings, but if you want to be sure you can verify that the 'Brightness' is set to 'Max', that ' Auto local dimming' is set to 'High' ..."

I interpreted all of the above to basically say what you are saying and tried it multiple ways. For most accurate color presentation in SDR, turn off or lower all the brightness, contrast and dynamic range settings. For HDR, crank it up..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #6522 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaClone View Post
They actually speak to this in the settings explanation and a bit in the video.

"For normal home use, you should turn On the 'Auto local dimming' and 'X-tended Dynamic Range' (however, they were turned off during our calibration process)... "

Then, later in the HDR settings:

"When HDR content is detected the TV should switch automatically to the good settings, but if you want to be sure you can verify that the 'Brightness' is set to 'Max', that ' Auto local dimming' is set to 'High' ..."

I interpreted all of the above to basically say what you are saying and tried it multiple ways. For most accurate color presentation in SDR, turn off or lower all the brightness, contrast and dynamic range settings. For HDR, crank it up..

Yep, and I think a lot of people are cranking everything up for SDR content and "burning their eyes" as they like to say. I think they are under the impression that these new TVs are supposed to be cranked to max brightness for all content, so then of course they will be disappointed when they see HDR with those settings, as it will appear much dimmer. I use a brightness of around 11 for SDR most of the time. I don't use any other brightness settings with that.

From my understanding, HDR really only gets bright when displaying highlights, therefore the overall screen brightness isn't intended to "burn your eyes." It should appear pretty normal (not overly dim or too bright) so that it can better display the HDR highlights as the creator intended.
CaptinCrunch and TexaClone like this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6523 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
Yep, and I think a lot of people are cranking everything up for SDR content and "burning their eyes" as they like to say. I think they are under the impression that these new TVs are supposed to be cranked to max brightness for all content, so then of course they will be disappointed when they see HDR with those settings, as it will appear much dimmer. I use a brightness of around 11 for SDR most of the time. I don't use any other brightness settings with that.

From my understanding, HDR really only gets bright when displaying highlights, therefore the overall screen brightness isn't intended to "burn your eyes." It should appear pretty normal (not overly dim or too bright) so that it can better display the HDR highlights as the creator intended.
That’s how I see HDR. Wide color and specular highlights. I run my brightness at 20 normally to offset light from windows and 10 or so at night usually for SDR. People should run their brightness for whatever fits their normal conditions. If that’s MAX then I’d imagine they’d think HDR is dim. The final scenes of Wonder Woman look marvelous. The highlights look surreal.

HDR or DV looks the same to me on both my 900F and my R617. Both being fantastic.
TexaClone and mhyatt5871 like this.
post #6524 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The new android update has totally screwed up VUDU. It seems the picture settings revert to something that’s specific to vudu. When I go to adjust the picture during vudu HDR playback the video pauses and the picture settings are my normal non hdr settings. Playback of HDR is really dark and there’s obvious motion enhancement. Conversely, Netflix HDR works perfectly. When watching HDR on Netflix, adjusting the settings brings me to my HDR settings.
I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no luck. Very frustrated, it was working perfectly before the update. Well except for occasional judder which ironically has been fixed.
post #6525 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 07:50 AM

Hi all,

Just received a 65 900F and immediately noticed a pretty bad vertical band about a foot off center.
I don't notice it when watching most things but as soon as there is a light colored scene then it's obvious.
Not really sure if its a vertical band too. It's as if everything to the right of the line is slightly lighter.
Debating on returning or just living with it. I'm inclined to return but just wanted to see if anyone
has this issue. Searched through the forum and I didn't see many mentions of any issues like this.
See pics attached.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9718.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	700.9 KB
ID:	2515476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3413.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	843.3 KB
ID:	2515478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3412.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	756.5 KB
ID:	2515480  
post #6526 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 07:53 AM

Please recommend a ultra uhd reference dvd that would help to test the setttings of the Sony 85 900 f.

Thanks,
post #6527 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pared3s View Post
Hi all,

Just received a 65 900F and immediately noticed a pretty bad vertical band about a foot off center.
I don't notice it when watching most things but as soon as there is a light colored scene then it's obvious.
Not really sure if its a vertical band too. It's as if everything to the right of the line is slightly lighter.
Debating on returning or just living with it. I'm inclined to return but just wanted to see if anyone
has this issue. Searched through the forum and I didn't see many mentions of any issues like this.
See pics attached.

Thanks!

If it's going to bother you, exchange it. That is not a normal looking screen defect. Of course, there's always the chance of getting a worse panel, however, I think that your typical X900F will look better than this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6528 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Hi all,

See pics attached.

Thanks!
Exchange that asap...

post #6529 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
If it's going to bother you, exchange it. That is not a normal looking screen defect. Of course, there's always the chance of getting a worse panel, however, I think that your typical X900F will look better than this.
Thanks for the feedback. For something I'll be looking at for possibly the next decade I don't think I could live with it.
Contacted the retailer about exchanging.
I'm dreading packing this behemoth.
post #6530 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

So, gimp the SDR so you can appreciate HDR more? That doesn't make sense. I say if watching on max brightness in SDR is what makes you happy, then stick with it. Who cares if it's accurate, the point is to tune PQ to your individual liking. Me personally, I like that burning feeling and excessive eye watering I get when watching on max.
post #6531 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Hi all,

See pics attached.

Thanks!
I would exchange. That is quite noticeable and not typical of these panels.
post #6532 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

See pics attached.

Thanks!
DSE is a thing, but should only be noticed on panning shots. IF you can see that on a still image, then it seems to be a defect. I'd take it back.
post #6533 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. For something I'll be looking at for possibly the next decade I don't think I could live with it.
Contacted the retailer about exchanging.
I'm dreading packing this behemoth.

What retailer did you buy it from? Best Buy didn't make me pack up my exchanged TV. They'll just come in and grab it and leave the new one. I will probably only buy TVs from Best Buy from now on, since their exchange system is so simple.
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6534 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I have also updated to OREO, and I see no difference with Dolby Vision content on Netflix as to what I had before the update, which looked great. Matter of fact the only difference I see is with Android, but I user my Roku Streaming Stick Plus for 90% of my streaming anyway.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #6535 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
I got the new Quad XL lights and they are perfect! Also, I was able to program my Harmony Elite by learning the button presses from the MediaLight remote control and now I am able to turn them on/off with my activities. Just PERFECT! No more constant coming on and off while plugged into the USB port.

Thanks again, my friend!
Just ordered an XL - I have the same setup as you. Excited to get it all put together.

I have an 85" wall mounted. I've pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll have to take it down to install the LEDs. Did you have to take yours down?
post #6536 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by oticon View Post
Please recommend a ultra uhd reference dvd that would help to test the setttings of the Sony 85 900 f.

Thanks,
I like Black Panther 4K HDR, really offers a lot to look at for testing settings.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #6537 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
So, gimp the SDR so you can appreciate HDR more? That doesn't make sense. I say if watching on max brightness in SDR is what makes you happy, then stick with it. Who cares if it's accurate, the point is to tune PQ to your individual liking. Me personally, I like that burning feeling and excessive eye watering I get when watching on max.

You'll regret it when you're old and blind! Just kidding. To each his own,

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6538 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
You'll regret it when you're old and blind! Just kidding. To each his own,
HaHa... already there my friend!! I am waiting on my new 85x900F to come in on Saturday. Until then I'm still rocking a Samsung QLED. decided to upgrade for better PQ, but I am one of those that really likes the way the Samsungs "POP" on the screen.. I hope I don't miss that too much, and hoping I don't have an issue with DSE.. my current panel is perfect in that regard. Fingers Crossed!!!
mhyatt5871 likes this.
post #6539 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
X-tended Dynamic Range

Should x-tended dynamic range be used for HDR content? If you are not using this feature, are you experiencing HDR how it’s intended?
post #6540 of 10460 Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static25 View Post
Should x-tended dynamic range be used for HDR content? If you are not using this feature, are you experiencing HDR how it’s intended?

Absolutely should be used. XDR creates contrast that would benefit HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page