2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 221 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4358Likes

post #6601 of 9747 Old 01-25-2019, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
I’ve said it plenty of times before. DONT trust anything he shows. He’s a fraud
Yeah that guy on youtube is obsessed with his 900E. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 9747 Old 01-25-2019, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiraca View Post
Does the flash lighting in the bottom corners look normal to everyone? Seems excessive and just want to make sure the other 900f owners are not experiencing it. I can still exchange for another.
Maybe your backlight is turned up to high? That setting is called Brightness on these sony sets.
post #6603 of 9747 Old 01-25-2019, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any 49" calibration settings specifically for desktop computer usage?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6604 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeWasAbducted View Post
There’s no way to disable Dolby vision on the tv, but Here’s a workaround you can do on the Apple TV:

Set the Apple TV to 4k hdr output (not sdr or Dolby vision)
Turn off range matching
This will play everything in hdr10, but you can change it back when not watching hdr content. It’s tedious, but it’s the only way I know of to bypass Dolby vision.
Thanks for this. I had been trying to figure out a way to force my ATV to output HDR10 only. I compared the Dolby Vision and HDR10 versions of three Netflix shows: Altered Carbon, Chef's Table France, and Santa Clarita Diet. To my eyes, the HDR10 versions look much better. It looks like the gamma, contrast, and brightness are all better balanced now, which in turn makes the colors look better. All of these improvements help to show off the amazing picture quality of the 900F!
EyeWasAbducted likes this.

Last edited by LDBetaGuy; 01-26-2019 at 05:06 AM.
post #6605 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone have/had issue with the TV turning off by itself? I had my X900F for about a week now, and every now and then it turns itself off. It did it twice yesterday, and once today. I checked ECO Settings, everything is off, "Power Settings", nothing is set, same with timers, nothing set. Can i be missing something? Can it be a connection to my USB (I do have bias lighting), or maybe devices i have plugged into HDMI tripping something up within the TV?

My Samsungs did this aswel for the first few days before they stopped doing this, but this is not a Samsung.

Any suggestions? Thx
post #6606 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Been lurking on and off for years but finally decided to join the melees with this Thread.

Recently purchased the 75x900f thanks to info here and Rtings mostly. Having a slight issue with HDR10 discs though.

Here is my setup: Xbox one x (all boxes checked to allow hdr10 4k Dolby vision etc) which is hooked into my Pioneer LX303 with the Xbox cable. The Pioneer is then hooked into the TV HDMI 3 Arc port with enhanced enabled using the Monoprice certified cable.

I have watched a few Dolby vision films using the Xbox and it seems to set that correctly on HDR auto. Last night I watched Deadpool 2 and about 20 minutes into it I thought this looks far too bright overall for an HDR film (which is how many of you like it I know 😉 ). So I checked the display and noticed that the HDR badge was not lot up like it is for DV films. So I went to the HDR setting and forced it to HDR10 and it was how I expected it to look and the badge was lit as well.

So my question is this, has anyone else encountered issues with HDR10 triggering with it set to auto; Xbox one x or any other player? Any idea what may be going on or what to try?

I have already gone through all the Xbox and tv.settings and everything seems to be as it should. Still running Android 7.0 also, although probably doesn't matter. Can't install 8 as it won't recognize my thumb drive, just says it was safely ejected every time I install it (tried different formats and everything too) but this is a different issue. Haha

Thanks in advance. And thank you all for the pages of insight for us new buyers.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #6607 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
Anyone have/had issue with the TV turning off by itself? I had my X900F for about a week now, and every now and then it turns itself off. It did it twice yesterday, and once today. I checked ECO Settings, everything is off, "Power Settings", nothing is set, same with timers, nothing set. Can i be missing something? Can it be a connection to my USB (I do have bias lighting), or maybe devices i have plugged into HDMI tripping something up within the TV?

My Samsungs did this aswel for the first few days before they stopped doing this, but this is not a Samsung.

Any suggestions? Thx
My son had it turn off on him once while playing an Xbox game. That was the only time and I was not here to witness it but it was odd and he was confused and upset. Haha

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #6608 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattel Jones View Post
First post here. Thanks to everyone whose comments on these boards have both educated and entertained me while doing research on (slowly) building my set up. Just this week I switched out our 6 year old Samsung, 3D able, 50" plasma for the Sony 900F "55. So far I'm very happy as is the wife which is key.

The way I've always set things up is I run everything into the AVR and output from there to the TV/Monitor. This includes the cable box, my PS3 and a multi region DVD player. There is a RF cable out from the Comcast unit that I connected to the TV's RF input.

I have my PS3 hardwired via ethernet and connected to the receiver via HDMI. I expect to upgrade soon to a PS4 to best advantage the Sony, but the point is I (for now at least) prefer the os of the PS3 for streaming to enabling the 'smart' functions of the 900F. Note: I did make a point of briefly connecting the ethernet cable directly to the TV in order to check for firmware update, but I didn't even look at the TV's streaming options. For playing disc media and streaming the big four outlets my Playstation (within its limitations) works amazingly well.

Is this the right way to go, or would there be an advantage to connecting the cable box or the PS3 directly to the 900F and outputting the audio back to the AVR via the ARC? Sorry for the newbie question. Also does it make sense to go to the trouble of 'disabling' anything 'Smart' related that I don't want if the monitor isn't connected directly to the internet anyway?

I have a Denon XR2400H, which I purchased because I thought it was the best AVR I could afford with two HDMI outs which was needed for a projector. I should note that I turned off the video enhancement functions of the Denon before connecting it to the Sony's ARC HDMI input.

Finally off point but for the record our TV viewing distance from the couch is a bit short of 8 feet, and we went with placing the 55" 900F on a console instead of using the elevated wall mounted tilt we did with the plasma. It makes a nice change in that I will hopefully choke on food less. Plus the picture looks amazing! I think the 65" at this distance would burn out my retinas or at least make it hard to follow action on the screen.

Thanks for reading this and for any suggestions or comments.

Congrats on the new purchase! It sounds like you've done everything right. Since your Denon XR2400H is 4K & HDCP 2.2 compliant - - you should be fine with your PS3 and all other components connected through your AVR. It makes it much simpler that way and is the best connection for audio from a Bluray Player or even a streamer. For the internal apps - - if you use them, you can still use "ARC" for Dolby Digital Plus audio. I find the internal apps to provide the clearest and sharpest picture compared to a streamer like my Roku Ultra (Android "Ease of Use" interface aside.) It's really a matter of personal preference.

And I believe in having the Sony 900F do all the upscaling. Right decision again, IMHO. If you have cable or satellite, you might experiment with the resolution settings. If you have a "native" option (mostly satellite) - - that is the absolute best you can do. Otherwise, if you have a non 4K cable box, look at a 720p or 1080i setting. I prefer the 720p setting with my older Comcast Xfinity STB as it provides the best picture for me. It down converts a 1080i signal to 720p but more importantly, it leaves a native 720p setting alone WITHOUT Comcast upscaling anything.

And don't forget "OTA - Over The Air" signals via an antenna. For broadcast TV, you will not find a better picture (less compression) - especially a 1080i signal. Incredibly upscaled by the Sony 900F. And having your TV on a console provides less eye strain, IMHO. Nice choice there, as well.

Lastly - I have (had) a dual setup as well with a 100" screen with projector as well as my 75" Sony 900F. I've mothballed my projector as I can no longer watch it anymore compared to the sharp picture of the Sony 900F. Now, you probably have a better projector than I do since I was limited to a "short throw" due to my setup in my man cave. And - - I don't think you would have had any extra eye strain or difficulty with a larger 65" TV. Once you dial in the settings and brightness - - it's a pure joy to watch. Enjoy!
Mattel Jones likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #6609 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6680 Post(s)
Liked: 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan View Post
Does anybody know how many hours the LEDs will last in the 85” 900f? I watch alot of TV and was wondering, I know LEDs usually have a life of 50K hours or so...
Well they can fail at any point. I do not think anyone out there has worn out there set. Something like a screen, power supply, board failing, or just a plain old update to another devise are more common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodkalm81 View Post
So I am thinking about getting a new TV. I currently have a VT65 plasma, and I am thinking about the 900f. Now I know OLED is more like plasma, but I am not ready to spend that kind of money on the size I would like for the room. My question is how are the 900fs compared to the VT plasmas? Its a little like Apples and Oranges, because one is 4K and the other is just 1080P. So taking the 4k out of it, since I dont have any 4k content right now, how do the TV's compared on just watching Blu Rays?
When you can not afford a OLED and still want a good TV, look at the 900F or Q8FN......
mhyatt5871 likes this.
post #6610 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
RE: "When you can not afford a OLED and still want a good TV, look at the 900F or Q8FN......"

This statement, IMHO, needs to be clarified. If you cannot afford an OLED OR do not want to deal with OLED's significant banding or tint issues, then look at the 900F (I'd drop the Q8FN.)

If blacker than black and OLED rules your world (wants/needs) - then please do yourself a favor and read the many OLED AVS Forums before you purchase. Yes, no TV is perfect but the number one issue (IMHO) that is an absolute deal killer for picture quality is banding. We're all subject to panel lottery but the OLED's, especially the larger size screens, are more prone to significant banding than a FALD LCD Sony set.
Buckeye Dave and mhyatt5871 like this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #6611 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 1917
Quote:

I have my PS3 hardwired via ethernet and connected to the receiver via HDMI. I expect to upgrade soon to a PS4 to best advantage the Sony, but the point is I (for now at least) prefer the os of the PS3 for streaming to enabling the 'smart' functions of the 900F. Note: I did make a point of briefly connecting the ethernet cable directly to the TV in order to check for firmware update, but I didn't even look at the TV's streaming options. For playing disc media and streaming the big four outlets my Playstation (within its limitations) works amazingly well.

Is this the right way to go, or would there be an advantage to connecting the cable box or the PS3 directly to the 900F and outputting the audio back to the AVR via the ARC? Sorry for the newbie question. Also does it make sense to go to the trouble of 'disabling' anything 'Smart' related that I don't want if the monitor isn't connected directly to the internet anyway?

Finally off point but for the record our TV viewing distance from the couch is a bit short of 8 feet, and we went with placing the 55" 900F on a console instead of using the elevated wall mounted tilt we did with the plasma. It makes a nice change in that I will hopefully choke on food less. Plus the picture looks amazing! I think the 65" at this distance would burn out my retinas or at least make it hard to follow action on the screen.
Keep the PS3 connected to the AVR. It will give you lossless audio from BluRay which you would lose by connecting it to the TV. Keep in mind that by using the PS3 streaming apps, you aren't getting HDR and might not be getting the lossy ATMOS track included with some streaming titles.

I wouldn't disable any system apps on the 900F, as they may have some interdependencies with other TV features
Mattel Jones likes this.
post #6612 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
My 3 month old 900f just started randomly flickering to black every 3-5 minutes or so. Unit stays on but simply flickers to black for a few seconds, so more annoying than anything. The problem is happening from all input channels on the AVR including my Sony Blueray, Tivo and Amazon Fire input sources.

Other info:

- AV receiver is connected to TV via hdmi ARC OUT on receiver to ARC IN (3) on the TV
- unit received the latest sony firmware on initial setup. Flickering issue wasn't apparent after the update and until recently

Troubleshooting (so far):

- first thought this is a hdmi AV receiver issue, so swapped to a different 9.1 channel AVR (Sony 1080-->Integra 5.2). No change

- next thought this is related to TV setting "enhanced" video support for dolby vision, but turning this off no change
- also turned off enhanced motion support by setting MotionFlow = Standard and CineMotion = off. No change

I'm still trying to isolate the problem to either software or hardware. Wondering if anyone can think of any other software settings that might cause this issue?

Just as a followup my problem above is resolved. This was a HDMI cable issue, more specifically the 50ft (very expensive) HDMI cable length running [email protected] couldn't handle timely video sync's. I replaced the HDMI cable with 50ft CAT6 cable and running HDMI over Ethernet. I purchased an Integra HDB-RX1 to convert the Ethernet to HDMI going into the 900f. My AVR is an Integra DRX-5.2 which has a HDBaseT port making the cable connection on that side easy.

No more irritating video sync issues!!!
post #6613 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Can someone familiar with the HDR on the X900F or similar Sony TV's, explain how the HDR calibration is derived from SDR? I am wondering what happens if I calibrate the TV to 2.4/BT.1886 and then use the same profile in HDR mode for HDR viewing. I am watching The Cloverfield Paradox in Dolby Vision with the 2+10 point BT.1886 I just made, and it looks really good. This is, if I switch to my old 2.2 power law calibration, the image changes.

I know HDR has no gamma function, so I am curious how or what is discarded or kept or modified.

Paul
post #6614 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Can someone familiar with the HDR on the X900F or similar Sony TV's, explain how the HDR calibration is derived from SDR? I am wondering what happens if I calibrate the TV to 2.4/BT.1886 and then use the same profile in HDR mode for HDR viewing. I am watching The Cloverfield Paradox in Dolby Vision with the 2+10 point BT.1886 I just made, and it looks really good. This is, if I switch to my old 2.2 power law calibration, the image changes.

I know HDR has no gamma function, so I am curious how or what is discarded or kept or modified.

Paul

Share if you can,i want to try your new one.
post #6615 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
So I've been using the P75-C1 but that just went back so I have $3,000 to buy a new TV.

Can someone tell me what to expect between say a Vizio P75 and the Sony X900F?

I got a "do over" on the old TV so I want to get it right. Sony just seems to be the gold standard on TVs. I also think the 77" OLED will be out of my budget range too.

TV will be in living room, well lit, and mounted.
post #6616 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
So I've been using the P75-C1 but that just went back so I have $3,000 to buy a new TV.

Can someone tell me what to expect between say a Vizio P75 and the Sony X900F?

I got a "do over" on the old TV so I want to get it right. Sony just seems to be the gold standard on TVs. I also think the 77" OLED will be out of my budget range too.

TV will be in living room, well lit, and mounted.
hello i try 3x p75f1 , all of them defective week of production 24, 30 , 34 , go see page 180 here and 184 , only complain on the 900f is blooming you will need bias lightening to have nice black bar and less blooming if you like bright tv , the vizio have hdmi , light bleeding , see true screen , wifi , freezing , name the problem i get it all 3 of them the same . the sony is better on dse and banding almost none visible , for me only on pure white screen , in content only hockey and is almost perfect .

for oled if you like bright tv and watch news a lot or tv show with static content , do not buy a oled , mine burn at 4500 hours 1.5 years , all oled in max brightness with static content every day will burn , its not if but when it will burn , not cover by the warranty .

Last edited by dwhitton1; 01-26-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #6617 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitton1 View Post
hello i try 3x p75f1 , all of them defective week of production 24, 30 , 34 , go see page 180 here and 184 , only complain on the 900f is blooming you will need bias lightening to have nice black bar and less blooming if you like bright tv , the vizio have hdmi , light bleeding , see true screen , wifi , freezing , name the problem i get it all 3 of them the same . the sony is better on dse and banding almost none visible , for me only on pure white screen , in content only hockey and is almost perfect .

for oled if you like bright tv and watch news a lot or tv show with static content , do not buy a oled , mine burn at 4500 hours 1.5 years , all oled in max brightness with static content every day will burn , its not if but when it will burn , not cover by the warranty .
Yeah, I'm nervous about the burn in honestly. My wife uses the TV a lot and just leaves on news.

I don't mind waiting a little bit but is there anything new coming that I should look for from Sony? I know the Vizio 75 Quantum X is rolling out Spring and that looks very enticing.
post #6618 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Yeah, I'm nervous about the burn in honestly. My wife uses the TV a lot and just leaves on news.

I don't mind waiting a little bit but is there anything new coming that I should look for from Sony? I know the Vizio 75 Quantum X is rolling out Spring and that looks very enticing.
sony coming out with the x1 ultimate , dont know how it will be better for pq , vizio i go read on the quantum series some happy some not , a forum on it is here on avs , i have a bad taste vizio 3 x tv inside a month defective , for other brand a part of thesamsung q8fn not much in the market now , tcl coming with big screen in 2019 they construct the largest gen 11 screen plan in the world , tcl is the number 3 in the world
https://www.androidheadlines.com/201...-ces-2019.html , if you need a tv now sony is a good choice , if you can wait the new sony to see or tcl maybe worth the wait , i think tv will see their price going down again in 2019 , tcl will be agresive in pricing in big screen .
post #6619 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
First post here. Thanks to everyone whose comments on these boards have both educated and entertained me while doing research on (slowly) building my set up. Just this week I switched out our 6 year old Samsung, 3D able, 50" plasma for the Sony 900F "55. So far I'm very happy as is the wife which is key.

The way I've always set things up is I run everything into the AVR and output from there to the TV/Monitor. This includes the cable box, my PS3 and a multi region DVD player. There is a RF cable out from the Comcast unit that I connected to the TV's RF input.

I have a Denon XR2400H, which I purchased because I thought it was the best AVR I could afford with two HDMI outs which was needed for a projector. I should note that I turned off the video enhancement functions of the Denon before connecting it to the Sony's ARC HDMI input.

Thanks for reading this and for any suggestions or comments.
Congratulations on your purchase. Experiment with the onboard apps. I did initially use the PS4 but I think the onboard are a fair bit better. Plus the Netflix App on the PS3 is a bit old. Haven’t used the PS4 for awhile it didn’t do Dolby vision last time I used it for that function. Xbox One S is connected now as a 4K UHD / blu ray player. PS4 is on the 2nd set.
Mattel Jones likes this.
post #6620 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanasis Xrisatzas View Post
Share if you can,i want to try your new one.
Here is my just calibrated on new i1D3 meter BT.1886/2.4 average gamma target settings. Be forewarned that others have told me my TV's Bias is natively too high in set, so my calibrations for low end (RGB Bias) might be too low for you resulting in some black crush. Others have said the calibrations carry over to their sets amazingly...panel variations.

Put these in Expert 1 or 2 under Cinema Pro or Home color modes, with gamma set to -3.

X900F 2.4/BT.1886 HDMI Cinema Calibration 3000:1 contrast ratio

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -4
B-Gain -4
R-Bias 9
G-Bias 10
B-Bias 1

10 Point
Point 1 Max 18 17
Point 2 10 11 9
Point 3 -2 -2 -1
Point 4 6 5 4
Point 5 -6 -5 -4
Point 6 0 -1 0
Point 7 -3 -4 -3
Point 8 -2 -1 -2
Point 9 -1 -1 -2
Point 10 0 -1 0

You can see from the numbers, BT.1886 pulls UP on the shadow details, and down on the upper range. This would off-hand seem to mean lower contrast, and it does, but the resulting image to the eye, at least to me is more contrast and punchier. Works best with BluRay and Streaming services...less so with a lot of crappy cable TV shows...keep a 2.2 normal profile around for those. I use The Cloverfield Paradox in Dolby Vison or HDR10 to test my gamma profile and settings...it's a dark scene movie with lots of colorful sci-fi blinking lights and such, set in space.

Paul
Thanasis Xrisatzas likes this.
post #6621 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just got my 85x900F.

Question: I have my TV connected via Optical Audio Cable to my Pioneer 5.1 stereo. All I want is for the volume buttons on the remote to control the receiver. I set up the IR blaster and went through the settings, the test worked. But I have no idea how to set up the dang remote so that volume always controls the receiver.

I changed the Audio/Out to Fixed and that didn't do it. Can find any information on how to do what I was able to do on my TV 10 years ago.. you would think in 2019 this wouldn't be that hard, hoping its just a simple setting i"m missing. Please help!!
post #6622 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

I believe Optical is just a fixed data stream, no level control to it from the source.
This would be what ARC is for, if your Pioneer has ARC use that. Standard CEC (I think it's CEC) allows Bravia Sync (it's in your TV menu) to control the AV receivers volume from the TV's remote control, assuming its attached using the HDMI 3 ARC output.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
Just got my 85x900F.

Question: I have my TV connected via Optical Audio Cable to my Pioneer 5.1 stereo. All I want is for the volume buttons on the remote to control the receiver. I set up the IR blaster and went through the settings, the test worked. But I have no idea how to set up the dang remote so that volume always controls the receiver.

I changed the Audio/Out to Fixed and that didn't do it. Can find any information on how to do what I was able to do on my TV 10 years ago.. you would think in 2019 this wouldn't be that hard, hoping its just a simple setting i"m missing. Please help!!
post #6623 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I know everyone (including myself) is probably sick of all the Dolby Vision questions so I'll apologize in advance. I have the 75" 900F running to a Denon 3400 with a XBOX One for 4k DVD's and a 4k Apple TV for my streaming services. I am able to watch Dolby Vision Netflix shows through the Xbox, built in TV app and the Apple TV Netflix app without any issues. But I tried to watch both the Venom and the Justice League 4k DVD's this morning and neither will display in Dolby Vision. I tried unplugging it from the AVR and plugging it directly into the TV and still would not play in Dolby Vision. Just to make sure I exhausted all avenues I unplugged my LG UBK90 4k player (that displays Dolby Vision with my LG B7) from downstairs and plugged it up to my setup upstairs and also could not get the Dolby Vision to work. Anybody have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
post #6624 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
Just got my 85x900F.

You can do this. I had mine set up that way, but the response was so slow and delayed l turned it off. Did you add the receiver to your TV. It's in the menu somewhere.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #6625 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I believe Optical is just a fixed data stream, no level control to it from the source.
This would be what ARC is for, if your Pioneer has ARC use that. Standard CEC (I think it's CEC) allows Bravia Sync (it's in your TV menu) to control the AV receivers volume from the TV's remote control, assuming its attached using the HDMI 3 ARC output.

Paul
Not looking for the TV to control volume via the optical cable... rather simply to use the IR blaster to control the volume function. What's the point of setting up the IR blaster for the IR receiver if I can't actually use the remote provided to adjust? Makes no sense.

So, here's the other problem..I don't want to waste my HDMI 3 Input that supports 3k HDR on my receiver. I don't have any video going to my receiver.

This is so frustrating! Anyone else with any tips?
post #6626 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZNBY View Post
You can do this. I had mine set up that way, but the response was so slow and delayed l turned it off. Did you add the receiver to your TV. It's in the menu somewhere.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Yes, the receiver is added. Still can't use remote to change the volume.
post #6627 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is my just calibrated on new i1D3 meter BT.1886/2.4 average gamma target settings. Be forewarned that others have told me my TV's Bias is natively too high in set, so my calibrations for low end (RGB Bias) might be too low for you resulting in some black crush. Others have said the calibrations carry over to their sets amazingly...panel variations.

Put these in Expert 1 or 2 under Cinema Pro or Home color modes, with gamma set to -3.

X900F 2.4/BT.1886 HDMI Cinema Calibration 3000:1 contrast ratio

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -4
B-Gain -4
R-Bias 9
G-Bias 10
B-Bias 1

10 Point
Point 1 Max 18 17
Point 2 10 11 9
Point 3 -2 -2 -1
Point 4 6 5 4
Point 5 -6 -5 -4
Point 6 0 -1 0
Point 7 -3 -4 -3
Point 8 -2 -1 -2
Point 9 -1 -1 -2
Point 10 0 -1 0

You can see from the numbers, BT.1886 pulls UP on the shadow details, and down on the upper range. This would off-hand seem to mean lower contrast, and it does, but the resulting image to the eye, at least to me is more contrast and punchier. Works best with BluRay and Streaming services...less so with a lot of crappy cable TV shows...keep a 2.2 normal profile around for those. I use The Cloverfield Paradox in Dolby Vison or HDR10 to test my gamma profile and settings...it's a dark scene movie with lots of colorful sci-fi blinking lights and such, set in space.

Paul

You are right its different,not yet sure if i like them better or not,but i think that colors are more true to the "original" now.And no black crash with the new ones.Thanks
post #6628 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I've been messing around with things tonight after doing a factory reset and it isn't good. Not only does it not fix the Vudu HDR issue but it seems that there are some issues with the Android TV keyboard which is preventing me from logging into various internal apps including VUDU, DirectvNow (sideloaded). The apps that have their own keyboard (Netflix, Amazon) can be logged into successfully.

For those who haven't updated to the newest firmware yet, I would advise against it. Fortunately I use streaming apps from my ATV4K so it won't affect me short term but I'll definitely be contacting Sony support tomorrow.
PlanetAVS - Do you have any updated information on the Vudu issue or after talking to Sony Support? its very strange in that when I watch it from Vudu it looks Hi Def to me like it could be in HDR, however the TV settings don't show it when you go to the Picture adjustment. Very odd and unfortunate as I have many Vudu Movies. Appreciate any updates or experience from other's after upgrade.
post #6629 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Like I mentioned, a lot of normal TV content looks pretty bad on BT.1886, but throw a BluRay or 4K stream at it to really see if you want to keep the settings for those. Netflix specifies its content providers use 2.4/BT.1886 as the calibration standard for grading their shows, so BT.1886 would look how they meant it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanasis Xrisatzas View Post
You are right its different,not yet sure if i like them better or not,but i think that colors are more true to the "original" now.And no black crash with the new ones.Thanks
post #6630 of 9747 Old 01-26-2019, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I want to use the tv for streaming aps. The sound is important to us. We run everything through an Onkyo nr686. I have the tv audio running out through an optical cable, not the hdmi. I am using hdmi one for the receiver to the tv. Is this the best way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page