2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 222 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4444Likes

post #6631 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZNBY View Post
You can do this. I had mine set up that way, but the response was so slow and delayed l turned it off. Did you add the receiver to your TV. It's in the menu somewhere.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
So here's an interesting tid bit... the IR Blaster works for the AV Receiver when I hit the Muting button on the remote. I just don't know why I'm not able to control the volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone had any luck hooking up a hard drive and using the USB ports to access their music library? I’ve been trying it with a USB stick and it seems to work fine but it takes forever to compile the artists, albums and songs. I’m assuming that a hard drive would be much quicker. Also, I’ve read that the new firmware update improves the audio app. Does anybody have any comments regarding the improvements on it?
post #6633 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony Support on new Oreo upgrade

Planet AVS and others interested.

I just got off a support Chat with Sony. They were able to remote into my TV to see why I cannot get HDR or Dolby displayed in my picture adjustment Video when watching and streaming Vudu. They did a data clean and force stop. However that did not fix the issue.

I then was surprised by the answer they gave me I quote:

As per our information, there is a new updated for Vudu app which supports HDR. However, the new updated Vudu is only compatible with a few certain TV and the compatible TV for the new updated Vudu app are:

XBR-49X700D
XBR-55X700D
XBR-43X800D
XBR-49X800D
XBR-43X800E
XBR-49X800E
XBR-55X800E
XBR-49X900E
XBR-55X900E
XBR-65X900E
XBR-75X900E
XBR-55X930E
XBR-65X930E
XBR-75X940E
XBR-55A1E
XBR-65A1E
XBR-77A1E
XBR-65Z9F
XBR-75Z9F
XBR-55A9F
XBR-65A9F
XBR-55A8F
XBR-65A8F

4:22:48 PM Me (MY RESPONSE)
Wow - Interesting to the upper 900F is not on your list. Makes no sense that new Vudu app compatible with older models but not the 900F

Support:
Being a customer myself, I can certainly understand how it feels when suddenly our valued product stops working. However, I'll take this as a feedback and forward to the appropriate team.

I also let them know that others are facing the exact same issue. Not much help, however he said he would document the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6634 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichaels View Post
PlanetAVS - Do you have any updated information on the Vudu issue or after talking to Sony Support? its very strange in that when I watch it from Vudu it looks Hi Def to me like it could be in HDR, however the TV settings don't show it when you go to the Picture adjustment. Very odd and unfortunate as I have many Vudu Movies. Appreciate any updates or experience from other's after upgrade.
That's exactly the issue, it shows the HDR icon in the pic settings but the applicable HDR settings are not engaged (for example, Brightness should be at max for HDR10 or Dolby Vision). Bottom line is that HDR from some of the internal apps (Vudu, Google Play, Youtube) is broken since the Oreo update. Youtube HDR has been broken all along. Netflix, Amazon and Movies Anywhere all work correctly as far as I can see.

Spent quite a bit of time on the phone with first line Sony support today. They are going to escalate it to a higher level support and I'll talk to them on Monday. It's probably not worth my time since I use my ATV 4K for streaming but I'm already in up to my waist.....lol. Seriously though, I would like to see a fix for Youtube HDR but I'm doubtful that will happen on this support request.
Educated Idiot likes this.
post #6635 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Planet, since you have them calling you back already, could you maybe pass along the issue with the 10 point calibration where it can inadvertently copy previous values from the previous point if you don't back out of the point, then back in before moving over to the next point using the menu? It took me an extra hour to calibrate my BT.1886 this morning with all the extra backing out and reentering I had to do.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
That's exactly the issue, it shows the HDR icon in the pic settings but the applicable HDR settings are not engaged (for example, Brightness should be at max for HDR10 or Dolby Vision). Bottom line is that HDR from some of the internal apps (Vudu, Google Play, Youtube) is broken since the Oreo update. Youtube HDR has been broken all along. Netflix, Amazon and Movies Anywhere all work correctly as far as I can see.

Spent quite a bit of time on the phone with first line Sony support today. They are going to escalate it to a higher level support and I'll talk to them on Monday. It's probably not worth my time since I use my ATV 4K for streaming but I'm already in up to my waist.....lol. Seriously though, I would like to see a fix for Youtube HDR but I'm doubtful that will happen on this support request.
post #6636 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Planet, since you have them calling you back already, could you maybe pass along the issue with the 10 point calibration where it can inadvertently copy previous values from the previous point if you don't back out of the point, then back in before moving over to the next point using the menu? It took me an extra hour to calibrate my BT.1886 this morning with all the extra backing out and reentering I had to do.

Paul
No problem will do. I actually have a few other issues with them that I brought up:
  1. Google Keyboard locks on upper case or switches language, thereby preventing me from logging into Vudu, Directv now and any other apps that use the internal keyboard
  2. Changes to pic settings for a given mode are not saved when I exit and then re enter the mode
  3. HDR mode from the Video Options sporadically disappears in Apps Input mode, I was using this as a custom picture mode to force HDR10 when viewing Youtube HDR

The Sony support agent mentioned to me that there are 6 known issues with the Oreo update that they are working on. ARC failure, dim brightness, lines on the screen were some of them. My guess is that these could be user configuration issues but Sony apparently is working on them.
post #6637 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichaels View Post
Planet AVS and others interested.

I just got off a support Chat with Sony. They were able to remote into my TV to see why I cannot get HDR or Dolby displayed in my picture adjustment Video when watching and streaming Vudu. They did a data clean and force stop. However that did not fix the issue.

I then was surprised by the answer they gave me I quote:

As per our information, there is a new updated for Vudu app which supports HDR. However, the new updated Vudu is only compatible with a few certain TV and the compatible TV for the new updated Vudu app are:

XBR-49X700D
XBR-55X700D
XBR-43X800D
XBR-49X800D
XBR-43X800E
XBR-49X800E
XBR-55X800E
XBR-49X900E
XBR-55X900E
XBR-65X900E
XBR-75X900E
XBR-55X930E
XBR-65X930E
XBR-75X940E
XBR-55A1E
XBR-65A1E
XBR-77A1E
XBR-65Z9F
XBR-75Z9F
XBR-55A9F
XBR-65A9F
XBR-55A8F
XBR-65A8F

4:22:48 PM Me (MY RESPONSE)
Wow - Interesting to the upper 900F is not on your list. Makes no sense that new Vudu app compatible with older models but not the 900F

Support:
Being a customer myself, I can certainly understand how it feels when suddenly our valued product stops working. However, I'll take this as a feedback and forward to the appropriate team.

I also let them know that others are facing the exact same issue. Not much help, however he said he would document the issue.
I'm skeptical of this. Might be worth raising with Vudu support to validate if this is true.
post #6638 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Thanks Planet. Hoping they get the YouTube thing fixed as well...the previous firmware update enabled youTube to flag as HDR, but just as Oreo, the TV doesn't auto activate the HDR/BT2020/Contrast Max settings to go with it. I did a full system reset after Oreo update, but the 10 point glitch persists...seems to only affect the 10-50 range and maybe just the R values?

Anyone else have issues wiht YouTube 4K 60p HDR videos stuttering?

Quote:
No problem will do. I actually have a few other issues with them that I brought up:
  1. Google Keyboard locks on upper case or switches language, thereby preventing me from logging into Vudu, Directv now and any other apps that use the internal keyboard
  2. Changes to pic settings for a given mode are not saved when I exit and then re enter the mode
  3. HDR mode from the Video Options sporadically disappears in Apps Input mode, I was using this as a custom picture mode to force HDR10 when viewing Youtube HDR

The Sony support agent mentioned to me that there are 6 known issues with the Oreo update that they are working on. ARC failure, dim brightness, lines on the screen were some of them. My guess is that these could be user configuration issues but Sony apparently is working on them.
post #6639 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated Idiot View Post
Been lurking on and off for years but finally decided to join the melees with this Thread.

Recently purchased the 75x900f thanks to info here and Rtings mostly. Having a slight issue with HDR10 discs though.

Here is my setup: Xbox one x (all boxes checked to allow hdr10 4k Dolby vision etc) which is hooked into my Pioneer LX303 with the Xbox cable. The Pioneer is then hooked into the TV HDMI 3 Arc port with enhanced enabled using the Monoprice certified cable.

I have watched a few Dolby vision films using the Xbox and it seems to set that correctly on HDR auto. Last night I watched Deadpool 2 and about 20 minutes into it I thought this looks far too bright overall for an HDR film (which is how many of you like it I know 😉 ). So I checked the display and noticed that the HDR badge was not lot up like it is for DV films. So I went to the HDR setting and forced it to HDR10 and it was how I expected it to look and the badge was lit as well.

So my question is this, has anyone else encountered issues with HDR10 triggering with it set to auto; Xbox one x or any other player? Any idea what may be going on or what to try?

I have already gone through all the Xbox and tv.settings and everything seems to be as it should. Still running Android 7.0 also, although probably doesn't matter. Can't install 8 as it won't recognize my thumb drive, just says it was safely ejected every time I install it (tried different formats and everything too) but this is a different issue. Haha

Thanks in advance. And thank you all for the pages of insight for us new buyers.
Hey man, any luck on figuring this out. I guess I'm having the same issue but on the other side of things. My HDR movies are displaying correctly but I can't get my DV movies like Venom and Justice League to play in Dolby Vision. Driving me insane trying to figure this out.
post #6640 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:

This issue was present before the Oreo update. As a work around I have set up cinema home as my hdr input with brightness upped to max and use this for those apps that don’t make hdr auto switch
post #6641 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
This issue was present before the Oreo update. As a work around I have set up cinema home as my hdr input with brightness upped to max and use this for those apps that don’t make hdr auto switch
I'm not on Oreo yet and I don't have this issue.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6642 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post

I'm not on Oreo yet and I don't have this issue.

You sure about that? Go to the YouTube app or google play and watch a hdr vid and see if your brightness settings change
post #6643 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Youtube HDR has been broken all along.
Quote:
I think I said that

There are settings other than setting brightness to max that are not being engaged as well.
post #6644 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
You sure about that? Go to the YouTube app or google play and watch a hdr vid and see if your brightness settings change
Oh, I thought you were saying apps like Vudu and Netflix performed this way. I don't use Google Play or watch HDR stuff on YouTube.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6645 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan1976 View Post
Hey man, any luck on figuring this out. I guess I'm having the same issue but on the other side of things. My HDR movies are displaying correctly but I can't get my DV movies like Venom and Justice League to play in Dolby Vision. Driving me insane trying to figure this out.
Unfortunately I have not figured it out yet. Weird how our issues are the exact opposite. At least with HDR10 I can force it in the pictures settings but with Dolby Vision I bet that is not available for you is it? Such a bummer when things don't just work when they seem so simple. Hearing from all the people on here with the Oreo update issues it makes me glad i was unable to force mine to work through the USB thumb drive now. I hope they get those bugs sorted out for you all soon and then release an updated Oreo version.

I will certainly let you know bearcatfan1976 if/when I determine a solution.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #6646 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I have not figured it out yet. Weird how our issues are the exact opposite. At least with HDR10 I can force it in the pictures settings but with Dolby Vision I bet that is not available for you is it? Such a bummer when things don't just work when they seem so simple. Hearing from all the people on here with the Oreo update issues it makes me glad i was unable to force mine to work through the USB thumb drive now. I hope they get those bugs sorted out for you all soon and then release an updated Oreo version.

I will certainly let you know bearcatfan1976 if/when I determine a solution.
Educated Idiot, you're talking about Dolby Vision streamed movies right? Last I heard, Xbox forces DV at least for the Netflix app. Not sure if it also forces DV for other apps such as Vudu. If so, that would explain why it defaults to DV and you have to manually turn it off for non DV content such as Deadpool 2. Last I heard, Xbox doesn't support DV for disc play so I am guessing this is what is happening.

bearcatfan1976, as mentioned above Xbox doesn't support DV for disc play. That's why you have only been getting HDR10, even on DV discs. Rgarding your LG UHD player, it does not support the Sony DV profile. Therefore you'll only get HDR10 from that player on the 900F as well. Sorry, I'm in the same boat with my Philips UHD Dolby Vision capable player.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 01-26-2019 at 11:36 PM.
post #6647 of 10065 Old 01-26-2019, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Thanks Planet. Hoping they get the YouTube thing fixed as well...the previous firmware update enabled youTube to flag as HDR, but just as Oreo, the TV doesn't auto activate the HDR/BT2020/Contrast Max settings to go with it. I did a full system reset after Oreo update, but the 10 point glitch persists...seems to only affect the 10-50 range and maybe just the R values?

Anyone else have issues wiht YouTube 4K 60p HDR videos stuttering?
Tried to replicate your problem as Sony support will do a remote connection and then ask me to demonstrate the issue. I wasn't able to replicate your issue with the 10 point adjustments, at least as I understand your problem.
post #6648 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
RE: "When you can not afford a OLED and still want a good TV, look at the 900F or Q8FN......"

This statement, IMHO, needs to be clarified. If you cannot afford an OLED OR do not want to deal with OLED's significant banding or tint issues, then look at the 900F (I'd drop the Q8FN.)

If blacker than black and OLED rules your world (wants/needs) - then please do yourself a favor and read the many OLED AVS Forums before you purchase. Yes, no TV is perfect but the number one issue (IMHO) that is an absolute deal killer for picture quality is banding. We're all subject to panel lottery but the OLED's, especially the larger size screens, are more prone to significant banding than a FALD LCD Sony set.
True that, OLED is not perfect and not for everyone....I rather have a 85X900F then a 77" OLED, I like the size more then quality.
post #6649 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
True that, OLED is not perfect and not for everyone....I rather have a 85X900F then a 77" OLED, I like the size more then quality.
Curious. What are your thoughts if Q8F and the X900F are the same price?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #6650 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Film grain
Hi guys - I’ve had the 55” xbr900f for a couple of weeks now -
I’m coming from a Samsung 49” js8500 and I’m about 8.5 feet away.

I’m noticing lots more film grain on the Sony.
Using cinema pro with just brightness and motion tweaks for the most part.

I love the increased size, better motion handling, and more natural and (to my eye) color vs the Samsung but I’m wondering if there is a way to dial back the graininess or if its just that I’m seeing it more with the size upgrade.
Thanks
JJK
post #6651 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Educated Idiot, you're talking about Dolby Vision streamed movies right? Last I heard, Xbox forces DV at least for the Netflix app. Not sure if it also forces DV for other apps such as Vudu. If so, that would explain why it defaults to DV and you have to manually turn it off for non DV content such as Deadpool 2. Last I heard, Xbox doesn't support DV for disc play so I am guessing this is what is happening.

bearcatfan1976, as mentioned above Xbox doesn't support DV for disc play. That's why you have only been getting HDR10, even on DV discs. Rgarding your LG UHD player, it does not support the Sony DV profile. Therefore you'll only get HDR10 from that player on the 900F as well. Sorry, I'm in the same boat with my Philips UHD Dolby Vision capable player.
PlanetAVS, first off thanks for getting the discussion started on this panel and for your help as well as all the other contributors on here helping out us newbies with this panel. (EDIT: I saw PlanetAVS posting a lot of useful info so I mistakenly thought he started this thread and that was actually Cleveland Plasma. So thank you kindly sir.)

My issue was strictly with the Xbox One X playing UHD discs. It was odd, I could have sworn that when I first received the TV I tried a Dolby Vision disc using the Xbox One X and it played showing the badge and everything. Now I am believing this is not the case and I just got used to seeing it using the TVs own Netflix app possibly.

I decided to try my Xbox One X on another 4k panel, a TCL 615 as that panel also plays DV. What I found was that it clearly stated that this TV has an older version of DV that is not compatible with the Xbox so it will not even allow me to check the DV box in the Xbox settings (apparently, based on what you have said it would not matter anyway). At any rate, that TV does default to playing a DV UHD disc in HDR10 though automatically, no need to force HDR mode like i was having to do on the Sony.

So with the Xbox One X hooked up to the Sony X900F playing the same discs, with HDR mode set to auto, it would play in SDR, I was physically having to force it into HDR10 mode which seemed odd. So, looking at the Xbox settings I noticed that I had the Dolby Vision box checked (It was greyed out and non-selectable on the TCL). So I put in Atomic Blonde UHD disc which is DV and a strange error pop up "for optimal picture quality, connect your 4K Ultra HD player to a television that supports 4k Ultra HD with HDR." I had not seen this message before but I guess all the other discs I had watched so far were HDR10? So I tried unchecking the DV box in the Xbox settings and bingo, the TV now automatically switched to HDR10 mode to play Atomic Blonde.

So there appears to be an issue with having the DV box checked when playing HDR10 discs (and DV discs for that matter), at least for my setup (Xbox to Pioneer AVR with Xbox cable then to TV with Monoprice Certified cable). I see no reason to keep the DV box checked in the Xbox settings since, as you and others have pointed out, it does not support DV disc playing at the point. It does indeed change the Xbox Netflix app to not show DV but instead standard HDR doing it this way though but I am ok with the TV built in app for Netflix which currently does play DV anyway (I just lose out on the sound a little since it is piping DD+Atmos back to the receiver via ARC which I am assuming is of slightly lesser quality than true Atmos that the Xbox could play plugged right into the AVR?)

On a side note, doing a little net research, I ran across a reddit post where someone that swears they are an Xbox beta insider is indeed testing DV using UHD disc on the Xbox so it sounds like they are looking to possibly add it with a future update, which I would be happy about since I incorrectly thought it did support UHD DV playback (one of the reasons I justified buying it as a UHD player haha).

Hopefully my long winded post helps someone else.

Last edited by Educated Idiot; 01-28-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #6652 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
will X900F support eARC? anyone updated the FW posted 01/22/19? are there any issues?

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights

Last edited by iserum; 01-27-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #6653 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJK1 View Post
Film grain
Hi guys - I’ve had the 55” xbr900f for a couple of weeks now -
I’m coming from a Samsung 49” js8500 and I’m about 8.5 feet away.

I’m noticing lots more film grain on the Sony.
Using cinema pro with just brightness and motion tweaks for the most part.

I love the increased size, better motion handling, and more natural and (to my eye) color vs the Samsung but I’m wondering if there is a way to dial back the graininess or if its just that I’m seeing it more with the size upgrade.
Thanks
JJK

You can dial it back if you like,with random and digital noise reduction.We have two Samsung tvs here and they dont have that grain effect,but they do have a softer image...After i saw both i realized that i prefer the sharper image more (thats why i leave it at default)
post #6654 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Possibly a dumb question but is everything that is in 4K always HDR as well?

I know that in Netflix, in the description it will either say Ultra HD 4K or Dolby Vision which is a bit misleading in that the Dolby Vision is also Ultra HD 4K. I haven’t seen any specific mention of HDR.

I’ve just been checking the Picture Settings menu when watching anything on Netflix that is described as Ultra Hd 4K and haven’t seen the HDR tag. I just want to make sure I have all the correct settings enabled.
post #6655 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
PlanetAVS, first off thanks for getting the discussion started on this panel and for your help as well as all the other contributors on here helping out us newbies with this panel.

My issue was strictly with the Xbox One X playing UHD discs. It was odd, I could have sworn that when I first received the TV I tried a Dolby Vision disc using the Xbox One X and it played showing the badge and everything. Now I am believing this is not the case and I just got used to seeing it using the TVs own Netflix app possibly.

I decided to try my Xbox One X on another 4k panel, a TCL 615 as that panel also plays DV. What I found was that it clearly stated that this TV has an older version of DV that is not compatible with the Xbox so it will not even allow me to check the DV box in the Xbox settings (apparently, based on what you have said it would not matter anyway). At any rate, that TV does default to playing a DV UHD disc in HDR10 though automatically, no need to force HDR mode like i was having to do on the Sony.

So with the Xbox One X hooked up to the Sony X900F playing the same discs, with HDR mode set to auto, it would play in SDR, I was physically having to force it into HDR10 mode which seemed odd. So, looking at the Xbox settings I noticed that I had the Dolby Vision box checked (It was greyed out and non-selectable on the TCL). So I put in Atomic Blonde UHD disc which is DV and a strange error pop up "for optimal picture quality, connect your 4K Ultra HD player to a television that supports 4k Ultra HD with HDR." I had not seen this message before but I guess all the other discs I had watched so far were HDR10? So I tried unchecking the DV box in the Xbox settings and bingo, the TV now automatically switched to HDR10 mode to play Atomic Blonde.

So there appears to be an issue with having the DV box checked when playing HDR10 discs (and DV discs for that matter), at least for my setup (Xbox to Pioneer AVR with Xbox cable then to TV with Monoprice Certified cable). I see no reason to keep the DV box checked in the Xbox settings since, as you and others have pointed out, it does not support DV disc playing at the point. It does indeed change the Xbox Netflix app to not show DV but instead standard HDR doing it this way though but I am ok with the TV built in app for Netflix which currently does play DV anyway (I just lose out on the sound a little since it is piping DD+Atmos back to the receiver via ARC which I am assuming is of slightly lesser quality than true Atmos that the Xbox could play plugged right into the AVR?)

On a side note, doing a little net research, I ran across a reddit post where someone that swears they are an Xbox beta insider is indeed testing DV using UHD disc on the Xbox so it sounds like they are looking to possibly add it with a future update, which I would be happy about since I incorrectly thought it did support UHD DV playback (one of the reasons I justified buying it as a UHD player haha).

Hopefully my long winded post helps someone else.
Dolby Vision has become a bit of a complicated landscape in the last year. Sony has their own proprietary version (profile) of DV, and Xbox has its own proprietary version as well. Which is creating compatibility issues everywhere.

You have most of it figured out correctly above. For your TCL, the TV is not compatible with the XBOX version of DV although TCL has publicly committed to issuing a firmware upgrade to catch up. I'd suggest keeping DV off on your Xbox unless you have some DV games, in which case you'll have to switch it on/off as necessary. Unfortunately with your current setup you won't be able to take advantage of DV discs, at least until Xbox supports it.

I'd suggest using the internal 900F Netflix app which supports both DV and ATMOS. No need to use Xbox for Netflix. The Netflix ATMOS from Xbox is the same lossy DD+ ATMOS as is available from the 900F. You are probably thinking of the lossless True HD ATMOS that the Xbox is capable of from UHD discs. Unfortunately this isn't available in the Netflix app. It's a limitation of the Netflix app (on all devices, not just Xbox). In fact, no streaming servides provide True HD ATMOS at this time.
post #6656 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
Possibly a dumb question but is everything that is in 4K always HDR as well?

I know that in Netflix, in the description it will either say Ultra HD 4K or Dolby Vision which is a bit misleading in that the Dolby Vision is also Ultra HD 4K. I haven’t seen any specific mention of HDR.

I’ve just been checking the Picture Settings menu when watching anything on Netflix that is described as Ultra Hd 4K and haven’t seen the HDR tag. I just want to make sure I have all the correct settings enabled.
Not all 4K is in HDR. Ultra HD 4K means 4K SDR. If the title is in HDR, it will indicate it in the program header info.

To make things more complicated, most but not all HDR content is in 4K. There are some 1080P HDR titles such as Ballad of Buster Scruggs.
post #6657 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
will X900F support eARC? anyone updated the FW posted 01/22/19? are there any issues?
Lots of issues with the internal apps in the latest firmware. Read the last few days of discussion for details.
post #6658 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 11:01 AM

Yes sir, you're well appraised of the situation. And like you have mentioned I am completely fine with using the TVs own apps for Netflix, Vudu, Amazon etc as they look great to me and apparently I'm getting equal sound anyway (I assumed audio being piped back to my receiver via ARC would still be somewhat less than an HDMI straight into an AVR since the pipeline is limited in ARC but from what you're saying since it isn't true Atmos anyway, that limitation isn't even met). So good to go for now and hopefully Xbox does indeed add DV in the future for disc playback. Don't you just love format battles and semi-early adoptership?! Haha
bearcatfan1976 and _spasm_ like this.

post #6659 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Really appreciate you clearing that up Planet. I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out. It would be nice if these companies would stop getting in a pissing match with each other and would get on the same page to benefit the consumer. Do you know of any 4k players that do play nice with the 900f? I can still return my LG.
post #6660 of 10065 Old 01-27-2019, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 85X900F.
Does anyone have any experience paring this TV with a Amazon 4K Dolby Vision Fire stick ?
How does the Dolby Vision HDR look watching Amazon Prime or Netflix using the fire stick ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page