2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4349Likes

post #6721 of 9712 Old 01-28-2019, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Sounds like more Oreo issues are popping up.

I had my followup call with "2nd level support" this evening. Basically it was a waste of time and they denied that there is an issue with HDR on the internal apps (Vudu,Google Play, Youtube). Essentially their position was "if there is an HDR indicator in the picture adjustments settings menu then it is playing in HDR". I complained and they committed to escalating it further to a technician who will review and call me back within 24 hours. Stay tuned.
ThanskPlanetAVS.

You wrote: Essentially their position was "if there is an HDR indicator in the picture adjustments settings menu then it is playing in HDR". That's precisely my issue when watching VUDU there is no such HDR indicator in the Picture Adjustment Menu when watching a UHD with HDR content. Therefore based on their own definition - it aint working. I will try and call support later as well. Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 9712 Old 01-28-2019, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys got my xf90 yesterday I have lots questions if possible. Firmware and Google store updated.

1. Is there a problem with YouTube app? Most 4k or 4k videos doesn't load smoth and good, always shutter and lags even using WiFi or cable fiber ... Seems the app sucks? It's really annoying. (YouTube app on ps4pro works fine)

2. Any calibration settings for PS4pro and ps4pro HDR?

3. Movie calibrations and 4k movie calibrations should I use the same as ps4pro?

4. Does for ex the input ps4pro hdmi can have 2 settings calibration automatically? One for hdr games one for sdr game? Does the Sony active and remember both settings on PS4?

Thanks
post #6723 of 9712 Old 01-28-2019, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Has the latest firmware broken eARC (or just ARC) to receivers for anyone else? I've been an owner for a months now, running the 65" 900F via HDMI3/ARC to a Denon 4500h. I have HDMI Control set to On (which enables ARC) on the 4500h.

Ever since I did that, whenever I turn the TV on it powered on my 4500h and set it to TV Audio and automatically ran audio from the TV to the Denon. Since I updated to the latest Sony firmware (v6.5830) whenever I power on the TV it does not power on the Denon. I manually power the Denon on and no matter what input I select (TV Audio or CBL/SAT) it will not auto detect the ARC signal from the TV. When I manually select external audio from the TV it acknowledges the command, but no sound comes out of the Denon, and then a few seconds later it says No External Audio detected, switching to TV speakers. I've done a microprocessor reset of the Denon, and a hard reset of the TV (holding power down 5 seconds). I've unseated and reseated the HDMI cable. I'm using Certified Premium HDMI cables from Monoprice which have worked like a champ since I bought them.

Here's the weird thing. When I power OFF the TV...it powers off the Denon. So some signal is going from the TV to the Denon. But then when I power on the TV again, the Denon stays off. And when I power on the Denon, I can't get it (or the TV) to sense an audio signal.

Since I tried the soft reset, then the microprocessor reset on the Denon, and the hard power button 5 second reset on the Sony...I'm officially out of ideas. Thoughts? Anyone else have this happen after the recent firmware update?

EDIT: one more observation. It's clearly the volume/audio HDMI controls that don't get transferred from the TV to the Denon. I have my Oppo 203 connected to the Denon, which then sends the picture to the TV. When I press PAUSE/PLAY etc. on the Sony remote, that command is still transferred to the Oppo just like it always did pre-new firmware. But when I press Vol Up/Down, it's the TV vol that is affected, versus when everything worked, the Denon's volume would go up/down.

Last edited by CarloM; 01-28-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6724 of 9712 Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6662 Post(s)
Liked: 6645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturkel View Post
So I did the update, Netflix works but then sometimes it goes to the N and just continually circles, I have to restart the set to ge tit to work, anyone else have this issue?
Happens on the firestick and a Sharp tv I have. Probably every devise I use Netflix on for that matter. It is more common then not.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 01-29-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #6725 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello every one. Ihave wiered problem im still on android 7 there is no orio here till now but my problem is there is handshake in dd+ audio on netflix ihave Marantz SR8012 but iguess the problem is with the tv ihave another player which play very well on any thing on same av reciver when ichange the setting on sound to play a dd+ as dd its play well
post #6726 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently bought a Sony XBR75X900F TV and UBP-X700 disc player, and am generally extremely pleased with both; excellent picture, amazing upscaling of 2K Blu-rays (and even SD stuff), so I'm basically a happy camper. However, despite making codsiderable pre-purchase efforts to ensure everything was Dolby Vision-ready (and it is - it works) DV looks simply awful to me. Dark, muddy, and soft, specifically. If I get any of my 4K Dolby Vision titles (I have 5 at the moment) dialed in to my satisfaction without DV on, then switch it on in the UHD player, the results are markedly worse. If I try to dial in a better result with it left on, it gets a little better looking (but still not that good) and things like white areas in menus become *painfully* bright. I've spent enough time failing to make it work better for now that I've given up, and just leave DV off. Needless to say, this is *not at all* what I was expecting from this allegedly cutting-edge tech. Is anyone else here experiencing anything like this, particularly with these same two units? Anyone have an explanation, or better yet a workaround? Like I said, the results are so poor, no matter what I do, that I simply can't use it. Having said that, the results without DV are pretty great, so I'm not doing too badly anyway, but it sure would be nice to see something like what this tech is supposedly able to deliver. Any help would be much appreciated!
post #6727 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Spencer View Post
I recently bought a Sony XBR75X900F TV and UBP-X700 disc player, and am generally extremely pleased with both; excellent picture, amazing upscaling of 2K Blu-rays (and even SD stuff), so I'm basically a happy camper. However, despite making codsiderable pre-purchase efforts to ensure everything was Dolby Vision-ready (and it is - it works) DV looks simply awful to me. Dark, muddy, and soft, specifically. If I get any of my 4K Dolby Vision titles (I have 5 at the moment) dialed in to my satisfaction without DV on, then switch it on in the UHD player, the results are markedly worse. If I try to dial in a better result with it left on, it gets a little better looking (but still not that good) and things like white areas in menus become *painfully* bright. I've spent enough time failing to make it work better for now that I've given up, and just leave DV off. Needless to say, this is *not at all* what I was expecting from this allegedly cutting-edge tech. Is anyone else here experiencing anything like this, particularly with these same two units? Anyone have an explanation, or better yet a workaround? Like I said, the results are so poor, no matter what I do, that I simply can't use it. Having said that, the results without DV are pretty great, so I'm not doing too badly anyway, but it sure would be nice to see something like what this tech is supposedly able to deliver. Any help would be much appreciated!

I prefer HDR10 to DV on this TV. I use my Xbox One X to handle my streaming of HDR content. My Xbox also works well for playing UHD Blu-Ray movies in HDR. I don't have an explanation for it. It seems like HDR is just kind of all over the place, so you have to pick what you like best out of what's available.
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6728 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
I prefer HDR10 to DV on this TV. I use my Xbox One X to handle my streaming of HDR content. My Xbox also works well for playing UHD Blu-Ray movies in HDR. I don't have an explanation for it. It seems like HDR is just kind of all over the place, so you have to pick what you like best out of what's available.
Thanks, yeah I read a post somewhere from another 900F owner that something's not quite right with it in Dolby Vision world. Wondering if anyone else might be able to shed some light. Does anyone know if Sony is aware of this issue, and if there's been any discussion of a fix/update? It's really pretty egregious.
post #6729 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey all,

I'm interested in purchasing a 55" X900F for an office space. I was wondering if there are issues that I should be aware of before making a purchase? I've skimmed through some of the pages and it appears that blooming and minor DSE seems to be the main issues. The TV will be used for mostly gaming and watching movies.
post #6730 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upir View Post
Hey all,

I'm interested in purchasing a 55" X900F for an office space. I was wondering if there are issues that I should be aware of before making a purchase? I've skimmed through some of the pages and it appears that blooming and minor DSE seems to be the main issues. The TV will be used for mostly gaming and watching movies.

I find that this TV is excellent for both movies and gaming. Yes, you might catch blooming now and then in HDR content due to the brightness being pumped to max, but I don't think you will notice it much and the overall picture quality is great. Games on my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro look fantastic on this TV.

Any TV you get will have issues. This one is the most balanced I've had and the pros outweigh the cons. DSE has not been an issue for me, and I am pretty sensitive to it. I had to get rid of my Vizio P due to bad DSE.
Educated Idiot likes this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6731 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by upir View Post
Hey all,

Just got 85x900f this past weekend. Happy to report no visible DSE. I do notice a little clouding at times in the upper right corner when watching a movie with upper/lower horizontal bars. Not sure if this is blooming or what, sometimes it's more visible when something bright is on the screen.

It's not enough for me to return the set, because no matter what you get you're likely to have some sort of defect. The Panel Lottery is real folks!
post #6732 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 45
So I got tired of all the bugs with the internal apps and picked up an appletv yesterday, wow, world of difference. It solved all the issues with vudu and is overall so much faster. Only a couple of issues; 1) I cannot get Dolby digital plus, 2) I can't efficiently control the tv functions with a single harmony remote.

To point 1, I think the issue is that when outputting above regular Dolby digital the ATV outputs in PCM, I think the TV can only process this as stereo. I'll have to look more into this. For now regular 5.1 is fine.

More importantly point 2. I use sony Bluetooth headphones that I connect to the TV to watch movies at night. Pretty easy to do, I just have to scroll through the TV menu and connect Bluetooth. Problem is, when I use the harmony remote I can only access the menus if I use the sony remote or I exit an activity and enter a specific device. Not a huge deal but still a bit of a pain. Does anyone know of a way to create a shortcut with the harmony remote to connect Bluetooth?
post #6733 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
So I got tired of all the bugs with the internal apps and picked up an appletv yesterday, wow, world of difference. It solved all the issues with vudu and is overall so much faster. Only a couple of issues; 1) I cannot get Dolby digital plus, 2) I can't efficiently control the tv functions with a single harmony remote.

To point 1, I think the issue is that when outputting above regular Dolby digital the ATV outputs in PCM, I think the TV can only process this as stereo. I'll have to look more into this. For now regular 5.1 is fine.

More importantly point 2. I use sony Bluetooth headphones that I connect to the TV to watch movies at night. Pretty easy to do, I just have to scroll through the TV menu and connect Bluetooth. Problem is, when I use the harmony remote I can only access the menus if I use the sony remote or I exit an activity and enter a specific device. Not a huge deal but still a bit of a pain. Does anyone know of a way to create a shortcut with the harmony remote to connect Bluetooth?
To clarify, the ATV is connected to the Sony tv directly to HDMI 2 and the TV outputs audio to my Pioneer VSX90 receive via ARC. The receive won't pass HDR so I have to bypass it.
post #6734 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
How much superior is this tv over my x940c?
I'm not a fan of my 940's hdr gaming.
post #6735 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
So here's an interesting tid bit... the IR Blaster works for the AV Receiver when I hit the Muting button on the remote. I just don't know why I'm not able to control the volume.
You need to change the Speaker Settings to select "Audio System" instead of "TV Speakers". i.e. you can control the audio of the TV speakers and audio system at the same time
post #6736 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcancu View Post
You need to change the Speaker Settings to select "Audio System" instead of "TV Speakers". i.e. you can control the audio of the TV speakers and audio system at the same time
"can't control"
post #6737 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarroldharrell1 View Post
How much superior is this tv over my x940c?
I'm not a fan of my 940's hdr gaming.

Looks like the X900F will have better motion, input lag, and gray uniformity. What's wrong with the HDR in video games on your 940? Some complain that the HDR is dim on the X900F, but that hasn't been my experience. I think it looks great.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6738 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
Looks like the X900F will have better motion, input lag, and gray uniformity. What's wrong with the HDR in video games on your 940? Some complain that the HDR is dim on the X900F, but that hasn't been my experience. I think it looks great.
It locks into 1080p and doesnt allow for much adjustment on the brightness and colors. I want my HDR to be in 4K.
post #6739 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
It locks into 1080p and doesnt allow for much adjustment on the brightness and colors. I want my HDR to be in 4K.

Ahhh, then yes, I would think this would be a nice upgrade. There are plenty of brightness settings that you can tweak to get the picture the way you like it.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #6740 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 01:47 PM

I've been hearing that the 900F is crappy on streaming Netflix and Amazon. Is this true?
post #6741 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
I've been hearing that the 900F is crappy on streaming Netflix and Amazon. Is this true?
AndroidTV streams NetFlix very well, but many people report that Amazon Prime has frequent stuttering. YMMV

FYI this is almost invariable due to the App developer (not Google) not properly optimizing their app.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #6742 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

I have an ancient Harmony 670, and it's possible to customize all the buttons for each activity. So you could map a button to the "Action Menu" or "Audio" functions on the TV.
Being able to get a button to switch direct to headphones would be nice. Let us know if you figure out a way!
post #6743 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
AndroidTV streams NetFlix very well, but many people report that Amazon Prime has frequent stuttering. YMMV

FYI this is almost invariable due to the App developer (not Google) not properly optimizing their app.
I'm considering the 85/75x900f, couldn't I just bypass the Android UI for the most part by utilizing my Apple TV 4K?

It's what I did with the Vizio Smartcast, it was horrible, never used it, just used ATV4K

Honestly, I'm very tempted by the Z9D if it somehow drops any lower.
post #6744 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhumphrey View Post
I have an ancient Harmony 670, and it's possible to customize all the buttons for each activity. So you could map a button to the "Action Menu" or "Audio" functions on the TV.
Being able to get a button to switch direct to headphones would be nice. Let us know if you figure out a way!
I mapped the red button on the harmony to turn off the power of the receiver, this solves switching between TV audio and Receiver audio. The only problem I find with mapping buttons to control the TV is that I would have to map the directional buttons and those are needed for the apple TV. I'm hoping to find a shortcut to Bluetooth.
post #6745 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
To clarify, the ATV is connected to the Sony tv directly to HDMI 2 and the TV outputs audio to my Pioneer VSX90 receive via ARC. The receive won't pass HDR so I have to bypass it.
I can only get DD 5.1 when connecting directly to the 900F. When connecting the ATV to AVR, I'm able to get DD+ ATMOS.
post #6746 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post

Amazon stutters on pretty much every device I've ever used

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
I'm considering the 85/75x900f, couldn't I just bypass the Android UI for the most part by utilizing my Apple TV 4K?

It's what I did with the Vizio Smartcast, it was horrible, never used it, just used ATV4K
You can definitely do this, as long as ATV has the app you want.
post #6747 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Spencer View Post
Thanks, yeah I read a post somewhere from another 900F owner that something's not quite right with it in Dolby Vision world. Wondering if anyone else might be able to shed some light. Does anyone know if Sony is aware of this issue, and if there's been any discussion of a fix/update? It's really pretty egregious.
Many pages back there are some of us complaining about it.

IMO set gives much better look with SDR than DV and far brighter brighter to fight glare and consistently bright. Much less blooming too.

I truly appreciate Sony's upscaling in this regard, some 1080p SDR netflix streams look much better than 4K DV streams because the DV looks very off, dim and blooms a lot.

IMO later sets might give us more control with HDR and DV.. I think LG is doing baby steps towards these with their 2019 tweaks but IDK if you need professional gears for it.
post #6748 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Many pages back there are some of us complaining about it.

IMO set gives much better look with SDR than DV and far brighter brighter to fight glare and consistently bright. Much less blooming too.

I truly appreciate Sony's upscaling in this regard, some 1080p SDR netflix streams look much better than 4K DV streams because the DV looks very off, dim and blooms a lot.

IMO later sets might give us more control with HDR and DV.. I think LG is doing baby steps towards these with their 2019 tweaks but IDK if you need professional gears for it.
Thank you. I guess the best we can do for now is hope for a software update. Considering that I have the most current DV-capable Sony UHDTV and Sony disc player, you'd think they'd be on to it. Maybe I'll try a direct appeal to Sony.
post #6749 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I can only get DD 5.1 when connecting directly to the 900F. When connecting the ATV to AVR, I'm able to get DD+ ATMOS.
From Apple support site:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069

*Some sound bars and AV receivers support Dolby Atmos, but don’t support video formats like HDR10 and Dolby Vision. In this case, you can either plug your Apple TV 4K into the sound bar or AV receiver to play sound in Dolby Atmos. Or you can plug your Apple TV 4K into your television to watch video in HDR and Dolby Vision. To do both, you need a television or an AV receiver or sound bar that supports both Dolby Atmos and high-quality video formats. Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections.
Educated Idiot likes this.
post #6750 of 9712 Old 01-29-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
Has the latest firmware broken eARC (or just ARC) to receivers for anyone else? I've been an owner for a months now, running the 65" 900F via HDMI3/ARC to a Denon 4500h. I have HDMI Control set to On (which enables ARC) on the 4500h.

Ever since I did that, whenever I turn the TV on it powered on my 4500h and set it to TV Audio and automatically ran audio from the TV to the Denon. Since I updated to the latest Sony firmware (v6.5830) whenever I power on the TV it does not power on the Denon. I manually power the Denon on and no matter what input I select (TV Audio or CBL/SAT) it will not auto detect the ARC signal from the TV. When I manually select external audio from the TV it acknowledges the command, but no sound comes out of the Denon, and then a few seconds later it says No External Audio detected, switching to TV speakers. I've done a microprocessor reset of the Denon, and a hard reset of the TV (holding power down 5 seconds). I've unseated and reseated the HDMI cable. I'm using Certified Premium HDMI cables from Monoprice which have worked like a champ since I bought them.

Here's the weird thing. When I power OFF the TV...it powers off the Denon. So some signal is going from the TV to the Denon. But then when I power on the TV again, the Denon stays off. And when I power on the Denon, I can't get it (or the TV) to sense an audio signal.

Since I tried the soft reset, then the microprocessor reset on the Denon, and the hard power button 5 second reset on the Sony...I'm officially out of ideas. Thoughts? Anyone else have this happen after the recent firmware update?

EDIT: one more observation. It's clearly the volume/audio HDMI controls that don't get transferred from the TV to the Denon. I have my Oppo 203 connected to the Denon, which then sends the picture to the TV. When I press PAUSE/PLAY etc. on the Sony remote, that command is still transferred to the Oppo just like it always did pre-new firmware. But when I press Vol Up/Down, it's the TV vol that is affected, versus when everything worked, the Denon's volume would go up/down.
There is setting in TV to set Audio System priority. If it's ON then audio will switch to ARC whenever receiver is powered on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page