2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 231 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4429Likes

post #6901 of 9971 Old 02-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
With contrast you want nearly all the bars up to 255 to flash. 235 is video white but content is produced with levels higher than that. I have mine set to 90 which makes 254 just visible. I assume you’re using the AVS709 disc which states 235 or higher should not flash, this is false and you should ignore it
That's the same way I've set mine up and haven't been disappointed yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 9971 Old 02-02-2019, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6757 Post(s)
Liked: 6761
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
True. I have bought a couple sets that way in the past with good results but no more.

As I see it the problem is shipping a single set with a delivery service aka gorillas versus a factory pallet of sets going to a store.
I have gotten TV's delivered by local stores, they came single to me......I have been in different warehouses as well where they are stacked 5 high. You don't have to worry about then falling over from 5 high if they are single. Imagine a TV falling and hitting the long side, flat to the ground. No damage to the box but I bet the TV did not make it. Always taking risks......
post #6903 of 9971 Old 02-02-2019, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp1974 View Post
Hi everyone here I am again with a question quite basic. I tried to adjust brightness and contrast using standard patterns for reference black (bar 16) and white (bar 235). I was able to fix the black level but for the white it was impossible to reach 235. Even with contrast at max the last bar flashing is still 244. I thought it was a problem of my sony x900f and I went to best buy where I bought the tv and check the same pattern in another unit with the same response. I am annoyed about this Sony tvs behavior. And I am surprised that it is not reported in the reviews
Be aware

Brightness on the Sony means the backlight.

Black level is what is normally known in video circles as brightness. Sony is weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6904 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 12:34 AM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I believe I won the TV lottery in general over Christmas. I noticed a 65" 900F wall mounted in the open box section of the store, price tag 1295. Talked to a manager the set was missing it's remote and stand. As it was the day before Christmas he lowered the price to 999, I said hell yes see you in two days to pick it up.
I go back the day after Christmas and they wheel out a Sony box that had 900F written on it. My open box was supposed to come bubble wrapped. I'm thinking they may have had an accident while bubble wrapping my used TV because I went home with a brand spanking new 900F for $999!

I bought it for my wife and son to use in the living room so I could finally take the 55" A1E to my home office / man cave :-)

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #6905 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2081 Post(s)
Liked: 1939
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek78 View Post
I updated to Oreo.

Netflix DV is still dim and dull even after reducing brightness of SD mode
Movies Anywhere app looks great with HDR
I can't login into Vudu because the keyboard issue.
Try quick pressing the key when entering. If it switches to upper case/foreign, just back out reenter and continue. You won't have to retype, it will pick up where you last entered.
post #6906 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know if the 900f/9000f is compatible with the old Sony br100 wireless subwoofer?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
post #6907 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Big game coming up! I just purchased a 900F last week and I'm wondering what settings you folks recommend for football. I've messed around with the motion settings but I don't fully understand what everything does yet. I'll be streaming from the YouTube TV app downloaded from the PlayStore on the internal Android TV. Any pointers?

I've been lurking on this forum for the last couple weeks trying to decide between the Sony and a Samsung Q8 that caught my eye in the store. I'm coming from a 65-inch 900E that I bought last year and still love, but, having just bought our first house, my wife and I decided to go with a 75-inch for the bigger space and move the 900E to another room. I'm glad I went with Sony again, the picture on this TV is amazing! I'd probably have to try hard to get the game to look bad, but I figured I'd ask here for advice. Thanks!
post #6908 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcoluzzi32 View Post
I believe I won the TV lottery in general over Christmas. I noticed a 65" 900F wall mounted in the open box section of the store, price tag 1295. Talked to a manager the set was missing it's remote and stand. As it was the day before Christmas he lowered the price to 999, I said hell yes see you in two days to pick it up.
I go back the day after Christmas and they wheel out a Sony box that had 900F written on it. My open box was supposed to come bubble wrapped. I'm thinking they may have had an accident while bubble wrapping my used TV because I went home with a brand spanking new 900F for $999!

I bought it for my wife and son to use in the living room so I could finally take the 55" A1E to my home office / man cave :-)
Congrats! Super sick!
post #6909 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadouken View Post
Big game coming up! I just purchased a 900F last week and I'm wondering what settings you folks recommend for football. I've messed around with the motion settings but I don't fully understand what everything does yet. I'll be streaming from the YouTube TV app downloaded from the PlayStore on the internal Android TV. Any pointers?

I've been lurking on this forum for the last couple weeks trying to decide between the Sony and a Samsung Q8 that caught my eye in the store. I'm coming from a 65-inch 900E that I bought last year and still love, but, having just bought our first house, my wife and I decided to go with a 75-inch for the bigger space and move the 900E to another room. I'm glad I went with Sony again, the picture on this TV is amazing! I'd probably have to try hard to get the game to look bad, but I figured I'd ask here for advice. Thanks!
Why not watch via OTA?

I'd suggest starting with the Flat Panels settings located here.

There is a settings thread that you can try when you have some more time
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...gs-thread.html
post #6910 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 02:36 AM

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I'm most interested in figuring out what the motion settings do.

I "cut the cord" a couple years ago and mainly use TV for streaming shows, video games, and for watching physical Blu-ray/UHD discs. I don't think my digital satellite will pick up CBS where I'm at, but I'll give it a try if you think it'll be a better signal than streaming from YouTube TV. I'm brand new to that streaming service and I'm actually kind of just giving it a trial to see how much we'll use it since we don't watch cable or local channels very often after football season.

Thanks for the reply.
post #6911 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadouken View Post
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I'm most interested in figuring out what the motion settings do.

I "cut the cord" a couple years ago and mainly use TV for streaming shows, video games, and for watching physical Blu-ray/UHD discs. I don't think my digital satellite will pick up CBS where I'm at, but I'll give it a try if you think it'll be a better signal than streaming from YouTube TV. I'm brand new to that streaming service and I'm actually kind of just giving it a trial to see how much we'll use it since we don't watch cable or local channels very often after football season.

Thanks for the reply.
OTA is true cord cutting and will give you a better picture with less compression than the streaming services. If you have an antenna (not sure what you meant by 'digital satellite') give it a try, run your channel setup and see if you can pickup CBS. If you can't, Youtube TV is a fallback option. I've heard the YTTV picture quality is quite good (by streaming standards).

Here is a link (from the settings thread) to give more details on what each of the settings (including motion) do:

https://community.sony.de/t5/how-tos...d/ba-p/2413437
post #6912 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 03:11 AM

Yeah, I meant digital antenna, not satellite. Sorry, I'm falling asleep with my phone in my hands reading up on this stuff, lol. I'll check out more of those links you sent me tomorrow before the game. I'll have a few hours to tinker.

Thanks again!
post #6913 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thank you for your answers about the correct setting of the contrast. I have always used the AVS709 patterns to calibrate my different projectors and they looked great. So it seems that the actual tvs have moved their "white" higher than standard (bar 235) or rather 235 is not a correct reference point? I am confused. Thank you for your help!
post #6914 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 08:32 AM

I am not only confused but quite disappointed and annoyed about Sony'policy. I am wondering why as Sony tv owner I am not able to set the white at 235 since even with the contrast at 100 you're still up to 249. This is not fair and I would say not legal. I should be able to choose the settings of my tv. I understand that there are two options: the standard 235 and a different 'tendency ' which encourages 250 and more. Any other brands like Samsung LG TCL and on allow you to set the white at 235. Not with the Sony. I think I am going to return the tv. It's not fair. Sony should change it.
post #6915 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
OTA is true cord cutting and will give you a better picture with less compression than the streaming services. If you have an antenna (not sure what you meant by 'digital satellite') give it a try, run your channel setup and see if you can pickup CBS. If you can't, Youtube TV is a fallback option. I've heard the YTTV picture quality is quite good (by streaming standards).

Here is a link (from the settings thread) to give more details on what each of the settings (including motion) do:

OTA used to be less compression, due to sub channels the compression is really bad now. In my area PBS has 4 sub channels so does CBS , NBC and ABC. if one has 100 Mbps internet speed, there is no compression on streaming on 4K or 1080P. my cable service had terrible compression the reason i never used them have been Directv for almost 15 years now (since i bought 50 inch tv, compassion is very obvious). if you see compression issue on OTA it is not the TV, if on streaming it is the band width (try to use wired ethernet) due to interference the wireless throughput is also a big issue. use power line adapters if router is far away from TV. in my experience 50-100 Mbps on power-line ethernet is better than 200 Mbps wireless, as throughput on power line is very consistent. i never felt any degradation in 4K streaming using power line.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #6916 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
I am not only confused but quite disappointed and annoyed about Sony'policy. I am wondering why as Sony tv owner I am not able to set the white at 235 since even with the contrast at 100 you're still up to 249. This is not fair and I would say not legal. I should be able to choose the settings of my tv. I understand that there are two options: the standard 235 and a different 'tendency ' which encourages 250 and more. Any other brands like Samsung LG TCL and on allow you to set the white at 235. Not with the Sony. I think I am going to return the tv. It's not fair. Sony should change it.
Have you tried both with and without Auto local dimming? Under Video Options the three settings should be Auto. Just a few ideas.
post #6917 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Do you have correct "HDMI video range" selected? If you have "black level" set to anything other than 50 it may indicate wrong settings.
post #6918 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
OTA used to be less compression, due to sub channels the compression is really bad now. In my area PBS has 4 sub channels so does CBS , NBC and ABC. if one has 100 Mbps internet speed, there is no compression on streaming on 4K or 1080P. my cable service had terrible compression the reason i never used them have been Directv for almost 15 years now (since i bought 50 inch tv, compassion is very obvious). if you see compression issue on OTA it is not the TV, if on streaming it is the band width (try to use wired ethernet) due to interference the wireless throughput is also a big issue. use power line adapters if router is far away from TV. in my experience 50-100 Mbps on power-line ethernet is better than 200 Mbps wireless, as throughput on power line is very consistent. i never felt any degradation in 4K streaming using power line.
Totally my experience. The local CBS affiliate has added stations and the picture has gotten noticeably degraded over time. I use YTTV and I think it is nearly equivalent quality to the OTA feed I get. The thing I like most about YTTV is that you can watch it in a timeshare while traveling and it has the same DVR content and channels. Super convenient. They only make you login with the home area once every 90 days to ensure you keep access rights.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #6919 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 10:22 AM

I tried any possible way. All the features potentially impacting the contrast/white disabled. I went to Best Buy and they kindly let me check the patterns on another x900f and a x850 with the identical result: with contrast at max you could still see flashing bars at 244. We check a Samsung nu8000 and a LG oled and both of them reached quickly 235. My conclusion is the Sony tvs don't allow to set the white at the legal standard 235. A question for you all: do your x900f reach 235 in the setting of the white? Thank you very much. I think this is important
post #6920 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
[...]My conclusion is the Sony tvs don't allow to set the white at the legal standard 235. A question for you all: do your x900f reach 235 in the setting of the white? Thank you very much. I think this is important
Yes, of course, the white levels are correct for my X900F. As mentioned above, you probably have a mismatch in the HDMI video range settings between the TV and whatever you're using to play the test pattern (neither of which you've disclosed). That's a better conclusion than thinking you've discovered a basic error in this TV that was missed by every reviewer and owner for almost a year.

Last edited by spear; 02-03-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: language
post #6921 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 12:20 PM

I used a USB content to play the pattern. HDMI is set on standard content. Any command potentially interfering is disabled. I checked it out on another x900f yesterday and it was the same. I am driving crazy. Sorry. I fear that if I return my unit then it would be the same with another one! If you say that your white balance is perfectly set at 235 then I am starting to be worried
post #6922 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I think you are confused about what you are looking at. My X900F will show flashing bars up to almost 249 as well, this just means that the TV WILL be able to show up to 109% video level content, which is video information available from video cameras and even most cell phone video. It is also known as superwhite, although not legal to broadcast, personally viewed or created content is typically not broadcast. This is a GOOD thing, meaning your TV will not clip.

Quote:
I tried any possible way. All the features potentially impacting the contrast/white disabled. I went to Best Buy and they kindly let me check the patterns on another x900f and a x850 with the identical result: with contrast at max you could still see flashing bars at 244. We check a Samsung nu8000 and a LG oled and both of them reached quickly 235. My conclusion is the Sony tvs don't allow to set the white at the legal standard 235. A question for you all: do your x900f reach 235 in the setting of the white? Thank you very much. I think this is important
christoofar likes this.
post #6923 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 12:25 PM

As regards to the black level I was able to correctly fix it at 16 bar, actually by default settings
post #6924 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

HDR Local Dimming X-tended DR, Contrast testing

Please see this post in the X900F settings thread for video showing testing of the local Dimming, X-tended Dynamic Range, and Contrast settings for HDR content.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57545234

Paul
post #6925 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 03:40 PM

The point is that Sony doesn't allow you to choose whether to fix your white at 235 or not, just imposing a much higher level. I am surprised and a little annoyed. No HDR just SDR settings. Now I know that the much inferior Samsung NU8000 that I returned to get the X900f had a much better white balance.
post #6926 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looking for a little advice from you experts as i read through this thread but man ... too big to go through all the pages. I have a 65 LG UH9500 which is a good looking tv and LG's highest LED model at the time but im getting tired of the IPS panel with it's low contrast, greyish blacks, not to mention verticle banding, DSE and flashlighting. Watching hockey or football gets irritating as i cannot ignore it anymore. Im shopping for a new tv for the wife and started thinking as she doesn't notice all the issues with the LG and likes the picture,maybe im better off giving her the LG and get myself the 65x900F. Im ok staying with a 65 inch at 9ft away as the 75 inch is WAY more and to me is hard to justify such a difference for size alone.

Will the 900F be a big enough upgrade in terms of picture quality as i have the option to keep it and just buy a cheaper (and smaller) tv for the wife and save some $$ ? Im curious about the black levels in a dark room situation, if there's any noticeable DSE like on my LG and if the blooming issues that i read online are way over blown.

I don't game so its basically used with a cable box for sports, tv shows and movies.

Thanks in advance for any input.
post #6927 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

I know that many Sony BluRay player users were very upset they cannot get a fixed 245 out of their players, because when using one to play calibration patters, the 100% white patches are always too high a white value as you stated. Have you tested Standard or Custom with options off...I know that Cinema modes have a baked in highlight rolloff, which might be what you are seeing, while other modes are said to hard clip.

Paul

Quote:
The point is that Sony doesn't allow you to choose whether to fix your white at 235 or not, just imposing a much higher level. I am surprised and a little annoyed. No HDR just SDR settings. Now I know that the much inferior Samsung NU8000 that I returned to get the X900f had a much better white balance.
post #6928 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi-1 View Post
Looking for a little advice from you experts as i read through this thread but man ... too big to go through all the pages. I have a 65 LG UH9500 which is a good looking tv and LG's highest LED model at the time but im getting tired of the IPS panel with it's low contrast, greyish blacks, not to mention verticle banding, DSE and flashlighting. Watching hockey or football gets irritating as i cannot ignore it anymore. Im shopping for a new tv for the wife and started thinking as she doesn't notice all the issues with the LG and likes the picture,maybe im better off giving her the LG and get myself the 65x900F. Im ok staying with a 65 inch at 9ft away as the 75 inch is WAY more and to me is hard to justify such a difference for size alone.

Will the 900F be a big enough upgrade in terms of picture quality as i have the option to keep it and just buy a cheaper (and smaller) tv for the wife and save some $$ ? Im curious about the black levels in a dark room situation, if there's any noticeable DSE like on my LG and if the blooming issues that i read online are way over blown.

I don't game so its basically used with a cable box for sports, tv shows and movies.

Thanks in advance for any input.
hello go page 184 here you will need bias lightening to have nice black bar and less blooming , the post i made was at iso 800 on dslr camera so is less annoying in person , for dse banding i have the 75 and is not perfect on hockey for me let say 25 % of the time full ice view i could see very minimal banding , in movie i could not see it , in cartoon solid color almost not there you have to look for it to find it ,

the sony x1 extreme processor is very good for upscaling 1080 or 720 cable one of the best .

the 75 is more prone to dse banding than a 65 inch , i own a lot of tv and the sony is in the top 2 i own with oled for picture quality . for soccer and football i could not see it , the white is my problem and so minimal that i keep the tv , dont forget no tv are perfect .

Last edited by dwhitton1; 02-03-2019 at 08:08 PM.
post #6929 of 9971 Old 02-03-2019, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post

One thing to note about YouTube TV is that they have almost all of their channels up to 60fps at 720p now.

https://www-cordcuttersnews-com.cdn....ll-channels%2F

Not all devices support 60fps, but with locals squeezing more channels into their bandwidth YTTV is approaching broadcast quality.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #6930 of 9971 Old 02-04-2019, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Thank you for your answers about the correct setting of the contrast. I have always used the AVS709 patterns to calibrate my different projectors and they looked great. So it seems that the actual tvs have moved their "white" higher than standard (bar 235) or rather 235 is not a correct reference point? I am confused. Thank you for your help!

Yes I think you are confused. 235 is called reference white or video white, but you must understand that video content is usually mastered up to 255 as to not clip any of the shades in the upper video levels (cloud details for example). So you WANT your tv to be able to display as much of that video information as possible. You can reduce contrast to bring out that detail but you sacrifice overall picture brightness and introduce colour shift if you go too low. Set it to high - Max for example - and you will end up clipping out all that upper video detail. You have to find a happy median where it retains the picture brightness but does not clip.

The way I do it, bring up the contrast pluge pattern, put your contrast to max, then lower it one notch at a time until you can see nearly all of the bars up to 255 flashing ( it’s usually around 253-254 you can just get to flash) then stop there, that is your ideal contrast. On the x90f that seems to be around 90 contrast

I think you’re getting too caught up on 235 “reference white”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page