2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 240 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4354Likes

post #7171 of 9730 Old 02-10-2019, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
No regrets going to the 65" from my 10 yr old 52" LCD. Was constrained with the size due to my entertainment center but was able to squeeze it in with some minor modifications and wife approval. Great TV and great forum here for tips.
WOLVERNOLE and christoofar like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7172 of 9730 Old 02-10-2019, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb222 View Post
Anyone here have any regrets about their purchase? I'm thinking of doing 65in" upgrade soon.
No regrets. I went from a 8 year old 55" LG which I really love, to a 75" 900F. We absolutely love the 900F! Our viewing distance is right at 10' and consider this the perfect size screen. I am currently using CaptinCrunch's settings across the board and find them very appealing.
christoofar likes this.

Last edited by Realjohn; 02-10-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #7173 of 9730 Old 02-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since the update, I get a badge that says "Not connected for Ethernet" when I turn on the tv. It goes away after about 5 seconds. It never appeared prior to the upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7174 of 9730 Old 02-10-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2039 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
Since the update, I get a badge that says "Not connected for Ethernet" when I turn on the tv. It goes away after about 5 seconds. It never appeared prior to the upgrade.
Try a hard power reset (unplugging the TV for 3 minutes, then plugging it back in). If that doesn't help, try a factory reset. If that doesn't work, I'd then call Sony support
post #7175 of 9730 Old 02-10-2019, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6674 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
Quote:
Anyone here have any regrets about their purchase? I'm thinking of doing 65in" upgrade soon.
I regret the fact that sony does not make this in the 100" size, with that said, if Sony did make a XBR-100X900F, what do you think it would be priced at, $20,000? If they could sell those for $10,000 they would sell, I think....lol
post #7176 of 9730 Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick G View Post
Is there a consensus best Blu-ray player to pair with this TV? Preferably one with Dolby Vision support?
A lot of folks would say the Panasonic 820; msrp is $499. Has just about everything, incl, of course, Dolby Vision.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #7177 of 9730 Old 02-10-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Our son lives in Seattle. He said that his 900-F received a firmware update today and that he was really, really happy with it. He said the menu looked better and blacks looked better as well as uniformity. Anyone else notice their set looking better with a recent firmware update?
post #7178 of 9730 Old 02-10-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
A lot of folks would say the Panasonic 820; msrp is $499. Has just about everything, incl, of course, Dolby Vision.
Or hold out a bit for the Sony x800M2.
PlanetAVS likes this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #7179 of 9730 Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
yes what i think its a normal delay to wifi to connect , mine do the same thing .
_spasm_ likes this.
post #7180 of 9730 Old 02-10-2019, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I got the 85" and mounted it to the wall. Holy cow - it's awesome.

My regret? I shouldn't have updated the firmware. Audio out to AVR almost never works, so I have to turn the TV off and then back on to get it to work. Maybe they'll get it updated soon?
post #7181 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After the Oreo update, FandangoNow says UHD not supported when I try to play a UHD movie. Any ideas? Was working fine before the update and I tried resetting etc. Saw some x930e ppl with the same issue a while back.
post #7182 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm havig a little problem with my new 85 x900f. I have tried to change input labels and my wi fi password and just can't do it, after I have spelled out the letters the directions tell you to press the middle button im the center that looks like a cross hair but nothing happens. If I press the button twice it will add another letter or number.
Please help before I go crazy.
Really love the unit but the remote pretty much sucks.
post #7183 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
My only regret is that they only seem to make it up to 85 incher... With 98s on the horizon, I'm hoping for bigger next time...

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #7184 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyAnt View Post
Hi folks! I spent the last few weeks reading every page of this thread trying to stay up to date. Lots of great info!

I am a PC gamer but just purchased the Xbox One X to see what 4k gaming would look like on this TV. For those of you who are using the One X, is the general consensus to use the settings from Rtings for the Xbox when gaming? Or is their advice a bunch of junk on the topic? After all the reading I did, my brain can't remember what people are saying about it.

Thanks in advance!

It's best to not overthink it on the settings. Honestly, the colors look accurate using Expert 1 or Expert 2. You probably won't have to mess with much there. I usually have the Advanced Contrast set to High for gaming. It seems to really enhance brighter objects and add more dimension. On certain games, I might bump up the color from 50 (default) to maybe 60. Other than that, you can probably just use the Rtings settings. Make sure local dimming is set to High. I also have an Xbox One X, and my games look fantastic on this TV. There are so many different suggestions for settings, so the key is just playing around for a while and finding what you like. It's your TV, use it how YOU want to!
PhillyAnt likes this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #7185 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneroni View Post
After the Oreo update, FandangoNow says UHD not supported when I try to play a UHD movie. Any ideas? Was working fine before the update and I tried resetting etc. Saw some x930e ppl with the same issue a while back.
I'm having the same issue. I hope it gets resolved quickly.

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #7186 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorka View Post
So did the latest update break ARC? I will avoid it like the plague if updating means that my Onkyo won't turn on automatically when the x900f is power on.

Anything else broken with the update?
I'm having ARC issues. It turns on / off my receiver (Yamaha RX-V483) fine when I turn on / off the TV but I lose audio in apps (remote Home button) after the TV goes to sleep (YouTube, Amazon, Netflix, etc). If I go to Settings > About > Restart and restart it then audio is fine in apps until the TV goes to sleep again - you can also hold the power button on the remote for a hard restart. I'm not having this audio issue anywhere but with apps (cable box / blu-ray player / NVidia Shield are fine). I never had this problem until the 6.5830 update. I have reported this to Sony.
post #7187 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not sure if this has been discussed before, I have read a lot of this forum over the moths and cannot remember seeing it.

Does anyone have any experience using Google Play for movies using the internal app? I have an HD (non UHD version) of Blade Runner 2049 and noticed that my GP account says it was upgraded to 4K HDR so sure enough I checked and it showed that it was.

So I tried the movie on the TV using the internal app and it shows the HDR badge but when I look at the settings it is not automatically maxing out the brightness etc like it usually does for 4K HDR streams. It shows Brightness at the setting I use it at for SDR streaming. So I thought, maybe i just need to set it the first time and I will be good to go? So the I watched an SDR movie using GP app and it was suing the maxed out brightness settings I had just set for the "HDR" stream.

This issue reminds me of the one many of you have mentioned about the VUDU app and possibly the Youtube app where it states it is using HDR on the badge but it truly is not?

Thanks in advance for any experienced feedback. :-)

EDIT:

Reading Reddit forums online it appears that a possible workaround is to cast from your phone for both Google Play and Youtube in order to play 4K and HDR? I'll have to test this out when home but I have a feeling this has already been discussed by this well informed/helpful group. Seems like the aging Mediatek chip in these TVs may be a real bottleneck? Wonder if that has something to do with the Amazon choppiness too?

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.

Last edited by Educated Idiot; 02-11-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #7188 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 AM

One more thing I observed with my particular setup; on the topic of internal Amazon app stuttering.

I thought mine was fine, but then I watched an episode of The Expanse which is 4k (non HDR) and it would stutter and then be ok for a bit and then stutter randomly throughout the show. It was really pretty bad because it was stuttering at least as much as it wasn't making for a less than enjoyable experience.

I tried the same show on my TCL and it was completely fine. The TVs are both using Wifi to my network and the Sony is actually right next to the router so it should have a speed access advantage over the TCL which is across the house from the router. So it seems like the app or the TV has an issue with Amazon for sure to me anyway, but only with select programming? It then seemed completely fine watching Gymkhana Files (4k HDR) a few minutes later? Very strange with its inconsistency.

post #7189 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
You should be fine for the vast majority of content on HDMI 1 or 4. The only limitation would be on 60 FPS content but I don't believe there is much if any content on ATV 4K currently. Maybe some Youtube videos? @Cheddarhead anything to add?
I believe the Apple TV 4K defaults to 60fps unless you enable frame matching. That said I highly doubt any of the streamed content is at 4:4:4 so you are probably safe with Ports 1/4. If you play ripped movies from a NAS you might run into issues.

I don't own any Apple products so I am unable to do any testing.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #7190 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
My 75Z9D did that for about a week, then the notification went away. On my 900F, it never appeared after the set was updated (both TVs) via usb.

You might want to give it a few days before going through resets etc.
post #7191 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
2 weeks into ownership of my 85x900F. Love the PQ, particularly for sports. The Superbowl was amazing and watching some hockey and skiing/snowboarding events this weekend was a delight... way better motion clarity than the Samsung Q6fn I returned! Oh, the Xbox One X looks terrific as well!

One thing, I'm deathly afraid to do the OREO update after reading so many issues. People complaining about broken ARC and no longer able to turn on/off receiver from TV. Apparently the guide button has been remapped so that it only controls the guide on the STB vs the nifty and quick online guide app. And there's other complaints about broken HDR in Vudu and YouTube. Read a complaint about video/audio sync issues introduced with OREO and another complaint that TV controls are extra laggy now.

I'm probably spending way too much time reading stuff about it but all of this scares me. The thing is, I probably need to do the update while in my return window. That way if the TV bricks or I lose ARC or some other thing breaks that I can't live with, I can just exchange it while in my return window. But what scares me is that I have a near perfect panel, virtually no DSE at all. Honestly I'm happy with how the TV operates although I am interested in improving the DV in Netflix which I understand this update does. ALso, I like the idea of improved Android UI that comes with OREO.

What to do now? I have the auto update set to off. Should I update while I still have a chance to return if something goes wrong? Sony is dumb for not allowing people to rollback their firmware update back to original. PCs have been doing that since I don't know when, no reason why my "smart" TV shouldn't allow me to choose which Firmware I want to run!
post #7192 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
I'm having the same issue. I hope it gets resolved quickly.
Same here. Although I would suggest linking to Movies Anywhere and then viewing in the Vudu app instead, which supports Dolby Vision and ATMOS. Not sure if the Fandango app passes HDR or not either.
post #7193 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated Idiot View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed before, I have read a lot of this forum over the moths and cannot remember seeing it.

Does anyone have any experience using Google Play for movies using the internal app? I have an HD (non UHD version) of Blade Runner 2049 and noticed that my GP account says it was upgraded to 4K HDR so sure enough I checked and it showed that it was.

So I tried the movie on the TV using the internal app and it shows the HDR badge but when I look at the settings it is not automatically maxing out the brightness etc like it usually does for 4K HDR streams. It shows Brightness at the setting I use it at for SDR streaming. So I thought, maybe i just need to set it the first time and I will be good to go? So the I watched an SDR movie using GP app and it was suing the maxed out brightness settings I had just set for the "HDR" stream.

This issue reminds me of the one many of you have mentioned about the VUDU app and possibly the Youtube app where it states it is using HDR on the badge but it truly is not?

Thanks in advance for any experienced feedback. :-)

EDIT:

Reading Reddit forums online it appears that a possible workaround is to cast from your phone for both Google Play and Youtube in order to play 4K and HDR? I'll have to test this out when home but I have a feeling this has already been discussed by this well informed/helpful group. Seems like the aging Mediatek chip in these TVs may be a real bottleneck? Wonder if that has something to do with the Amazon choppiness too?
Google Play HDR is broken and is going to be addressed in a future firmware update. Workaround is to use an external device or link your account to MA and watch in another app like Vudu or Amazon
Educated Idiot likes this.
post #7194 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Same here. Although I would suggest linking to Movies Anywhere and then viewing in the Vudu app instead, which supports Dolby Vision and ATMOS. Not sure if the Fandango app passes HDR or not either.
I use the Vudu app for most movies but for some reason not all movies that I buy in 4k are 4k on both services. For example, I own ET and Groundhog Day in 4k but only Fandango Now lets me watch in 4k. There are a few that Vudu carries in 4k but doesn't show as 4k in Fandango Now either. I wish these companies were more consistent with the streaming offerings.

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #7195 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
2 weeks into ownership of my 85x900F. Love the PQ, particularly for sports. The Superbowl was amazing and watching some hockey and skiing/snowboarding events this weekend was a delight... way better motion clarity than the Samsung Q6fn I returned! Oh, the Xbox One X looks terrific as well!

One thing, I'm deathly afraid to do the OREO update after reading so many issues. People complaining about broken ARC and no longer able to turn on/off receiver from TV. Apparently the guide button has been remapped so that it only controls the guide on the STB vs the nifty and quick online guide app. And there's other complaints about broken HDR in Vudu and YouTube. Read a complaint about video/audio sync issues introduced with OREO and another complaint that TV controls are extra laggy now.

I'm probably spending way too much time reading stuff about it but all of this scares me. The thing is, I probably need to do the update while in my return window. That way if the TV bricks or I lose ARC or some other thing breaks that I can't live with, I can just exchange it while in my return window. But what scares me is that I have a near perfect panel, virtually no DSE at all. Honestly I'm happy with how the TV operates although I am interested in improving the DV in Netflix which I understand this update does. ALso, I like the idea of improved Android UI that comes with OREO.

What to do now? I have the auto update set to off. Should I update while I still have a chance to return if something goes wrong? Sony is dumb for not allowing people to rollback their firmware update back to original. PCs have been doing that since I don't know when, no reason why my "smart" TV shouldn't allow me to choose which Firmware I want to run!
I'd recommend waiting and let Sony fix the bugs. The Oreo update doesn't add anything significant to the UI, it just allows more customization. You can speed up the interface by following HDTVTest's video recommendations.

Most if not all the smart TV mfgs do not allow rollback of the firmware versions, fyi.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #7196 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
My 75Z9D did that for about a week, then the notification went away. On my 900F, it never appeared after the set was updated (both TVs) via usb.

You might want to give it a few days before going through resets etc.
Very little effort to do a hard power reset. Agreed on the factory reset though.
post #7197 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Google Play HDR is broken and is going to be addressed in a future firmware update. Workaround is to use an external device or link your account to MA and watch in another app like Vudu or Amazon
Thanks for the reply; I knew this was something you guys would be apprised of. I do in fact have all my accounts connected but in this particular instance, was trying to use GP since it upgraded a film to 4k HDR for which it shows as standard HD SDR in all my other app coices. It sounds like hopeful patience will be my answer for this one. I too am holding off on the Oreo update like you and many others have rightfully mentioned,: I do not want to break VUDU or possibly my ARC connection :-)

post #7198 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Interesting observations here regarding Sony’s Dolby Vision implementation on the 900F. I’ve only had mine up and running for 2 days, but early impressions are good. I haven’t found it to be lacking in brightness. Tonight I will do some comparisons on the same content with HDR10 and DV to see what the differences are. Early images are punchier than my 65A1E, but that set has Sony’s unique DV profile as well. I can try my best to compare it to my 55” LG C8 in the bedroom as well. What I can tell you is that DV on the 900F looks substantially better than HDR10 on the 75” Q9FN that this set replaced while watching Netflix content.

I will report back with my findings. Btw, I don’t have the Oreo update yet.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #7199 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated Idiot View Post
Thanks for the reply; I knew this was something you guys would be apprised of. I do in fact have all my accounts connected but in this particular instance, was trying to use GP since it upgraded a film to 4k HDR for which it shows as standard HD SDR in all my other app coices. It sounds like hopeful patience will be my answer for this one. I too am holding off on the Oreo update like you and many others have rightfully mentioned,: I do not want to break VUDU or possibly my ARC connection :-)
Vudu is fixed. ARC on the other hand is a YMMV gamble. ARC works fine for me and for some others, post OREO update.

Do you have any external streaming devices that have Google Play?
post #7200 of 9730 Old 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I'd recommend waiting and let Sony fix the bugs. The Oreo update doesn't add anything significant to the UI, it just allows more customization. You can speed up the interface by following HDTVTest's video recommendations.

Most if not all the smart TV mfgs do not allow rollback of the firmware versions, fyi.
Yeah, I'm in a holding pattern for the moment. I'm mostly interested in the DV fix for Netflix. Hoping they release another patch to address any bugs with this update.

Honestly my biggest fear is losing ARC functionality. Not being able to control my AV receiver is a deal killer for sure, and this seems to be a common complaint although doesn't affect everyone.

So here I wait, but the more I read the more fearful I get and like I said, I would prefer to do the update while in my return window in case of a doomsday scenario .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page