2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 260 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4464Likes

post #7771 of 10125 Old 03-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I'm sure the 85" has a tougher time with blooming due to the zones being spaced further apart than they are on the 75". But to say these sets are plagued with blooming is a misstatement to say the least.

When it comes to user tolerance, you are correct, some slight blooming in UHD content may be completely over looked by some, and drives other absolutely insane...lol.
fgsouza likes this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7772 of 10125 Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
I have the 85” also...r u able to share settings that minimize blooming on the 85”? Thanks
Pretty much any settings that limit light output will minimize the effects of blooming.

Try X-tended dynamic range off. This will help in a huge way, but also robs the image of specular highlight detail and overall punch. Far too much impact is lost imo. Give it a shot though, as you may feel differently.

If there was a perfect compromise, I would still have an 85X900F.
fgsouza and asharma like this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #7773 of 10125 Old 03-10-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Pretty much any settings that limit light output will minimize the effects of blooming.

Try X-tended dynamic range off. This will help in a huge way, but also robs the image of specular highlight detail and overall punch. Far too much impact is lost imo. Give it a shot though, as you may feel differently.

Thanks, fortunately I bought this tv first for hockey ( exceptional screen uniformity and motion blur reduction) and HDR HT second...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7774 of 10125 Old 03-10-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
I'm sure the 85" has a tougher time with blooming due to the zones being spaced further apart than they are on the 75". But to say these sets are plagued with blooming is a misstatement to say the least.

When it comes to user tolerance, you are correct, some slight blooming in UHD content may be completely over looked by some, and drives other absolutely insane...lol.
Don’t take my word for it. It has been stated by countless reviews and owners for the past year.

The question is whether or not you can tolerate it. As it turns out, I could not. YMMV

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #7775 of 10125 Old 03-10-2019, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Any word on Sony regarding fixing their Oreo update? Surely a month in we should have had an update by now? Very disappointing from Sony especially when their customer service teams don't give an answer on this. Haven't seen any Forbes article about this like the Dolby Vision update which also caused issues and Sony had to delay it, could've sworn it was fixed within a couple of weeks..not sure why Sony are struggling with software updates so much!
post #7776 of 10125 Old 03-10-2019, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6792 Post(s)
Liked: 6794
Quote:
I’ve been toying around with the idea of a clearance priced C8, but I’d have to wait a little longer as the exorbitant prices here in Canada are still a tough pill to swallow.
Prices are usually higher up their, however I bought a Yamaha Dirt bike, YZ250 for alot less in Canada compared to the US......

Quote:

I’m considering a 75” Z9D mainly because of the burn in risk of OLED.
LED's can get a stuck image but it is rare.......
post #7777 of 10125 Old 03-10-2019, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The blooming on my 55 inch is absolutely awful. There is no way it could ever be referred to as “slight”. It’s far worse than my x900e was as well as the 3 TCL P Series’ I returned. My Medialight Quad turned up to 100% doesn’t mask it. I often turn off HDR on my Apple TV4k because of how distracting it is. The only thing that helps is using BFI and not using xtended dynamic range which basically neuters the HDR effect. It’s the reason my next tv (hopefully soon) will be an OLED. Everything else on the set is excellent and I’m very happy with it, but HDR film content in a dark room just isn’t a great experience for me unless there is no black bars. Video games are stunning in HDR, though.

/rant
BRAC likes this.
post #7778 of 10125 Old 03-10-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Still loving the 85900F bought last year. Incredible set. All the big babies whining about the blooming. You bought the wrong tv knowing it exists. Nature of the tech. You should have got an OLED instead with the risk of burn in if it’s worth it to you. The minor blooming on my set I can deal with. Still a solid 9/10 bang for the buck and performance wise.
post #7779 of 10125 Old 03-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

On my calibrated settings, peak luminance at 100% comes in at 550nit. Activating Local Dimming High and Xtended Medium increases peak luminance to 800nit. I didn't see XDR increasing the shadows much, at 50% it was up maybe 10nit from calibrated 95nit. In HDR land, XDR would normally rob the image of highlight detail, as it sort of overcranks the brightness blowing out the uppers somewhat...look at clouds as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
LED's can get a stuck image but it is rare.......
My 2015 Samsung JU7100 LED would get image retention for 10 minutes from simply pausing Netflix HDR, where the pause screen is static and has text. I would LOVE a top end LG OLED, I can afford it, but I refuse to get burn in and go through a $3000 TV every year...that's just insane.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #7780 of 10125 Old 03-10-2019, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
On my calibrated settings, peak luminance at 100% comes in at 550nit. Activating Local Dimming High and Xtended Medium increases peak luminance to 800nit. I didn't see XDR increasing the shadows much, at 50% it was up maybe 10nit from calibrated 95nit. In HDR land, XDR would normally rob the image of highlight detail, as it sort of overcranks the brightness blowing out the uppers somewhat...look at clouds as an example.

My 2015 Samsung JU7100 LED would get image retention for 10 minutes from simply pausing Netflix HDR, where the pause screen is static and has text. I would LOVE a top end LG OLED, I can afford it, but I refuse to get burn in and go through a $3000 TV every year...that's just insane.

Paul
Hey Ander,

I have used your calibrated settings which worked a treat for both my SDR and HDR viewing of movies/TV Shows (and HDR gaming - brilliant!) but I want to refer to one of your points about XDR at Medium as setting this to High caused Peak lumiance to drop? or drop off?

Is this due to the dimming being too aggressive or potentially a flaw in Sony's backlight system on the 900f? I am one of few (very few, judging from various forums and websites!) that doesn't see the blooming at all.

Cheers for any answer you have!
post #7781 of 10125 Old 03-11-2019, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 281
When I switch XDR to high, the midrange gamma increases too high, the peak luminance is reached at 80%, and drops 20-30nit by 100%. The peak luminance of 800nit is still a ceiling, you won't get more brightness out of your HDR by going to high on XDR, only weird inverted specular highlight traits.

As for local dimming, you really want to keep it on HIGH for HDR, because off is 0.150cd/m, and very increase in dimming drops that lower and lower.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hewett-long View Post
Hey Ander,

I have used your calibrated settings which worked a treat for both my SDR and HDR viewing of movies/TV Shows (and HDR gaming - brilliant!) but I want to refer to one of your points about XDR at Medium as setting this to High caused Peak lumiance to drop? or drop off?

Is this due to the dimming being too aggressive or potentially a flaw in Sony's backlight system on the 900f? I am one of few (very few, judging from various forums and websites!) that doesn't see the blooming at all.

Cheers for any answer you have!
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #7782 of 10125 Old 03-11-2019, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The only annoying blooming I find is around subtitles on dark scenes. In my media player I changed subtitle color from white to light gray and applied thick border - problem almost completely solved. Local dimming on "medium". Cannot use the same method for cable and streaming, but what can you do...

PS4 Pro
post #7783 of 10125 Old 03-11-2019, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
For all the "Bloomers" out there - I just don't see it. Either on my Sony 900E or Sony 900F. Maybe I'm immune to the visual effect or my settings are different but I just don't see any with my Sony sets no matter what I watch.

If you go the OLED route, you'll never get the price performance versus the Sony LCD, size wise, and you'll open yourself up to a total new can of worms like banding, tint and motion issues. But if you are that affected by "Blooming" - - maybe plasma is your answer? I'm glad I don't see it.
I have a 55 900E and a 75 900F and don’t notice any blooming either. I do use bias lighting on the 75 though.
fgsouza likes this.

DISPLAYS - Sony XBR-75X900F, Sony XBR-55X900E, Samsung 55 KU6500
AVR - Denon X4400h, Audiosource, 7.2.4, Sony X9000f soundbar
SPEAKERS - Athena Audition Series 7.1 speakers, 4 ceiling mounted Polk Audio OWM3, BIC F12 subwoofer
SOURCE - HTPC, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Apple 4K Tv, Roku Ultra, Nvidia Shield Tv
post #7784 of 10125 Old 03-11-2019, 06:43 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 363 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Mine is a new 950G but if anyone has had experience with these TVs using tons of data while powered off, please see my post here - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57727178

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #7785 of 10125 Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Thanks, fortunately I bought this tv first for hockey ( exceptional screen uniformity and motion blur reduction) and HDR HT second...

Yes, indeed. Hockey is a real treat on the Sony 900F. No banding and excellent motion. If you get the chance to watch a NHL network hockey broadcast via OTA at 1080i - - it's incredible. Less compression and super rich colors.
asharma likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #7786 of 10125 Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
For all the "Bloomers" out there - I just don't see it. Either on my Sony 900E or Sony 900F. Maybe I'm immune to the visual effect or my settings are different but I just don't see any with my Sony sets no matter what I watch.

If you go the OLED route, you'll never get the price performance versus the Sony LCD, size wise, and you'll open yourself up to a total new can of worms \\\\\\like banding, tint and motion issues. But if you are that affected by "Blooming" - - maybe plasma is your answer? I'm glad I don't see it.

I agree with you, I have a 900 e and I don't notice any blooming either. My viewing room has no windows and very little lighting. I am using subacabra settings which look great. The screen uniformity is great, no banding or DSE when watching sports. My opinion the 900 e and now the improved 900f offer you the best bang for your buck. No doubt you can pay double the money and get a samsung q9 which no doubt has better picture quality and better blacks. However this tv has other issues such as poor screen uniformity especially at the center of the screen, and samsung still cant match the motion processing of sony. My friend is in the market for 75 inch tv, been trying to talk him into getting sony 900f but he has his mind set on the samsung q8. (He is a samsung groupy)

Just curious, since you have both, is the picture quality that much better on the 900f than the e?
post #7787 of 10125 Old 03-11-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
Still loving the 85900F bought last year. Incredible set. All the big babies whining about the blooming. You bought the wrong tv knowing it exists. Nature of the tech. You should have got an OLED instead with the risk of burn in if it’s worth it to you. The minor blooming on my set I can deal with. Still a solid 9/10 bang for the buck and performance wise.
30 day return window ftw. Nothing beats an in home trial. Now I know my level of tolerance for blooming.

No whining and no stress here.
CaptinCrunch likes this.

post #7788 of 10125 Old 03-11-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
30 day return window ftw. Nothing beats an in home trial. Now I know my level of tolerance for blooming.

No whining and no stress here. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Tolerance is subjective. No set is the same as one set might have it bad and the other minimal. I won the panel lottery when I got mine. I guess you will never know if you don’t try for another replacement. Best of luck either way. The panel lottery is real sadly.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #7789 of 10125 Old 03-11-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
Quote:

If you go the OLED route, you'll never get the price performance versus the Sony LCD, size wise, and you'll open yourself up to a total new can of worms \\\\\\like banding, tint and motion issues. But if you are that affected by "Blooming" - - maybe plasma is your answer? I'm glad I don't see it.

I agree with you, I have a 900 e and I don't notice any blooming either. My viewing room has no windows and very little lighting. I am using subacabra settings which look great. The screen uniformity is great, no banding or DSE when watching sports. My opinion the 900 e and now the improved 900f offer you the best bang for your buck. No doubt you can pay double the money and get a samsung q9 which no doubt has better picture quality and better blacks. However this tv has other issues such as poor screen uniformity especially at the center of the screen, and samsung still cant match the motion processing of sony. My friend is in the market for 75 inch tv, been trying to talk him into getting sony 900f but he has his mind set on the samsung q8. (He is a samsung groupy)

Just curious, since you have both, is the picture quality that much better on the 900f than the e?
I have both the 75 900E and 85 900F. The PQ is better with the 900F no doubt about it and better motion.
fgsouza likes this.
post #7790 of 10125 Old 03-12-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No whining and no stress here.

Please keep us posted in this thread on your TV search. Especially if you pick up a large size "OLED." I'm very interested in hearing your comments about the trade offs - banding, tinting and motion issues with OLED versus LCD. And, how well it upscales your plain old 720p or 1080i content - - if you do have Rogers Cable or a satellite provider.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #7791 of 10125 Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The rtings review for the X950G just landed. Same Mixed Usage Score as the X900F, but the 950G does get a bit brighter: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g
fgsouza and naustin like this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #7792 of 10125 Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well I upgraded from a budget LG UJ6300 to this and it's amazing. Got it all setup and wall mounted. I was checking out the speakers and vents and noticed a missing screw in the bezel. Nothing that affects functionality just bugs me with my ocd and cost of the tv. Sony support to me to contact the store I bought it from. Not going to waste my time returning it for a missing screw.
post #7793 of 10125 Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhall2018 View Post
Well I upgraded from a budget LG UJ6300 to this and it's amazing. Got it all setup and wall mounted. I was checking out the speakers and vents and noticed a missing screw in the bezel. Nothing that affects functionality just bugs me with my ocd and cost of the tv. Sony support to me to contact the store I bought it from. Not going to waste my time returning it for a missing screw.

I think you should, at least, get a $100 refund or $100 in Sony Movies AND the screw in question "FedEx'd" to your home.
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Home Theater Setup
post #7794 of 10125 Old 03-12-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
The rtings review for the X950G just landed. Same Mixed Usage Score as the X900F, but the 950G does get a bit brighter: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g
Here's a comment from the Rting's 950G review that might be useful to some 900F owners...

If you find HDR content too dim, you can raise the Contrast and Gamma to your liking. If it is still too dim, increase the Contrast Enhancer setting to your liking.
post #7795 of 10125 Old 03-12-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Here's a comment from the Rting's 950G review that might be useful to some 900F owners...

If you find HDR content too dim, you can raise the Contrast and Gamma to your liking. If it is still too dim, increase the Contrast Enhancer setting to your liking.

Interesting... They don't mention anything about these options degrading the picture quality in any way, so maybe it's ok to increase the gamma? I know for most TVs, it's not recommended that you increase gamma much.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #7796 of 10125 Old 03-12-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlu View Post
Hi
I am new here. I have a Sony 55 X900F. I have a problem and i want to ask you.
Under the top bar, i have a some light blending. But i can't see that black screen or blue screen or green screen. Some grey screen maybe.
What ıs that? Is this a problem?

ps: Sorry for my bad english.
yes not normal
si tu parle francais
pas normal , place un ecran blanc ce sera plus lumineux dans la bande du haut .
post #7797 of 10125 Old 03-13-2019, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone use a soundbar and notices a “volume lag”? When I press volume up or down (or mute), there’s a noticeable
sluggishness with the display of the volume on the tv and the audio change. It’s like it’s sticking a bit as opposed to being instantaneous. I’ve seen this mentioned now a few times in other forums and Sony tvs seem to be the thing they have in common. I’m just wondering if this is an isolated problem or others here are experiencing it too.
post #7798 of 10125 Old 03-13-2019, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
Does anyone use a soundbar and notices a “volume lag”? When I press volume up or down (or mute), there’s a noticeable
sluggishness with the display of the volume on the tv and the audio change. It’s like it’s sticking a bit as opposed to being instantaneous. I’ve seen this mentioned now a few times in other forums and Sony tvs seem to be the thing they have in common. I’m just wondering if this is an isolated problem or others here are experiencing it too.
That seems common among Soundbars and ARC connections possibly? I don't use a soundbar with my Sony and it has near instant volume changes through a receiver but even that is not perfect (the volume changes faster than the onscreen graphic of the volume changing). I do have noticeable lag using a soundbar with my TCL TV through ARC though. I will hit the volume button several times before it even registers on the screen. It also seems to lag most when everything is first turned on and gets a little better after everything is "warmed up" if that even makes sense.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #7799 of 10125 Old 03-13-2019, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
Interesting... They don't mention anything about these options degrading the picture quality in any way, so maybe it's ok to increase the gamma? I know for most TVs, it's not recommended that you increase gamma much.
Interesting? more like funny! Brightness and Contrast are maxed by default for DV, and Gamma usually is 0 by default. It has already been stated that raising the gamma will brighten the image for DV, and wont change the color profile. As for Contrast Enhancer being used, IMO that's just over processing the image which I think looks like crap.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #7800 of 10125 Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Interesting? more like funny! Brightness and Contrast are maxed by default for DV, and Gamma usually is 0 by default. It has already been stated that raising the gamma will brighten the image for DV, and wont change the color profile. As for Contrast Enhancer being used, IMO that's just over processing the image which I think looks like crap.

I actually like the Contrast Enhancer for video games. It seems to give a little more depth to the image. Good to know about the gamma for HDR/DV.
fgsouza likes this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page