2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4348Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7831 of 9707 Old 03-13-2019, 05:27 PM
Member
 
Duckbacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sherwood OR
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I just placed an order for the 85X900F with Chris at Cleveland Plasma. It will be good to be back in the Sony game once again. I have had several good years with my 75X940D and am looking forward to many more with the newer and larger model.
Swoosh830 likes this.

Sony XBR-85X900F 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV; Denon AVR-X8500H (Dolby Atmos 7.2.6/DTS:X 7.2.4/Auro-3D 13.2); Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Amplifier; SVS Ultra Towers; SVS Ultra Center Channel; (4) SVS Ultra Surround Speakers; (12) SVS Prime Elevations for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D; Dual SVS SB16-Ultra Subwoofers w/SVS Soundpath Isolation System; Auralex Subdude II Isolation Pads; Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray Player; Panamax M5400 Power Conditioner
Duckbacker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7832 of 9707 Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
iserum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy-2 View Post
I am in the same situation. I am replacing a Panasonic 65” ST50 plasma with a 75” 900F which is being delivered by Fry’s on Saturday.

It’s a trade off of almost perfect 1080P picture & dark blacks of my plasma with 4K, HDR & Dolby Vision, but w/compromises (dark corners & potential blooming) o the 900F. I am hoping I won’t notice once I get everything “dialed in” but won’t know until it is mounted. I did order bias lighting which I think will help.

I’m done with with worrying about burn-in, so OLED is out for me.
Hue play lights in back of tv will help with issues you’re concerned with, I came from ST 60 plasma also , 4K resolution on 900f will make you forget plasma very quickly.
Swoosh830 likes this.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
iserum is offline  
post #7833 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 03:36 AM
Member
 
Alan Lackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckbacker View Post
I just placed an order for the 85X900F with Chris at Cleveland Plasma. It will be good to be back in the Sony game once again. I have had several good years with my 75X940D and am looking forward to many more with the newer and larger model.
Interesting...I emailed him this weekend asking for a quote on the 85X900F and never heard back so purchased somewhere else.
Alan Lackey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7834 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 AM
Member
 
poormxdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
900F with Yamaha ATS-1070 Soundbar

Folks,
I haven't posted here in a while. I just swapped out my 50" Pioneer plasma for a 900F. I do love it, but I'm also still learning. There are just too many posts to go through, so I wanted to ask these questions now.
I was not really impressed with the sound from the 900F's onboard speakers, so I purchased a refurbed Yamaha ATS-1070 via Amazon Prime. It was priced right and an easy return if it didn't make a difference. I'm astounded how much better the 1070 sounds.
However, even though I have it hooked up via ARC per the Yammy instructions, I cannot get the TV remote to work the 1070s volume. I've tried multiple settings on the soundbar with no luck. Is there something I might be missing in the settings on the 900F?
Also, I "assumed" that Netflix out of the 900F itself would play on the soundbar via ARC. It does not. I hooked up the optical cable and it sounds great, but it requires using the 1070's remote to switch inputs and adjust volume.
BOTH those issues will be frowned upon by the wife unit. I need to make this as simple as possible for her.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
poormxdad
poormxdad is offline  
post #7835 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormxdad View Post
Folks,
I haven't posted here in a while. I just swapped out my 50" Pioneer plasma for a 900F. I do love it, but I'm also still learning. There are just too many posts to go through, so I wanted to ask these questions now.
I was not really impressed with the sound from the 900F's onboard speakers, so I purchased a refurbed Yamaha ATS-1070 via Amazon Prime. It was priced right and an easy return if it didn't make a difference. I'm astounded how much better the 1070 sounds.
However, even though I have it hooked up via ARC per the Yammy instructions, I cannot get the TV remote to work the 1070s volume. I've tried multiple settings on the soundbar with no luck. Is there something I might be missing in the settings on the 900F?
Also, I "assumed" that Netflix out of the 900F itself would play on the soundbar via ARC. It does not. I hooked up the optical cable and it sounds great, but it requires using the 1070's remote to switch inputs and adjust volume.
BOTH those issues will be frowned upon by the wife unit. I need to make this as simple as possible for her.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
poormxdad

Do other sources (besides Netflix) work over the ARC? Are you connected to HDMI 3 on the TV for ARC? Did you turn on HDMI control for HDMI 3 on the television? Do you have HDMI control on for the receiver?
Coercion Shaman is offline  
post #7836 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 07:27 AM
Member
 
poormxdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have not tried other sources within the TV menu. I'll do that this evening.
Yes, HDMI 3 on the TV for ARC. Cable box to the HDMI Input on the soundbar, then HDMI out to the HDMI 3 on the 900F.
When I'm watching HDMI 3 and go to the Settings Menu on the TV to turn on HDMI control, I need to first "Find" the component. The 900F "finds" the Sony 4K Player which is hooked into HDMI 2. It never "finds" the soundbar, which I'm certain is my problem now that you bring it up.
poormxdad is offline  
post #7837 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RickD1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 1129
Do you turn the cable box off when trying to use the TV apps sound via ARC?

Spoiler!
RickD1225 is offline  
post #7838 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,527
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6661 Post(s)
Liked: 6644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I understand that you sell TV's but I do not know why OLED is continually referred to as more of a "quality" and better technology with all the banding, tinting and motion problems OLED has. And the price of larger OLED sets versus LCD is still out of whack. I'm all for technology improvements and if you are happy with your TV set, no matter what brand or technology - - then great. That's what really counts.
To each there own as you noted, I love all flat panels When you talk about banding, tinting, and motion, LED's have the same issues...even plasma's way back when had tinting issues but no banding or motion problems on those. Pick your poision, nothing is perfect..... You are right, OLED are expensive in the bigger sizes.....
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #7839 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,344
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormxdad View Post
I have not tried other sources within the TV menu. I'll do that this evening.
Yes, HDMI 3 on the TV for ARC. Cable box to the HDMI Input on the soundbar, then HDMI out to the HDMI 3 on the 900F.
When I'm watching HDMI 3 and go to the Settings Menu on the TV to turn on HDMI control, I need to first "Find" the component. The 900F "finds" the Sony 4K Player which is hooked into HDMI 2. It never "finds" the soundbar, which I'm certain is my problem now that you bring it up.
Do you have a newer, 4K Cable Box? Just thinking out loud, here, but can you run (HDMI 2 - 900F - Sony 4K Player) (HDMI 3 - 900F - straight HDMI cable to your Soundbar) and then (HDMI 4 - 900F - Cable Box). Does your Soundbar have separate HDMI Inputs (Soundbar make/model as well as Sony 4K Bluray Player make/model?)

Uncompressed audio would be the optimal goal for your Sony 4K Player but soundbars have limitations on what they can handle, audio wise. They can be somewhat "funky" to setup with ARC, as well.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 03-14-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #7840 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 08:35 AM
Member
 
poormxdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The soundbar is a Yamaha ATS-1070. It was in the title of my first post, but I should have carried that over in the rest of the threads.
The 1070 does have a separate HDMI input and output, and I followed the instructions as to hooking it up to the cable box. The Cox cable box is not 4k.
The Sony 800 4k disc player is only hooked up to the home theater system (Onkyo 805, HSU sub, Thiel CS 1.2s, Thiel SCS, PSB surrounds) and 900F, so it is not part of my soundbar problem.


I hooked up the soundbar to my HSU subwoofer. Better than good enough sound from "The Mummy" on Netflix. That combo provides most of what I need to watch auto racing, hockey, old movies, Netflix, etc., without the need to turn on the full home theater. If possible, I want the soundbar to come on when the 900F is turned on and work its magic with no needed wife inputs when watching cable or using the internal choices from the 900F itself, like Netflix. If that's a bridge too far, I'll do some training. But right now, there's another remote for her to reach for...


I believe I need to run that initial setup wizard thingy on the 900F again.

Last edited by poormxdad; 03-14-2019 at 08:55 AM.
poormxdad is offline  
post #7841 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 09:23 AM
Member
 
AleStrife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

I usually set (in HDR) Local Dimming to High and X-Tended Dynamic Range to Low.
In x-Tendend D.R. menu option it writes : 'Adjust peak luminance for the brightest whites AND BLACKEST BLACKS'.
So..the Dynamic Range option gives better blacks on HDR?
I ask because i usually noticed a 'bright' black levels in HDR despite SDR..
I know that 'it's a LCD tv',but for example in SDR blacks are good enought in my opinion.
If i set x-Tended to High it could give better blacks with HDR?
AleStrife is offline  
post #7842 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,344
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormxdad View Post
The soundbar is a Yamaha ATS-1070. It was in the title of my first post, but I should have carried that over in the rest of the threads.
The 1070 does have a separate HDMI input and output, and I followed the instructions as to hooking it up to the cable box. The Cox cable box is not 4k.
The Sony 800 4k disc player is only hooked up to the home theater system (Onkyo 805, HSU sub, Thiel CS 1.2s, Thiel SCS, PSB surrounds) and 900F, so it is not part of my soundbar problem.

I hooked up the soundbar to my HSU subwoofer. Better than good enough sound from "The Mummy" on Netflix. That combo provides most of what I need to watch auto racing, hockey, old movies, Netflix, etc., without the need to turn on the full home theater. If possible, I want the soundbar to come on when the 900F is turned on and work its magic with no needed wife inputs when watching cable or using the internal choices from the 900F itself, like Netflix. If that's a bridge too far, I'll do some training. But right now, there's another remote for her to reach for...

I believe I need to run that initial setup wizard thingy on the 900F again.
***After looking at your setup, your AVR is not ARC compatible and that is not an option. I also assume that you do not want audio from your Onkyo 805 for cable TV. In that case and looking at the limitations of the ATS-1070, in terms of audio capability, I'd forget ARC and just go with a simple optical connection (max 5.1) for your soundbar.

So the configuration would be HDMI 2 "In" - Sony 900F (your Sony 4K Bluray Player with separate audio from player "Out" to AVR "In" - the only time you use your AVR and speakers?) and Cable box HDMI "out" to Sony 900F HDMI 3 "In" with Optical "Out" from Sony 900F TV to your soundbar. Then, turn ARC off.

Optical is limited to 5.1 but in your case, since you are not using your AVR for Cable audio and are using your soundbar that has DTS Digital Surround (7.1 - no need as your cable audio will be 5.1, at best) and DTS Virtual X (internal sound processing from Yamaha with a 5.1 signal) - - I'd keep it as simple and bulletproof as possible. Make sure your TV boots up on HDMI 3 (which it should with your cable box connected) and then your soundbar should operate flawlessly with the optical connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha ATS-1070.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2538904  

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #7843 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 09:48 AM
Member
 
poormxdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***In that case and looking at the limitations of the ATS-1070, in terms of audio capability, I'd forget ARC and just go with a simple optical connection (max 5.1) for your soundbar.

So the configuration would be HDMI 2 "In" - Sony 900F (your Sony 4K Bluray Player with separate audio from player "Out" to AVR "In" - the only time you use your AVR and speakers?) and Cable box HDMI "out" to Sony 900F HDMI 3 "In" with Optical "Out" from Sony 900F TV to your soundbar. Then, turn ARC off.
Sir,
I appreciate your time and advice. I'll give all that a shot his evening and report back.
One more thing... "turn ARC off" where? The soundbar?
Thanks much,
poormxdad is offline  
post #7844 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,344
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormxdad View Post
Sir,
I appreciate your time and advice. I'll give all that a shot his evening and report back.
One more thing... "turn ARC off" where? The soundbar?
Thanks much,

My mistake, sorry - - you shouldn't have to turn ARC off. Let us know how it works.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #7845 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***After looking at your setup, your AVR is not ARC compatible and that is not an option.

You beat me to it. Was looking it up as well.
Coercion Shaman is offline  
post #7846 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Member
 
-griffy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleStrife View Post
I usually set (in HDR) Local Dimming to High and X-Tended Dynamic Range to Low.
In x-Tendend D.R. menu option it writes : 'Adjust peak luminance for the brightest whites AND BLACKEST BLACKS'.
So..the Dynamic Range option gives better blacks on HDR?
I ask because i usually noticed a 'bright' black levels in HDR despite SDR..
I know that 'it's a LCD tv',but for example in SDR blacks are good enought in my opinion.
If i set x-Tended to High it could give better blacks with HDR?
X-tended Dynamic range should be set to high for HDR/Dolby Vision content. That's the only way to get the full dynamic range the set is capable of for HDR content. The proper setting to see correct HDR/Dolby Vision is high.

For SDR it's a different story, X-tended Dynamic Range will increase the dynamic range of SDR content to create a faux-HDR effect, but most people tend not to like that as it tends to mess up the SDR colors and make things look weird. The proper setting for correct SDR is off.
-griffy- is offline  
post #7847 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
mhyatt5871's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleStrife View Post
I usually set (in HDR) Local Dimming to High and X-Tended Dynamic Range to Low.
In x-Tendend D.R. menu option it writes : 'Adjust peak luminance for the brightest whites AND BLACKEST BLACKS'.
So..the Dynamic Range option gives better blacks on HDR?
I ask because i usually noticed a 'bright' black levels in HDR despite SDR..
I know that 'it's a LCD tv',but for example in SDR blacks are good enought in my opinion.
If i set x-Tended to High it could give better blacks with HDR?

Blooming becomes more apparent when Xtended Dynamic Range is set to 'High'. I would advise against it, unless blooming doesn't bother you.
Swoosh830 likes this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
mhyatt5871 is offline  
post #7848 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 AM
Member
 
AleStrife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
Blooming becomes more apparent when Xtended Dynamic Range is set to 'High'. I would advise against it, unless blooming doesn't bother you.


Blooming doesn't bother me.
But i want to know if with XDR high i can have better blacks in HDR.
AleStrife is offline  
post #7849 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
mhyatt5871's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleStrife View Post
Blooming doesn't bother me.
But i want to know if with XDR high i can have better blacks in HDR.

Based on my experience, no, because any lighter objects adjacent will bleed into them.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
mhyatt5871 is offline  
post #7850 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,344
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
You beat me to it. Was looking it up as well.
On the positive side, when the OP upgrades his AVR to a full, blown, Dolby Atmos setup, complete with a 7.1.4 setup (or greater) - he can take the soundbar to their bedroom and blast out everyone in the house with the new system. Ah yes, the WAF factor. My 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos system with Front Wides, as well, is in my man cave. Still - - it's a rare occasion that I get to crank it up unless Mama is out of the house or we are watching a movie together. I had to laugh though. We were at our friends house for dinner and we started to watch a movie and she complained that she couldn't hear the audio very well and that in our house, sound is "all around you." I guess she can tell the difference!
Coercion Shaman likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #7851 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,482
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormxdad View Post
I cannot get the TV remote to work the 1070s volume. I've tried multiple settings on the soundbar with no luck. Is there something I might be missing in the settings on the 900F?

Also, I "assumed" that Netflix out of the 900F itself would play on the soundbar via ARC. It does not. I hooked up the optical cable and it sounds great, but it requires using the 1070's remote to switch inputs and adjust volume.
I use the Comcast remote for the TV (power) and 9000F soundbar (power, mute, volume) since I find most of the button pressing is done for cable channels, on demand, and DVR. One press of the power on the Comcast turns on both units. Also an advantage to this is no on-screen volume is displayed, something I find distracting. The tiny LED blink on the soundbar (and slow flash when muted) is the only volume display I get.

For apps, I need to go the 900F remote.

I have the same setup with the 75Z9D and a Polk MagnifiMax SR soundbar. No volume indication on-screen.
Ricoflashback likes this.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #7852 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
CaptinCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
X-tended Dynamic range should be set to high for HDR/Dolby Vision content. That's the only way to get the full dynamic range the set is capable of for HDR content. The proper setting to see correct HDR/Dolby Vision is high.

For SDR it's a different story, X-tended Dynamic Range will increase the dynamic range of SDR content to create a faux-HDR effect, but most people tend not to like that as it tends to mess up the SDR colors and make things look weird. The proper setting for correct SDR is off.
You need to go back 2 pages and read @Anderegg comments on why XDR should set to Medium, and ALD set to High.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
CaptinCrunch is offline  
post #7853 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 12:48 PM
Member
 
-griffy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
You need to go back 2 pages and read @Anderegg comments on why XDR should set to Medium, and ALD set to High.
Good to know, it's hard to keep up sometimes.
-griffy- is offline  
post #7854 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Anderegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleStrife View Post
Blooming doesn't bother me.
But i want to know if with XDR high i can have better blacks in HDR.
Unfortunately, in HDR, your backlight is set to 100% maximum brightness...XDR overdrives the peak luminance, so even with local dimming, the brighter your bright parts of the screen are, the brighter the adjacent ZERO BLACK LEVEL areas will be, simply from blooming bleedover. The black level on the X900F in HDR without local dimming active is around 0.150cd/m...which is far above the 0.04cd/m of SDR calibrated to 100cd/m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
You need to go back 2 pages and read @Anderegg comments on why XDR should set to Medium, and ALD set to High.
If you set XDR to high, it will ramp up and make brighter the 50-70% luminance range, which would have a similar "to the eye" effect of raising gamma...those below peak luminance areas would get brighter, so people would think the HDR looks brighter. As many know, increasing gamma may make a picture look brighter, but it's messing with a curve, not actually increasing peak brightness, which is what you're after in HDR highlights.

It's difficult to 100% test HDR with features such as local dimming and XDR, as you can really only half trust the readings due to the dynamic nature of the function, and the fixed nature of the 10% target box system of taking measurements mixed with the dynamic nature of ABL auto backlight limiter, which will drop brightness after a second or so to decrease power consumption. That last part is explained better in rtings for brightness figures.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
Anderegg is offline  
post #7855 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 01:14 PM
Member
 
AleStrife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Unfortunately, in HDR, your backlight is set to 100% maximum brightness...XDR overdrives the peak luminance, so even with local dimming, the brighter your bright parts of the screen are, the brighter the adjacent ZERO BLACK LEVEL areas will be, simply from blooming bleedover. The black level on the X900F in HDR without local dimming active is around 0.150cd/m...which is far above the 0.04cd/m of SDR calibrated to 100cd/m.







If you set XDR to high, it will ramp up and make brighter the 50-70% luminance range, which would have a similar "to the eye" effect of raising gamma...those below peak luminance areas would get brighter, so people would think the HDR looks brighter. As many know, increasing gamma may make a picture look brighter, but it's messing with a curve, not actually increasing peak brightness, which is what you're after in HDR highlights.



It's difficult to 100% test HDR with features such as local dimming and XDR, as you can really only half trust the readings due to the dynamic nature of the function, and the fixed nature of the 10% target box system of taking measurements mixed with the dynamic nature of ABL auto backlight limiter, which will drop brightness after a second or so to decrease power consumption. That last part is explained better in rtings for brightness figures.



Paul

So,in your opinion, what are the best XDR and ALD settings with HDR?

In SDR i have ALD to medium/high without problems.
Between ALD medium and high which is better in your opinion?

You have told before that XDR has the 'eye effect' of increase gamma...so,it would make sense decrease the gamma value of the tv with HDR?
For example set gamma -1.
Or, alternatively,turn completely off XDR with HDR content?
Or turn down a little bit the brightness of the tv.
It could be interesting to find a good compromise between an SDR and HDR image,for have a more bright abd vibrant image but not maximum bright values for have better black levels..

Last edited by AleStrife; 03-14-2019 at 04:39 PM.
AleStrife is offline  
post #7856 of 9707 Old 03-14-2019, 05:53 PM
Newbie
 
Cadence1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys.. Long time lurker. First time post. Please forgive if I ask stupid questions.

So I just bought a 900f to replace a P75-F1. I have just received and mounted the tv tonight so not a lot of experience. But I have been messing around with rtings recommended settings and some I have found online.

The reason I am posting is that I bought this TV and spent $1000 more than the Vizio specifically because of Sonys touted motion handling ability. With so much positives being said about this TV I thought it was going to be well better than the Vizio simply out of the box and stellar once configured.

I have not really seen that yet. The biggest thing I am having an issue with currently is motion handling. Which I have to say hurts my heart. haha!

Can someone please point me to some settings to use for watching sports, or more specifically golf on this tv? I was watching The Players Championship today and the motion blurring when panning on the putting green was HORRIBLE! It was almost unwatchable. Once the camera stops panning, the TV focuses perfectly and beautifully. But the focus/blurring is horrible before that! Now I am watching this on Xfinity cable. Which I cant say is the best provider by any means. But I have actually never experienced anything like this before on any of my other lcd's and surely none of the plasmas I have ever had. But honestly this is only the third LCD I have ever had going from a TCL to the Vizio, and now that Sony.

I watch a lot standard cable HD shows and stream your regular shows off Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. I cant stand SOE either.

Please help!

Thank you for reading and pointing me in the right direction on this wonderful TV.
Cadence1 is offline  
post #7857 of 9707 Old 03-15-2019, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence1 View Post
Hey guys.. Long time lurker. First time post. Please forgive if I ask stupid questions.

So I just bought a 900f to replace a P75-F1. I have just received and mounted the tv tonight so not a lot of experience. But I have been messing around with rtings recommended settings and some I have found online.

The reason I am posting is that I bought this TV and spent $1000 more than the Vizio specifically because of Sonys touted motion handling ability. With so much positives being said about this TV I thought it was going to be well better than the Vizio simply out of the box and stellar once configured.

I have not really seen that yet. The biggest thing I am having an issue with currently is motion handling. Which I have to say hurts my heart. haha!

Can someone please point me to some settings to use for watching sports, or more specifically golf on this tv? I was watching The Players Championship today and the motion blurring when panning on the putting green was HORRIBLE! It was almost unwatchable. Once the camera stops panning, the TV focuses perfectly and beautifully. But the focus/blurring is horrible before that! Now I am watching this on Xfinity cable. Which I cant say is the best provider by any means. But I have actually never experienced anything like this before on any of my other lcd's and surely none of the plasmas I have ever had. But honestly this is only the third LCD I have ever had going from a TCL to the Vizio, and now that Sony.

I watch a lot standard cable HD shows and stream your regular shows off Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. I cant stand SOE either.

Please help!

Thank you for reading and pointing me in the right direction on this wonderful TV.
I’ve watched a lot of sports on my 75” in the past year or so since I’ve had it and don’t have any motion related issues. I just keep my motionflow set to TrueCinema and Cinemotion set to high. Which basically uses no motion enhancement when watching sports. I watch mostly in Cinema Home and at night I’ll put it on Cinema Pro

Perhaps you are using too much smoothing and are experiencing side effects of that. I have my settings in my signature. It’s also possible you just simply had or have a bad feed.
acphydro is offline  
post #7858 of 9707 Old 03-15-2019, 03:36 AM
Member
 
EliteNewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 35
[QUOTE=poormxdad;57744768]The soundbar is a Yamaha ATS-1070. It was in the title of my first post, but I should have carried that over in the rest of the threads.
The 1070 does have a separate HDMI input and output, and I followed the instructions as to hooking it up to the cable box. The Cox cable box is not 4k.
The Sony 800 4k disc player is only hooked up to the home theater system (Onkyo 805, HSU sub, Thiel CS 1.2s, Thiel SCS, PSB surrounds) and 900F, so it is not part of my soundbar problem.


I hooked up the soundbar to my HSU subwoofer. Better than good enough sound from "The Mummy" on Netflix. That combo provides most of what I need to watch auto racing, hockey, old movies, Netflix, etc., without the need to turn on the full home theater. If possible, I want the soundbar to come on when the 900F is turned on and work its magic with no needed wife inputs when watching cable or using the internal choices from the 900F itself, like Netflix. If that's a bridge too far, I'll do some training. But right now, there's another remote for her to reach for...
I have a Sony soundbar connectected to my 900f tv thru HDMI ARC 3. I have Directv (HR 24 so non 4K) connected to HDMI 2 on 900f and a Sony Blu-ray connected to HDMI 4 on the 900f. I use the 900f remote and switch inputs on it to get each connected device to work plus control its volume. Now, if you want a specific command for a device, such as select a Directv channel, Change a Menu item, you then do need to use the Directv Remote. Same goes for the soundbar menu items or any other device you have connected by hdmi to the 900f. But basic select the device input and control volume are all done with the 900f remote. The 900f internal Apps work thru the 900f remote and sound plays thru the soundbar.
EliteNewbie is offline  
post #7859 of 9707 Old 03-15-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,344
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I use the Comcast remote for the TV (power) and 9000F soundbar (power, mute, volume) since I find most of the button pressing is done for cable channels, on demand, and DVR. One press of the power on the Comcast turns on both units. Also an advantage to this is no on-screen volume is displayed, something I find distracting. The tiny LED blink on the soundbar (and slow flash when muted) is the only volume display I get.

For apps, I need to go the 900F remote.

I have the same setup with the 75Z9D and a Polk MagnifiMax SR soundbar. No volume indication on-screen.
***I use my Comcast remote (Xfinity - non 4K Box) for both my Sony 900F and my AVR-Denon X5200. I press on the power button on the Comcast remote which turns on my TV, my AVR and my amplifier. I do see "on screen" volume for cable TV but when I switch to internal apps - - no on screen volume is displayed. I have an older AVR (non HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2).

I still get random "turn ons" of my TV, which turns everything else on (AVR & Amplifier) so when I turn the system off at night, I make sure to turn the volume way down. I'm not sure why it still continues to do this, but it does.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #7860 of 9707 Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,482
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***I use my Comcast remote (Xfinity - non 4K Box) for both my Sony 900F and my AVR-Denon X5200. I press on the power button on the Comcast remote which turns on my TV, my AVR and my amplifier. I do see "on screen" volume for cable TV but when I switch to internal apps - - no on screen volume is displayed. I have an older AVR (non HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2).

I still get random "turn ons" of my TV, which turns everything else on (AVR & Amplifier) so when I turn the system off at night, I make sure to turn the volume way down. I'm not sure why it still continues to do this, but it does.
I'm using the XR11 remote from Comcast, and went through the setup for the TV code, then the soundbar(s). They used to call it punch-through, where the power for the TV was the only function of the coding for the Comcast remote. Meaning the commands for volume and mute were transferred to the amp, receiver, soundbar etc.

Are you using the XR15 (newer) remote? Also, I found with the Comcast codes for the Polk MagnifiMax SR soundbar, they offered about 10 different 5 digit numbers to try. I do remember that one or two of their code choices kept the on-screen volume and mute, while other codes did not display those items. It could be the non HDMI compliant receiver, but I would go through a reprogram of the remote and try a few other numbers listed for Denon.
LeeSoFl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off