2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 263 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4364Likes

post #7861 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
how many dimming zone on 75 inch and 65 inch ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardlu View Post
how many dimming zone on 75 inch and 65 inch ?

Use the search function in the upper right (it generally works on this site) as this has been asked and addressed many times in this forum. Among others, modified from post 2983:

55": 40 (5 columns x 8 rows)
65": 60 (5 columns x 12 rows)

75": 60 (5 columns x 12 rows)
85": 72 (6 columns x 12 rows)

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #7863 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Lackey View Post
Interesting...I emailed him this weekend asking for a quote on the 85X900F and never heard back so purchased somewhere else.
Ah man, I do not think we missed any e-mails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy-2 View Post
I am in the same situation. I am replacing a Panasonic 65” ST50 plasma with a 75” 900F which is being delivered by Fry’s on Saturday.

It’s a trade off of almost perfect 1080P picture & dark blacks of my plasma with 4K, HDR & Dolby Vision, but w/compromises (dark corners & potential blooming) o the 900F. I am hoping I won’t notice once I get everything “dialed in” but won’t know until it is mounted. I did order bias lighting which I think will help.

I’m done with with worrying about burn-in, so OLED is out for me.
900F is a great unit and a OLED is a whole lot more cash anyway, nearly double the cost. OLED's are great but they are not 90% better then a 900F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7864 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleStrife View Post
So,in your opinion, what are the best XDR and ALD settings with HDR?

In SDR i have ALD to medium/high without problems.
Between ALD medium and high which is better in your opinion?

You have told before that XDR has the 'eye effect' of increase gamma...so,it would make sense decrease the gamma value of the tv with HDR?
For example set gamma -1.
Or, alternatively,turn completely off XDR with HDR content?
Or turn down a little bit the brightness of the tv.
It could be interesting to find a good compromise between an SDR and HDR image,for have a more bright abd vibrant image but not maximum bright values for have better black levels..
I find XDR to be a personal choice, for some (Disk) 4k HDR movies (American Made, The House with a Clock inside it's Walls) using XDR blows out spectacular highs making the image look over exposed at times or adding excessive bloom around an object. While other 4K HDR movies (Black Panther, Ready Player One) using XDR on medium adds a little extra to the highlights without blowing them out or inducing added bloom.

I get the best HDR results with

Gamma - 0
Brightness - High
Contrast - High
ALD - High
XDR - Off/Medium depending on the HDR/DV content.

For SDR content, IMO XDR should always be off. Sony's idea of XDR was to make SDR content look like HDR content...aka Fake HDR
PlanetAVS and naustin like this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2

Last edited by CaptinCrunch; 03-15-2019 at 07:37 AM.
post #7865 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
For SDR content, IMO XDR should always be off. Sony's idea of XDR was to make SDR content look like HDR content...aka Fake HDR

And if you 'create' it in SDR it will minimize the perceptual effect of HDR when present thus making it seem like less of a change. Same goes with having the SDR picture brightness maxed out all the time.
CaptinCrunch and naustin like this.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #7866 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I watched the open matte version of The Revenant last night and was blown away at how good this set looked.

Having never seen that movie I was lucky to experience it first in full frame!

With the upscaling this thing does and 75 inches it was an absolute treat!
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #7867 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***I'd forget ARC and just go with a simple optical connection (max 5.1) for your soundbar.

So the configuration would be HDMI 2 "In" - Sony 900F (your Sony 4K Bluray Player with separate audio from player "Out" to AVR "In" - the only time you use your AVR and speakers?) and Cable box HDMI "out" to Sony 900F HDMI 3 "In" with Optical "Out" from Sony 900F TV to your soundbar.
Sir, I hooked everything up per your instructions. It certainly sounds fine, and is indeed simpler, but I still need the soundbar's remote to do the volume. Is there no way around that?

Also, and I hate to be spoonfed, but I can't figure out how to rerun the initial setup for the 900F. When we first unboxed it, I hooked the cable box up to HDMI 1 since it was easy to get to, just to see the TV work. Now, no matter what I try, the Settop Box is HDMI 1, and I can't seem to make any changes using the Sync Menu.

Thanks much,
post #7868 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by remark900 View Post
I watched the open matte version of The Revenant last night and was blown away at how good this set looked.

Having never seen that movie I was lucky to experience it first in full frame!

With the upscaling this thing does and 75 inches it was an absolute treat!
***Yes, indeed! And....one of the other huge benefits of the Sony 900F is "shadow detail" - detail rendered in the darkest parts of an image. It's a personal preference, but I much rather have an acceptable black level (which the Sony 900F definitely has) WITH super shadow detail as opposed to blacker than black "OLED" blacks without the shadow detail. The Revenant is one of those movies that really shows off the benefits of the Sony 900F in regards to shadow detail. The movie really has incredible color tones and many dusk scenes where you can see layers of light and background images.
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #7869 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
I find XDR to be a personal choice, for some (Disk) 4k HDR movies (American Made, The House with a Clock inside it's Walls) using XDR blows out spectacular highs making the image look over exposed at times or adding excessive bloom around an object. While other 4K HDR movies (Black Panther, Ready Player One) using XDR on medium adds a little extra to the highlights without blowing them out or inducing added bloom.

I get the best HDR results with

Gamma - 0

Brightness - High

Contrast - High

ALD - High

XDR - Off/Medium depending on the HDR/DV content.

With XDR off probably the black levels are better,but the image lost the 'wow' effect on the white lights (like sun).
I will try to put XDR to Low and Gamma value to -1 on the tv in HDR.
post #7870 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormxdad View Post
Sir, I hooked everything up per your instructions. It certainly sounds fine, and is indeed simpler, but I still need the soundbar's remote to do the volume. Is there no way around that?

Also, and I hate to be spoonfed, but I can't figure out how to rerun the initial setup for the 900F. When we first unboxed it, I hooked the cable box up to HDMI 1 since it was easy to get to, just to see the TV work. Now, no matter what I try, the Settop Box is HDMI 1, and I can't seem to make any changes using the Sync Menu.

Thanks much,
OK - go to Settings and then External Inputs. Look at the "Customize TV Key" (I believe) and make sure it is set to the right HDMI Input on your Sony 900F - - which I believe is HDMI 3? I also think there is a way to have the TV "boot" to the Sony 900F HDMI Input you want but I can't remember it. See if the "Customize TV Key" solves that issue.

This is a work around but for the TV in our bedroom that has a soundbar, I've changed the code on my Comcast remote to match the code of our soundbar. Now - this still requires me to use the Sony 900F remote to turn the TV "on" but I now can use my Comcast remote to increase/decrease audio from the soundbar and change channels. Then, to turn off the audio from the soundbar (when done for the day/night) - you have to use the soundbar remote. And then, the Sony 900F remote to turn the TV off. Yes - a little kludgy, but it's more convenient than having to reach for the soundbar remote all the time. This way - - you reach for your Sony 900F remote to turn on and turn off the TV and your soundbar remote to turn off your soundbar audio. Hope this helps.

P.S. - I'm using the older, non-voice XR5 v4-u remote. I have the XR-11 but I don't use it.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 03-15-2019 at 08:48 AM.
post #7871 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've posted about this issue before, but I don't think a lot of people deal with it. In my set up with my Vizio sound bar connected through Arc, I have sound sync issues, which are delayed audio, rather than video. I believe these are mostly rooted to the source DirecTV feed, and it's just one of those things where because of the difference of perception of external speakers vs the TV's own speakers, the delay just seems much more pronounced (audio from optical out to the sound bar has the same issues). It varies from channel to channel, so I feel as if it's not really a problem with my sound bar.

The A/V sync feature of the TV handles this problem fantastically, though it brings about the common problem of out of time screen flashes from the Local Dimming system, which requires me to turn Local Dimming off while using A/V sync. I only need this feature for my DirecTV input, in fact it hurts other inputs, for example, my Apple TV which is direct fed into the sound bar and then to the TV through arc gets OUT of SYNC from the feature, because the audio is direct from the source rather than from the TV. Also A/V Sync produces input lag while gaming, so again is a no go there.

I really wish that this feature was input specific, so that it automatically triggered while on input 1, but was not present on input 2, 3, and 4, or was not so buried in the settings (it requires going to the home screen, then the settings menu, then the sound menu, and all the way down to the sync options). I have gotten good at going through the settings, but it really drives my wife nuts when we want to switch to playing Switch, or watching something on the Apple TV. Is there any way to streamline this? Is there any way to have a remote button programmed to toggle this? My instincts tell me that without a change with a software update the answer is no, but perhaps someone smarter than me has a solution.
post #7872 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafffster View Post
I've posted about this issue before, but I don't think a lot of people deal with it. In my set up with my Vizio sound bar connected through Arc, I have sound sync issues, which are delayed audio, rather than video. I believe these are mostly rooted to the source DirecTV feed, and it's just one of those things where because of the difference of perception of external speakers vs the TV's own speakers, the delay just seems much more pronounced (audio from optical out to the sound bar has the same issues). It varies from channel to channel, so I feel as if it's not really a problem with my sound bar.

The A/V sync feature of the TV handles this problem fantastically, though it brings about the common problem of out of time screen flashes from the Local Dimming system, which requires me to turn Local Dimming off while using A/V sync. I only need this feature for my DirecTV input, in fact it hurts other inputs, for example, my Apple TV which is direct fed into the sound bar and then to the TV through arc gets OUT of SYNC from the feature, because the audio is direct from the source rather than from the TV. Also A/V Sync produces input lag while gaming, so again is a no go there.

I really wish that this feature was input specific, so that it automatically triggered while on input 1, but was not present on input 2, 3, and 4, or was not so buried in the settings (it requires going to the home screen, then the settings menu, then the sound menu, and all the way down to the sync options). I have gotten good at going through the settings, but it really drives my wife nuts when we want to switch to playing Switch, or watching something on the Apple TV. Is there any way to streamline this? Is there any way to have a remote button programmed to toggle this? My instincts tell me that without a change with a software update the answer is no, but perhaps someone smarter than me has a solution.

I simply change the delay on the soundbar with the Vizio remote. It is usually never off by more than one in either the - or + to the delay and generally only when I go from cable to anything else and vice versa.

post #7873 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
I simply change the delay on the soundbar with the Vizio remote. It is usually never off by more than one in either the - or + to the delay and generally only when I go from cable to anything else and vice versa.
Yes, typically this would work. As I described, my problem is that video is ahead of the audio. Sound bars only allow you to delay the audio, not make it come earlier. If this were my problem, I would be able to secretly work out the delay with the Vizio app on my phone; to my knowledge, Sony does not have a similar companion app to allow me to adjust TV settings without interrupting viewing (although with the Android platform, it is certainly within their abilities to do so). This problem is particularly bad on local affiliates, where historically things go weird with processing on their end, then delivering to the cable and satellite providers.
post #7874 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafffster View Post
Yes, typically this would work. As I described, my problem is that video is ahead of the audio. Sound bars only allow you to delay the audio, not make it come earlier. If this were my problem, I would be able to secretly work out the delay with the Vizio app on my phone; to my knowledge, Sony does not have a similar companion app to allow me to adjust TV settings without interrupting viewing (although with the Android platform, it is certainly within their abilities to do so). This problem is particularly bad on local affiliates, where historically things go weird with processing on their end, then delivering to the cable and satellite providers.

I don't think I have A/V sync turned on in the settings (assuming that can be toggled). Perhaps I am just lucky in my situation that things work out as they do.

post #7875 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Ah man, I do not think we missed any e-mails
Sorry about that...I like to try and support forum sponsors for things like this but when I got no response I had to pull the trigger elsewhere. May be coming around for other toys though so no worries!
post #7876 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I’ve watched a lot of sports on my 75” in the past year or so since I’ve had it and don’t have any motion related issues. I just keep my motionflow set to TrueCinema and Cinemotion set to high. Which basically uses no motion enhancement when watching sports. I watch mostly in Cinema Home and at night I’ll put it on Cinema Pro

Perhaps you are using too much smoothing and are experiencing side effects of that. I have my settings in my signature. It’s also possible you just simply had or have a bad feed.
Thank you for the reply! I will give these settings a try tonight. I do not think I was using any "smoothing" to my knowledge. I think you have to set something to custom in order to adjust smoothing which I have not done. But will confirm.

I do not deny that my source could have been crap. Comcast is never good in my opinion. And after watching some of the ACC playoffs I cant say there was any blurring during any of the panning in that game. But the detail was not exactly what I was used to. Like around the numbers that displayed the score. It almost seemed like Anti Aliasing needed to be turned on? "Jaggys" were present.

Either way I will look up your settings and see if I can make a difference.

If anyone else has any suggestions or has experienced any similar issues please do feel free to comment.

Thanks again for the input!
post #7877 of 9763 Old 03-15-2019, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence1 View Post
Thank you for the reply! I will give these settings a try tonight. I do not think I was using any "smoothing" to my knowledge. I think you have to set something to custom in order to adjust smoothing which I have not done. But will confirm.

I do not deny that my source could have been crap. Comcast is never good in my opinion. And after watching some of the ACC playoffs I cant say there was any blurring during any of the panning in that game. But the detail was not exactly what I was used to. Like around the numbers that displayed the score. It almost seemed like Anti Aliasing needed to be turned on? "Jaggys" were present.

Either way I will look up your settings and see if I can make a difference.

If anyone else has any suggestions or has experienced any similar issues please do feel free to comment.

Thanks again for the input!
For my Cox cable box, I use custom picture mode. Contrast 90. Gamma 0. Random and digital noise reduction both on low. Smooth gradation on low. true cinema with cinemotion on low. Color expert 1. Local dimming high. Xtended range off. Black adjust off. Advanced contrast off. Reality creation off. Sharpness 50. I keep my brightness low as well (1) as I do most of my viewing at night. I’ve been using these settings for the past week and I’ve never been happier with the picture quality with a cable feed.

It’s strange, though. I thought cinemotion had to be set to high to get proper 24p from a 60p source, but I was getting a stutter. Tried it on medium, still a stutter. Low, everything is perfect now.
post #7878 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Any 900f owner able to view UHD or Imax Enhanced content on FandangoNow yet? I tried messaging customer service about basically every 900F owner not being able to access UHD content on their service, and instead of actually trying to understand the issue, the guy provided the basic troubleshooting fixes. Very disappointing, as the 900f is imax enhanced, and FN is only streaming service that offers IE. Nobody knows when IE UHD BDs are going to come out.
jtrippe and Ricoflashback like this.
post #7879 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kittle View Post
Any 900f owner able to view UHD or Imax Enhanced content on FandangoNow yet? I tried messaging customer service about basically every 900F owner not being able to access UHD content on their service, and instead of actually trying to understand the issue, the guy provided the basic troubleshooting fixes. Very disappointing, as the 900f is imax enhanced, and FN is only streaming service that offers IE. Nobody knows when IE UHD BDs are going to come out.
Have you tried Fandango Now from an external device? The native app doesn't support UHD let alone HDR.
post #7880 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:
Have you tried Fandango Now from an external device? The native app doesn't support UHD let alone HDR.
I have not tried an external device. I do have an xbox one s, and will see if they have the fandangonow app on it. The onboard app previously provided me the UHD option before one of the latest updates to the TV.
post #7881 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 1922
Quote:
I have not tried an external device. I do have an xbox one s, and will see if they have the fandangonow app on it. The onboard app previously provided me the UHD option before one of the latest updates to the TV.

Are you on Oreo? It seems like it takes the app vendors some time to catch up and update their apps after a firmware update. Vudu also had this problem with HDR.
post #7882 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:

Are you on Oreo? It seems like it takes the app vendors some time to catch up and update their apps after a firmware update. Vudu also had this problem with HDR.
I am on Oreo. Have not had issues with ARC, or video issues. Android menus seems a little more stable than when i first got the TV, May 2018. Fandango doesn't even appear to even admit they need to update their onboard applications. Which is silly because they are the only imax enhances outlet, and will be losing out on business; which I tried to explain to the customer service rep, whom obviously did not have critical thinking skills.
post #7883 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is a visible difference in black levels between auto local dimming medium and high?
Blooming don't bother me so much with games.
post #7884 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone know if there is a way to push the update from the tv? My tv shows up to date but still has 7.0 Nougat. I don't have any audio equipment setup that could have the arc issues. Or do I have to dl it from support page and put it on a usb?
post #7885 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
***Thanks for letting everyone on this thread know about Imax Enhanced on FandangoNow. Nice catch.

I'm not sure anything is available, right now, in the IE format yet. Also - please see the link below and I found this interesting, as well:

"Although Imax Enhanced is exclusive to FandangoNow users, it’s not the only high dynamic range (HDR) technology, which provides a sharper image through wider contrast levels and more elaborate colors, available to consumers. Films equipped with Dolby Vision, one of the more popular HDR technologies, are available through digital retailers and streaming services like iTunes, Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu. Dolby Vision is not available for FandangoNow members."

I find the last comment interesting. So IE enhanced content would be available but not Dolby Vision? Go figure. At any rate, it will be interesting to see what the Imax Enhanced content looks like.

LINK: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/7/18...s-hdr-ces-2019

Lastly, and this is a pet peeve of mine with all streaming sites - - when you play a trailer, they never provide the best quality content. Example: if there is a 4K/HDR movie available, I'd like to see a 4K/HDR trailer. That way - - I could tell what the picture quality looks like. Personally, I don't think it's very smart of any streaming company NOT to provide the best "Trailer" quality picture possible to entice people to buy - - but what do I know. I'm only looking at increasing sales. Maybe not a focus of these companies. Thx again - Rico.
naustin likes this.

Home Theater Setup
post #7886 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=Ricoflashback;57756340]
Quote:
***Thanks for letting everyone on this thread know about Imax Enhanced on FandangoNow. Nice catch.

I'm not sure anything is available, right now, in the IE format yet. Also - please see the link below and I found this interesting, as well:

"Although Imax Enhanced is exclusive to FandangoNow users, it’s not the only high dynamic range (HDR) technology, which provides a sharper image through wider contrast levels and more elaborate colors, available to consumers. Films equipped with Dolby Vision, one of the more popular HDR technologies, are available through digital retailers and streaming services like iTunes, Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu. Dolby Vision is not available for FandangoNow members."

I find the last comment interesting. So IE enhanced content would be available but not Dolby Vision? Go figure. At any rate, it will be interesting to see what the Imax Enhanced content looks like.

LINK: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/7/18...s-hdr-ces-2019

Lastly, and this is a pet peeve of mine with all streaming sites - - when you play a trailer, they never provide the best quality content. Example: if there is a 4K/HDR movie available, I'd like to see a 4K/HDR trailer. That way - - I could tell what the picture quality looks like. Personally, I don't think it's very smart of any streaming company NOT to provide the best "Trailer" quality picture possible to entice people to buy - - but what do I know. I'm only looking at increasing sales. Maybe not a focus of these companies. Thx again - Rico.[/QUOTEl]

Big reason streaming is not my number 1 go to for video, and audio. All streaming services are cutting corners, or don't want to pay license fee for atmos, or vision. They user heavily compressed files, and limits the picture and sound quality. If I want a movie, will be UHD BD, and excited to see what future IE UHD BDs look like, when they ever get released. Already pre ordered Aquaman UHD, and most of the movie is in the imax format, so excited to play that on the 900F.
post #7887 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RE: "Big reason streaming is not my number 1 go to for video, and audio. All streaming services are cutting corners, or don't want to pay license fee for atmos, or vision. They user heavily compressed files, and limits the picture and sound quality. If I want a movie, will be UHD BD, and excited to see what future IE UHD BDs look like, when they ever get released. Already pre ordered Aquaman UHD, and most of the movie is in the imax format, so excited to play that on the 900F."

***I've gone the opposite direction. I had a Samsung Blu-ray Player and the 4K/HDR (lot's of fake 4K/HDR from 2K sources) just wasn't that impressive. No where near as impressive as prior to 4K with Bluray versus earlier, non 4K streaming. The Bluray disc provided discernible sharpness and clarity with the picture. And it made a huge difference with my BenQ projector (100" screen - now mothballed after acquiring my Sony 75" 900F.)

I agree that I'm missing out on uncompressed audio (Dolby Atmos) but I find the Sony 900F does an incredible job in upscaling 1080i content as well as 1080p content from Amazon Prime, Netflix, HULU & Google Play movies. I, for one, would like to see what the image is like with IMAX Enhanced via FandangoNow and will wait for other "early adopters" to chime in.

Home Theater Setup
post #7888 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 02:44 PM

Calibration settings for Sony X900F question

Hello. This is my first day posting (asking questions) and I'd greatly appreciate any information. I just bought a 75 inch X900F today. I was wondering if anyone (or several opinions) would have recommendations on good settings to use (maybe this isn't called "calibration" -- I can't remember). Years ago, I got a Pioneer Elite Plasma, I a fellow called D-nice had posted some settings to use to make the picture look really good (and it has looked good for the last 13 years) -- now I have this new TV and I'm wondering about good settings to use. I'm guessing I could look through the entire thread but a more knowledgable poster my know where to find some good recommendations on settings (and my wife will kill my if I read all the pages of this thread). Even if someone knows the post #'s of some different recommendations for settings, that would be super cool -- then I could check them out. Many, many thanks!!
post #7889 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 02:46 PM

Also Ryan Kittle above mentions something about "ARC" -- what is "ARC"?
post #7890 of 9763 Old 03-16-2019, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"Calibration settings for Sony X900F question"

If you notice skin tones are pushing red I found the Rtings settings solved that problem. Most have bumped the brightness to taste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page