2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 264 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4304Likes

post #7891 of 9545 Old 03-16-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassLake View Post
"Calibration settings for Sony X900F question"

If you notice skin tones are pushing red I found the Rtings settings solved that problem. Most have bumped the brightness to taste.
Thanks for replying. Other opinions are welcome -- are the Rtings settings well liked by most (and then adjusting brightness to taste)? Many thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 9545 Old 03-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erestrial Briggax View Post
Hello. This is my first day posting (asking questions) and I'd greatly appreciate any information. I just bought a 75 inch X900F today. I was wondering if anyone (or several opinions) would have recommendations on good settings to use (maybe this isn't called "calibration" -- I can't remember). Years ago, I got a Pioneer Elite Plasma, I a fellow called D-nice had posted some settings to use to make the picture look really good (and it has looked good for the last 13 years) -- now I have this new TV and I'm wondering about good settings to use. I'm guessing I could look through the entire thread but a more knowledgable poster my know where to find some good recommendations on settings (and my wife will kill my if I read all the pages of this thread). Even if someone knows the post #'s of some different recommendations for settings, that would be super cool -- then I could check them out. Many, many thanks!!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...3035662?page=1

There are really good setting here to try. You can use Cinema Pro/Expert 1 and Cinema Home/Expert 2 for different settings and go between the 2 to see which you like best.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2

Last edited by CaptinCrunch; 03-16-2019 at 04:00 PM.
post #7893 of 9545 Old 03-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I bought 4K UHD of "Magical Beast and where to find them The crimes of Grindelwald" and it looked absolutely awesome on my X900F.

Definitely worth adding to any 4K collection!!
Alan Lackey likes this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7894 of 9545 Old 03-16-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
ARC is Audio Return Channel. Check the 900F Settings thread.
Erestrial Briggax likes this.

Spoiler!
post #7895 of 9545 Old 03-16-2019, 08:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the help!!
post #7896 of 9545 Old 03-16-2019, 09:06 PM

Should I have my Blu Ray/4k player go directly into my Denon receiver via HDMI and then from the receiver into either input 2 or 3 on the 900F. And then have my Mediacom cable (essentially same as Comcast) go from the cable box to the TV and then sound from the TV to the Denon --- or does the Mediacom signal also go right into the Denon then then to the TV -- or (lastly) does it go from the cable box to the TV (for picture) AND from the cable box to the Denon (for sound) -- I should know, but I don't -- what is the BEST way to do all this? Thanks!
post #7897 of 9545 Old 03-16-2019, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Should I have my Blu Ray/4k player go directly into my Denon receiver via HDMI and then from the receiver into either input 2 or 3 on the 900F. And then have my Mediacom cable (essentially same as Comcast) go from the cable box to the TV and then sound from the TV to the Denon --- or does the Mediacom signal also go right into the Denon then then to the TV -- or (lastly) does it go from the cable box to the TV (for picture) AND from the cable box to the Denon (for sound) -- I should know, but I don't -- what is the BEST way to do all this? Thanks!
Does your Denon passthrough 4k HDR? If so..

1. Plug your blu ray/4k player into your receiver.
2. Plug your receiver into the tv’s hdmi arc port (I believe it’s hdmi 3)
3. Make sure you have hdmi 2 and 3 set to enhanced on the tv itself. This is found in the settings on the home menu.
4. I plug my cable box into my tv instead of my receiver because my cable box does not do cec. By going through the tv I still get full surround as well as being able to use my cable remote to switch inputs between all my sources. You can plug it into the receiver if you’d like. Maybe your box does cec.

If your receiver does not passthrough 4k HDR:

1. Plug your receiver into hdmi arc port (again, hdmi 3 I believe).
2. Make sure you have hdmi 2 and 3 set to enhanced on the tv itself. This is found in the settings on the home menu.
3. Plug 4k player into hdmi 2 on tv as this is the only other hdmi port that is enhanced.
4. Plug cable box into hdmi 1 or 4 on tv.

Hdmi arc will handle the audio for anything plugged directly into the tv as long as the receiver is plugged into the arc port.

I’d suggest premium certified 18gbps hdmi cables for 4k hdr.
Erestrial Briggax likes this.
post #7898 of 9545 Old 03-17-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
can someone with the 75" please measure from the bottom vesa wall mount screw to the bottom of the TV?

disregard.... i used the search function

http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/pdfs/...t_20171110.pdf

Last edited by 2000army; 03-17-2019 at 08:25 AM.
post #7899 of 9545 Old 03-17-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6576 Post(s)
Liked: 6575
Quote:
Hello. This is my first day posting (asking questions) and I'd greatly appreciate any information. I just bought a 75 inch X900F today. I was wondering if anyone (or several opinions) would have recommendations on good settings to use (maybe this isn't called "calibration" -- I can't remember). Years ago, I got a Pioneer Elite Plasma, I a fellow called D-nice had posted some settings to use to make the picture look really good (and it has looked good for the last 13 years) -- now I have this new TV and I'm wondering about good settings to use. I'm guessing I could look through the entire thread but a more knowledgable poster my know where to find some good recommendations on settings (and my wife will kill my if I read all the pages of this thread). Even if someone knows the post #'s of some different recommendations for settings, that would be super cool -- then I could check them out. Many, many thanks!!
Oh there are all kinds of settings thru out the thread, I think rtings has some posted too.
post #7900 of 9545 Old 03-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Dedicated thread for X900F user settings:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...gs-thread.html

Have fun.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #7901 of 9545 Old 03-17-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
Needed to switch 2 of the HDMI inputs on the back of this set. #2 needed to switch positions with #4 .
Now that I’ve unplugged both, I, for the life of me cannot plug them back in. Between the lack of space between the inputs and the thickness of the Blue Jean cables, I just cannot do it. PITA to now remove the set from the wall. Wall mounts look nice but obviously makes it much more difficult to work with. Sorry I even started this project. Needed to vent. Sorry.
***Understood. Can you buy "flatter" HDMI cables to make them easier to plug in? Blue Jeans makes nice products but the thickness of their HDMI cables can be a problem. I know you'd have to replace two cables (another obstacle - if they are already in the wall) - but that might be an easier solution.

Or - - do you have any skinny, long armed friends that can reach back there with your help - - shining the light, so to speak? In honor of the NCAA Mens Basketball tournaments this week - - how about a skinny, 7 foot center with thin, long arms? Do you have a college close to you? $25 bucks to plug in my cables.
geoffrsc likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #7902 of 9545 Old 03-17-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is there anyway to see the details of the current display/signal/image other than just resolution eg colour space (eg 709/2020) and chroma sampling (eg 4:2:0 / 4:2:2? Thanks

Epson EH-TW7300, 104" borderless ReAct 3, Denon AVR-X2300W in 5.1.2, Monitor Audio Bronze, Monitor Audio Pro-65, BK P12-300 sub, Nvidia Shield, Vero 4K+, ATV 4K, Panasonic UB400, SKY Q, PS3, Wii, RPi, Sony XF90, Denon Heos soundbar, Amazon Echo, Logitech Harmony Elite
post #7903 of 9545 Old 03-17-2019, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey everyone ! First time posting on this forum, I am interested in purchasing this tv in 75 inch is there anything too look out for , for example panel issues clouding etc ? Any input would be appreciated Thanks !!
post #7904 of 9545 Old 03-17-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max4swag View Post
Hey everyone ! First time posting on this forum, I am interested in purchasing this tv in 75 inch is there anything too look out for , for example panel issues clouding etc ? Any input would be appreciated Thanks !!
My advice...never go looking for issues!

There is no perfect panel, so if one looks hard enough they will undoubtedly find flaws.
Educated Idiot likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #7905 of 9545 Old 03-17-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Understood. Can you buy "flatter" HDMI cables to make them easier to plug in? Blue Jeans makes nice products but the thickness of their HDMI cables can be a problem. I know you'd have to replace two cables (another obstacle - if they are already in the wall) - but that might be an easier solution.

Or - - do you have any skinny, long armed friends that can reach back there with your help - - shining the light, so to speak? In honor of the NCAA Mens Basketball tournaments this week - - how about a skinny, 7 foot center with thin, long arms? Do you have a college close to you? $25 bucks to plug in my cables.
They are in the wall. Finally managed to connect them. Lesson learned! Would have been easier even the inputs were facing out rather than down.
post #7906 of 9545 Old 03-17-2019, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Just took delivery on a 900F and very happy with it. I was hoping someone could help me with an issue prior to wall mounting.

I thought I had read that the power cord was detachable. I was planning to just get a longer one so that I didn't need to install a new outlet. But now that I take a look at it, it's not a detachable cord (65"). So here's my dilemma: The wall Im mounting it on is slighly larger than the width of my fireplace, and my plan was to just run the cables (in a cable sheath the same color as the wall) along the side and back toward the available outlet. Im just not crazy about putting holes/outlets in this wall since I may not want the tv to always be mounted here.

Anyway, what would the best option be to get a long cord run here? Is it safe to just use a proper extension cord? I need about a 12' run to do what Im wanting to do. Any feedback is appreciated.
post #7907 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeWasAbducted View Post
Does your Denon passthrough 4k HDR? If so..

1. Plug your blu ray/4k player into your receiver.
2. Plug your receiver into the tv’s hdmi arc port (I believe it’s hdmi 3)
3. Make sure you have hdmi 2 and 3 set to enhanced on the tv itself. This is found in the settings on the home menu.
4. I plug my cable box into my tv instead of my receiver because my cable box does not do cec. By going through the tv I still get full surround as well as being able to use my cable remote to switch inputs between all my sources. You can plug it into the receiver if you’d like. Maybe your box does cec.

If your receiver does not passthrough 4k HDR:

1. Plug your receiver into hdmi arc port (again, hdmi 3 I believe).
2. Make sure you have hdmi 2 and 3 set to enhanced on the tv itself. This is found in the settings on the home menu.
3. Plug 4k player into hdmi 2 on tv as this is the only other hdmi port that is enhanced.
4. Plug cable box into hdmi 1 or 4 on tv.

Hdmi arc will handle the audio for anything plugged directly into the tv as long as the receiver is plugged into the arc port.

I’d suggest premium certified 18gbps hdmi cables for 4k hdr.
I just wanted to mention this, in case anyone else encounters this. I have a 55” Sony HDR900f and a Pioneer AVR LX103 (with 4K passthru) connected from the AVR ARC to Sony ARC3 with an HDMI 18gb certified w/Ethernet cable. My Directv Reciever (HR24), Appletv 4K and Sony Blu-ray player are connected to the inputs on the Pioneer AVR with same type cable. I turned on Enhanced HDR in the Setting>External Input>HDMI Format on the Sony 900f. I had no problems with audio/video when viewing something thru the Appletv or the Blu-ray but when selecting Directv input (from the AVR) I got picture but no sound. I had to change the Sony 900f External Input setting back to SDR not Enhanced in order to hear sound again on directv. I can change back to Enhanced for viewing the Appletv or Blu-ray but usually don’t unless I know it’s 4K (and I don’t have internet speed for that so limited to a disk for the Blu-ray)
post #7908 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Just took delivery on a 900F and very happy with it. I was hoping someone could help me with an issue prior to wall mounting.

I thought I had read that the power cord was detachable. I was planning to just get a longer one so that I didn't need to install a new outlet. But now that I take a look at it, it's not a detachable cord (65"). So here's my dilemma: The wall Im mounting it on is slighly larger than the width of my fireplace, and my plan was to just run the cables (in a cable sheath the same color as the wall) along the side and back toward the available outlet. Im just not crazy about putting holes/outlets in this wall since I may not want the tv to always be mounted here.

Anyway, what would the best option be to get a long cord run here? Is it safe to just use a proper extension cord? I need about a 12' run to do what Im wanting to do. Any feedback is appreciated.
I used a thick extension cord in the wall. It wasn’t feasible to put a box there so my electrician used a thick extension cord after cutting 2 holes.
Summa likes this.
post #7909 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI - I hadn’t watched Netflix in a while after the Oreo update and when first watching “Triple Frontier,” DV came up but not Dolby Atmos. The internal apps menu can be funky in that sometimes I get the full screen menu and other times I get a smaller menu screen to the right of my TV. Many times, DV is accompanied by a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

So last night, I couldn’t get Netflix to run. I ended up doing a “force stop” and then starting Netflix again. It worked and Dolby Atmos appeared as the soundtrack and was reflected on my AVR. While it is compressed Atmos via ARC, it’s still great and very noticeable. Another benefit of the internal apps even though the Android interface can be kludgy.
fgsouza and Educated Idiot like this.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #7910 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 05:34 AM

Liked: 10
I am having s problem with Direct TV and hope someone may be able to help. When I go to a Direct TV 4K channel I get a message saying "your TV does not support 4K" He TV is a Sony 900f 85 and I have to go into the Direct box menu, settings, display, resolution and check the 4K box and it works, but next time I go to their 4k channels I have the same problem.
Direct TV has changed the box , which didn't help, and now claim it.s a software problem that they are working on.
If you have a solution to this problem i would certainly appreciate your help.
post #7911 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm trying to set black adjust and adv. contrast enhancer to MEDIUM.
It seems help the black levels in HDR.
Only thing is that i must set it to medium and off every time i play in HDR because in SDR It remains to Medium and i prefer to leave them off in SDR.
post #7912 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
FYI - I hadn’t watched Netflix in a while after the Oreo update and when first watching “Triple Frontier,” DV came up but not Dolby Atmos. The internal apps menu can be funky in that sometimes I get the full screen menu and other times I get a smaller menu screen to the right of my TV. Many times, DV is accompanied by a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

So last night, I couldn’t get Netflix to run. I ended up doing a “force stop” and then starting Netflix again. It worked and Dolby Atmos appeared as the soundtrack and was reflected on my AVR. While it is compressed Atmos via ARC, it’s still great and very noticeable. Another benefit of the internal apps even though the Android interface can be kludgy.
That's great feedback. I have found on several occasions that some of the internal apps will not launch; they get stuck at the launch screen for example. So those times I would do a force stop. I only wish there was a quicker way to get to a force stop for an app such as a long press on the app button or something? For as often as it can be necessary it would be nice to have a shortcut.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #7913 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated Idiot View Post
That's great feedback. I have found on several occasions that some of the internal apps will not launch; they get stuck at the launch screen for example. So those times I would do a force stop. I only wish there was a quicker way to get to a force stop for an app such as a long press on the app button or something? For as often as it can be necessary it would be nice to have a shortcut.
***The "Long Press" option used to be available but not after the latest update. As I said in my post - - the smaller menu I occasionally get always gives me a couple options and one of them is "force stop." I think if that menu comes up again, I'll just ensure that whatever I'm going to stream - - I force stop anything if it's running - - which I can't really tell!

Home Theater Setup
post #7914 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oticon View Post
I am having s problem with Direct TV and hope someone may be able to help. When I go to a Direct TV 4K channel I get a message saying "your TV does not support 4K" He TV is a Sony 900f 85 and I have to go into the Direct box menu, settings, display, resolution and check the 4K box and it works, but next time I go to their 4k channels I have the same problem.
Direct TV has changed the box , which didn't help, and now claim it.s a software problem that they are working on.
I have a 75 inch X900f and it works fine with the Direct TV 4k box. Only had set it once on the TV box.
post #7915 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
***The "Long Press" option used to be available but not after the latest update. As I said in my post - - the smaller menu I occasionally get always gives me a couple options and one of them is "force stop." I think if that menu comes up again, I'll just ensure that whatever I'm going to stream - - I force stop anything if it's running - - which I can't really tell!
I'm still on OS 7.0 and I have tried the long press and it didn't seem to register from what I could tell. Perhaps it used to exist in the original OS 6.0? Bummer to have removed that if so.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #7916 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is there a built in video app for DLNA?
post #7917 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all,

I've had the 55" X900F since December and loving it, using mostly with the X800 4k player.

So today, I purchased a PS4 Pro and was wondering if there is a certain setting I can use for both movies and gaming? It'd be a pain having to always switch them back and forth.

If not, is there a certain setting that works perfect with the PS4 Pro? Thanks in advance

Sony 55X900F | Denon X1400H |Klipsch R28F | R25C | R15M
post #7918 of 9545 Old 03-18-2019, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by oticon View Post
it is DTV problem happen on my all three 4K tvs. it is annoying to do setting all the time.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #7919 of 9545 Old 03-19-2019, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Is there anyway to see the details of the current display/signal/image other than just resolution eg colour space (eg rec.709/2020) and chroma sampling (eg 4:2:0 / 4:2:2)? Thanks

Epson EH-TW7300, 104" borderless ReAct 3, Denon AVR-X2300W in 5.1.2, Monitor Audio Bronze, Monitor Audio Pro-65, BK P12-300 sub, Nvidia Shield, Vero 4K+, ATV 4K, Panasonic UB400, SKY Q, PS3, Wii, RPi, Sony XF90, Denon Heos soundbar, Amazon Echo, Logitech Harmony Elite
post #7920 of 9545 Old 03-19-2019, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sorry if this has been discussed - I tried a search and "ARC" is too short to bring anything up. Have the ARC issues been resolved somehow? I updated to Oreo a couple months ago and ever since I have random ARC issues, where the sound won't properly output to my AVR. It doesn't happen every time, but does happen a lot. I'd guess maybe 40-50% of the time. The TV never shows the "Switching to external speakers" message when this happens. A restart of both TV and AVR fixes it but sometimes it takes multiple restarts.

My AVR is a Sony STR-DN1050. Everything worked fine before the update. I'm actually considering doing a factory reset on the TV to go back to the prior version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page