2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 265 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4364Likes

post #7921 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnak View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed - I tried a search and "ARC" is too short to bring anything up. Have the ARC issues been resolved somehow? I updated to Oreo a couple months ago and ever since I have random ARC issues, where the sound won't properly output to my AVR. It doesn't happen every time, but does happen a lot. I'd guess maybe 40-50% of the time. The TV never shows the "Switching to external speakers" message when this happens. A restart of both TV and AVR fixes it but sometimes it takes multiple restarts.

My AVR is a Sony STR-DN1050. Everything worked fine before the update. I'm actually considering doing a factory reset on the TV to go back to the prior version.
***I'm not sure a factory reset will solve the problem as I do not believe a factory reset will enable you to go back to the previous software version. And, you'd lose all your settings. I still get random ARC dropouts where there is no sound but only with the internal apps. My AVR usually switches to "external speakers" without any problem although I have seen the issue with my earlier Sony 900E. Remote wise, I just use my Comcast remote, which turns on my TV and my AVR. My AVR is set to the "Cab/Satellite" Input when turned on. Perhaps an issue with "CEC?" Are you using a Harmony remote? If not, how are you starting up your system? I know this can be maddening as I went through it with my Sony 900E.

(And for internal app issues where ARC isn't working - Try this - just toggle from your Sony STR-DN1050 remote from one input back to TV (say BD/DVD then push TV.) Most of the time - - that fixes the problem for me. There can be a little time delay but then, voila - audio. (Or toggle from an empty input, so to say. In other words - something that isn't connected (HDMI-In) on your Sony STR-DN1050. I don't think "CEC" would turn on your BD/DVD Player if you toggled to that Sony AVR Input, but just in case.)

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 03-19-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am using a Harmony to control everything. I've tried rearranging the order that things power on, but that hasn't helped. Most of my equipment runs through the TV and then to the AVR via ARC. I'll try fiddling with the AVR inputs next time it happens and see if that fixes it.
post #7923 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys.

Here's my setup:
- Sony 75X900F
- Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar
- Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

The Blu-ray player runs to the Soundbar (HDMI2 in), then from there to the tv (HDMI3 in). My problem is last night I watched my first Dolby Vision BluRay ( Last Jedi ) and the player automatically switched to DV. Well the picture was all washed out. I checked the Picture settings on the TV and the TV switches from the 'Custom' mode ( calibrated by Best Buy dude ) and sets it to Dolby Vision and I can't change it to use the Custom profile.
I switched the player to turn off DV and the picture looked just great using HDR.

Would anyone have any thoughts on what I should do to fix this issue?

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7924 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max4swag View Post
Hey everyone ! First time posting on this forum, I am interested in purchasing this tv in 75 inch is there anything too look out for , for example panel issues clouding etc ? Any input would be appreciated Thanks !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
My advice...never go looking for issues!

There is no perfect panel, so if one looks hard enough they will undoubtedly find flaws.
@BRAC said it best, listen to him. Turn that bad boy on and enjoy that TV, if you see something from your seated distance, then look
BRAC likes this.
post #7925 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeirnes View Post
Hey guys.

Here's my setup:
- Sony 75X900F
- Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar
- Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

The Blu-ray player runs to the Soundbar (HDMI2 in), then from there to the tv (HDMI3 in). My problem is last night I watched my first Dolby Vision BluRay ( Last Jedi ) and the player automatically switched to DV. Well the picture was all washed out. I checked the Picture settings on the TV and the TV switches from the 'Custom' mode ( calibrated by Best Buy dude ) and sets it to Dolby Vision and I can't change it to use the Custom profile.
I switched the player to turn off DV and the picture looked just great using HDR.

Would anyone have any thoughts on what I should do to fix this issue?

Aaron
Dolby Vision has it's own profile mode when DV content is being displayed, you can write down and copy your custom settings to the DV profile. Those setting will then be applied when you watch DV content.

Note: Dolby Vision profile will set your Brightness and Contrast to max, and XDR to medium by deafut, all of which can be adjusted.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #7926 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am using a Harmony to control everything. I've tried rearranging the order that things power on, but that hasn't helped. Most of my equipment runs through the TV and then to the AVR via ARC. I'll try fiddling with the AVR inputs next time it happens and see if that fixes it.

***Question: Do you have cable or satellite? If cable, 4K set top box? If satellite, do you watch much 4K material? If it's cable and a non 4K box - - then I'd run everything through your receiver (HDMI 3 In for cable/satellite & HDMI 2 In for your Bluray Player.)

If you stream - are you using the internal apps? Or a separate streamer?

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #7927 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Quote:

***Question: Do you have cable or satellite? If cable, 4K set top box? If satellite, do you watch much 4K material? If it's cable and a non 4K box - - then I'd run everything through your receiver (HDMI 3 In for cable/satellite & HDMI 2 In for your Bluray Player.)

If you stream - are you using the internal apps? Or a separate streamer?
I do have a cable box, but the way my equipment is set up with the built in and location of the cable outlet, running everything through the AVR is not feasible. I also use the internal apps for streaming so I'd still run into the same issue.
post #7928 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do have a cable box, but the way my equipment is set up with the built in and location of the cable outlet, running everything through the AVR is not feasible. I also use the internal apps for streaming so I'd still run into the same issue.
***Yes and no. For internal apps - - the solution I suggested should work. I'm not sure why you couldn't run a thin HDMI cable from your outlet to your AVR unless you have an unusual setup, but you know best. Honestly - - if you could run your cable through your AVR - - that would solve your main issue. Plus - - with straight cable, the most you get from cable & broadcast TV stations is 5.1 audio. And, with cable audio going through your AVR and internal apps via ARC and the "TV" audio - - that should work better, as well. I had the Harmony Elite but sold it as it really didn't work well with my equipment - - at least not like in the past. Plus - - I rarely use my Bluray Player anymore - - I'm spoiled with Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos and upscaled streaming. Hope everything works out.

Home Theater Setup
post #7929 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
I have a 75 inch X900f and it works fine with the Direct TV 4k box. Only had set it once on the TV box.
Thanks for your reply. Could you tell me where you are located and what direct tv location you deal with?
I might be able to use this to correct my problem.
Thanks,
Oticon
post #7930 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
***Yes and no. For internal apps - - the solution I suggested should work. I'm not sure why you couldn't run a thin HDMI cable from your outlet to your AVR unless you have an unusual setup, but you know best. Honestly - - if you could run your cable through your AVR - - that would solve your main issue. Plus - - with straight cable, the most you get from cable & broadcast TV stations is 5.1 audio. And, with cable audio going through your AVR and internal apps via ARC and the "TV" audio - - that should work better, as well. I had the Harmony Elite but sold it as it really didn't work well with my equipment - - at least not like in the past. Plus - - I rarely use my Bluray Player anymore - - I'm spoiled with Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos and upscaled streaming. Hope everything works out.
The TV is wall mounted with the cable outlet directly behind. There is a small built in nook under the TV where I have the cable box, centre speaker, and Ps4. And blu ray. I already have one hdmi cable running from there to the AVR, which is in a cabinet. It's about 25' to run the cable, and I couldn't find a thin cable that long. So to run another hdmi cable back to the AVR isn't great.

And ARC is how the internal apps send sound to the AVR, so I still have the original problem that ARC is inconsistent.
post #7931 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The TV is wall mounted with the cable outlet directly behind. There is a small built in nook under the TV where I have the cable box, centre speaker, and Ps4. And blu ray. I already have one hdmi cable running from there to the AVR, which is in a cabinet. It's about 25' to run the cable, and I couldn't find a thin cable that long. So to run another hdmi cable back to the AVR isn't great.

And ARC is how the internal apps send sound to the AVR, so I still have the original problem that ARC is inconsistent.
***Somewhat confusing but let me see if I have this right. Your AVR must be 25 feet from your TV, correct? In a cabinet away from your other equipment. Every other component (cable box, center speaker, Ps4 & Bluray) is underneath your Sony 900F in a "nook." No possible way to relocate your AVR with all your other equipment? If not -

Is there an "optical out" on your cable box? If so, buy an inexpensive optical cable and connect it from your cable box to "Opt 1 - see diagram" on your AVR for your cable audio, which will be represented by "Cab/Sat" (and also assignable) on your AVR remote. All you do is press the "Cab/Sat" on your AVR remote and you will have cable audio from your AVR. The video from your cable is directly connected from your cable box, underneath the TV (nook), via HDMI to HDMI 3 "In" on your Sony 900F. (No change, I assume.)

The other solution should work for internal apps (toggling). You'll just have to live with the ARC problem until Sony fixes it. But this should provide worry free audio for your cable box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Optical Connection.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	2541450  

Home Theater Setup
post #7932 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by oticon View Post
Thanks for your reply. Could you tell me where you are located and what direct tv location you deal with?
I might be able to use this to correct my problem.
Thanks,
Oticon
Located in Naples Fl. For us here, I guess Fort Myers. I recently had 2 boxes changed to 4K. The main box had to be changed even though I have a non 4K plasma hooked up to it in my BR. The 4K tv is in my family room and that box used to be wireless but is now wired as DTV’s 4K boxes have to be hardwired.
post #7933 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
***Somewhat confusing but let me see if I have this right. Your AVR must be 25 feet from your TV, correct? In a cabinet away from your other equipment. Every other component (cable box, center speaker, Ps4 & Bluray) is underneath your Sony 900F in a "nook." No possible way to relocate your AVR with all your other equipment? If not -

Is there an "optical out" on your cable box? If so, buy an inexpensive optical cable and connect it from your cable box to "Opt 1 - see diagram" on your AVR for your cable audio, which will be represented by "Cab/Sat" (and also assignable) on your AVR remote. All you do is press the "Cab/Sat" on your AVR remote and you will have cable audio from your AVR. The video from your cable is directly connected from your cable box, underneath the TV (nook), via HDMI to HDMI 3 "In" on your Sony 900F. (No change, I assume.)

The other solution should work for internal apps (toggling). You'll just have to live with the ARC problem until Sony fixes it. But this should provide worry free audio for your cable box.

My question was how to fix ARC and the solution is don't use it. That sucks.

Are we certain that a factory reset won't roll me back to the previous version? I'm willing to try it but if someone else here has already bit the bullet and found that it didn't help, then I won't bother.
post #7934 of 9763 Old 03-19-2019, 04:45 PM

Liked: 0
Upscaling question regarding the 900F and Oppo 203

Hello. I could easily be mistaken -- but I think I heard the Oppo 203 upscales well --- and I know the 900F is known for good upscaling. So if I want to watch a blu ray or DVD ... do I have the Oppo or the 900F do the upscaling? Of note, Best Buy is delivering the 900F tomorrow (so I'm excited) and I have the Oppo 203 already. And does the Oppo or the 900F upscale automatically, or do I have to go to settings to make sure this happens. I could imagine, that the 900F may not want the Oppo to already do any upscaling first and it might want to work with the blu ray signal itself ... but again, I have no idea how this works. Many thanks!!
post #7935 of 9763 Old 03-20-2019, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Unfortunate that the ARC issues still exist. I'm still on the previous Android version and don't want to upgrade because I won't want to break ARC which is working perfectly for me.

Is there any way to disable the upgrade prompt that I get every time I turn the tv on or off? It's really annoying but again I don't want to break ARC.

Is there anyone on Oreo with an Onkyo RZ920 that is working fine with ARC?
post #7936 of 9763 Old 03-20-2019, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorka View Post
Unfortunate that the ARC issues still exist. I'm still on the previous Android version and don't want to upgrade because I won't want to break ARC which is working perfectly for me.

Is there any way to disable the upgrade prompt that I get every time I turn the tv on or off? It's really annoying but again I don't want to break ARC.

That's strange that you get a prompt every time you turn on the TV. I am still on the older OS and don't get the prompt but I also made sure to turn off the auto-update feature so maybe it has to do with that? I too am waiting to hear that the ARC issue is no longer a problem before i make the upgrade. I can live with the current UI for now.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #7937 of 9763 Old 03-20-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated Idiot View Post
That's strange that you get a prompt every time you turn on the TV. I am still on the older OS and don't get the prompt but I also made sure to turn off the auto-update feature so maybe it has to do with that? I too am waiting to hear that the ARC issue is no longer a problem before i make the upgrade. I can live with the current UI for now.

I almost certainly don't have auto update turned off. That said, if I found that setting and turned it off, would it likely un-stage the update or am I going to have to do a full factory reset to un-stage it?
post #7938 of 9763 Old 03-20-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I almost certainly don't have auto update turned off. That said, if I found that setting and turned it off, would it likely un-stage the update or am I going to have to do a full factory reset to un-stage it?
That is a good question but I would not think so; perhaps others could better address that though. You can for example download to USB thumb drive and update firmware via USB on tv although to be honest, my tv didn't like my USB drive. It turned out to be a blessing though because I heard about all the issues a few days later and decided to turn off auto-update and not attempt USB manual update myself until things hopefully get ironed out.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #7939 of 9763 Old 03-20-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I find that ARC works better with my older AVR with the new Oreo update. It's a mixed bag for users and I know Sony is aware of the issue. In the meantime, there are workarounds if you want to try them. As I mentioned earlier - - for ARC and Sony Android Internal Apps with an AVR - - toggling AVR "Inputs" can often reset the ARC connection and provide audio. Dolby Atmos audio via DD+ has been a nice surprise with Netflix and Amazon Prime (the latter having far less DV content & Atmos audio.)
Educated Idiot likes this.

Home Theater Setup

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 03-20-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #7940 of 9763 Old 03-20-2019, 03:31 PM

Liked: 6
Quote:

I updated to Oreo, with the 900f, and I do not have ARC issues.
post #7941 of 9763 Old 03-20-2019, 03:59 PM

Liked: 0

Hello. I could easily be mistaken -- but I think I heard the Oppo 203 upscales well --- and I know the 900F is known for good upscaling. So if I want to watch a blu ray or DVD ... do I have the Oppo or the 900F do the upscaling? Of note, Best Buy is delivering the 900F tomorrow (so I'm excited) and I have the Oppo 203 already. And does the Oppo or the 900F upscale automatically, or do I have to go to settings to make sure this happens. I could imagine, that the 900F may not want the Oppo to already do any upscaling first and it might want to work with the blu ray signal itself ... but again, I have no idea how this works. Many thanks!!
post #7942 of 9763 Old 03-20-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
OK - go to Settings and then External Inputs. Look at the "Customize TV Key" (I believe) and make sure it is set to the right HDMI Input on your Sony 900F - - which I believe is HDMI 3? I also think there is a way to have the TV "boot" to the Sony 900F HDMI Input you want but I can't remember it. See if the "Customize TV Key" solves that issue.
Sir,

Thanks much for the spoonfeeding.

I hope you win the lottery.
post #7943 of 9763 Old 03-20-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormxdad View Post
Sir,

Thanks much for the spoonfeeding.

I hope you win the lottery.
Thanks for your post. I hope it helped. Regarding the lottery, the odds are about the same whether you play or not...but, “Hope is a good thing,” as Andy Dufresne said in the Shawshank Redemption movie.

Home Theater Setup
post #7944 of 9763 Old 03-20-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erestrial Briggax View Post

I have an Oppo 203 but not connected to my 49 inch 900F. Personally I'd let the Oppo do what its good at, doing the Auto scaling as needed. If you play Dolby Vision disks you definitely want the Oppo to handle the heavy processing which the Sony can't handle. Oppo did a special firmware update to handle the Sony's poor DV disk processing. If you need help try the Oppo 203 thread for settings.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...-s-thread.html
Erestrial Briggax likes this.
post #7945 of 9763 Old 03-21-2019, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Just took delivery on a 900F and very happy with it. I was hoping someone could help me with an issue prior to wall mounting.

I thought I had read that the power cord was detachable. I was planning to just get a longer one so that I didn't need to install a new outlet. But now that I take a look at it, it's not a detachable cord (65"). So here's my dilemma: The wall Im mounting it on is slighly larger than the width of my fireplace, and my plan was to just run the cables (in a cable sheath the same color as the wall) along the side and back toward the available outlet. Im just not crazy about putting holes/outlets in this wall since I may not want the tv to always be mounted here.

Anyway, what would the best option be to get a long cord run here? Is it safe to just use a proper extension cord? I need about a 12' run to do what Im wanting to do. Any feedback is appreciated.
As long as you use the proper rated cord I don’t see any issues doing that.
Summa likes this.
post #7946 of 9763 Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oticon View Post
I am having s problem with Direct TV and hope someone may be able to help. When I go to a Direct TV 4K channel I get a message saying "your TV does not support 4K" He TV is a Sony 900f 85 and I have to go into the Direct box menu, settings, display, resolution and check the 4K box and it works, but next time I go to their 4k channels I have the same problem.
Direct TV has changed the box , which didn't help, and now claim it.s a software problem that they are working on.
If you have a solution to this problem i would certainly appreciate your help.
The only suggestion I have is to try different HDMI cables and make sure you are directly running it to the TV and not an HDMI Switch, AVR or etc. I’ve had the issue before but I haven’t seen it in a long time.
post #7947 of 9763 Old 03-21-2019, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kittle View Post
Quote:

I am not even getting the option to update. Still says my software is up to date and I am on the old Android Version. Do they just randomly send the update out?
post #7948 of 9763 Old 03-21-2019, 06:29 PM

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by charden37 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kittle View Post
Quote:

I am not even getting the option to update. Still says my software is up to date and I am on the old Android Version. Do they just randomly send the update out?
It is being rolled out over time. You will eventually get it. Maybe Sony is patching it, and has put it on hold for now.
post #7949 of 9763 Old 03-21-2019, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charden37 View Post
I believe they stopped rolling it out for automatic updates due to the issues with it and ARC and other things. If you want it you’d have to manually download it and install it via USB stick.
post #7950 of 9763 Old 03-21-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I believe they stopped rolling it out for automatic updates due to the issues with it and ARC and other things. If you want it you’d have to manually download it and install it via USB stick.
Indeed. I got home tonight determined to find a way to unstage the Oreo update because I'm sick and tired of bypassing the update prompt every time I turn the tv on AND off.....only to discover that it was already unstaged with a note from Sony that Oreo broke ARC and they are investigating it.

The have work arounds if you're already on Oreo that involve a 4 to 5 step process EVERY time you turn on your tv. Incredible. How did they not find this during testing????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page