2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 266 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4293Likes

post #7951 of 9518 Old 03-22-2019, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kittle View Post
I updated to Oreo, with the 900f, and I do not have ARC issues.
Same. No ARC issues for me with Oreo and Denon X6400H.
iMac1310 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7952 of 9518 Old 03-22-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorka View Post
Indeed. I got home tonight determined to find a way to unstage the Oreo update because I'm sick and tired of bypassing the update prompt every time I turn the tv on AND off.....only to discover that it was already unstaged with a note from Sony that Oreo broke ARC and they are investigating it.

The have work arounds if you're already on Oreo that involve a 4 to 5 step process EVERY time you turn on your tv. Incredible. How did they not find this during testing????

You assumed they tested it?....

Seggers
Ricoflashback likes this.

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #7953 of 9518 Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorka View Post
Indeed. I got home tonight determined to find a way to unstage the Oreo update because I'm sick and tired of bypassing the update prompt every time I turn the tv on AND off.....only to discover that it was already unstaged with a note from Sony that Oreo broke ARC and they are investigating it.

The have work arounds if you're already on Oreo that involve a 4 to 5 step process EVERY time you turn on your tv. Incredible. How did they not find this during testing????
I updated to it manually just after it launched and wish I hadn’t. Whenever I try to play a video file over my network or via USB that contains DTS audio the audio passthrough stops working and I have to restart the TV again to get ANY audio to my soundbar via optical. I’ve found workarounds for that using Plex or my AppleTV 4K, but I preferred using the native video player. I’m anxiously awaiting the next update to see if it fixes my issues with it. I have reported it but we’ll see as they’ve only acknowledged the ARC side of things publicly.

I don’t really understand why it’s taking them so long to release a new update that fixes the issues they are aware of, they’ve known about them for well over a month. It’s disappointing to me, but, I’m not ready to abandon Sony for my future needs just yet, I just hope they fix it within a semi reasonable timeframe and don’t make people wait 6 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7954 of 9518 Old 03-22-2019, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Another issue I've seen with Oreo -- I'm using Youtube TV for streaming live TV and since the update Stats For Nerds shows a large amount of dropped frames and there is noticeable judder. Internet connection is wired and fast. I have 2 other TVs in the house with Roku streaming sticks and both have 0 dropped frames after long periods of time. I'm hoping the next update resolves this as well. Sony support is clueless and not aware of the update, let alone a timeframe for the updates or its contents.

Last edited by Tag66; 03-22-2019 at 06:57 AM.
post #7955 of 9518 Old 03-22-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 6568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erestrial Briggax View Post
Upscaling question regarding the 900F and Oppo 203

Hello. I could easily be mistaken -- but I think I heard the Oppo 203 upscales well --- and I know the 900F is known for good upscaling. So if I want to watch a blu ray or DVD ... do I have the Oppo or the 900F do the upscaling?
Try them both, let us know what you think
post #7956 of 9518 Old 03-22-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I personally want to know if they're ever going to make the HDR settings (XDR, color space, etc) automatically turn on when watching HDR in YouTube.

Took them a year to finally support HDR but now we have to change the settings manually? Why can't Sony implement a fix properly?
post #7957 of 9518 Old 03-22-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Looks like YouTube HDR is fixed for the A9F and Z9F owners in their latest firmware release (this month). Hopefully, the lower models get the fix as well.
fgsouza likes this.
post #7958 of 9518 Old 03-22-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
As I mentioned in an earlier post. I did the update via USB on the day it was released. It actually fixed occasional internet connection issues, improved dv on Netflix and is more user friendly. I have no arc issues. The only issue I sometimes get is that everything turns on fine, avr gets the sound, but the tv thinks it's on tv speakers so won't control the sound on avr until I tell the tv to switch to external sound. I suspect it have more to do with my harmony remote not being set quite right with turn on times and sequence.
I notice that everybody blames the tv for arc but I suspect it might be more an issue with the devices not playing nice with the newer tv.
I just watched "the dirt" on Netflix. Atmos sound was awesome and the dv outstanding.
Totally happy with this panel. Far and away the best I've owned
post #7959 of 9518 Old 03-22-2019, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does anyone know how to stop the pop up you get when you attach a USB or External Hard Drive to the TV?

Where it takes up the whole screen and asks you if you want to open it with videos, pictures, use as storage, etc.
post #7960 of 9518 Old 03-22-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 20
How use PIP?

Am I able to put one HDMI input in the Picture in Picture while watching another?
post #7961 of 9518 Old 03-22-2019, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit21 View Post
Does anyone know how to stop the pop up you get when you attach a USB or External Hard Drive to the TV?

Where it takes up the whole screen and asks you if you want to open it with videos, pictures, use as storage, etc.
That bugged me too. I ended up just pulling the USB out and not using it since there’s so many other ways to play content on the TV.
post #7962 of 9518 Old 03-23-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've had my 65X900F for about 5 months with absolutely no issues. Updated to Oreo and have experienced none of the issues reported. Been a very happy camper. That is until this evening...

It keeps rebooting. Several times in a row. Then it stops. And just when you think it's okay, it does it again. Any ideas? I'm baffled!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #7963 of 9518 Old 03-23-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
I've had my 65X900F for about 5 months with absolutely no issues. Updated to Oreo and have experienced none of the issues reported. Been a very happy camper. That is until this evening...

It keeps rebooting. Several times in a row. Then it stops. And just when you think it's okay, it does it again. Any ideas? I'm baffled!

Try a hard reset, which is unplugging the power cord for 3 minutes then plugging back in. If you are still having problems, you might have to try a factory reset
post #7964 of 9518 Old 03-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Those owners with programmable activity based remotes like Harmony. Is there a way to keep the Sony tv from displaying the pop up menu during powering up for the first time of the day that says:

Switching audio to internal speakers
Switching audio to external speakers

I've messed with the Power on delay, inter key delay, input delay , inter-device delay and I cannot find a right combination.

I've also switched around the powering on boot sequence to let me AV receiver boot up first and ends with the Sony tv being the last device to get booted up so I doesn't have to wait on seeing the seeing the AV receiver and then when its not powered on switch speakers to external, but this didn't seem to help.

Oh, and BTW I'm using the latest update when it first came out by downloading it onto a USB flash drive and updated it that way and I do have any issues with the sound not coming through ARC, its just that the tv is switching from one (internal to external) audio speakers...bothers the hell out of me.

Ideas?

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-LX701
Main & Center Speakers : Phase Technology PC 3.5, & Surrounds
Amplifiers : Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, SVS SB3000 Subwoofer
MonsterPower HTS5100, Harmony Elite Remote
TV & Sources: Sony 75” 900F, Bluesound Node 2, Xbox One & Apple TV4K

Last edited by todd1010; 03-24-2019 at 10:44 AM.
post #7965 of 9518 Old 03-24-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Try a hard reset, which is unplugging the power cord for 3 minutes then plugging back in. If you are still having problems, you might have to try a factory reset
Thanks man!

Did the hard reset and it looked good for about 10 minutes. I was crossing fingers, toes, eyes, etc. Oh well.

Just finished FDR. What a PITA! Good thing I wrote everything down. But still...

I appreciate your guidance as always!

post #7966 of 9518 Old 03-24-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
Thanks man!

Did the hard reset and it looked good for about 10 minutes. I was crossing fingers, toes, eyes, etc. Oh well.

Just finished FDR. What a PITA! Good thing I wrote everything down. But still...

I appreciate your guidance as always!

Let us know if the factory reset fixes the problem
post #7967 of 9518 Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post
Those owners with programmable activity based remotes like Harmony. Is there a way to keep the Sony tv from displaying the pop up menu during powering up for the first time of the day that says:

I've messed with the Power on delay, inter key delay, input delay , inter-device delay and I cannot find a right combination.

I've also switched around the powering on boot sequence to let me AV receiver boot up first and ends with the Sony tv being the last device to get booted up so I doesn't have to wait on seeing the seeing the AV receiver and then when its not powered on switch speakers to external, but this didn't seem to help.

Oh, and BTW I'm using the latest update when it first came out by downloading it onto a USB flash drive and updated it that way and I do have any issues with the sound not coming through ARC, its just that the tv is switching from one (internal to external) audio speakers...bothers the hell out of me.

Ideas?
I don’t know if this will help but I was having the same problem. In my case it had to with more than one device turning on the tv. I had my xfinity remote powering up both the tv and my Bose 700 soundbar. As soon as I removed the soundbar from the xfinity power on command and let the tv control the Bose it fixed the issue. I’m assuming that the tv was getting more than one power on signal ... one from the xfinity remote and another from the Bose sending one via arc.
Sir_Mark likes this.
post #7968 of 9518 Old 03-24-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Does anybody know of a way to go straight to advanced settings on this tv. Pain in the... To get there. Can some of the buttons be mapped.
post #7969 of 9518 Old 03-24-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Let us know if the factory reset fixes the problem
Will do!

post #7970 of 9518 Old 03-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit21 View Post
I personally want to know if they're ever going to make the HDR settings (XDR, color space, etc) automatically turn on when watching HDR in YouTube.

Took them a year to finally support HDR but now we have to change the settings manually? Why can't Sony implement a fix properly?
It’s Google’s application maybe it’s their job to fix the issue.
post #7971 of 9518 Old 03-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
Quote:

Ideas?
I don’t know if this will help but I was having the same problem. In my case it had to with more than one device turning on the tv. I had my xfinity remote powering up both the tv and my Bose 700 soundbar. As soon as I removed the soundbar from the xfinity power on command and let the tv control the Bose it fixed the issue. I’m assuming that the tv was getting more than one power on signal ... one from the xfinity remote and another from the Bose sending one via arc.

Not sure I follow exactly but if you are taking about my AV receiver sending out a power on command through the CEC feature, I have that all turned off. Well at least any hdmi CEC that I can but still able to use ARC.

My Xfinity 4K box stays on all the time and as far as I know doesn’t have any hdmi CEC features.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-LX701
Main & Center Speakers : Phase Technology PC 3.5, & Surrounds
Amplifiers : Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, SVS SB3000 Subwoofer
MonsterPower HTS5100, Harmony Elite Remote
TV & Sources: Sony 75” 900F, Bluesound Node 2, Xbox One & Apple TV4K
post #7972 of 9518 Old 03-24-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Not sure I follow exactly but if you are taking about my AV receiver sending out a power on command through the CEC feature, I have that all turned off. Well at least any hdmi CEC that I can but still able to use ARC.

My Xfinity 4K box stays on all the time and as far as I know doesn’t have any hdmi CEC features.
I believe my issue was CEC related. I had the Xfinity remote turning on the tv and soundbar at the same time (using the X1 Remote Settings which is not CEC). My guess is that the tv would send another power on signal to the soundbar via CEC which caused the whole "switching audio to internal speakers" thing. A second later when the soundbar saw audio signal, it would switch back to "external speakers". As soon as I programed the Xfinity remote to only turn the tv on, it went away.
post #7973 of 9518 Old 03-25-2019, 06:52 AM

I cut the cord with cable and have been trying different streaming services for live TV. PS Vue streams smoothly (of course, it's Sony) but both YouTube TV and DirecTV Now have issues with dropping frames and judder. Seems this is a common issue since the Oreo update. I don't want to be limited to just PS Vue as I like YTTV the most, so may just bite the bullet and pick up either a Nvidia Shield or Apple TV 4k. I'm more of an Android person so naturally the Shield stands out to me more, but looking for some input from users with experience with either. Also, I read that the Shield does not support Dolby Vision, which is a bummer. Looking for any recommendations, thanks!
post #7974 of 9518 Old 03-25-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 921
How do I enable the pc mode so a keyboard or mouse wakes it with a PC? Developer mode?

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #7975 of 9518 Old 03-25-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag66 View Post
I cut the cord with cable and have been trying different streaming services for live TV. PS Vue streams smoothly (of course, it's Sony) but both YouTube TV and DirecTV Now have issues with dropping frames and judder. Seems this is a common issue since the Oreo update. I don't want to be limited to just PS Vue as I like YTTV the most, so may just bite the bullet and pick up either a Nvidia Shield or Apple TV 4k. I'm more of an Android person so naturally the Shield stands out to me more, but looking for some input from users with experience with either. Also, I read that the Shield does not support Dolby Vision, which is a bummer. Looking for any recommendations, thanks!
I have both. They each have pros/cons. For your stated needs, the ATV 4K is probably better for you. It's cheaper and supports Dolby Vision. Upscaling via the ATV4K is outstanding. The Shield will have gaming advantages and is probably better for local network file streaming. Neither of them support Youtube HDR but hopefully this will be fixed on the native Youtube app on the 900F.
post #7976 of 9518 Old 03-25-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I have both. They each have pros/cons. For your stated needs, the ATV 4K is probably better for you. It's cheaper and supports Dolby Vision. Upscaling via the ATV4K is outstanding. The Shield will have gaming advantages and is probably better for local network file streaming. Neither of them support Youtube HDR but hopefully this will be fixed on the native Youtube app on the 900F.

Thanks for the opinion. I'm not as interested in the gaming with the Shield but do use Plex for my movie collection. Would video quality be similar through both boxes? I find that the x900f is excellent at upscaling so I imagine letting it do the work would be best, no?
post #7977 of 9518 Old 03-25-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag66 View Post
Thanks for the opinion. I'm not as interested in the gaming with the Shield but do use Plex for my movie collection. Would video quality be similar through both boxes? I find that the x900f is excellent at upscaling so I imagine letting it do the work would be best, no?
I find that the Shield is darker in picture quality but still very good. Unfortunately ATV 4K doesn't have a native resolution option and the recommended practice is to set the default output to 4K SDR, with matching frame rate and dynamic range turned on.

YMMV but I would view the Android TV interface of the Shield as somewhat redundant to the Sony TV operating system. You already own many of the benefits of Android TV on the 900F. Meaning the ATV 4K would serve to broaden the scope of your capabilities.
post #7978 of 9518 Old 03-26-2019, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I have one little problem on mu Sony 900f - I have connected tv with sony receiver dh590 and watch movies from pc, the picture is wonderfull, 4k, everything is perfect but from time to time (about ones or twice on a movie) on the screen appears information with screen resolution and disappears after 2 seconds.
post #7979 of 9518 Old 03-26-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone had problems with the FandangoNow app saying "UHD playback not supported"? After multiple support emails, I was finally given a number to call and they ended up telling me that message comes up when you don't have enough bandwidth. My 900f is hardwired and our internet is 80mb, so it shouldn't be an issue. Every other UHD streaming service plays buttery smooth right out of the gate.

I assume this is something else related to the Oreo update. Anyone else have this problem?

\m/
post #7980 of 9518 Old 03-26-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdigital View Post
Has anyone had problems with the FandangoNow app saying "UHD playback not supported"? After multiple support emails, I was finally given a number to call and they ended up telling me that message comes up when you don't have enough bandwidth. My 900f is hardwired and our internet is 80mb, so it shouldn't be an issue. Every other UHD streaming service plays buttery smooth right out of the gate.

I assume this is something else related to the Oreo update. Anyone else have this problem?
UHD doesn't work for me on Fandangonow either. I didn't try it pre Oreo but others have reported that it used to work properly. Seems to me that Fandangonow needs to update their app for Oreo, which seems to be a common occurrence with Android TV.

Workaround is to link your Fandangonow account to Movies Anywhere if you haven't already, and watch on another app like Vudu.
jtrippe and rgdigital like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page