2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 268 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4308Likes

post #8011 of 9569 Old 03-28-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6586 Post(s)
Liked: 6585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***If you go with a Denon, I'd recommend increasing your budget to pickup the AVR-X4500H. And Denon AVR's can run "hot," so I'd suggest a small investment in AC Infinity Dual Fans with a separate power adapter with the thermostat. It will definitely increase the longevity of your AVR.
Those are very sweet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 9569 Old 03-28-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So what do you think the odds are of the X900F getting the software updated to support Auto Low Latency Mode and Dolby Vision via the Xbox One? I have a TCL TV that is about a 1/4 of the cost of this thing and it just got updated to support both these items the other day. Come on Sony, your move!

Edit: I should clarify that this is only for streaming Dolby Vision material as the Xbox doesn't have Dolby vision disc playback yet (if ever?). Also, yes, it does the same thing that it does elsewhere, forces everything to Dolby Vision within Netflix which obviously is horrible for 95% of the content. So a big fat nothing to see here for this part. Haha

The ALLM is really nice though, no more need to toggle game mode on and off between films and games. Hopefully Sony will follow suit since it is possible over HDMI 2.0 apparently.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.

Last edited by Educated Idiot; 03-28-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #8013 of 9569 Old 03-28-2019, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Forgive me if it's been answered somewhere in here but search isn't very good and picks out similar but not same questions.

I have an old receiver that has zero and I mean zero support for LPCM. If signal isn't bit stream you don't get surround sound, period. Now add in an Apple TV 4k which has no optical out and will NOT output anything as bitstream. Now the problem with 900F from what I gather so far, it only does pass through, period. If signal is bit stream it's happy to pass that on but if signal is LPCM, you can't get it to re-encode it as bitstream.

Is there no real clean solution for this that doesn't involve replacing receiver (which also in my case means replacing all speakers and probably adding a whole new mess since newer recievers want everything go through HDMI and through receiver and one connection to tv (i HATE that, I like having diff video settings for diff inputs and don't want added latency of additional device pass through). I just want a setup where everything hooks up to tv, and tv's output to receiver is actually 5.1 surround.

They've really over complicated technology for audio in recent years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8014 of 9569 Old 03-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag66 View Post
I cut the cord with cable and have been trying different streaming services for live TV. PS Vue streams smoothly (of course, it's Sony) but both YouTube TV and DirecTV Now have issues with dropping frames and judder. Seems this is a common issue since the Oreo update. I don't want to be limited to just PS Vue as I like YTTV the most, so may just bite the bullet and pick up either a Nvidia Shield or Apple TV 4k. I'm more of an Android person so naturally the Shield stands out to me more, but looking for some input from users with experience with either. Also, I read that the Shield does not support Dolby Vision, which is a bummer. Looking for any recommendations, thanks!
I had a similar experience with YouTubeTV and gave Hulu live TV a shot and had no issues. I only used a trial so didn’t use it too extensively though.

I personally went with an AppleTV 4K due to it having dynamic range and frame rate matching. Anything I read suggested you’d have to do it manually on the Shield but since I didn’t buy one I can’t confirm. What I can say is that the AppleTV 4K is a great device and I’d consider another one for the bedroom someday.
post #8015 of 9569 Old 03-29-2019, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Channel guide

Hi guys,

I got my 900F about a month or 2 ago. Using it with OTA TV. My problem is with the channel guide. There are 2 things that bug me. 1 is that the guide doesn't show all the channels and 2. It will not show all the information for some of the channels that it does show. My previous LG TV, when using the info button, would show information for the channels, while on a channel and you could bump it to the next program on the channel.

With the Sony there are channels, the LG would show information for, that the Sony doesn't show any information in the guide. Now the 900F WILL show information about the show, on the channel, when you select and view that channel. However, you can't bump it to see the next show on that channel.

Am I missing a setting or is it just because it's on OTA and not on cable?

Thanks
post #8016 of 9569 Old 03-29-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I had a similar experience with YouTubeTV and gave Hulu live TV a shot and had no issues. I only used a trial so didn’t use it too extensively though.

I personally went with an AppleTV 4K due to it having dynamic range and frame rate matching. Anything I read suggested you’d have to do it manually on the Shield but since I didn’t buy one I can’t confirm. What I can say is that the AppleTV 4K is a great device and I’d consider another one for the bedroom someday.

I didn't think Hulu Live TV was available on Android TV. Did you sideload it? I currently have a trial of DirecTV Now (2 days left to get a 1 month free trial!) and was able to sideload it fairly easily. The same judder/dropped frame issue exists with this as well. Shame on Sony for not having any updates to faulty firmware that was released over 2 months ago.

I'm planning on getting an ATV4K based on yours and PlanetAVS informative input. Thanks!
post #8017 of 9569 Old 03-29-2019, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
I didn't think Hulu Live TV was available on Android TV. Did you sideload it? I currently have a trial of DirecTV Now (2 days left to get a 1 month free trial!) and was able to sideload it fairly easily. The same judder/dropped frame issue exists with this as well. Shame on Sony for not having any updates to faulty firmware that was released over 2 months ago.

I'm planning on getting an ATV4K based on yours and PlanetAVS informative input. Thanks!
I have the Hulu app on my 900e and I definitely didn't sideload it. A quick check of the play store shows Hulu for Android TV.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #8018 of 9569 Old 03-29-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
I have the Hulu app on my 900e and I definitely didn't sideload it. A quick check of the play store shows Hulu for Android TV.

The thing is I'm looking for live TV network streaming and according to their support page it's not supported on our Sonys:

You can download the classic Hulu app on the Android TV models listed below. All viewers can use these devices to watch videos from the Hulu streaming library, but they will not have access to certain features, Premium Add-ons, or live TV.
  • Google Nexus Player
  • Sony Bravia with Android TV
  • Razer Forge
  • Nvidia Shield
  • Xiaomi Mi Box
post #8019 of 9569 Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There's something I don't get about the picture mode settings, maybe you guys can shed some light.

My Custom mode seems to carry over different inputs on my TV without any setting changed. My Cinema Pro mode however, which I modified a bit and use for cable TV, seems to reset to default settings when I switch to another input. Are these modes supposed to hold separate settings per input? I.e. I can have one modified Cinema Pro mode for my cable TV and a slightly different Cinema Pro mode for PC?

Also, does it matter for the storing of the settings if I modify a mode via Action Menu or via Settings?

And lastly, I route several video inputs through my receiver (PC and PS4 for the moment), which for the TV are one and the same input, so I guess I cannot set separate picture modes for PC and PS4 and I am left with the Auto Picture mode setting?

Cheers!

PS4 Pro

Last edited by lyubohar; 03-29-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #8020 of 9569 Old 03-29-2019, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibvel View Post
Hi guys,

I got my 900F about a month or 2 ago. Using it with OTA TV. My problem is with the channel guide. There are 2 things that bug me. 1 is that the guide doesn't show all the channels and 2. It will not show all the information for some of the channels that it does show. My previous LG TV, when using the info button, would show information for the channels, while on a channel and you could bump it to the next program on the channel.

With the Sony there are channels, the LG would show information for, that the Sony doesn't show any information in the guide. Now the 900F WILL show information about the show, on the channel, when you select and view that channel. However, you can't bump it to see the next show on that channel.

Am I missing a setting or is it just because it's on OTA and not on cable?

Thanks
I have similar issues with some of my channels. Local CBC English station for example shows no program Information in the guide for this channel, yet if I am viewing the channel and use the Display button on the remote it will showing me program information. Local CTV station has the same issue, and CHCH channel is the reverse with program information in the guide but says there is no program information when I am viewing that channel and use the Display button on the remote.

i am not aware of anyway to view the next program when using the Display button when watching a specific channel and I do miss that option from my old Samsung that the Sony replaced.
post #8021 of 9569 Old 03-29-2019, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Viewing Angles

I have had my 65" X900F for about a month now and while I love it, when I am sitting at my table working and watching it from this angle it appears that the picture clouds up around the people and in the corners. Sometimes it comes in as almost a black cloud coming out of the corners and other times almost like a halo around people. I have attached a picture of the angle I sit at. When I am in front of the tv it doesn't seem to be an issue. Is this a panel issue or something to get used to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190329_190534[480].jpg
Views:	132
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	2546042  
post #8022 of 9569 Old 03-29-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Nothing unusual at that angle with LCD TVs using VA tech.
CaptinCrunch and charden37 like this.

Spoiler!
post #8023 of 9569 Old 03-30-2019, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

You are correct. I believe I only used Hulu Live TV via my Apple TV. I bought the Apple TV to get around not getting proper DTS passthrough using the TVs native video app since Oreo and now I use it for everything except Netflix and YouTube itself.

I have a 55” TCL R617 in my bedroom and had the same issue with YouTubeTV on the built in Roku. The Hulu Live TV was alright in there though. The Apple TV is definitely better at least to me for most things.

If Sony wouldn’t have broken what I used their native video app for I probably wouldn’t have bought the Apple TV though. I find the Android TV runs everything else I use fine. I’m still using Directv satellite until they quit giving me discounts to keep it after that I imagine the Apple TV will see heavy usage.
post #8024 of 9569 Old 03-30-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhenryatgmail View Post
I have similar issues with some of my channels. Local CBC English station for example shows no program Information in the guide for this channel, yet if I am viewing the channel and use the Display button on the remote it will showing me program information. Local CTV station has the same issue, and CHCH channel is the reverse with program information in the guide but says there is no program information when I am viewing that channel and use the Display button on the remote.

i am not aware of anyway to view the next program when using the Display button when watching a specific channel and I do miss that option from my old Samsung that the Sony replaced.
Same here in Ottawa. Bought the TV in October of last year and everything worked perfectly with the original firmware. Upgraded the TV and it's now as described by others. Hopefully the firmware Sony pulled will have a fix.
post #8025 of 9569 Old 03-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassLake View Post
Same here in Ottawa. Bought the TV in October of last year and everything worked perfectly with the original firmware. Upgraded the TV and it's now as described by others. Hopefully the firmware Sony pulled will have a fix.
I'm in Russell ON so picking up the Ottawa stations as well as some US stations from upstate NY. I have the Oreo firmware on my 900F that they pulled in Feb. and it unfortunately doesn't fix the issue. I do still hope it gets fixed by whatever they end up putting back up for Oreo firmware.

I also hope the next firmware fixes the problem with the channel numbers that currently get messed up when switching channels quickly using the CH up or down buttons on the remote. While channel surfing I will stop for example on 28.2 (CBS) but the screen will display some other channel (for example 69) and so instead of it going down to 28.1 (Fox) when I push the Channel down button on the remote it takes me to 65.1 (CityTV).

I do still like this TV and was considering getting another 900F to replace my ancient Sharp TV in the family room but these minor bugs in the functionality of the 900F are irritating. I am going to wait until I see some more reviews of this years new TVs before deciding if I am going to stick with Sony for my next TV purchase.
post #8026 of 9569 Old 03-30-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Sony is taking their sweet time (2+ months) to release an updated fw fix for 6.5830........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #8027 of 9569 Old 03-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The fandango now app is now fixed and you can play 4K titles again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rgdigital and Educated Idiot like this.

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #8028 of 9569 Old 03-30-2019, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
The fandango now app is now fixed and you can play 4K titles again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mine still says UHD playback not supported on the onboard app.
post #8029 of 9569 Old 03-31-2019, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Imax Enhanced?

Question when I watched Aquaman the other night on my 75x900f it appeared to be letterboxed.
My understanding is its Imax enhanced.... Is there a mode I should be setting on the TV or do I need to do a firmware update to get Imax Mode on the TV? I havent updated firmware since May 2018 except to get Dolby vision because of potential gremlins.

I just want to make sure I am using this feature right supposedly its supposed to use all the screen?
Everywhere I look online its very vague and no photos of the "mode" if there even is one.

Thanks
post #8030 of 9569 Old 03-31-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7brand View Post
Imax Enhanced?

Question when I watched Aquaman the other night on my 75x900f it appeared to be letterboxed.
My understanding is its Imax enhanced.... Is there a mode I should be setting on the TV or do I need to do a firmware update to get Imax Mode on the TV? I havent updated firmware since May 2018 except to get Dolby vision because of potential gremlins.

I just want to make sure I am using this feature right supposedly its supposed to use all the screen?
Everywhere I look online its very vague and no photos of the "mode" if there even is one.

Thanks
Where does it say its IMAX enhanced?? I did not know this. during playback with x700, it plays pretty much in full screen, with minor cropping here and there when aspect ratio changes...
post #8031 of 9569 Old 03-31-2019, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG View Post
Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone would have any thoughts on how the 900F would compare to an older Panasonic Vierra 1080P Plasma? I currently have the latter in a 50 inch, but am strongly considering an upgrade to a larger set and to be in a position where I can take advantage of 4K content. I sit about 9 feet away from my screen and am leaning towards a 65 inch.

Current viewing habits are primarily Netflix and Apple TV streaming, Blu-ray movies and sports. I suspect they would stay the same with the exception of adding in 4K content where possible. I have no complaints at all with the picture quality of the Vierra. It's been an awesome TV, would just like something larger.

The room where the TV would go is not overly bright and most of my viewing takes place in the evening.

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone may have.

Thanks!
I moved from a 2011 panny vt60...65inch. it was a really great panel but did have its niggles. I picked up a 75" about a month ago and have been amazed every day I watch it. of course, no panel is perfect; this also has its niggles as well. the things that I noticed with much more impact now is the general brightness and contrast is way higher, better color range, and of course 4k resolution..I stream yt from the x700 frequently for UHD material and it looks incredible. you won't regret it!
Swoosh830 likes this.
post #8032 of 9569 Old 03-31-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Question. I have this set and Xbox One X. Just got Aquaman 4K Blu-ray Ray yesterday. How do I watch it in Dolby Vision? I feel so stupid since it only seems to be showing in HDR. I have hdmi set to enhanced in tv settings and both HDR and Dolby Vision selected in Xbox settings.
post #8033 of 9569 Old 03-31-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 1886
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
Question. I have this set and Xbox One X. Just got Aquaman 4K Blu-ray Ray yesterday. How do I watch it in Dolby Vision? I feel so stupid since it only seems to be showing in HDR. I have hdmi set to enhanced in tv settings and both HDR and Dolby Vision selected in Xbox settings.
Xbox One X only supports Dolby Vision via streaming. The disc player will only provide HDR10 output
Sensamix likes this.
post #8034 of 9569 Old 03-31-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
Xbox One X only supports Dolby Vision via streaming. The disc player will only provide HDR10 output
Oh man that is a complete bummer and I had no idea. I hope they add it some time down the road. Not going to buy another 4K Blu-ray player just for Dolby Vision as well. Thanks for the response!
post #8035 of 9569 Old 03-31-2019, 06:23 PM
NMG

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshoodragon View Post
I moved from a 2011 panny vt60...65inch. it was a really great panel but did have its niggles. I picked up a 75" about a month ago and have been amazed every day I watch it. of course, no panel is perfect; this also has its niggles as well. the things that I noticed with much more impact now is the general brightness and contrast is way higher, better color range, and of course 4k resolution..I stream yt from the x700 frequently for UHD material and it looks incredible. you won't regret it!
I can't wait! Placed my order on the weekend, and should have it this week. Already have the new Apple TV 4K hooked up and ready to go . I'll be sure to post an update once I have everything hooked up.
NCGoldwinger likes this.
post #8036 of 9569 Old 03-31-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
I cut the cord with cable and have been trying different streaming services for live TV. PS Vue streams smoothly (of course, it's Sony) but both YouTube TV and DirecTV Now have issues with dropping frames and judder. Seems this is a common issue since the Oreo update. I don't want to be limited to just PS Vue as I like YTTV the most, so may just bite the bullet and pick up either a Nvidia Shield or Apple TV 4k. I'm more of an Android person so naturally the Shield stands out to me more, but looking for some input from users with experience with either. Also, I read that the Shield does not support Dolby Vision, which is a bummer. Looking for any recommendations, thanks!
Im afraid I experienced the same issue with the 900E after the Oreo update with YTTV, DTVNow (sideload) and PSVue. I guess at least Vue works ok for you on the 900F unlike the 900E. All these apps exhibit judder and dropping frames, particularly noticeable on sport and live news with the scrolling ticker. Oreo definitly broke it.

I gave up waiting for a fix and bought a Apple TV. It’s perfect on all those apps. Pitty Oreo broke things.
post #8037 of 9569 Old 04-01-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
I'm in Russell ON so picking up the Ottawa stations as well as some US stations from upstate NY. I have the Oreo firmware on my 900F that they pulled in Feb. and it unfortunately doesn't fix the issue. I do still hope it gets fixed by whatever they end up putting back up for Oreo firmware.

I also hope the next firmware fixes the problem with the channel numbers that currently get messed up when switching channels quickly using the CH up or down buttons on the remote. While channel surfing I will stop for example on 28.2 (CBS) but the screen will display some other channel (for example 69) and so instead of it going down to 28.1 (Fox) when I push the Channel down button on the remote it takes me to 65.1 (CityTV).

I do still like this TV and was considering getting another 900F to replace my ancient Sharp TV in the family room but these minor bugs in the functionality of the 900F are irritating. I am going to wait until I see some more reviews of this years new TVs before deciding if I am going to stick with Sony for my next TV purchase.
Oddly TVO and a couple French stations have the info in the Guide and when you press display. CTV, CBC and Global are blank in the guide but sometimes do provide info when display is pressed. So is it Sony at fault here or the providers?
post #8038 of 9569 Old 04-01-2019, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Does this TV pass ATMOS from an HDMI source to a sound bar? I just picked up a Sony Atmos sound bar and have a Sony x700 blu ray player on one of the enhanced HDMI ports. The sound bar doesn't show ATMOS when playing Aquaman 4k, for example. However, when I play Aquaman 4k through Vudu on the TV app it shows as ATMOS. It at least passes ATMOS through ARC from the android TV apps. I'm just trying to figure out of it's a setting in my BR player or the TV doesn't pass ATMOS.

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #8039 of 9569 Old 04-01-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassLake View Post
Oddly TVO and a couple French stations have the info in the Guide and when you press display. CTV, CBC and Global are blank in the guide but sometimes do provide info when display is pressed. So is it Sony at fault here or the providers?
I think the issue is with Sony's firmware. It used to work properly with older versions of the firmware from what I understand but I haven't seen that myself as I only got my 900F a couple of months ago. Also I have Samsung, and Sharp TVs as well as an old CM7000PAL DVR that all display guide info correctly for all channels that have guide info.

You sure about Global? I haven't seen any guide data for Global on any of my TV's for several months.
post #8040 of 9569 Old 04-01-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I think the issue is with Sony's firmware. It used to work properly with older versions of the firmware from what I understand but I haven't seen that myself as I only got my 900F a couple of months ago. Also I have Samsung, and Sharp TVs as well as an old CM7000PAL DVR that all display guide info correctly for all channels that have guide info.

You sure about Global? I haven't seen any guide data for Global on any of my TV's for several months.
By golly you're right there's no data for Global. Must've been thinking of days gone by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page