2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 271 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4351Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8101 of 9719 Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Senior Member
 
toomanytvstosee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Just pulled the trigger on the 85 and look forward to being part of the club
toomanytvstosee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8102 of 9719 Old 04-05-2019, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
CaptinCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
Just pulled the trigger on the 85 and look forward to being part of the club
Awesome, make sure to visit the X900F Settings thread here for all your setup needs!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...gs-thread.html

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
CaptinCrunch is offline  
post #8103 of 9719 Old 04-05-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,012
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
naustin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8104 of 9719 Old 04-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafffster View Post
That's definitely a bit heavier duty than I'm looking for... at $449, that's way out of my price range for this quality of life upgrade.. If a switcher claims to be compliant with HDMI 2.0, should it be compatible with the standard 4K resolutions and HDR ranges?
On eBay you’ll find HDMI switches by awakelion that should be able to do the job. Could be worth trying one. I’ve used awakelion switches in the past and didn’t have any issues but don’t have a need for a new one as I don’t need that many 18gbps ports yet. I have one of their older models still in use and it hasn’t given me any issues in the years I’ve had it. It will simply just passthrough what it is given and that’s it.

According to the seller via their answer in the questions section on amazon it supports Dolby Vision.

Here is the one from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-FiveHome-Switcher-Wireless-Support/dp/B076XWNQP9/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=awakelion+hdmi+switch&qid=1554 513992&s=gateway&sr=8-4
acphydro is offline  
post #8105 of 9719 Old 04-06-2019, 06:03 AM
Member
 
bugtussle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I don't know if this has been posted previously, but Sony has added a SPECIAL ALERT to the Oreo firmware download page on their website, advising that Oreo has a problem, and not to instal it if you need ARC to work without issues. This explains the issues I have been having with Bravia Sync losing its connection and requiring 15-20 minutes of messing with the settings to recover it every time I restart the TV.

"About this download

SPECIAL ALERT: If you are using a Home Theater system (Sound Bar, A/V Receiver, etc.) to output the sound from your TV, we strongly recommend that you not install this update yet. With this software version and some Home Theater systems, an issue may occur where you will not hear sound through your Home Theater system if the TV remains on standby for too long. While workarounds are available, we recommend you wait until the next update, which will resolve this issue.

NOTE: If the update is already installed on your TV and this problem occurs, follow the steps in this article to fix it."


https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00223949
I have been having these no sound problems every day and its getting old real fast. If there was any way I could get a refund on the 55X900F TV I would gladly do it. I'm using a new Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver which I have a AppleTV and Roku box connected to. The Roku box has been a real problem with the sound not working when i switch to it. My work around for that was to plug it directly into the TV hdmi port 3. Can someone tell me if doing a factory reset on the TV will roll it back to the original firmware?



[Display: Sony XBR55900F / Receiver: Yamaha TSR-7850 / 2-Parasound HCA-800II bridged, powering fronts / CD: Harmon/Kardon FL 8550 / Blu-Ray: SONY UBP-X700 / Mains: Ascend CBM-170 SE / Center: Ascend CMT-340 SE / Rears: Ascend CBM-170 SE / Subwoofers: SVS SB12-NSD X 2 ]
bugtussle is offline  
post #8106 of 9719 Old 04-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Anderegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Factory resetting the TV will simply restore the current firmware, or "operating system" if you will, to default settings and clears all the data and caches. I did a factory reset when I started having the major ARC issues, but all that did was cause me to have to reinput all my calibrations which took half an hour, but didn't resolve the ARC issue, because Sony is saying they messed up the code. I have a Sony TV and Sony receiver, both 2018 models, bought into Sony to ASSURE ARC compatibility...ugh.

I would suggest sticking it out with the X900F, wait for the next firmware fix they promised, and then look forward to the X900H (2020) or whatever, with probably 1300nit HDR, eARC for HD audio passthrough HDMI 2.1 etc. :-)

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugtussle View Post
I have been having these no sound problems every day and its getting old real fast. If there was any way I could get a refund on the 55X900F TV I would gladly do it. I'm using a new Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver which I have a AppleTV and Roku box connected to. The Roku box has been a real problem with the sound not working when i switch to it. My work around for that was to plug it directly into the TV hdmi port 3. Can someone tell me if doing a factory reset on the TV will roll it back to the original firmware?
bugtussle likes this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
Anderegg is offline  
post #8107 of 9719 Old 04-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Member
 
bugtussle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Factory resetting the TV will simply restore the current firmware, or "operating system" if you will, to default settings and clears all the data and caches. I did a factory reset when I started having the major ARC issues, but all that did was cause me to have to reinput all my calibrations which took half an hour, but didn't resolve the ARC issue, because Sony is saying they messed up the code. I have a Sony TV and Sony receiver, both 2018 models, bought into Sony to ASSURE ARC compatibility...ugh.

I would suggest sticking it out with the X900F, wait for the next firmware fix they promised, and then look forward to the X900H (2020) or whatever, with probably 1300nit HDR, eARC for HD audio passthrough HDMI 2.1 etc. :-)

Paul
Thanks for the input. It looks like I will be sticking with the 900F as I know I could never get a refund from Sony because of this issue. Interesting that you have the same problem with the Sony receiver. I came close to buying the 1080 I think it was after having trouble with my first Yamaha. I hope it won't be long before the fix. This makes me a little nervous about buying another Sony anything.



[Display: Sony XBR55900F / Receiver: Yamaha TSR-7850 / 2-Parasound HCA-800II bridged, powering fronts / CD: Harmon/Kardon FL 8550 / Blu-Ray: SONY UBP-X700 / Mains: Ascend CBM-170 SE / Center: Ascend CMT-340 SE / Rears: Ascend CBM-170 SE / Subwoofers: SVS SB12-NSD X 2 ]
bugtussle is offline  
post #8108 of 9719 Old 04-06-2019, 09:46 AM
Member
 
Snow02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugtussle View Post
I have been having these no sound problems every day and its getting old real fast. If there was any way I could get a refund on the 55X900F TV I would gladly do it. I'm using a new Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver which I have a AppleTV and Roku box connected to. The Roku box has been a real problem with the sound not working when i switch to it. My work around for that was to plug it directly into the TV hdmi port 3. Can someone tell me if doing a factory reset on the TV will roll it back to the original firmware?
Same here. I'm submitting a warranty claim as I'm still under a year from purchase. They'll likely deny the claim, but I'm getting something documented. TV worked perfectly fine before the update. The tv in its current state with the Oreo update is defective.

Called support again a couple days ago to get an update on a fix for this, and they claim they still aren't sure what's causing the issue. 2-3 months is plenty of time to come up with a fix. Completely unacceptable.
Snow02 is offline  
post #8109 of 9719 Old 04-06-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,544
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow02 View Post
Same here. I'm submitting a warranty claim as I'm still under a year from purchase. They'll likely deny the claim, but I'm getting something documented. TV worked perfectly fine before the update. The tv in its current state with the Oreo update is defective.

Called support again a couple days ago to get an update on a fix for this, and they claim they still aren't sure what's causing the issue. 2-3 months is plenty of time to come up with a fix. Completely unacceptable.
No way top roll back the update?
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #8110 of 9719 Old 04-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Member
 
Snow02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
No way top roll back the update?
Support claims there's no way to roll it back, correct. If there was, I'm sure they would have provided it already. I've been in regular contact with them over the last couple months.
Snow02 is offline  
post #8111 of 9719 Old 04-06-2019, 01:16 PM
NTC
Senior Member
 
NTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Aabama, USA
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow02 View Post
Support claims there's no way to roll it back, correct. If there was, I'm sure they would have provided it already. I've been in regular contact with them over the last couple months.

I have replaced a couple of TV mainboards on other brands, and they came with older or original firmware versions. Swapping out the Sony's is probably the only way to go and then download the last firmware version you liked, they are still available for download if you remembered the direct link..


But if the TV picture is not completely broke, why would anyone want to try this. Easiest way to roll back is to not roll forward.
NTC is offline  
post #8112 of 9719 Old 04-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Senior Member
 
jimmyp1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I was told by the customer care that a new firmware will be soon released. Will it fix the Oreo problems? I don’t know! Furthermore I am in contact with them because I am not able to change the settings of my display menu I mean the aspect ratio and screen adjustments. I am sure I could do that before installing the Oreo. Is there anyone else experiencing the locked screen adjustments menu? Thank you
jimmyp1974 is offline  
post #8113 of 9719 Old 04-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey guys ! This is my first post on this forum , I finally purchased a 75 inch 900f and love it I went from a 2015 xbr65x850c to this bad boy and have no regrets ! Amazing tv I’m glad to be a part of this community!!
geoffrsc and rgdigital like this.
Max4swag is offline  
post #8114 of 9719 Old 04-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Member
 
rothlike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since my Yamaha receiver is older and doesn't support 4k etc I thought I'd try plugging my Tivo Bolt into the TV directly so it will display the stuff Yamaha doesn't support, but the audio goes back to the receiver as PCM, not Dolby Digital, what an I doing wrong?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Cheers! Big Rich
rothlike is online now  
post #8115 of 9719 Old 04-06-2019, 08:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey folks,
Have you experienced quick bright blink when scene changes from brighter to darker? It is very quick, but still it can be noticed, at least by me.
I tried switch to different modes, but only on game mode it does not appear. However, on game mode motion is far from good when watching movies (I mean watching movies with lower frame rate, when testing YouTube video in 60fps motion is excellent...). Btw, I've noticed also that when on game mode picture seems to be crispier compared to any other mode and I think there is not to much blooming at least around subtitles....
Any suggestions?
mbunio is offline  
post #8116 of 9719 Old 04-07-2019, 01:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,
I am on my third set. The first one developed a TCON error a month after the purchase. It was exchanged for the second one that had multiple dead pixels. I have just received a third one that appears to have one dead pixel close to the edge of the TV screen that doesn’t bother me but also has another one in the centre of the screen.

At a half meter (1.5 ft) distance, it looks like a dead pixel, but when I took a picture from a close distance (5 cm) and when I zoomed in the picture, seems that it doesn’t have a regular shape. Can anyone distinguish if it’s a dead pixel or dust/dirt under the screen?
Here are some pictures and I would appreciate if you could help me.

Frankly, I am tired of exchanging these TV sets as there are obviously quality control issues. All sets were made in Nov 2018 in Mexico (although I have no idea who is the manufacturer of the TV panels).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02507.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	2549982   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02508.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2549984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02509.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	2549986   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02510.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	2549988  
AvidanS is offline  
post #8117 of 9719 Old 04-07-2019, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
js950's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidanS View Post
Hi everyone,
I am on my third set. The first one developed a TCON error a month after the purchase. It was exchanged for the second one that had multiple dead pixels. I have just received a third one that appears to have one dead pixel close to the edge of the TV screen that doesn’t bother me but also has another one in the centre of the screen.

At a half meter (1.5 ft) distance, it looks like a dead pixel, but when I took a picture from a close distance (5 cm) and when I zoomed in the picture, seems that it doesn’t have a regular shape. Can anyone distinguish if it’s a dead pixel or dust/dirt under the screen?
Here are some pictures and I would appreciate if you could help me.

Frankly, I am tired of exchanging these TV sets as there are obviously quality control issues. All sets were made in Nov 2018 in Mexico (although I have no idea who is the manufacturer of the TV panels).

Thanks!
If you can't see it from any of your seating positions, why worry about it? Looks like a pixel to me but really, does it make any functional difference what it is?
js950 is offline  
post #8118 of 9719 Old 04-07-2019, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Soundizer17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Factory resetting the TV will simply restore the current firmware, or "operating system" if you will, to default settings and clears all the data and caches. I did a factory reset when I started having the major ARC issues, but all that did was cause me to have to reinput all my calibrations which took half an hour, but didn't resolve the ARC issue, because Sony is saying they messed up the code. I have a Sony TV and Sony receiver, both 2018 models, bought into Sony to ASSURE ARC compatibility...ugh.

I would suggest sticking it out with the X900F, wait for the next firmware fix they promised, and then look forward to the X900H (2020) or whatever, with probably 1300nit HDR, eARC for HD audio passthrough HDMI 2.1 etc. :-)

Paul
thank you.

May I ask is this Sony Alert posted for this model only?
Soundizer17 is offline  
post #8119 of 9719 Old 04-07-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RickD1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
thank you.

May I ask is this Sony Alert posted for this model only?
No, see link

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00206881

Spoiler!
RickD1225 is offline  
post #8120 of 9719 Old 04-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Sony X900F HDR automated contrast issue

Hello,



When watching a movie in HDR, the brightness and gamma setting both change automatically to MAX, which is perfect, but the contrast remains at the level set for SDR. Thus, I have to manually change it back and forth every time I watch an HDR movie.


Am I the only one to whom this is happening? I have navigated forums everywhere and I do not see people complaining, to my surprise. Has anyone else been facing this issue and has a way to mitigate it?



Thanks,
Dahita
Dahita is offline  
post #8121 of 9719 Old 04-07-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,074
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
I don't know anything about the 900F but I have the 900E and my contrast setting does not change when going from SDR to HDR. Mine is 95 with both which is what I set it too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #8122 of 9719 Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow02 View Post
Same here. I'm submitting a warranty claim as I'm still under a year from purchase. They'll likely deny the claim, but I'm getting something documented. TV worked perfectly fine before the update. The tv in its current state with the Oreo update is defective.

Called support again a couple days ago to get an update on a fix for this, and they claim they still aren't sure what's causing the issue. 2-3 months is plenty of time to come up with a fix. Completely unacceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
No way top roll back the update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow02 View Post
Support claims there's no way to roll it back, correct. If there was, I'm sure they would have provided it already. I've been in regular contact with them over the last couple months.

I haven't updated the TV myself, but I have an idea. It's true that WE can't roll back to the previous firmware, but couldn't Sony REISSUE the previous firmware AS a new one? You guys who have been in contact with them could suggest this as a temporary fix until they release the fixed Oreo firmware.
NTC likes this.
newmymythos is offline  
post #8123 of 9719 Old 04-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Member
 
Snow02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmymythos View Post
I haven't updated the TV myself, but I have an idea. It's true that WE can't roll back to the previous firmware, but couldn't Sony REISSUE the previous firmware AS a new one? You guys who have been in contact with them could suggest this as a temporary fix until they release the fixed Oreo firmware.
Nope. You would think so, but apparently it's not possible to roll back.

I just got off the phone with them again. They're refusing to warranty the tv, and still no timeline on a fix.

Completely ridiculous.

Generally like the quality of the tv, and when it was working properly was great. But this support interaction has me questioning ever purchasing another sony tv. Updates sometimes break things, I get it, but "we're working on a fix" has a shelf life of about 6-8 weeks at most as far as I'm concerned. Going this long with still no ETA and refusal to do anything else is unacceptable.
Tag66, seggers, Cuthalu and 1 others like this.
Snow02 is offline  
post #8124 of 9719 Old 04-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I don't know anything about the 900F but I have the 900E and my contrast setting does not change when going from SDR to HDR. Mine is 95 with both which is what I set it too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Thank you for your reply.

I just got off the phone with Sony and they seem surprised with my request. I don't really understand how, but I'm the first one asking about this is seems.

the reason why I think this is important is that HDR only looks bright enough in CINEMA PRO mode, to me every other picture mode makes it too dark. Problem is, when I watch anything in SDR, the contrast is way too high...

I'll keep trying with them but at some point I might ask if people are willing to call as well; Sony made me understand that if less than 5 calls are made for an issue they disregard it
Dahita is offline  
post #8125 of 9719 Old 04-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Member
 
itsjustmeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow02 View Post
Nope. You would think so, but apparently it's not possible to roll back.

I just got off the phone with them again. They're refusing to warranty the tv, and still no timeline on a fix.

Completely ridiculous.

Generally like the quality of the tv, and when it was working properly was great. But this support interaction has me questioning ever purchasing another sony tv. Updates sometimes break things, I get it, but "we're working on a fix" has a shelf life of about 6-8 weeks at most as far as I'm concerned. Going this long with still no ETA and refusal to do anything else is unacceptable.
It is unacceptable. I’m going through sort of the same thing with Bose right now. I just got a brand new 700 sound bar and they’ve been promising Airplay 2 integration now for almost 6 months. It’s actually in their manual as a feature. Still no sign of it coming. People in the Bose forums are totally pissed off about this. I don’t know why these big companies can’t get it together and make these things happen quicker.
Cuthalu likes this.
itsjustmeee is online now  
post #8126 of 9719 Old 04-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbunio View Post
Hey folks,
Have you experienced quick bright blink when scene changes from brighter to darker? It is very quick, but still it can be noticed, at least by me.
I tried switch to different modes, but only on game mode it does not appear. However, on game mode motion is far from good when watching movies (I mean watching movies with lower frame rate, when testing YouTube video in 60fps motion is excellent...). Btw, I've noticed also that when on game mode picture seems to be crispier compared to any other mode and I think there is not to much blooming at least around subtitles....
Any suggestions?
This is an issue caused between an incompatibility between the A/V Sync mode and the Auto Local Dimming feature of the TV. The A/V Sync uses software to sync the video to the audio to ensure that the lips sync up to the sound. For some reason, the Auto Local Dimming, which controls the dimming zones of the TV to produce deeper blacks, is not also controlled by this software, so it gets out of sync from what is being displayed on screen, thus it brightens or dims the screen for the next scene before your image cuts to it.

There are two options to fix this problem, the easiest is to go to the settings menu on the TV Home screen, go to sound, and find the A/V Sync setting and turn it off (it's also possible that Auto fixes it as well, but I can't confirm that currently). Go back and check that this works for you. If, however you now find that your setup has lip sync issues, you may need to try the other option, which is turning A/V Sync back on, and then turning Auto Local Dimming to off in your picture settings for the applicable input. This is the more annoying way to do it, because the Auto Local Dimming picture setting is input specific, but the A/V Sync option, unfortunately, is a universal setting that applies to all inputs. I have to use A/V Sync for my DirecTV box, as I find that the audio delay on it is unacceptable for many channels, it's a problem with the source. I wish that i could just leave the setting alone, but when I watch from Apple TV 4K, I much prefer to use local dimming, so have to always drill down into the settings to turn A/V Sync back off before I switch inputs.
rafffster is offline  
post #8127 of 9719 Old 04-08-2019, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
spear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahita View Post
[...]
When watching a movie in HDR, the brightness and gamma setting both change automatically to MAX, which is perfect, but the contrast remains at the level set for SDR. Thus, I have to manually change it back and forth every time I watch an HDR movie.
[...]

This probably belongs in the owner's thread or even the settings thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...rice-talk.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...gs-thread.html

It should be Brightness and X-tended Dynamic Range (not Gamma) that get maxed out in HDR10 picture modes. Contrast does get maxed out in Dolby Vision mode.

What Contrast setting do you need to make SDR look okay? What test pattern are you using to determine that Contrast is too high? Mine looks fine at 90 (no problem with clipping when looking at test patterns) and pretty much all of the settings recommended in the settings thread have Contrast set in the 90-Max range for SDR and HDR/DV. If you need it much lower, that doesn't sound right. What is your Brightness setting for SDR?
spear is online now  
post #8128 of 9719 Old 04-08-2019, 01:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What devices/apps are you using? For example, is this Netflix/YouTube. TV or 4K Blu-ray player handling the HDR?
Majcric is offline  
post #8129 of 9719 Old 04-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Spear, I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Under the "Custom" picture mode, no matter what I have tried, HDR is just too dark. Brightness, Contrast and Gamma all maxed, Xtended dynamic range on high, you name it; impossible to get a proper picture. Rambo, Mad Max, all those movies would look much better in SDR, HDR would just make everything darker except real bright lights.

That was until I changed the picture mode to "Cinema Pro". All of a sudden, HDR started looking just as clear as SDR, but with darker darks, and brighter brights. It now looks just the way it's suppose to, that is when contrast, brightness and Gamma is at 100%. Problem is, when I switch back to HDR, Brightness goes back down, so does Gamma, but contrast stays at 100% and it's too high for SDR. What I can do is provide pictures from my phone to illustrate.

Majcric all this has been tested with multiple sources, from OPPO BRplayers to Nvidia Shield.
Dahita is offline  
post #8130 of 9719 Old 04-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
jimmyp1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi A question about Motionflow. How does it impact contrast and sharpness ? When off? True cinema? And smooth? Thank you very much. Ps. I don’t think that contrast at max for SDR is inappropriate for this tv. Still clipping at 246 which is more than acceptable if you want to try to set white at 235
jimmyp1974 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off