2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 279 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4251Likes

post #8341 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked: 1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccleave View Post
Sorry. Right now I've got my UHD player going directly to the TV via the HDMI 2 port on the TV. Everything else is running from the receiver to the HDMI 1. I've got an HDMI going from the receiver to the TV via HDMI 3.

So now I changed my settings on the TV to watch the installed TV apps via the HDMI 3 input and was able to get my surround sound to work on the TV via Netfilx and Amazon Prime, but it still doesn't output surround if I try to watch something on Vudu or Plex.
Recommend that you eliminate the HDMI cable connection from the AVR (presumably Monitor out 2 on the AVR) to HDMI 1 on the TV. It's not necessary to send the signal from the AVR to the TV in this manner, as the signal is already being sent via the ARC HDMI connection to HDMI 3 on the TV. Currently you are duplicating the AVR to TV transmission.

Presumably you are connecting your UHD player to HDMI 2 on your TV because the AVR doesn't pass HDR.

The internal VUDU app seems to be problematic for a lot of people at the moment, specifically in outputting ATMOS content. Try updating your Vudu app on the 900F, or uninstalling and reinstalling it. If there is still a problem, try VUDU on another device or log a support ticket on this issue with Sony. My guess is that a VUDU app update will be coming that supports the latest 900F firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8342 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Man View Post
The reviews from the show last night said the same thing. It was world wide. Facebook talked about how dark it was. Not our tv.
Did anybody tell the FB idiots it was shot at night? People are so dense.
post #8343 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I use Cine Pro with a brightness (really backlight) of 4 at night and 7 in the day. Contrast at 95 and blacklevel (really brightness on nonSonys) at 50 the default and Xtended Dynamic Range on low. Good luck. XDR can add a little pop if you need it.

P.S. The artifacts are due to the low quality HBO servers compressed feed. I always buy the Dvds later for better video & audio.

P.P.S. I also like a +1 Gamma.
Compression is the biggest issue, and I think LCD really struggles with it in dark scenes with motion, and lighter objects in the background. The trees and mountains just looked like banded blobs. And the fog and snow look like banded blooming moving through the screen and obscuring characters. That said, back light around 7, and gama +1 helps a lot, along with motion at clear.

I gave up on 900f last night and watched on a smaller Oled— which still struggled with compression issues in spots, but handled everything much better overall. At least, the artifact distractions and some of the black crush were at a minimum, and no banding. Just a tough task for the LCD tech to deal with everything the source presented last night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8344 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Man View Post
The reviews from the show last night said the same thing. It was world wide. Facebook talked about how dark it was. Not our tv.
It looked fine (gorgeous really) on my TV and I could easily see everything I was intended to see (obviously there was a lot in this episode that was deliberately bathed in shadow for effect, especially the first act). Game of Thrones is a weird one, they really use the lower end of the dynamic range a lot and I think what feed you are watching paired with your display device has a wide variance in how it ends up looking. Watching the HBO Go feed on my Apple TV has never been a problem, whether on my x900f or Panasonic plasma years ago. Watching clips of the show on YouTube on my iMac at work is woefully dark, bringing up the HBO Go feed in a browser is better but not as good as the app on my TV. No idea how the live HBO cable feed handles it. I suspect the on demand versions on cable/dedicated apps are gonna be the best options versus anything live or a third party app like PS Vue.

Does make you wonder, between stuff like this and HDR/DV, whether the target master for home video release should be a cinema like setting if most people are gonna end up seeing the premiere on a relatively low quality stream that inherently can't handle the intended look.
post #8345 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
It is unacceptable. I’m going through sort of the same thing with Bose right now. I just got a brand new 700 sound bar and they’ve been promising Airplay 2 integration now for almost 6 months. It’s actually in their manual as a feature. Still no sign of it coming. People in the Bose forums are totally pissed off about this. I don’t know why these big companies can’t get it together and make these things happen quicker.
That seems to me to be ripe for a class action lawsuit, or at the very least, a legit complaint to the FTC. They list and advertise a feature that's not implemented yet, that's false advertising.

I'm catching up on this thread, behind a few pages, and still pissed to see Sony doesn't have a freakin' clue what broke in Oreo update, and no ETA on a fix (as of pg271)

\m/
post #8346 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
So, I'm watching GoT last night.. the Battle of Winterfell. No Spoilers, but I'll just say that the whole episode was pretty dark. Make sure you have your TV settings correct before watching it, or you'll hate it like I did the first time watching.On first run though, it looked absolutely horrible on my 85x900F. Dark, Muddy.. and motion blur all over the place. I had a friend over and I had to keep apologizing for how bad it looked.

Afterwards I went back and played with the settings and rewatched it. Switched it from Standard to Cinema Pro and Cinema Home, and also set the ClearMotion to clear.. the BFI makes a huge difference at the expense of brightness though. However there was still some noticeable motion blur on moving objects against a black background. The Cinema Pro setting did the most to clean up everything but it was pretty dark and crushed detail in dark scenes.. Cinema Home improved the dark detail at the cost of some of the noise that made it impossible to watch in Standard Mode.

Wondering if anyone else experienced this last night? How did you correct, or did you?
***No problems with my Sony 900F and the very dark image with shadow detail. Ah, the "Directors" view AND the way he/she wanted you to see it. Hogwash - - it was junk, as far as I'm concerned. I fast forwarded over half of the show as between the very dark and very fast scenes - - it was worthless watching, IMHO. I waited for some light (more "Dracarys" please) or the dimly lit "Crypt" scenes.

Let's just say this - you won't be seeing much of this battle at your local Best Buy or Costco store when looking at new TV's.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #8347 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by T7F4 View Post
To help anyone else if they're not sure why the update isn't showing up for them as part a wireless automatic(as well as manual) update, as @PlanetAVS stated, the update hasn't been pushed out by Sony's servers. I did successfully update mine with USB.

Now, the thing that makes me want to throw my remote at the TV still is the ugly Dolby Vision. Was broken before, is broken for me still... on Netflix(haven't tested it out on any other app, safe to assume this is the most popular and most important app to be working flawlessly on the TV in my opinion).

To test, watch Love, Death & Robots, the first and second episodes have obvious washing of red scenes. But the most obvious is simply go into the shows menu, click on "Play" or "Resume episode," and watch the big heart/X/robot logo go from a nice crisp red, to immediately changing to a red that's lost the vividness and turned an ugly grey/red. I compared it to my 4 year old MacBook Pro and it looked normal on there compared to the washed out, dirty reds in Dolby Vision. Sometimes it was not too bad, and other times you didn't even need to compare to another device as a reference. You just knew that it was off. I could see how some people would think it's not that bad. To me, for what the TV costs, I'm stunned. Same with the horrendous blooming.

So disappointed. Either I have some settings wrong(I used RTINGS) or the compatibility between the version of Dolby Vision that Netflix has doesn't work well with this particular model. I either buy an Apple TV 4K(I think that's the only STB that does the trifecta of HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos) or I lose it on Sony when I contact them on Monday. Just unacceptable.
Dolby Vision is just not as spectacular as one might think, plus I think it's not ready for primetime, since it's 12 bit panel technology, and I think most content creators tend to produce dim content in DV.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
post #8348 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
To help anyone else if they're not sure why the update isn't showing up for them as part a wireless automatic(as well as manual) update, as @PlanetAVS stated, the update hasn't been pushed out by Sony's servers. I did successfully update mine with USB.

Now, the thing that makes me want to throw my remote at the TV still is the ugly Dolby Vision. Was broken before, is broken for me still... on Netflix(haven't tested it out on any other app, safe to assume this is the most popular and most important app to be working flawlessly on the TV in my opinion).

To test, watch Love, Death & Robots, the first and second episodes have obvious washing of red scenes. But the most obvious is simply go into the shows menu, click on "Play" or "Resume episode," and watch the big heart/X/robot logo go from a nice crisp red, to immediately changing to a red that's lost the vividness and turned an ugly grey/red. I compared it to my 4 year old MacBook Pro and it looked normal on there compared to the washed out, dirty reds in Dolby Vision. Sometimes it was not too bad, and other times you didn't even need to compare to another device as a reference. You just knew that it was off. I could see how some people would think it's not that bad. To me, for what the TV costs, I'm stunned. Same with the horrendous blooming.

So disappointed. Either I have some settings wrong(I used RTINGS) or the compatibility between the version of Dolby Vision that Netflix has doesn't work well with this particular model. I either buy an Apple TV 4K(I think that's the only STB that does the trifecta of HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos) or I lose it on Sony when I contact them on Monday. Just unacceptable.
Is blooming really that bad for you? Where do you notice it more and how often?

post #8349 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
I just got the 75” that will be delivered later this week. This aspect of the tv concerns me, however I hope it’s something that can be fixed via firmware. I would think Sony could....if they even seem motivated to. The 950G apparently comes with a DV Bright pre-set....why not make that just available to the 900F as well? Unless that’s how they justify charging more for the “newer” model. Maybe someone with a 950G can see what the DV Bright settings put the tv at and post those setting for the 900F owners?
It has to do with the more powerful processor in the 950G, not the settings.

post #8350 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I am watching episode 1 of the robot love show, garbage truck backing up to the wall, the red tail lights look cherry red and vivid. The garbage truck moving away from the camera (angle) and the following red curtain do appear duller by comparison, but the fact that the garbage truck backing up taillights are vivid and others are not would seem to be indicative that the colors were graded that way, if that is the right term for CGI.

Try the HDR settings in the link of my profile down below. Calibrated HDR and SDR settings.

Paul

As for your "test" to pause and then playback...you do understand that the "show menu" is in SDR, and when the TV switches to HDR to playback, the "dull reds" you are seeing is the SDR menu screen being displayed momentarily while the TV has entered HDR DV mode.

Quote:

spear likes this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #8351 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Big issue with Dolby Vision is it is a 12 bit 10,000 nit system, being used on 800nit 10 bit TV panels...I think they were more concerned with being able to future proof the released material, with the dynamic metadata allowing current TV's to attempt to "compress" the dynamic range and wide 12 bit color gamut down to displayable levels...remember, if you just throw a 10,000 nit signal at an 800nit TV, everything above 800 nit (800-10,000nit) would just hard white clip and be black at max 800nit white value.

Just wait for 12 bit 4000nit MicroLED panels to hit the market. :-D

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
Dolby Vision is just not as spectacular as one might think, plus I think it's not ready for primetime, since it's 12 bit panel technology, and I think most content creators tend to produce dim content in DV.

Educated Idiot and Sensamix like this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #8352 of 9380 Old 04-29-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked: 1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Big issue with Dolby Vision is it is a 12 bit 10,000 nit system, being used on 800nit 10 bit TV panels...I think they were more concerned with being able to future proof the released material, with the dynamic metadata allowing current TV's to attempt to "compress" the dynamic range and wide 12 bit color gamut down to displayable levels...remember, if you just throw a 10,000 nit signal at an 800nit TV, everything above 800 nit (800-10,000nit) would just hard white clip and be black at max 800nit white value.

Just wait for 12 bit 4000nit MicroLED panels to hit the market. :-D

Paul
Agreed. Probably more accurate to say that Dolby Vision isn't as spectacular as it is capable of being.
post #8353 of 9380 Old 04-30-2019, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I just don't think people have a real understanding of how HDR content is suppose to look. In regards to G.O.T. people may not understand that the compression to the stream from HBO degrades the image quality especially in dark material. This is not Dolby Vision being to dark, this is how it was intended to look.

Quote:
"The lighting, or lack thereof, was an intentional choice, according to the show’s director of photography, Fabian Wagner."

First, Fabian believes the pixelation and muddy dark colors fans saw on their TVs and mobile devices are due to HBO's compression of the episode ... which leads to poorer visual quality. This is made worse if it's being viewed on a streaming service with a weak connection ... or in a room that's too bright.

As Wagner puts it ... "[GoT] has always been very dark and a very cinematic show" and should be watched in a dark environment. Ideally, this means viewing it like you would a movie -- in a dark theater.

Since that's not realistic for 'Thrones,' Fabian suggests making your viewing room at home as dark as possible, avoid watching on your phone or in places that are lit up ... and adjust your TV settings.

The cinematographer also points out ... the showrunners and director wanted the episode to be dark. Wagner says the battle scenes were intended to be intense, claustrophobic and disorienting -- like they would be in real life -- but not confusing.

Fabian says, "We tried to give the viewers and fans a cool episode to watch," and he believes they did, adding ... "I know it wasn't too dark because I shot it."

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000

Last edited by CaptinCrunch; 04-30-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #8354 of 9380 Old 04-30-2019, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've been trying to figure out a way to get direct access to some of the different Picture Modes (Custom, Cinema Home, Game, etc) but with NO LUCK.

I don't understand why we can't have direct access to those picture modes like a different input because most of us use a A/V receiver as a hub to connect all of our sources to. Especially if you have a game system and want to use the GAME picture mode and then go back to watching regular cable using CUSTOM picture mode and so forth.

I've tried and tried programming different older Sony tv's into my Harmony Elite to find a IR code that directly brings up the Sony Picture Mode and then I could easily setup a sequence to change a different picture mode for the source I need.

Has anyone figured up a solution to this? I've also included a link to Sony's website about IP control which I don't really like as its a little sluggish to use but it could work as an answer to this problem.

I'd prefer to have a discrete IR code to each of the different picture modes or at least a direct access to the Picture Mode menu.

Ideas or comments?

https://pro-bravia.sony.net/develop/...ons/index.html
Cuthalu likes this.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-LX701
Main & Center Speakers : Phase Technology PC 3.5, & Surrounds
Amplifiers : Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, SVS SB3000 Subwoofer
MonsterPower HTS5100, Harmony Elite Remote
TV & Sources: Sony 75” 900F, Bluesound Node 2, Xbox One & Apple TV4K
post #8355 of 9380 Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
I just don't think people have a real understanding of how HDR content is suppose to look. In regards to G.O.T. people may not understand that the compression to the stream from HBO degrades the image quality especially in dark material. This is not Dolby Vision being to dark, this is how it was intended to look.
True and GoT isn't even HDR it is a compressed 1080p stream, that was shot at night using natural lighting as much as possible. Imagine watching S8E3 with a cheap non Full Array Local Dimming (FALD) set.
post #8356 of 9380 Old 04-30-2019, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6499 Post(s)
Liked: 6479
Quote:
Originally Posted by peefles View Post
Does firmware update erase all the settings that ive changed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafffster View Post
Only if something goes wrong. I encountered no issues updating through USB. Took about 15 minutes. It's always a good idea to have a record of your individual settings, however, just in case. I just take a picture with my phone of the relevant areas that I might forget.
Not on this exact model but I have seen settings get wiped out, not sure if it is something that went wrong or when you change this, that happens....
post #8357 of 9380 Old 04-30-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Got this set in February. Plays beautifully. Have not done any streaming. Just Direct TV and Blu-ray. Bit hesitant to do the firmware update after reading what some have experienced.
post #8358 of 9380 Old 04-30-2019, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post
I've been trying to figure out a way to get direct access to some of the different Picture Modes (Custom, Cinema Home, Game, etc) but with NO LUCK.

I don't understand why we can't have direct access to those picture modes like a different input because most of us use a A/V receiver as a hub to connect all of our sources to. Especially if you have a game system and want to use the GAME picture mode and then go back to watching regular cable using CUSTOM picture mode and so forth.

I've tried and tried programming different older Sony tv's into my Harmony Elite to find a IR code that directly brings up the Sony Picture Mode and then I could easily setup a sequence to change a different picture mode for the source I need.

Has anyone figured up a solution to this? I've also included a link to Sony's website about IP control which I don't really like as its a little sluggish to use but it could work as an answer to this problem.

I'd prefer to have a discrete IR code to each of the different picture modes or at least a direct access to the Picture Mode menu.

Ideas or comments?

As far as I know, what you're trying to do isn't possible and QUITE annoying. I gave up and couldn't find any answers anywhere.
post #8359 of 9380 Old 04-30-2019, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Ideas or comments?

I remembered someone with the 900E programming their harmony remote to do the process for them. It’s not instant but it does get the desired results. I found the post but you may need to adapt it for your uses and if there’s anything different about the process between the E and F. Post referenced below.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2773233-2017-sony-xbr-900e-owners-thread-no-price-talk-72.html#post53543089

Last edited by acphydro; 04-30-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #8360 of 9380 Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks for that...he's created a "sequence" I've tried that but unfortunately it works sometimes but not all the time. The reason being is on the Sony 900E (which is have one) and the 900F, the ACTION MENU can change based upon what your viewing. Sometimes when you select the ACTION MENU the Picture Settings is 3, 4, 5 etc sections down.

Its close but won't work good enough.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-LX701
Main & Center Speakers : Phase Technology PC 3.5, & Surrounds
Amplifiers : Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, SVS SB3000 Subwoofer
MonsterPower HTS5100, Harmony Elite Remote
TV & Sources: Sony 75” 900F, Bluesound Node 2, Xbox One & Apple TV4K
post #8361 of 9380 Old 04-30-2019, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for that...he's created a "sequence" I've tried that but unfortunately it works sometimes but not all the time. The reason being is on the Sony 900E (which is have one) and the 900F, the ACTION MENU can change based upon what your viewing. Sometimes when you select the ACTION MENU the Picture Settings is 3, 4, 5 etc sections down.

Its close but won't work good enough.
Seems like you’d be able to program different buttons for that behavior and use them when appropriate unless it’s random. I don’t have a harmony remote so I can’t say I’ve tried so it may not be possible, but, with the ability to program actions in a sequence with delays it would seem that the possibilities would be near endless similar to a macro on a keyboard.

Could be a big pain but seems it would be possible to program several buttons to meet your needs unless the remote has a limited number of buttons that can be reprogrammed. Have one button to swap picture modes between say one type of content and another for another type or etc. Probably take a long while to get working properly, to remember what the buttons do and get used to it but I still don’t see why it couldn’t work.

I also recall reading in a thread last year here that someone managed to actually program a remote with some old codes that allowed them to swap modes using a universal remote. I can’t recall if it was a harmony or not, but I do know they were successful and it involved inputting raw commands into the remote for each button.

It’s possible that may be what you’re looking for. I think it was also in the 900E thread but it could’ve been early in this thread.

I believe he may have had to edit a file on the computer and send it to whatever remote is was.

Last edited by acphydro; 04-30-2019 at 09:55 PM.
post #8362 of 9380 Old 05-01-2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Has anybody enabled USB debugging and if so are there any settings to recommend?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #8363 of 9380 Old 05-01-2019, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Well, I just got my 75" 900F set up tonight. I only had an hour to play around before I had to leave.
It feels a little weird watching cable news on such a large screen, but my son and I then played some movie trailers via the Apple TV, and that really was outstanding. I was worried 75" was going to be too big, but I am perfectly fine with it. My wife on the other hand.....well I can see on her face she is less than enthusiastic about the size. She doesn't seem happy for the moment.

I started watching my cable news programs.....the logo graphics at the bottom looked super sharp.....the broadcasters weren't quite as sharp as I was expecting. I guess maybe I was expecting more with how everyone praises the up-scaling ability of this tv. But I've never had a large screen tv before, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I mean, it didn't look bad.....but just not as clear as I was expecting. I checked my Xfinity box and it was automatically set for best quality which was showing 1080p. It even had the model of my TV detected on the cable box settings.

I didn't really have time to play with any of the settings. The only thing I changed was putting the local dimming to high. I did take a quick glance at all the preset picture modes. Honestly, everything other than Standard looked like crap to my untrained eyes. I looked at Cinema Home and Cinema Pro and the colors turn yellowish. Why on Earth would that ever look good?

Are there any other settings I should immediately change for this tv without getting into too much detailed custom picture settings at this time? I'm sure I'll be interested in getting into custom tweaks eventually, but right now I'm just wanting to get basic good picture settings up and running. Thanks.
post #8364 of 9380 Old 05-01-2019, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, I just got my 75" 900F set up tonight. I only had an hour to play around before I had to leave.
It feels a little weird watching cable news on such a large screen, but my son and I then played some movie trailers via the Apple TV, and that really was outstanding. I was worried 75" was going to be too big, but I am perfectly fine with it. My wife on the other hand.....well I can see on her face she is less than enthusiastic about the size. She doesn't seem happy for the moment.

I started watching my cable news programs.....the logo graphics at the bottom looked super sharp.....the broadcasters weren't quite as sharp as I was expecting. I guess maybe I was expecting more with how everyone praises the up-scaling ability of this tv. But I've never had a large screen tv before, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I mean, it didn't look bad.....but just not as clear as I was expecting. I checked my Xfinity box and it was automatically set for best quality which was showing 1080p. It even had the model of my TV detected on the cable box settings.

I didn't really have time to play with any of the settings. The only thing I changed was putting the local dimming to high. I did take a quick glance at all the preset picture modes. Honestly, everything other than Standard looked like crap to my untrained eyes. I looked at Cinema Home and Cinema Pro and the colors turn yellowish. Why on Earth would that ever look good?

Are there any other settings I should immediately change for this tv without getting into too much detailed custom picture settings at this time? I'm sure I'll be interested in getting into custom tweaks eventually, but right now I'm just wanting to get basic good picture settings up and running. Thanks.
My settings are posted in the settings thread. They should also be in my signature. There’s several users with different settings over in the thread though. I like mine similar to how rtings sets their’s with minor changes. I use cinema home during the day and pro at night with just the brightness changed between the 2 and have set the color to expert1. Some people will notice it looking yellowish but it is considered most accurate. I got used to it. You can also change the temp to something colder though.

As for your Comcast I would suggest turning the box to output native if it can. As you have it now the box itself is upscaling the image then the TV is upscaling it further. I think most people with Comcast set their boxes to 720p and let the TV do the rest. Maybe someone else with Comcast will chime in though. It’s common belief however that Comcast feeds are heavily compressed compared to other providers. I use directv and it looks fantastic.
post #8365 of 9380 Old 05-02-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
My settings are posted in the settings thread. They should also be in my signature. There’s several users with different settings over in the thread though. I like mine similar to how rtings sets their’s with minor changes. I use cinema home during the day and pro at night with just the brightness changed between the 2 and have set the color to expert1. Some people will notice it looking yellowish but it is considered most accurate. I got used to it. You can also change the temp to something colder though.

As for your Comcast I would suggest turning the box to output native if it can. As you have it now the box itself is upscaling the image then the TV is upscaling it further. I think most people with Comcast set their boxes to 720p and let the TV do the rest. Maybe someone else with Comcast will chime in though. It’s common belief however that Comcast feeds are heavily compressed compared to other providers. I use directv and it looks fantastic.
I think I have the X1 system.....so there might be a way to not have the cable box upscale at all, and rather force the tv to upscale the cable signal? I will have to check the settings when I get home. It was just set to Auto at last check and was showing 1080p.
post #8366 of 9380 Old 05-02-2019, 02:54 AM

I have another question about picture settings too with this tv.

1. Do you set the picture settings for each HDMI input?

and as a follow-up...

2. If you tweak a setting from the standard defaults in the various pre-set picture modes, does it save it, or do you have to do all custom settings in a particular Custom profile? And if you screw something, is it easy to go back to the TVs default presets?

I see people mentioning settings for HDR content....are these options only available for tweaking when an HDR source is playing?

Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post

post #8367 of 9380 Old 05-02-2019, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think I have the X1 system.....so there might be a way to not have the cable box upscale at all, and rather force the tv to upscale the cable signal? I will have to check the settings when I get home. It was just set to Auto at last check and was showing 1080p.
I think people were setting the X1 to 720p and letting the TV scale it from there because it doesn’t have a native passthrough option but I can’t check since I don’t have one. If it does have that option it won’t upscale at all and the TV will handle it. If it doesn’t then forcing it to 720p might be best.

Yes settings are saved per input and if you alter standard or cinema home or etc they will stick per input. You don’t have to use custom unless you want to. Some internal apps have their own settings as well by category. There are a few settings that change on their own between SDR and HDR. I believe it will auto max out brightness, contrast and turn xtended dynamic range to high when switching to HDR but not 100% sure if that’s it, could be one more setting. If you change those settings while in HDR it will remember them next time you’re in HDR. It’ll change them back to what they were at for SDR.

It’s fairly easy to revert your picture settings back to default.
post #8368 of 9380 Old 05-02-2019, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 75 inch 900F. Returned three others due to Flashlighting issues and finally found one that doesnt have this issue. However, i noticed on all of the panels that around all of the edges its significantly lighter. Not light bleed - but an almost blurry, smeary look to the colors. Especially noticeable on darker scenes. I use Cinema Pro with brightness at 15. Anyone else notice this and found a solution?
post #8369 of 9380 Old 05-02-2019, 06:46 AM

Ok, I’ve tried a few of the settings from the 900F settings forum. I don’t get it. Why does everyone like watching a movie with no color? I did all that tweaking and I’m like....uhhhh, what? I swear Standard mode looks better than any of the custom settings I’ve tried so far. What am I not seeing that all these other experts do? Granted I don’t watch tv in pitch dark rooms. And right now I have some light coming in from the windows and kitchen. But I can’t imagine even in pitch dark I would like these custom settings over what Standard mode is doing.
Sensamix likes this.
post #8370 of 9380 Old 05-02-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, I’ve tried a few of the settings from the 900F settings forum. I don’t get it. Why does everyone like watching a movie with no color? I did all that tweaking and I’m like....uhhhh, what? I swear Standard mode looks better than any of the custom settings I’ve tried so far. What am I not seeing that all these other experts do? Granted I don’t watch tv in pitch dark rooms. And right now I have some light coming in from the windows and kitchen. But I can’t imagine even in pitch dark I would like these custom settings over what Standard mode is doing.
Think about watching a movie in a theatre not a cartoon short.

Vivid isn't considered proper video reproduction. Still everybody likes different things. Most people on AVS forums consider themselves video purists and want that theatre as the director shot it look.

Have fun tweaking things to meet your visual needs. The Sony is nice no matter how you chose to set it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page