2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 285 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4352Likes

post #8521 of 9719 Old 05-14-2019, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdtac View Post
I too am having trouble with the internal VUDU app. It only outputs 2 channels now. I do not have an atmos setup. I am using the optical connection from the 900f to a non-4k receiver, which was outputting dolby 5.1 just fine. Netflix and amazon prime work fine with dolby 5.1 So it must be the vudu app?
Hi, new here. I was experiencing the same issue so I did some research. Vudu is aware there is an issue and they are currently working on a fix. I'd post the link to the site but I'm not yet allowed. I searched for 'vudu android tv no 5.1' and it was the third result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8522 of 9719 Old 05-14-2019, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdtac View Post
I too am having trouble with the internal VUDU app. It only outputs 2 channels now. I do not have an atmos setup. I am using the optical connection from the 900f to a non-4k receiver, which was outputting dolby 5.1 just fine. Netflix and amazon prime work fine with dolby 5.1 So it must be the vudu app?
I noticed if I have my Pioneer receiver set to AutoSound (which usually chooses the correct output) it will do the same thing, play only stereo but if I cycle through the Audio Settings to the very next setting it will show DD+ (even for content that shows it has Atmos available) and play through my 5.1 setup. I finally updated to the latest OS last night, it took another thumb drive to make it possible as the first one simply would not work. After the update, the same issue with Vudu persists with the audio but my ARC is working ok still thankfully.

On a side not, just to verify what others have said, Amazon is still a stuttering mess sometimes even after the update. It pretty much seems that all issues I had before the update are all still present (laggy Amazon, Vudu lack of Atmos, UI sluggish, etc), so the update didn't really do too much for me other than a UI change, also, it seems a tad laggier in the home page but then I changed a few of the developer settings for the previous OS so maybe that made it feel a little quicker? All that said, I like the minor UI tweaks, easier to add/remove apps on page etc. Good thing i finally have an Apple TV on the way to address the Vudu/Amazon issues.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #8523 of 9719 Old 05-14-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahsi View Post
Hi, new here. I was experiencing the same issue so I did some research. Vudu is aware there is an issue and they are currently working on a fix. I'd post the link to the site but I'm not yet allowed. I searched for 'vudu android tv no 5.1' and it was the third result.
Vudu seems to be good at responding to bugs. Vudu HDR was messed up after the first Oreo update (6.5830?), they fixed it within a couple of weeks.
trdtac likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8524 of 9719 Old 05-14-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post
Anyone have thoughts or recommendations for a floor stand or smaller tabletop stand that will support the 85” model?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
What price range are you looking at? Wayfair has stands for up to 88" in the several hundred dollar range.
Bought my stands from Wayfair, what a HUGE selection...Kind of ridiculous......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 63 View Post
Why not wall mount? It's cheaper.
Yes indeed wall mounts are 20 bucks......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post
Today I was at BB and there was a new "higher" level 85X950G $1K more than they offered me for 900F at $3.8 K. Side by side it was connected to the same player and I tried hard to see any small improvements in picture quality but didn't find anything.
Buy a 900F while you can lol
DrA likes this.
post #8525 of 9719 Old 05-14-2019, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Buy a 900F while you can lol
I believe I read Sony is still producing the 900F this year. It shouldn't be until the end of the year that stock might begin to dry up, no?
DrA likes this.
post #8526 of 9719 Old 05-14-2019, 08:52 PM
DrA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
The Sweep cabinet has solid doors on each side. I have a soundbar in the middle opening, but I wouldn't put subs in cabinets, they're better located in places subs should be located (corners, floors etc.)

A BDI cabinet, called Corridor has a full slat front, maybe suitable for front L/R
Thank you for the tip.

I couldn't wait for the long delivery so I just got the the floor model of black BDI 80 inch Corridor locally and bought the the new unopened TV for 3.7K + 5 year warranty. Should I keep the $850 BB 5 year warranty or is it a gimmick? Anybody who reads this please answer. I can can cancel it anytime.
LeeSoFl likes this.

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #8527 of 9719 Old 05-14-2019, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
My automatic updates is turned on.
Seems that the auto updates are on a rolling basis and if you don't have auto download turned on, you'll miss it. I had mine off and another poster in the same city received the update and I didn't. I then turned my auto download on and it hasn't updated since then. If you really want the update and don't want to wait, best to manually do it via USB which is fairly easy.
Hi. I’m having the same problem. My set checks for updates but doesn’t find one. Yet I’m still on the old firmware. Is auto download something in addition to having auto update turned on? I currently have auto update on but I didn’t get an update. Thanks
post #8528 of 9719 Old 05-14-2019, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Thank you for the tip.

I couldn't wait for the long delivery so I just got the the floor model of black BDI 80 inch Corridor locally and bought the the new unopened TV for 3.7K + 5 year warranty. Should I keep the $850 BB 5 year warranty or is it a gimmick? Anybody who reads this please answer. I can can cancel it anytime.
square trade warranty from Costco is the best, in 5 years time the tv not worth that much, i did with all my tv since 2012 just bought ST warranty. just my 2 cents. my samsung JS9000 needed service in the 10 month of use samsung fixed it.
DrA likes this.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #8529 of 9719 Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 PM
DrA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
square trade warranty from Costco is the best, in 5 years time the tv not worth that much, i did with all my tv since 2012 just bought ST warranty. just my 2 cents. my samsung JS9000 needed service in the 10 month of use samsung fixed it.
Thank you so much for the square trade warranty from Costco tip.
No brainer
$850 5 years for BB warranty vs $99 for 3 years.

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #8530 of 9719 Old 05-14-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post
Hi. I’m having the same problem. My set checks for updates but doesn’t find one. Yet I’m still on the old firmware. Is auto download something in addition to having auto update turned on? I currently have auto update on but I didn’t get an update. Thanks
If it wasn't turned on at the time that the update was pushed to your TV, you probably missed it and will have to wait until it's pushed to you again. Or you can update it manually via USB, as discussed.
post #8531 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Thank you for the tip.

I couldn't wait for the long delivery so I just got the the floor model of black BDI 80 inch Corridor locally
That's a very handsome cabinet. One recommendation regarding the wheels; after you're all wired and the Corridor is rolled into place, drop down the permanent legs so the cabinet isn't sitting on the wheels all the time.
DrA likes this.
post #8532 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 04:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Last year I mentioned the feature "IMAX Enhanced" since it appeared on the spec sheet for both my Z9D and 900F.

There is now a new IMAX app on both my sets.

The demo video and four short films are really exceptional.

https://www.imaxenhanced.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAX .PNG
Views:	61
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	2567036  
post #8533 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Sony is rolling it out in a phased manner, if your TV hasn't been scheduled by Sony then it will not show an update is available or needed. The only way to jump the queue is by doing a manual update using a USB thumb drive. My 900e is in the same boat, awaiting scheduling and I am willing to wait.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #8534 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hey guys, I am returning a Vizio P due to three defective panels and I am done with the TV, I was able to get a full refund. This all happened in a span of three months. Just crazy.

My next logical choice would be this TV but I've heard about very poor HDR/DV performance for games and movies. Very dim picture. Is this a real issue with this TV? Or is this blown out or proportion or user error? I just don't want to get into a new vicious cycle of bad panels and returns and exchanges.

Thanks
post #8535 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvarck31 View Post
Hey guys, I am returning a Vizio P due to three defective panels and I am done with the TV, I was able to get a full refund. This all happened in a span of three months. Just crazy.

My next logical choice would be this TV but I've heard about very poor HDR/DV performance for games and movies. Very dim picture. Is this a real issue with this TV? Or is this blown out or proportion or user error? I just don't want to get into a new vicious cycle of bad panels and returns and exchanges.

Thanks
It's more "blown out or proportion or user error", Yes Sony's implementation of Dolby Vision is a little darker than what you get with LG or Vizio, but with proper settings you can get a bright DV image, and there is no issues with HDR10. I can't answer for gaming on the X900F, but I do know there are a few so called DV enabled games that are not true DV and they look like crap on any brand tv.

See the X900F Owners Settings thread.....

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #8536 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 11:39 AM

Thanks. I am a gamer but mostly casual and single player. I’m a little worried about the 40ms lag in 1080p since my PS4 is not a pro. But I do have a Xbox One X and the input lag with 4K HDR is fantastic.

If you say HDR10 looks great then I’m pretty much sold. Dolby Vision is a ways off for games.

I do like the DV shows and movies on the streaming platform but I bet the dimmer DV won’t bother me much since my eyes are a bit more sensitive to light than most others.

Thanks again.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #8537 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
Thank you so much for the square trade warranty from Costco tip.
No brainer
$850 5 years for BB warranty vs $99 for 3 years.
Square Trade is hot garbage and worthless. They are a total scam! BB won’t jerk you around and bring you a brand new set. And if it’s not being made any more. They will give you the newer set 900F to 950G for example. There is a reason why BB warranty is way more. They are fantastic when you make a claim.
post #8538 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Last year I mentioned the feature "IMAX Enhanced" since it appeared on the spec sheet for both my Z9D and 900F.

There is now a new IMAX app on both my sets.

The demo video and four short films are really exceptional.

https://www.imaxenhanced.com/
***I found the app on my 900F under "Privilege 4K." It installed but I couldn't get any of the demos to play. They'd load then dark screen and nothing. I have a fast, wired internet connection so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll try again tomorrow.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #8539 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Just did a manual update.. Plugged USB into upper side port. Nothing. Lower one worked immediately. Sony says anyone will work but...
Minor issues with tv not switching to external audio before seems fixed for me now. I've never had major issue with the set. D vision is gorgeous so is atmos. Of course in Canada we don't get all the streaming options you guys down in the south get. Different apps too
I'm beginning to think that internet speed, connection, providers, etc are a big factor in how the display acts.
No way else to explain all the different problem people have going on.
post #8540 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 04:33 PM

Ended up ordering this about 10 minutes ago. Super excited. Just hope I don’t run into any HDR issues. I’m TV fatigued right now. This one has to be it.
NCGoldwinger likes this.
post #8541 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Quote:
Sony is rolling it out in a phased manner, if your TV hasn't been scheduled by Sony then it will not show an update is available or needed. The only way to jump the queue is by doing a manual update using a USB thumb drive. My 900e is in the same boat, awaiting scheduling and I am willing to wait.
Ok got it. Thanks. I’ve had auto update on since I got it so it must not be pushed to me yet. I’m ok waiting as well. Thanks for your feedback
post #8542 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***I found the app on my 900F under "Privilege 4K." It installed but I couldn't get any of the demos to play. They'd load then dark screen and nothing. I have a fast, wired internet connection so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll try again tomorrow.
I had to create a username and login for the z9d, then just logged in to the 900F. Did you get a screen to start an account?
post #8543 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
I had to create a username and login for the z9d, then just logged in to the 900F. Did you get a screen to start an account?
***Yes - I did that. I created a password and everything and then got a "code" to Login. Still couldn't get it to play anything. I'm on the older software release and maybe that has something to do with it?

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #8544 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
update question

Hey guys, how long does the update take to download and instal? I've been looking at the red, blue, yellow and green dots on my screen for over 30 minutes now. This is my first update with this tv. Is this status quo?
post #8545 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I purchased my 65x900f back in March from BB and I also purchased the ext warranty. However tonight I am noticing what looks like some faint black bands going down the screen almost all the way across. Is this an issue or is it normal?
post #8546 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
It's more "blown out or proportion or user error", Yes Sony's implementation of Dolby Vision is a little darker than what you get with LG or Vizio, but with proper settings you can get a bright DV image, and there is no issues with HDR10. I can't answer for gaming on the X900F, but I do know there are a few so called DV enabled games that are not true DV and they look like crap on any brand tv.

See the X900F Owners Settings thread.....
I went ahead and ordered the set. Super excited but with all the crazy stuff with Vizio I'm also very guarded.

I hope I like it.
post #8547 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 1160
You will like it. I Tried the Vizio P series and there is no comparison to the Sony.
NCGoldwinger likes this.

Spoiler!
post #8548 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
You will like it. I Tried the Vizio P series and there is no comparison to the Sony.
Good to know. Just hope I don't have ant tech or mechanical issues out of the box. I think I'd lose my mind after going through all those Vizio's.

Do you know how the upscailing is on this? Like for cable TV?
post #8549 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvarck31 View Post
Good to know. Just hope I don't have ant tech or mechanical issues out of the box. I think I'd lose my mind after going through all those Vizio's.

Do you know how the upscailing is on this? Like for cable TV?
I went through 4 75” 900 series panels. The first was a 900E and since they were out they sent a 900F followed by 3 more. I kept the last one. The first 3 had major quality issues. Most had major areas of dead pixels clumped and one had a curve in the frame....

I had to unpack setup and repack all of em with the help of my wife. The retailer ended up giving me 15% back on my purchase plus a $200 gift card. This was around the time when the 900F was brand new so it’s possible they cleaned that up.

On the flip side I owned a 65” Vizio E65-C3 that was perfect aside from being budget and I just put a 55” TCL R617 in my bedroom that is pretty much a unicorn panel. Had the 75” TCL been available I’d have given it a shot. Sure it’s motion is a bit worse as is the upscaling but it’s 85-90% of my Sony to my eyes.

I find the upscaling to be phenomenal at least with my Directv and I was worried about the 1080p gaming as well. I’ve played plenty of WiiU and Switch on it as well as regular PS4 before I got the Pro without complaints. Enjoy the set.
pvarck31 likes this.
post #8550 of 9719 Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I went through 4 75” 900 series panels. The first was a 900E and since they were out they sent a 900F followed by 3 more. I kept the last one. The first 3 had major quality issues. Most had major areas of dead pixels clumped and one had a curve in the frame....

I had to unpack setup and repack all of em with the help of my wife. The retailer ended up giving me 15% back on my purchase plus a $200 gift card. This was around the time when the 900F was brand new so it’s possible they cleaned that up.

On the flip side I owned a 65” Vizio E65-C3 that was perfect aside from being budget and I just put a 55” TCL R617 in my bedroom that is pretty much a unicorn panel. Had the 75” TCL been available I’d have given it a shot. Sure it’s motion is a bit worse as is the upscaling but it’s 85-90% of my Sony to my eyes.

I find the upscaling to be phenomenal at least with my Directv and I was worried about the 1080p gaming as well. I’ve played plenty of WiiU and Switch on it as well as regular PS4 before I got the Pro without complaints. Enjoy the set.
Oh jeez. I really hope I just finally catch a break and get a good panel. I decided I'm not going to go crazy looking for flaws. As long as there are no dead pixels or glaringly obvious issues I am just gonna roll with it. If it passes the eye test then I'll be happy.
NCGoldwinger and naustin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page