2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 286 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4351Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8551 of 9719 Old 05-16-2019, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvarck31 View Post
Oh jeez. I really hope I just finally catch a break and get a good panel. I decided I'm not going to go crazy looking for flaws. As long as there are no dead pixels or glaringly obvious issues I am just gonna roll with it. If it passes the eye test then I'll be happy.
The one I kept has like 2 dead pixels near the same area on the far left of the screen (maybe 3” or so from the edge) that aren’t visible from 5ft back unless on an all white or very light colored scene.

I can’t see them at all from my 10ft back seating distance not even if I’m looking for them. Hard to spot em from 5ft back. One of the panels they sent me had a cluster of em in the middle that looked like a crosshair, was ridiculous.

If you do go looking for them and find some just take a step back and see if you can see them from areas you normally watch from or etc. Don’t expect a flawless panel because most of the time you’ll be disappointed. I believe mine is within manufacturing tolerances. I’m sure my retailer would’ve let me swap again, but, I’ve been using it for over a year now and don’t ever see them unless I get up close and really look.
acphydro is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8552 of 9719 Old 05-16-2019, 03:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Dimon.Zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Don’t expect a flawless panel because most of the time you’ll be disappointed.
I had 65X900E. It was perfect panel. No dead pixels, no DCE, no banding at all. Just some dark corners but i coudn't see it in real viewing.
Cuthalu likes this.
Dimon.Zorg is offline  
post #8553 of 9719 Old 05-16-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 18,191
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 896
A few weeks ago our old 50" Panny GT50 Plasma TV in the wife's Den suddenly started buzzing loudly and became unwatchable. I wanted to fix it but she said lets just get a new TV and my first thought is "Ok, lets run over to BB and grab a Sony 49X900F" (since she does like my 55X900E in the Man-Room) but when i told her it's a thousand bucks plus tax she stopped me right there and said no way is she paying that much for a TV. WTF.

So she had me look into the current brands/models of 48"-50" LCD TVs below $400 (size & price limits are apparently non-negotiable). I scanned the various TCL, Vizio, Hisense, etc threads here and went to BB to have a look at em but i wasn't getting any warm fuzzy's on these bargain brands. This is our primary nightly display and we don't want a crappy TV so i checked Craigslist for used Panny Plasmas and Sony LCD TVs and found a few possible candidates, but they were over her $400 budget. She said no-go. So the next day i removed the rear cover of the GT50 and sure enough some board screws were loose (a common issue) so i snugged em down and the TV is virtually silent again and now we don't need a new TV afterall. Wife is super happy too since it didn't cost her anything.

But there was this one ad on Craigslist that i kept seeing for a lightly used 49X900F nearby in perfect like-new condition for less than half the price of a new one. It was nagging away at me so i finally contacted the seller - he had size remorse a few months after he got it and replaced it with a much larger screen and just wanted this one gone. So i went over and checked it out and bought it on the spot even though we don't need it. The deal was too good to pass up. And we WILL eventually need it i'm sure. I secretly tested it in my Man-Room side-by-side with my 55X900E for several days then packed it back up in it's original box, and hid that box inside my empty 55X900E box we have stored in the back of the garage so the wife will never know it's really there ha ha. Now i have a really good backup TV sitting on deck for her when her old Plasma finally does die.

I have half a mind to swap it out in her den when she's out of town next week and see now long it takes her to notice, then see if she lets me leave it there after she calms down LOL.

_________________

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8554 of 9719 Old 05-16-2019, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,541
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post
I believe I read Sony is still producing the 900F this year. It shouldn't be until the end of the year that stock might begin to dry up, no?
Well see what happens, up to Sony I guess but I can not imagine them being out to much longer but as another member noted look at the 940E and Z9D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post
Thank you for the tip.

I couldn't wait for the long delivery so I just got the the floor model of black BDI 80 inch Corridor locally and bought the the new unopened TV for 3.7K + 5 year warranty. Should I keep the $850 BB 5 year warranty or is it a gimmick? Anybody who reads this please answer. I can can cancel it anytime.
That is a lot of money for a warranty. I would not keep it for that price. Mack Warranty and Square Trade are far cheaper. Square Trade usually buys you a new TV while Mack cuts a check and you can buy whatever, wherever you like.
DrA likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #8555 of 9719 Old 05-16-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Yukon Trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yukon, Canada
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
I have half a mind to swap it out in her den when she's out of town next week and see now long it takes her to notice, then see if she lets me leave it there after she calms down LOL.
This is called "playing with fire". Best of luck to you.
Educated Idiot likes this.

Yukon Trooper is offline  
post #8556 of 9719 Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hockeynut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MO
Posts: 1,235
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 77
So I know the Sony OLED TVs are known for their exceptional motion handling abilities. Is the same true for their LCDs as well?

For some reason after buying an LG OLED C8 and returning due to motion issues, I have suddenly become super sensitive to any motion problems at all. I now even notice motion issues on my plasma! I sometimes wonder if it's my eyes playing tricks on me.

But basically I am looking to find the TV that handles motion the best.

Mike

xbox/psn: duke63031
hockeynut is offline  
post #8557 of 9719 Old 05-16-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
RE: "I have half a mind to swap it out in her den when she's out of town next week and see now long it takes her to notice, then see if she lets me leave it there after she calms down LOL."

***Nice move! It sounds like you got a heckuva price. Make sure that no dust gets into the box to protect your TV. And if your garage is like mine - - it can get hot in the summer time and cold in the winter although you shouldn't have that problem in California. Point is - - make sure it is protected and away from anything that can bump into it. And heaven forbid your wife decides to "clean out" the junk in the garage and pitches your TV while you're on a business trip or away from your house.

Gee - - maybe you could use some double-sided tape and affix a "Panny" logo to the new 49" Sony 900F. Kinda like my friend who put a BMW "crest" on an old Nissan. He even had some BMW logos on the back. People kept asking him - "What kinda BMW is that!"
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #8558 of 9719 Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
The one I kept has like 2 dead pixels near the same area on the far left of the screen (maybe 3” or so from the edge) that aren’t visible from 5ft back unless on an all white or very light colored scene.

I can’t see them at all from my 10ft back seating distance not even if I’m looking for them. Hard to spot em from 5ft back. One of the panels they sent me had a cluster of em in the middle that looked like a crosshair, was ridiculous.

If you do go looking for them and find some just take a step back and see if you can see them from areas you normally watch from or etc. Don’t expect a flawless panel because most of the time you’ll be disappointed. I believe mine is within manufacturing tolerances. I’m sure my retailer would’ve let me swap again, but, I’ve been using it for over a year now and don’t ever see them unless I get up close and really look.
I think I can accept almost any reasonable flaw other than dead pixels. Not really because I can see them, but it's my anxiety and OCD. I just couldn't handle even knowing they are there even if I can't see them from where I'm sitting. I hope that makes sense.

I also feel that a brand new TV should never have dead pixels out of the box. That is an automatic return for me. I know not every panel is gonna be perfect, and I'm OK with that. (took me a while to realize this because I'm a perfectionist) I've decided to not even do any testing on the TV when I get it. As long as there are no dead pixels or very obvious flaws, I will be happy. I'm learning not to go looking for things I don't want to find.
pvarck31 is offline  
post #8559 of 9719 Old 05-16-2019, 05:16 PM
Member
 
Educated Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***I found the app on my 900F under "Privilege 4K." It installed but I couldn't get any of the demos to play. They'd load then dark screen and nothing. I have a fast, wired internet connection so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll try again tomorrow.
I did the same as you, had to set up an account and everything and there were like 4 demos and to be honest was kind of underwhelmed? I guess shows like planet earth etc have really spoiled us because I thought those shows way more stunning personally? That is not to say this won't be brilliant but I didn't find these examples to be anything super wow compared to what we can stream from other sources right now: Netflix etc.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
Educated Idiot is offline  
post #8560 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
But basically I am looking to find the TV that handles motion the best.

Sony in general is considered the motion king. Listen to Vincent or RTINGS or almost any professional reviewer and they will state the same.
hockeynut, fgsouza and PlanetAVS like this.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
Coercion Shaman is offline  
post #8561 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 AM
Member
 
Jeff5347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated Idiot View Post
I did the same as you, had to set up an account and everything and there were like 4 demos and to be honest was kind of underwhelmed? I guess shows like planet earth etc have really spoiled us because I thought those shows way more stunning personally? That is not to say this won't be brilliant but I didn't find these examples to be anything super wow compared to what we can stream from other sources right now: Netflix etc.
How did you guys get a code. I dl'd the app and tried to sign in but they asked for a verification code

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Jeff5347 is online now  
post #8562 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Educated Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5347 View Post
How did you guys get a code. I dl'd the app and tried to sign in but they asked for a verification code

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Since i did the free one I did not need a verification code, I just had to make an account (name and password) for the app after I downloaded and launched it. I only had access to 4 minute clips to 4 different IMAX programs. To me it was a curiosity but personally kind of not worth it.

I believe that if you buy one of the newer Sony TVs from 2019 maybe you get a code and a free movie download though?

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
Educated Idiot is offline  
post #8563 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5347 View Post
How did you guys get a code. I dl'd the app and tried to sign in but they asked for a verification code

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You need to register an account, which triggers the code.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #8564 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated Idiot View Post
I did the same as you, had to set up an account and everything and there were like 4 demos and to be honest was kind of underwhelmed? I guess shows like planet earth etc have really spoiled us because I thought those shows way more stunning personally? That is not to say this won't be brilliant but I didn't find these examples to be anything super wow compared to what we can stream from other sources right now: Netflix etc.
After hearing about Privilege4K, I poked around on the Google Play store for other 4K content. There are some other apps with free 4K content, probably more for demo purposes than real content. Holy Places 4K is not bad (stalls sometimes), OK Video is foreign language, Nature Relax 4K is subscription based but has a bunch of free 4K SDR long videos. Pluto has a free 4K streaming channel as well.
Educated Idiot likes this.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #8565 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Member
 
Educated Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
You need to register an account, which triggers the code.
It's weird, because I have a verification email that I registered but I still don't remember ever getting or using an actual code. That does not mean that my partszheimer's isn't kicking in though.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
Educated Idiot is offline  
post #8566 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Member
 
trdtac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Vudu seems to be good at responding to bugs. Vudu HDR was messed up after the first Oreo update (6.5830?), they fixed it within a couple of weeks.

Seems like Vudu fixed the 5.1 surround bug. Just tested it and its working.
trdtac is offline  
post #8567 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
So I know the Sony OLED TVs are known for their exceptional motion handling abilities. Is the same true for their LCDs as well?

For some reason after buying an LG OLED C8 and returning due to motion issues, I have suddenly become super sensitive to any motion problems at all. I now even notice motion issues on my plasma! I sometimes wonder if it's my eyes playing tricks on me.

But basically I am looking to find the TV that handles motion the best.
***I'm a huge hockey fan and the Sony 900F has been great for hockey. Same for the Sony 900E. From what I've been told - - Plasmas handle motion exquisitely. Maybe you are looking for it too intensely? Whatever TV you buy - get a solid return policy. That way you can always exchange or get a full refund. And remember - - with cable and satellite, there can be "glitches" with the transmission that look like motion issues. Especially with live events.
naustin likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #8568 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hockeynut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MO
Posts: 1,235
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***I'm a huge hockey fan and the Sony 900F has been great for hockey. Same for the Sony 900E. From what I've been told - - Plasmas handle motion exquisitely. Maybe you are looking for it too intensely? Whatever TV you buy - get a solid return policy. That way you can always exchange or get a full refund. And remember - - with cable and satellite, there can be "glitches" with the transmission that look like motion issues. Especially with live events.
That's great to hear as I'm a huge hockey fan as well. I know, shocker right. What's funny is I don't notice the motion issues with live events. I notice it with all other material. Cable, Bluray, Netflix. I probably am looking too intensely. I just need to relax. LOL. The motion issues are really evident with a dark object with a light background on fast moving scenes. It's almost like there are frames missing or something.

Mike

xbox/psn: duke63031
hockeynut is offline  
post #8569 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Anderegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Posted some new and improved SDR and HDR calibrations in the X900F settings thread, for those who are interested. Updated settings always available in the link in my signature.

SDR BT.1886 2.4 gamma
Cinema Home
Expert 2
Brightness 3 (for 100cd/m)
Contrast Max
Gamma Min
Black level 50
LD user preference
X-tended not recommended for SDR
Color 51
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -4
B-Gain -6
R-Bias 13
G-Bias 14
B-Bias 9

10 Point Expert 2
Point 1 19 18 8
Point 2 5 5 2
Point 3 -2 -1 0
Point 4 0 -1 -1
Point 5 -2 -2 -1
Point 6 -3 -3 -1
Point 7 -2 -3 0
Point 8 -2 -2 -1
Point 9 -1 -1 0
Point 10 0 -1 2

HDR10 (Dolby Vision set contrast to Max)
Cinema Pro
Expert 1
Brightness Max
Contrast 92
Gamma 0
Black level 50
LD High
X-tended Medium
Color 50
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -5
B-Gain -5
R-Bias -2
G-Bias 2
B-Bias -5

10 Point Expert 1
Point 1 2 0 -5
Point 2 -6 -5 -1
Point 3 -7 -7 -6
Point 4 -7 -8 -8
Point 5 -6 -4 -4
Point 6 -4 -4 -4
Point 7 0 0 0
Point 8 0 0 -4
Point 9 0 0 -2
Point 10 0 0 0
fgsouza and Primestar31 like this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
Anderegg is offline  
post #8570 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 13
can someone tell me what the 1:1 value is on this tv's settings when it comes to the gamma?

Does 1.8 = (min, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, max)?
Does 2.2 = (min, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, max)?
Does 2.4 = (min, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, max)?
DreMarceaux is offline  
post #8571 of 9719 Old 05-17-2019, 11:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Do these HDR10 settings apply to game mode for games also?

I wanna make sure I have the right settings for gaming on my One X.
pvarck31 is offline  
post #8572 of 9719 Old 05-18-2019, 05:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Any of you guys use the live color feature. Why or why not?
Ryan Kittle is offline  
post #8573 of 9719 Old 05-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Wish I could post the picture I just took of my new 900F. Significantly less blooming. Watching 4k aquaman, extended dynamic range high, live color medium, dolby vision, and the black bars looked great. My previous 900f would have obvious blooming when there was brightness near the black bars.
bytor99999 likes this.
Ryan Kittle is offline  
post #8574 of 9719 Old 05-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Member
 
BassLake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvarck31 View Post
Do these HDR10 settings apply to game mode for games also?

I wanna make sure I have the right settings for gaming on my One X.
They won't be calibrated settings. Due to tolerances every TV is different and the factory calibration will be closest to optimal. Whether you like them or not is another matter.
pvarck31 likes this.
BassLake is offline  
post #8575 of 9719 Old 05-18-2019, 05:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Posted some new and improved SDR and HDR calibrations in the X900F settings thread, for those who are interested. Updated settings always available in the link in my signature.

SDR BT.1886 2.4 gamma
Cinema Home
Expert 2
Brightness 3 (for 100cd/m)
Contrast Max
Gamma Min
Black level 50
LD user preference
X-tended not recommended for SDR
Color 51
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -4
B-Gain -6
R-Bias 13
G-Bias 14
B-Bias 9

10 Point Expert 2
Point 1 19 18 8
Point 2 5 5 2
Point 3 -2 -1 0
Point 4 0 -1 -1
Point 5 -2 -2 -1
Point 6 -3 -3 -1
Point 7 -2 -3 0
Point 8 -2 -2 -1
Point 9 -1 -1 0
Point 10 0 -1 2

HDR10 (Dolby Vision set contrast to Max)
Cinema Pro
Expert 1
Brightness Max
Contrast 92
Gamma 0
Black level 50
LD High
X-tended Medium
Color 50
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -5
B-Gain -5
R-Bias -2
G-Bias 2
B-Bias -5

10 Point Expert 1
Point 1 2 0 -5
Point 2 -6 -5 -1
Point 3 -7 -7 -6
Point 4 -7 -8 -8
Point 5 -6 -4 -4
Point 6 -4 -4 -4
Point 7 0 0 0
Point 8 0 0 -4
Point 9 0 0 -2
Point 10 0 0 0

where do I go to access the 10 point adjustments?
Jamester2374 is offline  
post #8576 of 9719 Old 05-18-2019, 06:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvarck31 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
The one I kept has like 2 dead pixels near the same area on the far left of the screen (maybe 3” or so from the edge) that aren’t visible from 5ft back unless on an all white or very light colored scene.

I can’t see them at all from my 10ft back seating distance not even if I’m looking for them. Hard to spot em from 5ft back. One of the panels they sent me had a cluster of em in the middle that looked like a crosshair, was ridiculous.

If you do go looking for them and find some just take a step back and see if you can see them from areas you normally watch from or etc. Don’t expect a flawless panel because most of the time you’ll be disappointed. I believe mine is within manufacturing tolerances. I’m sure my retailer would’ve let me swap again, but, I’ve been using it for over a year now and don’t ever see them unless I get up close and really look.
I think I can accept almost any reasonable flaw other than dead pixels. Not really because I can see them, but it's my anxiety and OCD. I just couldn't handle even knowing they are there even if I can't see them from where I'm sitting. I hope that makes sense.

I also feel that a brand new TV should never have dead pixels out of the box. That is an automatic return for me. I know not every panel is gonna be perfect, and I'm OK with that. (took me a while to realize this because I'm a perfectionist) I've decided to not even do any testing on the TV when I get it. As long as there are no dead pixels or very obvious flaws, I will be happy. I'm learning not to go looking for things I don't want to find.
I’m a perfectionist also lol sometimes it’s not cool but after getting my 75x900f I realized that having a perfect panel is almost impossible and swapping can just make it worst and piss you off even more,I had this happen to me when i swapped out my xbr65x850c 3 times and at the end When i gave up i was stuck with a worst panel then the start , even those that say that they have a perfect panel will still have a certain amount of dse and clouding that’s normal for this tech , mine has a very acceptable and minor amount of dse and clouding and no visible banding during normal use , I am a hockey fan so that is the ultimate dse test and i don’t notice any of it same for those that are watching with me , i noticed a little when watching the dunkirk uhd when in some scenes the camera pans when the planes make aggressive turns and that was the only time, and by the way the movie looks insane on our sets , so for me it’s not worth taking the 75 of the wall repacking it and maybe getting something worse I’ve learned to take it a little more easy lol , that just my two cents , but everyone is different so ....
pvarck31 likes this.
Max4swag is offline  
post #8577 of 9719 Old 05-18-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
That's great to hear as I'm a huge hockey fan as well. I know, shocker right. What's funny is I don't notice the motion issues with live events. I notice it with all other material. Cable, Bluray, Netflix. I probably am looking too intensely. I just need to relax. LOL. The motion issues are really evident with a dark object with a light background on fast moving scenes. It's almost like there are frames missing or something.
***Are you using "MotionFlow?" What are your settings? I have "MotionFlow" "On" with "Smoothness" at 3 and "Clearness" at 1. It works great for hockey and everything else. But maybe your eyes are a little more sensitive. Experiment. Maybe even turn off "MotionFlow" and see if that helps or not.

(From Tom's Guide - https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-tv...w-5605-18.html)

Customize MotionFlow settings. If you wish to adjust MotionFlow settings instead of simply turning it off, you can use the slider controls to adjust both the smoothness and clearness settings. When in doubt, turning down these settings will reduce the soap-opera effect to some degree, allowing you to dial in the effect to your level of comfort.

The Clearness setting addresses image processing used to reduce the blurring that occurs when quick-moving objects move across the screen at low frame rates, boosting the frame rate by estimating what image would come in between two frames of content, and adding the interstitial frames. This is the biggest offender in the soap-opera effect, so keep this to a minimum.

The Smoothness setting reduces the stutter effect caused by using a high frame (60Hz or higher) to display lower-frame-rate content, such as 24Hz cinema film. If you’re still having issues, pull back on this after reducing the Clearness setting.

- More info, "What Is Motion Flow" by Steve Lander: https://itstillworks.com/sony-motionflow-17525.html
hockeynut likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #8578 of 9719 Old 05-18-2019, 08:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I was looking to catch up on the new season of agents of shield...it looked quite terrible. I have a dtv 1080i feed. I tried tweaking the clearness setting but it didn't help. I guess the feed was too compressed with blocking and banding everywhere.
mooshoodragon is offline  
post #8579 of 9719 Old 05-18-2019, 12:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi gang,

I’ve had this TV for about a year now and thoroughly enjoying it. However over the past month or so I’ve been noticing a great deal of colour banding when gaming, mainly when looking up at the sky box in a variety of different games (day&night)

Even when using the smooth gradation function on the tv it can still be seen slightly. I just wondered whether this is normal and has always been there, or there could be a problem somewhere.

Thank you for your time

Josh
Mansfield193 is offline  
post #8580 of 9719 Old 05-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield193 View Post
Hi gang,

I’ve had this TV for about a year now and thoroughly enjoying it. However over the past month or so I’ve been noticing a great deal of colour banding when gaming, mainly when looking up at the sky box in a variety of different games (day&night)

Even when using the smooth gradation function on the tv it can still be seen slightly. I just wondered whether this is normal and has always been there, or there could be a problem somewhere.

Thank you for your time

Josh
I can't speak specifically for this TV because I'm not getting it until Monday. But this seems to be common with sky's in video games.

I think if it's not too distracting to you then I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if the smooth gradation helps make it tolerable.

And just generally speaking, that sounds like a great feature on this TV.
pvarck31 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off