2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 287 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4120Likes

post #8581 of 8927 Old 05-18-2019, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

The Clearness setting addresses image processing used to reduce the blurring that occurs when quick-moving objects move across the screen at low frame rates, boosting the frame rate by estimating what image would come in between two frames of content, and adding the interstitial frames. This is the biggest offender in the soap-opera effect, so keep this to a minimum.

The Smoothness setting reduces the stutter effect caused by using a high frame (60Hz or higher) to display lower-frame-rate content, such as 24Hz cinema film. If you’re still having issues, pull back on this after reducing the Clearness setting.

- More info, "What Is Motion Flow" by Steve Lander: https://itstillworks.com/sony-motionflow-17525.html
Actually, they are the opposite, I think you may have accidentally transposed the descriptors. Also, Clearness is also know as Black Frame Insertion, or BFI for short, for those that want to google research it some more. I find cranking the Clearness to MAX and increasing my backlight to MAX to compensate, really helps out on 24Hz movies when the camera pans and windows and buildings do that little jerky trail across the screen...not judder, but that ugly stutter as the pixel response of the TV is not the greatest.

Paul
hockeynut and fgsouza like this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8582 of 8927 Old 05-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamester2374 View Post
where do I go to access the 10 point adjustments?
Press Action Menu/Picture adjustments/Advanced Settings/Color/Adv. Color Temperature/Color Gamma Adjustment Points

When you press Color Gamma Adjustment Points, you can right or left arrow to select each point, and down arrow to select the R G or B off-set for each point. The RGB Gain and RGB Bias are the 2 point system. Ensure you first select the COLOR TEMPERATURE in Action Menu/Picture adjustments/Advanced Settings/Color/Color Temperature before making adjustments, as Color Temperature selects which settings you are adjusting in the Color Gamma Adjustment Points menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshoodragon View Post
I was looking to catch up on the new season of agents of shield...it looked quite terrible. I have a dtv 1080i feed. I tried tweaking the clearness setting but it didn't help. I guess the feed was too compressed with blocking and banding everywhere.
Could always wait until the new season makes it onto Netflix in glorious 1080 24p 5Mbps happiness. Agents of Shield is an ABC Network show, and ABC broadcasts 720 60p, so I find that streaming it in 1080p looks a lot better compared to my 720p mpeg2 reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield193 View Post
Hi gang,

I’ve had this TV for about a year now and thoroughly enjoying it. However over the past month or so I’ve been noticing a great deal of colour banding when gaming, mainly when looking up at the sky box in a variety of different games (day&night)

Even when using the smooth gradation function on the tv it can still be seen slightly. I just wondered whether this is normal and has always been there, or there could be a problem somewhere.

Thank you for your time

Josh
You will also notice banding in HDR10 and Dolby Vision, even with proper 10 bit HDMI input and signal. I only use smooth gradient on HDR material and set to LOW, as I find it can reduce those fine line gradiations in say a deep blue sky. On SDR though, you pump it to max and any step actually, and you will see a definitive blurring of the entire picture. 8 bit is 8 bit, the banding you see is simply the banding that exists.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #8583 of 8927 Old 05-18-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So Paul you set Smooth Gradiation to max with SDR content? And low with HDR? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8584 of 8927 Old 05-18-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Actually, they are the opposite, I think you may have accidentally transposed the descriptors. Also, Clearness is also know as Black Frame Insertion, or BFI for short, for those that want to google research it some more. I find cranking the Clearness to MAX and increasing my backlight to MAX to compensate, really helps out on 24Hz movies when the camera pans and windows and buildings do that little jerky trail across the screen...not judder, but that ugly stutter as the pixel response of the TV is not the greatest.

Paul
***Thanks. I checked and it’s a direct quotation, so it looks like Tom has it reversed. I should have examined it closer.
fgsouza likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #8585 of 8927 Old 05-18-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
***OTA versus cable or satellite: If you really want to see how compression affects picture quality, then take a look at the PGA Golf Tournament on cable/satellite and then OTA. What a noticeable difference. You can clearly see the blades of grass with OTA. Especially the tall grass in the rough. Much finer detail and clarity. You can even see the small leaves on the trees from the tee box on a couple of holes. Stunning picture. Brighter, as well.

By the way - after seeing the course layout at Bethpage Black, I have ZERO interest in ever playing (or imagining playing) that golf course. Way too tight and narrow fairways. Rough area with tall grass where cattle and cows could graze. I’d be “in jail” on every single hole. I’d probably chuck it after nine holes and start drinking at the clubhouse.
bytor99999 likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 05-18-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #8586 of 8927 Old 05-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
***Thanks. I checked and it’s a direct quotation, so it looks like Tom has it reversed. I should have examined it closer.
Sorry, I leave it off...I meant if you turn it to MAX (SDR) you will see the entire picture blur out.

Paul

post #8587 of 8927 Old 05-18-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
***OTA versus cable or satellite: If you really want to see how compression affects picture quality, then take a look at the PGA Golf Tournament on cable/satellite and then OTA. What a noticeable difference. You can clearly see the blades of grass with OTA. Especially the tall grass in the rough. Much finer detail and clarity. You can even see the small leaves on the trees from the tee box on a couple of holes. Stunning picture. Brighter, as well.

By the way - after seeing the course layout at Bethpage Black, I have ZERO interest in ever playing (or imagining playing) that golf course. Way too tight and narrow fairways. Rough area with tall grass where cattle and cows could graze. I’d be “in jail” on every single hole. I’d probably chuck it after nine holes and start drinking at the clubhouse.
I would join at the 19th hole!, as my property for “jail” on that course would bring out the 4 letter words.

Sony XBR-75X900F, Marantz SR6012, Rotel RMB-1095, Monster HTS3600MKII, Klipsch RF-5, RC-7, RS-7, RP140SA, Dual SI-18 DIY Subs, Behringer EPX 4000, Crown XLi 1500, Fluance RT Turntable/Sumiko Olympia Cartridge, Fire Stick 4K
post #8588 of 8927 Old 05-18-2019, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
A few weeks ago our old 50" Panny GT50 Plasma TV in the wife's…

….. I secretly tested it in my Man-Room side-by-side with my 55X900E for several days then packed it back up in it's original box, and hid that box inside my empty 55X900E box we have stored in the back of the garage so the wife will never know it's really there ha ha. Now i have a really good backup TV sitting on deck for her when her old Plasma finally does die.

I have half a mind to swap it out in her den when she's out of town next week and see now long it takes her to notice, then see if she lets me leave it there after she calms down LOL.

post #8589 of 8927 Old 05-18-2019, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 9
How many of you guys play games in HDR? Is it hard to dial in setting for them or are they all mostly the same settings?
post #8590 of 8927 Old 05-18-2019, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvarck31 View Post
How many of you guys play games in HDR? Is it hard to dial in setting for them or are they all mostly the same settings?
Here are my best HDR10 calibrated settings for the X900F. Works amazeballs on Forza Horizon 4...the curve allows Forza to indicate 1200nit output from the in game HDR brightness slider. Make sure you run 10 bit 4:2:2 limited if you are aiming for 4K 60Hz.

Paul
cinemodS and pvarck31 like this.

post #8591 of 8927 Old 05-18-2019, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 6337 Post(s)
Liked: 6334
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
A few weeks ago our old 50" Panny GT50 Plasma TV in the wife's Den suddenly started buzzing loudly and became unwatchable. I wanted to fix it but she said lets just get a new TV and my first thought is "Ok, lets run over to BB and grab a Sony 49X900F" (since she does like my 55X900E in the Man-Room) but when i told her it's a thousand bucks plus tax she stopped me right there and said no way is she paying that much for a TV. WTF.

So she had me look into the current brands/models of 48"-50" LCD TVs below $400 (size & price limits are apparently non-negotiable). I scanned the various TCL, Vizio, Hisense, etc threads here and went to BB to have a look at em but i wasn't getting any warm fuzzy's on these bargain brands. This is our primary nightly display and we don't want a crappy TV so i checked Craigslist for used Panny Plasmas and Sony LCD TVs and found a few possible candidates, but they were over her $400 budget. She said no-go. So the next day i removed the rear cover of the GT50 and sure enough some board screws were loose (a common issue) so i snugged em down and the TV is virtually silent again and now we don't need a new TV afterall. Wife is super happy too since it didn't cost her anything.

But there was this one ad on Craigslist that i kept seeing for a lightly used 49X900F nearby in perfect like-new condition for less than half the price of a new one. It was nagging away at me so i finally contacted the seller - he had size remorse a few months after he got it and replaced it with a much larger screen and just wanted this one gone. So i went over and checked it out and bought it on the spot even though we don't need it. The deal was too good to pass up. And we WILL eventually need it i'm sure. I secretly tested it in my Man-Room side-by-side with my 55X900E for several days then packed it back up in it's original box, and hid that box inside my empty 55X900E box we have stored in the back of the garage so the wife will never know it's really there ha ha. Now i have a really good backup TV sitting on deck for her when her old Plasma finally does die.

I have half a mind to swap it out in her den when she's out of town next week and see now long it takes her to notice, then see if she lets me leave it there after she calms down LOL.
You only live once
post #8592 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just got the update pushed to my tv , and now when I watch movies from my hdd it starts to cut, and also dts is freezing and glitching certain movies on my hdd , especially 4K hdr, wasn’t this suppose to be fixed , all was well before the update
post #8593 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Posted some new and improved SDR and HDR calibrations in the X900F settings thread, for those who are interested. Updated settings always available in the link in my signature.

SDR BT.1886 2.4 gamma
Cinema Home
Expert 2
Brightness 3 (for 100cd/m)
Contrast Max
Gamma Min
Black level 50
LD user preference
X-tended not recommended for SDR
Color 51
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -4
B-Gain -6
R-Bias 13
G-Bias 14
B-Bias 9

10 Point Expert 2
Point 1 19 18 8
Point .......

Tried this settings this morning watching Moto GP....best picture quality so far. Im very satisfied with the results in SDR.
Thanks for sharing Anderegg

Go Marquez 93
post #8594 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am ready to buy a new TV and am debating between the XBR85X850G and the XBR85X900F. I watch content mainly through my Fire box and some OTA and I dont do any gaming. Is the XBR85X900F worth the extra $1000?
post #8595 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboe View Post
I am ready to buy a new TV and am debating between the XBR85X850G and the XBR85X900F. I watch content mainly through my Fire box and some OTA and I dont do any gaming. Is the XBR85X900F worth the extra $1000?
There are no reviews from the major review sites for the 850G series yet. If you have the budget, the 900F will be better due to local dimming and the faster processor. The 850G does have eARC which is a nice advantage in addition to the lower price.

If you can live without Dolby Vision you might want to consider the 2018 85 inch 850F as well, which has been selling for a bit over 2K.
post #8596 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdtac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Vudu seems to be good at responding to bugs. Vudu HDR was messed up after the first Oreo update (6.5830?), they fixed it within a couple of weeks.

Seems like Vudu fixed the 5.1 surround bug. Just tested it and its working. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Yup. Mine is fixed too. I just started watching Hulu and realized it was 2-channel outpt as well. Has it always been this way? No 5.1 from Hulu?
post #8597 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Looking for some advice. I'm not trying to discuss price. I'm just giving it for reference, to get accurate advice. A local retailer has an open box 65" X900F for over $300 off the current price. It doesn't have the stand (don't need because it will be mounted), remote (don't need because I have a Harmony), or documentation (can be found online). My big concern is that it was the display unit, so who knows how many hours it has on it. It still has the standard 45-day return policy and 1-year warranty. Should I be concerned about the fact that it was the display unit and the number of hours it has on it? My current TV is a 2012 plasma that has over 14,000 hours on it, but I don't know if that is a bigger concern on new LEDs. Thanks for any advice you all can give.
post #8598 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by unachris View Post
Looking for some advice. I'm not trying to discuss price. I'm just giving it for reference, to get accurate advice. A local retailer has an open box 65" X900F for over $300 off the current price. It doesn't have the stand (don't need because it will be mounted), remote (don't need because I have a Harmony), or documentation (can be found online). My big concern is that it was the display unit, so who knows how many hours it has on it. It still has the standard 45-day return policy and 1-year warranty. Should I be concerned about the fact that it was the display unit and the number of hours it has on it? My current TV is a 2012 plasma that has over 14,000 hours on it, but I don't know if that is a bigger concern on new LEDs. Thanks for any advice you all can give.

$300 off isn't enough for me to even consider with everything missing and the unknown hours on it.

They're $1,599 now at BB so the asking price is $1,299?

If I wanted the TV bad enough I would offer them no more than $999 and if they said no I'd walk.
geoffrsc, PlanetAVS and unachris like this.
post #8599 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
not worth the discount for the item missing, you could get the price for those items from SONY and see where you end up, it could give you some bargaining chip. the tv run almost 12 hours a day at BB. i would not recommend for the price. may be under 1K.
unachris likes this.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer SC6000: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #8600 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 24
ill wait for memorial day weekend IF there are sales on the 65.

as i understand it shipped from greentoe warranty is included and i can buy squaretrade warranty to go along with it.

anyone order from there recently and got it for $1300?
post #8601 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Here are my best HDR10 calibrated settings for the X900F. Works amazeballs on Forza Horizon 4...the curve allows Forza to indicate 1200nit output from the in game HDR brightness slider. Make sure you run 10 bit 4:2:2 limited if you are aiming for 4K 60Hz.

Paul
Thank you for this. But I did hear you shouldn't mess with your 10 point by yourself since everybody's panel is different. Any truth to that?
post #8602 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for this. But I did hear you shouldn't mess with your 10 point by yourself since everybody's panel is different. Any truth to that?
If you want something other than stock blue Sony white balance, BT.1886, or anything close to calibrated HDR10, you either need to buy a meter and calibrate, or use someone elses settings. And WB will vary per panel, but for the most part, the GAMMA CURVE, what you change for BT.1886 and HDR10, is independent of color hue. If you use a shared calibration 10 point, you can always nudge your RGB Gain and Bias if you see any highlight or shadow hues that are not right.

Paul
pvarck31 likes this.

Last edited by Anderegg; 05-19-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #8603 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
How is this TV compared to LG Nano Cell 9 Series (2019)?

I bought the 75” X900F recently (so I still have little time to return it), and then I found the new LG Nano Cell 9 Series (2019), the 75” of both TVs have the same price but the LG one is 2019 model, so it comes with eARC which is big deal to me but I don’t to jump with that if picture quality is worse than x900f. RTINGS haven’t reviewed the LG TV so I can’t judge on the TV quality and performance. I have the TV in dark room and my main usages are Movies, TV shows, and PC gaming (which the x900f is kinda disappointing to me)
post #8604 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Don't. Display units are the worst. 300$ off is not worth it.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
PlanetAVS and unachris like this.
post #8605 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
If you want something other than stock blue Sony white balance, BT.1886, or anything close to calibrated HDR10, you either need to buy a meter and calibrate, or use someone elses settings. And WB will vary per panel, but for the most part, the GAMMA CURVE, what you change for BT.1886 and HDR10, is independent of color hue. If you use a shared calibration 10 point, you can always nude your RGB Gain and Bias if you see any highlight or shadow hues that are not right.

Paul
Ok, thanks. I am getting the TV tomorrow and will try your settings and let you know how it looks.
post #8606 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 09:49 PM
DrA

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Ok, thanks. I am getting the TV tomorrow and will try your settings and let you know how it looks.
Help!
I have STR-DN1080 connected to HDMI 3 input. What input to connect to Apple TV for DV and Atmos to work. I am avoiding to use Receiver inputs.

Version 8.0.0

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #8607 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post
Help!
I have STR-DN1080 connected to HDMI 3 input. What input to connect to Apple TV for DV and Atmos to work. I am avoiding to use Receiver inputs.

Version 8.0.0
I'm sorry, I can't help you. I won't have the TV until tomorrow. Perhaps you quoted the wrong person?
post #8608 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 10:23 PM
DrA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
That's a very handsome cabinet. One recommendation regarding the wheels; after you're all wired and the Corridor is rolled into place, drop down the permanent legs so the cabinet isn't sitting on the wheels all the time.
I returned the slim version of the BDI Corridor because the 85" legs barely fit on 15 1/2'' deep top. Also they did not inform that the back was non-removable and only the wider version is best for my TV and equipment. I and ended up with this
BDI Signal 8329 Triple Wide Entertainment Cabinet in Graphite.

post #8609 of 8927 Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't help you. I won't have the TV until tomorrow. Perhaps you quoted the wrong person?
HDMI2...but HDMI 1 and 4 can also do 4K HDR, assuming your device can send a 24Hz signal...most devices like Chromecast and Fire TV force 4K 60Hz, which requires additional "enhanced" bandwidth.

Paul
DrA likes this.

post #8610 of 8927 Old 05-20-2019, 12:05 AM
DrA

Quote:
HDMI2...but HDMI 1 and 4 can also do 4K HDR, assuming your device can send a 24Hz signal...most devices like Chromecast and Fire TV force 4K 60Hz, which requires additional "enhanced" bandwidth.

Paul
Thank you. I connected Apple TV to HDMI 2 and it is working fine for DV and Atmos now but did not work connected to HDMI 4. Can it work if I change the settings to 24Hz in Apple TV?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page