2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 288 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4121Likes

post #8611 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post
Thank you. I connected Apple TV to HDMI 2 and it is working fine for DV and Atmos now but did not work connected to HDMI 4. Can it work if I change the settings to 24Hz in Apple TV?
Yes, but if it switches to 60Hz again for whatever reason you will get a black picture and have to plug into HDMI 2 just to see the menu again.

Paul
DrA likes this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8612 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 12:11 AM
DrA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvarck31 View Post
I'm sorry, I can't help you. I won't have the TV until tomorrow. Perhaps you quoted the wrong person?
NP Enjoy your new TV tomorrow. The best considering the price.

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #8613 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 AM
DrA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Yes, but if it switches to 60Hz again for whatever reason you will get a black picture and have to plug into HDMI 2 just to see the menu again.

Paul
It was very frustrating to see that black screen several times. Apple is not that perfect people think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8614 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
It was very frustrating to see that black screen several times. Apple is not that perfect people think.
It's very annoying to have Sony not have HDMI 1 and 4 be HDMI 2.0...although they contain the ability to be triggered for HDR, which is weird, because that's supposed to be an HDMI 2.0 function. :-\

Paul
PlanetAVS and naustin like this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #8615 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I bought the 49 inch x900f a few weeks ago. If I sit directly in front the tv and 2.5 m away, along with some strong bias lighting behind the tv, I see virtually no blooming and the black is basically oled black, which is very impressive. However, once I start moving closer to the tv, it quickly becomes a mess. 2 sides become washed out and the blooming becomes very obvious. Such a shame because the tv is brighter than my other oled but I cannot sit that far from the tv that is supposed to be used as monitor for gaming/movies.
post #8616 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by unachris View Post
Looking for some advice. I'm not trying to discuss price. I'm just giving it for reference, to get accurate advice. A local retailer has an open box 65" X900F for over $300 off the current price. It doesn't have the stand (don't need because it will be mounted), remote (don't need because I have a Harmony), or documentation (can be found online). My big concern is that it was the display unit, so who knows how many hours it has on it. It still has the standard 45-day return policy and 1-year warranty. Should I be concerned about the fact that it was the display unit and the number of hours it has on it? My current TV is a 2012 plasma that has over 14,000 hours on it, but I don't know if that is a bigger concern on new LEDs. Thanks for any advice you all can give.

Thank you to those of you that replied with advice! I'll wait until I can get a better deal on a new TV.
post #8617 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Help!
I have STR-DN1080 connected to HDMI 3 input. What input to connect to Apple TV for DV and Atmos to work. I am avoiding to use Receiver inputs.
Version 8.0.0
You have to make changes to both the X900F and the Apple TV 4K.
On the X900F: Home-Settings-External Inputs-HDMI signal format>Enhanced format.
This enables 60p 4:4:4 on HDMI 3 & HDMI 2
On the Apple TV 4K, Settings-Video and Audio:
DONT click "Enable Dolby Vision". This would set Dolby Vision as the default, which you DONT want.
Format: 4K SDR> Click and set to 4K SDR 60Hz. (Don't select 4K Dolby Vision)
HDMI Output: Click and set to YCbCr
Chroma: Click and set to 4:4:4
Match Content: Click and set both "Match Dynamic Range" and "Match Frame Rate" ON
Check HDMI Connection: Click after setting the above. (it takes 90 sec+) It should say OK
If it fails, you may need to upgrade your cable(s) to Premium Certified HDMI. I use Monoprice 115430 and 115427
Audio Format: Auto, Atmos Available>
These settings will allow the Apple TV 4K to normally send 4K SDR, but switch to HDR or Dolby Vision when available.
I suggest you use the Netflix 4K subscription to play "Our Planet" in Dolby Vision.
You should see a 2-second flash of the Dolby icon in the upper right at the start of the video.
If you connect through your AVR, I assume it can display the audio/video source
(My TX-RZ830 says Dolby Atmos, but doesn't actually say Dolby Vision. It says 4K 23 Hz YCbCr422 24 bit)
To determine if the X900F is displaying Dolby Vision (other than the 2-second flash of the Dolby Vision icon, and the stunning image), click Action Menu-Picture adjustments-Picture Mode should say "Dolby Vision"
Enjoy!
NCGoldwinger, DrA, fgsouza and 4 others like this.

Sony XBR-85X900F, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.4 Atmos, Apple TV 4K, Oppo BDP-83 (not 4K. Waiting for Sony X800M2), Arris Gateway/Portal (Shaw 1080i), Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime, CalMan Home for Sony, X-Rite i1 Display Pro
post #8618 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
It's very annoying to have Sony not have HDMI 1 and 4 be HDMI 2.0...although they contain the ability to be triggered for HDR, which is weird, because that's supposed to be an HDMI 2.0 function. :-\

Paul
Actually all ports are HDMI 2.0, it's just that ports 1 & 4 are capped at 10.8gbps whereas port 2 & 3 support 18gbps in "enhanced mode". [email protected] fps should work with all ports as long as you not using 4:4: 4 Chroma sub-sampling. I would try each device on ports 1 or 4 before giving up.

rtings article on Chroma-Subsampling

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #8619 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneB2 View Post
DONT click "Enable Dolby Vision". This would set Dolby Vision as the default, which you DONT want.
Match Content: Click and set both "Match Dynamic Range" and "Match Frame Rate" ON
Check HDMI Connection: Click after setting the above. (it takes 90 sec+) It should say OK
If it fails, you may need to upgrade your cable(s) to Premium Certified HDMI. I use Monoprice 115430 and 115427
These settings will allow the Apple TV 4K to normally send 4K SDR, but switch to HDR or Dolby Vision when available.
I suggest you use the Netflix 4K subscription to play "Our Planet" in Dolby Vision.
You should see a 2-second flash of the Dolby icon in the upper right at the start of the video.
(My TX-RZ830 says Dolby Atmos, but doesn't actually say Dolby Vision. It says 4K 23 Hz YCbCr422 24 bit)
To determine if the X900F is displaying Dolby Vision (other than the 2-second flash of the Dolby Vision icon, and the stunning image), click Action Menu-Picture adjustments-Picture Mode should say "Dolby Vision"
Enjoy!
I am actually glad you posted this. I just received an Apple TV 4K last week and was somewhat confused by the "Enable Dolby Vision" part as that seemed like the logical thing to set. But then i noticed it would flash the badge while I was navigating around the home screen? Luckily i had already seen the other recommendation by others to "Match Dynamic Range" and "Match Frame Rate" which were a big improvement apparently once they were added.

I have to say, that using this thing over the built in apps on the Sony is like night and day for me. Smoother all around experience, no more Amazon stuttering mess on 4K material, I want to say that the content actually looks better (but that may be in my head) but the sound is a large improvement to me (having it plugged into my receiver with ATMOS rather than using DD+ Atmos across ARC seems to be a noticeable improvement if you have a system to take advantage of it). Thumbs up for Apple TV 4K, and this is coming from a 99% Android guy.
NCGoldwinger likes this.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #8620 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am a new owner of this TV and here’s something interesting I found out.

I’ve had the TV for around 5 days and all of a sudden there was no sound from the TV when I use any of the smart apps. The picture played fine but there was no sound at all, not even from the TV speakers. The sound played fine in HDMI inputs, both from TV speaker out, and ARC out through HDMI 3. Tried hard power reset, soft reset, everything, with no luck. I bought the TV locally and they sent a tech out. The tech replicated the problem and was going to exchange the TV.

When I was unplugging connections to prepare for the exchange, all of the sudden the sound at the smart apps started working again. Turns out I had plugged in a voip dongle into the USB port of the TV for power, and that killed the sound from internal smart apps. I guess the TV recognize the voip dongle as a voice / sound device and it messed with the sound output. Kinda made sense but also pretty strange. If I put in a usb stick with content to play through the built in video app, it wouldn’t kill the sound from other smart apps. I had a fire stick powered through usb and that didn’t kill the sound. But a voip dongle did it.

Anyways, glad to figure it out. The exchange was free but it would have been a huge hassle to set everything up again.
post #8621 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 105
My 3 week old 55" 900F just had a major issue. I had been using my ATV for HBO NOW but the audio quality or loudness was really low so last night I decided to use the native app on the panel. Once I fired the app up it caused a massive glitch on the entire screen, almost like a bad HDMI handshake then gave me an error to restart the app. I did, it worked (was using for GOT finale), but afterwards I have a thumbprint sized grey area on the bottom right of the panel. I thought maybe this was just going to be present on the app, but I fired up my Dish Hopper and now it's present on any input. Will be returning it. Thankfully I'm an elite + member at BB so I have 45 days for return window as I've had it since April 26th. Question now is go with another 900F replacement if they have a new one or go for the 950G? I'm returning tonight.

HT 7.1.4: Sony X940E, Marantz SR8012, LR: JBL Studio 580's, C: JBL Studio 520c, Surrounds and Rears: JBL Studio 530's, ATMOS: JBL Studio 210's, Sub: HSU VTF-3 mk5
MB 5.1: Sony 55" X950G, Denon X3500H, LR/Surrounds: JBL Studio 270’s, C: JBL Studio 235c, Sub: HSU VTF-2 mk5
Living Room/Office 5.1: Sony 49" 900E's, HTNT5's with wireless rear channels
post #8622 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Could always wait until the new season makes it onto Netflix in glorious 1080 24p 5Mbps happiness. Agents of Shield is an ABC Network show, and ABC broadcasts 720 60p, so I find that streaming it in 1080p looks a lot better compared to my 720p mpeg2 reception.

Paul
I gotta say , after reading that agents is on Netflix ( I didn't know they host it) I checked it out and the quality on NF vs TV is incredible. I have to contemplate on just waiting til this season comes to Netflix. It may make watching it that much more enjoyable

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #8623 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does anyone know the dimensions between the outside of the mounting legs on the XBR85X850G?

I really dont want to have to hang it on the wall and the wife will have a fit if I have to get another stand.....

I really want the 85"....
post #8624 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Tv showing blue dot and won’t turn off! My wife just told me this morning and I’m out of town and can’t help her. She says the remotes aren’t responding. What’s going on with my tv and what should I tell her to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	136712A6-F8D6-4717-B2C7-ECB8C212C395_1558398363304.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	2569348  
post #8625 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
Tv showing blue dot and won’t turn off! My wife just told me this morning and I’m out of town and can’t help her. She says the remotes aren’t responding. What’s going on with my tv and what should I tell her to do?
I would say unplug it for a minute and then plug back in to let it reboot.
post #8626 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Have her unplug the TV from the wall for 3 minutes (or more), then plug it back in and see if it boots up normally.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8627 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 41
That’s what I had her do and she says it’s working now. Strange, what would have caused the tv to do this all of a sudden? We’ve had it for almost a month and never had this happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
Quote:
I would say unplug it for a minute and then plug back in to let it reboot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Quote:
Have her unplug the TV from the wall for 3 minutes (or more), then plug it back in and see if it boots up normally.

post #8628 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
That’s what I had her do and she says it’s working now. Strange, what would have caused the tv to do this all of a sudden? We’ve had it for almost a month and never had this happen.
I updated my TV last week after many months of not being connected to the internet. I cam home today and when I turned it on it turned on with the “Android” banner on the screen like it had recently updated itself or rebooted. After it was up I checked the software version and it was the same as after I updated it last week. Sure seemed like it had updated itself today. Maybe the same with yours?
post #8629 of 8932 Old 05-20-2019, 09:54 PM
DrA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneB2 View Post
Enjoy!
Very useful information. Thank you.

My laptop's Dolby Atmos App audio works connected directly to Sony Str DN 1080 receiver but doesn't work when connected to HDMI 4 TV input. Obviously my Str DN 1080 is connected to HDMI Arc 3, DIRECTv to HDMI 1 and Apple TV to HDMI 2.
Doesn't TV pass through Atmos? TV software version is 6.5850.0207

Last edited by DrA; 05-21-2019 at 03:15 AM.
post #8630 of 8932 Old 05-21-2019, 12:19 AM

Liked: 9
So I got the TV all set up and everything looks fantastic. But I seem to be running into a strange issue with Prime Video. I'm using a Fire Stick and have the resolution set to auto up to 4K. So I go to a couple of 4K shows, Jack Ryan and Hanna, and at first when they came on it showed 2160p on the bottom where it shows the resolution, Same with Hanna, then if I go out and back into the shows it will show 1080p. Then I go back and it will show 2160p again. It just seems to randomly pick a resolution.

I have the input set for the enhanced 4K 60hz. I don't think this is a TV issues. But thought I would ask and see if anyone could have any ideas.

I didn't try this in Netflix because I'm currently not subbed to it.
post #8631 of 8932 Old 05-21-2019, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Problem..

This morning I turned on my TV and found these 2 lines on the bottom. It shows up on live TV, DTV menu screen, PS4, but doesn't show up when I go into the 900F' home or app menu. I rebooted DTV but no change. Itcseems like the TV is working fine, but the display for DirecTV and PS4 are affected. How do i fix this?

It was working normally last night and haven't changed a thing. I made sure hdmi cables were secure.

Last edited by peefles; 05-21-2019 at 05:37 AM.
post #8632 of 8932 Old 05-21-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peefles View Post
This morning I turned on my TV and found these 2 lines on the bottom. It shows up on live TV, DTV menu screen, PS4, but doesn't show up when I go into the 900F' home or app menu. I rebooted DTV but no change. How do i fix this?

It was working normally last night and haven't changed a thing. I made sure hdmi cables were secure.

Seems related to your HDMI cables since the TV itself does not display the lines; only when using an input? Are all the items you mentioned sharing the same HDMI cable/port? Looks like it may be time to replace it possibly. The really cheap but certified Monoprice cables others have recommended here work great for me for the following: Xbox, PS4 and Apple TV 4K.

post #8633 of 8932 Old 05-21-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated Idiot View Post
Seems related to your HDMI cables since the TV itself does not display the lines; only when using an input? Are all the items you mentioned sharing the same HDMI cable/port? Looks like it may be time to replace it possibly. The really cheap but certified Monoprice cables others have recommended here work great for me for the following: Xbox, PS4 and Apple TV 4K.

The HDMI cables I use for the DirecTV and PS4 are 2 separate cables and both monoprice and like 9mo old.
post #8634 of 8932 Old 05-21-2019, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
The HDMI cables I use for the DirecTV and PS4 are 2 separate cables and both monoprice and like 9mo old.
Do a hard reboot on the TV, as it could be the HDMI controller, If it still persist try changing 1 of the cables.

Sony 75X900F
Sony X800
Denon X4400H (5.1.2 Atmos)
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-SA500
SVS PB-2000
post #8635 of 8932 Old 05-21-2019, 06:10 AM

Also just tried a new monoprice cable that was in the bag, never used. Same result.

Should I reset the TV? If so, how?
post #8636 of 8932 Old 05-21-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
Do a hard reboot on the TV, as it could be the HDMI controller, If it still persist try changing 1 of the cables.

How?
post #8637 of 8932 Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
How?
unplug the TV for about 3 min, then plug it back in. you can do a soft reboot by holding down the power button on the remote for 30 sec.
peefles and Educated Idiot like this.

Sony 75X900F
Sony X800
Denon X4400H (5.1.2 Atmos)
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-SA500
SVS PB-2000
post #8638 of 8932 Old 05-21-2019, 06:21 AM

The hard reboot worked! Thank you so much!
post #8639 of 8932 Old 05-21-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
The hard reboot worked! Thank you so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
unplug the TV for about 3 min, then plug it back in. you can do a soft reboot by holding down the power button on the remote for 30 sec.
I love to see it when a plan comes together. Imagine the poor souls that don't know to check with the kind and experienced souls of this forum.

post #8640 of 8932 Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
My laptop's Dolby Atmos App audio works connected directly to Sony Str DN 1080 receiver but doesn't work when connected to HDMI 4 TV input. Obviously my Str DN 1080 is connected to HDMI Arc 3, DIRECTv to HDMI 1 and Apple TV to HDMI 2.
Doesn't TV pass through Atmos? TV software version is 6.5850.0207
I don't think so, but it is complex answer. eARC does (950G), ARC ??? (900F).
See this thread on the subject.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...-hdmi-arc.html
Why not just use input to your AVR?

Sony XBR-85X900F, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.4 Atmos, Apple TV 4K, Oppo BDP-83 (not 4K. Waiting for Sony X800M2), Arris Gateway/Portal (Shaw 1080i), Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime, CalMan Home for Sony, X-Rite i1 Display Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page