2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 290 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4188Likes

post #8671 of 9149 Old 05-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
To be fair, this isn't a issue with the Dolby Vision technology, nor something that Dolby Labs can control. What we have is much like what we had 15 years ago between game software developers and Hardware developers (Nvidia, ATi). The software is years ahead of the hardware needed to fully take advantage of it.

Dolby Vision is developed around a 12bit colour, 10K nit max environment, and TV manufactures are not anywhere close to those specs. We are still limited to 10 bit colour, and just now getting close to 2900 nits. Not until TV manufactures can produce products with 12 bit panels, and become fully entrenched in micro LED production (4K-10K nit) will we see the full potential of Dolby Vision.

What Sony did with Dolby Labs was to help in the development of a Software version of Dolby Vision that could be use in a firmware upgrade to current and future products. Sony did not want to go the route of LG, and Vizio by installing a Dolby Labs provided SOC.

IMO, DV and HDR10 is just a half baked product that can give you an idea of what the tech can achive, but we are just not there yet. Which is why "IMHO" don't use DV or HDR anything as a bases on buying a TV, just buy what is going to give you the best image possible for the content your going to view 90% of the time, which in most cases will not be HDR laced content.

Yeah, I mean the picture on this TV in general is fantastic. And I tried a handful of other DV shows and movies last night and it looked much better than what I first saw with Ozark and Jack Ryan. Most of the HDR stuff also looks really good. At first I was really disappointed with those two shows, but seeing more content I'm really happy.

So whether we are there yet or not, Most everything looks great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8672 of 9149 Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone's remote stop working? I've replaced batteries and I think mine is dead. Curious to see if this is a common issue.
post #8673 of 9149 Old 05-22-2019, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MLB.TV App

Has anybody else had the trouble getting the MLB.TV app work on this TV? I've been going back and forth with the MLB.TV folks on e-mail and they just send me to a boilerplate list that doesn't have this model listed as supported. In spite of the fact that the TV comes with the App of course. Anybody else bump into this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8674 of 9149 Old 05-22-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahid Hadi View Post
Has anyone's remote stop working? I've replaced batteries and I think mine is dead. Curious to see if this is a common issue.
I had a similar "problem" with my remote, but it turned out to be operator error (me).
I mounted my 85X900F on the wall but recessed in a cabinet where a projector screen used to be.
When I sit on the couch with my hand on my lap, holding the remote, the protruding cabinet edge blocks
a straight line from the remote to the IR receptor. The IR receptor is in the area of the "Sony" label at the bottom of the TV.
The solution was to raise my hand (and the remote) 12 inches, off my lap, and point it at the Sony label, or tip the front of the remote up and bounce the IR beam off the ceiling.
I wish the solutions to all my problems were that simple. grin....

Sony XBR-85X900F, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.4 Atmos, Apple TV 4K, Oppo BDP-83 (not 4K. Waiting for Sony X800M2), Arris Gateway/Portal (Shaw 1080i), Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime, CalMan Home for Sony, X-Rite i1 Display Pro
post #8675 of 9149 Old 05-22-2019, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerdms View Post
Has anybody else had the trouble getting the MLB.TV app work on this TV? I've been going back and forth with the MLB.TV folks on e-mail and they just send me to a boilerplate list that doesn't have this model listed as supported. In spite of the fact that the TV comes with the App of course. Anybody else bump into this?

Thanks!
It works mostly fine for me and the PQ is excellent. The only problem I have is that the first time I go to a game the app tells me it is not available. I back out and select the game again and everything is fine. I have an Orioles feed only subscription.

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #8676 of 9149 Old 05-22-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredouye View Post
6.6510 is available in France.
Someday that versión is going to be available here in Latin America…. Sony stopped the Oreo versión for us due to the problems all of you already know.
post #8677 of 9149 Old 05-22-2019, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
No idea if this the same issue you are seeing but I have had mine appear to die a few times in the several months I have had this TV. Each time though if I just take the batteries out of the remote for a few minutes then put them back in it starts working again. It is as if the remote needs to be powered off for a period of time before it will work, whether you use new batteries or old, leave them out of the remote for 5-10 minutes and see if it starts working again. It hasn't happened to me now for several weeks but when I first got the TV it seemed to happen every week or two. Not that big a deal but still very irritating when it happens.

Sony XBR-55X900F, Sony UBP-X700, Yamaha YAS-207, PS3
Sharp LC-42D72U (overdue for replacement), Sony BDP-S570, Denon AVR-989, CM-7000PAL, PS4
Samsung UN46C6300 (retired to home office), Samsung BD-D6500, Sony BDP-S5100, PS3, PSTV
post #8678 of 9149 Old 05-22-2019, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
It works mostly fine for me and the PQ is excellent. The only problem I have is that the first time I go to a game the app tells me it is not available. I back out and select the game again and everything is fine. I have an Orioles feed only subscription.

Same issue here, when I start the MLB.TV app for the first time I get the "MLB.TV is temporarily not available" error message. Click OK and start the app again, then all is well. Weird. PQ is variable but I put that down to my lousy DSL connection. Full subscription here.
jtrippe likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #8679 of 9149 Old 05-23-2019, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Same issue here, when I start the MLB.TV app for the first time I get the "MLB.TV is temporarily not available" error message. Click OK and start the app again, then all is well. Weird. PQ is variable but I put that down to my lousy DSL connection. Full subscription here.
I'll have to try backing out of the app completely. I thought I had tried that but maybe didn't go all the way out. I've got the full subscription as well. If you both got it to work, I have some hope.

Thanks!
post #8680 of 9149 Old 05-23-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhenryatgmail View Post
No idea if this the same issue you are seeing but I have had mine appear to die a few times in the several months I have had this TV. Each time though if I just take the batteries out of the remote for a few minutes then put them back in it starts working again. It is as if the remote needs to be powered off for a period of time before it will work, whether you use new batteries or old, leave them out of the remote for 5-10 minutes and see if it starts working again. It hasn't happened to me now for several weeks but when I first got the TV it seemed to happen every week or two. Not that big a deal but still very irritating when it happens.
I had this happen on mine shortly after I got it. After checking to ensure the remote was in fact not transmitting IR (use the cell phone camera check by viewing the IR on-screen while pressing buttons while aimed at your camera), I tried new batteries and no go. I had a few minutes in between battery out vs in, but no change. I called SONY and they had me remove the batteries and press all of the buttons as the troubleshooting step and replace the batteries. This did correct the issue and no further issues since...

I don't think pressing all of the buttons is needed, rather pressing any buttons for that duration likely just discharged the capacitors inside allowing it to be completely dead (OFF), and thus completing a full boot-up after replacing the batteries. If I had waited longer between battery swaps, it likely would have done this on its own.

FWIW I still had them send me a new remote as while the fix was relatively painless, there has to be a reason for it to lock-up in the first place.
post #8681 of 9149 Old 05-23-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
For those who are experiencing VUDU ATMOS problems, there is a new app update which might fix your problem.

There is also a new Youtube app but unfortunately it hasn't fixed the HDR issue.
Educated Idiot likes this.
post #8682 of 9149 Old 05-23-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
[...]
There is also a new Youtube app but unfortunately it hasn't fixed the HDR issue.
People who installed the new firmware update (v6.6510, EU only so far) report that HDR is finally fixed in the internal YouTube app.
post #8683 of 9149 Old 05-23-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
People who installed the new firmware update (v6.6510, EU only so far) report that HDR is finally fixed in the internal YouTube app.
Good to hear, hopefully that means it will be fixed in the next North American firmware version.
post #8684 of 9149 Old 05-23-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Basic setup questions

Please forgive the newb questions, I'm sure my answers are somewhere in these 8,600 posts.
I'm about to take delivery of an XBR85X900F.
What are some of the initial tests I should do? Should I look for stuck pixels? How?
In Mark Henninger's excellent review, he wrote: "tweak the 2-point grayscale to get it as close to 6500k as possible". How do you do this? What equipment do you need for this? Is there any other really cheap and really easy calibration that I should do?
I will have a 5.1 system. What do you think of using the panel's speakers for the center channel? How?
Would it be straying too far off topic to ask if there is a nice receiver/amp for less than $1,500 which can make use of the HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision HDR, IMAX Enhanced features? I have an old Onkyo TX-NR809 that I'll probably want to replace.
Maybe I should mention that my source material will be Cox Contour and a TBD Blu-ray player.

Last edited by paulj1x; 05-23-2019 at 04:12 PM.
post #8685 of 9149 Old 05-23-2019, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj1x View Post
Please forgive the newb questions, I'm sure my answers are somewhere in these 8,600 posts.
What are some of the initial tests I should do? Should I look for stuck pixels? How?
In Mark Henninger's excellent review, he wrote: "tweak the 2-point grayscale to get it as close to 6500k as possible". How do you do this? What equipment do you need for this? Is there any other really cheap and really easy calibration that I should do?
I will have a 5.1 system. What do you think of using the panel's speakers for the center channel? How?
Would it be straying too far off topic to ask if there is a nice receiver/amp for less than $1,500 which can make use of the HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision HDR, IMAX Enhanced features? I have an old Onkyo TX-NR809 that I'll probably want to replace.
Maybe I should mention that my source material will be Cox Contour and a TBD Blu-ray player.
AMP i would recommend Marantz (SR 6013) or Denon equivalent. TV speaker can not better than any 5.1 center channel speaker.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer SC6000: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #8686 of 9149 Old 05-24-2019, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone else had an issue of the TV switching back to tv speakers after cutting on? I will go back in and switch back to external and it works fine. I have the new update but this just started in the past few days.
post #8687 of 9149 Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Does anybody see anything in the near future, that would make you believe Sony might come out with an newer or upgraded version of this tv set this year?

I'll be in the market soon to buy a new one, and it seems this particular one hits all my "must-haves", though it's already a year-plus old and still almost $1k, you'd think they'd come out with a new version soon.

By the way, the largest I can easily fit or really want is a 49" model, (I have a 42" LG now) BUT, I may possibly be able to go as high as a 55" if I must for some technical reason (some feature not on smaller than 55" or like that)
post #8688 of 9149 Old 05-24-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by charden37 View Post
Has anyone else had an issue of the TV switching back to tv speakers after cutting on? I will go back in and switch back to external and it works fine. I have the new update but this just started in the past few days.

Haven't had that issue myself. I am on the latest firmware as well.

Issue with the external device?

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #8689 of 9149 Old 05-24-2019, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
Does anybody see anything in the near future, that would make you believe Sony might come out with an newer or upgraded version of this tv set this year?

At this point it doesn't seem likely that they will replace this TV this year. Many thought the 950G was a replacement, but we still have both.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #8690 of 9149 Old 05-24-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Try a hard reset

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #8691 of 9149 Old 05-24-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Yeah mine has had the issue off an on since getting the TV, it will say tv speakers, the external (to play on my AVR) and then back to TV, I simply change it manually in the rare instance it occurs which is like 1 out of 50 cycles maybe? It was this way on old OS for me and new seems to be about the same on the updated OS? I am using a Pioneer LX303 AVR.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #8692 of 9149 Old 05-24-2019, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated Idiot View Post
Yeah mine has had the issue off an on since getting the TV, it will say tv speakers, the external (to play on my AVR) and then back to TV, I simply change it manually in the rare instance it occurs which is like 1 out of 50 cycles maybe? It was this way on old OS for me and new seems to be about the same on the updated OS? I am using a Pioneer LX303 AVR.
it does this when it do not see AVR input correctly, it is very annoying. tv turns on first and AVR turns on later and there a delay to switch to correct input so tv switches to tv speakers.

Last edited by iserum; 05-24-2019 at 03:13 PM.
post #8693 of 9149 Old 05-24-2019, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated Idiot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
it does this when it do not see AVR input correctly, it is ver annoying. tv turns on first and AVR turns on later and there a delay to switch to correct input so tv switches to tv speakers.
Same thing happens to me. sometimes Its easier to select out speakers manually and make the change. Sometimes Works turning on the AVR first and then the TV.
My TV has the old OS. It really is annoying but Im really happy with this TV set. Excellent PQ.
post #8694 of 9149 Old 05-24-2019, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hello all. I just got my 900F and it’s been updated to the latest firmware. I have the tv connected via my AVR with the ARC port on both, then I have a Xbox One X and a Apple TV 4K. I am unable to get Dolby Vision at all. I’m at a total loss here. I’ve done everything I can think of and I do have enhanced mode enabled for the HDMI ports. The receiver is a Onkyo TX-NR676 by the way. I’m coming from the 900E, SquareTrade replaced that TV with this one so I’d like to be able to use all of the features. Please help!

Display: Sony Bravia XBR65X900F
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR676
Media Players: Xbox One X & Apple TV 4K
post #8695 of 9149 Old 05-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit2k6 View Post
Hello all. I just got my 900F and it’s been updated to the latest firmware. I have the tv connected via my AVR with the ARC port on both, then I have a Xbox One X and a Apple TV 4K. I am unable to get Dolby Vision at all. I’m at a total loss here. I’ve done everything I can think of and I do have enhanced mode enabled for the HDMI ports. The receiver is a Onkyo TX-NR676 by the way. I’m coming from the 900E, SquareTrade replaced that TV with this one so I’d like to be able to use all of the features. Please help!
check you DV pass through in Onkyo setting, also check what kind of HDMI cable you are using. check setting on Apple TV 4K also. most likely it is cable.

post #8696 of 9149 Old 05-25-2019, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The problem of the latest EU firmware is the tv Menu that is so dim,expecially when watching hdr bright content.
There is something wrong with it.
post #8697 of 9149 Old 05-25-2019, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have been off this thread for a while, so I just noticed discussion of upgrades.

I checked for software updates, and verified I'm current with v. 7.0.

Is that the firmware upgrade that I've seen mentioned, or is that something different?

Thanks.
post #8698 of 9149 Old 05-25-2019, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone else here downloaded the DC Universe app onto their 900F? If so, do you get Dolby Digital 5.1 on any of the new original series that supports it (Titans, Doom Patrol)? I'm watching these shows and the 4k HDR signal comes through just fine but my AVR is only outputting 2.0.

When DC upgraded the app to include 4K, HDR, and 5.1 about a month ago it all worked flawlessly, granted my TV wasn't on the latest firmware then; it auto-updated 2 days ago. I'm now wondering if that's the culprit since all my other apps play everything else just fine as far as Dolby is concerned.

If anyone else can check and confirm, I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks!
post #8699 of 9149 Old 05-25-2019, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6400 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj1x View Post
I will offer this tip, enjoy your TV for what it is, if you see issues then take a closer look. That rabbit hole could be long and deep. If you are searching for the perfect anything on this planet.
geoffrsc and Primestar31 like this.
post #8700 of 9149 Old 05-25-2019, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys I got the 55 900f last week and while watching some movies in Cinema Pro and Brightness on (1) I noticed the blooming in subtitles is kind of annyoing in SDR content and the black bars has a minor blooming that is not that noticeable

can you guys give me any tip on how to reduce it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page