2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 291 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4177Likes

post #8701 of 9108 Old 05-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj1x View Post
In Mark Henninger's excellent review, he wrote: "tweak the 2-point grayscale to get it as close to 6500k as possible". How do you do this? What equipment do you need for this? Is there any other really cheap and really easy calibration that I should do?
You need a calibration meter such as an Xrite Colormunki and and Windows PC to calibrate a TV. I would suggest trying the SDR and HDR settings in my signature, and see how those work, if still not pleased, then it would be time to buy a meter and free a week or so to learn and try to calibrate. The link in my signature is from the X900F owners settings thread BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sherman View Post
I have been off this thread for a while, so I just noticed discussion of upgrades.

I checked for software updates, and verified I'm current with v. 7.0.

Is that the firmware upgrade that I've seen mentioned, or is that something different?

Thanks.
8.0 is the new firmware, otherwise known as "Oreo" in Android terms. You can ask the TV to upgrade or you can download the firmware from the Sony X900F support page and install from a USB drive formatted as FAT. If you have issues with the USB, try restarting the TV with the firmware file USB already plugged in, TV should start the upgrade on it 's own that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahadq8 View Post
Hi guys I got the 55 900f last week and while watching some movies in Cinema Pro and Brightness on (1) I noticed the blooming in subtitles is kind of annyoing in SDR content and the black bars has a minor blooming that is not that noticeable

can you guys give me any tip on how to reduce it ?
Do you by chance have Xtended Dynamic Range turned on? Brightnes of 1 is very very dim, but when you turn Xtended DR on, it produces fake HDR and really overdrives the highlights, like white text, which could explain the excessive blooming. You could always turn off Local Dimming, but that hurts black levels a lot.

Paul
paulj1x and Panson like this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8702 of 9108 Old 05-25-2019, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 57
On Sony's site I see this.... v6.5850 released 4/23/19 as the latest firmware update. But I see here guys talking about 7 and now 8....what am I missing?
I thought you could get the latest one from the Sony site if you wanted to do the manual update.

Edit:....I see on my set it says 8.0 as the version. Well....ok. I know it didn't update by itself as it's not online....ever. Must have come with it. It is a bit different in the menu section that my 65" as that's on the older firmware.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence

Last edited by Falonious; 05-25-2019 at 12:07 PM.
post #8703 of 9108 Old 05-25-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
You need a calibration meter such as an Xrite Colormunki and and Windows PC to calibrate a TV. I would suggest trying the SDR and HDR settings in my signature, and see how those work, if still not pleased, then it would be time to buy a meter and free a week or so to learn and try to calibrate. The link in my signature is from the X900F owners settings thread BTW

8.0 is the new firmware, otherwise known as "Oreo" in Android terms. You can ask the TV to upgrade or you can download the firmware from the Sony X900F support page and install from a USB drive formatted as FAT. If you have issues with the USB, try restarting the TV with the firmware file USB already plugged in, TV should start the upgrade on it 's own that way.

Do you by chance have Xtended Dynamic Range turned on? Brightnes of 1 is very very dim, but when you turn Xtended DR on, it produces fake HDR and really overdrives the highlights, like white text, which could explain the excessive blooming. You could always turn off Local Dimming, but that hurts black levels a lot.

Paul

Thanks for replying , no I don't have XDR on and I watch movies sometimes in a dark room and found out that brightness is pretty good and the blooming is reduced too
about local dimming yeah I tried turning it off but it was unwatchable in a dark room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8704 of 9108 Old 05-25-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
You need a calibration meter such as an Xrite Colormunki and Windows PC to calibrate a TV.
Paul
Thanks Paul!

ColorMunki Smile?
ColorMunki Display?
ColorMunki Photographer?

Paul
post #8705 of 9108 Old 05-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falonious View Post
On Sony's site I see this.... v6.5850 released 4/23/19 as the latest firmware update. But I see here guys talking about 7 and now 8....what am I missing?
I thought you could get the latest one from the Sony site if you wanted to do the manual update.

Edit:....I see on my set it says 8.0 as the version. Well....ok. I know it didn't update by itself as it's not online....ever. Must have come with it. It is a bit different in the menu section that my 65" as that's on the older firmware.
Sorry for the confusion, "7" and "8" are the Android VERSIONS...Sony assigns its own firmware revision numbering scheme.

https://www.android.com/versions/oreo-8-0/

Quote:
Thanks Paul!

ColorMunki Smile?
ColorMunki Display?
ColorMunki Photographer?

Paul
Display :-)

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1407756873
paulj1x, dreaux and Panson like this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #8706 of 9108 Old 05-25-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
check you DV pass through in Onkyo setting, also check what kind of HDMI cable you are using. check setting on Apple TV 4K also. most likely it is cable.
So what cables would you recommend? I’m using the original cable that came with my One X. The others are newer cables from AmazonBasics I got last year.

Display: Sony Bravia XBR65X900F
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR676
Media Players: Xbox One X & Apple TV 4K
post #8707 of 9108 Old 05-25-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit2k6 View Post
So what cables would you recommend? I’m using the original cable that came with my One X. The others are newer cables from AmazonBasics I got last year.
this would be good cable

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13586

any cable which can handle 18Gbps will be good, Best buy insignia brand works well too.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer SC6000: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #8708 of 9108 Old 05-26-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I will offer this tip, enjoy your TV for what it is, if you see issues then take a closer look. That rabbit hole could be long and deep. If you are searching for the perfect anything on this planet.
Are people generally willing to accept a few stuck pixels?
post #8709 of 9108 Old 05-26-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6392 Post(s)
Liked: 6390
Quote:
Are people generally willing to accept a few stuck pixels?
I have seen some except one dead pixel because everything else about the set is perfect.....Depends who you ask. Stuck pixels are different, you would not have to test your TV to see a stuck pixel. They stand out.......
post #8710 of 9108 Old 05-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I have seen some except one dead pixel because everything else about the set is perfect.....Depends who you ask. Stuck pixels are different, you would not have to test your TV to see a stuck pixel. They stand out.......
I would never accept dead pixels, and be damned to the service rep who tries to tell me this is "normal". If a small percentage of your cars engine cylinders were stuck, would they consider that acceptable? Is it really too much to ask that of the hundreds of thousands of panels they spit out every month that all 8 millions microscopic elements be perfect?

Sony tries to pull the same thing with video and still cameras, yet if you tried to sell a used video or still camera with a stuck or dead pixel, you would have to sell it as a substantial discount, and the buyer would return it if it were not specifically mentioned in the item description.

Paul
CaptinCrunch, Cuthalu and Panson like this.

post #8711 of 9108 Old 05-26-2019, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6392 Post(s)
Liked: 6390
Quote:
I would never accept dead pixels, and be damned to the service rep who tries to tell me this is "normal". If a small percentage of your cars engine cylinders were stuck, would they consider that acceptable? Is it really too much to ask that of the hundreds of thousands of panels they spit out every month that all 8 millions microscopic elements be perfect?
A engine being locked would be like a whole panel being bad, a stuck pixel is like a chip in the paint.

--To each there own, I was stating what I have seen over the 16 years I have been on the forum, some will except them, some would except a chip in a brand new paint job......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit2k6 View Post
Make sure they have the logo below.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI.png
Views:	32
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	2572068  
dreaux likes this.
post #8712 of 9108 Old 05-26-2019, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:

Sony tries to pull the same thing with video and still cameras, yet if you tried to sell a used video or still camera with a stuck or dead pixel, you would have to sell it as a substantial discount, and the buyer would return it if it were not specifically mentioned in the item description.
Well a car engine only has a handful of cylinders so if a small percentage weren't firing the the car would be un-driveable. If a car engine had over 8 million cylinders you'd never feel if a few cylinders weren't firing. Not a good analogy. Neither is comparing a few dead pixels on a giant TV screen to the pixels in a camera.

Since a UHD TV has over 8 million teensy pixels, you'd never notice if a few were dead. And you'd be hard pressed to see dead pixel on a TV from anywhere near a normal viewing distance. If the TV was otherwise perfect, it would usually be a non-issue.

All the TV manufactures consider a small number of dead pixels to be acceptable and not covered by the warranty. Sony allows for 3 dead pixels (the most generous TV maker), while the other brands allow for even higher numbers of dead pixels before considering warranty replacement of the panel or the TV. And Samsung considers dead pixels to be so normal their warranty doesn't cover dead pixels at all and will tell you it's acceptable if you have a bunch of them.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8713 of 9108 Old 05-26-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Well a car engine only has a handful of cylinders so if a small percentage weren't firing the the car would be un-driveable. If a car engine had over 8 million cylinders you'd never feel if a few cylinders weren't firing. Not a good analogy. Neither is comparing a few dead pixels on a giant TV screen to the pixels in a camera.

Since a UHD TV has over 8 million teensy pixels, you'd never notice if a few were dead. And you'd be hard pressed to see dead pixel on a TV from anywhere near a normal viewing distance. If the TV was otherwise perfect, it would usually be a non-issue.

All the TV manufactures consider a small number of dead pixels to be acceptable and not covered by the warranty. Sony allows for 3 dead pixels (the most generous TV maker), while the other brands allow for even higher numbers of dead pixels before considering warranty replacement of the panel or the TV. And Samsung considers dead pixels to be so normal their warranty doesn't cover dead pixels at all and will tell you it's acceptable if you have a bunch of them.

Sony Singapore (Current?)

"Where the product has a LCD display panel and the alleged defect is "dead pixels", Sony may in its sole discretion (but is not obliged to) replace the panel if the complaint is of 5 or more "dead pixels". Where the number of "dead pixels" complained of is less, Sony is in all cases not obliged to replace the panel."

https://www.sony.com.sg/support/reso...tions_All.html

Sony Australia (2014, Current?)

"To the normal incidence of off-coloured or dark pixels in LCD and OLED screens as described in the User Manual for the product. Sony will only repair or replace the product if there are (a) 8 or more dark pixels in the screen (unless 2 or more are adjoining dark pixels) or (b) 2 or more bright pixels in the screen."

https://www.sony.com.au/support/reso..._Warranty.html

Sony North America (Current?) ref. Rtings info.

Greater than 3 pixels. Greater than 32" TV.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/tv-warranties-care

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

Last edited by Panson; 05-26-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #8714 of 9108 Old 05-26-2019, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

The most noticeable are the LIT pixels that would show as bright white star...now that is annoying, even if it's all alone.

Paul

post #8715 of 9108 Old 05-26-2019, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 93
some times there are cluster of dead pixel i one small area that is where the replacement of panel discussion starts, if these are scattered around it might not be an issue, if a stuck pixel is in the middle of screen then is noticeable. corners and edge are more forgiving.
i have Samsung replace my tv in 2009 when i noticed dead pixel in the center, Samsung tech determined there are cluster of five or more dead pixel in the middle to cause an issue. small market countries the acceptance rules could vary, USA is huge market selling lot more and larger sets, so SONY is a bit relaxing in their approach.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer SC6000: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #8716 of 9108 Old 05-27-2019, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just received a notice on the older of my two 900f sets that a firmware update is available. It is for v6.5850. Should I install this update? Have there been any negative results from the update? I recall that there were serious issues with the prior update involving ARC.

I searched through the latter parts of this thread but could not find any positive or negative comments.

Thanks!
post #8717 of 9108 Old 05-27-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
I just received a notice on the older of my two 900f sets that a firmware update is available. It is for v6.5850. Should I install this update? Have there been any negative results from the update? I recall that there were serious issues with the prior update involving ARC.

I searched through the latter parts of this thread but could not find any positive or negative comments.

Thanks!
6.5850 is the latest version which fixes the ARC issues introduced by the previous versions. I haven't seen any reports of problems with the latest version, it should be safe to install.
post #8718 of 9108 Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post

Thanks!
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...trip=1&vwsrc=0

post #8719 of 9108 Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For anyone with Google Home (as in the mini/hub/home) is your x900F working properly with your voice commands? As of last night, mines won't turn the TV on or off, it won't open up any apps that it used to such as Plex, DC Universe, Netflix, but it will open up YouTube, it'll also stream music to the TV as well. The weird thing is if I tell my google home mini to do any of these things on my Nvidia SHIELD it has no problem whatsoever.

My X900F will also turn off & on if I use my amazon echo dot.

Last edited by DreMarceaux; 05-27-2019 at 06:52 PM.
post #8720 of 9108 Old 05-27-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Had the 75x900f for 2 months now , great tv amazing Pq but remote keeps dying way too quick even with new batteries anything I can try to make this less annoying ? And there is also a problem with the video app more then half of my movies that I have on my portable hard drive do not output dts correctly the sound cuts in and out and causes the whole image to start glitching, before the Oreo update this was not a problem , when I connect the drive to my ubpx700 uhd player all is smooth without issues ...... ?
post #8721 of 9108 Old 05-27-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have ordered my 85" from Chris. Thanks Chris, really looking forward to getting my new set when I get back home next week.

I have one stupid question.

I am not going to be using the Android OS on the TV, I will be using my Apple TV instead.

I do not have a Google account nor an Android phone.

Will I be able to ignore the signing in with Google and still use the TV as such? Basically bypass all of that and go straight to using my Apple TV and Video Game systems.

Thanks

Mark

Sony 85" X900F
post #8722 of 9108 Old 05-28-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor99999 View Post
I have ordered my 85" from Chris. Thanks Chris, really looking forward to getting my new set when I get back home next week.

I am not going to be using the Android OS on the TV, I will be using my Apple TV instead.

Will I be able to ignore the signing in with Google and still use the TV as such? Basically bypass all of that and go straight to using my Apple TV and Video Game systems.

Thanks

Mark
no
bytor99999 likes this.

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
post #8723 of 9108 Old 05-28-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:

Thanks

Mark

I did not sign in to Google.
bmcleod, geoffrsc and bytor99999 like this.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #8724 of 9108 Old 05-28-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
What settings do you use for playing games and do you have yours turned to Auto where it adjusts picture mode depending on source? Is there a way to turn on Gaming Low Latency outside of the game picture setting? For instance if I am on vivid presently can I turn on Gaming Low Latency?

I adjusted things last night to use this guy's settings but I'm not sure how much lag it will add

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #8725 of 9108 Old 05-28-2019, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The latest firmware (v6.6510) is now available in the US. I installed it over USB.

• YouTube HDR now correctly sets Brightness to Max and XDR to High. Finally.
  • The contrast on the Action Menu is now lower -- more gray instead of white. This is a nice improvement when watching HDR/DV since it used to be way too bright. I personally like this change but I'm sure some people will think it's too dim.
  • The Home menu appears to be using the Apps picture setting now. (I'm not sure but it may have been using a setting that used Standard picture mode before? Or it wasn't adjustable?) If you've set a lower brightness level for the Apps setting, the Home menu will look dimmer now. You can't bring up the Action Menu to adjust the Apps setting while in the Home menu, so I just did it from within an app that uses that setting (like the Google Play Store app).
fgsouza and PlanetAVS like this.

Last edited by spear; 05-28-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: clarified picture setting vs. mode
post #8726 of 9108 Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Thanks

Mark
The only apps I use are Netflix, Youtube and Amazon, you can definitely use these without signing into Google, I did not sign into Google and plan on not doing so.
geoffrsc and bytor99999 like this.
post #8727 of 9108 Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:

Thanks

Mark

If the question is whether you can setup the TV to be used via external HDMI sources without setting up the internal TV apps via Google account, I believe the answer is yes. Worst case is you create a placeholder Google account strictly for the purpose of setting up the TV, and going forward you wouldn't have to use the internal operating system. You'll be able to strictly use the external HDMI sources (ATV, gaming consoles etc.). Keep in mind that this won't set up the TV for automatic firmware updates and you'll need to download and install manually via USB if you want the updates.

I believe you'll still be able to separately do a channel scan for OTA channels as well .
bytor99999 likes this.
post #8728 of 9108 Old 05-28-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
The latest firmware (v6.6510) is now available in the US. I installed it over USB.
[...]
Forgot to mention that on first startup, it asks you to read through and accept a new privacy policy. It asks if you want your TV data used for Sony smart TV services, program recommendations, product improvements, ads, or all four. I chose to skip and haven't noticed any issues so far.
NTC and bytor99999 like this.
post #8729 of 9108 Old 05-28-2019, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Thanks. I guess I can make a fake Google Account if forced to, and not put in real information.

Really excited to get my set and get it setup.

Mark

Sony 85" X900F
post #8730 of 9108 Old 05-28-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post

• YouTube HDR now correctly sets Brightness to Max and XDR to High. Finally.
  • The contrast on the Action Menu is now lower -- more gray instead of white. This is a nice improvement when watching HDR/DV since it used to be way too bright. I personally like this change but I'm sure some people will think it's too dim.
  • The Home menu appears to be using the Apps picture setting now. (I'm not sure but it may have been using a setting that used Standard picture mode before? Or it wasn't adjustable?) If you've set a lower brightness level for the Apps setting, the Home menu will look dimmer now. You can't bring up the Action Menu to adjust the Apps setting while in the Home menu, so I just did it from within an app that uses that setting (like the Google Play Store app).
It looks like they have pulled it. I did see it there this morning when I saw it mentioned on Reddit, but now it's not there.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...d-/xbr-65x900f
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page