2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 292 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4195Likes

post #8731 of 9181 Old 05-28-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by csharp.windev View Post
It looks like they have pulled it. I did see it there this morning when I saw it mentioned on Reddit, but now it's not there.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...d-/xbr-65x900f
I downloaded it this morning but did not install.
Planning on waiting on some reviews before doing anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 9181 Old 05-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
It looks like they have pulled it. I did see it there this morning when I saw it mentioned on Reddit, but now it's not there.

I'm confused that you say it is 'pulled'. It is still there under 'Downloads' unless you mean something other than v6.6510?

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #8733 of 9181 Old 05-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
I'm confused that you say it is 'pulled'. It is still there under 'Downloads' unless you mean something other than v6.6510?
I meant they took it down (downloads section was completely gone at the time I checked / posted my reply), but I just checked the link again and now it's back. Strange...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8734 of 9181 Old 05-28-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
Quote:

Its still there, just downloaded it:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...900f/downloads
Ricoflashback likes this.
post #8735 of 9181 Old 05-28-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
Forgot to mention that on first startup, it asks you to read through and accept a new privacy policy. It asks if you want your TV data used for Sony smart TV services, program recommendations, product improvements, ads, or all four. I chose to skip and haven't noticed any issues so far.
Yes it's the first time I saw that in an update. Just hit Proceed without any selections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.6510 b update.PNG.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	2572802  
bytor99999 likes this.
post #8736 of 9181 Old 05-28-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
The latest firmware (v6.6510) is now available in the US. I installed it over USB.

• YouTube HDR now correctly sets Brightness to Max and XDR to High. Finally.
  • The contrast on the Action Menu is now lower -- more gray instead of white. This is a nice improvement when watching HDR/DV since it used to be way too bright. I personally like this change but I'm sure some people will think it's too dim.
  • The Home menu appears to be using the Apps picture setting now. (I'm not sure but it may have been using a setting that used Standard picture mode before? Or it wasn't adjustable?) If you've set a lower brightness level for the Apps setting, the Home menu will look dimmer now. You can't bring up the Action Menu to adjust the Apps setting while in the Home menu, so I just did it from within an app that uses that setting (like the Google Play Store app).
Benefits and improvements from the latest update
Resolves an issue where the TV becomes frozen during startup and displays four circles on the screen

Never had this issue.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #8737 of 9181 Old 05-28-2019, 04:07 PM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Benefits and improvements from the latest update
Resolves an issue where the TV becomes frozen during startup and displays four circles on the screen

Never had this issue.

Like you I never had problem of the 4 Android circles frozen on the screen... until this very minute when I turned on the TV for the first time today to install the new update. What are the odds on that. TV is unplugged right now and hoping for the TV to reboot with no problems, then to install the update. I suspect they pushed something very recently that caused this problem and are trying to stay ahead of the (complaint) curve.
post #8738 of 9181 Old 05-28-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
Just did the firmware update. Note it didn't install with an exFAT formatted drive but was successful with FAT32.

One thing I noticed about the new privacy settings, if you skip it it will disable firmware updates via network. If you try to manually scan for a new update, it will prompt you to accept the privacy settings again.

Netflix and Vudu Dolby Vision/ATMOS still work. Google Play, Amazon HDR10 still don't work (although Amazon DV works for me).

Youtube HDR is still not working either. Tried uninstalling updates and reinstalling and it didn't make a difference.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 05-28-2019 at 06:27 PM.
post #8739 of 9181 Old 05-28-2019, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
The most noticeable are the LIT pixels that would show as bright white star...now that is annoying, even if it's all alone.

Paul
A stuck pixel is totally different and manufacturers handle that differently.......You are right those stand out like a sore thumb.....
post #8740 of 9181 Old 05-28-2019, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
Like you I never had problem of the 4 Android circles frozen on the screen... until this very minute when I turned on the TV for the first time today to install the new update. What are the odds on that. TV is unplugged right now and hoping for the TV to reboot with no problems, then to install the update. I suspect they pushed something very recently that caused this problem and are trying to stay ahead of the (complaint) curve.
The same exact thing happened to me when I did the last update before this new one. I called support and they said to unplug the TV for a minute and plug it back in. It worked fine.
post #8741 of 9181 Old 05-28-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have had a 75x900f for about two months and tonight the TV downloaded the Oreo update.

Two thing I noticed.

1. Menus are more sluggish. For instance when playing a game if I hit the action button it takes time to load the side bar.

2. YouTube skips some frames when watching 4k . I have 150mb line.

3. When I boot the tv or an app the screen is blotchy and cloudy as hell now. What changed. I will have to play around more and see if it happens in contact.

Here is a photo. It's not as bad as this photo as the camera over magifies the areas that are blotchy

Last edited by ffactoryxx; 05-28-2019 at 10:16 PM.
post #8742 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
I have had a 75x900f for about two months and tonight the TV downloaded the Oreo update.

Two thing I noticed.

1. Menus are more sluggish. For instance when playing a game if I hit the action button it takes time to load the side bar.

2. YouTube skips some frames when watching 4k . I have 150mb line.

3. When I boot the tv or an app the screen is blotchy and cloudy as hell now. What changed. I will have to play around more and see if it happens in contact.

Here is a photo. It's not as bad as this photo as the camera over magifies the areas that are blotchy

Everyone's Tv is blotchy on netflix and in every app that doesnt engage local dimming.It was like this before the update too.
post #8743 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Just did the firmware update.
  • YouTube HDR seems to work just fine for me, the XDR finally turns on & sets itself to High.
  • Atmos still works.
  • Dolby Vision on Netflix is fine (granted I never had any issues with it).
  • ARC is working perfectly. Now it actually plays DTS (which it didn't use to do at all before) albeit it takes DTS-MA & DTS:X and converts them down to just regular DTS; it also takes Dolby TrueHD signals and converts them to plain old' Dolby, and for any AAC codecs it translates them to a Dolby Signal. But the takeaway here is that it plays DTS, all the Dolby and AAC stuff it was doing before this update. That being said, with the exception of Atmos, any other HD sound format, I'll have to use my Nvidia SHIELD.
  • They dimmed the action menu overlay, which is a nice touch, really hated how bright it was before.

I'm sure I'm missing something else, but, everything is still in working order!
fgsouza likes this.
post #8744 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I am also able to see the new update under downloads. Downloading it right now!
post #8745 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I’m having an issue for the last few days where the YouTube app will play one or two videos then won’t play any more after that. I can navigate and select videos fine, but when I select one it just goes to a black screen and I have to exit. I don’t see a way of deleting and redownloading the app in the menu. I have tried unplugging the tv. I haven’t updated yet to the newest firmware. Netflix and Amazon Prime work just fine. Any suggestions?
post #8746 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by persuazion View Post
I’m having an issue for the last few days where the YouTube app will play one or two videos then won’t play any more after that. I can navigate and select videos fine, but when I select one it just goes to a black screen and I have to exit. I don’t see a way of deleting and redownloading the app in the menu. I have tried unplugging the tv. I haven’t updated yet to the newest firmware. Netflix and Amazon Prime work just fine. Any suggestions?
I would update to the latest firmware first, then explore other options if the issue continues.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000
post #8747 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 65 900F is 2 Firmware updates behind - possible with auto update on?

My 65 900F is currently on Firmware V6.5629, auto update is on and the TV is hardwired Ethernet to the router. Checking for updates via the TV indicates the current version(5629) is up to date. Actively signed into Google.
Spoke with Sony support and was told the firmware updates are released & sent out based on serial number of the TV. Asked if 2 releases behind sounds feasible & they said not unusual.

Any thoughts if I need to take any further steps. Everything else is working fine. I know I can do a physical download of the updates but just want to be sure all is in good working order. Thanks!
post #8748 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked: 1250
***So a couple of questions on updating the software and please pardon me if they have been addressed before:

1. Where can I find the exact version of software my TV is on? I've stepped through the menus but I must be missing something.
2. With the new "Privacy Policy" - it appears that you have to agree to everything or at least the "Sony Smart TV Services" - which looks like the same to enable any checking and automatic "downloads" of the most current software version?
3. If you just check "Proceed" - you will not receive any automatic updates and will have to update via USB in the future?

On it's face, this new policy seems very obtrusive but maybe it was the same way before but I never noticed it? I've always declined to have information taken on my viewing habits, as much as possible, and any other "snoop" technology. I'm curious to see how other AVS Forum Members view this policy and whether they have chosen to stick with the automatic updates or discontinue and potentially update via USB.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 05-29-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #8749 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
this would be good cable

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13586

any cable which can handle 18Gbps will be good, Best buy insignia brand works well too.

So I just replaced all of my cables with brand new AmazonBasics cables that are 18gbps. My One X still says my TV setup doesn’t support Dolby Vision and my AppleTV 4K isn’t working with DV either. Any other suggestions? DV works fine with the built in apps.

My Setup:

Display: Sony Bravia XBR65X900F
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR676
Media Players: Xbox One X & Apple TV 4K

Everything is connected to the AVR, with one cable into HDMI 3 with HDMI enhanced enabled. CEC is enabled on the AVR as well.

Last edited by nolimit2k6; 05-29-2019 at 10:24 AM.
post #8750 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***So a couple of questions on updating the software and please pardon me if they have been addressed before:

1. Where can I find the exact version of software my TV is on? I've stepped through the menus but I must be missing something.
2. With the new "Privacy Policy" - it appears that you have to agree to everything or at least the "Sony Smart TV Services" - which looks like the same to enable any checking and automatic "downloads" of the most current software version?
3. If you just check "Proceed" - you will not receive any automatic updates and will have to update via USB in the future?

On it's face, this new policy seems very obtrusive but maybe it was the same way before but I never noticed it? I've always declined to have information taken on my viewing habits, as much as possible, and any other "snoop" technology. I'm curious to see how other AVS Forum Members view this policy and whether they have chosen to stick with the automatic updates or discontinue and potentially update via USB.
1. Version is in the app "Help"
2. I just went to proceed. It's changeable anytime you want to let them update.
3. Sony was so slow in broadcasting their updates, I went to usb, and am happy I did.
post #8751 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
1. Version is in the app "Help"
2. I just went to proceed. It's changeable anytime you want to let them update.
3. Sony was so slow in broadcasting their updates, I went to usb, and am happy I did.
***Much thanks, LeeSoFL. Geez, Louise, the "Help" app takes awhile to get to and then you have to scroll down a ga-zillion apps. But I found the version number! I suppose I could always change the "Privacy Policy" and then change it back to obtain the software update. Or just go the USB route like you have. Thx again - Rico.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #8752 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
***Much thanks, LeeSoFL. Geez, Louise, the "Help" app takes awhile to get to and then you have to scroll down a ga-zillion apps. But I found the version number! I suppose I could always change the "Privacy Policy" and then change it back to obtain the software update. Or just go the USB route like you have. Thx again - Rico.
I just added Help to my favorite app list.
post #8753 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Since I am a new owner, and we are now at 292 pages. Any recommendations on which page to start reading from to get all the most current background on "best practices"

So far I have this

1) Looks like I can use the TV without having to have a Google/Android account.
2) Looks like if I want my privacy I need to update is via USB.
3) I don't need info on calibrations as it appears the Cinema mode is pretty decent and I would always hire a calibrator in the area to do it anyway.
4) It is by far the best 4K TV on the market.

Thanks

Mark
post #8754 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I just added Help to my favorite app list.
***Another helpful tip. Where do I send my support check?
LeeSoFl likes this.

Home Theater Setup
post #8755 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
***Another helpful tip. Where do I send my support check?

Send it to me. I'll make sure it gets to him....

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #8756 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Send it to me. I'll make sure it gets to him....
***I suppose you’d like a Cashiers Check or better yet, cash, just like the other folks who called me today about an investment opportunity?
Coercion Shaman likes this.

Home Theater Setup
post #8757 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
***I suppose you’d like a Cashiers Check or better yet, cash, just like the other folks who called me today about an investment opportunity?

I have heard Apple gift cards work, too.

post #8758 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit2k6 View Post
So I just replaced all of my cables with brand new AmazonBasics cables that are 18gbps. My One X still says my TV setup doesn’t support Dolby Vision and my AppleTV 4K isn’t working with DV either. Any other suggestions? DV works fine with the built in apps.

My Setup:

Everything is connected to the AVR, with one cable into HDMI 3 with HDMI enhanced enabled. CEC is enabled on the AVR as well.

So from the very quick googling that I did, can you confirm that the Onkyo is DV pass through enabled? Also, do those Amazon cables have the 18Gbps hologram on them? What happens if you use HDMI 2 (first upping it to enhanced)? And then what happens when you bypass the AVR and go directly from ATV to the TV?

You might have answered these already, you may not have.

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #8759 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
So from the very quick googling that I did, can you confirm that the Onkyo is DV pass through enabled? Also, do those Amazon cables have the 18Gbps hologram on them? What happens if you use HDMI 2 (first upping it to enhanced)? And then what happens when you bypass the AVR and go directly from ATV to the TV?

You might have answered these already, you may not have.

Seggers

It is indeed DV compatible (logo is on top next to the Atmos logo). The cables are these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H7M6YKI...p_mob_ap_share and I’ve even read reviews from other sites recommending these over $50 Belkin “Dolby Vision” cables. I will try HDMI 2 shortly and a direct connection as well.

Last edited by nolimit2k6; 05-29-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #8760 of 9181 Old 05-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit2k6 View Post
It is indeed DV compatible (logo is on top next to the Atmos logo). The cables are these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H7M6YKI...p_mob_ap_share and I’ve even read reviews from other sites recommending these over $50 Belkin “Dolby Vision” cables. I will try HDMI 2 shortly and a direct connection as well.

IMHO these are the BEST bang for the $$ HDMI cables to get. https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115...s%2C145&sr=1-4

I used these with no issues at all

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version