2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 293 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4177Likes

post #8761 of 9109 Old 05-29-2019, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
IMHO these are the BEST bang for the $$ HDMI cables to get. https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115...s%2C145&sr=1-4

I used these with no issues at all

I feel like a complete idiot... this AVR put the DV in a very odd location and it was not enabled. Everything works now. *facepalm*

Display: Sony Bravia XBR65X900F
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR676
Media Players: Xbox One X & Apple TV 4K

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 9109 Old 05-29-2019, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Angry

A personal opinion on 6.6510 update.

First of all, although only a handful of you wrote a review, i find it really interesting that many of you think that the "dimmed android overlay" is a nice touch.

So in 6510 Sony reduced the Android overlay brightness. Hardware image processing stayed the same (video playback is just as bright as before), but everything that is software rendered like the UI, is significantly darker now. To the point, that IMO you barely can see the android UI in a bright room. Personally i use the Android UI heavily, i don't have cable, i don't watch moves all the time.

So, i already posted this on reddit and on the sony community forum, but i would like to share my tests:

Just like everyone else on reddit, i imminently noticed the menu dimness, to prove my point i put together a test app, which looks like this:

On the left you see the android overlay, which is showing a red color. On the Right (and under the android overlay) is a video player, playing a 10sec video which is also red. If everything works well, both side should look the same, because they showing the same color.

Like on my Oneplus 6T:

The same app running on my X900F:

My camera can't pick up how bright is the right side (the video playback) is, it's actually bright red, instead of this orange color. So in person the difference is even bigger.

This change made me really upset, to the point that i'm consider to buy an Nvidia Shield. Right now i can't decide that is this an intentional move by Sony or not. It's not mentioned in the changelog, also meanwhile the Brightness slide affects the Android UI, the Contract slider does nothing. So maybe this is just a bug? But at the mean time some people actually like this. Maybe some people actually requested it? But then again, why can't i op-out from this? It's not Sony's job to tell me how bright my android UI can be. Or is this some cheap move to combat the "blooming whiners" so subtitles and other android UI elements doesn't cause too much blooming? I don't know.

I contacted my regional Sony Support. First they told me to do not worry, an update is on the way. But as you can guess, i specified what version i'm on. So they didn't even understood that i'm already on that version that is coming. The next reply was to factory reset, which doesn't helps (someone else did that with zero success), and then take it to a nearest repair shop.

So what is your take on this?
post #8763 of 9109 Old 05-29-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I just added Help to my favorite app list.
Or just use the Help button on your remote.
Ricoflashback likes this.

Sony XBR-55X900F, Sony UBP-X700, Yamaha YAS-207, PS3
Sharp LC-42D72U (overdue for replacement), Sony BDP-S570, Denon AVR-989, CM-7000PAL, PS4
Samsung UN46C6300 (retired to home office), Samsung BD-D6500, Sony BDP-S5100, PS3, PSTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8764 of 9109 Old 05-29-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 443
That’s the easiest way.
post #8765 of 9109 Old 05-29-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a very similar set up you, Onkyo 686, 75” 900, and atv 4k. It didn’t all work right until I got monoprice certified premium cables...I went though two other 4k cables and an atv (sorry bestbuy).
post #8766 of 9109 Old 05-29-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhenryatgmail View Post
Or just use the Help button on your remote.
***Nice - I never really noticed it before.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #8767 of 9109 Old 05-29-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0und View Post
A personal opinion on 6.6510 update.

First of all, although only a handful of you wrote a review, i find it really interesting that many of you think that the "dimmed android overlay" is a nice touch.

So in 6510 Sony reduced the Android overlay brightness. Hardware image processing stayed the same (video playback is just as bright as before), but everything that is software rendered like the UI, is significantly darker now. To the point, that IMO you barely can see the android UI in a bright room. Personally i use the Android UI heavily, i don't have cable, i don't watch moves all the time.

So, i already posted this on reddit and on the sony community forum, but i would like to share my tests:

Just like everyone else on reddit, i imminently noticed the menu dimness, to prove my point i put together a test app, which looks like this:

On the left you see the android overlay, which is showing a red color. On the Right (and under the android overlay) is a video player, playing a 10sec video which is also red. If everything works well, both side should look the same, because they showing the same color.

Like on my Oneplus 6T:

The same app running on my X900F:

My camera can't pick up how bright is the right side (the video playback) is, it's actually bright red, instead of this orange color. So in person the difference is even bigger.

This change made me really upset, to the point that i'm consider to buy an Nvidia Shield. Right now i can't decide that is this an intentional move by Sony or not. It's not mentioned in the changelog, also meanwhile the Brightness slide affects the Android UI, the Contract slider does nothing. So maybe this is just a bug? But at the mean time some people actually like this. Maybe some people actually requested it? But then again, why can't i op-out from this? It's not Sony's job to tell me how bright my android UI can be. Or is this some cheap move to combat the "blooming whiners" so subtitles and other android UI elements doesn't cause too much blooming? I don't know.

I contacted my regional Sony Support. First they told me to do not worry, an update is on the way. But as you can guess, i specified what version i'm on. So they didn't even understood that i'm already on that version that is coming. The next reply was to factory reset, which doesn't helps (someone else did that with zero success), and then take it to a nearest repair shop.

So what is your take on this?
My take:
1. Sony's UI brightness was problematic and SHOULD be fixed. But the problem was only under HDR mode. If you have any other ATV devices, a simple comparison can tell you that Sony's UI is blinding bright under HDR.
2. The update, like any other updates from Sony, did what it does the best. It overdid the brightness reduction, or did not do it properly. Therefore certain UI looks dim as fk, and it even affects UI under non HDR content. I personally don't mind and even welcome this update, as under Kodi it actually works better now and the subtitle is finally at the correct color and brightness in both HDR and non HDR. I assume the people you mentioned are like me, who use different set of apps than you and the negative impact is limited.
3. Sony Support is dumb as ever.
fgsouza likes this.
post #8768 of 9109 Old 05-29-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
If your installing the latest firmware file from a thumb drive verify the file date first. I downloaded the 5/28/19 firmware release package, but the actual mod date is the 4/24/19 version of the 16065010, so they have the wrong data file packed.
This is the right one, version number 6.6510
post #8769 of 9109 Old 05-29-2019, 06:28 PM

Liked: 3
I learnt with my old tv a Samsung KS8000 never trust an update. And just enjoy the tv you have, there will always be something you don't quite like about it. But if you must have the latest update be prepared that what you get maybe worse than what you have.
I wish TV makers could make it possible to go back to an old update if your not happy with what you've upgraded to.
post #8770 of 9109 Old 05-29-2019, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 93
it is best to wait few weeks and get people feedback on the updates on this forum, but there are handful of people come to forums, majority don't update the software or they don't know if if tv or other devices update automatically.
with connected devices there are updates to address security concerns also, lot of purchasing and credit card data stored on these devices now.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer SC6000: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #8771 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 12:25 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Chen View Post
My take:
1. Sony's UI brightness was problematic and SHOULD be fixed. But the problem was only under HDR mode. If you have any other ATV devices, a simple comparison can tell you that Sony's UI is blinding bright under HDR.
Can you specify exactly when this is the case? When I played some HDR video inside Kodi with firmware versions prior to 6.6510 and in parallel browsed through Kodi's media libraries, all covers and fan-arts have actually been way too dark already. 6.6510 obviously didn't make that any better. I pretty much assume that no tone-mapping is applied to any non-video plane.
post #8772 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
This is the right one, version number 6.6510
I had to look at the last firmware file and check the date, and yes the correct file is in the Sony download package. I had to use a different thumb drive for the install for what reason

The darker UI menus look fine to me in both HDR and non-HDR content. With HDR engaged the UI menus were super bright but only because HDR triggers maxed brightness, contrast, and engages XDR which of course is going to blow out the menus with brightness.

Didn't get a chance to check apps for any updates or changes, but the Stanley Cup game looked DAMN AWESOME!! NBA Finals start tonight

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000

Last edited by CaptinCrunch; 05-30-2019 at 06:21 AM.
post #8773 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't notice any brightness difference on the UI.

You are talking about navigating the Android home screen where you select what apps you want or settings on the tv, correct??

Who cares how bright or dark it is? You watch content, not menus.
lyubohar likes this.

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
post #8774 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Android UI is much dimmer now.
But i never use Android UI apps,etc (i have an apple tv 4k for netflix,etc) so fortunately is not a huge problem for me.
post #8775 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6392 Post(s)
Liked: 6391
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit2k6 View Post
It is indeed DV compatible (logo is on top next to the Atmos logo). The cables are these and I’ve even read reviews from other sites recommending these over $50 Belkin “Dolby Vision” cables. I will try HDMI 2 shortly and a direct connection as well.
Make sure they carry the logo below........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI.png
Views:	42
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	2573562  
post #8776 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys is anyone using x900F with a computer?I have an issue with mine,(i think i didn't had this issue before) While playing a HDR game on my PC (win 10 pro) at 1080p i have issues with the enhanced HDMI option.HDMI is on ARC,i can play the game alright but when i quit the game,it doesnt go back to desktop,instead it reboots the TV...And i must change it back to non enhanced in order to go into desktop again.Anyone has similar issues?
post #8777 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuschelmonschter View Post
Can you specify exactly when this is the case? When I played some HDR video inside Kodi with firmware versions prior to 6.6510 and in parallel browsed through Kodi's media libraries, all covers and fan-arts have actually been way too dark already. 6.6510 obviously didn't make that any better. I pretty much assume that no tone-mapping is applied to any non-video plane.
Subtitle, when it is white color. They did wrong tone-mapping for UI. The white subtitle will be mapped to max brightness and aggravate the blooming issue.
post #8778 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5347 View Post
I gotta say , after reading that agents is on Netflix ( I didn't know they host it) I checked it out and the quality on NF vs TV is incredible. I have to contemplate on just waiting til this season comes to Netflix. It may make watching it that much more enjoyable

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Aren't they on Hulu once they air? Isn't that quality the same better as waiting for next year when it arrives on Netflix. However, I will say that it was definitely better to wait for The Travelers to get onto Netflix as 4K rather than OTA or even other means.

Mark
post #8779 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Just did the firmware update. Note it didn't install with an exFAT formatted drive but was successful with FAT32.

One thing I noticed about the new privacy settings, if you skip it it will disable firmware updates via network. If you try to manually scan for a new update, it will prompt you to accept the privacy settings again.

Netflix and Vudu Dolby Vision/ATMOS still work. Google Play, Amazon HDR10 still don't work (although Amazon DV works for me).

Youtube HDR is still not working either. Tried uninstalling updates and reinstalling and it didn't make a difference.
Since others were getting Youtube HDR and I wasn't, I went ahead with a factory reset. Youtube HDR is now working and actually Google Play Movies HDR10 is working now too (haven't seen any DV titles on there, not sure if that works).

With the factory reset, I agreed to Sony Smart TV services which brings back the ability to manually check for firmware updates. It also eliminated the Programming recommendations on the home screen which were introduced a few months ago, which is a good thing IMO as I prefer a clean home page.

Edit: The programming recommendations (aka sponsored content) came back. To get rid of them I had to uninstall updates to Android TV Core Services, turn off auto update of apps, and then turn off all apps recommendations in the customize channels section of the home page.
Educated Idiot likes this.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 05-30-2019 at 05:39 PM.
post #8780 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Update file ver. 6.6510 is available now here for Lat.America.
I installed last night via thumb drive. Now my malfunction with sound via AVR is fixed.
Before I had to turn off/on several times both TV and AVR in order to get Dolby digital sound.
post #8781 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracGuate View Post
Update file ver. 6.6510 is available now here for Lat.America.
I installed last night via thumb drive. Now my malfunction with sound via AVR is fixed.
Before I had to turn off/on several times both TV and AVR in order to get Dolby digital sound.
I still haven't received the update over the air from April 23rd. Can it really take that long to be pushed to my TV?
Updating with USB is not an option since I have it mounted to a wall and my backlight plugged into that port.

Mark
post #8782 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmx View Post
I still haven't received the update over the air from April 23rd. Can it really take that long to be pushed to my TV?
Updating with USB is not an option since I have it mounted to a wall and my backlight plugged into that port.
Do you have Auto Download enabled? Not possible to temporarily unplug the bias light to install via USB?
post #8783 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Updated to firmware version 6.6510. Not sure if all YouTube HDR videos are made right. Videos resulting from search of "Sony 4K HDR" work and show the HDR logo in the Picture menu now. However, videos resulting from search of "4k HDR10" or "4k Dolby Vision" don't show the HDR logo in the Picture menu and do not max out the brightness. Is it the same for others? I don't have a 4k Blu Ray player so I am unable to test this any other way.
post #8784 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawaji View Post
Updated to firmware version 6.6510. Not sure if all YouTube HDR videos are made right. Videos resulting from search of "Sony 4K HDR" work and show the HDR logo in the Picture menu now. However, videos resulting from search of "4k HDR10" or "4k Dolby Vision" don't show the HDR logo in the Picture menu and do not max out the brightness. Is it the same for others? I don't have a 4k Blu Ray player so I am unable to test this any other way.
Search for the HDR Channel, all videos there are in HDR10 (and some in HLG)
NCGoldwinger and garnuts like this.
post #8785 of 9109 Old 05-30-2019, 11:21 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Subtitle, when it is white color. They did wrong tone-mapping for UI. The white subtitle will be mapped to max brightness and aggravate the blooming issue.
Yes. But that's a problem of the respective playback app, not of the platform brightness. Netflix subs can for example be set to semi-transparent online via Netflix subtitle preferences.
post #8786 of 9109 Old 05-31-2019, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Do you have Auto Download enabled? Not possible to temporarily unplug the bias light to install via USB?

I have an 85 inch mounted on the wall. Not easy to take off. Yes I have Auto update enabled.

Mark
post #8787 of 9109 Old 05-31-2019, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
I have an 85 inch mounted on the wall. Not easy to take off. Yes I have Auto update enabled.

Are the 2 USB ports not still on the side for an 85" set? Mine are easily accessible and my television is mounted. Even the one on the back, which I assume is where your bias lights are plugged in.

Maybe I am just missing something in this.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #8788 of 9109 Old 05-31-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Are the 2 USB ports not still on the side for an 85" set? Mine are easily accessible and my television is mounted. Even the one on the back, which I assume is where your bias lights are plugged in.

Maybe I am just missing something in this.
I have my 75 inch 900F mounted on the wall as well, and can easily access the side USB inputs. I have an extendable mount and didn't even need to pull it out. The only scenario where I could see this being difficult is if you have it mounted right into a corner wall and do not have a mount that tilts, extends or swivels. Otherwise you'll just have to be patient and wait for the network update. It can take a long time to get pushed out to your set, I got tired of waiting and went ahead with the manual update.
post #8789 of 9109 Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had Playstation Vue for the last 1½ years. Although I love the PS Vue, I need to watch my Lakers next season so I will be adding cable soon. I hate the fact that I have to a cable box (another ugly piece of box in my entertainment center). I know the X900F has a cable input in the back of the TV. If i connect the cable directly to the TV I'm guessing I lose DVR. Is my only option to add the cable box?
post #8790 of 9109 Old 05-31-2019, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawaji View Post

Check out the Digital Foundry YouTube channel. They do 4K HDR videos for gaming and they’re excellent. They just did one recently on Red Dead Redemption 2 and the new HDR patch.

PlanetAVS likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision