2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 297 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4194Likes

post #8881 of 9170 Old 06-14-2019, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
Thanks for the reply, when I got the 900F last summer I entered the model number when I created the device and it found it right away. Picture Mode was in the command set (actually twice) and worked from the beginning, until yesterday. I just tested and most of the other commands still work, though some other duplicates too (Info & Display are the same, as are Action Menu and Options).

So it sounds like the 6510 update may have broken just the Picture Mode command, hopefully other Harmony users can confirm this and we can get Sony to fix it.

Edit: Wow, that was post 200! Took almost 15 years, sorry to be so chatty.

Here are the commands from the Harmony database for the 85-900F (on my iPad)
I don't remember ever seeing the Picture Mode and others must have had the same as there was a post on the 900E thread where they were using the Sony KDE-55XBR950 so I had Logitech add that command to my setup and it worked.

Now that I think of it, I must have had Logitech add this when I had the 900E, which I had replaced under warranty and was given a 900F as a replacement, but the added Picture Mode command Logitech added to my setup I carried over when setting up the new 900F.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55931598

After updating recently it no longer works, but now that I look at all the commands available on my 900F I do see the Picture Mode button, but it doesn't work.

I am going to report this to Logitech and hopefully they can get it back working. We shall see.
bmcleod and Jeff5347 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8882 of 9170 Old 06-14-2019, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
I am going to report this to Logitech and hopefully they can get it back working. We shall see.
I reported it to Sony as I believe the Harmony is still sending the correct command, the Sony is just no longer responding to it. Logitech can only help if Sony changed the code for Picture Mode and didn’t tell anyone. If this is the case you’d probably need to know the new code for Logitech to fix it. Thanks however for getting Picture Mode added in the first place, it’s very helpful.

We could probably use some corroboration from other non-Harmony universal remote users (URC, Pronto, Control 4, etc), presumably the firmware update would have broken their Picture Mode as well.

I reported the issue to Sony via chat and it didn’t take long, the guy actually understood the issue and said he would report it and tell his supervisor, he of course didn’t promise it would be fixed in the next firmware, but they did give me a case number. eMail is also an option for opening a case and might get into the system via a different route if anyone wants to also report that way. I’m sure the more of us that report it, the more likely it will be to get fixed.

I started here: https://us.esupport.sony.com/support...guage=en_US#tv

P.S. As implied, the 6.6510 FW update could have broken other Sony models as well (like the 900E), hopefully they are also raising this issue with Sony.
jdsnov73 likes this.

HT: Emotiva XMC-1G2v3> XPA-7G3> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS & SVS SB-4000 (7.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva XMC-1G2v3> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1

Last edited by bmcleod; 06-14-2019 at 06:14 AM.
post #8883 of 9170 Old 06-14-2019, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvarck31 View Post
You can press Action menu>Picture adjustments and it should show on the right top side whether it's in HDR or Dolby Vision mode.

And yes, The Tick is an Prime Video original.
maybe this worked before the update??? I tried last night and it doesn't show much except the option to adjust picture settings. this was while watching The Tick (the new one) on the UHD listing.

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8884 of 9170 Old 06-14-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton View Post
maybe this worked before the update??? I tried last night and it doesn't show much except the option to adjust picture settings. this was while watching The Tick (the new one) on the UHD listing.
It does still work after the update, though as I mentioned above, to see the HDR flag I had to change from HDMI 3 to HDMI 2. I actually assume this is unique to my set, but you might try it (unless you’re using ARC).

HT: Emotiva XMC-1G2v3> XPA-7G3> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS & SVS SB-4000 (7.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #8885 of 9170 Old 06-14-2019, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6410 Post(s)
Liked: 6405
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor99999 View Post
I am just stupid, I shouldn't have bought at this time and waited till the remodeling was started and done with. And I would have if I waited just 2 more days when we signed with the contractor. I was just excited to get this TV, and like a kid, I wanted it now. Oh well. I still have an amazing TV that I will get to experience in 4-5 months.

Mark
Stupid, no.....By the time your remodel is done these could be sold out.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt4 View Post
My 75" 900F was delivered today.... guy delivering it helped to unbox so I could check it and upon him pulling the box off the TV went crashing to the ground. Luckily it fell on its pack, plugged it in and all seems fine but cant help feeling like something has to be wrong after the fall.
When you lift the outer shell of the box up and off, you got to have a hand on that TV which is not the easiest thing to do.... Been there.........almost done that.
post #8886 of 9170 Old 06-14-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Starting to look at a new TV and this set is high on my list of considerations. I see that these are a 2018 model and look like they were released in March 2018. Is the 950G supposed to be the update and current year model or is it possible that a new Sony set will be released soon as an upgrade from this set?

Also, one of the things that I've been racking my brain with is not wanting to have to do a receiver upgrade. Thinking about it a little more, the main sources for 4k that I'd likely use are Amazon and Netflix. Since both of these would probably be viewed through the TV itself am I correct that I probably can stick with my old receiver and not worry that it doesn't support HDMI 2.0?

Thanks.
post #8887 of 9170 Old 06-14-2019, 02:40 PM
DrA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 43
After updating the software DV is still very dim without calibration. To make it watchable I increased the gamma to maximum and black level to 55. They should include the night/day option for DV in the next update. This TV has a DV problem. It is doing the opposite of what High dynamic range should do for shadow details. I don't think Ozark creators intended that half of the people's faces be black in this scene.
The picture on left is after increasing the gamma and the black level.
I am using the internal TV Netflix app for these pictures. From Apple TV DV is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ORG__DSC3680.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	469.6 KB
ID:	2579942   Click image for larger version

Name:	ORG__DSC3675.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	2579944  

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.

Last edited by DrA; 06-14-2019 at 03:20 PM.
post #8888 of 9170 Old 06-14-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Dr. A - Ozark is a really bad example to rate DV. Try virtually any other DV Encoded program. Most others I have tried are beautiful on my 75- 900F. Ozark is DARK.
fgsouza likes this.

Spoiler!
post #8889 of 9170 Old 06-14-2019, 09:49 PM
DrA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
Dr. A - Ozark is a really bad example to rate DV. Try virtually any other DV Encoded program. Most others I have tried are beautiful on my 75- 900F. Ozark is DARK.
You are absolutely correct, they probably used a filter to make more impactful series but there is a difference between that and unwatchable. I watched this show last year on my Sony 930E and there was no problem.

So I went to my other TV room and took the same screen shots. I watched the same scenes again on uncalibrated 930E. There is no missing shadow details like on uncalibrated 900F. There is a day and night difference. (pun intended). This TV's Dolby Vision is defective. It needs day/night DV switch like in new 950G. I hope they can do it through the firmware update. I did it manually messing with gamma and black level but how about the rest of the consumers.
My question to the experts is: Did this changes affect the overall DV picture quality making it more washed out compared to 930E?
The picture below is the 930 E screenshot.
900F pictures are in my above post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	930.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	2580176  

post #8890 of 9170 Old 06-15-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Since your not happy with the"defective" tv, return it. That's what I would do.
DrA likes this.
post #8891 of 9170 Old 06-15-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_man View Post
Starting to look at a new TV and this set is high on my list of considerations. I see that these are a 2018 model and look like they were released in March 2018. Is the 950G supposed to be the update and current year model or is it possible that a new Sony set will be released soon as an upgrade from this set?

Also, one of the things that I've been racking my brain with is not wanting to have to do a receiver upgrade. Thinking about it a little more, the main sources for 4k that I'd likely use are Amazon and Netflix. Since both of these would probably be viewed through the TV itself am I correct that I probably can stick with my old receiver and not worry that it doesn't support HDMI 2.0?

Thanks.
Can’t help with new models, happy with my 900F and haven’t looked at what’s new.

You certainly can use your non HDMI 2.0 receiver, as you say you can use the built in Apps for 4K, and also plug any external sources you might have directly into the TV (HDMI 2.0 or 1.4).

The trick comes in getting the best sound possible back to your receiver. If it works out for you ARC carries the most formats, including Dolby Digital Plus. ARC however can be problematic and often it’s easier to run a TOSLink cable, this will limit you to Dolby Digital 5.1.

So, if you have a 5.x surround system you’ll be fine with TOSLink, if you have 7.x you’ll want to get ARC working. I assume you don’t have Atmos.

post #8892 of 9170 Old 06-16-2019, 11:09 AM
DrA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 63 View Post
Since your not happy with the"defective" tv, return it. That's what I would do.
Returning is the easy part. Disassembling, Transporting a 100 Lb Tv to BB is the PITA. The problem is only dim DV and dim UI after the latest update. This TV is beautiful in other modes. And there are only limited options for another 85'' Sony. Is 85'' 950 G brighter in DV? I paid $800 extra for the BB return policy. Any suggestions?
8K, 10,000 nits of brightness XBR-85Z9G is not an option because the price is 4 times more expensive.
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Last edited by DrA; 06-16-2019 at 09:16 PM.
post #8893 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
It does still work after the update, though as I mentioned above, to see the HDR flag I had to change from HDMI 3 to HDMI 2. I actually assume this is unique to my set, but you might try it (unless you’re using ARC).
I am using ARC...so forget it

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
post #8894 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Currently trying to decide between this set, the 850g (both in 85") or a projector setup. I currently have a 65" OLED B6 and although I love the picture, I just want something bigger.

As I have a dedicated theater room, my concern with going the TV route is the black levels and blooming in a dark room. I jumped straight from traditional backlight to OLED so I'm not sure how much I would notice any bloom with a FALD display. I would go OLED again but I don't think the increase to 77" which is as big as they go at the moment, is worth the price.

Does anyone use the 900f or 850g in a fully dark environment have any comments on the black level performance and any issues with blooming?
post #8895 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrowe86 View Post
Currently trying to decide between this set, the 850g (both in 85") or a projector setup. I currently have a 65" OLED B6 and although I love the picture, I just want something bigger.

As I have a dedicated theater room, my concern with going the TV route is the black levels and blooming in a dark room. I jumped straight from traditional backlight to OLED so I'm not sure how much I would notice any bloom with a FALD display. I would go OLED again but I don't think the increase to 77" which is as big as they go at the moment, is worth the price.

Does anyone use the 900f or 850g in a fully dark environment have any comments on the black level performance and any issues with blooming?
The 900F has very good black performance in a dark room. Some people notice blooming but bias lighting and sitting on center can minimize this. The 900F has the faster X1 Extreme processor and is a FALD display. I'd pick the 900F unless budget is a concern, the 850G might be a better value at 85"
post #8896 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 10:37 AM

Another recent issue after the software update...

My Logitec harmony elite no longer controls the TV. It was working fine before.

I use a wired internet connection on the TV, and it seems like the Harmony can only function properly if the TV is connected to the WIFI on the same network. I had disconnected the WIFI to the TV because there was an issue using BOTH wifi and wired connection, something wouldn't chromecast properly or maybe it was an ARC issue (can't remember what the issue was).

I would prefer wired connection on the TV due to the better bandwidth, but I also want the remote to work properly. I also cannot add a WIFI network, it tries but never connects. I think I need to first remove the ethernet cable, but not sure. I will try tonight.

Any recommendations?

BTW, all the AV equipment is in a remote room, which is why I use the Harmony.....

Not sure exactly what the software update had to do with this, if anything........

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
post #8897 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I use a wired internet connection on the TV, and it seems like the Harmony can only function properly if the TV is connected to the WIFI on the same network. I had disconnected the WIFI to the TV because there was an issue using BOTH wifi and wired connection, something wouldn't chromecast properly or maybe it was an ARC issue (can't remember what the issue was).

I would prefer wired connection on the TV due to the better bandwidth, but I also want the remote to work properly. I also cannot add a WIFI network, it tries but never connects. I think I need to first remove the ethernet cable, but not sure. I will try tonight.

Any recommendations?

BTW, all the AV equipment is in a remote room, which is why I use the Harmony.....

Not sure exactly what the software update had to do with this, if anything........
Having the same issue with my Harmony Ultimate Home and I'm still on the previous update. It gives me an error message that it can't communicate with my 900F on ethernet. Says to use software to troubleshoot. Nowhere on software does it have a troubleshooter. Frustrated!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #8898 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I was watching Friends from Netflix last night on my 900F and it seemed granny on the people's faces. Chalked it up to just being older but then turned on stranger things season 2 and noticed DV HDR grainyness on certain things like sky.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #8899 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
900F casting doesn't show up on my TV is off. For instance I'm watching something on YouTube and want to cast it however my 900F does not show as it's off. As soon as I turn it on it instantly shows. Is there a way to have cast wake it?

post #8900 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
Having the same issue with my Harmony Ultimate Home and I'm still on the previous update. It gives me an error message that it can't communicate with my 900F on ethernet. Says to use software to troubleshoot. Nowhere on software does it have a troubleshooter. Frustrated!

I sometimes have that problem if I totally shut down, reboot, or unplug the Sony; the firmware update does several full reboots -- the problem is not unique to FW 6.6510. When you first add the Sony as a Harmony Device using IP, it asks for a code on the Sony screen, essentially you are giving the Hub permission to control the Sony via the network. It seems when you shutdown the Sony, the Harmony Hub thinks it needs to ask permission again, at least this is what I've surmised by the way it's acted in the past.

My go to fix is to launch a TV based activity from my iPad instead of the Harmony remote, it sometimes then asks me for the code on the screen (which may or may not be on, and I've never actually seen another code). I just leave the code field empty and hit Enter, or Continue, or whatever the prompt is. That seems to fix the connection between the Hub and Sony, at least it has for me and it's worked several times. If you don't have an iPad an iPhone might also work, or possibly an Android device, I've only tried an iPad.

Unplugging your Hub may also help as it does with other problems. Once I've also deleted the Sony 'Device' in the Harmony App and then re-added it, it's not that hard to rerun the Activities and fix the Sony settings, but I only did that to try and fix the Picture Mode problem I mentioned above and while it didn't fix that, it might fix this.

Hope it works for you!
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

post #8901 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
I was watching Friends from Netflix last night on my 900F and it seemed granny on the people's faces. Chalked it up to just being older but then turned on stranger things season 2 and noticed DV HDR grainyness on certain things like sky.

Thoughts?

Stranger Things is grainy. Part of the intentional 80s look.
bytor99999 likes this.
post #8902 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I sometimes have that problem if I totally shut down, reboot, or unplug the Sony; the firmware update does several full reboots -- the problem is not unique to FW 6.6510. When you first add the Sony as a Harmony Device using IP, it asks for a code on the Sony screen, essentially you are giving the Hub permission to control the Sony via the network. It seems when you shutdown the Sony, the Harmony Hub thinks it needs to ask permission again, at least this is what I've surmised by the way it's acted in the past.

My go to fix is to launch a TV based activity from my iPad instead of the Harmony remote, it sometimes then asks me for the code on the screen (which may or may not be on, and I've never actually seen another code). I just leave the code field empty and hit Enter, or Continue, or whatever the prompt is. That seems to fix the connection between the Hub and Sony, at least it has for me and it's worked several times. If you don't have an iPad an iPhone might also work, or possibly an Android device, I've only tried an iPad.

Unplugging your Hub may also help as it does with other problems. Once I've also deleted the Sony 'Device' in the Harmony App and then re-added it, it's not that hard to rerun the Activities and fix the Sony settings, but I only did that to try and fix the Picture Mode problem I mentioned above and while it didn't fix that, it might fix this.

Hope it works for you!
Thanks, I'll give those solutions a try. I hate to delete the device and start over.

bmcleod likes this.
post #8903 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I know this is a Sony 900F thread, but if anyone in here has any experience with these sets: If you could get an 82" Samsung Q70 or a 75" Sony 900F for the same price, which would you choose? Rtings has them pretty similar overall which gives the extra size of the Samsung a slight edge.
post #8904 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
I know this is a Sony 900F thread, but if anyone in here has any experience with these sets: If you could get an 82" Samsung Q70 or a 75" Sony 900F for the same price, which would you choose? Rtings has them pretty similar overall which gives the extra size of the Samsung a slight edge.
Hate to admit it but I'd go with the Samsung. The only significant advantage to the 900F is Dolby Vision but the extra immersion from the 82 inch Q70 would outweigh DV IMO. However if I were in the market for a 80+ inch TV, I'd look at the 85 inch Sony 850G
bmcleod likes this.
post #8905 of 9170 Old 06-17-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
Thanks, I'll give those solutions a try. I hate to delete the device and start over.

I don’t think you should have to, good luck!

post #8906 of 9170 Old 06-18-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I don’t think you should have to, good luck!
I tried to delete the sony tv from the harmony and then re-add it. That is when I found out it must be on WIFI to add it. Wifi will not connect unless I unplug the ethernet cable. I can't unplug the cable without a ladder, the ladder is dirty and needs to be cleaned before it goes on the carpet.......

my first world problems drive me nuts...

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
post #8907 of 9170 Old 06-18-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I tried to delete the sony tv from the harmony and then re-add it. That is when I found out it must be on WIFI to add it. Wifi will not connect unless I unplug the ethernet cable. I can't unplug the cable without a ladder, the ladder is dirty and needs to be cleaned before it goes on the carpet.......

I had this issue some time back. I resolved it by deleting the TV and re-adding it - but not letting it set up WIFI control when adding the device. RF control works great with the TV, there is really no need to have WIFI control over it.
post #8908 of 9170 Old 06-18-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
is there any chance the x900f is going to support HDR10+?
post #8909 of 9170 Old 06-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag66 View Post
I had this issue some time back. I resolved it by deleting the TV and re-adding it - but not letting it set up WIFI control when adding the device. RF control works great with the TV, there is really no need to have WIFI control over it.
Not having IP means you can only use the IR remote, have your hub within IR range of the TV, or use a blaster. This is probably fine for many/most, but it doesn't mean there's no use for IP. I still prefer IP whenever my gear supports it, but the Sony implementation isn't perfect so I don't discount your position.

post #8910 of 9170 Old 06-18-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Thats interesting, I use wired ethernet and am pretty sure my WiFi is off, I don't remember having a problem when I re-added my Sony.

An unrelated gripe ... Sony made a huge blunder only equipping the 900F with a 100Mbps port instead of 1Gbps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page