2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 303 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4354Likes

post #9061 of 9730 Old 07-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just setup my XBR-75X900F today, and am having an audio issue that's driving me nuts. Lip sync is just ever so slightly off with my TV and receiver (Yamaha RX-V477, connected via an optical digital cable), with the Yamaha being slightly behind, so I adjusting there doesn't help. I've fiddled with every audio setting on the TV but the delay is still noticeable. This happens in the Netflix app on the TV, as well as my TiVo Roamio (HDMI), so ARC is unlikely to help at least for the former. Is there anything else I can try to get this to sync up? I rarely use the receiver, so I'd rather not switch the TV sound from Speaker to Receiver if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9062 of 9730 Old 07-11-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
For the $5 cost of the cables/switch, why not give it a try? Otherwise you could look for a cheap AVR on Craigslist and run the legacy devices through the AVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
Thanks, I'll give it a shot then.

She has an audio receiver, and I just finished connecting her record player, cd player, and dual cassette player to it, and making sure each of those still work. I'm hoping not to mess with any more audio devices.

EDIT: I guess the above devices aren't relevant, since they're not connected to the TV, but rather room speakers.

A new AVR would be specifically for the TV.

I'll also try calling Sony today to see if they can verify this will work.

I called Sony, and they said I have to use an "analog extension cable" which is the 3.5 mm to female RCA adapter.

I asked if I could use a 3.5 mm to male RCA cable, and they said maybe, but it's not tested.

What does everyone else think? I think it should work, but would like others' opinions before purchasing.
post #9063 of 9730 Old 07-11-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTP66 View Post
I just setup my XBR-75X900F today, and am having an audio issue that's driving me nuts. Lip sync is just ever so slightly off with my TV and receiver (Yamaha RX-V477, connected via an optical digital cable), with the Yamaha being slightly behind, so I adjusting there doesn't help. I've fiddled with every audio setting on the TV but the delay is still noticeable. This happens in the Netflix app on the TV, as well as my TiVo Roamio (HDMI), so ARC is unlikely to help at least for the former. Is there anything else I can try to get this to sync up? I rarely use the receiver, so I'd rather not switch the TV sound from Speaker to Receiver if possible.
***Why are you using an optical digital cable if you don't use your AVR? (Whoops - quoted the wrong AVR specs earlier. It looks like your AVR is NOT HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2) I take it that you don't have a 5.1 sound system and use the TV speakers? If that's the case, the native apps (Netflix/Amazon/etc.) should work fine without any delay with your TV speaker. And, just use one of the other Sony 900F HDMI "Inputs," directly, with your Tivo Roamio and the TV audio. Am I missing something? (Also - turn off ALL processing on your Tivo Roamio, if it has any and go with native output (resolution) if that's an option.)

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 07-11-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9064 of 9730 Old 07-11-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've run into a weird issue. With both my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X if I am on HDMI3 I have black screen flickers and picture drop outs. If I use all of the exact same products (same console, same hdmi cord, etc) on HDMI 2 I have no issues what so ever, can play for hours and hours without dropouts. I'm leaning towards thinking this is a problem with the tv since it works fine on HDMI2, it's just HDMI3 that has issues. Has anyone run into something like this before or have any thoughts on a possible fix for it? If not I suppose I'll have to try and get it repaired. I would like to use the ARC function for when I watch OTA tv.

Btw the hdmi cords I am using are Monoprice Certified Premium (2 different ones) as well as a Cable Matters certified premium cord.
post #9065 of 9730 Old 07-11-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Quote:
***Why are you using an optical digital cable if you don't use your AVR? (Whoops - quoted the wrong AVR specs earlier. It looks like your AVR is NOT HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2) I take it that you don't have a 5.1 sound system and use the TV speakers? If that's the case, the native apps (Netflix/Amazon/etc.) should work fine without any delay with your TV speaker. And, just use one of the other Sony 900F HDMI "Inputs," directly, with your Tivo Roamio and the TV audio. Am I missing something? (Also - turn off ALL processing on your Tivo Roamio, if it has any and go with native output (resolution) if that's an option.)
I do have a 5.1 system, which is what I’m trying to use here. Netflix is running on the TV, and my optical cable is going from TV out to the receiver input, so none of the HDMI stuff matters here. The TV speakers are in sync with the video, but the speakers connected to my AV receiver are out of sync (a little fast). This applies to all of my inputs, but I figured Netflix would be the easiest 5since HDMI isn’t in play.
post #9066 of 9730 Old 07-11-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2039 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
I called Sony, and they said I have to use an "analog extension cable" which is the 3.5 mm to female RCA adapter.

I asked if I could use a 3.5 mm to male RCA cable, and they said maybe, but it's not tested.

What does everyone else think? I think it should work, but would like others' opinions before purchasing.
Give it a try. In some countries, Sony includes the adapter cable. Rtngs links to the cable that is required in the Total Inputs section of their review. What is more uncertain is if the switch you mentioned will work since there are two legacy devices to connect.
post #9067 of 9730 Old 07-11-2019, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Give it a try. In some countries, Sony includes the adapter cable. Rtngs links to the cable that is required in the Total Inputs section of their review. What is more uncertain is if the switch you mentioned will work since there are two legacy devices to connect.

I never knew about that section until you mentioned it.

Thanks.
post #9068 of 9730 Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do have a 5.1 system, which is what I’m trying to use here. Netflix is running on the TV, and my optical cable is going from TV out to the receiver input, so none of the HDMI stuff matters here. The TV speakers are in sync with the video, but the speakers connected to my AV receiver are out of sync (a little fast). This applies to all of my inputs, but I figured Netflix would be the easiest 5since HDMI isn’t in play.
***Sorry - I thought you said that you rarely use your AVR. Which means, to me, you rarely use your 5.1 system. Which means, I think, you want to use your AVR and 5.1 speaker system more - now.

I’d try ARC and turn off all video processing on your AVR side. Let your Sony 900F do all the upscaling. ARC will give you DD+, which is better than DD 5.1, which can be dumbed down compared to DD+, which is a higher resolution audio stream.

Are you using any of the audio features like YPAQ? ARC can be a pain but well worth it, IMHO. Good luck.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #9069 of 9730 Old 07-11-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have an issue that started yesterday. My 55" x900f has green vertical lines on the bottom half of the screen. This only happens on the HDMI inputs but it happens on all 4 hdmi inputs.

Has anyone ever come across this issue?
post #9070 of 9730 Old 07-11-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmitche1 View Post
I have an issue that started yesterday. My 55" x900f has green vertical lines on the bottom half of the screen. This only happens on the HDMI inputs but it happens on all 4 hdmi inputs.

Try a hard reset and if it doesn't help, a factory reset
post #9071 of 9730 Old 07-12-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
***Sorry - I thought you said that you rarely use your AVR. Which means, to me, you rarely use your 5.1 system. Which means, I think, you want to use your AVR and 5.1 speaker system more - now.

I’d try ARC and turn off all video processing on your AVR side. Let your Sony 900F do all the upscaling. ARC will give you DD+, which is better than DD 5.1, which can be dumbed down compared to DD+, which is a higher resolution audio stream.

Are you using any of the audio features like YPAQ? ARC can be a pain but well worth it, IMHO. Good luck.

Yeah, my habits are weird. 99% of the time, I only use the TV speakers. Every once in a while (movies, mainly), I'll turn on the receiver so that I have audio from both the TV and receiver, which is what I'm working on now.

I've never used YPAO, no. If I go the ARC route, is it safe to assume that I shouldn't bother setting up YPAO? It sounds like I should probably evolve and either change the X900F to use my AV for sound (while still connected to the digital optical cable), or go the ARC route for my TiVo Roamio (which only has 1080p 24/25fps Pass Thru and 1080i enabled). I appreciate the help, BTW.
post #9072 of 9730 Old 07-12-2019, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Yeah, my habits are weird. 99% of the time, I only use the TV speakers. Every once in a while (movies, mainly), I'll turn on the receiver so that I have audio from both the TV and receiver, which is what I'm working on now.

I've never used YPAO, no. If I go the ARC route, is it safe to assume that I shouldn't bother setting up YPAO? It sounds like I should probably evolve and either change the X900F to use my AV for sound (while still connected to the digital optical cable), or go the ARC route for my TiVo Roamio (which only has 1080p 24/25fps Pass Thru and 1080i enabled). I appreciate the help, BTW.
Why would you want audio from both the TV and the receiver? That would sound horrible.

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
post #9073 of 9730 Old 07-12-2019, 06:19 AM

At this point, it was simply force of habit. I'm going to just move on from that and run everything from the receiver now.
post #9074 of 9730 Old 07-12-2019, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
At this point, it was simply force of habit. I'm going to just move on from that and run everything from the receiver now.
I switch back and forth. I use the TV speakers most of the time as it is easier for the others in the house to operate. During movies, I have to manually switch in the action menu to not use the TV speakers. I don't remember the wording on the menu. It's a bit frustrating, but I am used to it by now. My last TV would out to both all of the time, but this TV only outputs stereo through optical unless I turn off the TV speakers.
post #9075 of 9730 Old 07-12-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton View Post
Why would you want audio from both the TV and the receiver? That would sound horrible.

***Even if you have an AVR, you will get an audio signal from the TV speakers when the AVR is on and playing through your speaker system. Of course, you turn the volume down to zero (TV audio) and listen through your speakers.

There are times when you want to listen via your TV speakers, only, (late at night), and you can easily do this with the RX-V477 in "Standby Through" mode where the audio will pass through your AVR to your TV without being "On" - only in "Standby" mode. ARC can muddy this up by automatically turning your AVR "On" when the "HDMI Control" is "On" (Sony HDMI CEC function to enable ARC) but I believe you can still turn your AVR off (manually) and listen to audio through your TV speakers. (Not trying to confuse you but that's the fun of CEC & ARC.)

As far as YPAO goes - - it's room correction software that can optimize the audio for your room and 5.1 speaker layout.

Home Theater Setup

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 07-12-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #9076 of 9730 Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6674 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmitche1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
People keep calling the 950G a replacement for the 900f yet Sony keeps producing new 900f sets.
They sure do or its old stock, we will know for sure soon enough......The B8, C*, E8, and W8 oleds are still around to.
post #9077 of 9730 Old 07-12-2019, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus647 View Post
I've run into a weird issue. With both my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X if I am on HDMI3 I have black screen flickers and picture drop outs. If I use all of the exact same products (same console, same hdmi cord, etc) on HDMI 2 I have no issues what so ever, can play for hours and hours without dropouts. I'm leaning towards thinking this is a problem with the tv since it works fine on HDMI2, it's just HDMI3 that has issues. Has anyone run into something like this before or have any thoughts on a possible fix for it? If not I suppose I'll have to try and get it repaired. I would like to use the ARC function for when I watch OTA tv.

Btw the hdmi cords I am using are Monoprice Certified Premium (2 different ones) as well as a Cable Matters certified premium cord.
I have a similar ... but different issue. I can no longer get HDR (HDR10 or HLG) to work on the 900F's HDMI 3 input, but I can get Dolby Vision. Everything works fine into HDMI 2, and I even get a second 'badge' when DV or HDR content starts. Last fall HDMI 3 seemed to work fine with all of these formats. Since I don't use ARC, HDMI 2 is a good workaround, but if it is a hardware issue I'd like to get it fixed while it's under warranty. I've done a factory reset, but haven't tested whether it fixed HDMI 3 yet.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #9078 of 9730 Old 07-13-2019, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
***Even if you have an AVR, you will get an audio signal from the TV speakers when the AVR is on and playing through your speaker system. Of course, you turn the volume down to zero (TV audio) and listen through your speakers.

There are times when you want to listen via your TV speaI waskers, only, (late at night), and you can easily do this with the RX-V477 in "Standby Through" mode where the audio will pass through your AVR to your TV without being "On" - only in "Standby" mode. ARC can muddy this up by automatically turning your AVR "On" when the "HDMI Control" is "On" (Sony HDMI CEC function to enable ARC) but I believe you can still turn your AVR off (manually) and listen to audio through your TV speakers. (Not trying to confuse you but that's the fun of CEC & ARC.)

As far as YPAO goes - - it's room correction software that can optimize the audio for your room and 5.1 speaker layout.
I was under the impression he was listening to BOTH at the same time.

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
post #9079 of 9730 Old 07-13-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton View Post
I was under the impression he was listening to BOTH at the same time.
***Ah, yes. That’s his version of Dolby Atmos...

Home Theater Setup
post #9080 of 9730 Old 07-13-2019, 01:09 PM

First off, thanks for the help. I’ve got everything running via HDMI through the receiver now, and am using ARC. I’m 99% of the way there, with standby pass through working nicely (if I turn off the receiver, it switches to TV audio; if the receiver is on, it uses it and mutes the tv).

However, I’ve got one weird issue that I can’t seem to figure out. If I hit the Netflix button and start watching a show, there is no audio. My receiver flickers between PCM and something else, and eventually lands on “Decoder OFF”. If I switch to any other AV input on the receiver and then back to AV1, audio starts working, and I’ve got Dolby Digital+. I’ve played around with just about every setting in the tv, and the only thing that changes this behavior is. Y setting “Digital audio out” to PCM. Audio will work if I do that, but it shows up as 2 channel PCM and not DD+.

Any ideas here? I’ve been searching for an answer, but every thread I find with somebody who has the same issue is unresolved.

Last edited by NTP66; 07-13-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #9081 of 9730 Old 07-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I went crazy trying to figure out why I couldn't get audio from the 65X900F and also an LG 55B7 OLED I tried earlier running a Sony STR-DN1080 HT receiver. Everything is plugged into the str-dn1080 and HDMI out (arc) on str-dn1080 to HDMI 3 (arc) of the tv. This is only when using my Bell Satellite 6400 receiver. My sony 4k player worked fine and an IPTV box.

Long story short, I had to run the HDMI cable from the 6400 sat receiver directly to the x900f HDMI 1. turns out the STR-DN1080 receiver had to be on the "TV" input of the receiver. I have nothing plugged into the TV input. Everything is plugged into the str-dn1080 and HDMI out (arc) to X900F. Originally the satellite receiver was using the cable/sat input. External audio out set on the x900f, and all is good. When I run my satellite receiver I have to switch to HDMI 1 on the x900f. Anything else will use HDMI 3 on the X900F.

I tried calling LG and the rep was pointing the finger at my satellite provider. He wouldn't even try helping me after I told him I tried the settings in the audio section of the x900f. I also called Sony and he was more helpful, but neither one could figure out my problem. I had to figure it out myself. I previously was running a Panasonic 55 LED TV that worked fine.

Last edited by Ripper64; 07-13-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #9082 of 9730 Old 07-13-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Let me ask you owners of the 900F a question regarding how your broadcast material(1080i or 720p) looks on your panels. To preface this, I was so impressed with the 4K picture that I viewed in Best Buy, that I bought my adult son a 49.5" 900F, primarily for his gaming, and then secondly, for 4K Netflix streaming movies. Then I recommended the 65" 900F to two different brother-in-laws (who purchased same), so I truly think highly of this Sony product !
My question relates to the "softish" manner that I have always seen it render 1080i broadcast (I have seen cable {Comcast-FIOS/Charter}; I have seen 1080i in Best Buy briefly as well). I say this in comparison to my ten year-old 1080p Panasonic plasma, which renders a cleaner, sharper image (especially with regards to facial characteristics). Upscaled 4K seems to give facial features a "clay-ish" smeared look, and at best (that I have experienced), just softer rendering is the best way that I can describe it. In fact, I consider 1080i upscaling on virtually all 4K panels to be the "dirty secret" not acknowledged or admitted. I often hear "Well the upscale on my 4K looks pretty good" or "I have 'no problem' with broadcast/1080i on my 4K panel !" I have stayed away from buying either a 65" 900F OR a Sony OLED because they (so far from what I have found) cannot even equal, muchness exceed what I regularly view now on that 10 year-old 1080p plasma. Sure, 4K would look SPECTACULAR; no doubt ! And even 1080p Blu-ray material. But a LOT of us watch a fair amount of broadcast, especially football in the fall.
Are you folks able to successfully view a decently-tight broadcast ? What source do you use that is the least compressed? (I know that OTA seems to be the least compressed where accessible).
Thanks for your responses. And congratulations on a GREAT 4K panel as the 900-F.
post #9083 of 9730 Old 07-13-2019, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
Let me ask you owners of the 900F a question regarding how your broadcast material(1080i or 720p) looks on your panels. To preface this, I was so impressed with the 4K picture that I viewed in Best Buy, that I bought my adult son a 49.5" 900F, primarily for his gaming, and then secondly, for 4K Netflix streaming movies. Then I recommended the 65" 900F to two different brother-in-laws (who purchased same), so I truly think highly of this Sony product !
My question relates to the "softish" manner that I have always seen it render 1080i broadcast (I have seen cable {Comcast-FIOS/Charter}; I have seen 1080i in Best Buy briefly as well). I say this in comparison to my ten year-old 1080p Panasonic plasma, which renders a cleaner, sharper image (especially with regards to facial characteristics). Upscaled 4K seems to give facial features a "clay-ish" smeared look, and at best (that I have experienced), just softer rendering is the best way that I can describe it. In fact, I consider 1080i upscaling on virtually all 4K panels to be the "dirty secret" not acknowledged or admitted. I often hear "Well the upscale on my 4K looks pretty good" or "I have 'no problem' with broadcast/1080i on my 4K panel !" I have stayed away from buying either a 65" 900F OR a Sony OLED because they (so far from what I have found) cannot even equal, muchness exceed what I regularly view now on that 10 year-old 1080p plasma. Sure, 4K would look SPECTACULAR; no doubt ! And even 1080p Blu-ray material. But a LOT of us watch a fair amount of broadcast, especially football in the fall.
Are you folks able to successfully view a decently-tight broadcast ? What source do you use that is the least compressed? (I know that OTA seems to be the least compressed where accessible).
Thanks for your responses. And congratulations on a GREAT 4K panel as the 900-F.
1080i looks good. 720P not so much. Compression is going to vary from station to station, market to market
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #9084 of 9730 Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Question So, what is YOUR source for 1080i ?

Quote:
1080i looks good. 720P not so much. Compression is going to vary from station to station, market to market
Okay, well, so what is your source for 1080i ?
post #9085 of 9730 Old 07-13-2019, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Local OTA channels, all of them except Fox which broadcasts at 720P and is noticeably softer. Comcast cable is notorious for using a lot of compression, therefore the results you see are not surprising
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #9086 of 9730 Old 07-14-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
OTA from the Sacramento stations looks great, I have a good signal and antenna. Most of the HD channels from DirecTV (including the locals) also look very good. DTV’s 4K material goes from very good to exceptional.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #9087 of 9730 Old 07-14-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Local OTA channels, all of them except Fox which broadcasts at 720P and is noticeably softer. Comcast cable is notorious for using a lot of compression, therefore the results you see are not surprising
Besides FOX, ABC and ESPN are also 720p (and a few lesser channels)

post #9088 of 9730 Old 07-14-2019, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
Besides FOX, ABC and ESPN are also 720p (and a few lesser channels)
It varies by market. ABC in Austin TX broadcasts OTA at 1080i. ESPN being a cable channel, I believe broadcasts 720P nationally but I'm not sure.
bmcleod likes this.
post #9089 of 9730 Old 07-14-2019, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First off, thanks for the help. I’ve got everything running via HDMI through the receiver now, and am using ARC. I’m 99% of the way there, with standby pass through working nicely (if I turn off the receiver, it switches to TV audio; if the receiver is on, it uses it and mutes the tv).

However, I’ve got one weird issue that I can’t seem to figure out. If I hit the Netflix button and start watching a show, there is no audio. My receiver flickers between PCM and something else, and eventually lands on “Decoder OFF”. If I switch to any other AV input on the receiver and then back to AV1, audio starts working, and I’ve got Dolby Digital+. I’ve played around with just about every setting in the tv, and the only thing that changes this behavior is. Y setting “Digital audio out” to PCM. Audio will work if I do that, but it shows up as 2 channel PCM and not DD+.

Any ideas here? I’ve been searching for an answer, but every thread I find with somebody who has the same issue is unresolved.
***Ah - one of the quirks with Sony and ARC. The same happens to me but primarily with Amazon Prime. You’ve already discovered the solution - just toggle between inputs on your AVR remote until you get sound. A small inconvenience to get DD+ audio.

Home Theater Setup
post #9090 of 9730 Old 07-14-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
***Ah - one of the quirks with Sony and ARC. The same happens to me but primarily with Amazon Prime. You’ve already discovered the solution - just toggle between inputs on your AVR remote until you get sound. A small inconvenience to get DD+ audio.
Yeah, happens with both Netflix and Prime. YouTube, for whatever reason, doesn't have this issue. I'm going to just add some buttons to my Harmony One to make switching it quick and easy, but if my wife starts to get annoyed, I may just change DD+ to DD in the TV and use an optical cable for those two. My Yamaha receiver is only a 5.1 system, so I'm not even sure how much of a benefit DD+ would be for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page