2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 305 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4351Likes

post #9121 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaFlop View Post
Thank you Cleveland Plasma for delivering me a 85x900F!
The TV works great and I have not seen any issues in my few days with it. The picture is outstanding and the photos from my crappy cell phone do not do it justice. Dolby Vision via XBox One X through my Pioneer 901 receiver to the TV seems to work great at least on Netflix. I have no complaints about the brightness.
Is that size TV pretty stable with the legs toed in like that? I'm looking at the 85" and I'd also need to position the feet that way in order for it to fit on my stand.

I actually thought it would look really odd with the feet like that. Your pic doesn't look bad at all. Thanks for posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post
Is that size TV pretty stable with the legs toed in like that? I'm looking at the 85" and I'd also need to position the feet that way in order for it to fit on my stand.

I actually thought it would look really odd with the feet like that. Your pic doesn't look bad at all. Thanks for posting.
I’ve got my 75 setup like this and it is very stable. Can’t see the 85 being any different.
Swoosh830 likes this.
post #9123 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post

Yeah it is very stable. The TV weighs like 100lbs. I had to put some pads under the back of the feet to tilt the TV a bit so it is perfectly vertical. The stand has a natural backwards lean to it. Image quality is definitely best looking at it dead on.

I'm going to end up with a different stand or a free standing mount that fits under / behind my current console. I can't fit my matching center channel in my current console and the TV is in the way of placing it on top of the console. So I'm using a smaller center temporarily now.

I also have to get my Atmos speakers figured out and probably move the subs around a bit. We just moved to a different house so everything in my setup needs to be redone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9124 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 75
People with the 85", are you happy with it? I'm looking to upgrade my 4 year old 65" Sony, so I figured I'd go as big as possible. I have a movie room with 4 movie recliners, that are directly in front of the TV, so angled viewing wouldn't be an issue. I do see some people complaining about blooming? My movie room is pitch black, no windows.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #9125 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
People with the 85", are you happy with it? I'm looking to upgrade my 4 year old 65" Sony, so I figured I'd go as big as possible. I have a movie room with 4 movie recliners, that are directly in front of the TV, so angled viewing wouldn't be an issue. I do see some people complaining about blooming? My movie room is pitch black, no windows.

I think the picture quality is fantastic, but you are going to want some small amount of ambient light or frame lighting for the best possible experience. Especially when watching Dolby Vision or HDR content when the back light on the TV is maxed out. Sitting directly in front of the screen definitely helps.

I am blown away by the video quality in Stranger Things streaming in Dolby Vision from Netflix..
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
post #9126 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
This is a common issue for new ATV4K owners. DV shouldn't be enabled. Set the default at 4K SDR with matching frame rate and matching range both turned on. Try that and see if you're still having problems.

Curious... why wouldn’t I want to utilize either Dolby Vision or HDR on my ATV4k with matching frame rate and range? This sounds odd to me as I was always using 4K HDR with my 900e and now 4K DV with my 900f. I do wants the best picture quality possible, but I want to use all of the features of my tv as well when possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Display: Sony Bravia XBR65X900F
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR676
Media Players: Xbox One X & Apple TV 4K
post #9127 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just did a brand new living room setup with XBR-85X900F using Pioneer VSX-LX303 as a receiver.

If I try to set up 4K HDR Dolby Vision on my Apple TV 4K I get a blank screen and actually have to reboot Apple TV in order to get picture again.

TV, receiver, Apple TV all connected to the internet and updated with latest software version.

Also what is strange is that in TV settings I found HDR Mode setting and it only has Auto, HDR10 and HLG. No Dolby Vision.

I got the TV a week ago and immediately connected it to the internet and downloaded and installed the latest software. Same goes for the receiver which is listed as Dolby Vision Compatible (on the front panel no less).

Problem is I do not have another Dolby Vision source - worst case scenario maybe I can borrow an Xbox from a friend.
post #9128 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit2k6 View Post
Curious... why wouldn’t I want to utilize either Dolby Vision or HDR on my ATV4k with matching frame rate and range? This sounds odd to me as I was always using 4K HDR with my 900e and now 4K DV with my 900f. I do wants the best picture quality possible, but I want to use all of the features of my tv as well when possible.

You do want to use Dolby Vision. The problem is that if you enable Dolby Vision on the ATV it forces DV output for ALL content. Even SDR content. Using the 4K SDR setting establishes 4K SDR as the default output. Adding the matching frame rate/range setting to on serves to automatically trigger DV processing when DV content is being played. If the content is HDR10 only, it will output HDR10 accordingly. The matching frame serves to pass the native frame rate (eg. 24p as 24Hz, 60p as 60 Hz).

It's a bit of a convoluted fix that Apple implemented shortly after they added DV, which isn't very intuitive. Here's an article that explains it further:

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-tv-4...ything-in-hdr/
post #9129 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
You do want to use Dolby Vision. The problem is that if you enable Dolby Vision on the ATV it forces DV output for ALL content. Even SDR content. Using the 4K SDR setting establishes 4K SDR as the default output. Adding the matching frame rate/range setting to on serves to automatically trigger DV processing when DV content is being played. If the content is HDR10 only, it will output HDR10 accordingly. The matching frame serves to pass the native frame rate (eg. 24p as 24Hz, 60p as 60 Hz).

It's a bit of a convoluted fix that Apple implemented shortly after they added DV, which isn't very intuitive. Here's an article that explains it further:
Is there any way to confirm the content is being passed over? I've made this adjustment on my ATV but no longer seeing the Dolby Vision pop up when starting a DV movie (e.g., 2001 from iTunes). Is that expected?
post #9130 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock5 View Post
Is there any way to confirm the content is being passed over? I've made this adjustment on my ATV but no longer seeing the Dolby Vision pop up when starting a DV movie (e.g., 2001 from iTunes). Is that expected?
You should see the DV on screen popup.

Just to confirm, the ATV settings should be as follows. 4K SDR, Matching Frame Rate: On, Matching Range: On
post #9131 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 05:46 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Anyone else have issues with the Logitech Harmony hub and the television having problems powering on/off (I have the 85X900F)? I tried the IR and WiFi methods. It's hit or miss. The television has a clear line to the IR hub, and the wifi router is in the same room! I already tried removing/re-adding the television. Thoughts?
post #9132 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
You should see the DV on screen popup.

Just to confirm, the ATV settings should be as follows. 4K SDR, Matching Frame Rate: On, Matching Range: On
That's correct for my ATV settings. Anything else I might be missing? Dolby Vision worked when I had it set to 4K Dolby Vision format.

4K SDR 60hz
YCbCr
4:4:4
Range & Frame Rate Match
post #9133 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock5 View Post
That's correct for my ATV settings. Anything else I might be missing? Dolby Vision worked when I had it set to 4K Dolby Vision format.

4K SDR 60hz
YCbCr
4:4:4
Range & Frame Rate Match
It shouldn't be necessary but try a restart of the ATV. If that doesn't help, try a hard reset of both the ATV and the 900F at the same time (unplugging for 3 minutes)
post #9134 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well I bit the bullet - I have a new XBR-85X900F showing up tomorrow. I will set it up this weekend. It is replacing a 10 yr old Panny 65" Plasma. Hopefully it will be as good/better than the plasma. Seating distance will be around 11ft watching movies, 6ft watching sports on TV (I sit on the coffee table )

It will be paired with a Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR and Samsung UBD-K8500 4k BluRay player. TV, BluRay and AVR are hard wired to the router/internet with good bandwidth (300Mbps+).
I have a good set of 5.1 speakers attached to the AVR (Klipsch RF-7 fronts, RC-7 center and RS-7 rear/surround). Sub is a SVS PB-16 Ultra)

Plenty of good info on this thread, so thank you all for that, it will take time to peruse and digest.
I am excited - it has been 10 yrs since I got my last "good" TV. Sure, I have bought a few 32" - 40" for around the house - but this is the main one.

Woot...Hopefully it will hang with the Panny plasma....
post #9135 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaFlop View Post
I think the picture quality is fantastic, but you are going to want some small amount of ambient light or frame lighting for the best possible experience. Especially when watching Dolby Vision or HDR content when the back light on the TV is maxed out. Sitting directly in front of the screen definitely helps.

I am blown away by the video quality in Stranger Things streaming in Dolby Vision from Netflix..
Any issues with blooming?

post #9136 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstaffhd View Post
Well I bit the bullet - I have a new XBR-85X900F showing up tomorrow. I will set it up this weekend. It is replacing a 10 yr old Panny 65" Plasma. Hopefully it will be as good/better than the plasma. Seating distance will be around 11ft watching movies, 6ft watching sports on TV (I sit on the coffee table )

It will be paired with a Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR and Samsung UBD-K8500 4k BluRay player. TV, BluRay and AVR are hard wired to the router/internet with good bandwidth (300Mbps+).

I have a good set of 5.1 speakers attached to the AVR (Klipsch RF-7 fronts, RC-7 center and RS-7 rear/surround). Sub is a SVS PB-16 Ultra)

Plenty of good info on this thread, so thank you all for that, it will take time to peruse and digest.

I am excited - it has been 10 yrs since I got my last "good" TV. Sure, I have bought a few 32" - 40" for around the house - but this is the main one.

Woot...Hopefully it will hang with the Panny plasma....
What made you go with the Sony, over the other brand 85" TVs? I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Sony, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best TV in that price range.

post #9137 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Anyone else have issues with the Logitech Harmony hub and the television having problems powering on/off (I have the 85X900F)? I tried the IR and WiFi methods. It's hit or miss. The television has a clear line to the IR hub, and the wifi router is in the same room! I already tried removing/re-adding the television. Thoughts?
Are you on the latest firmware? I have a Harmony Elite and I was having issues with both turning on and off my 75X900F. Even the Help function wouldn’t work. I was on an early version of Oreo when this was happening. A week or so ago I manually updated to the latest software .6520 and haven’t had an issue since.
post #9138 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-tv-4...ything-in-hdr/

Okay cool, so Stranger Things for example no longer shows the Dolby Vision logo next to the 5.1 logo, only that it’s 4K Ultra HD. Is it still in fact sending a Dolby Vision signal?

post #9139 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
What made you go with the Sony, over the other brand 85" TVs? I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Sony, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best TV in that price range.

Hmm - long story - kinda. I have had my eye on the 900F for a while (12-15+ months). Was looking at 75". Then the Sammy QLEDs showed up and initially the reviews were all about QLED being nothing new/great (compared to OLED). This solidified my Sony choice. I had decided not to go OLED due to price/size value for money (IMO).

My main viewing will be movies and some sport. No video games, no PC. And, I like rtings.com reviews....

This left Sony/Sammy. I guess I never got back on the Sammy boat and focused on the Sony and then started debating the 75" vs 85" thing. I looked at my 65" and started to think this is not that big. 75 was big, 85 bigger. Go big or go home I decided. I also wanted a 4K TV - why? Not sure yet, my Panny 65 has been good to me.

At the end of the day, from a Sony perspective, I could not justify the $$ diff between the 950G and 900F I decided to go with the 900F 85". Real estate for the $$ sold me
post #9140 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit2k6 View Post
Okay cool, so Stranger Things for example no longer shows the Dolby Vision logo next to the 5.1 logo, only that it’s 4K Ultra HD. Is it still in fact sending a Dolby Vision signal?

You may have picked the worst example . Stranger Things season 1 wasn't in DV, try S2 or S3.

Aside from the initial DV popup, you can also check Action Menu>Picture Adjustments>Picture Mode and this will show if DV is being displayed.
nolimit2k6 likes this.
post #9141 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstaffhd View Post
Hmm - long story - kinda. I have had my eye on the 900F for a while (12-15+ months). Was looking at 75". Then the Sammy QLEDs showed up and initially the reviews were all about QLED being nothing new/great (compared to OLED). This solidified my Sony choice. I had decided not to go OLED due to price/size value for money (IMO).

My main viewing will be movies and some sport. No video games, no PC. And, I like rtings.com reviews....

This left Sony/Sammy. I guess I never got back on the Sammy boat and focused on the Sony and then started debating the 75" vs 85" thing. I looked at my 65" and started to think this is not that big. 75 was big, 85 bigger. Go big or go home I decided. I also wanted a 4K TV - why? Not sure yet, my Panny 65 has been good to me.

At the end of the day, from a Sony perspective, I could not justify the $$ diff between the 950G and 900F I decided to go with the 900F 85". Real estate for the $$ sold me
Thanks for the input. I eliminated the Samsung because I've read people saying the Samsung does a poor job with sports, as they don't do well with fast motion. I will be watching a lot of sports.

post #9142 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
It shouldn't be necessary but try a restart of the ATV. If that doesn't help, try a hard reset of both the ATV and the 900F at the same time (unplugging for 3 minutes)
Thanks, I ended up going the reset route. The issue seemed to be confined to iTunes Movies (Netflix DV worked as expected). I also noticed that the 4k HDR titles were listed as just HD when I paused > Menu button during play. A restart didn't fix it. But after a reset I'm now seeing them with DV.
post #9143 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
It’s a well known problem, several threads on the Logitech site. When it happens on my system I start up with the iPad App instead of the remote, that seems to fix it. Others delete the Sony, disconnect the network and set it up with just IR, that works for many as well. It seems to be the Sony wanting the Harmony to reverify network permissions, Logitech hasn’t been very responsive in fixing it, but it doesn’t happen too often. Not sure what triggers it, but from reading the threads it happens on older model Sony’s as well.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #9144 of 9719 Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
You may have picked the worst example . Stranger Things season 1 wasn't in DV, try S2 or S3.

Aside from the initial DV popup, you can also check Action Menu>Picture Adjustments>Picture Mode and this will show if DV is being displayed.

Made the changes and checked Bumblebee on iTunes movies and it made the switch as did Our Planet and ST. Thanks for the suggestion for the ATV

PlanetAVS likes this.

post #9145 of 9719 Old 07-19-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
How is this sets picture quality on standard definition dvds? Thanks for any info.
I'd say it's reasonably good, but it will depend on the disc compression and the picture fine tuning. Although the upscaling is great with 1080p content, the quality decreases proportionally as the resolution decreases. Also, as your eyes adjust to the higher resolution you start noticing flaws with low res content that you didn't notice before. From what I've been reading on various forums and reviews, until we have TVs equipped with effective AI upscalling that can really make any content looking like 4k, or 8k even, I don't think you'll find a 4k tv any better than this one with DVDs.

Last edited by newmymythos; 07-19-2019 at 07:32 AM.
post #9146 of 9719 Old 07-19-2019, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
How is this sets picture quality on standard definition dvds? Thanks for any info.
No TV is going to rock it, but standard DVD are a great place to start, they look good and very watchable Now pop on something like the Brady Bunch and not so much
post #9147 of 9719 Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
It’s a well known problem, several threads on the Logitech site. When it happens on my system I start up with the iPad App instead of the remote, that seems to fix it. Others delete the Sony, disconnect the network and set it up with just IR, that works for many as well. It seems to be the Sony wanting the Harmony to reverify network permissions, Logitech hasn’t been very responsive in fixing it, but it doesn’t happen too often. Not sure what triggers it, but from reading the threads it happens on older model Sony’s as well.
You can also experience startup/shutdown issues if you have CEC enabled along with using the Harmony Hub. The Hub will issue the shutdown commands but depending on the order they are processed by the various devices CEC might interfere. If you do not use ARC then Logitech recommends turning CEC off on all devices. If you use ARC then you are going to have CEC on and these kind of issue can happen.
bmcleod likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #9148 of 9719 Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
You can also experience startup/shutdown issues if you have CEC enabled along with using the Harmony Hub. The Hub will issue the shutdown commands but depending on the order they are processed by the various devices CEC might interfere. If you do not use ARC then Logitech recommends turning CEC off on all devices. If you use ARC then you are going to have CEC on and these kind of issue can happen.
Yeah, that might have been what fixed my issue with not turning on/off correctly. I upgraded my Denon x2400H to the x4400H and had everything setup the same, but was getting my x4400H turning on randomly. I disabled all HDMI control on the receiver and Bravia Sync on the TV, and also updated to the latest TV firmware. So, between the turning off CEC control and the latest firmware, I am having no issues I was having on the TV or receiver. Weird that I never had either problem with the x2400H receiver.
bmcleod likes this.
post #9149 of 9719 Old 07-19-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Any issues with blooming?

The blooming doesn't bother me / isn't very noticeable in my viewing. To be fair I don't watch very much in a blacked out room. Increasing the ambient light would counteract any blooming that is a problem for you. Also sitting dead center is important.
post #9150 of 9719 Old 07-19-2019, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Damn! I should of waited and got this television from Amazon. Ended up getting this from Best Buy and within 24 hours of owning it a dead or stuck pixel was on the screen. I have such bad luck with electronics, taking it back tomorrow and hope to get my money back so I can order it through Amazon I'm sure their return policy is better than Best Buys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page