2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 306 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4351Likes

post #9151 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi guys wondered if you could help. Just got this tv on a great deal. Only problem is it won’t update to latest software. The update is there and downloads no problem, but when it goes to the screen where it actually applies the update, it gets about a third of the way down then just hard resets the tv back to the main page again. When I check the download it’s still there. I tried a factory reset but same thing happened again. I now essentially have a brand new tv that can never have a software update.

I don’t have a pc so can’t do it via usb. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerBear View Post
Damn! I should of waited and got this television from Amazon. Ended up getting this from Best Buy and within 24 hours of owning it a dead or stuck pixel was on the screen. I have such bad luck with electronics, taking it back tomorrow and hope to get my money back so I can order it through Amazon I'm sure their return policy is better than Best Buys.
So you have one stuck pixel and Best Buy will let you return it for a full refund or exchange, how can Amazon better that return policy?

With Amazon you have to box up the TV, same as Best Buy, With Amazon you have to arrange shipping, with BB you take it back to the store or many BB's will pick it up if you had it delivered. Still struggling to see how Amazon's policy is better.

Not saying you shouldn't use Amazon, just wondering why you perceive Amazon as having a better return policy.
Glenee likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #9153 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seano_thegr81 View Post
Hi guys wondered if you could help. Just got this tv on a great deal. Only problem is it won’t update to latest software. The update is there and downloads no problem, but when it goes to the screen where it actually applies the update, it gets about a third of the way down then just hard resets the tv back to the main page again. When I check the download it’s still there. I tried a factory reset but same thing happened again. I now essentially have a brand new tv that can never have a software update.

I can only say that my TV stopped doing over the wire updates some time back as well. I’ve had to do the last couple from download / USB. My problem seems somewhat different however in that neither auto update nor manually checking for updates sees what’s on the net as newer, and always reports ‘you have the latest version’ or whatever the language is.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9154 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
People with the 85", are you happy with it? I'm looking to upgrade my 4 year old 65" Sony, so I figured I'd go as big as possible. I have a movie room with 4 movie recliners, that are directly in front of the TV, so angled viewing wouldn't be an issue. I do see some people complaining about blooming? My movie room is pitch black, no windows.
For the price point, the 85X900F is the best deal in a mid-tier product. There are some blooming complaints, but not to many. Of course you will get that to so degree with an FALD set....
post #9155 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
For the price point, the 85X900F is the best deal in a mid-tier product. There are some blooming complaints, but not to many. Of course you will get that to so degree with an FALD set....
I pretty much have it down to the Sony, or the Q70 Samsung. They are neck in neck from what I'm reading.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #9156 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
Quote:

Unfortunately one of the bugs that a recent firmware issue fixed is the problem you're having. Try a hard power reset (unplugging the TV for a few minutes) and then try to execute the update again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
I can only say that my TV stopped doing over the wire updates some time back as well. I’ve had to do the last couple from download / USB. My problem seems somewhat different however in that neither auto update nor manually checking for updates sees what’s on the net as newer, and always reports ‘you have the latest version’ or whatever the language is.
Network updates will only show up when it gets rolled out to your individual set. Can you do a download and install via USB?
post #9157 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 10:13 AM

I managed to get hold of a usb and laptop via my brother. Update worked perfectly. Just hope that now it will work over the air in future.

I had the X900E before this but upgraded to a bigger size X900F. Clearly Sony haven’t improved the software on these TVs. A shame because the picture quality is fantastic. Probably one of the buggiest operating systems I’ve ever used.
bmcleod likes this.
post #9158 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
So you have one stuck pixel and Best Buy will let you return it for a full refund or exchange, how can Amazon better that return policy?

With Amazon you have to box up the TV, same as Best Buy, With Amazon you have to arrange shipping, with BB you take it back to the store or many BB's will pick it up if you had it delivered. Still struggling to see how Amazon's policy is better.

Not saying you shouldn't use Amazon, just wondering why you perceive Amazon as having a better return policy.
Ordered a receiver from Amazon, about two weeks into using it one of the height speakers stopped working. Thankfully I had Amazon protection plan which was way cheaper than Best Buy's. Amazon sent me a link to send it back for a replacement. If I had bought the receiver at Best Buy I would of been SOL trying get a replacement because I didn't buy their overly expensive protection plan and I wouldn't of been able to get my money back because they only allow you to return it within two weeks.

With Amazon they gave me 30 days as compared to Best Buy's 14 day return. I just had better experience with returns with Amazon, the Best Buy guy was literally dragging the box across the floor trying to get it checked out.
post #9159 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I managed to get hold of a usb and laptop via my brother. Update worked perfectly. Just hope that now it will work over the air in future.

I had the X900E before this but upgraded to a bigger size X900F. Clearly Sony haven’t improved the software on these TVs. A shame because the picture quality is fantastic. Probably one of the buggiest operating systems I’ve ever used.
Android 8.0 is much faster than the 7.0 that the 900E was (is?) on. Search HDTVTest on Youtube for tips on how to speed up the Android TV interface, it works well.
post #9160 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Network updates will only show up when it gets rolled out to your individual set. Can you do a download and install via USB?
As I mentioned I do the updates via USB, I’m aware of the schedule and my TV won’t update, we’ve discussed this before. I won’t be able to test it again until the next update (I did a factory reset after that).

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #9161 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
As I mentioned I do the updates via USB, I’m aware of the schedule and my TV won’t update, we’ve discussed this before. I won’t be able to test it again until the next update (I did a factory reset after that).
Gotcha, my bad. Back to reading comprehension class
bmcleod likes this.
post #9162 of 9719 Old 07-20-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Where do we find a list of software versions for the 900F? I would like to check my version when it arrives on Monday.

Jack
post #9163 of 9719 Old 07-21-2019, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Where do we find a list of software versions for the 900F? I would like to check my version when it arrives on Monday.
Press the help button on the remote.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #9164 of 9719 Old 07-21-2019, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To add to KRUZNBY's reply above, https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...ts?query=x900f links all the X900F model numbers. Click on "Download" link for your model number and it should list the current firmware near the top. The firmware file should be the same regardless of the size of the TV.

General information about the Oreo update is available at https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00203663
post #9165 of 9719 Old 07-21-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
***Exceptional OTA picture for the golf tournament “The Open’” formerly known as the “The British Open” across the pond. You can see the blades of grass and rough terrain. I’d have to take at least two dozen golf balls with me and then re-stock at the turn.
Panson likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #9166 of 9719 Old 07-21-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Exceptional OTA picture for the golf tournament “The Open’” formerly known as the “The British Open” across the pond. You can see the blades of grass and rough terrain. I’d have to take at least two dozen golf balls with me and then re-stock at the turn.
I played Portrush during a trip to Ireland in 1998. It was my favorite from a list of Lahinch, Ballybunion, Old Head, and Royal County Down. The 16th hole is a beast.
Ricoflashback likes this.

Jack
post #9167 of 9719 Old 07-21-2019, 11:49 AM

Hi guys another question. I have a 2 channel soundbase. Whenever I watch Netflix I have to change the audio to English original from English 5.1 otherwise I get no sound. I rented a movie off google play today and see no way of changing it on there so having to watch with my tv speakers (which sucks!).

Clearly the TV seems to think my speakers are 5.1, is there any way to change it so it knows it’s only 2 channel?
post #9168 of 9719 Old 07-21-2019, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Turn Off Optical Audio Output?

Is there anyway to turn off the optical audio output? Seems it is always outputting a signal regardless if Speakers is set to TV Speakers or Audio System.

I’m asking as I have to manually mute my Sonos Beam when I just want the audio to come through the TV speakers.
post #9169 of 9719 Old 07-22-2019, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Not sure if this is related or coincidence, but I did the latest update several days ago when it popped up on the TV. Since then, I have noticed an issue where the picture freezes momentarily while the audio keeps playing. There's no lip sync errors, just a quick pause and then it's moving again but exactly where it should be with the audio. For source, I am streaming from my ShieldTV through my Onkyo TXNR-717. Everything is connected via gigabit LAN.

I was watching a bunch of Amazon Prime app and thought that it may have been the service but it also did it on the YouTube app as well. I have not noticed it yet on my PS4 but need to do some more checking. Haven't tried the internal apps yet.

Anyone else having issues since the update?
post #9170 of 9719 Old 07-22-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw8755 View Post
Not sure if this is related or coincidence, but I did the latest update several days ago when it popped up on the TV. Since then, I have noticed an issue where the picture freezes momentarily while the audio keeps playing. There's no lip sync errors, just a quick pause and then it's moving again but exactly where it should be with the audio. For source, I am streaming from my ShieldTV through my Onkyo TXNR-717. Everything is connected via gigabit LAN.

I was watching a bunch of Amazon Prime app and thought that it may have been the service but it also did it on the YouTube app as well. I have not noticed it yet on my PS4 but need to do some more checking. Haven't tried the internal apps yet.

Anyone else having issues since the update?
Try a power reset of the 900F (unplugging it for 3 minutes). That will often clear up some issues after a firmware update
post #9171 of 9719 Old 07-22-2019, 02:14 PM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjschwart View Post
Is there anyway to turn off the optical audio output? Seems it is always outputting a signal regardless if Speakers is set to TV Speakers or Audio System.

I’m asking as I have to manually mute my Sonos Beam when I just want the audio to come through the TV speakers.

I have my TV to output no PCM signal when speakers are set to TV. In Sound Adjustment->Advanced Settings->Digital Audio Output Volume set to "Min". Anything above Min will output a signal starting at extremely low volume to max. When I switch the speakers to audio system, then the optical out bitstreams to my receiver.

This helps me remember to switch speakers settings to audio system when I hear nothing on my receiver when playing DTS or Dolby video/music files.

The downside is any file, whether from USB, local NAS, or apps like Prime or Vudu, that have PCM audio (e.g.mp3, flac, old Mae West movies) will not be heard even when speakers are set to audio system. So it comes down to what do you do mostly with your TV and audio system when using optical out. I'm mostly modern movies (DD 2.0 and above) via NAS and apps. If the video is PCM then most likely the TV speakers will do. For audio files I play through a different source over HDMI.

One last thing, I do not use ARC, too many issues that I gave up, and it doesn't give you any substantial benefit over optical out, other than 1 less cable. So I do not know how my setting above will affect that.
post #9172 of 9719 Old 07-22-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Damn! I should of waited and got this television from Amazon. Ended up getting this from Best Buy and within 24 hours of owning it a dead or stuck pixel was on the screen. I have such bad luck with electronics, taking it back tomorrow and hope to get my money back so I can order it through Amazon I'm sure their return policy is better than Best Buys.

One stuck pixel. Do use a magnifying glass? I seem to remember that the screen can be massaged to get it going again. However, I could be out to lunch.
post #9173 of 9719 Old 07-22-2019, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently update the firmware, and find out the build-in player is very stutter when play back a Remux 4K movie (about 50-60GB on a USB 3.0 flash drive). The old version play back the same movie much smoother. I use the VLC player, and it it the same. I use the Sony BUP-X700 4K player to play it back, and it is no problem. However, when I use the Sony X700 player, it does not dosplay the subtitle on the mkv format movie.

What player that you use to play back the remux mkv movies? Any advice?
post #9174 of 9719 Old 07-22-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another question on my install. I have tried to hook up my hardwire ethernet to the TV but it doesn't seem to want to do it. The wireless works fine but I like the comfort of hardwire. What is the problem? I had this with another TV also.

Also, is there a way to switch between TV speakers and my AVR without calling up the speaker menu?

Jack
post #9175 of 9719 Old 07-23-2019, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
You do want to use Dolby Vision. The problem is that if you enable Dolby Vision on the ATV it forces DV output for ALL content. Even SDR content. Using the 4K SDR setting establishes 4K SDR as the default output. Adding the matching frame rate/range setting to on serves to automatically trigger DV processing when DV content is being played. If the content is HDR10 only, it will output HDR10 accordingly. The matching frame serves to pass the native frame rate (eg. 24p as 24Hz, 60p as 60 Hz).

It's a bit of a convoluted fix that Apple implemented shortly after they added DV, which isn't very intuitive. Here's an article that explains it further:

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-tv-4...ything-in-hdr/
Should everyone be using this setting?? OR, is this setting only for some people who use Apple products??

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
post #9176 of 9719 Old 07-23-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton View Post
Should everyone be using this setting?? OR, is this setting only for some people who use Apple products??
This is for people with Apple TV 4K. It's an Apple TV setting.
post #9177 of 9719 Old 07-23-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
This is for people with Apple TV 4K. It's an Apple TV setting.
While we’re on the topic, a new tvOS came out yesterday (12.4), mine updated without issue, haven’t really checked for any differences.

post #9178 of 9719 Old 07-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I have tried the built In tv app. Movies in 4K hdr are significantly dimmer than SD movies, 1080p content is much better on this tv. I am really wondering why did I buy this tv. I could get 1080p set for fraction of cost. It really feel like bad joke, I thought it would be fixed with FW Sony XBR950 has setting for hdr bright and hdr dark 900f has hdr dark on both hdr and DV.
I am beating a dead horse here. I would not recommend this set over 950 model.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #9179 of 9719 Old 07-23-2019, 11:09 AM

^^^Wow! I was going to post this anyway, but I just passed a year with my 85x900F and I’ve never been happier with the picture and general function of a television. It was expensive, though not as much as my first ‘HDTV’, but the enjoyment my I’ve had over the last year has totally justified the cost — my wife thinks it’s great as well!

I suppose it’s time for another shout out to Chris at Cleveland Plasma for his good service and follow up.

Last edited by bmcleod; 07-24-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #9180 of 9719 Old 07-23-2019, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
I have tried the built In tv app. Movies in 4K hdr are significantly dimmer than SD movies, 1080p content is much better on this tv. I am really wondering why did I buy this tv. I could get 1080p set for fraction of cost. It really feel like bad joke, I thought it would be fixed with FW Sony XBR950 has setting for hdr bright and hdr dark 900f has hdr dark on both hdr and DV.
I am beating a dead horse here. I would not recommend this set over 950 model.

I do not recommend using the built in apps for HDR movies/shows on this TV. I do find that Dolby Vision is a bit dark on this TV. I use my Xbox One X and I am happy with the picture. I disable Dolby Vision on my Xbox because I find it a bit dark. HDR10 looks good and I have no problem with the brightness. Some HDR movies can be very bright in fact, such as Aquaman. For 1080p content, such as Blu-ray movies, I find that this TV helps make them look their best. As others have noted though, if you watch SDR content at a bright setting, HDR content will appear dimmer to you. That's not just with this TV either, a lot of HDR TVs dim the picture a bit when viewing HDR content.

Overall, Ultra HD Blu-ray is my preferred format for movies, but I find streaming is good using an external player.
JBran24 likes this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page