2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 310 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4874Likes

post #9271 of 11696 Old 08-01-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawaji View Post
If aesthetics allow it, can you set your TV at an angle on the stand/mount so it is facing you when you are in your favorite viewing position? That is what I have done.
Unfortunately - no. Its gotta be wall mounted and would weird if not facing straight ahead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 11696 Old 08-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ghtcrawl3r View Post
I'll be around 12 feet away from the TV. Would that make a difference?
At 12 feet you should be fine. I sit in a similar position 8ft from my 75" and don't have any issues with off-angle viewing.

Of course the only way to be sure is by mounting the TV and watching same.
n1ghtcrawl3r likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #9273 of 11696 Old 08-01-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixDragones View Post

Have you tried to factory reset? A lot of issues with the Oreo update can be fixed by doing that. Also If you set Xtended Dynamic Range to Medium/High in non HDR contents, HDR games will look more dimmed since a lot of bright detail is not artificially highlighted.

Is factory reset the same as the initial setup option? This update has seriously screwed up my tv. Now in the Netflix App when I go to a dolby vision show it just shows standard in the display setting, it doesn't go to Dolby Vision. When I go to the Netflix App on the Xbox One S and go to the same show it will show Dolby Vision in display but the color it a brownish grey. Here is a pic .... The darker menu one is through Xbox One and the other one is through the app.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	766.6 KB
ID:	2597232   Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	784.8 KB
ID:	2597236   Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	898.8 KB
ID:	2597240  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9274 of 11696 Old 08-01-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2319
Quote:
Unfortunately - no. Its gotta be wall mounted and would weird if not facing straight ahead
You can get a swivel wallmount and then move it back in place when not watching. Or you could just live with the PQ as is, and move to a central seating position for critical viewing.

Or buy the 85 950G for at a higher price and greyer blacks
post #9275 of 11696 Old 08-01-2019, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by persuazion View Post
Is factory reset the same as the initial setup option? This update has seriously screwed up my tv. Now in the Netflix App when I go to a dolby vision show it just shows standard in the display setting, it doesn't go to Dolby Vision. When I go to the Netflix App on the Xbox One S and go to the same show it will show Dolby Vision in display but the color it a brownish grey. Here is a pic .... The darker menu one is through Xbox One and the other one is through the app.
Initial setup option doesn't actually remove or reset anything. It just brings initial settings up for you to change them again. You should go to Settings/Storage & Reset/Factory Data Reset to do a factory reset. It will remove all of your custom android apps and settings so just take note of your settings before doing this.
post #9276 of 11696 Old 08-01-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2319
Quote:
Quote:
Initial setup option doesn't actually remove or reset anything. It just brings initial settings up for you to change them again. You should go to Settings/Storage & Reset/Factory Data Reset to do a factory reset. It will remove all of your custom android apps and settings so just take note of your settings before doing this.
Before you try the factory reset, try a hard power reset first which is unplugging the tv for 3 minutes. Sometimes that can fix issues and is a lot less disruptive than a factory reset.

Regarding your Xbox Netflix issue, do you have Dolby Vision turned on by any chance? The Xbox Netflix app is known for forcing Dolby Vision on at all times, which might explain the greyed out menus you are seeing.
post #9277 of 11696 Old 08-01-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm strongly considering getting the 85 inch x900F, and was hoping someone would be able to answer the 'last' question I have. How is the TV when viewed off-center? I have a sectional and my favorite viewing position puts me at the straight on the left edge of the TV. Would the PQ be significantly lower from such a position? Specially content on the right edge of the television which would be an a great angle given that this is an 85 incher.

Thanks in advance!
I've had my 85"r for about two weeks now. The off angle so called degradation is way overblown. I find little difference about six feet off center. That's the third section over, the corner, on my L shaped sectional.

Jack
post #9278 of 11696 Old 08-02-2019, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I've had my 85"r for about two weeks now. The off angle so called degradation is way overblown. I find little difference about six feet off center. That's the third section over, the corner, on my L shaped sectional.
same here. 85in tv and my sectional is 12 feet back. 6 feet off center has no noticeable effect.

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
post #9279 of 11696 Old 08-02-2019, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7318 Post(s)
Liked: 7346
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenzy View Post
Decided to pull the trigger and get the 900F. I've always bought Samsung TVs, and was pretty much set on grabbing an open box Q8FN, but was at best buy this weekend and got to compare them side by side which is a rare opportunity. They were both open box, so they were moved from the main display area to a side isle. I was chilling with the best buy sales guy nerding out on tv tech, not even planning on buying, and it was a slow day so we ended up doing a quick calibration of both, and syncing up a 4k YouTube demo. We spent 30+ minutes tweaking them and comparing. He loved it because he has a 900F and has always wanted to do a direct comparison, but it's not something he can do without there being a customer there. I was blown away. For the first time I truly saw how oversaturated the Samsung was, completely crushing details out of intense coloured images. Motion was a big win for the Sony as well. I noticed a lot of little artifacts on the Samsung in panning shots that had text or other linear shapes/details, whereas the Sony was totally clear. I ended up placing the order right there for an open box with 4yr full replacement warranty. It just arrived today, I may test it out before packing it back up as I'm moving to a new condo next weekend, but super excited!
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm strongly considering getting the 85 inch x900F, and was hoping someone would be able to answer the 'last' question I have. How is the TV when viewed off-center? I have a sectional and my favorite viewing position puts me at the straight on the left edge of the TV. Would the PQ be significantly lower from such a position? Specially content on the right edge of the television which would be an a great angle given that this is an 85 incher.

Thanks in advance!
That is not far off center at all. I would say you would be fine, the word is Sony has no more 85X900F in their stock, so if you want one you might want to snag one sooner then later.
Panson likes this.
post #9280 of 11696 Old 08-02-2019, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That is not far off center at all. I would say you would be fine, the word is Sony has no more 85X900F in their stock, so if you want one you might want to snag one sooner then later.
Are you sure about that? I just talked with Crutchfield and they still said sony was manufacturing the X900F. The 950G is a model up so the 900F will stick around for a little bit.
post #9281 of 11696 Old 08-02-2019, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj21 View Post
Are you sure about that? I just talked with Crutchfield and they still said sony was manufacturing the X900F. The 950G is a model up so the 900F will stick around for a little bit.
I think Sony say that they only continue manufacturing the 55" and 50" model only. This is to not compete with 65" and bigger model from 950G.
post #9282 of 11696 Old 08-03-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I got the 75" 900F yesterday and did a quick setup last night. Went through a few movies, etc. on Amazon and Netflix just checking it out. While the picture is better than my 65" 810C and definitely bigger, I don't really see where Dolby Vision is anything special. Am I missing something? I didn't tweak any settings at all yet and the screen looks very clean, no DSE or anything like that. I'll play around with it a little more and see what I can find, but I may return it for something a little less expensive, even though I got a GREAT price on it. And I do like Sony and even Android TV which most people seem to dislike very much. One thing I do like about it is the tv sound itself. I think it sounds as good or better than my Bose Solo except for the bass. the Solo has more bass but that's it. the dialog is much clearer through the tv speakers. Any comments appreciated. And by the way, I don't game at all and I'm 71 so my vision isn't the greatest in the world. LOL

Last edited by cassnlogan; 08-03-2019 at 10:58 AM.
post #9283 of 11696 Old 08-03-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowers11 View Post
No washed out colors for me either, in fact I think the colors on this TV look excellent. I've tested multiple Blu Rays (movies and TV shows) and multiple TV shows on Amazon Prime Video.
Anything over color = 65 is so saturated that it looks cartoony. Here are the settings I'm using right now if you want to try them:

Brightness 9
Color 60
Contrast 85
Sharpness 58
Local dimming, xtend medium
Color temperature cool
Reality creation, noise reduction, smooth gradation off
Motion: smooth 1, clear 0
Everything else default

I'm also in the process of testing clear 1. The best compensation for clear 1 appears to be brightness +4, color +2. So if you want to use clear 1 with my settings above you would make brightness 13 and color 62.

I find if you decrease brightness, contrast, or xtend too much you need to increase color saturation to compensate. Same if you increase clearness since it basically has the same effect as decreasing brightness.

Let me know if this helps.
Tried these settings in Cinema Pro, and they're not bad at all. I did bump the brightness up to 23. I also moved black adjust to high as someone else suggested and picture is really popping now!

Last edited by cassnlogan; 08-03-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #9284 of 11696 Old 08-03-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassnlogan View Post
I got the 75" 900F yesterday and did a quick setup last night. Went through a few movies, etc. on Amazon and Netflix just checking it out. While the picture is better than my 65" 810C and definitely bigger, I don't really see where Dolby Vision is anything special. Am I missing something? I didn't tweak any settings at all yet and the screen looks very clean, no DSE or anything like that. I'll play around with it a little more and see what I can find, but I may return it for something a little less expensive, even though I got a GREAT price on it. And I do like Sony and even Android TV which most people seem to dislike very much. One thing I do like about it is the tv sound itself. I think it sounds as good or better than my Bose Solo except for the bass. the Solo has more bass but that's it. the dialog is much clearer through the tv speakers. Any comments appreciated. And by the way, I don't game at all and I'm 71 so my vision isn't the greatest in the world. LOL
If you got a great screen, suggest counting your blessings and enjoy.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #9285 of 11696 Old 08-03-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Before you try the factory reset, try a hard power reset first which is unplugging the tv for 3 minutes. Sometimes that can fix issues and is a lot less disruptive than a factory reset.

Regarding your Xbox Netflix issue, do you have Dolby Vision turned on by any chance? The Xbox Netflix app is known for forcing Dolby Vision on at all times, which might explain the greyed out menus you are seeing.
Yes I do have Dolby vision on. I thought that was supposed to make it look better, I’ll try to turn it off and see what it does.
post #9286 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
If the increase in size didn’t impress you enough to keep the 900F, then the smaller details like Dolby Vision (only available on some content), aren’t likely to push you over. From my previous set; Size, HDR/DV/Nits, 4K, WCG, & better blacks (roughly in that order) made the 900F an immediate hit with my wife and I (and we came from a 73”.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #9287 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 601
How often are you guys changing your remote batteries? Because mine seems to be getting more and more frequent. I just changed them after two weeks and it was only about a month before that. Its getting ridiculous and the remote doesn't even get that much use.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #9288 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I am watching a baseball game on my 85" 900F and it seems as if the long shots are not as clear as they should be. When they show closeups of the batter, pitcher, etc. it looks fine. I think there are about 3 or 4 settings that might influence this but it's somewhat confusing to me. Can anyone advise me on the right settings to try to alleviate this problem? I'm still within my return period and it's almost enough of an issue to make me think of alternatives.

Jack
post #9289 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
If the increase in size didn’t impress you enough to keep the 900F, then the smaller details like Dolby Vision (only available on some content), aren’t likely to push you over. From my previous set; Size, HDR/DV/Nits, 4K, WCG, & better blacks (roughly in that order) made the 900F an immediate hit with my wife and I (and we came from a 73”.
Oh the increase in size is definitely a keeper. So even if I don't keep the 900F, I will still get a 75". I'm just wondering if I would find another 75" with the quality and features of the 900F for less than what I paid for the 900F (less than $1800), I would have to say I doubt it. And after a couple of days with it, messing with the settings, etc, I have to say it is definitely growing on me. Black levels are fantastic, viewing angles aren't as bad as I was led to believe and I don't really have to worry about that anyway, and I've found some settings that really make the colors pop. And the sound on this tv is the best I've ever heard on a tv, except for the 950G, which would have cost about $800 more. Everything in Dolby Vision just seems darker, but that seems to be a prevailing opinion around here. But like I said, it's growing on me and will probably be a keeper.
CaptinCrunch and bmcleod like this.
post #9290 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 11:25 AM

I've also noticed, especially today in a bright room, the everything in DV seems to have an almost sepia tone. I tried making some settings adjustments, but they didn't help a lot. Is this normal for DV in a bright room or are there some settings I need to change to make it better? I'm new to DV so any help appreciated.
post #9291 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 3140
Quote:
I've also noticed, especially today in a bright room, the everything in DV seems to have an almost sepia tone. I tried making some settings adjustments, but they didn't help a lot. Is this normal for DV in a bright room or are there some settings I need to change to make it better? I'm new to DV so any help appreciated.
Dark Dolby Vision related link.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/ver...2192978/page-3

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #9292 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7318 Post(s)
Liked: 7346
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj21 View Post
That's what I was told, no one but Sony knows for sure. I would not bet my life on it, as I have heard that before. However there would be no point to have the 900F and 950G out all year when they are so close in comparison.
post #9293 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I noticed that after the update DV is quite darker then before. Watched an episode of Jessica Jones on the Netflix app and the black clothes and hair were just one solid color ... no details at all. Also they had a fight in a dark room and I couldn’t see anything that was happening. Is this a known issue with Oreo? I remember it being a tad dark before, but nothing like it is now.
post #9294 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Oh the increase in size is definitely a keeper. So even if I don't keep the 900F, I will still get a 75". I'm just wondering if I would find another 75" with the quality and features of the 900F for less than what I paid for the 900F (less than $1800), I would have to say I doubt it. And after a couple of days with it, messing with the settings, etc, I have to say it is definitely growing on me. Black levels are fantastic, viewing angles aren't as bad as I was led to believe and I don't really have to worry about that anyway, and I've found some settings that really make the colors pop. And the sound on this tv is the best I've ever heard on a tv, except for the 950G, which would have cost about $800 more. Everything in Dolby Vision just seems darker, but that seems to be a prevailing opinion around here. But like I said, it's growing on me and will probably be a keeper.
For what you paid you are not going to find any 75" with nearly as good a picture as your 900F, especially since you mentioned no DSE at all. That's the best price I've seen for a 75" 900F.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #9295 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After the latest update a few weeks ago, every now and then it does not send sound thru ARC, but only for apps. The sounds that it makes moving around in the main menu comes through the audio system, but not when I watch youtube TV, netflix, or even Google Play movies from the library. Only way to fix it is by turning of the receiver and turning it back on. Or sometimes turning off everything and turning it back on.

It is running PKG6.6520.0252NAA. Wondering if downloading and installing the update again manually will help? anyone know of a way to go back to the previous version, or what it was and where I can download it from?

Thanks
post #9296 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurbhatia View Post
After the latest update a few weeks ago, every now and then it does not send sound thru ARC, but only for apps. The sounds that it makes moving around in the main menu comes through the audio system, but not when I watch youtube TV, netflix, or even Google Play movies from the library. Only way to fix it is by turning of the receiver and turning it back on. Or sometimes turning off everything and turning it back on.

It is running PKG6.6520.0252NAA. Wondering if downloading and installing the update again manually will help? anyone know of a way to go back to the previous version, or what it was and where I can download it from?

Thanks
According to the Sony Support site, you cannot go backwards in Firmware, but I’ve never tried, or heard of anyone who’s done it successfully. If they actually did break something they’ll probably fix it (eventually), but with ARC you’re never quite sure where the problem lies.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #9297 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 06:38 PM

Ok so the strangest thing has happened with Netflix and DV. After changing some settings and not having much luck, I turned the tv off and went to church. When I returned after a couple of hours, all of a sudden the colors are great in DV and the picture has some pop to it. I don't know if it's because it's later in the day and the room wasn't AS bright but it's just like watching HDR or anything else. These are the settings I used if anyone wants to try them. While watching something in DV under advance settings,
Brightness-24
Contrast-Max
Gamma-0
Black Level-50
Black Adjustment-High
Advanced Contrast-High
Local Dimming-High
X Dynamic Range-High
Color-85
Hue-0
Color Temp-Neutral
Live Color-High
Sharpness-Max
Reality Creation-Auto
Digital Noise Reduction-High
Smooth Gradation-High
Motionflow-True Cinema
Cinemotion-High
Colorspace-Auto

I don't know how many of these settings I actually changed, but this is what I ended up with.
uncledd likes this.
post #9298 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just curious if this has happen to anyone else? Went to bed with TV working fine, woke up and the tv wouldn't turn on. I unplugged and plugged it back in and it came on. Is my tv crapping out???
uncledd likes this.
post #9299 of 11696 Old 08-04-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charden37 View Post
Just curious if this has happen to anyone else? Went to bed with TV working fine, woke up and the tv wouldn't turn on. I unplugged and plugged it back in and it came on. Is my tv crapping out???
I've had that happen with my Sony 810C a few times but it's still going strong.
uncledd likes this.
post #9300 of 11696 Old 08-05-2019, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by charden37 View Post
Yes, happened to me once or twice. I'd imagine it freezes while in minimal power state. It usually freezes when the TV is on, but I guess Android has some core processes running even when TV is off; so it can freeze even when the TV is off
bmcleod likes this.

PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page