2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 315 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4670Likes

post #9421 of 10919 Old 08-29-2019, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
Who do we bug about getting filmmaker mode on Sony TV's?
If you are reading this thread then you don't need it anyway. There are already Cinema modes on almost every TV. If that's not enough you can follow any of the picture setting guides here.

Filmmaker mode is just about unifying it under a single name across all brands. And this is mostly intended for newbies. The settings that it will change are already available to you.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9422 of 10919 Old 08-29-2019, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
If you are reading this thread then you don't need it anyway. There are already Cinema modes on almost every TV. If that's not enough you can follow any of the picture setting guides here.

Filmmaker mode is just about unifying it under a single name across all brands. And this is mostly intended for newbies. The settings that it will change are already available to you.
Just because we here don't need it doesn't mean it isn't a good idea for it to be included on Sony TV sets. And hell, if I could just toggle to a single picture mode without having to dive into every menu and make sure all processing is turned off, that's actually pretty dang convenient.
post #9423 of 10919 Old 08-29-2019, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7056
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
Also,slightly off topic...the Bluray player's giving a warning that a special cable is required to enjoy the full benefit of 4K. I bought a cable that says "4K" and "1440P" on the package. Did I buy the correct cable?
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post

As far as cables go get “Premium Certified”, look for this certificate on the box (I use Monoprice Ultra Thin). The 900F’s resolution is 2160p.
Here ya go. Thats the badge to look for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	2608768  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9424 of 10919 Old 08-29-2019, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For all those complaining about d vision. 4k vision movies and most cable/streaming content is gorgeous as far as I'm concerned. Clearly you are all used to overexposed pictures. Like watching golf at dusk. It's really dark on the course but you wouldn't know it until the announcer says so.
When you walk into a low lit room every detail is not lit or seen. Same with sitting around a campfire. I can't see anything outside of the fire glow. I want my tv to reflect reality. If you want a bright evenly lit picture, go hd crank the brightness, contrast, and whatever else and have at it. If fake is what you want.
And another thing. I've read the same people complain about this for months. If it's misery to you sell it and spend 2,3 times the money to get what you deem is acceptable.
Rich
Now defend your complaining. Have at it.
chiptouz likes this.
post #9425 of 10919 Old 08-29-2019, 05:29 PM

For all those complaining about d vision. 4k vision movies and most cable/streaming content is gorgeous as far as I'm concerned. Clearly you are all used to overexposed pictures. Like watching golf at dusk. It's really dark on the course but you wouldn't know it until the announcer says so.
When you walk into a low lit room every detail is not lit or seen. Same with sitting around a campfire. I can't see anything outside of the fire glow. I want my tv to reflect reality. If you want a bright evenly lit picture, go hd crank the brightness, contrast, and whatever else and have at it. If fake is what you want.
And another thing. I've read the same people complain about this for months. If it's misery to you sell it and spend 2,3 times the money to get what you deem is acceptable.
Rich

post #9426 of 10919 Old 08-29-2019, 05:29 PM

Rich.

post #9427 of 10919 Old 08-29-2019, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Here's a question for you ... 4K/HDR is just o.k. on my Sony 900F & Sony 900E TV's. Dolby Vision on my 900F is an absolute joke. A total fraud IMHO.

But - some 4K/HDR "You Tube" clips are absolutely out of this world. Very bright, very colorful, very sharp with exceptional, "nats-ass" detail. Is bandwidth the main factor on why there are no movies or any content, for that matter, that I've seen that compares to a properly 4K captured and mastered video on "You Tube?"
I have gigabit internet speed, band width is not issue. Not sure why Sony address it in 950G sets as hdr bright and hdr low light for night

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #9428 of 10919 Old 08-29-2019, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 63 View Post
Rich.

I am not talking about hdr to be bright in night scenes, if you turn hdr off on this tv while watching hdr content everything gets more brighter, that is why SDR is much better looking on this set, I have three other tv to compare to, Sony implementation of HDR on 900F is joke. People who bought the set for bright rooms will be disappointed. I am using cinema pro mode and cinema mode on all TVs. I always had calibrated TVs in the past so I am not a viewer watching in torch mode. With cinema setting LG oled and Samsung do a better job in hdr. Oled peak brightness is half oof Sony but hdr is superb with good details. I am not alone most of people in this forum have similar opinion about DV
900F has corvette engine and drive like Chevy volt.

post #9429 of 10919 Old 08-30-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi folks. I’m going to finally do the Oreo upgrade this weekend now that Sony seems to have fixed the issues surrounding the initial release. Is there anything that I should still be concerned about? I have all of my settings documented on a spreadsheet and plan on going through all of them after the update to make sure they are still set where I had them. Thanks in advance.
post #9430 of 10919 Old 08-30-2019, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
Hi folks. I’m going to finally do the Oreo upgrade this weekend now that Sony seems to have fixed the issues surrounding the initial release. Is there anything that I should still be concerned about? I have all of my settings documented on a spreadsheet and plan on going through all of them after the update to make sure they are still set where I had them. Thanks in advance.
I’m new to this Tv but does the Oreo upgrade pertain to the Android system on the tv? Or does it update picture quality and other bugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SONY XBR-65X900F - Sony UDP X800- PSA 210T L/R -PHANTOM CENTER -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR6013 - APPLE TV -DIRECTV HR44 -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG UN466500- ENERGY RC50'S L/R-ENERGY RC LCR- DENON-AVR-3311CI- PS3 -APPLETV- MINI GENIE
post #9431 of 10919 Old 08-30-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
I am not talking about hdr to be bright in night scenes, if you turn hdr off on this tv while watching hdr content everything gets more brighter, that is why SDR is much better looking on this set, I have three other tv to compare to, Sony implementation of HDR on 900F is joke. People who bought the set for bright rooms will be disappointed. I am using cinema pro mode and cinema mode on all TVs. I always had calibrated TVs in the past so I am not a viewer watching in torch mode. With cinema setting LG oled and Samsung do a better job in hdr. Oled peak brightness is half oof Sony but hdr is superb with good details. I am not alone most of people in this forum have similar opinion about DV
I would suggest you solve your hdr /DV problem by having your set calibrated. I suspect a good calibration will be able to brighten up the image without losing any accuracy.

Jack
post #9432 of 10919 Old 08-30-2019, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I would suggest you solve your hdr /DV problem by having your set calibrated. I suspect a good calibration will be able to brighten up the image without losing any accuracy.
calibration will not solve it, Tv is bright in SDR it is in DV and HDR implementation which in Software. SONY responded to this issue in 950G but no HDR bright and HDR dark in 900F. this is not my issue whole thread have many posts for similar issue.

I am OK when i watch at night but during day i switch to standard mode some times.

post #9433 of 10919 Old 08-30-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
I'm curious to know as well. I have this similar condition on the lower edge of the TV, 2 on the left and 2 on the right.

I didn't notice it right away, but after finding it I decided to live with it after the hassle I went through with my 75X900E getting replaced with a 75X900F which was damaged in shipment and had to get replaced again with another 75X900F that now has this issue.

I really only notice it on a full screen image with a light colored background and looking at the TV from the side. Letterboxed stuff isn't an issue at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
I wouldn’t accept it.

After you responded, I put a claim in with my credit card company which gives 2 years extended warranty beyond the factory warranty. Had to get a repair estimate and they stated it needed a new screen and none available, and the warranty company just came back stating my claim was approved for my original purchase price, and I guess I get to keep this TV.

I will upgrade eventually and move this TV to another room, but it is fine for now.

Thanks for the motivation to pursue this!
post #9434 of 10919 Old 08-30-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post
I’m new to this Tv but does the Oreo upgrade pertain to the Android system on the tv? Or does it update picture quality and other bugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To clarify, Oreo is a version of Android. It's not the Sony firmware per se. Sony updated to Oreo several firmwares ago. The only outstanding issue that I'm aware of is the picture mode on Universal remotes issue that some people have identified. Most of the major issues (ARC) should have been resolved by now.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 08-30-2019 at 06:07 PM.
post #9435 of 10919 Old 08-30-2019, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
calibration will not solve it, Tv is bright in SDR it is in DV and HDR implementation which in Software. SONY responded to this issue in 950G but no HDR bright and HDR dark in 900F. this is not my issue whole thread have many posts for similar issue.

I am OK when i watch at night but during day i switch to standard mode some times.
Yea I’m with you. HDR is a mess on this set. Unwatchable during the day. It was fixed at one point but now it’s extremely dark again. I just decided to turn off HDR. I’m done.
post #9436 of 10919 Old 08-30-2019, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Yea I’m with you. HDR is a mess on this set. Unwatchable during the day. It was fixed at one point but now it’s extremely dark again. I just decided to turn off HDR. I’m done.
HDR during the day? By that, do you mean there is light shining on/around the display? If so, you really shouldn't expect much in terms of HDR or DV, should you?

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4200W
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #9437 of 10919 Old 08-30-2019, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone knows what the B symbol between two speakers on the top left corner means? It's the usual speaker symbol of the TV, but with B inside it.

PS4 Pro
post #9438 of 10919 Old 08-31-2019, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Damn milleniels grew up watching 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio cartoon/animated movies on iPads, expect reality to look like computer graphics :-)

Paul
Quote:
Rich
aracGuate and lyubohar like this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #9439 of 10919 Old 08-31-2019, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Damn milleniels grew up watching 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio cartoon/animated movies on iPads, expect reality to look like computer graphics 🙂

Paul
Quote:
Rich
I actually used your setting which are generally great. The exception being for a lot of DV content. My TV is in a well lit room with lots of natural light. The new avengers movie is unwatchable during the day, the image is extremely dark. Something is wrong and Sony needs to fix it.
post #9440 of 10919 Old 08-31-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
Who do we bug about getting filmmaker mode on Sony TV's?
I think Filmmaker mode would be nice to have, if you can get a specific setting without calibration or joining a forum, then it seems like a good thing (I’m not suggesting there wouldn’t still be value in calibration). But what I would really like to know if there is a way to suggest changes / updates in writing directly to Sony (without trusting a CSR to ‘pass it on’). Something similar to Apple’s feedback, where it goes to a specific product team.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #9441 of 10919 Old 08-31-2019, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Yeah, Dolby Vision on the X900 is definetally meant to be viewed in pitch dark theatre conditions...

Sony should just setup the Cinema Pro picture mode with the specific effects turned off to make it "filmaker mode" acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
I think Filmmaker mode would be nice to have, if you can get a specific setting without calibration or joining a forum, then it seems like a good thing (I’m not suggesting there wouldn’t still be value in calibration). But what I would really like to know if there is a way to suggest changes / updates in writing directly to Sony (without trusting a CSR to ‘pass it on’). Something similar to Apple’s feedback, where it goes to a specific product team.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #9442 of 10919 Old 08-31-2019, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Yeah, Dolby Vision on the X900 is definetally meant to be viewed in pitch dark theatre conditions...

Sony should just setup the Cinema Pro picture mode with the specific effects turned off to make it "filmaker mode" acceptable.
I think DV looks great, no complaints, but I have a blackout screen I can lower over the outside of the house when I want daytime viewing (or it’s a hot day).

However I think your idea of turning Cinema Pro into “Filmmaker mode” is excellent, that would seem to be the intent of something called ‘pro’.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #9443 of 10919 Old 08-31-2019, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I agree about x900F DV and HDR not up to what we thought we paid for. But interestingly... if you watch most HDR videos in YouTube on the x900F it looks great versus Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, and UHD discs. Try this video.. night or day... and see what you really paid for....
. Ouch!
post #9444 of 10919 Old 09-01-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyubohar View Post
Anyone knows what the B symbol between two speakers on the top left corner means? It's the usual speaker symbol of the TV, but with B inside it.
And here's an image of that symbol. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190901_193509.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	2609834  

PS4 Pro
post #9445 of 10919 Old 09-01-2019, 10:54 AM

Have there been any firmware updates to the TV itself?
post #9446 of 10919 Old 09-01-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes
post #9447 of 10919 Old 09-01-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:

Yes
I found the Oreo update for the Android operating system. Where would I find any firmware updates? Also, have there been any issue with any of them? Thanks!
post #9448 of 10919 Old 09-01-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
I found the Oreo update for the Android operating system. Where would I find any firmware updates? Also, have there been any issue with any of them? Thanks!
Sony website is where the updates are.
As far as issues with certain firmwares, search this thread; you will find users who had issues with certain firmwares and if they have been fixed or still remain unresolved.......

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN

Last edited by bodean; 09-01-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #9449 of 10919 Old 09-01-2019, 01:02 PM

Are your hooked up to sound via Bluetooth?
lyubohar likes this.
post #9450 of 10919 Old 09-01-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyubohar View Post
And here's an image of that symbol. Any ideas?
What device are you seeing that from? I checked that program on the ATV4K Prime app and do not see that symbol.
lyubohar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page