2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 319 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4447Likes

post #9541 of 10072 Old 09-18-2019, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Have you tried unplugging to let it reset? You need to see the Android load screen.
That worked, thanks!!

I didn't realize physically unplugging would have a different affect than just turning it off & on.

Appreciate your feedback and quick reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 10072 Old 09-18-2019, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
That worked, thanks!!

I didn't realize physically unplugging would have a different affect than just turning it off & on.

Appreciate your feedback and quick reply!
Glad it is fixed. Always try that first if you have any issues in the future. Otherwise it is not actually 'off'.
astrohip likes this.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #9543 of 10072 Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Glad it is fixed. Always try that first if you have any issues in the future. Otherwise it is not actually 'off'.
As an old time techie, "turn it off & on" was our mantra. But that was for computers. Never stopped to think this TV would fall into that category, but yeah, they're nothing but specific-use computers these days.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9544 of 10072 Old 09-18-2019, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
As an old time techie, "turn it off & on" was our mantra. But that was for computers. Never stopped to think this TV would fall into that category, but yeah, they're nothing but specific-use computers these days.

Thanks again.
New devices, especially TVs, don't turn off with the remote power buttons but go into a deep sleep. Just like your computer a good reboot, power removed, can clear up many niggling issues.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #9545 of 10072 Old 09-18-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So my old plasma TV finally bit the dust. I decided to go with the Sony x900F. So far I am enjoying it and have been adjusting the settings via the recommendations of the first page, and have found that the picture is really a step up from my old tv.

I do have one problem I have noticed. I do not seem to be getting Dolby Digital sound when watching Dolby Vision. My setup is on a Apple TV 4k - HDMI to the TV - Optical out from the tv to a sound bar. On any other content my sound bar picks up the Dolby and displays 5.1 and sounds much better. One thing I noticed while watching DV is if I hit the display button the info across the top does not show "DOLBY DIGITAL" like it does when I am not watching DV.

Ive done a couple things to try and troubleshoot.
Changed the audio format from auto to 5.1 on the apple tv
Tried some of the different options on the sony tv audio settings

I also changed the settings on the ATV to not push hdr or DV but that didn't make a difference either if I watched content that has the"Dolby Vision" tag in netflix.

Any ideas?
post #9546 of 10072 Old 09-18-2019, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Dolby Vision support in X900f

Considering X900F vs. X850G vs. X950G at 85" size (which means crazy price for X950G). Could someone kindly clarify the current state of Dolby Vision after all these updates:

1. Does it still require to offload part of the Dolby Vision processing to external blu-ray player or Apple TV 4K?
2. Does it support Dolby Vision in all the built in apps without any third party devices attached?
3. Does the Dolby Vision look as good as X950G (not the actual picture quality, but heard many rumors that enabling Dolby Vision gives very poor artifacts and washed out colors and low brightness)
4. Does it have lip sync problem for 7.1 Dolby Atmos setup such as HW-Q90R (7.1.4) where two of the rear speakers are reported to have lip sync issues without eArc?
5. Assuming is doesn't support DTS, does the Dolby Digital Plus fully work without any hiccup?

Really appreciate any help as I am torn between the above 3 TVs. X950G could solve all my problems but the 85" has X-Wide angle filter that kills contrast and the price is eye watering for 85".
post #9547 of 10072 Old 09-18-2019, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6786 Post(s)
Liked: 6785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post
I’m watching Monday Night Football and the picture on my 75” 900F looks absolutely gorgeous! It looks so good that if you told me it was 4K I wouldn’t question you. I’m blown away by the picture on this thing. It just goes to show you what this tv will do with a quality feed. Had to share my excitement. Go Jets!
Amazing TV, especially when you consider the price !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post
What are everyone's thoughts regarding an extended warranty for this TV?

I'm considering purchasing the 85" X900F from Best Buy and I'm trying to decide whether or not the extra $750 for a 5-year warranty is worth the peace of mind. Assuming I'm happy with this TV, I don't plan on upgrading it within 5 years, but an extra $750 on top of the price is hard to swallow.
Gosh I hope you do not pay that much, there are 3 after market extended warranties that are just as good for a 1/3 of that cost or even less......
Swoosh830 likes this.
post #9548 of 10072 Old 09-18-2019, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Gosh I hope you do not pay that much, there are 3 after market extended warranties that are just as good for a 1/3 of that cost or even less......
Do you mind sharing what those would be? I'm assuming SquareTrade is one?
post #9549 of 10072 Old 09-18-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Do you mind sharing what those would be? I'm assuming SquareTrade is one?
Is Costco warranty not applicable anymore? I see the product page says only applies to TVs purchased from Costco or Costco.com but the FAQ says it also applies to TVs purchased from outside.
post #9550 of 10072 Old 09-19-2019, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone tell me how much space is below the bottom bezel for a soundbar? I don't want to get one that is too tall that it blocks the screen when I order them both.

Thanks!
post #9551 of 10072 Old 09-19-2019, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2panther View Post
Can anyone tell me how much space is below the bottom bezel for a soundbar? I don't want to get one that is too tall that it blocks the screen when I order them both.

Thanks!
If you use the feet that come with the set, you have about 2 5/8" to the bottom of the unit, and about 3 1/4" to the display area itself. This is for the 65" by the way, don't know if that is different on other sizes.
post #9552 of 10072 Old 09-19-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2panther View Post

Thanks!
Check the cut sheet for the size TV you have in the following link. You might just have to do some quick math if they don't have that specific length measured.

http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/premi...sion/X900F.php
post #9553 of 10072 Old 09-19-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foyzur View Post
Is Costco warranty not applicable anymore? I see the product page says only applies to TVs purchased from Costco or Costco.com but the FAQ says it also applies to TVs purchased from outside.
I had read somewhere else that it no longer applies to TVs purchased outside of Costco.
post #9554 of 10072 Old 09-19-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I had read somewhere else that it no longer applies to TVs purchased outside of Costco.
Costco Link: https://customerservice.costco.com/a...uaretrade-faqs

From that link:

TELEVISIONS
Television service plans include:
5 years total protection when you purchase through a Costco warehouse or on Costco.com (Costco or the manufacturer will cover the first two years; SquareTrade covers years three through five)
4 Years total protection when you purchase through any other authorized US retailer (the first year of warranty is covered by the manufacturer; SquareTrade covers years two through four)
Free in-home service for TVs 37 inches and over
Free two-way shipping for service for TVs under 37 inches
Parts and labor coverage (no deductibles)
24/7 customer support
Easy online management
Television service plans must be purchased within 90 days of your TV purchase.

And the best part is it's only $99 (IIRC) for televisions over $1K
Swoosh830 and naustin like this.
post #9555 of 10072 Old 09-19-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Costco Link: https://customerservice.costco.com/a...uaretrade-faqs

From that link:

4 Years total protection when you purchase through any other authorized US retailer (the first year of warranty is covered by the manufacturer; SquareTrade covers years two through four)
Awesome, thanks for finding that! I had purchased the same warranty for my Samsung F8500 plasma back in 2014. I never had to use it, but it's good to know this is still available.

Edit: Never mind. This is what is in the actual description of the plan you can purchase from Costco:

This plan is exclusive to Costco members. In order to redeem protection plan coverage, TV and plan must be purchased from a Costco location or Costco.com.

It almost seems as if they updated the product description with the new policy, but not the FAQs. If I pull the trigger on this TV, I'll have to call and verify before making any extended warranty decisions.

Last edited by Swoosh830; 09-19-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #9556 of 10072 Old 09-19-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for finding that! I had purchased the same warranty for my Samsung F8500 plasma back in 2014. I never had to use it, but it's good to know this is still available.

Edit: Never mind. This is what is in the actual description of the plan you can purchase from Costco:

This plan is exclusive to Costco members. In order to redeem protection plan coverage, TV and plan must be purchased from a Costco location or Costco.com.

It almost seems as if they updated the product description with the new policy, but not the FAQs. If I pull the trigger on this TV, I'll have to call and verify before making any extended warranty decisions.
Sounds fair. Please let us know what you find. The way I interpreted the product page description (disclaimer: my personal interpretation) is, the product page claims to give you 5 year coverage (with a graphic diagram). So, they put that text to justify that picture. The reason I interpreted that way is, if you download the terms (Terms & Conditions 2019.pdf) from the product page, nowhere in the pdf doc (filled with legal jargon) does it say that TV And plan must be purchased from costco (I did a quick text search of "costco" in that pdf). Anyways, let us know what you find.
post #9557 of 10072 Old 09-19-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:

BTW, I think contacting Squaretrade makes more sense. They are the warranty administrator. Do they care where you bought your warranty from?
post #9558 of 10072 Old 09-19-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
BTW, I think contacting Squaretrade makes more sense. They are the warranty administrator. Do they care where you bought your warranty from?
Well I began looking into where I can buy SquareTrade warranties in general. Three separate places... Costco, Amazon, and QVC all state somewhere in the description that the warranty only applies to TVs purchased from the respective sites. Since the prices vary, I'd prefer to hear it straight from Costco that their plan ($99) can be applied towards a TV bought elsewhere.

If you go to SquareTrade's website, they have a 2 or 4-year plan, not a 3-year plan like Costco offers. Also, their 4-year plan is $349.99 for the highest price bracket of $2,000 - $2999.99... they don't even have a plan available if the price of the TV is over $3K.

None of this is very straightforward. I'll look into this more as I get closer to a possible purchase.
post #9559 of 10072 Old 09-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 149
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

When I bought my 75X900F last year I purchased the Costco SquareTrade plan. I bought mine from a Sony authorized retailer. They’ve definitely changed the wording of the plan since then. It never used to say anything about buying the TV from Costco and now it does. Obviously the best thing to do is to contact SquareTrade and inquire.

I’m glad I got mine before they made those changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9560 of 10072 Old 09-19-2019, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
120hz motion seen with all motion stuff turned off

I am seeing motion that is at least 120hz even though I have Motionflow and Cinemotion turned off. Recording a 23.976 fps source at 240 fps I get at least 3 distinct frames for each 23.976 frame-to-frame transition. I have been noticing this when watching and was wondering what I was seeing. Most people don't seem to notice, but I definitely find it distracting, especially during high contrast cuts. Is there a way to completely disable this?

240 fps recording here, slowed down to 0.5 fps:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Cby3xwv

Distinct frames:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motion1.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2617796   Click image for larger version

Name:	motion2.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2617798   Click image for larger version

Name:	motion3.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2617800  
post #9561 of 10072 Old 09-20-2019, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD30 View Post
So my old plasma TV finally bit the dust. I decided to go with the Sony x900F. So far I am enjoying it and have been adjusting the settings via the recommendations of the first page, and have found that the picture is really a step up from my old tv.

I do have one problem I have noticed. I do not seem to be getting Dolby Digital sound when watching Dolby Vision. My setup is on a Apple TV 4k - HDMI to the TV - Optical out from the tv to a sound bar. On any other content my sound bar picks up the Dolby and displays 5.1 and sounds much better. One thing I noticed while watching DV is if I hit the display button the info across the top does not show "DOLBY DIGITAL" like it does when I am not watching DV.

Ive done a couple things to try and troubleshoot.
Changed the audio format from auto to 5.1 on the apple tv
Tried some of the different options on the sony tv audio settings

I also changed the settings on the ATV to not push hdr or DV but that didn't make a difference either if I watched content that has the"Dolby Vision" tag in netflix.

Any ideas?
TOSLink (optical S/PDIF) cannot send any of the newer digital audio formats, specifically Dolby Digital Plus which is used by ATV4K and many sources (especially those streaming 4K, DV, or HDR as they would tend to have better soundtracks). Can your sound bar accept HDMI?

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #9562 of 10072 Old 09-20-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
TOSLink (optical S/PDIF) cannot send any of the newer digital audio formats, specifically Dolby Digital Plus which is used by ATV4K and many sources (especially those streaming 4K, DV, or HDR as they would tend to have better soundtracks). Can your sound bar accept HDMI?

Hey thanks for the reply.

That makes sense, and you are right when playing HDR or DV the audio on my sound bar shows lpcm and is much lower quality.

My soundbar is very old but still sound and works well for my use in the family living room, it CAN accept hdmi. It is a sony htct500. Im not going directly to it as it cant pass hdr or dv content.

Im not sure how to get better sound to this older sound bar. HMMM
post #9563 of 10072 Old 09-20-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

That makes sense, and you are right when playing HDR or DV the audio on my sound bar shows lpcm and is much lower quality.

My soundbar is very old but still sound and works well for my use in the family living room, it CAN accept hdmi. It is a sony htct500. Im not going directly to it as it cant pass hdr or dv content.

Sounds like it’s either better picture or better sound, I’d probably go with better picture for now (as you’ve done). You could try an HDMI splitter off the ATV to send the picture to the TV and audio to the soundbar, but I might look toward a Black Friday sale for a new soundbar, maybe even one with Atmos.

It’s not LPCM per se that’s inferior as the ATV sends everything that way, but newer implementations can send more channels and even Atmos using Dolby MAT.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #9564 of 10072 Old 09-20-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Quote:

***You are pretty much stuck with "Optical/TOSLINK" for your audio as your soundbar is not "ARC" (Audio Return Channel) capable. Thus, no DD+ or, as you stated, no 4K/HDR or DV pass through. Maybe a new soundbar on Black Friday or for Xmas & the Holidays?

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #9565 of 10072 Old 09-20-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
Sounds like it’s either better picture or better sound, I’d probably go with better picture for now (as you’ve done). You could try an HDMI splitter off the ATV to send the picture to the TV and audio to the soundbar, but I might look toward a Black Friday sale for a new soundbar, maybe even one with Atmos.

It’s not LPCM per se that’s inferior as the ATV sends everything that way, but newer implementations can send more channels and even Atmos using Dolby MAT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***You are pretty much stuck with "Optical/TOSLINK" for your audio as your soundbar is not "ARC" (Audio Return Channel) capable. Thus, no DD+ or, as you stated, no 4K/HDR or DV pass through. Maybe a new soundbar on Black Friday or for Xmas & the Holidays?

I see, thanks guys. Its not too much of a bother, Ill shop for a newer sound bar come black Friday time.
bmcleod likes this.
post #9566 of 10072 Old 09-20-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Sounds fair. Please let us know what you find.
I did an online chat with a Costco rep and pointed out the line from the FAQ. Below is the response:

It just informs you that it will cover any TV for any retailers but if you purchase it with Costco it will have to be from a TV from Costco. If that makes any sense. "This plan is exclusive to Costco members. In order to redeem protection plan coverage, TV and plan must be purchased from a Costco location or Costco.com."

It doesn't sound like the 3-year plan for $99 from Costco.com will apply to a TV purchased somewhere other than Costco.
post #9567 of 10072 Old 09-20-2019, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherlore View Post
I am seeing motion that is at least 120hz even though I have Motionflow and Cinemotion turned off. Recording a 23.976 fps source at 240 fps I get at least 3 distinct frames for each 23.976 frame-to-frame transition. I have been noticing this when watching and was wondering what I was seeing. Most people don't seem to notice, but I definitely find it distracting, especially during high contrast cuts. Is there a way to completely disable this?

Distinct frames:

Trying to wrap my head around this..

Why don't you record in 120fps for simplicity's sake? Then your recording will be as "high-res" as possible, but simpler. Each frame in your recording will represent one full flashed/displayed frame by the TV.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #9568 of 10072 Old 09-20-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Quote:

Trying to wrap my head around this..

Why don't you record in 120fps for simplicity's sake? Then your recording will be as "high-res" as possible, but simpler. Each frame in your recording will represent one full flashed/displayed frame by the TV.
That may seem like the intuitive way to do this, but would only be more accurate if the recording device and the screen were synchronized. Since this isn’t the case, recoding at 120 FPS just increases the chance that what we are seeing is an average of two 120 hz frames on the tv.

Also we need twice the sampling rate of the signal in order to reproduce it, as Nyquist stipulates: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyqu...mpling_theorem

I believe what we are seeing in my OP are the actual frames as displayed by the tv, just not sure if this always happens or if it’s some setting I have missed.

If you look at the gifv in the imgur link you can also see at the end of the clip the hand motion also gets some intermediate frames inserted. Just to entirely verify this isn’t the camera I will attempt to capture this on another display tonight as well.

Last edited by etherlore; 09-20-2019 at 01:07 PM.
post #9569 of 10072 Old 09-20-2019, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
That may seem like the intuitive way to do this, but would only be more accurate if the recording device and the screen were synchronized. Since this isn’t the case, recoding at 120 FPS just increases the chance that what we are seeing is an average of two 120 hz frames on the tv.
Ah, good point. Well is it possible that the "transition" screens you're seeing in your recording aren't really being *displayed* distinctly by the TV, but what your recording is catching is that transition between one frame and the next? Because the recording is so fast, it's able to see the light fade out from one frame while light fades in from the next? Otherwise, your recording would show black frames, correct?

I'm probably wrong.. like I said.. trying to wrap my head around this, lol. And I'm not entirely sure how the panel displays, flickers, etc. I just get the basics.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #9570 of 10072 Old 09-22-2019, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello guys. Quick question looking for some help.

I just bought a 75x900f. I’ve had it for a week now, and first tv in 10 years. All my stuff is run through my current onkyo receiver until my new 4K one comes. Everything is run through HDMI 3. This is all great, but I wanted to see 4K so I took a source out and directly put it in HDMI 2. Again pleased with it.

Next day I come down to see HDMI is showing the device plugged in (the icon), but is saying no signal present. I unplug turn off/on and nothing changes. The funny part is I take the HDMI plugged into port 3 and put it in port 2, and it displays fine. I take the 4K source from 2, and put it in 3 and it works fine. I put the 4K source back into 2, and it’s showing no signal, although the 1080p source from the receiver works in either port 3/2.

I have no idea. Read what I could, and resetting the tv (unplug 2 minutes) and turning back on, and the 4K source works in HDMI 2. Again.

After a couple days of use, it’s happenrd again..,,,working fine his AM, but just now it’s showing no signal and I had to reset the thing to get it to work.

Can someone tell me if this is a HDMI port/board issue? It’s bestbuy purchase so I have 3 weeks to bring it back. Though they said they can’t het anymore and their all sold out. It was their only one in stock that they opened for display (200hrs on it). So I’d rather not return if it’s not the tv. I see I can still order one online again now if I needed to.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page