2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 320 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4515Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9571 of 10346 Old 09-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
hiperco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: "Greater Binghamton Area"
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by foyzur View Post
Considering X900F vs. X850G vs. X950G at 85" size (which means crazy price for X950G). Could someone kindly clarify the current state of Dolby Vision after all these updates:

1. Does it still require to offload part of the Dolby Vision processing to external blu-ray player or Apple TV 4K?
2. Does it support Dolby Vision in all the built in apps without any third party devices attached?
3. Does the Dolby Vision look as good as X950G (not the actual picture quality, but heard many rumors that enabling Dolby Vision gives very poor artifacts and washed out colors and low brightness)
4. Does it have lip sync problem for 7.1 Dolby Atmos setup such as HW-Q90R (7.1.4) where two of the rear speakers are reported to have lip sync issues without eArc?
5. Assuming is doesn't support DTS, does the Dolby Digital Plus fully work without any hiccup?

Really appreciate any help as I am torn between the above 3 TVs. X950G could solve all my problems but the 85" has X-Wide angle filter that kills contrast and the price is eye watering for 85".
Anyone have any input to this question? Or is this the Squaretrade warranty thread?
Craigslue likes this.
hiperco is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9572 of 10346 Old 09-22-2019, 08:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A question for all the genius people here. I posted this in the Sony x900 group and the ATMOS group but can’t get an answer. This is a question that I hope someone can answer. I have an Apple 4K tv running into a Z9f sound bar hdmi1. I output that to a Sony x900f tv hdmi3 arc. I have the Apple TV set the 4K sdr with match rate and content. If I set the chroma to anything but 4:2:0 I get blackouts. Sound and picture go out for a second and come back on. If it’s set to 4:2:0 I’m good with I believe no blackouts. I just replaced the ATV so that’s ruled out. I’ve used about 3 sets of hdmi cables including mono price 8k. I can’t figure out the issue. I have all ports on the TV set to enhanced and the sound bar set to enhanced. Below is a video of what is happening. Anyone have any ideas?
schroed3r is offline  
post #9573 of 10346 Old 09-22-2019, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
iserum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroed3r View Post
A question for all the genius people here. I posted this in the Sony x900 group and the ATMOS group but can’t get an answer. This is a question that I hope someone can answer. I have an Apple 4K tv running into a Z9f sound bar hdmi1. I output that to a Sony x900f tv hdmi3 arc. I have the Apple TV set the 4K sdr with match rate and content. If I set the chroma to anything but 4:2:0 I get blackouts. Sound and picture go out for a second and come back on. If it’s set to 4:2:0 I’m good with I believe no blackouts. I just replaced the ATV so that’s ruled out. I’ve used about 3 sets of hdmi cables including mono price 8k. I can’t figure out the issue. I have all ports on the TV set to enhanced and the sound bar set to enhanced. Below is a video of what is happening. Anyone have any ideas?
you are not loosing much due to 4:2:0

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
iserum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9574 of 10346 Old 09-22-2019, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,925
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Attached are two photos of a screen distortion on text characters on a news banner on Fox News Channel on Directv. From ten feet you can't see it but up close it's very apparent. If it could be fixed I'm sure the ten foot image would improve considerably. FNC is 720P but I get similar results on 1080i channels. The distortion is kind of a distortion in all directions as the artifacts are scattered. The straight vertical lines in the picture are not generally there in person. I think the camera did that.

Anyone seen this on their 900F? Mine is the 85" model. Is there a setting that might address it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4104.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	2619018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4103.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	2619020  

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #9575 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroed3r View Post
A question for all the genius people here. I posted this in the Sony x900 group and the ATMOS group but can’t get an answer. This is a question that I hope someone can answer. I have an Apple 4K tv running into a Z9f sound bar hdmi1. I output that to a Sony x900f tv hdmi3 arc. I have the Apple TV set the 4K sdr with match rate and content. If I set the chroma to anything but 4:2:0 I get blackouts. Sound and picture go out for a second and come back on. If it’s set to 4:2:0 I’m good with I believe no blackouts. I just replaced the ATV so that’s ruled out. I’ve used about 3 sets of hdmi cables including mono price 8k. I can’t figure out the issue. I have all ports on the TV set to enhanced and the sound bar set to enhanced. Below is a video of what is happening. Anyone have any ideas?
It works straight to the TV?

I had a problem with my Xbox One X. If I went directly to the TV, it was fine. Through my Z9F, it would black screen or show that I couldn't get full display. I bought a cable at Target one day just to try again. It worked. Four others had not through the the soundbar (including my Monoprice cables). Can't explain it.

https://www.target.com/p/philips-4-p...y/-/A-53248007

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
Coercion Shaman is offline  
post #9576 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 06:40 AM
Senior Member
 
sschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Not sure if any owners here own a Panasonic UB820 4K player. If you do, which luminance setting do you set for this TV on the Panasonic UB820 4K player?
sschen is offline  
post #9577 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 07:10 AM
Member
 
daytona ss 396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update from my post last night....

Actually just happened again when I turned it on. The 4K source in HDMI started to darken a bit the screen but just stayed on ‘no signal’. I took the source in hdmi 3, and it worked fine when switched to 2, and likewise when I put the 4K source in port 3. I swithed them back, and the 4K source still didn’t work. (4K source is an Xbox one s that should be set on 4k uhd upscale feed).

I changed the HDMI cable to a new one, and it stayed the same.

I held power button on the remote for 5 seconds to power down the tv, and it was fine on restart.
daytona ss 396 is offline  
post #9578 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,903
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6843 Post(s)
Liked: 6838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post
Well I began looking into where I can buy SquareTrade warranties in general. Three separate places... Costco, Amazon, and QVC all state somewhere in the description that the warranty only applies to TVs purchased from the respective sites. Since the prices vary, I'd prefer to hear it straight from Costco that their plan ($99) can be applied towards a TV bought elsewhere.

If you go to SquareTrade's website, they have a 2 or 4-year plan, not a 3-year plan like Costco offers. Also, their 4-year plan is $349.99 for the highest price bracket of $2,000 - $2999.99... they don't even have a plan available if the price of the TV is over $3K.
Last I read on the $999 and up plan at Costco, they would pay a max of $4000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post
None of this is very straightforward. I'll look into this more as I get closer to a possible purchase.
Of course not it is insurance, if you talk to a rep get there name and ID and note the time you chatted with her or its all her-say.......Then again they have lawyers and unless you have a good friend that will work for free, a denied claim is not worth fighting.......You never know how good your insurance is until you use it.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #9579 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,379
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Attached are two photos of a screen distortion on text characters on a news banner on Fox News Channel on Directv. From ten feet you can't see it but up close it's very apparent. If it could be fixed I'm sure the ten foot image would improve considerably. FNC is 720P but I get similar results on 1080i channels. The distortion is kind of a distortion in all directions as the artifacts are scattered. The straight vertical lines in the picture are not generally there in person. I think the camera did that.

Anyone seen this on their 900F? Mine is the 85" model. Is there a setting that might address it?
***Stop watching the FOX "Fake-A-News" channel. Just kidding. News banners can be "iffy" even with solid signals/connections. I take it that you have Directv (not streaming "Directv NOW"). Does Directv have a "native" setting for your source signal? Is the screen distortion the same with other banners on channels like ESPN or heaven forbid, CNN? If it's just the Fox News Channel that shows this problem, then it's channel related. And I'm not sure that any setting would help it.

Does it happen all the time? Lastly, and just a shot in the dark - - do you have certified, "High Speed Cables?" Many times, compression is the cause of distorted picture quality. And with an 85" screen (you lucky dog!) - it's going to be more visible. Do you have just one Directv "box" or is many throughout your home? Newer "cable" lines? Strong signal from Directv? And if you have an "OTA" or "Over The Air" antenna - - can you compare channels to your Directv feed?

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #9580 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 10:33 AM
Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just bought and set up an 85X900F and am very happy with the purchase except for a display "trait" that I'm not sure how to get rid of. The "Picture Adjustments" ---> "Picture Mode" is what I'm needing help with. The "mode" issue I have is related to the display in Custom, Cinema Pro and Cinema Home which for lack of a better description looks like I'm watching a picture shot during a bad smog day in LA. All three picture modes look this way displaying a brownish tint to the entire screen regardless of what I'm watching.

When I switch to Vivid, Standard or Sports the picture looks much better as if it was a day without ANY smog.

FYI, TV picture settings are still at factory default. I was hoping someone would tell me the best way to get rid of my smog in Custom, Cinema Pro and Cinema Home?

TIA.

Rick
rikhek is offline  
post #9581 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
mhyatt5871's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhek View Post
I just bought and set up an 85X900F and am very happy with the purchase except for a display "trait" that I'm not sure how to get rid of. The "Picture Adjustments" ---> "Picture Mode" is what I'm needing help with. The "mode" issue I have is related to the display in Custom, Cinema Pro and Cinema Home which for lack of a better description looks like I'm watching a picture shot during a bad smog day in LA. All three picture modes look this way displaying a brownish tint to the entire screen regardless of what I'm watching.

When I switch to Vivid, Standard or Sports the picture looks much better as if it was a day without ANY smog.

FYI, TV picture settings are still at factory default. I was hoping someone would tell me the best way to get rid of my smog in Custom, Cinema Pro and Cinema Home?

TIA.

Rick



I think that what you are describing is the difference between warmer and cooler color schemes. Vivid, Standard, and Sports all use a Cool or Neutral color scheme, while Custom, Cinema Home and Cinema Pro use a warmer color scheme, such as Expert 1 or 2. If you don't like those settings, try changing the color scheme inside the Advanced Settings menu, located at the bottom of the Picture Adjustments menu.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
mhyatt5871 is online now  
post #9582 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
I think that what you are describing is the difference between warmer and cooler color schemes. Vivid, Standard, and Sports all use a Cool or Neutral color scheme, while Custom, Cinema Home and Cinema Pro use a warmer color scheme, such as Expert 1 or 2. If you don't like those settings, try changing the color scheme inside the Advanced Settings menu, located at the bottom of the Picture Adjustments menu.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm excited to get home this evening and trying the different color schemes. If you're correct I'll be thrilled with the results if I just match the color scheme defaults in Vivid, Standard and Sport!

Any other comments or suggestions are greatly welcomed and appreciated.
rikhek is offline  
post #9583 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,925
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Stop watching the FOX "Fake-A-News" channel. Just kidding. News banners can be "iffy" even with solid signals/connections. I take it that you have Directv (not streaming "Directv NOW"). Does Directv have a "native" setting for your source signal? Is the screen distortion the same with other banners on channels like ESPN or heaven forbid, CNN? If it's just the Fox News Channel that shows this problem, then it's channel related. And I'm not sure that any setting would help it.

Does it happen all the time? Lastly, and just a shot in the dark - - do you have certified, "High Speed Cables?" Many times, compression is the cause of distorted picture quality. And with an 85" screen (you lucky dog!) - it's going to be more visible. Do you have just one Directv "box" or is many throughout your home? Newer "cable" lines? Strong signal from Directv? And if you have an "OTA" or "Over The Air" antenna - - can you compare channels to your Directv feed?
It's Directv and they just took away the "native" setting. So it's outputting 1080i for everything. I've tried both Fox(720P) and NBC(1080i) and the problem is there for both. All my cables are certified. I did just check in my HT room on my projector. It's there too so I guess it's probably in the source. I'll try showing some streaming apps from either internal apps or my Firestick 4K. I'll need to find some material that has text banners like this. Do you know of any?

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #9584 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Considering X900F vs. X850G vs. X950G at 85" size (which means crazy price for X950G). Could someone kindly clarify the current state of Dolby Vision after all these updates:

1. Does it still require to offload part of the Dolby Vision processing to external blu-ray player or Apple TV 4K?
-- The Sony TVs use a new Dolby profile that the source device must support, this is not going to change.
2. Does it support Dolby Vision in all the built in apps without any third party devices attached?
-- DV support is up to the app developer but all the Sony TV you listed are capable of supporting DV in app that the developer chooses to enable it
3. Does the Dolby Vision look as good as X950G (not the actual picture quality, but heard many rumors that enabling Dolby Vision gives very poor artifacts and washed out colors and low brightness)
-- The higher the model the better DV looks, don't believe everything you read about Sony's and poor DV display. You will need to decide for yourself.
4. Does it have lip sync problem for 7.1 Dolby Atmos setup such as HW-Q90R (7.1.4) where two of the rear speakers are reported to have lip sync issues without eArc?
-- Lip sync issues are hard to pin down, and highly dependent on the entire chain you use for audio and how it is connected.
5. Assuming is doesn't support DTS, does the Dolby Digital Plus fully work without any hiccup?
--DD and DD+ work will, if your AVR support DTS then just plug the source device into your AVR before the TV and you will get DTS support.

Really appreciate any help as I am torn between the above 3 TVs. X950G could solve all my problems but the 85" has X-Wide angle filter that kills contrast and the price is eye watering for 85".
-- Again don't believe all that you read about the X-Wide angle filter, most (not all) of the complaints about contrast killing come from non-owners. Most owners seem to be pretty satisified with the contrast and brightness of the 950G. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you.
Craigslue and spear like this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4

Last edited by rboster; 09-24-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #9585 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,379
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
It's Directv and they just took away the "native" setting. So it's outputting 1080i for everything. I've tried both Fox(720P) and NBC(1080i) and the problem is there for both. All my cables are certified. I did just check in my HT room on my projector. It's there too so I guess it's probably in the source. I'll try showing some streaming apps from either internal apps or my Firestick 4K. I'll need to find some material that has text banners like this. Do you know of any?
***Can you try a service like Hulu for a week? Make sure you use your credit card and I believe Hulu provides a free week to test out their channels which include Fox, CNN and ESPN. Worth a try, IMHO, to determine if it's a Directv problem or not.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #9586 of 10346 Old 09-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
I think that what you are describing is the difference between warmer and cooler color schemes. Vivid, Standard, and Sports all use a Cool or Neutral color scheme, while Custom, Cinema Home and Cinema Pro use a warmer color scheme, such as Expert 1 or 2. If you don't like those settings, try changing the color scheme inside the Advanced Settings menu, located at the bottom of the Picture Adjustments menu.
Issue resolved! A cool to neutral color scheme is more to my preference. The modes I didn't like were as you stated, Expert 1.

Again, much appreciated.

Rick
mhyatt5871 likes this.
rikhek is offline  
post #9587 of 10346 Old 09-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
acidrock69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is the general consensus that the TV's apps (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) are subpar? I followed this thread months ago and remember people complaining about streaming quality, or maybe it was about Dolby Vision? I have been watching UHDs and cable so far and before I start streaming I'd like to know which of the 3 apps are lacking in order to decide which streaming device to buy.

TIA

TV: Sony 85" x900F
Receiver: Denon AVR-X8500H
Blu-Ray: OPPO UDP-203
Media Players: Dune HD Duo 4K and Zidoo Z9S
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 7.2.4
acidrock69 is offline  
post #9588 of 10346 Old 09-24-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nicktx27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock69 View Post
Is the general consensus that the TV's apps (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) are subpar? I followed this thread months ago and remember people complaining about streaming quality, or maybe it was about Dolby Vision? I have been watching UHDs and cable so far and before I start streaming I'd like to know which of the 3 apps are lacking in order to decide which streaming device to buy.



TIA
My experience has always been that internal apps are always horrible. It's an afterthought in most cases. That's why I plan to use a Roku and Xbox. Now reason to use internal apps when better options are available. Personally, I wish they'd just do away with internal apps on TV's. They never do it right anyway.
acidrock69 likes this.

Last edited by Nicktx27; 09-24-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Nicktx27 is online now  
post #9589 of 10346 Old 09-24-2019, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock69 View Post
Is the general consensus that the TV's apps (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) are subpar? I followed this thread months ago and remember people complaining about streaming quality, or maybe it was about Dolby Vision? I have been watching UHDs and cable so far and before I start streaming I'd like to know which of the 3 apps are lacking in order to decide which streaming device to buy.

TIA
I have a Roku Premiere + and the 900e, in my experience the Sony Android TV apps are equal to or better than the Roku apps. The thing is the Sony Android apps are the exact same ones as are available for the Shield, FireTV, and all other Android TV STBs meaning developers can develop for Android TV and then deploy to multiple vendor devices. You no longer have an OS that is proprietary to a single TV manufacturer making it more cost effective to develop for the target.
acidrock69 likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #9590 of 10346 Old 09-24-2019, 10:49 PM
Member
 
lyubohar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have the same experience - apps on TV are equal or better than ones I have on my FireTV. Too bad my FireTV never freezes or restarts, so I'm using it instead of the TV apps
acidrock69 likes this.

__________________________________________________
Yamaha RX-V685 (in 5.1)
DALI Zensor 7, DALI Sub E-12, DALI Zensor 1, DALI Zensor Vokal
Sony KD-65XF9005
PS4 Pro

Last edited by lyubohar; 09-25-2019 at 02:07 AM.
lyubohar is online now  
post #9591 of 10346 Old 09-25-2019, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,130
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock69 View Post
Is the general consensus that the TV's apps (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) are subpar? I followed this thread months ago and remember people complaining about streaming quality, or maybe it was about Dolby Vision? I have been watching UHDs and cable so far and before I start streaming I'd like to know which of the 3 apps are lacking in order to decide which streaming device to buy.

TIA
The built in Apps work fine on the Sony and most other TV brands. I own & mostly use an AppleTV 4K or Roku Ultra or FireTV 4K stick on my two DolbyVision TVs. The main issue with TV Apps is that the built in processor and the Screen interface generally is slow switching/surfing between items. Once a program/movie starts all are transmitted at the same bit rate aka image quality.
acidrock69 likes this.
naustin is online now  
post #9592 of 10346 Old 09-25-2019, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 159
In my experience some internal apps are fine and others are not. Try using the Sunday Ticket app on Android—it stutters and lags like crazy. There’s a few others that I use that have issues so I’m using an Apple TV 4K now which is a fantastic device. I will sometimes use the internal Netflix or YouTube app but that’s about it. Usually end up using the Apple TV. My bedroom TV which is a TCL R617 has the roku TV and it works perfectly for everything I use compared to my Sony.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
acidrock69 likes this.
acphydro is offline  
post #9593 of 10346 Old 09-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyubohar View Post
I have the same experience - apps on TV are equal or better than ones I have on my FireTV. Too bad my FireTV never freezes or restarts, so I'm using it instead of the TV apps
I rarely experience freezes on the Sony TV but they have happened. I think part of the reason the Roku and maybe your FireTV don't freeze regularly is they get rebooted more often, if plugged into the TVs USB port they shutdown and reboot every time the TV goes into and comes out of standby, so the reboot is kind of hidden from the user.

And yes I know my Premier+ doesn't use USB power but my sticks do.
acidrock69 and lyubohar like this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #9594 of 10346 Old 09-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
acidrock69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks, guys. Man, now it's really bugging me what I was reading about in this thread months back. I could have sworn people weren't please with the video quality of the Netflix and possibly Amazon app. Maybe the Dolby Vision? My Denon is currently plugged into HDMI 2 so maybe I'll try HDMI 3 for ARC and do some testing. I haven't upgraded to Netflix 4K yet so limited testing for that at the moment.

TV: Sony 85" x900F
Receiver: Denon AVR-X8500H
Blu-Ray: OPPO UDP-203
Media Players: Dune HD Duo 4K and Zidoo Z9S
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 7.2.4
acidrock69 is offline  
post #9595 of 10346 Old 09-25-2019, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I believe you are remembering DV issues. The Sony X900F was one of their first sets to be implemented with DV, and it had a few hiccups.

Internal vs. External apps just depends. Overall, who could argue that a TV's internal apps hold up when compared to a discreet player such as an Apple TV 4K or an Nvidia shield - those are $200+ devices with fairly powerful processors and customization, not to mention support both officially and from the internet. That said, some apps, such as Netflix, are so widely-used that the developers have done a great job building and optimizing them, so they should work just fine on the X900F despite its relatively weak processor. Other apps, such as NFL's Sunday Ticket, probably aren't as refined as far as their build/programming, so they might be power hungry and have hiccups on the X900F. Newer TV's are being shipped with more powerful processors (for the computer, not the image) so this gap might narrow. But yeah, with the X900E/F in particular, as well as some other brands.. an external app device can go a long way at times.
acidrock69 and naustin like this.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
post #9596 of 10346 Old 09-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
hiperco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: "Greater Binghamton Area"
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 120
So what's the bottom line/latest with DV and onboard apps (Netflix, Amazon). Have the bugs been worked out?
hiperco is online now  
post #9597 of 10346 Old 09-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
bmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California Gold Country
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 167
There are advantages & disadvantages to both local Apps and streaming device Apps.

Local Apps have the advantage of ‘short path’, that is they don’t require your HDMI cable to pass 4K/HDR/DV, nor are they limited by the particular HDMI port that device is plugged into; the same if your trying to keep the signal intact through an SSP or AVR on the way to your TV. The local Apps could also be ‘tweaked’ for the individual TV, but as has been mentioned, they’re probably using common code most of the time; and you pay for the local Apps when you buy your TV (so they’re kind of free). The disadvantages are that if you want the best surround sound (DD+ etc.) or immersive audio (Atmos / DTS:X) you need to get ARC working properly, which may not be trivial. You also loose any OSD or other UI features your SSP/AVR might have.

Streaming boxes have the advantage of a common user interface for a variety of Apps, and likely a larger selection of Apps, also the platform lives and dies by its ability to give you the best features the source can deliver (whereas a SmartTV’s main purpose is still to deliver a good picture); there could be advantages to using a box that’s part of your home’s ecosystem too (eg ATV). You can also take advantage of a direct HDMI connection to an SSP/AVR for the best possible sound (without ARC), as well as OSD or other common UI features, and you can use a single/best HDMI connection into the TV, which could also make placement/setup/cabling your system easier. The disadvantages are primarily getting a good signal to your TV, you now have to go through one or two HDMI cables and possibly an SSP/AVR, much opportunity for the signal to be degraded (4K/60/HDR/DV can require up to 18 Gbps). Of course you usually have to buy a streaming box.

For me the advantages of a streaming box (ATV4K) and running though my SSP are too compelling, but I wouldn’t expect this to be the case for everyone.
Cheddarhead likes this.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
bmcleod is online now  
post #9598 of 10346 Old 09-25-2019, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
There are advantages & disadvantages to both local Apps and streaming device Apps.

Local Apps have the advantage of ‘short path’, that is they don’t require your HDMI cable to pass 4K/HDR/DV, nor are they limited by the particular HDMI port that device is plugged into; the same if your trying to keep the signal intact through an SSP or AVR on the way to your TV. The local Apps could also be ‘tweaked’ for the individual TV, but as has been mentioned, they’re probably using common code most of the time; and you pay for the local Apps when you buy your TV (so they’re kind of free). The disadvantages are that if you want the best surround sound (DD+ etc.) or immersive audio (Atmos / DTS:X) you need to get ARC working properly, which may not be trivial. You also loose any OSD or other UI features your SSP/AVR might have.

Streaming boxes have the advantage of a common user interface for a variety of Apps, and likely a larger selection of Apps, also the platform lives and dies by its ability to give you the best features the source can deliver (whereas a SmartTV’s main purpose is still to deliver a good picture); there could be advantages to using a box that’s part of your home’s ecosystem too (eg ATV). You can also take advantage of a direct HDMI connection to an SSP/AVR for the best possible sound (without ARC), as well as OSD or other common UI features, and you can use a single/best HDMI connection into the TV, which could also make placement/setup/cabling your system easier. The disadvantages are primarily getting a good signal to your TV, you now have to go through one or two HDMI cables and possibly an SSP/AVR, much opportunity for the signal to be degraded (4K/60/HDR/DV can require up to 18 Gbps). Of course you usually have to buy a streaming box.

For me the advantages of a streaming box (ATV4K) and running though my SSP are too compelling, but I wouldn’t expect this to be the case for everyone.
Everything @bmcleod said except for me having my 900e support Android allows me to eliminate external devices which I really like, so I use the 900e as my streaming source. All the streaming providers that I consider necessary have released good to excellent clients for the AndroidTV platform. Plus the standard interface thing goes away once you actually open most apps. As @bmcleod indicated YMMV.
bmcleod likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #9599 of 10346 Old 09-25-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gtgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 162
You can not rely on most external devices to produce bit perfect signals, unfortunately. Even the vaunted ATV4 does not produce bit perfect reference quality. Further you often have issues with with recognition and proper conversion of color space, gamut , levels, and the nearly inevitable errors that occur when the TV makes RGB and Cb/Pb Cr/Pr conversions. Internal apps eliminate the vast majority of these issues.. These kinds of problems are not always the fault of the the external device. But the vast majority are either the external device or the handling of the external by the TV.

Sony 85X900f, - Samsung 78" JS8600 Ascend Sierra 2s, Radiance XS, Martin Logan Motion 40s
gtgray is offline  
post #9600 of 10346 Old 09-26-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,379
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock69 View Post
Thanks, guys. Man, now it's really bugging me what I was reading about in this thread months back. I could have sworn people weren't please with the video quality of the Netflix and possibly Amazon app. Maybe the Dolby Vision? My Denon is currently plugged into HDMI 2 so maybe I'll try HDMI 3 for ARC and do some testing. I haven't upgraded to Netflix 4K yet so limited testing for that at the moment.
***I have both the Sony 900E and Sony 900F. Without question, in my mind, the internal Sony apps provide a clearer, more pristine picture on BOTH sets compared to my Roku Ultra. The only I time I use my Roku Ultra is for Dolby Vision content with my 900F as DV is garbage, IMHO.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off