2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 321 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4533Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9601 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
On my 85X900F I can't figure out how to see what resolution a cable or streaming program/movie is being TRANSMITTED and what resolution the TV is playing the signal received? If I push the remote "DISPLAY" button it always shows 1080p in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Problem is that's ALL it ever shows. I played a Netflix program last night that showed it was 4k/UHD per right next to the title in Netflix. When I played it and pushed the remote DISPLAY button it showed 1080p. Are these programs playing in 4k/UHD even thought the DISPLAY shows 1080p.

1. How do I get the TV to tell/show me what it's actually putting on the screen?

2. Is there a way to see what resolution the program is: a) actually broadcast/streamed at and; b) what the TV is doing with the signal (i.e., upscaling or downscaling or leaving as received) and displaying?
rikhek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9602 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
hiperco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: "Greater Binghamton Area"
Posts: 807
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
The only I time I use my Roku Ultra is for Dolby Vision content with my 900F as DV is garbage, IMHO.
I can't seem to find anything definitive regarding DV support on Roku models. So from what you've stated DV is supported on the (new model?) Roku Ultra?
hiperco is online now  
post #9603 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhek View Post
On my 85X900F I can't figure out how to see what resolution a cable or streaming program/movie is being TRANSMITTED and what resolution the TV is playing the signal received? If I push the remote "DISPLAY" button it always shows 1080p in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Problem is that's ALL it ever shows. I played a Netflix program last night that showed it was 4k/UHD per right next to the title in Netflix. When I played it and pushed the remote DISPLAY button it showed 1080p. Are these programs playing in 4k/UHD even thought the DISPLAY shows 1080p.

1. How do I get the TV to tell/show me what it's actually putting on the screen?

2. Is there a way to see what resolution the program is: a) actually broadcast/streamed at and; b) what the TV is doing with the signal (i.e., upscaling or downscaling or leaving as received) and displaying?
1. Do you subscribe to the Netflix package that includes 4K?

2. Are you sure that your internet connection has sufficient bandwidth for a 4K movie?

3. What device are you using to stream the content?

4. Is your HDMI cable sufficient?

5. Are you passing through an AVR or switch that is not 4K capable?

6. If you're using an external device, have you enabled "Enhanced HDMI" for the HDMI port being used?

7. Is the image displayed true 4K or is it upscaled 1080P? It shouldn't be very hard to tell.

AFAIK, hitting Display on the remote will tell you what signal the TV is receiving. The TV always "displays" a 4K image.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9604 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,386
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
I can't seem to find anything definitive regarding DV support on Roku models. So from what you've stated DV is supported on the (new model?) Roku Ultra?
***Sorry - my mistake. I should have been clearer. The reason I use my Roku Ultra with my Sony 900F is that DV is NOT available on Roku - thus it defaults to HDR. For Netflix content that is Dolby Vision only, the Roku will default to HDR. The HDR picture looks much better than any DV picture I've seen on my Sony 900F.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is online now  
post #9605 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
So, you're saying that you like the way your Roku displays DV Netflix content (because it ignores DV) more than the way your TV's internal Netflix app displays the DV Netflix content (because DV seems poor)?

People say that Sony's DV use is a bit specific, and that it works best with Sony DV sources such as their Bluray players. That said, I'm pretty sure I've read that the Sony TV's play well with the Apple TV 4K regarding DV content as well.. I could be wrong though. I'm surprised the internal app is lack-luster w.r.t. DV, and I wonder if processing power of the X900F is the culprit?

Surely, anything that Netflix has in DV, it also has in HDR10, right?

I believe you can change the type of HDR displayed via the TV's settings. I wonder if you switched it from "Auto" to whatever option restricts to "regular HDR" (probably HDR10?) so that it would show you "regular HDR" instead of DV when using the internal Netflix app. In that case, I wonder how the image would compare to the Roku.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
post #9606 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
1. Do you subscribe to the Netflix package that includes 4K?

2. Are you sure that your internet connection has sufficient bandwidth for a 4K movie?

3. What device are you using to stream the content?

4. Is your HDMI cable sufficient?

5. Are you passing through an AVR or switch that is not 4K capable?

6. If you're using an external device, have you enabled "Enhanced HDMI" for the HDMI port being used?

7. Is the image displayed true 4K or is it upscaled 1080P? It shouldn't be very hard to tell.

AFAIK, hitting Display on the remote will tell you what signal the TV is receiving. The TV always "displays" a 4K image.
1. Do you subscribe to the Netflix package that includes 4K?- No. Iguess this answers my 4k Netflix question.

2. Are you sure that your internet connection has sufficient bandwidth for a 4K movie? I don't know what's required or how much I have nor do I know how to find out.

3. What device are you using to stream the content? - External Roku and the internal apps.

4. Is your HDMI cable sufficient? - I'm using a HIGH speed cable.

5. Are you passing through an AVR or switch that is not 4K capable? - Yes. Sony STR-DN840

6. If you're using an external device, have you enabled "Enhanced HDMI" for the HDMI port being used? - I don't know but will check this evening.

7. Is the image displayed true 4K or is it upscaled 1080P? It shouldn't be very hard to tell. Understood but like being able to verify.
rikhek is offline  
post #9607 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
bmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California Gold Country
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhek View Post
On my 85X900F I can't figure out how to see what resolution a cable or streaming program/movie is being TRANSMITTED and what resolution the TV is playing the signal received? If I push the remote "DISPLAY" button it always shows 1080p in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Problem is that's ALL it ever shows. I played a Netflix program last night that showed it was 4k/UHD per right next to the title in Netflix. When I played it and pushed the remote DISPLAY button it showed 1080p. Are these programs playing in 4k/UHD even thought the DISPLAY shows 1080p.

1. How do I get the TV to tell/show me what it's actually putting on the screen?

2. Is there a way to see what resolution the program is: a) actually broadcast/streamed at and; b) what the TV is doing with the signal (i.e., upscaling or downscaling or leaving as received) and displaying?
The TV is always displaying 2160P/4K, and upscaling anything that comes in less than that. On my Harmony remote hitting ‘Info’ shows the incoming resolution at the top of the screen, I think it’s called ‘Display’ on the Sony remote.

Edit: I have a slow internet connection (6 Mbps steady that bursts to a screaming 10 Mbps), I’ve found that I can stream 4K Prime with that speed. What I like most about their 4K content is the Atmos soundtrack that often comes with it, 4K “Carnival Row” for instance has excellent sound (especially episode 6). So that’s probably about the slowest you can get away with for Prime (and they don’t charge extra for 4K), Netflix specifies 15 Mbps so I don’t subscribe to 4K there.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1

Last edited by bmcleod; 09-26-2019 at 03:55 PM.
bmcleod is offline  
post #9608 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhek View Post
1. Do you subscribe to the Netflix package that includes 4K?- No. Iguess this answers my 4k Netflix question.

2. Are you sure that your internet connection has sufficient bandwidth for a 4K movie? I don't know what's required or how much I have nor do I know how to find out.

3. What device are you using to stream the content? - External Roku and the internal apps.

4. Is your HDMI cable sufficient? - I'm using a HIGH speed cable.

5. Are you passing through an AVR or switch that is not 4K capable? - Yes. Sony STR-DN840

6. If you're using an external device, have you enabled "Enhanced HDMI" for the HDMI port being used? - I don't know but will check this evening.

7. Is the image displayed true 4K or is it upscaled 1080P? It shouldn't be very hard to tell. Understood but like being able to verify.
Do you know what kind of internet package/speed you have. Most internet in urban areas is fast enough these days, but some out in the sticks still have to use satellite internet, etc.. which might struggle. If you have something like 100Mbps internet, you're fine there.

For the Roku, if you want 4K you'll have to make sure that your Roku is a 4K Roku player.. not all of them are. But yes, obviously using an internal app will ensure 4K capability. This also eliminates the possibility of cable issues. Internal apps are where I'd start if you're just trying to get to the bottom of the display info issue.

You might also need a new cable for external 4K devices. But yours might be OK. I'd check this last as it's pointless to buy a cable for nothing. I believe today's key buzz word is "certified Premium" when it comes to HDMI cables. "High Speed" HDMI came around with 1080p, and is designed to be fool-proof with 1080p stuff. It can handle some 4K, maybe, but probably not with HDR. If you're planning on watching 4K content, I recommend upgrading to a "Premium High Speed" HDMI cable which will have the little sticker on the package.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS

Last edited by p3trol_h3ad; 09-26-2019 at 01:22 PM.
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
post #9609 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
I can't seem to find anything definitive regarding DV support on Roku models. So from what you've stated DV is supported on the (new model?) Roku Ultra?
With one small exception none of the EXTERNAL Roku streaming devices support DV, Roku refuses to pay the licensing fee to enable DV. Several Roku TVs support DV but in that case the TV manufacturer has paid the licensing fee.


I say small exception because rumor has it there was one version of the Ultra that sold for a short time that supported DV but was quickly pulled.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #9610 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,965
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6873 Post(s)
Liked: 6870
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyubohar View Post
I have the same experience - apps on TV are equal or better than ones I have on my FireTV. Too bad my FireTV never freezes or restarts, so I'm using it instead of the TV apps
Wow, I have to unplug mine every once in a while......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhek View Post
4. Is your HDMI cable sufficient? - I'm using a HIGH speed cable.
Does your cable carry the badge below?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	2620302  
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #9611 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Wow, I have to unplug mine every once in a while......

Does your cable carry the badge below?
No, right now I have a "High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet" I got from my company's IT department.

I just went down to their offices and got a "Premium High Speed Cable with Ethernet" which I'll install tonight. I thought the HDMI cable was satisfactory as long as your TV displayed a picture?

Will the Premium cable "with Ethernet" I just went and got be adequate?
rikhek is offline  
post #9612 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
bmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California Gold Country
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhek View Post
No, right now I have a "High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet" I got from my company's IT department.

I just went down to their offices and got a "Premium High Speed Cable with Ethernet" which I'll install tonight. I thought the HDMI cable was satisfactory as long as your TV displayed a picture?

Will the Premium cable "with Ethernet" I just went and got be adequate?
“Premium” is the right word, but the certificate that Cleveland Plasma posted is a better indication of probable success. To get 4K with HDR or DV, you need a better/faster cable, so just getting a picture is no longer the benchmark. First you have to know your source is sending a 4K signal, then the 900F has to show you it’s receiving one (2160p when you hit display); which is all to say ‘it might work’.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
bmcleod is offline  
post #9613 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
bmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California Gold Country
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
...
People say that Sony's DV use is a bit specific, and that it works best with Sony DV sources such as their Bluray players. That said, I'm pretty sure I've read that the Sony TV's play well with the Apple TV 4K regarding DV content as well.. I could be wrong though. I'm surprised the internal app is lack-luster w.r.t. DV, and I wonder if processing power of the X900F is the culprit?
...
It’s true that Sony’s DV implementation is unique/specific and requires a compatible source, you’re also correct the AppleTV4K is compatible and will send DV to the Sony. The Oppo 203/205 UHD players are also compatible (with the correct firmware), both playing UHD/DV disks, or playing 4K/DV files through USB or network sources.
p3trol_h3ad likes this.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
bmcleod is offline  
post #9614 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 06:39 PM
Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
The TV is always displaying 2160P/4K, and upscaling anything that comes in less than that. On my Harmony remote hitting ‘Info’ shows the incoming resolution at the top of the screen, I think it’s called ‘Display’ on the Sony remote.

Edit: I have a slow internet connection (6 Mbps steady that bursts to a screaming 10 Mbps), I’ve found that I can stream 4K Prime with that speed. What I like most about their 4K content is the Atmos soundtrack that often comes with it, 4K “Carnival Row” for instance has excellent sound (especially episode 6). So that’s probably about the slowest you can get away with for Prime (and they don’t charge extra for 4K), Netflix specifies 15 Mbps so I don’t subscribe to 4K there.
Excellent explanation and greatly appreciated. I'm guessing everything, or nearly everything, I'm sending to TV is 1080p. I've only observed "1080p HD" on the TV display when I push DISPLAY on the remote and I've checked on just about everything I've watched. I didn't realize the set was always upscaling everything I send it to 4k/UHD other than a "true" 4k/UHD signal/source. Great piece of educational info.

Thanks.

Rick

P.S. Guys, it's refreshing coming onto a forum and having mature people willing to help somebody who is ignorant, but not stupid. I can take and enjoy a little ribbing at my expense but some technical forums are just brutal. I learn a great deal every time I browse this site thanks to you all (i.e., y'all in Okie).
bmcleod and p3trol_h3ad like this.
rikhek is offline  
post #9615 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 07:03 PM
Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Do you know what kind of internet package/speed you have. Most internet in urban areas is fast enough these days, but some out in the sticks still have to use satellite internet, etc.. which might struggle. If you have something like 100Mbps internet, you're fine there.

For the Roku, if you want 4K you'll have to make sure that your Roku is a 4K Roku player.. not all of them are. But yes, obviously using an internal app will ensure 4K capability. This also eliminates the possibility of cable issues. Internal apps are where I'd start if you're just trying to get to the bottom of the display info issue.

You might also need a new cable for external 4K devices. But yours might be OK. I'd check this last as it's pointless to buy a cable for nothing. I believe today's key buzz word is "certified Premium" when it comes to HDMI cables. "High Speed" HDMI came around with 1080p, and is designed to be fool-proof with 1080p stuff. It can handle some 4K, maybe, but probably not with HDR. If you're planning on watching 4K content, I recommend upgrading to a "Premium High Speed" HDMI cable which will have the little sticker on the package.
I have a 150 mbps internet package.

I'm quite certain my external Roku is too old to have 4k capability but I'll look it up. I have the internal apps for now.

I brought a PREMIUM High Speed cable home from work to replace my HIGH Speed cable.

THANKS!
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
rikhek is offline  
post #9616 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 07:11 PM
Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Previously asked and answered:

5. Are you passing through an AVR or switch that is not 4K capable? - Yes. Sony STR-DN840

6. If you're using an external device, have you enabled "Enhanced HDMI" for the HDMI port being used? - I don't know but will check this evening.

I'm checked and can't find an "Enhanced HDMI" option. I'm thinking this setting is supposed to be on my AVR and not the TV HDMI input port I'm going into? I checked my Sony STR-DN840 AVR and if it's there I couldn't find it. It has a HDMI settings option screen but there's nothing remotely similar offered.

Last edited by rikhek; 09-26-2019 at 07:21 PM.
rikhek is offline  
post #9617 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
bmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California Gold Country
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhek View Post
Previously asked and answered:

5. Are you passing through an AVR or switch that is not 4K capable? - Yes. Sony STR-DN840

6. If you're using an external device, have you enabled "Enhanced HDMI" for the HDMI port being used? - I don't know but will check this evening.

I'm checked and can't find an "Enhanced HDMI" option. I'm thinking this setting is supposed to be on my AVR and not the TV HDMI input port I'm going into? I checked my Sony STR-DN840 AVR and if it's there I couldn't find it. It has a HDMI settings option screen but there's nothing remotely similar offered.
So I finally looked up your Sony model, though it does say it passes 4K, it says nothing about HDR or DV. Since it seems to be a 2014 model, it’s very unlikely it can pass any form of HDR (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG). To get the best performance FROM A 4K/HDR SOURCE you should probably try to run them directly into the 900F, HD sources or older 4K non-HDR sources could continue to run through the AVR. This means you’ll also have to get ARC working to get the best sound (not always easy). Since we're not sure you have any external 4K sources yet this may not be a problem, but it’s something to be aware of (along with the new cables you’re going to try).

Edit: This actually means that your new cable probably won’t make any difference, because a high speed cable can pass 4K, it just can’t do 4K/HDR. It’s good you have the cable should you get a 4K/HDR source, but it’s not likely to change anything for now.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1

Last edited by bmcleod; 09-26-2019 at 10:22 PM.
bmcleod is offline  
post #9618 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,156
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
With one small exception none of the EXTERNAL Roku streaming devices support DV, Roku refuses to pay the licensing fee to enable DV. Several Roku TVs support DV but in that case the TV manufacturer has paid the licensing fee.


I say small exception because rumor has it there was one version of the Ultra that sold for a short time that supported DV but was quickly pulled.
You are correct.

The rumor is actually a misconception. The first generation Roku Ultra had a Dolby licensed DD+ transcoder, so DD+ content could be passed in DD or bitstream. The second gen Ultra dropped that Dolby license and just does audio pass through.
naustin is offline  
post #9619 of 10458 Old 09-26-2019, 11:50 PM
Senior Member
 
sschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
So, you're saying that you like the way your Roku displays DV Netflix content (because it ignores DV) more than the way your TV's internal Netflix app displays the DV Netflix content (because DV seems poor)?

People say that Sony's DV use is a bit specific, and that it works best with Sony DV sources such as their Bluray players. That said, I'm pretty sure I've read that the Sony TV's play well with the Apple TV 4K regarding DV content as well.. I could be wrong though. I'm surprised the internal app is lack-luster w.r.t. DV, and I wonder if processing power of the X900F is the culprit?

Surely, anything that Netflix has in DV, it also has in HDR10, right?

I believe you can change the type of HDR displayed via the TV's settings. I wonder if you switched it from "Auto" to whatever option restricts to "regular HDR" (probably HDR10?) so that it would show you "regular HDR" instead of DV when using the internal Netflix app. In that case, I wonder how the image would compare to the Roku.
Do you or does anyone know where about I can disable DV on the Sony TV? Right or wrong, I don't like how the TV displays DV content. The color just seems dull and lifeless to me
sschen is offline  
post #9620 of 10458 Old 09-27-2019, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
mhyatt5871's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschen View Post
Do you or does anyone know where about I can disable DV on the Sony TV? Right or wrong, I don't like how the TV displays DV content. The color just seems dull and lifeless to me

I don't think you can disable Dolby Vision on the TV. The best thing you can do is use an external streaming device or 4K Blu-ray player that only supports HDR10 or that lets you disable Dolby Vision. A lot of Roku devices only support HDR10, as do a lot of 4K Blu ray players.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
mhyatt5871 is offline  
post #9621 of 10458 Old 09-27-2019, 10:18 AM
Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
So I finally looked up your Sony model, though it does say it passes 4K, it says nothing about HDR or DV. Since it seems to be a 2014 model, it’s very unlikely it can pass any form of HDR (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG). To get the best performance FROM A 4K/HDR SOURCE you should probably try to run them directly into the 900F, HD sources or older 4K non-HDR sources could continue to run through the AVR. This means you’ll also have to get ARC working to get the best sound (not always easy). Since we're not sure you have any external 4K sources yet this may not be a problem, but it’s something to be aware of (along with the new cables you’re going to try).

Edit: This actually means that your new cable probably won’t make any difference, because a high speed cable can pass 4K, it just can’t do 4K/HDR. It’s good you have the cable should you get a 4K/HDR source, but it’s not likely to change anything for now.
Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.
bmcleod likes this.
rikhek is offline  
post #9622 of 10458 Old 09-27-2019, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhek View Post
P.S. Guys, it's refreshing coming onto a forum and having mature people willing to help somebody who is ignorant, but not stupid. I can take and enjoy a little ribbing at my expense but some technical forums are just brutal. I learn a great deal every time I browse this site thanks to you all (i.e., y'all in Okie).
eh.. you caught us on a good day.

By the way, the "enhanced HDMI" option I was referring to is actually a setting on the TV. OK... so first of all, the X900F actually only has two full-speed.. let's call them "premium" HDMI ports that are fully capable, and then another two "high-speed" HDMI ports that can still do 4K, but not with all the fancy extras (HDR, highest color depth, higher frame rates, etc.). The full speed "premium" ports are ports 2 and 3. So this means that you'll want to use ports 2 and 3 before any other ports. I suggest using whatever port is marked "ARC" for the HDMI cable that comes from your AVR. Then you'll go into the TV's settings -> Picture Settings -> Somewhere in there.. forgive me I can't remember exactly where.. you'll find a setting that refers to HDMI Enhanced blah blah.. and that is where you can tell the HDMI port to act as "enhanced" and not "standard." Why Sony didn't automatically set the two full-speed ports to enhanced is beyond me.. but that's just how they do it.

As far as the AVR goes for passing through HDR.. I can't comment there. It *might* just work if you're lucky.. it might not. A simple test will let you know once you get all of the other kinks worked out. If it does not pass through HDR and that is something you wish to view from an external device, then you'd simply need to adjust the chain of cabling you've set up. You would instead send your 4K HDR source directly to the TV, but then get sound back to the AVR for that source via ARC or Toslink cable. If that's the route you go, we'll be happy to help.

Any other questions just let us know!
bmcleod likes this.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS

Last edited by p3trol_h3ad; 09-27-2019 at 10:50 AM.
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
post #9623 of 10458 Old 09-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
I don't think you can disable Dolby Vision on the TV. The best thing you can do is use an external streaming device or 4K Blu-ray player that only supports HDR10 or that lets you disable Dolby Vision. A lot of Roku devices only support HDR10, as do a lot of 4K Blu ray players.
I haven't really looked into it, but isn't there an option in the TV for "HDR Type" or something like that? I want to say it's set to Auto by default. I've never looked at the options, but if you changed the option to, say, HDR10.. wouldn't that effectively disable DV?

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
post #9624 of 10458 Old 09-27-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
eh.. you caught us on a good day.

By the way, the "enhanced HDMI" option I was referring to is actually a setting on the TV. OK... so first of all, the X900F actually only has two full-speed.. let's call them "premium" HDMI ports that are fully capable, and then another two "high-speed" HDMI ports that can still do 4K, but not with all the fancy extras (HDR, highest color depth, higher frame rates, etc.).
One small correction Ports 1/4 will support HDR/DV at up to 60fps so long as you are not using 4:4:4 color depth so they are appropriate for connection to any cable/satellite STB, streamers, and your UHD Bluray player. It is very rare to run across a streamer that will play 60FPS with 4:4:4 deep color enabled and only one UHD movie does this.

The real issue is bandwidth not protocol, Ports 1/4 support up to 10.2Gbps while Ports 2/3 in enhanced mode go up to 18Gbps
.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #9625 of 10458 Old 09-27-2019, 01:27 PM
NTC
Senior Member
 
NTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alabama, USA
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
I haven't really looked into it, but isn't there an option in the TV for "HDR Type" or something like that? I want to say it's set to Auto by default. I've never looked at the options, but if you changed the option to, say, HDR10.. wouldn't that effectively disable DV?

With internal apps, it will not stop DV picture mode from being played (been there, done that), DV will be enabled. Haven't experimented with HDMI connections.
NTC is offline  
post #9626 of 10458 Old 09-27-2019, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
bmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California Gold Country
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
One small correction Ports 1/4 will support HDR/DV at up to 60fps so long as you are not using 4:4:4 color depth so they are appropriate for connection to any cable/satellite STB, streamers, and your UHD Bluray player. It is very rare to run across a streamer that will play 60FPS with 4:4:4 deep color enabled and only one UHD movie does this.

The real issue is bandwidth not protocol, Ports 1/4 support up to 10.2Gbps while Ports 2/3 in enhanced mode go up to 18Gbps
.
Unless you’re playing 4K/60/HDR/DV files through your UHD/Blu-ray player.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
bmcleod is offline  
post #9627 of 10458 Old 09-28-2019, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
Unless you’re playing 4K/60/HDR/DV files through your UHD/Blu-ray player.
Unless you are running an OPPO wouldn't be easier to use an app on your Android TV to play your local files? Plus how many 4K/60/HDR 4:4:4 files are out there?

Last edited by Cheddarhead; 09-28-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #9628 of 10458 Old 09-29-2019, 12:26 AM
Senior Member
 
bmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California Gold Country
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Unless you are running an OPPO wouldn't be easier to use an app on your Android TV to play your local files? Plus how many 4K/60/HDR 4:4:4 files are out there?
I find my Oppo’s menu system pretty intuitive and it gives good information about the files, the USB port is also easier for me to access. I’ve started a collection of various demo files mostly downloaded from 4KMedia.org and keep them on a Flash drive, I do sometimes play them directly from the TV to see how they look there, then move them to the Oppo which I find easier and allows me to test the whole signal path.

I can play SDR/HDR10/DV/HLG and see what my equipment reports along the way, and that they’re all being passed: Oppo —cable—> SSP —cable—> 900F. I can also play most of them from my Mac mini, through InFuse on the ATV4K. The 4K/60/DV demo (besides having good picture and sound) is a good indicator that all is working well. I even sometimes use them as trailers when I have a movie night or matinee with friends.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
bmcleod is offline  
post #9629 of 10458 Old 09-30-2019, 06:33 AM
Senior Member
 
mhyatt5871's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
I haven't really looked into it, but isn't there an option in the TV for "HDR Type" or something like that? I want to say it's set to Auto by default. I've never looked at the options, but if you changed the option to, say, HDR10.. wouldn't that effectively disable DV?

Yes, but you want to leave that on Auto. Changing that will force HDR/Dolby Vision color settings on everything you watch, making content look terrible.
p3trol_h3ad likes this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
mhyatt5871 is offline  
post #9630 of 10458 Old 09-30-2019, 02:42 PM
Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I like rotating thru the various Picture Modes to see what they all look like with my customized settings on various feeds and programs. I take serious issue with having to go thru 3 or 4 screens along with the very lagging and slow response of the remote control to access this feature. Am I missing something. I'm surprised there isn't a rocker switch to scroll thru the various Picture Modes such as Standard, Custom, Cinema Pro, Home Pro, etc.

Is there a way to program the colored A, B, C and D buttons to assign and/or scroll thru the picture modes rather than accessing the buried menu selection? Is there ANY easy way to access the Picture modes in ANY manner?

My Sony AVR remote has a rocker switch to toggle thru the various Sound Field settings without accessing any menus. I'm surprised I haven't found this option on the 900F?

Seems nonsensical that Sony sells a $3,500 TV without a manual describing the TV's features, options and settings. I'm guessing there are about 50 different setting in the menus I've no clue what they do or how they function. Stupidity as the Sony wqebsite doesn't even tell what everything does and how it does it. How is a person supposed to know what to enable and/or disable and/or modify if you can't even read about what the features do!?!?!?!?!?

FWIW, I'm familiar with the aftermarket remote controls but am seeking help specific to the garbage Sony remote.
rikhek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off