2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 330 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4687Likes

post #9871 of 10969 Old 11-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzo1980 View Post
Looks like I will be getting the TV on Nov 8, if anything changes, I will post.
You aren't going to wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9872 of 10969 Old 11-01-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzo1980 View Post
Looks like I will be getting the TV on Nov 8, if anything changes, I will post.
You aren't going to wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday?
There is no need to wait if he gets it at BB, they've said they'll price match if it goes down black Friday. It's a scorcher of a deal. I got mine no waiting.
post #9873 of 10969 Old 11-01-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
There is no need to wait if he gets it at BB, they've said they'll price match if it goes down black Friday. It's a scorcher of a deal. I got mine no waiting.
Unfortunately, BB charges for delivery and their extended 5 year warranty is twice as expensive as several online competitors. If BB would price match for shipping/warranty, I would buy from them today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9874 of 10969 Old 11-01-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, BB charges for delivery and their extended 5 year warranty is twice as expensive as several online competitors. If BB would price match for shipping/warranty, I would buy from them today.
BB delivered my 85" for free plus hauled off the old one. Yeah I didn't bite on the five year, opting instead on the two year, figuring if no problems in two years I'm golden.
I did something else that might prove useful, I bought the Total Tech plan @199.99 which covers chat, phone troubleshooting for all your in home electronics regardless if you bought there or not. That took $100 bucks off the Geek Squad install and 20% off the two year warranty plan. I can cancel next year if it doesn't prove useful.
post #9875 of 10969 Old 11-01-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
BB delivered my 85" for free plus hauled off the old one. Yeah I didn't bite on the five year, opting instead on the two year, figuring if no problems in two years I'm golden.
I did something else that might prove useful, I bought the Total Tech plan @199.99 which covers chat, phone troubleshooting for all your in home electronics regardless if you bought there or not. That took $100 bucks off the Geek Squad install and 20% off the two year warranty plan. I can cancel next year if it doesn't prove useful.
I`m already a geek so I don't need the BB bells and whistles, but that makes sense for anyone who isn't interested in dealing with install issues.

I just pushed the button with ABT in Illinois. They agreed to a Black Friday/Cyber Monday price match, Sonos mount, free shipping, no tax, 5-year warranty, at a price BB cant come close to matching. Delivery scheduled for next Friday.

Last edited by Ken McPherson; 11-01-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #9876 of 10969 Old 11-02-2019, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 32
How do I know that my Sony 900f is showing a movie in Dolby Vision?
post #9877 of 10969 Old 11-02-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
While playing, go to TV's "picture adjustment." First window will display HDR or DV at the top.
post #9878 of 10969 Old 11-02-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I was not charged for delivery and they priced matched Costco warranty. I am in Canada and I have been dealing with the same sales guy for 5 years now.

As others mentioned, no need to wait.
post #9879 of 10969 Old 11-02-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyubohar View Post
Yes, 2.4Ghz it's slower - that's why 5Ghz was introduced But it's more stable and 33mbps should be enough for 4K streaming.

That is true. The TV stumbled only on one animated 4k movie which has its video encoded at 78.3Mbps. That was the only reason I found the limitations of the 5G band on the TV. I will hang on to my Nvidia Shield when I run into such situations. I assume the bitrates will only go up in the future, unless they keep coming up with more efficient codecs.

Thanks everyone for your help with this. I still love my TV!
lyubohar likes this.

Sony XBR-55X900F | Xfinity Cable Box | Nvidia Shield TV | Roku 3 | Oppo DV-980H | Sony PS3
post #9880 of 10969 Old 11-02-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
***See answers below - multiple choice:

1. You will get a call from Sony advising you that you are watching Dolby Vision!
2. You will get a text message from Sony advising you that you are watching Dolby Vision!
3. A dull, dark, lifeless picture.
4. Your TV will "light up" on the side (flashing "DV" for a couple of seconds)
5. Some of these
6. None of these
7. All of these

Note: the last three choices were from a mind blowing professor I had in college.

All kidding aside - if you are watching DV via Amazon Prime or Netflix, you should be able to pause the picture and see what the stream is.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #9881 of 10969 Old 11-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Diagnostics menu

I have recently bought a new x900f. It makes a great picture! It replaces a 12 year old Sony XBR2. On the old set in the menu section, you could call up a "Diagnostics" screen for RF channels. This screen would show you the channel #, frequency and signal level. I've been searching the menus on the new set. But, I don't see anything similar. Does this screen no longer exist on this new set? Or, am I overlooking something? TIA!

Last edited by Vidop; 11-02-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spelling
post #9882 of 10969 Old 11-02-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7032 Post(s)
Liked: 7066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post
That's why I chose the word small. I do wonder if they may be trying to finally end the 900f by the end of the year? Would they tell retailers by now if that was the plan or do they like to keep that kind of thing mum?
I would think at this point the 900F would not be around, guess we will see.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothbutter View Post
I know were not suppose to talk about prices, but is the 900f 85 inch at $3000 worth it over the x850g 85 inch for $2300?
Going from Edge lit to FALD..............Yes !
post #9883 of 10969 Old 11-02-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I got my x900f two weeks ago at BB. Last week, their price dropped $100. Today, I checked with them and they gave me the $100 (plus tax amount) back and said if it goes down further, to let them know. This offer extends (for my purchase) to Black Friday.

Just FYI.
post #9884 of 10969 Old 11-02-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I would think at this point the 900F would not be around, guess we will see.......

Going from Edge lit to FALD..............Yes !
IIRC X850G 85" is Direct-lit backlighting with frame dimming.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #9885 of 10969 Old 11-04-2019, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Is anybody talking about how bad hdr is on these tv’s? I’ve tested it with the built in apps/appletv/shield and all produce a somewhat washed out dim and not much color image. Faces look orangey and just bad. I had to turn off hdr on everything to get a good 4k crisp picture again. Kinda sad I was hoping for a really good hdr experience but I guess this tv is not that. Does anyone actually prefer Dolby vision/hdr/ over normal sdr 4k?
I’ve tried turning off enhanced in the song settings. Tried turning off enhanced in my marantz receiver settings. Tried going straight from the appletv and shield to the tv. All produce the same lacking picture in hdr for this tv. Otherwise the tv is good for everything else besides cloudy backlight on dark video.
post #9886 of 10969 Old 11-04-2019, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 166
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
Is anybody talking about how bad hdr is on these tv’s? I’ve tested it with the built in apps/appletv/shield and all produce a somewhat washed out dim and not much color image. Faces look orangey and just bad. I had to turn off hdr on everything to get a good 4k crisp picture again. Kinda sad I was hoping for a really good hdr experience but I guess this tv is not that. Does anyone actually prefer Dolby vision/hdr/ over normal sdr 4k?

I’ve tried turning off enhanced in the song settings. Tried turning off enhanced in my marantz receiver settings. Tried going straight from the appletv and shield to the tv. All produce the same lacking picture in hdr for this tv. Otherwise the tv is good for everything else besides cloudy backlight on dark video.

90% of things I’ve watched in HDR have been fantastic, both Dolby Vision and HDR10 via internal apps and my Apple TV 4K. There are some content that isn’t well done but most of the stuff I’ve watched looked great. I haven’t noticed any cloudiness. My only complaint is due to the large range and brightness there is some minor blooming into letterbox bars. I haven’t seen any “orangey” faces either. On your Apple TV make sure you set it to 4K SDR 60hz and turn on dynamic range and frame rate matching as well as using properly rated cables.

I prefer to watch anything I’m watching in HDR over SDR when possible except for few outliers. My guess is your set isn’t properly calibrated, you’ve got a setting amiss somewhere or simply are used to seeing a brighter SDR overall picture compared to the dynamic changes lots of HDR content has. Of course it’s possible you simply just don’t like it too. Perhaps you’ve also gotten a bad panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9887 of 10969 Old 11-04-2019, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
90% of things I’ve watched in HDR have been fantastic, both Dolby Vision and HDR10 via internal apps and my Apple TV 4K. There are some content that isn’t well done but most of the stuff I’ve watched looked great. I haven’t noticed any cloudiness. My only complaint is due to the large range and brightness there is some minor blooming into letterbox bars. I haven’t seen any “orangey” faces either. On your Apple TV make sure you set it to 4K SDR 60hz and turn on dynamic range and frame rate matching as well as using properly rated cables.

I prefer to watch anything I’m watching in HDR over SDR when possible except for few outliers. My guess is your set isn’t properly calibrated, you’ve got a setting amiss somewhere or simply are used to seeing a brighter SDR overall picture compared to the dynamic changes lots of HDR content has. Of course it’s possible you simply just don’t like it too. Perhaps you’ve also gotten a bad panel.

I have those settings checked for appletv. The set is calibrated also. I did try different settings during an hdr movie to see if I could improve it and it’s just bad(since you can only calibrate hdr during playback it seems). Nothing seems to make it better besides turning hdr off on everything then it’s nice and sharp and clear. I can’t see how anyone would prefer what I’m seeing over normal sdr content. It’s night and day difference both in sharpness and just overal clarity and color. There was a thread over on Reddit with the same issues I have I read yesterday.
Why would hdr on the built in apps look bad? That’s straight source from the tv it should be amazing from what everyone says. Or is everyone just assuming their hdr is correct on their 900f?
Maybe I’ll put an hdr movie I have to an usb drive(I have well over 20) and bring it to Best Buy and see if their sets are just as bad.
https://amp.reddit.com/r/bravia/comm...is_not_talked/

Last edited by x-evil-x; 11-04-2019 at 03:16 AM.
post #9888 of 10969 Old 11-04-2019, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
I have those settings checked for appletv. The set is calibrated also. I did try different settings during an hdr movie to see if I could improve it and it’s just bad(since you can only calibrate hdr during playback it seems). Nothing seems to make it better besides turning hdr off on everything then it’s nice and sharp and clear. I can’t see how anyone would prefer what I’m seeing over normal sdr content. It’s night and day difference both in sharpness and just overal clarity and color. There was a thread over on Reddit with the same issues I have I read yesterday.

Why would hdr on the built in apps look bad? That’s straight source from the tv it should be amazing from what everyone says. Or is everyone just assuming their hdr is correct on their 900f?

Maybe I’ll putl an hdr movie I have to an usb drive(I have well over 20) and bring it to Best Buy and see if their sets are just as bad.

I don’t know what you’re seeing exactly but what I can say is I see an improvement in sharpness and clarity over SDR content. I can’t say if it’s correct or not as I don’t have the proper equipment but I have seen HDR content on a 55” TCL R617 that I have in my bedroom and it looks great too. Very similar to my 900F. The breaking bad spinoff movie on Netflix looked amazing in Dolby Vision. I’ve also watched several HDR10 movies streamed via Plex to my Apple TV and they looked phenomenal as well. I’ve also seen some Netflix DV content that looks awful.

Suggest visiting the settings thread and trying a few others’ settings just to see.

I use my Apple TV because it’s much faster than the android TV interface and no other reason. Netflix looks equally good on both to me. People say that you buy Sony for accuracy, I don’t know what you had before but perhaps you’d prefer the image on a Samsung set. It’s certainly possible you just won’t ever like how the Sony looks.

I just skimmed over the Reddit thread briefly and notice the first post was complaining about on PS4 Pro. I have a PS4 Pro and have learned that HDR on it will come down to the specific games. I know for example that Red Dead Redemption 2 for example had a horrendous implementation when it launched but am unsure about now.

post #9889 of 10969 Old 11-04-2019, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I don’t know what you’re seeing exactly but what I can say is I see an improvement in sharpness and clarity over SDR content. I can’t say if it’s correct or not as I don’t have the proper equipment but I have seen HDR content on a 55” TCL R617 that I have in my bedroom and it looks great too. Very similar to my 900F. The breaking bad spinoff movie on Netflix looked amazing in Dolby Vision. I’ve also watched several HDR10 movies streamed via Plex to my Apple TV and they looked phenomenal as well. I’ve also seen some Netflix DV content that looks awful.

Suggest visiting the settings thread and trying a few others’ settings just to see.

I use my Apple TV because it’s much faster than the android TV interface and no other reason. Netflix looks equally good on both to me. People say that you buy Sony for accuracy, I don’t know what you had before but perhaps you’d prefer the image on a Samsung set. It’s certainly possible you just won’t ever like how the Sony looks.

I just skimmed over the Reddit thread briefly and notice the first post was complaining about on PS4 Pro. I have a PS4 Pro and have learned that HDR on it will come down to the specific games. I know for example that Red Dead Redemption 2 for example had a horrendous implementation when it launched but am unsure about now.

I’ve had 2 other higher end 4k tv’s last few years and ended up returning them. I couldn’t find a good reason to upgrade my xbr4 from 2007 also a Sony. My plasma in the bedroom holds its own compared to any 4k tv I’ve seen also. That was one reason I kept returning the other sets is the picture on the plasma is just better. But that could be depth compared to lcd but I thought any 4k tv would be better but they aren’t. Maybe an oled is the only way to go for me but I wanted size. The picture on the 900f looks amazing in normal content it’s just hdr is a bag of crap honestly. It could be my set is just bad like that post from reddit it seems like I’m not the only one and people just assume hdr is being outputted correctly on these sets and don’t know any different. What I say to people that actually think hdr looks good on these tv’s is turn it off and compare the same show in sdr as hdr. I noticed it a lot watching see on appletv+. What are your hdr settings that you like so much? I’ll try them and see if it helps any. Whites look off white also. Skin tones look off. Just looks like there’s too much contrast and not enough brightness on the picture like that washed out look but with odd colors.
I’m still trying to figure out how to disable hdr completely on the shield but doesn’t seem like I can. Appletv I can with match dynamic range.
post #9890 of 10969 Old 11-04-2019, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
I have recently bought a new x900f. It makes a great picture! It replaces a 12 year old Sony XBR2. On the old set in the menu section, you could call up a "Diagnostics" screen for RF channels. This screen would show you the channel #, frequency and signal level. I've been searching the menus on the new set. But, I don't see anything similar. Does this screen no longer exist on this new set? Or, am I overlooking something? TIA!
Look for this screen-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagnostics.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	628.3 KB
ID:	2636258  
NTC likes this.
post #9891 of 10969 Old 11-04-2019, 05:31 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxfischer View Post
Anyone use a power line adapter for this tv? If you do and it works well what kind did you get?
I do. Powerline to unmanaged switch to 900f ethernet port. The tv should be adapter brand agnostic. However, I use D-Link DHP-701AV AV2000 Powerline adapters. I've been using it for several years with no issues on various media serving fronts (NAS, internet streaming, cable tv over network via HD Homerun (which showed a weakness to a TP-Link branded unit). Probably the most stable networking device I've owned.
post #9892 of 10969 Old 11-04-2019, 06:11 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawaji View Post
I also have an extra WiFi router so I will see if there is a way to use that in my network and connect it via a Cat6 cable to the TV. That way, I can hook up my Nvidia Shield, Roku, PS3, Sony TV via Cat6 cables to the extra router. Unfortunately, I do not have a way to run cables from my Comcast router to where I have the TV. Looks like I have some reading/research to do on how to accomplish that without taking a hit in the speed.
You want to setup your 2nd router in "Bridge" mode and connect it to your primary wireless router's 5ghz ssid. Do not use "extender" mode if you have bridge mode bc extender mode is used to also "extend" the wifi signal but has the general tradeoff of reducing the throughput by 1/2. Since you only want to use the ethernet ports of the 2nd router (rather than creating an additional wifi access point), there is no need to reduce the throughput for a function you arent using (extender) and impacts your primary goal (max throughput).

If your 2nd router does not have a bridge mode, try the extender mode to see if it addresses your problem despite the reduced throughput. If your router has neither mode, then you're out of luck with using that router for the purpose you suggest (& want).
bawaji likes this.

Last edited by chris431; 11-04-2019 at 06:17 AM.
post #9893 of 10969 Old 11-04-2019, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botika View Post

Thanks Botika,

Great information that maybe should be pinned to the 1st page of this thread? Essential for planning out a wall mount before the TV arrives.
Botika likes this.
post #9894 of 10969 Old 11-04-2019, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Look for this screen-

DUH! I had been looking in the "Help" menu. But, was looking at the first line to do a "search" for signal diagnostics. I had not looked at the the third line that has a window for "Diagnostics". I feel rather dumb! Thanks for that info I should have seen in the first place.
post #9895 of 10969 Old 11-05-2019, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I’ve had 2 other higher end 4k tv’s last few years and ended up returning them. I couldn’t find a good reason to upgrade my xbr4 from 2007 also a Sony. My plasma in the bedroom holds its own compared to any 4k tv I’ve seen also. That was one reason I kept returning the other sets is the picture on the plasma is just better. But that could be depth compared to lcd but I thought any 4k tv would be better but they aren’t. Maybe an oled is the only way to go for me but I wanted size. The picture on the 900f looks amazing in normal content it’s just hdr is a bag of crap honestly. It could be my set is just bad like that post from reddit it seems like I’m not the only one and people just assume hdr is being outputted correctly on these sets and don’t know any different. What I say to people that actually think hdr looks good on these tv’s is turn it off and compare the same show in sdr as hdr. I noticed it a lot watching see on appletv+. What are your hdr settings that you like so much? I’ll try them and see if it helps any. Whites look off white also. Skin tones look off. Just looks like there’s too much contrast and not enough brightness on the picture like that washed out look but with odd colors.

I’m still trying to figure out how to disable hdr completely on the shield but doesn’t seem like I can. Appletv I can with match dynamic range.

I forgot to reply yesterday was busy. There’s a 900F settings thread in the forum. My settings are posted there. I’ve made some minor changes since then that are more in line with anderegg’s and cptncrunch’s settings though. The differences aren’t much to me though. It’s a pain to locate them by phone else I’d find them for you.

I previously owned a mid tier Panasonic plasma and I wouldn’t go back to it from my 900F any day of the week. It does seem like maybe OLED is the way to go for you or perhaps microLED someday. My 900F looks worlds better than my plasma even on cable content.

It’s also worth noting that it’s possible that your encodes are just bad quality. Unless you’re also referring to streaming services as well.

post #9896 of 10969 Old 11-05-2019, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone, just looking for some info. Presently have a 55'' 810C looking to upgrade to a 65" 900F. My issue is that because it's a corner set up and a fireplace is on one wall I don't have a lot of space for the stand. Did a search already but my questions are:

1) Are the feet still reversible on the TV so they point inward? I know they stopped that on the 950G.
2) If so what is the stand width now? Someone mentioned around 30" but I saw some where(which I can't find now) that it was 27"
3) Has anyone used a 3rd party stand(Amazon, Best Buy, etc) that attaches to the vesa mount and if so how are they?

Thanks in advance
post #9897 of 10969 Old 11-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Color Temp

I find that on my x900f, the "Expert"/"Warm" color temps are too yellowish/greenish. I find the "Neutral" setting to look most correct. And, I also took down the red gain 10 points, leaving the other settings the same. Anybody else have an opinion on this?
post #9898 of 10969 Old 11-06-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
A few days ago I started having this problem where the TV won't turn back on after being off most of the day, such as when I go to work. I have to unplug it and have it reboot to come back on. Works fine for a bit then won't come on. Anyone else have this problem or an idea as to how to fix? I am already expecting someone to suggest a factory reset.
bobl2 likes this.
post #9899 of 10969 Old 11-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So, I have been lurking in this thread and the 950G thread for the past year pretty much.
I am ready to buy a 65" model of either tv and one of the shop's in my area is having an early Canadian version of your "Black Friday" event.
I can get the 900F for a a pretty good price and the 950G at a relatively good price but obviously not as good as the 900.
Is it worth spending more just for the processor?
From what I have read, that might be the only advantage to buying the newer model.
What do you guys think?

Thanks very much,
Take Care
post #9900 of 10969 Old 11-06-2019, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 138
If it's just the processor you're interested in (and not wider viewing angle and better DV implementation), then you can likely pick up the latest Nvidia shield (snappy interface, AI upscaling) to use with the 900 and still have a bunch of coin leftover by buying the 900 vs the 950.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page