2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 331 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4667Likes

post #9901 of 10917 Old 11-06-2019, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
If it's just the processor you're interested in (and not wider viewing angle and better DV implementation), then you can likely pick up the latest Nvidia shield (snappy interface, AI upscaling) to use with the 900 and still have a bunch of coin leftover by buying the 900 vs the 950.
Thanks Hiperco!!
I didn't even realize that was an option.
The angle is not an issue as I am only looking at the 65" so this is very good news.
Take Care

BTW, would that be even better or as good as the X1 Ultimate Processor?

Just curious now.
Thanks

Last edited by CraigSamuel; 11-06-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 10917 Old 11-06-2019, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahsi View Post
A few days ago I started having this problem where the TV won't turn back on after being off most of the day, such as when I go to work. I have to unplug it and have it reboot to come back on. Works fine for a bit then won't come on. Anyone else have this problem or an idea as to how to fix? I am already expecting someone to suggest a factory reset.
Check whether you are connected to a 5Ghz wifi network - for some reason this set doesn't always cope well with 5Ghz. Also I had similar issues when my CAM module went bust. Other than that, it still happens for no reason from time to time.

PS4 Pro
post #9903 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSamuel View Post
Thanks Hiperco!!

BTW, would that be even better or as good as the X1 Ultimate Processor?

Just curious now.

Thanks
I can't comment on how the new Shield stacks up to the X1 Ultimate.

A side note, my suggestion can also be extended to ANY of the external 4K players (Roku, Apple, etc)
CraigSamuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9904 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My TV search has essentially boiled down to this (X900F) or the x950g. I am leaning toward the X900F since, in my set up, the TV is pretty much a monitor. I use Apple TV 4K and and AVR for sound. The AVR is also my hub. From what I gather, then main complaints on the 900 vs the 950 is the UI which doesn’t affect me.

I was initially looking at 65” but after evaluating my space and seating distance, I can easily accommodate a 75 so I am now leaning in that direction. This would give the 950 another theoretical advantage with off angle viewing compensation, but again, with how I will be set up, I don’t believe this will be an issue either way. So assuming that off angle is not an issue, and I will not be utilizing the TV for anything other than picture, it seems reasonable to save a few hundred and go with the 900f. Am I missing any significant advantage between the two that would make me think otherwise?
post #9905 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Much better Dolby Vision on the 950, from what I've heard. (But maybe it doesn't matter if the Apple TV doesn't support the DV version used by Sony?)
post #9906 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Much better Dolby Vision on the 950, from what I've heard. (But maybe it doesn't matter if the Apple TV doesn't support the DV version used by Sony?)
Is that the upshot of the better X1 Chip?

I use Hulu plus live TV for sports and live tv. I also subscribe to Netflix (standard...evaluating whether I want to keep), amazon prime and Disney+. And I have a number of movies I own on Apple and/or Vudu. No gaming or computer display.
post #9907 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
Unfortunately, BB charges for delivery and their extended 5 year warranty is twice as expensive as several online competitors. If BB would price match for shipping/warranty, I would buy from them today.
BB can not match dealers who discount all day everyday. They would close so fast your head would spin with there overhead. One thing is for sure I would never buy a warranty there, way, way to high in cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
IIRC X850G 85" is Direct-lit backlighting with frame dimming.
Exactlly that is why the 900F which has FALD is better and worth the extra cash.
Panson likes this.
post #9908 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
... (But maybe it doesn't matter if the Apple TV doesn't support the DV version used by Sony?)
I can’t say that I’ve watched any Dolby Vision programming on my Apple TV, but my ‘system’ (ATV4K > Cables > SSP > 85x900F) passes the ATV DV test, and triggers the DV badge on the Sony. So ATV4K does support the Sony version of DV.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1

Last edited by bmcleod; 11-07-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #9909 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I forgot to reply yesterday was busy. There’s a 900F settings thread in the forum. My settings are posted there. I’ve made some minor changes since then that are more in line with anderegg’s and cptncrunch’s settings though. The differences aren’t much to me though. It’s a pain to locate them by phone else I’d find them for you.

I previously owned a mid tier Panasonic plasma and I wouldn’t go back to it from my 900F any day of the week. It does seem like maybe OLED is the way to go for you or perhaps microLED someday. My 900F looks worlds better than my plasma even on cable content.

It’s also worth noting that it’s possible that your encodes are just bad quality. Unless you’re also referring to streaming services as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All my home media content looks amazing on my Panasonic gt30 plasma. That tv still blows me away. I have them back to back in a studio so I’m looking at both everyday. It’s just hdr content for the 900 that just looks bad to me. I still prefer my plasma to an lcd it seems. I do like the 900 in sdr only content. The appletv infuse app looks much better on it than the shield plex too. I’ve tried a lot of those settings in that other thread for hdr it just doesn’t Look right to me.
post #9910 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyubohar View Post
Check whether you are connected to a 5Ghz wifi network - for some reason this set doesn't always cope well with 5Ghz. Also I had similar issues when my CAM module went bust. Other than that, it still happens for no reason from time to time.
I think it was related to the USB I had plugged in to the back to watch a fanmade extended cut of Titanic. I removed the USB so I'll see if it stops now. I have my TV connected via LAN cable, but I'll remember that if I ever need to go wireless. Thanks!
lyubohar likes this.
post #9911 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
I can’t say that I’ve watched any Dolby Vision programming on my Apple TV, but my ‘system’ (ATV4K > Cables > SSP > 85x900F) passes the ATV DV test, and triggers the DV badge on the Sony. So ATV4K does support the Sony version of DV.
It would be extremely interesting to perform a comparison of Dolby Vision on a X900F playing the same content:

-internal app
-external DV with Apple
-external HDR10 with Apple

(I suspect that the Apple TV 4K may be the only device capable of performing this test? Or does the Shield support SONY DV version too?)
post #9912 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
Quote:
It would be extremely interesting to perform a comparison of Dolby Vision on a X900F playing the same content:

-internal app
-external DV with Apple
-external HDR10 with Apple

(I suspect that the Apple TV 4K may be the only device capable of performing this test? Or does the Shield support SONY DV version too?)
So I forgot that I have some demo videos from 4K.ORG that I can play with Infuse on ATV4K, a few of them have Dolby Vision and play fine. One in particular does 4K/60/DV/Atmos and is pretty impressive, it pushes the technology to the limit. However Infuse on ATV can’t play Atmos, so that file is best played from the USB port on my Oppo 203, there I get best DV picture and Atmos sound. It also looks good on the internal app, but I don’t use ARC so just TV speakers and sounds like crap. I have some HDR10 demos too and they also look very good.

Generally ATV looks and sounds pretty good to me for streaming (which is lossy). UHD Disks with DV or HDR10 and Atmos or DTS:X are the best.

ATV4K has good tests for DV, HDR, and your cables; don’t know anything about Shield or if it can test your system.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #9913 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I had the 85inch 900F delivered last Friday and have been adjusting the settings. The picture with comcast cable is really good nuch better colors and conversion than the 82NU8000 I had previously.

Quick question, has anyone adjusted the HDR/Dolby vision settings? I noticed the brightness is at 100 with contract at 90. To my untrained eye the colors appear a touch washed out while watching Netflix (HDR, DV) via my Apple TV4k.

Thanks

Mcintosh C2500, MC302, MC8207
B&W 804D3, HTM2D3
Marantz 7702 mkII
Oppo 203, Sony UBP-X800
Sony XBR85X900F living room, LG OLED65E7P (Bedroom), Sunbrite 46 Pro series (outside)
post #9914 of 10917 Old 11-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Washed out / dim Dolby Vision is a common complaint with the X900F. (This is still keeping me on the sidelines attm). It would be great if you turn off DV and compare how it looks in HDR10, and report back.
Craigslue likes this.
post #9915 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
All my home media content looks amazing on my Panasonic gt30 plasma. That tv still blows me away. I have them back to back in a studio so I’m looking at both everyday. It’s just hdr content for the 900 that just looks bad to me. I still prefer my plasma to an lcd it seems. I do like the 900 in sdr only content. The appletv infuse app looks much better on it than the shield plex too. I’ve tried a lot of those settings in that other thread for hdr it just doesn’t Look right to me.
***If you can, I'd let go of the HDR quest. Quite frankly - I default to plain old 1080p for most of my streaming. Case in point - Season 2 of Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime. The HDR version is just too dark and not as much "pop" for my eyes. Same way with Dolby Vision. Dull and lifeless. I occasionally watch a Netflix show in DV but that's only for the ride along Dolby Atmos soundtrack (DD+ compressed).

The upscaling capability of the Sony 900F is outstanding - - the best in the business, IMHO. There will be folks on this forum that swear by the quality of HDR with the Sony 900F. Not so much Dolby Vision. That's a pretty uniform consensus. I've just learned to live without it (HDR - most of the time and Dolby Vision 90% of the time) and enjoy the Sony 900F's incredible picture.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #9916 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***If you can, I'd let go of the HDR quest. Quite frankly - I default to plain old 1080p for most of my streaming. Case in point - Season 2 of Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime. The HDR version is just too dark and not as much "pop" for my eyes. Same way with Dolby Vision. Dull and lifeless. I occasionally watch a Netflix show in DV but that's only for the ride along Dolby Atmos soundtrack (DD+ compressed).

The upscaling capability of the Sony 900F is outstanding - - the best in the business, IMHO. There will be folks on this forum that swear by the quality of HDR with the Sony 900F. Not so much Dolby Vision. That's a pretty uniform consensus. I've just learned to live without it (HDR - most of the time and Dolby Vision 90% of the time) and enjoy the Sony 900F's incredible picture.
Naive question coming up maybe....

If Dolby Vision isn't great on the 900F, can a firmware upgrade not make it better?
post #9917 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Have the DV issues been resolved on the 950G? Also since I watch regular Comcast (HD, 720p) content 80% of the time, is it just as good on the 950G?

Thanks

Mcintosh C2500, MC302, MC8207
B&W 804D3, HTM2D3
Marantz 7702 mkII
Oppo 203, Sony UBP-X800
Sony XBR85X900F living room, LG OLED65E7P (Bedroom), Sunbrite 46 Pro series (outside)
post #9918 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor99999 View Post
I am just stupid, I shouldn't have bought at this time and waited till the remodeling was started and done with. And I would have if I waited just 2 more days when we signed with the contractor. I was just excited to get this TV, and like a kid, I wanted it now. Oh well. I still have an amazing TV that I will get to experience in 4-5 months.

Mark
And I just keep proving my stupidity. Exactly 5 month, from when I received the TV, I have now opened it up and put it on my entertainment center. It looks fantastic. But here is the stupidity part, we aren't 100% finished with the remodel, so we still have everything in boxes, including stuff we took to the other condo we rented while renovations were occurring.

And I CANNOT FIND the remote anywhere. So, I have a beautiful Sony 85" 900G TV. on the entertainment center stuck at the Choose Language startup.

I really looked in every box, every cubicle, every luggage, bag, etc in the place and I cannot find it. And I know I put it in a place that would be easy to find. I'd be crying if I didn't think this was so funny.

Mark

Sony 85" X900F
post #9919 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diononiz View Post
Have the DV issues been resolved on the 950G? Also since I watch regular Comcast (HD, 720p) content 80% of the time, is it just as good on the 950G?

Thanks
***I haven't seen the 950G and I'm a little confused on the wording of "Direct LED" with "Local Dimming" versus "FALD - Full Array Local Dimming." I've seen some of the explanations - "Direct lit refer to any TV that has the units in it's backlight scattered across the screen instead of around the edges of the backlight unit. It includes FALD TVs, but also includes TVs that don't have local dimming."

I think the 950G is "FALD," as well, but with the new processor - the X1 TM Ultimate versus the X1 TM Extreme with the former being capable of object-based processing. (Close to the TK-421 modification in Boogie Nights?) https://www.digit.in/news/mobile-pho...tvs-39022.html

Back to your original question. Unless I'm missing something, the 950G should be as good or better than the 900F with Comcast HD (I have the exact same setup in watching Comcast at 720p) and hopefully better with Dolby Vision. I'd let your eyes be the judge. Maybe research the 900G thread in the AVS Forum?

And for the other poster who asked about software improvements to the 900F with Dolby Vision - - you would think that this is possible - improving the picture of Dolby Vision on the 900F but I haven't seen it to date. I don't think it's a processing issue (processor) - I think it has to do with (1) Sony's Dolby Vision implementation or (2) inherent issues with Dolby Vision itself. Lot's of folks with other TV's have complained about the Dolby Vision picture quality.

As I mentioned earlier - - I've greatly lowered my expectations of HDR and Dolby Vision and am quite happy in watching 1080p content "upscaled" on my Sony 900F. I would think the Sony 950G would be as good or better than the 900F. Is it worth the price difference? Only your eye and pocketbook can make that decision. Hope this helps.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #9920 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Need advice on using the stand legs.

I am looking at buying a 65" 900F to replace my current 60" Sony in my bedroom. The question I have is regarding the stand legs. I have an excellent TV stand but the glass where the TV will sit only measures 44.5 inches wide and the Sony legs are apparently 45.25 inches apart. The glass on the top of my stand will easily hold up to 300lbs. My question is are the legs on the TV solid and would it be OK to have the very tips of the legs extending 3/8th's of an inch over on each side? I have read that the legs can be reversed but Sony does not support this and I would not want the TV to be unstable and get damaged and not be able to have Sony warranty it. (Actually based on what I have read I will not consider doing this) If the general consensus is that having the legs extending beyond the edges slightly I will have to go with the 55". By the way I hate these new legs. I have a 75" Z9D and a 900E with the center mount stands and they are much more convenient and look better too. I do not want to buy a new stand or wall mount the TV. As always thanks for the help.
post #9921 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
And I just keep proving my stupidity. Exactly 5 month, from when I received the TV, I have now opened it up and put it on my entertainment center. It looks fantastic. But here is the stupidity part, we aren't 100% finished with the remodel, so we still have everything in boxes, including stuff we took to the other condo we rented while renovations were occurring.

And I CANNOT FIND the remote anywhere. So, I have a beautiful Sony 85" 900G TV. on the entertainment center stuck at the Choose Language startup.

I really looked in every box, every cubicle, every luggage, bag, etc in the place and I cannot find it. And I know I put it in a place that would be easy to find. I'd be crying if I didn't think this was so funny.

Mark
You can use an app. I occasionally use these for android, I don't know about IOS. Install the app, turn on the TV, open the app and it scans for compatible devices. There are many others beside these two.

Android TV Remote Control (free)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.tv.remote

My AV Universal Remote

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ood.myav_trial
bytor99999 likes this.

Living Room: Marantz 6013, XPA-5, 7.1.4 Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, FXiA4, OWM3, RSL C34E, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5050, VApex 92”, Sony 65X900F, Sony X800, Xbox360, FireStick 4K, Roku Ultra, Odroid-N2. Bedroom: Denon 3600, 5.1.4 Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD x 2, LG OLED65B8, Xbox 360, Roku Ultra, Shield, FireStick 4K. Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, Monitor 70's, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors.
post #9922 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post
You can use an app. I occasionally use these for android, I don't know about IOS. Install the app, turn on the TV, open the app and it scans for compatible devices. There are many others beside these two.

Android TV Remote Control (free)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.tv.remote

My AV Universal Remote

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ood.myav_trial
I don't seem to find one for iOS. Thank you though a lot for the suggestion, it is a great idea.
(Actually I found a lot of them) The only problem with all of them is they all state that the TV has to be connected to the same network. Which would be great, but how do you connect the TV to a network without the remote? I have not even set up this TV yet, it is on the first question which is which language to use.

I am actually planning to just use my Apple TV instead of the OS on the TV, but wasn't sure if the TV has to be setup first before I can change the input.

Mark

UPDATE: I managed to get a hard wired network connection to the TV, and I downloaded 4 different Remote apps that got more than 2 stars, and all connected to the TV, but not a single one of them would allow me to select or move up or down in the language selection screen. And I could not change the Input using the three buttons in the back of the TV.

Sony 85" X900F

Last edited by bytor99999; 11-08-2019 at 01:04 PM.
post #9923 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I don't seem to find one for iOS. Thank you though a lot for the suggestion, it is a great idea.
(Actually I found a lot of them) The only problem with all of them is they all state that the TV has to be connected to the same network. Which would be great, but how do you connect the TV to a network without the remote? I have not even set up this TV yet, it is on the first question which is which language to use.

I am actually planning to just use my Apple TV instead of the OS on the TV, but wasn't sure if the TV has to be setup first before I can change the input.

Mark

UPDATE: I managed to get a hard wired network connection to the TV, and I downloaded 4 different Remote apps that got more than 2 stars, and all connected to the TV, but not a single one of them would allow me to select or move up or down in the language selection screen. And I could not change the Input using the three buttons in the back of the TV.
If you don’t find the original, and with Black Friday coming up, a Harmony remote would give you a physical remote using IR. There’s probably an OEM Sony available too, as well as some generic Sony’s that would probably work. If you have more than a couple devices the Harmony would be my vote.

Edit: If you’ll just have the 900F and ATV then maybe the Apple remote will work with CEC (which might be on by default).

Last edited by bmcleod; 11-08-2019 at 02:12 PM.
post #9924 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 02:34 PM

Do I need a Sub for my new 900F?

Hey Guys,

I just bought the TV today and have not set it up yet. I also bought the Sonos Beam soundbar and the Sonos Sub.
Before I open up the Sonos products, I was just wondering if I made the right purchase.
Is this overkill with the SUB?
I don't want to get into surround sound but do really appreciate good sound for concert footage, gaming etc.
Thanks
Craig
post #9925 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris431 View Post
You want to setup your 2nd router in "Bridge" mode and connect it to your primary wireless router's 5ghz ssid. Do not use "extender" mode if you have bridge mode bc extender mode is used to also "extend" the wifi signal but has the general tradeoff of reducing the throughput by 1/2. Since you only want to use the ethernet ports of the 2nd router (rather than creating an additional wifi access point), there is no need to reduce the throughput for a function you arent using (extender) and impacts your primary goal (max throughput).

If your 2nd router does not have a bridge mode, try the extender mode to see if it addresses your problem despite the reduced throughput. If your router has neither mode, then you're out of luck with using that router for the purpose you suggest (& want).

Thanks Chris! I will remember that. Currently, I have only one movie (78Mbps bitrate) that the TV had problems playing. Most of the other movies have bitrates of less than 40Mbps which the TV plays just fine. If the bitrates keep rising in the future, I will have to try the bridge mode out. Hopefully my old router has it.

Sony XBR-55X900F | Xfinity Cable Box | Nvidia Shield TV | Roku 3 | Oppo DV-980H | Sony PS3
post #9926 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I just bought the TV today and have not set it up yet. I also bought the Sonos Beam soundbar and the Sonos Sub.
Before I open up the Sonos products, I was just wondering if I made the right purchase.
I don't want to get into surround sound but do really appreciate good sound for concert footage, gaming etc.
Thanks
Craig
***We here on the AVS Forum are an enthusiastic bunch. You'll probably get more questions on why you didn't get a full blown, Dolby Atmos system with an AVR and four subs. It's definitely not overkill with your Sonos soundbar/sub setup. You should have a 30 day return policy on your purchase (most of the time) so keep all your packaging and receipts. The TV speakers will pale in comparison to quality soundbar/sub audio. Try both and tell us which one you enjoy the best!
astrohip, bmcleod and CraigSamuel like this.

Home Theater Setup

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 11-08-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #9927 of 10917 Old 11-08-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
***We here on the AVS Forum are an enthusiastic bunch. You'll probably get more questions on why you didn't get a full blown, Dolby Atmos system with an AVR and four subs. It's definitely not overkill with your Sonos soundbar/sub setup. You should have a 30 day return policy on your purchase (most of the time) so keep all your packaging and receipts. The TV speakers will pale in comparison to quality soundbar/sub audio. Try both and tell us which one you enjoy the best!
Thanks Rico!
post #9928 of 10917 Old 11-09-2019, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
I don't seem to find one for iOS. Thank you though a lot for the suggestion, it is a great idea....
The Sony remote App "TV Side View from Sony" is still in the Apple App Store. Some features are now obsolete but the Remote section still works.
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #9929 of 10917 Old 11-09-2019, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks
Craig
Nothing wrong with your Sonos set up, but, to me, sound is half the home theatre experience. A good AVR with decent speakers and a big a$$ sub can't be beat. You can start with the receiver and two fronts and slowly build. Nowadays you can get decent sound from discrete sized speakers.

Best
bmcleod, CraigSamuel and PlanetAVS like this.
post #9930 of 10917 Old 11-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post
I am looking at buying a 65" 900F to replace my current 60" Sony in my bedroom. The question I have is regarding the stand legs. I have an excellent TV stand but the glass where the TV will sit only measures 44.5 inches wide and the Sony legs are apparently 45.25 inches apart. The glass on the top of my stand will easily hold up to 300lbs. My question is are the legs on the TV solid and would it be OK to have the very tips of the legs extending 3/8th's of an inch over on each side? I have read that the legs can be reversed but Sony does not support this and I would not want the TV to be unstable and get damaged and not be able to have Sony warranty it. (Actually based on what I have read I will not consider doing this) If the general consensus is that having the legs extending beyond the edges slightly I will have to go with the 55". By the way I hate these new legs. I have a 75" Z9D and a 900E with the center mount stands and they are much more convenient and look better too. I do not want to buy a new stand or wall mount the TV. As always thanks for the help.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page