2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 338 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4464Likes

post #10111 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes, it does wash out blacks in some rare scenes, but it's not a deal braker for me. I'm still playing with the setting until I get the sweet spot anyway.
For the blooming - try setting up subtitles' color as gray if possible, or add some shadow. The gray color works like a charm in most cases.
acphydro likes this.

PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
thanks for the info! The sony replaced a sammy plasma (8500) and I never had these video drop outs before so I suspected the new sony. of course if it is the sony i want to report it to them while so new. I have DTV HR24. What other troubleshooting do you recommend? thank you again!
No reason not to report to Sony, and get it on the record, maybe they‘ll have a suggestion. That’s an older client, so your not trying to do 4K, is there an AVR involved or HR24 directly to HDMI 3 input? If AVR try bypassing it, if not try a different input. Turn off ARC & CEC. Again no 4K so cables less critical, but wouldn’t hurt to swap them. Try a different source on HDMI 3. Do you have any other DTV receivers in the house to try? Do these things one at a time and try it after to see if one thing fixes it. Sometimes resetting the TV to factory defaults and setting back up helps, unplugging for a cold boot might help.
eddieras likes this.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #10113 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyubohar View Post
Yes, it does wash out blacks in some rare scenes, but it's not a deal braker for me. I'm still playing with the setting until I get the sweet spot anyway.

For the blooming - try setting up subtitles' color as gray if possible, or add some shadow. The gray color works like a charm in most cases.

I might play with it a touch someday. My set had pretty much been set how it is since I got it some 18 months ago. Only thing I do different from then is I always watch HDR10 in Cinema Pro mode and I set xtended dynamic range to medium. I used to use Cinema Home more but now just use it for TV shows. Cinema Pro looks significantly better for HDR content to me. Not that any of it ever looked awful in the first place. It’s always nice to make a change and see if it improves anything or not though.

For subtitles thanks for suggestion. I have changed it on some apps but it hasn’t bothered me enough to mess with it on others. I believe I have Netflix setup to be slightly gray as opposed to white. Probably not gray enough but haven’t bothered with it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lyubohar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10114 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
No reason not to report to Sony, and get it on the record, maybe they‘ll have a suggestion. That’s an older client, so your not trying to do 4K, is there an AVR involved or HR24 directly to HDMI 3 input? If AVR try bypassing it, if not try a different input. Turn off ARC & CEC. Again no 4K so cables less critical, but wouldn’t hurt to swap them. Try a different source on HDMI 3. Do you have any other DTV receivers in the house to try? Do these things one at a time and try it after to see if one thing fixes it. Sometimes resetting the TV to factory defaults and setting back up helps, unplugging for a cold boot might help.
thank you - yes i have an onkyo AVR. i will try those steps. appreciate it!
bmcleod likes this.

eddieras
post #10115 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post
I will be picking up a 65" 900F next week to replace a 60" Sony in my bedroom. I have never used a soundbar before and I do not intend to put a full surround sound system in the bedroom as I have 2 theaters with 75" Z9D's. I just want to have better sound then the TV speakers will offer. My question is what soundbars are you guys using? My current setup is the Sony TV and Spectrum cable box. I use the cable box remote to turn on the TV and cable box and the remote adjusts the volume of the TV. I would like to know if there is a soundbar that can adjust the volume through the cable remote. So if the soundbar is connected to either HDMI (Arc) or optical can the volume be adjusted by the cable remote. If not I have several Harmony remotes that I can program to do this. I would like a soundbar with a wireless subwoofer and keep the price under $500 if possible. This is just a bedroom and I only watch about 3-5 hours a week. I also need this to work for the built in apps for Netflix and Vudu. What have you found to be the best match for the 900F? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.
post #10116 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6793 Post(s)
Liked: 6795
Quote:
thanks- just trying to determine if a glitch as this is to be accepted for a brand new tv and if others have similar issue.
Quote:

thanks for the info! The sony replaced a sammy plasma (8500) and I never had these video drop outs before so I suspected the new sony. of course if it is the sony i want to report it to them while so new. I have DTV HR24. What other troubleshooting do you recommend? thank you again!
Is it just me or does it seem as if electronics are more glitchy today?
post #10117 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm only one that has issue not seeing display info when using sony remote while viewing Disney +? Dang it..cant tell if 4k or HD or anything. Input still doesnt show up hdr symbol etc. So confused. But I give up. Sorry for posts
post #10118 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I often wonder if those that complain about DV and HDR have defective sets. There doesn’t need to be different modes there just is to have options. My TCL R617 has 3 different modes yet it’s DV Dark profile is the most accurate the other 2 increase brightness but make the colors cold and wash the picture out. The dark profile is the recommended setting for a reason and funnily enough it looks the same as my 900F.

I can see what some are saying about DV being dark in some shows but those are only shows that are designed to be that way. 2 such shows that come to mind are Sabrina and Ozark on Netflix. Both of those shows are presented dark on my TCL as well. Those are certainly dark and they get bright highlights when needed. The one thing we can take from this is that you can’t please everyone. I don’t see why they can’t provide us the option of disabling DV if we wanted. I certainly wouldn’t disable it. Most of the DV/HDR content I have watched gets eye searingly bright at times. If this doesn’t happen for you then we are only left to assume it’s your settings, source or the specific TV is at fault in some fashion. Another possibility is that those that have an issue are watching normal content with the brightness way too high and the switch to HDR modes just gets lost on them because they watch TV in a bright room or have their brightness set too high for their viewing location in the first place. There is a reason when you go to the theater that they dim the lights.

A common misconception is that HDR content is supposed to be bright all the time, that’s not the case, it’s supposed to show you a larger dynamic range, which it certainly does. Shows can have very dark scenes but very very bright spectacular highlights. It’s not supposed to be eye searingly bright all the time. I have yet to play a game in HDR on my PS4 Pro that was dark. Why? Most games are designed to be vibrant and stick out and I’m confident if they were presented in DV they’d be just as bright as they are now.

Sorry for the rant. This isn’t an attack on your thoughts or how you see HDR, but, rather just a comparison from someone else who actually much prefers HDR/DV over SDR for everything and appreciates what HDR is designed to do. All I can suggest is that you (and others) that have this issue is that HDR/DV simply isn’t for you and that you simply prefer something else as HDR simply “makes blacks blacker and whites whiter” without making the entire scene completely bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Yeah, accusing people of not admitting there's something wrong with DV, just because YOU and others think there's something wrong - not very cool. I am usually frustrated by the smallest issue I have with my TV so I would never pretend there's no issue just to...justify something? Are we in the kindergarten?

I watch Mindhunter in DV on Netflix every night (usually dark room, but not always) and it's just perfect; if this is frustrating for anyone, it's their problem. I watch on the TV's native Netflix app, my Gamma is maxed and Black level dialled back to 47, if that helps. The only issue I have is with local dimming around subtitles.
This is exactly what I’m talking about. “Everyone with this issue has a defective set”, “Are we in kindergarten?” (that was classless), “Maybe DV is not for you”, “DV is intended to be…”, “It’s their problem”. No one will admit that there is an issue and that people should be able to watch DV the way that they want to. Why should everyone be forced to watch DV the same way? It makes no sense. I’ve been watching DV for years on multiple TVs and the 900F is the only TV that I’ve had this issue with. Just because YOU like DV on the 900F doesn’t mean that there is not an issue for those that like DV a little brighter. Try Googling “Dolby vision dark 900F” and see what you come up with…it is not just a few people. I guess we’re all idiots and don’t know what we’re talking about. Are you saying that DV is just as dark on every other TV? I would much prefer to watch everything in DV & HDR than SDR. Lost in Space is awesome in DV on my Vizio P65-E1. I looked forward to watching everything I could in DV, so please don’t accuse those of us with an issue as though we don’t know what we’re talking about. It’s just a matter of preference, period. Like you, I’m sorry for the rant, but I don’t like other people's viewing preferences being forced on others. We should have a choice and we don’t with DV on the 900F.
johnfusco likes this.
post #10119 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorblair View Post
... I would much prefer to watch everything in DV & HDR than SDR. Lost in Space is awesome in DV on my Vizio P65-E1. I looked forward to watching everything I could in DV, so please don’t accuse those of us with an issue as though we don’t know what we’re talking about. It’s just a matter of preference, period. Like you, I’m sorry for the rant, but I don’t like other people's viewing preferences being forced on others. We should have a choice and we don’t with DV on the 900F.
My main TV is a Vizio P65-C and DolbyVision is about the same as on my bedroom 49X900F, but I use streamers rather than the Sony internal Apps. I'd suggest trying some of the settings on the Owner calibration thread. Actually the 900F can get brighter (NIT wise) than the early P models (C & E). Good luck.

Edit: Here is a link to the Calibrations thread. Anderegg's & CaptinCrunch have good settings
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...gs-thread.html
acphydro likes this.

Last edited by naustin; Yesterday at 08:00 PM.
post #10120 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty4hockey View Post
So I'm only one that has issue not seeing display info when using sony remote while viewing Disney +? Dang it..cant tell if 4k or HD or anything. Input still doesnt show up hdr symbol etc. So confused. But I give up. Sorry for posts
If you're not seeing the DV logo in the upper right at the beginning of the presentation, and your picture adj menu is not showing HDR or Dolby Vision as the setting, you might uninstall the app and load it again. Disney+ did have a problem on Tuesday where they shut down the hi-def signal. Once they restored DV service by Wednesday, it's possible your app didn't pick it up correctly. Don't apologize for posting.

I've been here 15 years and've seen it all.
post #10121 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 9
"I’ve been watching DV for years on multiple TVs and the 900F is the only TV that I’ve had this issue with."
Really Gatorbear. Just a thought. It would be wise not to embellish to make a point.
post #10122 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
@gatorblair I went and watched an episode of Lost in Space on the Sony's Netflix App and it looked fine in DV. Here are the settings I used for the App and when I use DV on an Enhanced port with my AppleTV4K:

Brightness Max (default)
Contrast Max (default)
Color 50
Gamma 0
Black level 50
Auto local dimming High
Extended Dynamic Range High
Color Temp Expert 1 (see calibration thread for either Anderegg or CaptinCrunch settings here)

Good luck.
post #10123 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty4hockey View Post
If you're not seeing the DV logo in the upper right at the beginning of the presentation, and your picture adj menu is not showing HDR or Dolby Vision as the setting, you might uninstall the app and load it again. Disney+ did have a problem on Tuesday where they shut down the hi-def signal. Once they restored DV service by Wednesday, it's possible your app didn't pick it up correctly. Don't apologize for posting.

I've been here 15 years and've seen it all.
Thanks for reply and info. Logo now showing up. Weird though only dv and not 4k option. But I will take it. Lol
post #10124 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
For the price, there is nothing out there to compare it to..... Q90R series is better but open your pocket book wider.......

What about the Samsung Q80? I was leaning towards a Sony 85” 900f and then I compared it to the Q80 at BB. I thought the Q80 looked really good. Especially off angle compared to the 900f. It had really good blacks too. I’m really torn now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10125 of 10130 Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorblair View Post
Just because YOU like DV on the 900F doesn’t mean that there is not an issue for those that like DV a little brighter.
But nobody ever said that. I respect your right to be unhappy with your DV. Just don't tell me I am unhappy too, but hiding it to justify something. This is really [put classless comment here]. Can't we just be 50% happy and 50% unhappy without being asked to admit something and all switch to your unhappy camp?

Yes, I guess Sony could add a second profile for people, who prefer their DV a little lighter. Happy now?
acphydro likes this.

PS4 Pro

Last edited by lyubohar; Today at 01:05 AM.
post #10126 of 10130 Old Today, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
What about the Samsung Q80? I was leaning towards a Sony 85” 900f and then I compared it to the Q80 at BB. I thought the Q80 looked really good. Especially off angle compared to the 900f. It had really good blacks too. I’m really torn now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I've seen, the Samsung Q80 will handle blooming better than the X900F or 950G. The motion and color accuracy on Sony TVs are the main strengths.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #10127 of 10130 Old Today, 07:12 AM

Quote:
But nobody ever said that. I respect your right to be unhappy with your DV. Just don't tell me I am unhappy too, but hiding it to justify something. This is really [put classless comment here]. Can't we just be 50% happy and 50% unhappy without being asked to admit something and all switch to your unhappy camp?

Yes, I guess Sony could add a second profile for people, who prefer their DV a little lighter. Happy now?
Again with putting words in my mouth. Where did I ever say that those that liked DV on the 900F should be unhappy and hide how they feel? It would be asinine to say that and I never did. Heck, even I watch it on a few movies. All I've ever said is that people should have the choice on how they watch DV and not be limited (forced) to watch it a certain way. That is the only issue that I have. One more time...just because you are happy with DV on the 900F doesn't mean that there is not an issue for those of us (and there are a lot of us...Google it) that prefer it a little brighter and clearer. I'm wondering if Sony ever addresses this with an update if people will ever admit that there was an issue...I'm guessing not. And yes, if you are sincere and not being a smart @$$, I am happy

Maybe the word "admit" is rubbing people the wrong way like "admitting" they have a drug problem. How about "acknowledging" that there is a limit on watching DV? Does that sound better?

Thanks to those that have acknowledged that there is an issue and have tried to help me with different settings and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
post #10128 of 10130 Old Today, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I admit i do'nt have a problem with DV on the x900f. DV on in Saving Private Ryan takes it to another level compared to plain jane HDR 10 and netflix DV is definitely better than netflix no DV. Would i watch DV in the middle of day with lots of natural light, i could but you would be missing out. Any HDR is meant to be viewed in a darkened environment.
Maybe the x900f is not for you. The x900f is not without problems, nothing is. But glass half full in its price range it is a tv that performs very well.
post #10129 of 10130 Old Today, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
From what I've seen, the Samsung Q80 will handle blooming better than the X900F or 950G. The motion and color accuracy on Sony TVs are the main strengths.
Samsung doesn't necessarily handle blooming better, though its tech handles it differently. Samsung has aggressive dimming, overreacting sometimes if it suspects a blooming challenge. This can at times unnecessarily dim a picture to less attractive PQ.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #10130 of 10130 Old Today, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Frustrated New Owner

I had a H9F which was pretty damn good but when I saw the HDR picture on Youtube I wanted to keep the X900F.
However...
For whatever reason...Dolby Vision seems to no longer work on Youtube. It did earlier today. Even MORE frustrating, Netflix and Disney + cannot play 5.1 Audio thru my receiver using HDMI arc and it seems if I just switch it to plain 5.1 the picture doesnt look as good. Frustrating !! Will updating to Oreo help ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision