2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 340 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4786Likes

post #10171 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
I think we need to get Sony in on this if they don’t know about this issue. I too have tried all settings in those calibration threads and hdr/vision just looks meh on this tv. Sdr is amazing and wish there was a bright mode like on the 950. I mean Sony should include it especially to people that try to bypass the hdr on these tv’s. I really hope these people saying Dolby vision on these sets are just saying it to make them try to believe it themselves. The directors vision. Yadayada. If something looks amazing to me I should easily be in awe by it. Not be like uhm why is is so dingy and dark. Why does sdr bring out all the details. I shouldn’t be saying that. Anyway. I hope there is a bright hdr feature that Improves it for the people that “are” having issues.
Quote:
Funny thing is I first noticed this big difference in see too. Well second(first was the boys).
In See at the beginning with the cave and the fire and then in the Forrest. Sdr in the Forrest looked amazing. Hdr looked cloudy and dull to me.
Quote:
And if I go and try them and start crying because it makes me hate my tv even more what do I do?
I don’t prefer hdr at all on this set. At this point I disable it in everything. Tried everything. Just took too long to really dig deep into hdr on this tv. By then it was past the return window. I do have an extended warranty though.
Quote:
I still think there’s something wrong with my set. It just makes me not want to watch it. Should any features give me that kind of reaction?
This is anything but subtle. Sdr looks way better to everyone I show it to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfusco View Post
I have an Apple 4K hooked up to my Sony 900F and an Apple 4K hooked up to my LG B6 and there’s Definitely something not right with the way Sony handles DV way to dark! I hope there’s an update in the works to address it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post
This 100%. I’m using the internal apps on my 900F and initially Disney+ was displaying DV then it wasn’t and now it is back to showing DV. Strange. But to be honest with you I preferred the picture when it was non DV and just 4K Ultra HD. Mandalorian for example actually looked better when DV wasn’t working. It was brighter with more detail and had a crisper look to it. I keep hearing “it was the directors intent” , “it’s not meant to be searing bright”...blah blah blah. I guarantee you if I asked 10 people, 9 out of 10 would prefer the non DV version. It still looks good in DV but I wish I can turn it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Click on the help button at the bottom of your remote and it will bring up the help screen, where the firmware version is listed. Oreo is the version of the O/S, but its not the firmware per se.

Dim Dolby Vision is a common complaint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog2015 View Post
I would look at the X950G over this one due to the Dolby Vision issues with Netflix and now Disney plus personally.
Dolby Vision should NOT look worse than Standard Definition and it most certainly does on these sets. I bought mine from Walmart so I am hoping it clears up in my 90 day return window. But I will be keeping my eyes open for the 950G to go on sale.
Other than that, the TV is GREAT. But Dolby Vision is a problem, there are 100's of people complaining about it online and I am one of them now. Android is a little slow but not too bad. Not a deal breaker IMO. EDIT: Of note, I do see the Roku 4k HDR streaming sticks on sale, I may buy one of those because they do NOT support Dolby Vision and use HDR, which I would know will look better than this poor implementation of Dolby Vision that is on this TV.
Better watch out, y'all are going to ruffle a lot of feathers on here now Seriously, thanks to those that are trying to assist me; I really appreciate it.
johnfusco likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10172 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by iodeac View Post
Hi all, I'm not as tech-savvy as lots of people on here, but I just bought the 900F a few days ago and love it so far. Are there any must-change settings? I mainly watch live sports, lots of Netflix, and play video games. We usually stream HBOGo and Netflix through my Xbox One, and I just bought the XboxOne X today to take advantage of the processing.

Another thing I'm concerned about is that our HDMI cables are pretty old, about 10 years or so. We wired our HDMI cables behind the walls since we have a TV niche, so there wouldn't be any easy way to replace them. Can older HDMI cables still carry a signal from a 4K device like a DVD player or XboxOneX?
Here’s a trick. Get a female to female hdmi adapter. Unplug your old one. Plug in the new one to the adapter and tape around the entire adapter and two cables. Just pull the new cable through. It’s easy swapping cables this way with the tv still on the wall.
Craigslue and naustin like this.
post #10173 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
Quote:
Here’s a trick. Get a female to female hdmi adapter. Unplug your old one. Plug in the new one to the adapter and tape around the entire adapter and two cables. Just pull the new cable through. It’s easy swapping cables this way with the tv still on the wall.
@iodeac That is how the Pros do it. You can just tie the cables securely for running w/o buying a female/female adapter.
Craigslue likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10174 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
The 80R is more or less tied with the 900F/950G. The Samsung will never have Dolby Vision, 7% smaller, and more expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorblair View Post
Better watch out, y'all are going to ruffle a lot of feathers on here now Seriously, thanks to those that are trying to assist me; I really appreciate it.

Not sure why anyone who doesnt work for Sony would want to protect a manufacturer when we all have the same problem. Dolby Vision is awful on this TV. I dont want to hear any garbage about "that is the directors intent" either. if the director intended it to look worse than every other format on the TV including compressed cable TV, then I don't want any directors having any input on the PQ on my TV EVER.
Bklynblaze likes this.
post #10175 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I was fighting myself over the 900f and the 950g and to be honest I think the 900f may have a better picture with better blacks and contrast probably due to a slightly dimmer picture but the complaints of Dolby Vision on the 900f and the BF price drop of the 950g convinced me to maybe put up with a little more blooming for a Dolby Vision that may work better but not as good as other company's implementation of Dolby Vison. Then I seen the 75" price drop of the 900f and had me at odds with myself again! Anyway the price of the 75" was still a little more than I was willing to pay and with the DV I keep hearing about I went with the 65" 950G. For the life of me I don't understand how come Sony can't update the 900f with DV modes like the 950G? Either the 900f is out of space for more improvements after Dolby Vision update or Sony just doesn't want to put anymore effort into an old TV. Probably the later but I just don't see how it could take that much time and effort to add it to the 900f? The 900F owners would surely remember it in future buying decisions.
oog500 likes this.
post #10176 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The 80R is more or less tied with the 900F/950G. The Samsung will never have Dolby Vision, 7% smaller, and more expensive.
If the Dolby Vision doesn't work well enough to use it then Samsung not having it really isn't a disadvantage. Just saying.
I'm a little confused on the 7% smaller comment? What am I missing? BTW I just ordered my 65" 950G for the extra 7%!
post #10177 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post
If the Dolby Vision doesn't work well enough to use it then Samsung not having it really isn't a disadvantage. Just saying.
I'm a little confused on the 7% smaller comment? What am I missing? BTW I just ordered my 65" 950G for the extra 7%!
He was referring to the 82" Samsung vs an 85" Sony....7% less screen area
Craigslue likes this.
post #10178 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 2193
Quote:
Not sure why anyone who doesnt work for Sony would want to protect a manufacturer when we all have the same problem. Dolby Vision is awful on this TV. I dont want to hear any garbage about "that is the directors intent" either. if the director intended it to look worse than every other format on the TV including compressed cable TV, then I don't want any directors having any input on the PQ on my TV EVER.
The 900F is my 5th Dolby Vision capable TV that I've owned (LG C7, TCL P605, Vizio P75, Vizio PQ 65) and the Dolby Vision looks comparable to the other TVs. Having said that, I hate that Sony had to come out with their own proprietary Dolby Vision profile which forced me to dump my Philips DV UHD player due to incompatibility.
Ken McPherson and naustin like this.
post #10179 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you will find it is a minority that believe Sony's DV is too dim. I've read people complain about HDR10 as well. Not to throw shade, but many like a blinding Samsung like picture which DV isn't. Different choices for different eyeballs.
Cheddarhead likes this.
post #10180 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 900F is my 5th Dolby Vision capable TV that I've owned (LG C7, TCL P605, Vizio P75, Vizio PQ 65) and the Dolby Vision looks comparable to the other TVs. Having said that, I hate that Sony had to come out with their own proprietary Dolby Vision profile which forced me to dump my Philips DV UHD player due to incompatibility.
BB is going to have the Sony X700 real cheap for Black Friday. My Philips BDP7501 HDR10 player was built like a tank. The X700 is very flimsy compared to my Oppo 203.
post #10181 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
BB is going to have the Sony X700 real cheap for Black Friday. My Philips BDP7501 HDR10 player was built like a tank. The X700 is very flimsy compared to my Oppo 203.
The x700 was marked down yesterday to the price it was a week or so ago. Priced at one hundred and twenty nine right now. I went ahead and bought the x800m2 for just under two hundred 3 days ago! Two days before they marked down the x700! I think I'll just keep the 800 even thought it came with no movies.

Last edited by Craigslue; 11-25-2019 at 03:38 PM.
post #10182 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7156 Post(s)
Liked: 7196
Quote:
Going from the 82" to the 85", that is 7% difference.......
post #10183 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I think you will find it is a minority that believe Sony's DV is too dim. I've read people complain about HDR10 as well. Not to throw shade, but many like a blinding Samsung like picture which DV isn't. Different choices for different eyeballs.
I have yet to experience Dolby Vision in person but that will be changing soon after my 950G shows up. So far all I can go on is the complaints I continually hear from 900F owners which ended up being one of the main reasons I went with the 950G instead of the 900F. I currently watch a Samsung I calibrated and I have no real complaints considering I had and still have the plasma in my bedroom. The Samsung does well for an lcd and looks good. Does the basic's right. I have always been a fan of Sony TV's. I'm a fan of it all I like that extra pop sometimes and I like accuracy most of the time. To be honest I was really curious about the 7% comment. Now I know.
post #10184 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is a great hdr vs sdr comparison video. Very interesting especially starting around 6:40 mark. Wish he had the x900f as well!

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

https://youtu.be/e1i7mlx_A7Y
post #10185 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just ordered the 85-inch 900f from Serendipity. They appear to be a liquidator/refurbished distributor for Sony. Clearly taking a bit of a risk and might end up dealing with the hassle of a return. Given the small window of 30 days for return, I’m looking for any advice on what to test when it arrives, outside of physical damage.

I’m looking to upgrade from my Samsung JU7100 75- inch.

Thanks in advance. Any advice is appreciated.
post #10186 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting, I have a C7 OLED and Dolby Vision on that (along with everything else on the OLED) looks fantastic. DV does NOT look like that on the X900F at all. DV on the Sony literally looks worse than compressed cable, by a wide margin IMO.
gatorblair and johnfusco like this.
post #10187 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbjd View Post
Here is a great hdr vs sdr comparison video. Very interesting especially starting around 6:40 mark. Wish he had the x900f as well!

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

https://youtu.be/e1i7mlx_A7Y
The initial Spears Munsil scenes are Dolby Vision with dynamic metadata. The Logan disc is HDR10 with static metadata. With its more limited spectrum SDR is compressed and brighter. I believe the YouTube video is actually filmed in SDR so that might skew the images a bit. Thanks for posting.
post #10188 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Couple things to be aware of with OTA. Sony will have better PQ than Vizio or TCL due to the better processing (I have owned all 3)...BUT...

TCL is the only one that will provide a good guide. Vizio doesnt have one and Sony might as well not. Sony has a guide but when there is a channel repack (frequency change), the guide data is not adjuzted to reflect it. My Sony 950G has a grand total of ONE channel with guide data. Our TCL TV has a complete guide.

Any idea if Samsung still has the guide? The KS8000 I am replacing had a nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10189 of 11366 Old 11-25-2019, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Also, for those looking for a way to disable Dolby vision on 900f,looks like you can accomplish this with the new shield pro. Anyone try this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/dsfyyg/can_i_disable_dolby_vision_but_keep_hdr_on_the/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
post #10190 of 11366 Old 11-26-2019, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbjd View Post
Also, for those looking for a way to disable Dolby vision on 900f,looks like you can accomplish this with the new shield pro. Anyone try this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndro...m_source=share
Or you could buy a cheap Roku HDR streamer during the Black Friday sales. Roku doesn't pay for a Dolby Vision license so just passes simple HDR10.
post #10191 of 11366 Old 11-26-2019, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Loving my new 900F so far, but can anyone explain HDR to me and what sources usually carry it? I was playing around with the settings last night and changed it from Auto to HDR10, and all of a sudden everything looked overly bright and saturated. HLG was a little less so. Also I can't for the life of me get the XB1X to recognize that I have HDR enabled. The menu says Dolby Vision is enabled but that I won't be able to process HDR games or video. I have a new Onkyo receiver that I bought yesterday, but even hooking up the Xbox directly to the TV didn't give me those HDR options. I tried with HDMI port 2 as well as 3 which is the ARC one.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #10192 of 11366 Old 11-26-2019, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I was fighting myself over the 900f and the 950g and to be honest I think the 900f may have a better picture with better blacks and contrast probably due to a slightly dimmer picture but the complaints of Dolby Vision on the 900f and the BF price drop of the 950g convinced me to maybe put up with a little more blooming for a Dolby Vision that may work better but not as good as other company's implementation of Dolby Vison. Then I seen the 75" price drop of the 900f and had me at odds with myself again! Anyway the price of the 75" was still a little more than I was willing to pay and with the DV I keep hearing about I went with the 65" 950G. For the life of me I don't understand how come Sony can't update the 900f with DV modes like the 950G? Either the 900f is out of space for more improvements after Dolby Vision update or Sony just doesn't want to put anymore effort into an old TV. Probably the later but I just don't see how it could take that much time and effort to add it to the 900f? The 900F owners would surely remember it in future buying decisions.
I have not seen any DV material on my 900F so I cannot comment on that specific issue. However, have you all reported your issues to Sony? That is, the more people report about it the more likely Sony will address it with a SW update.
post #10193 of 11366 Old 11-26-2019, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Arrow

Quote:
I would look at the X950G over this one due to the Dolby Vision issues with Netflix and now Disney plus personally.
Dolby Vision should NOT look worse than Standard Definition and it most certainly does on these sets. I bought mine from Walmart so I am hoping it clears up in my 90 day return window. But I will be keeping my eyes open for the 950G to go on sale.
Other than that, the TV is GREAT. But Dolby Vision is a problem, there are 100's of people complaining about it online and I am one of them now. Android is a little slow but not too bad. Not a deal breaker IMO. EDIT: Of note, I do see the Roku 4k HDR streaming sticks on sale, I may buy one of those because they do NOT support Dolby Vision and use HDR, which I would know will look better than this poor implementation of Dolby Vision that is on this TV.

I appreciate the information! Can one not turn off Dolby Vision? I've been so far out of the game of HT stuff that all my stuff is 10 years old. Have a Yamaha HTR-6090 receiver, Def Tec Mythos speakers. At that time the biggest thing was either 720p or 1080... I'm almost lost in a sense with all the new stuff, if I'm honest. My whole thing with getting a newer tv is I'd like to eliminate my ps3 that I have hooked up to our tv now to stream Netflix and Prime. I thought it would be nice that all the new tvs have it built in.
It's somewhat daunting now trying to go through and figure out what is best in terms of a TV..lol Seems like people really like the 900F. I liked it compared to the Samsung because the colors were much nicer. But perhaps the sales associate telling me it was the older model is what is driving me away..lol Between the 900F and 950G for a 75" is $700 at the moment with black Friday pre-sales which I'm trying to justify if that is worth the added expense, again comparing it to what I currently have, which is just a basic visio lcd that's old... The 900F has to blow what I have now completely away.

-Nigel

~NSG~
post #10194 of 11366 Old 11-26-2019, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Loving my new 900F so far, but can anyone explain HDR to me and what sources usually carry it? I was playing around with the settings last night and changed it from Auto to HDR10, and all of a sudden everything looked overly bright and saturated. HLG was a little less so. Also I can't for the life of me get the XB1X to recognize that I have HDR enabled. The menu says Dolby Vision is enabled but that I won't be able to process HDR games or video. I have a new Onkyo receiver that I bought yesterday, but even hooking up the Xbox directly to the TV didn't give me those HDR options. I tried with HDMI port 2 as well as 3 which is the ARC one.

See my post from yesterday on the previous page. Leave the HDR Mode on 'Auto'. Never change that, because it will force a color palette suitable for HDR even while you aren't actually viewing HDR, making everything look way too saturated and terrible. You need to use HDMI 2 or 3 and set it to the enhanced format. This is detailed in my post from yesterday.
PlanetAVS likes this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #10195 of 11366 Old 11-26-2019, 07:40 AM

Thanks, I did see your post and I went and bought a 12 foot high speed cable from Walmart. I was already using HDMI input 3 for ARC, but I changed it to 2 with no results. I also picked Enhanced Mode and it didn't seem to change anything. I'll play around with it some more tonight.

post #10196 of 11366 Old 11-26-2019, 07:42 AM

This might be a dumb question, but I know OTA broadcasts don't exceed 1080p. If I subscribe to YouTube TV, would those channels be in 1080p or 4k?

post #10197 of 11366 Old 11-26-2019, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I had the same issue with my xbox. Before you connect any HDR device via HDMI port 2 and 3, you will need to set the HDMI signal format to enhanced format from the external input menu.

To do this, press home on your remote. This hopefully brings you to the home page where you can see all your apps. At the top of the screen, there should be a settings wheel, click on that then select external inputs, HDMI signal format and then select Enhanced format.

I may have messed up the button to initially press as my TV is now packed as I am moving tomorrow. I will set it up again tomorrow night, if your having issues still.

See below.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony.png
Views:	35
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	2645872  
post #10198 of 11366 Old 11-26-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I cancelled my order, but still considering the 900f. Reading through all of the Dolby Vision complaints were my reasons for cancelling. Our primary streaming device is an Apple TV and it sounds like you cannot disable DV on ATV, without also preventing HDR - a feature I'd expect from any new TV. Is the workaround to just use either an Nvidia Shield TV and/or Roku? Without DV enabled, aren't you on the same playing field as the new Samsung TVs, which don't support DV?

I have a Bose soundbar which has one HDMI for ARC. Is it correct that the Sony only has two 'enchanced' HDMI inputs? If I waste one on the Bose, that would leave me with one - presumably for an Nvidia Shield. What type of output would I expect from the ATV using one of the other inputs?

I had been looking at the Samsung Q80R before ending up at the 900f refurb. I don't want to make a poor decision. 82" / 85" TVs aren't easy enough to locate to a different room in the house.
post #10199 of 11366 Old 11-26-2019, 07:54 AM

This helps. I'm at work now but basically the idea is to disconnect everything from the TV once I get home, change the settings, then plug the HDMI back into port 2 or 3.

post #10200 of 11366 Old 11-26-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Thanks, I did see your post and I went and bought a 12 foot high speed cable from Walmart. I was already using HDMI input 3 for ARC, but I changed it to 2 with no results. I also picked Enhanced Mode and it didn't seem to change anything. I'll play around with it some more tonight.

Is the Xbox One X connected directly to the TV or are you using a receiver? If you already switched the HDMI port to Enhanced, I would then question the HDMI cable. Is it a Premium Certified cable?

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page