2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 359 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4874Likes

post #10741 of 11690 Old 01-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does anyone know how to get rid of image retention/burn in on an X900F? I use my 49" X900F as a PC monitor and after 9 months I have a faint image of the windows start logo etched into my screen. Maybe I got a defective panel?

There is also a lighter band on the left hand side of my tv where my icons were, although it doesn't seem like burn in since it's a straight solid band. it makes lighter colors inside the band look slightly lighter than they should be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows 10 start icon.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	491.7 KB
ID:	2667706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lighter Band on Left.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	2667708  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 11690 Old 01-10-2020, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killmassacre View Post
Does anyone know how to get rid of image retention/burn in on an X900F? I use my 49" X900F as a PC monitor and after 9 months I have a faint image of the windows start logo etched into my screen. Maybe I got a defective panel?

There is also a lighter band on the left hand side of my tv where my icons were, although it doesn't seem like burn in since it's a straight solid band. it makes lighter colors inside the band look slightly lighter than they should be.
LCD panels are about as burn-in-proof as you can get. If the logo and icons don't go away after 10 minutes (which would be image retention), you may want to contact Sony about a warranty repair. I have LCD computer monitors that are years old and have no sign of any burn-in.
post #10743 of 11690 Old 01-10-2020, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
LCD panels are about as burn-in-proof as you can get. If the logo and icons don't go away after 10 minutes (which would be image retention), you may want to contact Sony about a warranty repair. I have LCD computer monitors that are years old and have no sign of any burn-in.

Ok thanks. I first noticed it two weeks ago and it wont go away, I guess my panel must be defective. I'll have to contant Sony about it next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10744 of 11690 Old 01-10-2020, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 32
As far as I know running a non static image such as a movie would fix the problem.
naustin likes this.
post #10745 of 11690 Old 01-11-2020, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there anywhere online where you can get a full owners manual or do they not provide those anymore?
post #10746 of 11690 Old 01-11-2020, 02:31 AM

Has anyone been able to make the microphone button on the Android TV app work? Thank you
post #10747 of 11690 Old 01-11-2020, 06:34 AM
216dB Shockwave of pain

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***RE: "GIGO=Garbage in garbage out! The only accurate and repeatable method to assess a 4K HDR TV's PQ is to feed the TV an actual 4K UHD via a 4K UHD Player. Otherwise what you are evaluating if the feed signal quality and not the TV."

I respectfully disagree with this statement. There are many "4K" TV's that look just great with 4K/UHD source content. In fact, I'd venture to say that all things being equal - - you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between many sets with the same 4K/UHD source if they are properly dialed into, settings wise.

What sets the Sony apart, IMHO, is the incredible "upscaling" engine via Sony's proprietary 4K HDR Processor X1™ Extreme. Obviously, the better the source, the better the picture. But I find my Sony 900F does a very good job with heavily compressed Comcast Cable 720p content and an even better job with streaming 1080p material. To me - - the only true way to evaluate a TV is to get it home and look at it with the sources and content that YOU watch consistently.

Driving a car on a pristine road is far different than driving on a road with snow & ice. While all tires (most, for sure) will do fine on a pristine road, they certainly will not respond the same under difficult conditions. Maybe not the best of analogies but applicable to how TV's handle non 4K content - - which is a high percentage of what folks watch these days, especially if you have cable or satellite TV.
Hi Ricoflashback,

You make some good points. I have seen some amazing PQ with streaming content as well. In some cases it was hard to tell between the Streamed content and the UHD based version. However, this is the rarity. 95% of streamed content is low resolution in the first place. The problem lies in the Compression algorithm(s) used by the various Providers. Many of which operate on a moment by moment throttle. So to use streamed content to assess and dial in the PQ of your set is not advised. You just can't be certain that what your adjusting is the TV set's actual PQ or the Streamed Content PQ. That was my primary point. Many people here tend to conflate a bad stream PQ to the TV' PQ. Thinking the TV looks like crap, when its not the TV it's the compressed Stream Video content that looks like crap.

I respect your opinion and appreciate your thinking in response. In your car analogy what would you be comparing? The Cars performance or the Car's Tires performance? In this example the Car is the TV and the Tires are the Streaming content. In the above example I think you are judging the performance of the Tires on Snow and Ice. Variables. The Tires are the variables.

I know of no Professional Calibrators that use Streamed Content to calibrate a TV set. While they may use a particular Picture Setting dialed in specifically for Streamed content. This Streaming calibration setting will be a set of PQ compromised adjustments/settings. Reducing certain PQ functions to help improve how Streamed content displays. It will not reflect the full PQ potential of the TV.

I don't mean to sound argumentative. As you made some good points about how Great some Streamed content can look and about how much Streamed content has become the lions share of what people watch. All of which I agree with.
Cheddarhead and Peter Hayes like this.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #10748 of 11690 Old 01-11-2020, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7313 Post(s)
Liked: 7339
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
Technically you can not burn in a led, no phosphorus to burn in However you can get a stuck image, it can happen. Super rare though....
hodgjy likes this.
post #10749 of 11690 Old 01-11-2020, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Hi Ricoflashback,

You make some good points. I have seen some amazing PQ with streaming content as well. In some cases it was hard to tell between the Streamed content and the UHD based version. However, this is the rarity. 95% of streamed content is low resolution in the first place. The problem lies in the Compression algorithm(s) used by the various Providers. Many of which operate on a moment by moment throttle. So to use streamed content to assess and dial in the PQ of your set is not advised. You just can't be certain that what your adjusting is the TV set's actual PQ or the Streamed Content PQ. That was my primary point. Many people here tend to conflate a bad stream PQ to the TV' PQ. Thinking the TV looks like crap, when its not the TV it's the compressed Stream Video content that looks like crap.

I respect your opinion and appreciate your thinking in response. In your car analogy what would you be comparing? The Cars performance or the Car's Tires performance? In this example the Car is the TV and the Tires are the Streaming content. In the above example I think you are judging the performance of the Tires on Snow and Ice. Variables. The Tires are the variables.

I know of no Professional Calibrators that use Streamed Content to calibrate a TV set. While they may use a particular Picture Setting dialed in specifically for Streamed content. This Streaming calibration setting will be a set of PQ compromised adjustments/settings. Reducing certain PQ functions to help improve how Streamed content displays. It will not reflect the full PQ potential of the TV.

I don't mean to sound argumentative. As you made some good points about how Great some Streamed content can look and about how much Streamed content has become the lions share of what people watch. All of which I agree with.
***And I certainly respect your opinion and enjoy reading your posts. Let me try to clarify my point. The road, in essence, is the variable (which represents source content.) And I’m sure I could have come up with a better example and one of my college professors would have probably given me a “C” for that grade. (But not one professor whose multiple choice (guess) test included the following: 1. All of these, 2. None of these, 3. Some of these, 4. a & c, 5. b & d.) I digress.

The road or source content, if a quality 4K/HDR feed (regardless of the source) is going to look superb on most 4K sets period. Cable, however, and to an extent satellite as well — is more of a challenge to upscale to 4K and not all TV’s will have the same technology or processing capabilities of the Sony 900F. If your goal is to evaluate the picture quality of a prospective TV you are looking to buy, then I’d recommend writing down what you watch the most and break it down by percentage. Then, compare the source content you watch the most and use that as your primary decision making criteria. That’s very hard to do unless you have the TV in your home under your viewing conditions.

If you solely evaluate a TV’s picture quality by the best source (in which you reference a UHD player and 4K/HDR disc) then you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between many 4K sets and you might as well go with a cheaper display if that is all you watch.

Again, my main point is that the Sony 900F really shines with all source content but especially with non 4K sources. Not all 4K TV’s can make that claim.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #10750 of 11690 Old 01-11-2020, 01:27 PM
216dB Shockwave of pain

Quote:
***And I certainly respect your opinion and enjoy reading your posts. Let me try to clarify my point. The road, in essence, is the variable (which represents source content.) And I’m sure I could have come up with a better example and one of my college professors would have probably given me a “C” for that grade. (But not one professor whose multiple choice (guess) test included the following: 1. All of these, 2. None of these, 3. Some of these, 4. a & c, 5. b & d.) I digress.

The road or source content, if a quality 4K/HDR feed (regardless of the source) is going to look superb on most 4K sets period. Cable, however, and to an extent satellite as well — is more of a challenge to upscale to 4K and not all TV’s will have the same technology or processing capabilities of the Sony 900F. If your goal is to evaluate the picture quality of a prospective TV you are looking to buy, then I’d recommend writing down what you watch the most and break it down by percentage. Then, compare the source content you watch the most and use that as your primary decision making criteria. That’s very hard to do unless you have the TV in your home under your viewing conditions.

If you solely evaluate a TV’s picture quality by the best source (in which you reference a UHD player and 4K/HDR disc) then you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between many 4K sets and you might as well go with a cheaper display if that is all you watch.

Again, my main point is that the Sony 900F really shines with all source content but especially with non 4K sources. Not all 4K TV’s can make that claim.
Hi Ricoflashback,

I agree with all your points. I just realized in my original post that we are discussing I neglected to quote the specific post I was referring. Without which my post just looks like a basic statement and loses the context of my original points.

So without further ado, if you go to post # 10705. This is the specific post I was referring to. Maybe this will put my comments and opinions in perspective. I apologize and now see the reasoning behind your replies.
eddieras and Ricoflashback like this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #10751 of 11690 Old 01-12-2020, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Hi Ricoflashback,

I agree with all your points. I just realized in my original post that we are discussing I neglected to quote the specific post I was referring. Without which my post just looks like a basic statement and loses the context of my original points.

So without further ado, if you go to post # 10705. This is the specific post I was referring to. Maybe this will put my comments and opinions in perspective. I apologize and now see the reasoning behind your replies.
***Got it! All is good. Absolutely no need for an apology and thank you for helping me understand your post.
eddieras and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #10752 of 11690 Old 01-12-2020, 07:02 AM
216dB Shockwave of pain

Quote:
***Got it! All is good. Absolutely no need for an apology and thank you for helping me understand your post.
Hi Ricoflashback,

You are very welcome. Thank you for making me rethink my position. It is conversations like the one we just had, that make AVS a great place to come and learn. Have a wonderful Sunday Sir.
eddieras likes this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #10753 of 11690 Old 01-12-2020, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrey View Post
Is there anywhere online where you can get a full owners manual or do they not provide those anymore?

I assume this is not sufficient? If so, try this link for explanation of the picture settings. Hope that helps.

Sony XBR-55X900F | Xfinity Cable Box | Nvidia Shield TV | Roku 3 | Oppo DV-980H | Sony PS3
post #10754 of 11690 Old 01-12-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawaji View Post
I assume this is not sufficient? If so, try this link for explanation of the picture settings. Hope that helps.
ok Thanks. So they no longer offer a complete owners manual for a specific model?
post #10755 of 11690 Old 01-12-2020, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
ok Thanks. So they no longer offer a complete owners manual for a specific model?
Try this site https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...droid-/manuals

also try Help button on the Remote.
gregrey likes this.
post #10756 of 11690 Old 01-12-2020, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2352 Post(s)
Liked: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawaji View Post
Quote:
The manual is there, you may have missed it in the embedded link (underlined above)
post #10757 of 11690 Old 01-12-2020, 03:20 PM

The largest file is 5mb which could not be a complete manual?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #10758 of 11690 Old 01-12-2020, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's a web based PDF file that is 395 pages long. That's how Sony publishes them these days
post #10759 of 11690 Old 01-12-2020, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi All

I am still trawling through the previous posts so my apologies but can i ask about the Dolby Vision issue... yep its dark as dark can be...Mandalorian on Disney+ and other recent Netflix shows (Lost in Space S2) were pretty unwatchable on the tv installed app.

I have the Oreo update running with DV enabled.

I understand that the Netflix app makes DV incredibly dark on this set and i have resigned myself to watching Netflix though my ATV 4k with settings set at SDR and NO frame rate matching. This makes the image perfect.

Does anyone know if Sony are intending to issue a fix akin to the LG DV IQ ?

I tried asking the question on our local Sony forums (im in NZ)..but no response.

I did wonder if i could change the frame rate of the set from 60hz to 50hz but cant find a setting to do this?? is this possible to force the DV to stop ? or is it possible to roll back the update ?

I tried doing a factory reset but the update doesnt seem to roll back.. i would love the option to switch off DV and revert to HDR/4k.

I will go back to trawling the responses....

Much appreciated...

by the way...these forums are awesome and a huge resource globally !!!!!!

Sony 65X9000F- Bose 700 soundbar and sub- Marantz SR 5013 B&W 602, CC6, CCM6, ASW600 - BEnQ W1080ST 100” ambertech motorised screen - Sony UBP X700 - ATV 4k
post #10760 of 11690 Old 01-12-2020, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbon View Post
Hi All

I am still trawling through the previous posts so my apologies but can i ask about the Dolby Vision issue... yep its dark as dark can be...Mandalorian on Disney+ and other recent Netflix shows (Lost in Space S2) were pretty unwatchable on the tv installed app.

I understand that the Netflix app makes DV incredibly dark on this set and i have resigned myself to watching Netflix though my ATV 4k with settings set at SDR and NO frame rate matching. This makes the image perfect.

I tried asking the question on our local Sony forums (im in NZ)..but no response.

I did wonder if i could change the frame rate of the set from 60hz to 50hz but cant find a setting to do this?? is this possible to force the DV to stop ? or is it possible to roll back the update ?

I tried doing a factory reset but the update doesnt seem to roll back.. i would love the option to switch off DV and revert to HDR/4k.

Much appreciated...

I wouldn't expect the dark Dolby Vision to be fixed on the 900F. It was addressed in the 950G with different Dolby Vision presets but nothing was fixed other than what has already been delivered in the 900F firmware updates.

Regarding your ATV4K, have you tried enabling matching dynamic range? The native 900F Netflix app might be too dark but ATV4K DV might give you results that you are satisfied with.
post #10761 of 11690 Old 01-12-2020, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Just picked up one of these bad boys in 85” for my new house.

Unbelievable price, too.

Haven’t played with it much as I’m still moving in but I’ll get it figured out soon enough!
Panson likes this.

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
post #10762 of 11690 Old 01-13-2020, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Can't use Roku or Fire Stick on my TV?

Question: I stream YTTV and have my TV/PC connected via HDMI 3, and my A/V receiver connected to HDMI 2 on my TV (ARC) because they are 2.0. But if i want to buy a Roku Ultra/Fire Stick 4K i can't use HDMI 1 or 4 because they don't do 2160/60. When i undo my cable to the ARC, i get no sound.
I currently use my Mouse/Sony remote, and the TV is perfect, but am i missing something here?
post #10763 of 11690 Old 01-13-2020, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
Question: I stream YTTV and have my TV/PC connected via HDMI 3, and my A/V receiver connected to HDMI 2 on my TV (ARC) because they are 2.0. But if i want to buy a Roku Ultra/Fire Stick 4K i can't use HDMI 1 or 4 because they don't do 2160/60. When i undo my cable to the ARC, i get no sound.
I currently use my Mouse/Sony remote, and the TV is perfect, but am i missing something here?
OK, figured it out. I will use an optical cable from my TV to my A/V receiver and then i can use my HDMI 3 cable from a Roku Ultra/Fire Stick 4K. This will allow me full bandwidth from HDMI 2 & 3 on my Sony 900F.
post #10764 of 11690 Old 01-13-2020, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
To those wondering if this TV will receive more updates.. My w800c still received an update in 2019 and it came out in 2015/16. I expect my 900F to get at least one more too.
post #10765 of 11690 Old 01-13-2020, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
OK, figured it out. I will use an optical cable from my TV to my A/V receiver and then i can use my HDMI 3 cable from a Roku Ultra/Fire Stick 4K. This will allow me full bandwidth from HDMI 2 & 3 on my Sony 900F.

Why not just run everything through the avr, then into arc on tv. Why even use optical?
post #10766 of 11690 Old 01-13-2020, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
For DV I used Gama to 3 and dynamic contrast to medium that helped a lot
post #10767 of 11690 Old 01-13-2020, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
For DV I used Gama to 3 and dynamic contrast to medium that helped a lot
at gamma 3 black are almost grey. i watched football games using DTV this week end, although it was in HD picture was brighter, when i watched Joker Movie in 4K DV on Apple TV it was so dark, same movie looks great on OLED C6, i am to the point seriously thinking turn off DV and watch in regular 4K it makes Picture looks much better. SONY has to give the option of HDR bright and HDR dark like in LG OLED. no wonder lot of shows are so dark on Netflix DV as well.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Parasound 2250 V2: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEMS
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Belkin PF30: Panamax
Harmony Elite Remote: Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #10768 of 11690 Old 01-13-2020, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Hi All

Much appreciated...

I watched the Lost in Space in DV on my 900F via my Apple TV 4K as well as my TCL R617 built in Roku and didn’t encounter any issues. I haven’t used the native apps in quite a long time on the Sony but last I remember some Netflix shows in DV were great and some weren’t. On the contrary, my TCL R617 has options for DV Dark, Normal and Bright but I find that the picture doesn’t look as natural (the colors look cooler and often oversaturated making it look fake)on anything but dark which is what DV on my 900F looks like. It’s so close to looking the same I’ve assessed that the 900F is how it’s intended to be watched which is my preference anyway. I always watch in the dark with bias light on. I can understand their decision to boost brightness at the expense of the overall dynamic range on the 950G to cater to those that have other preferences. I’ve never even thought about DV issues until I’ve seen a small number of our members here posting about it.

Reminds me of people complaining about a certain game of thrones episode being too dark but I didn’t have any complaints with it. To me this is a user preference issue that Sony either can’t or won’t cater to on the 900F but have decided to do so moving forward. I don’t blame them because it’ll help them sell more TVs. I hope they are able to some day add those DV options to the 900F for those of you who want it to look different than it does.

It is certainly possible for Sony to allow you to rollback firmware but that’s a very very difficult road to go down and I’d be shocked if they ever send anyone a file allowing them to do so.

Unfortunately I can’t help with your refresh rate issue. As far as I’m aware those modes change on their own or the TV compensates for the incoming signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robbon likes this.
post #10769 of 11690 Old 01-13-2020, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
So I am going to be pulling the trigger on a new TV in the coming weeks and I think I've decided on either the 65" X950G or a 65" X900F. The X900 fits the budget better with the current deals. But wondering if the X950 has any real compelling reason to spend the extra $? I will be using a PS4 Pro, Xbox One OG, and different streaming services. No cable or satellite.

I've read about the slow UI of this tv but I have an Amazon fire stick 4k so wouldn't be using the built in apps anyway unless there was some reason that they looked better than the fire stick 4k? I also heard about the bad speakers but planning on getting a sound bar eventually. So I'm thinking the savings on the x900 is worth it unless there is any major picture quality improvements.

Last edited by Alex Larsen; 01-13-2020 at 05:46 PM.
post #10770 of 11690 Old 01-13-2020, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Hi All

Much appreciated...

Roku stick doesn't support dv, if used the problem is solved, no?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page