2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4351Likes

post #1081 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Apple TV seems like the perfect companion to this set. Picture is beautiful, and HDR 10 just doesn't cut it in the face of DV.

Has anyone noticed a bright flicker between scene changes and camera cuts? I think it's the backlight having some latency adjusting brightness.

Samsung 55" JS8500, 48" JS9000, 65" HU8550, 46" ES7100, 55" D8000 (RIP)

I Like Digital!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
basid786: I am with you on Android, do you have it hardwired? Typically that can take care of the issue, but most TV seem to get the App part done in a sluggish way, I have better luck with stand alone units like Apple TV/Amazon and Roku. Thanks for the heads up, I am getting my basement done so I can do both or either... But a 5K that 85" looks very good for the money, and would most likely spend a lot more doing a 4K projector.
Hard wired. I can't use Roku, need the HDMI 2,3 for my PC and PS4. Then I got a Wii U that also needs hdmi. Might get switch ..so yah, need all my HDMI ports. But Don't get me wrong, android tv is still usable and I can deal with it.
post #1083 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Apple TV seems like the perfect companion to this set. Picture is beautiful, and HDR 10 just doesn't cut it in the face of DV.

Has anyone noticed a bright flicker between scene changes and camera cuts? I think it's the backlight having some latency adjusting brightness.
None, yet but I am not looking for problems. Well at least yet.
I have the 900E in bedroom and will switch all my TVs here over to 4K Apple eventually as I can get them through work via a points system we have... It would be cool if Oppo came out with a stream based system, as they seemed to get everything right on their Blu-Ray/4K players a shame they are going away..

basid786: Next question would be your speed of your Internet.. I got lucky and got a introductory offer for 1gig fiber for a year for $70 bucks, I will most likely go back down to 300meg which is more that adequate enough, as most devices can't take advantage of that speed anyway. But seems pretty quick using the TV's android menu.. Roku - 4K is much better though.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by basid786 View Post
Hard wired. I can't use Roku, need the HDMI 2,3 for my PC and PS4. Then I got a Wii U that also needs hdmi. Might get switch ..so yah, need all my HDMI ports. But Don't get me wrong, android tv is still usable and I can deal with it.
This is one of the few gripes I have with this set (the others being the clown feet and sluggish Android performance), why can't all the hdmi ports be full bandwidth? The Oleds from LG have all of their HDMI inputs as full bandwidth. I'm just glad I run my audio thru a receiver that has 8 hdmi 2.0 inputs, otherwise I'd probably get a switch or two.
post #1085 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The slightly gray-ish black bars don't even bother me anymore. I am not sure why I obsessed over that in the first place. I think I was just used to the perfect black bars coming from OLED and was trying to judge the black level from the letterbox bars. You are not going to get perfect black bars with LCD, especially during HDR content and judging contrast from the blacks bars is just plain dumb. When it comes to the actual content itself, the picture has amazing blacks and that's what counts.

With that being said, I am really beginning to love this TV the more I use it. I don't think any other TV upgrade has given me as much wow factor as my 900F has. The huge increase in size to a 75" probably has most to do with it though.

But aside from size, even the PQ itself continues to amaze me, and I came from an OLED! There is something about the image on the 900F that just seems so smooth and pleasing. I can't quite describe it. I am not sure if it's the great processing that Sony does. Maybe it's because I've never had a 75" before and the extra size increase is making me feel that way? Who knows. It just is so... nice. "Smooth and pleasing" is probably the best way I can describe it. It's just really satisfying to look at, no matter what content is being displayed.

But the 900F isn't even a top of the line set, yet it still feels like it is. It's probably not fair to give the PQ so much praise since I don't actually have another 75" to compare it to. I am sure I would feel different about the 900F PQ if I compared it to a 77" OLED, but at least compared to a 65" OLED, I much prefer the 900F. I am not sure if that is a testament to how good the 900F PQ is, or how important size is. Either way, 75" gives me a hint of that 'cinema' feeling. I never really got that feeling on a 65". I can absolutely see the appeal of getting the 85" 900F, but unfortunately that is a bit more than I am willing to spend. Maybe one day!
RJVR23 likes this.

Last edited by reasoner512; 06-05-2018 at 02:02 PM.
post #1086 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
New 85" set - HDR/DV question

Just got the 85" installed. Size is perfect for our viewing position (about 11' away). Still trying to get all the settings dialed in.

Newbie question - is there an easy way to tell if you are receiving and displaying HDR and/or DV on the TV? Trying to make sure I'm getting the most out of my AppleTV and Oppo UDP-203.
Garman likes this.
post #1087 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHalverson View Post
Just got the 85" installed. Size is perfect for our viewing position (about 11' away). Still trying to get all the settings dialed in.

Newbie question - is there an easy way to tell if you are receiving and displaying HDR and/or DV on the TV? Trying to make sure I'm getting the most out of my AppleTV and Oppo UDP-203.
Hit action menu and choose picture settings. There should be an HDR icon displayed. You can also tell because the brightness should be at max. For DV, the picture mode will actually say 'Dobly Vision' picture mode.
Buckeye Dave likes this.
post #1088 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:

Most obvious for DV is your screen will go to 100% brightness. Especially noticeable if your running in the inbuilt apps.

Should also see a DV logo in the top right hand of the screen for about 6 to 8 seconds if its DV. Otherwise as stated jump in the settings there will be either a HDR or Dolby Vision notification or nothing (which is SDR).
Buckeye Dave likes this.
post #1089 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3819 Post(s)
Liked: 4694
Quote:

You should get DV from the Apple TV 4K but not yet from the Oppo 203. Oppo is suppose to release the Dolby Vision update for Sony TVs this week, though.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#fd8b82870edf

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #1090 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyates11 View Post
Most obvious for DV is your screen will go to 100% brightness. Especially noticeable if your running in the inbuilt apps.

Should also see a DV logo in the top right hand of the screen for about 6 to 8 seconds if its DV. Otherwise as stated jump in the settings there will be either a HDR or Dolby Vision notification or nothing (which is SDR).

So is it more difficult for it to handle for example a Roku Ultra?? I ask as I am looking to get a Ultra as we are cord cutters here. I will be feeding it thru my AVR for almost all inputs except the PS4 and Xbone. I dont need those blasting thru the surround sound at all hours of the day shaking the walls (kids).
post #1091 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
You should get DV from the Apple TV 4K but not yet from the Oppo 203. Oppo is suppose to release the Dolby Vision update for Sony TVs this week, though.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#fd8b82870edf
Oppo's update is here too
post #1092 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3819 Post(s)
Liked: 4694
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Oppo's update is here too
I saw that. Also saw somebody reporting bugs already when playing DV content. I'm going to wait until the official firmware is released.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #1093 of 9719 Old 06-05-2018, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if this is something I just hadn't noticed or also part of the latest update, but this television is now streaming Dolby Atmos from Netflix. Previously I had thought this was exclusive to LG, Xbox and Windows 10.
post #1094 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Dolby Vision Default Settings

I noticed that when the 900F automatically goes into Dolby Vision mode, Motionflow is set to "Standard". Also, brightness is at maximum. To my eyes, the Standard Motionflow setting doesn't look as objectionable with the Dolby Vision content I've watched so far compared to non Dolby Vision content. Changing the setting to True Cinema, where I usually have it, doesn't seem to make a big difference. Are my eyes deceiving me here or is Motionflow less aggressive with Dolby Vision?

Also, are most of you leaving brightness at Maximum, or adjusting it to your room lighting?
post #1095 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Excellent Sony Warranty Repair Experience With 900F

My two month old 65 inch 900F developed a problem with it's infrared sensor. It wouldn't accept any commands unless the remote was within about 12 inches of the sensor on the front of the TV. After much troubleshooting, Sony set up a repair ticket under warranty. I admit that I was surprised how smoothly everything went. Sony kept me updated with both phone calls and emails as the process unfolded. There was a brief delay due to the parts being backordered, but again, Sony kept me informed.

The repair person arrived as scheduled yesterday. He was very pleasant and professional. I helped him set the TV on some blankets on the floor so that he could work on it. It was fun to see the inside of the 900F after the back was removed. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that what I saw looked pretty much like the innards of a computer.

I was concerned that all of the moving, disassembling, and physical strain on the TV during repair would cause a problem with the LCD panel, but, upon completion of the repair, the screen was perfect.

I've owned Sony TVs for over 40 years. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with one and the first repair under warranty. The great warranty experience I had will definitely be one factor in future decisions on which TV to buy. I don't mean to sound like a Sony commercial, it's just that I expected the worst and got the opposite!
post #1096 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I noticed that when the 900F automatically goes into Dolby Vision mode, Motionflow is set to "Standard". Also, brightness is at maximum. To my eyes, the Standard Motionflow setting doesn't look as objectionable with the Dolby Vision content I've watched so far compared to non Dolby Vision content. Changing the setting to True Cinema, where I usually have it, doesn't seem to make a big difference. Are my eyes deceiving me here or is Motionflow less aggressive with Dolby Vision?

Also, are most of you leaving brightness at Maximum, or adjusting it to your room lighting?
I am pretty sure that mine did not default the motionflow to standard, but I will confirm in a few hours.
post #1097 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 02:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post

It only went to standard because it’s a picture preset and not like HDR10 mode where it just changes some settings. You should set motionflow to whatever you like. I keep mine on true cinema at all times. SDR, HDR, sports etc. I think that your eyes are deceiving you but I could be wrong.

You’ll want to leave brightness maxed out when watching HDR content especially Dolby Vision where it has the ability to alter the image based on what your TV is capable of. I’d only turn it down if it was too bright for you and hurt your eyes. I personally use brightness around 20 during the day and 10 at night for SDR content and leave it on max for all HDR content. If you find it too bright at night either turn the brightness down some or use a bias light.
post #1098 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am loving my 900F 85"!

However I am noticing that through HDMI 3 using ARC that I am only getting 3.1 (front L, R and Center) and not 5.1. My AVR (Onkyo shows 5.1 on screen).

Am I doing something wrong or do I need to stop using internal apps and go with Apple 4k TV?

Murphy's New Law --
"If it doesn't fit, force it.
If it breaks it was meant to"
post #1099 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbett View Post
I am pretty sure that mine did not default the motionflow to standard, but I will confirm in a few hours.
Just checked it and mine was using the same settings I had left for HDR...
post #1100 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For dolby vision content.... what settings should be used for live color and cinemotion?
post #1101 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Buckeye Dave likes this.

Media Room= GoldenEar Supersat 60s/GE 60c/BP7004s/SuperCubeII/A-60s/Pio-SC-95
post #1102 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoner512 View Post
The slightly gray-ish black bars don't even bother me anymore. I am not sure why I obsessed over that in the first place. I think I was just used to the perfect black bars coming from OLED and was trying to judge the black level from the letterbox bars. You are not going to get perfect black bars with LCD, especially during HDR content and judging contrast from the blacks bars is just plain dumb. When it comes to the actual content itself, the picture has amazing blacks and that's what counts.

With that being said, I am really beginning to love this TV the more I use it. I don't think any other TV upgrade has given me as much wow factor as my 900F has. The huge increase in size to a 75" probably has most to do with it though.

But aside from size, even the PQ itself continues to amaze me, and I came from an OLED! There is something about the image on the 900F that just seems so smooth and pleasing. I can't quite describe it. I am not sure if it's the great processing that Sony does. Maybe it's because I've never had a 75" before and the extra size increase is making me feel that way? Who knows. It just is so... nice. "Smooth and pleasing" is probably the best way I can describe it. It's just really satisfying to look at, no matter what content is being displayed.

But the 900F isn't even a top of the line set, yet it still feels like it is. It's probably not fair to give the PQ so much praise since I don't actually have another 75" to compare it to. I am sure I would feel different about the 900F PQ if I compared it to a 77" OLED, but at least compared to a 65" OLED, I much prefer the 900F. I am not sure if that is a testament to how good the 900F PQ is, or how important size is. Either way, 75" gives me a hint of that 'cinema' feeling. I never really got that feeling on a 65". I can absolutely see the appeal of getting the 85" 900F, but unfortunately that is a bit more than I am willing to spend. Maybe one day!
Okay this right here is what I need help with. I sent two LG B7A's back (65 inch), as one had a cracked screen and another had a green dot during power up. I want the 75 inch 900f and everything is perfect about it except...I'm concerned about the viewing angle. Honestly I don't know how many people only have one couch sitting dead on anyway. Doesn't everyone have some side couch in their mancave area for guests? Either way, I have a 94 inch wide couch facing the TV, will have a side loveseat to the right (facing the tv) that will sit at 45 degrees and a recliner on the opposite side at about 30 degrees off center. From rtings.com, it seems that the 900f has has a large viewing angle for brightness (48 degrees), but terrible for the others. Coming from the OLED, how was the impact of the viewing angle? I can't be the only one with more than one couch in a mancave looking at or owning the 900f?

For comparison, I feel like pitted against the highest quality IPS panel that I think I could find (LG SK9000) the viewing angle comparison actually gives the sony the edge because of the high brightness angle. Thoughts? https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...-x900f/601/585

Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it (the sony 900f) but I just hate the thought of having crap viewing angles. I guess I'm just trying to find the best of both worlds. I'd love to know your (and anyone's) feedback on the viewing angles!

Last edited by Ben Larkins; 06-06-2018 at 07:14 AM.
post #1103 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaxmaniac View Post
I don't know if this is something I just hadn't noticed or also part of the latest update, but this television is now streaming Dolby Atmos from Netflix. Previously I had thought this was exclusive to LG, Xbox and Windows 10.
It seems to be part of the DV update as it didn't enable Atmos audio before. My guess is the exclusivity to LG and Microsoft was only for 1 year and that time is up.
post #1104 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by persuazion View Post
For dolby vision content.... what settings should be used for live color and cinemotion?
Whatever looks better to you. Its your TV and you should use it how you feel is right for you. Try out some settings to see what you prefer. I use live color off and cinemotion on high and also use clearness on 1 and smoothness fairly high, but most people do not like smoothness aka soap opera effect. I on the other hand, cannot stand choppy video (24fps), I know its "supposed" to be like that, cinematic whatever but I cannot stand it.
post #1105 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Yeap, size matter Im going from 65" js9500 to 85" 900f. WHats the % on that? Also, Do you have 85" 900f in stock?. I got my order on my local Magnolia BB but they are back order for a month.
Stock comes in and goes right out, we will get them that is for sure and we are cheaper

85" has 71% more screen area (1282 square inches) compared to a 65"
post #1106 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 52
For a 75 versus 85 inch which is what I'm debating switching to:

28.4% more screen area on the 85 inch.

Media Room= GoldenEar Supersat 60s/GE 60c/BP7004s/SuperCubeII/A-60s/Pio-SC-95
post #1107 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi .. I don’t know how to setup my x900f to output audio to onkyo rz110 avr!
When I go to onkyo arc settings i get an error msg saying that my tv may not support arc!
I inserted the hdmi cable to hdmi 3 arc.

Should I change something on the tv settings?
Or is my old hdmi cable the reason for this error msg I’m getting?

Need your help please.

Thanks
post #1108 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmorgan23 View Post
For a 75 versus 85 inch which is what I'm debating switching to:

28.4% more screen area on the 85 inch.
Just do it! Size matters
post #1109 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMXP View Post
Hi .. I don’t know how to setup my x900f to output audio to onkyo rz110 avr!
When I go to onkyo arc settings i get an error msg saying that my tv may not support arc!
I inserted the hdmi cable to hdmi 3 arc.

Should I change something on the tv settings?
Or is my old hdmi cable the reason for this error msg I’m getting?

Need your help please.

Thanks
You need to go to the sound settings of the TV, under Speakers select "Audio system", this tells the TV to use your external speakers (thru the AVR) to output sound.

There is also an option below "Speakers" called Audio system prioritization, setting this to on switches to external speakers each time your TV is turned on for sound output.

If you've done all that and it it still giving you an error message than try a newer hdmi cable.
post #1110 of 9719 Old 06-06-2018, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVR23 View Post
You need to go to the sound settings of the TV, under Speakers select "Audio system", this tells the TV to use your external speakers (thru the AVR) to output sound.

There is also an option below "Speakers" called Audio system prioritization, setting this to on switches to external speakers each time your TV is turned on for sound output.

If you've done all that and it it still giving you an error message than try a newer hdmi cable.
Thanks for the reply.. i did the steps and still not working! I also tried 3 hdmi high speed cables without any success.
I guess it’s a problem with onky avr ‘cause there are many threads about problems with the same avr on the Internet.

Or there are some options in netflix that must be changed??

I will try to use an optical cable to see if it works.

Thanks.

Last edited by OMXP; 06-06-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page