2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4364Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1111 of 9763 Old 06-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
RJVR23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMXP View Post
Thanks for the reply.. i did the steps and still not working! I also tried 3 hdmi high speed cables without any success.
I guess it’s a problem with onky avr ‘cause there are many threads about problems with the same avr on the Internet.

I will try to use an optical cable to see if it works.

Thanks.
Sorry for your troubles, is your avr updated to the latest firmware?
RJVR23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1112 of 9763 Old 06-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVR23 View Post
Sorry for your troubles, is your avr updated to the latest firmware?
Yes, and the tv too.
I gave up on arc, i will use optical for youtube streaming, for movies and tv shows will use atv4.

My hdmi cables are working fine with atv4 viewing 4k Dolby Vision, so I guess the problem is from onkyo avr.

Is there a specific input i should use on the avr (cd,cbl, dvd,??)

Btw, there is no device connected to the tv,I just want to get the sound from netflix app and youtube.

Thanks.

Last edited by OMXP; 06-06-2018 at 05:20 PM.
OMXP is offline  
post #1113 of 9763 Old 06-06-2018, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
RJVR23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMXP View Post
Yes, and the tv too.
I gave up on arc, i will use optical for youtube streaming, for movies and tv shows will use atv4.

My hdmi cables are working fine with atv4 viewing 4k Dolby Vision, so I guess the problem is from onkyo avr.

Is there a specific input i should use on the avr (cd,cbl, dvd,??)

Btw, there is no device connected to the tv,I just want to get the sound from netflix app and youtube.

Thanks.
There should be no difference which input you use as long as it's hdmi 2.0 certified so you can get Dolby Vision.

Speaking of hdmi, does your avr have more than 1 hdmi output? Some receivers have multiple hdmi outputs and only one of them is ARC capable, might be something to check.
RJVR23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1114 of 9763 Old 06-06-2018, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,590
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHalverson View Post
Just got the 85" installed. Size is perfect for our viewing position (about 11' away). Still trying to get all the settings dialed in.

Newbie question - is there an easy way to tell if you are receiving and displaying HDR and/or DV on the TV? Trying to make sure I'm getting the most out of my AppleTV and Oppo UDP-203.
Ya, that's a bit away, great choice
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #1115 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 05:28 AM
Member
 
audeophyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMXP View Post
Yes, and the tv too.
I gave up on arc, i will use optical for youtube streaming, for movies and tv shows will use atv4.

My hdmi cables are working fine with atv4 viewing 4k Dolby Vision, so I guess the problem is from onkyo avr.

Is there a specific input i should use on the avr (cd,cbl, dvd,??)

Btw, there is no device connected to the tv,I just want to get the sound from netflix app and youtube.

Thanks.

I also had ARC issues with my $3,000 Denon AVR-X7200WA using brand new high quality HDMI cables. Audio coming back from the TV through the HDMI worked initially, then became buggy, then would not work at all anymore, no matter what I did, including firmware update on the Denon. I gave up and ran an optical cable and it works great now. I will be curious to see if we hear more of this issue as time goes along.



As far as which input to use, my Denon has a TV Audio optical input for just this scenario. Works perfectly. For your situation it would not matter which input you use, as long as it is optical and you use that input when viewing content originating from the TV, such as Netflix, etc.

Main: Sony X900F 85" LED, Denon AVRX7200WA, Klipsh RC64II, RF7II (x2), CDT5650 C II (x8), PSA 15V Sub, RSL Speedwoofer 10S Sub
Home Gym: AVR3312CI, RC62II , RF62 II (x2), Polk RC80i (x2), R112SW Sub, Panasonic 65" Plasma
Zone #2 (Lanai): Denon HEOS Amp, Polk RC80i (x2), LG 43" LED DJ Studio: Event PS8's
audeophyle is offline  
post #1116 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have any of you guys experienced vertical banding or DSE with you 900F? I may have to return my Vizio P65 E1 and if you does not seem a problem with the Sony it may be worth a shot.

Thanks!
cbfan87 is offline  
post #1117 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfan87 View Post
Have any of you guys experienced vertical banding or DSE with you 900F? I may have to return my Vizio P65 E1 and if you does not seem a problem with the Sony it may be worth a shot.

Thanks!
Definitely haven’t noticed any DSE or banding on mine. I’ve enjoyed watching NHL games on this set. I haven’t looked for it either if that helps. All around a pleasure to watch.
acphydro is offline  
post #1118 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Larkins View Post
Okay this right here is what I need help with. I sent two LG B7A's back (65 inch), as one had a cracked screen and another had a green dot during power up. I want the 75 inch 900f and everything is perfect about it except...I'm concerned about the viewing angle. Honestly I don't know how many people only have one couch sitting dead on anyway. Doesn't everyone have some side couch in their mancave area for guests? Either way, I have a 94 inch wide couch facing the TV, will have a side loveseat to the right (facing the tv) that will sit at 45 degrees and a recliner on the opposite side at about 30 degrees off center. From rtings.com, it seems that the 900f has has a large viewing angle for brightness (48 degrees), but terrible for the others. Coming from the OLED, how was the impact of the viewing angle? I can't be the only one with more than one couch in a mancave looking at or owning the 900f?

For comparison, I feel like pitted against the highest quality IPS panel that I think I could find (LG SK9000) the viewing angle comparison actually gives the sony the edge because of the high brightness angle. Thoughts? https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...-x900f/601/585

Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it (the sony 900f) but I just hate the thought of having crap viewing angles. I guess I'm just trying to find the best of both worlds. I'd love to know your (and anyone's) feedback on the viewing angles!
The viewing angles on the 900F are not bad for an LCD, but compared to OLED they suck. It's a massive difference. But I don't care too much. I don't really care too much about viewing angle performance on TVs because I don't have any seating at an angle of any more than 30 degrees at the most.

Last edited by reasoner512; 06-08-2018 at 06:36 AM.
reasoner512 is offline  
post #1119 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfan87 View Post
Have any of you guys experienced vertical banding or DSE with you 900F? I may have to return my Vizio P65 E1 and if you does not seem a problem with the Sony it may be worth a shot.

Thanks!
This is one of the things I love the most about this TV. Zero DSE or banding on mine. I love it. My past Vizio sets have looked great and have served me well, but they too also suffered from decent amounts of DSE. The 900F is the smoothest, most uniform panel I have ever seen. Wonderful!
Scarriere likes this.
reasoner512 is offline  
post #1120 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Larkins View Post
Okay this right here is what I need help with. I sent two LG B7A's back (65 inch), as one had a cracked screen and another had a green dot during power up. I want the 75 inch 900f and everything is perfect about it except...I'm concerned about the viewing angle. Honestly I don't know how many people only have one couch sitting dead on anyway. Doesn't everyone have some side couch in their mancave area for guests? Either way, I have a 94 inch wide couch facing the TV, will have a side loveseat to the right (facing the tv) that will sit at 45 degrees and a recliner on the opposite side at about 30 degrees off center. From rtings.com, it seems that the 900f has has a large viewing angle for brightness (48 degrees), but terrible for the others. Coming from the OLED, how was the impact of the viewing angle? I can't be the only one with more than one couch in a mancave looking at or owning the 900f?

For comparison, I feel like pitted against the highest quality IPS panel that I think I could find (LG SK9000) the viewing angle comparison actually gives the sony the edge because of the high brightness angle. Thoughts? https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...-x900f/601/585

Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it (the sony 900f) but I just hate the thought of having crap viewing angles. I guess I'm just trying to find the best of both worlds. I'd love to know your (and anyone's) feedback on the viewing angles!
IF OLED is your frame of referene, I would never go to an IPS panel. The contrast SUCKS. I wouldn't base a tv purchase on guests who might have to watch TV off angle and more than likely won't even care or notice if the colors are a little washed out. I have a 900e and the viewing angles from the side aren't that bad honestly. I do turn the color up a little and put Live Color on low. This gives the picture a little more punch and I find even when I sit on the side couch the colors look fine.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
joshua goard is online now  
post #1121 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,456
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Larkins View Post
Okay this right here is what I need help with. I sent two LG B7A's back (65 inch), as one had a cracked screen and another had a green dot during power up. I want the 75 inch 900f and everything is perfect about it except...I'm concerned about the viewing angle. Honestly I don't know how many people only have one couch sitting dead on anyway. Doesn't everyone have some side couch in their mancave area for guests? Either way, I have a 94 inch wide couch facing the TV, will have a side loveseat to the right (facing the tv) that will sit at 45 degrees and a recliner on the opposite side at about 30 degrees off center. From rtings.com, it seems that the 900f has has a large viewing angle for brightness (48 degrees), but terrible for the others. Coming from the OLED, how was the impact of the viewing angle? I can't be the only one with more than one couch in a mancave looking at or owning the 900f?

For comparison, I feel like pitted against the highest quality IPS panel that I think I could find (LG SK9000) the viewing angle comparison actually gives the sony the edge because of the high brightness angle. Thoughts? https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...-x900f/601/585

Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it (the sony 900f) but I just hate the thought of having crap viewing angles. I guess I'm just trying to find the best of both worlds. I'd love to know your (and anyone's) feedback on the viewing angles!
The 900F has decent viewing angles for a VA panel. But the absolute best, very close to IPS panels, is the 940E. It has a 40 degree viewing angle for black levels, 48 degrees for brightness, and the usual bad (18 degrees) for color shift. Most viewers notice brightness and black levels right away, but color shift is a bit more subtle.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #1122 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 7,343
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoner512 View Post
The slightly gray-ish black bars don't even bother me anymore. I am not sure why I obsessed over that in the first place. I think I was just used to the perfect black bars coming from OLED and was trying to judge the black level from the letterbox bars. You are not going to get perfect black bars with LCD, especially during HDR content and judging contrast from the blacks bars is just plain dumb. When it comes to the actual content itself, the picture has amazing blacks and that's what counts.

With that being said, I am really beginning to love this TV the more I use it. I don't think any other TV upgrade has given me as much wow factor as my 900F has. The huge increase in size to a 75" probably has most to do with it though.

But aside from size, even the PQ itself continues to amaze me, and I came from an OLED! There is something about the image on the 900F that just seems so smooth and pleasing. I can't quite describe it. I am not sure if it's the great processing that Sony does. Maybe it's because I've never had a 75" before and the extra size increase is making me feel that way? Who knows. It just is so... nice. "Smooth and pleasing" is probably the best way I can describe it. It's just really satisfying to look at, no matter what content is being displayed.

But the 900F isn't even a top of the line set, yet it still feels like it is. It's probably not fair to give the PQ so much praise since I don't actually have another 75" to compare it to. I am sure I would feel different about the 900F PQ if I compared it to a 77" OLED, but at least compared to a 65" OLED, I much prefer the 900F. I am not sure if that is a testament to how good the 900F PQ is, or how important size is. Either way, 75" gives me a hint of that 'cinema' feeling. I never really got that feeling on a 65". I can absolutely see the appeal of getting the 85" 900F, but unfortunately that is a bit more than I am willing to spend. Maybe one day!
Well, I was comparing it to the new top of the line Samsung QLED in Magnolia that are side by side and I would rank the 900F much better too my eyes. At a 75 - 85" I am thinking at doing the 85" in my basement and calling it a day and saving myself a ton of money verses going with a projector and screen... I see where you are coming from the 75-85" give you more of the Cinema type of feel, I am still debating on a projector or going the 85" route and saving myself some cash as a decent projector and screen will likely cost much more.

If they made the 940E in a 85" I would be all over it! Maybe we will see some changes their as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	2413148  

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
Garman is offline  
post #1123 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My x900f comes tomorrow! Excited to say the least. I’m interested to see if Dolby Vision makes a difference vs the hdr10 on my 900e.
EyeWasAbducted is offline  
post #1124 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVR23 View Post
There should be no difference which input you use as long as it's hdmi 2.0 certified so you can get Dolby Vision.

Speaking of hdmi, does your avr have more than 1 hdmi output? Some receivers have multiple hdmi outputs and only one of them is ARC capable, might be something to check.
Hi .. I managed to get the sound via arc by enabling cec on tv (bravia sync list).

Thanks for the help.
sorka and RJVR23 like this.
OMXP is offline  
post #1125 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Roger That's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by audeophyle View Post
I also had ARC issues with my $3,000 Denon AVR-X7200WA using brand new high quality HDMI cables. Audio coming back from the TV through the HDMI worked initially, then became buggy, then would not work at all anymore, no matter what I did, including firmware update on the Denon. I gave up and ran an optical cable and it works great now. I will be curious to see if we hear more of this issue as time goes along.



As far as which input to use, my Denon has a TV Audio optical input for just this scenario. Works perfectly. For your situation it would not matter which input you use, as long as it is optical and you use that input when viewing content originating from the TV, such as Netflix, etc.


I’m now having the same problem with ARC on the internal apps (Emotiva XMC-1). Used to work great. Now I can’t get sound to work at all. WTF.

Mine’s mounted pretty flush to the wall, so I’m not very inclined to run optical when it should be working in the first place. Frustrating.
Roger That is offline  
post #1126 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audeophyle View Post
I also had ARC issues with my $3,000 Denon AVR-X7200WA using brand new high quality HDMI cables. Audio coming back from the TV through the HDMI worked initially, then became buggy, then would not work at all anymore, no matter what I did, including firmware update on the Denon. I gave up and ran an optical cable and it works great now. I will be curious to see if we hear more of this issue as time goes along.



As far as which input to use, my Denon has a TV Audio optical input for just this scenario. Works perfectly. For your situation it would not matter which input you use, as long as it is optical and you use that input when viewing content originating from the TV, such as Netflix, etc.
Do you get dolby atmos through optical connection? I guess it will not work, that’s why I wanted to use arc connection.
OMXP is offline  
post #1127 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigjohns1997SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Well, I was comparing it to the new top of the line Samsung QLED in Magnolia that are side by side and I would rank the 900F much better too my eyes. At a 75 - 85" I am thinking at doing the 85" in my basement and calling it a day and saving myself a ton of money verses going with a projector and screen... I see where you are coming from the 75-85" give you more of the Cinema type of feel, I am still debating on a projector or going the 85" route and saving myself some cash as a decent projector and screen will likely cost much more.

If they made the 940E in a 85" I would be all over it! Maybe we will see some changes their as well.
This, i wish there was a 940f 85" coming out!
Garman likes this.

Sony 85" 900F
Denon x4200w
BIC F12
6x Energy RC-10
DirecTV / Nvidia Shield / PS4 Pro / 1080 TI
bigjohns1997SS is online now  
post #1128 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Member
 
audeophyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMXP View Post
Do you get dolby atmos through optical connection? I guess it will not work, that’s why I wanted to use arc connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger That View Post
I’m now having the same problem with ARC on the internal apps (Emotiva XMC-1). Used to work great. Now I can’t get sound to work at all. WTF.

Mine’s mounted pretty flush to the wall, so I’m not very inclined to run optical when it should be working in the first place. Frustrating.

WTF is right! I did not know Optical does not output Atmos. Sony needs to figure this out! Curious how many others are experiencing this same issue.



Mine was mounted flush tight to the wall too. My contractor came back over and we were able to unlatch the bottom part of the mount and tilt the bottom of the TV forward in order to run the Optical wire without removing the TV from the wall. Might want to give something like that a try. However, if Optical does not transmit Atmos this is just going to be a band aid until this issue is addressed by Sony and resolved somehow. How annoying!

Main: Sony X900F 85" LED, Denon AVRX7200WA, Klipsh RC64II, RF7II (x2), CDT5650 C II (x8), PSA 15V Sub, RSL Speedwoofer 10S Sub
Home Gym: AVR3312CI, RC62II , RF62 II (x2), Polk RC80i (x2), R112SW Sub, Panasonic 65" Plasma
Zone #2 (Lanai): Denon HEOS Amp, Polk RC80i (x2), LG 43" LED DJ Studio: Event PS8's
audeophyle is offline  
post #1129 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
CaptinCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I found this in regard to Optical Audio out connection.

Quote:
Unlike other cabling standards, the optical audio system uses fiber optic cables and laser light to transmit digital audio signals between devices. The standard was introduced way back in 1983 by Toshiba, and was originally intended for use with their fledgling Compact Disc players. (This is why you’ll sometimes hear them referred to as Toshiba-Link, or TOSLINK cables.)

The port is typically labeled “optical audio”, “TOSLINK”, “Digital Audio Out (Optical)” or something similar. The "TOSLINK" system is still capable of carrying up to 7.1 channels of very high-resolution audio. Although the standard is over thirty years old now, it has been refined quite a bit, and modern TOSLINK connections are as useful as ever. So why is the lonely optical cable so underutilized? While that question could be a historical inquiry unto itself, here’s the short version: when TOSLINK came out, it was overpowered for most people’s needs, and by the time the average consumer was rocking an intense home theater, the TOSLINK cable had been eclipsed by the HDMI cable. (HDMI is not only simpler, since it carries video and audio together, but it also supports newer high resolution audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, and Dolby Atmos. TOSLINK does not.)

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
CaptinCrunch is offline  
post #1130 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
I found this in regard to Optical Audio out connection.

Thanks for the info..I guess I will use apple tv instead of sony apps! ARC sound is gone again from my tv to avr!!!


I will use optical cable for youtube app only.
OMXP is offline  
post #1131 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
RJVR23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMXP View Post
Thanks for the info..I guess I will use apple tv instead of sony apps! ARC sound is gone again from my tv to avr!!!


I will use optical cable for youtube app only.
Are you on the latest firmware? The one that has Dolby Vision in it?

Can you try doing a hard reset on the TV? If that doesn't work maybe an exchange is in order?

Where did you get your TV? Are you able to do an exchange?
RJVR23 is offline  
post #1132 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Andrew67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
I found this in regard to Optical Audio out connection.
There is a difference between streaming Atmos and Atmos delivered with Dolby True-HD. I don't know if the streaming variation can be delivered over optical or not but the section you quoted appears to be in reference to the lossless codec and may not be relevant.
Andrew67 is offline  
post #1133 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 04:45 PM
Member
 
Xzibit190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Although content is limited atm love that with the new update when Dolby Vision is enabled it pops up in the corner like the LG's do for HDR. Wish they do an update with HDR pop up as well, I prefer to know HDR is actually being enabled as I've see with some content for whatever reason handshaking or something fails and only way to check is look at picture mode or not.
Xzibit190 is offline  
post #1134 of 9763 Old 06-07-2018, 10:54 PM
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Well, I was comparing it to the new top of the line Samsung QLED in Magnolia that are side by side and I would rank the 900F much better too my eyes. At a 75 - 85" I am thinking at doing the 85" in my basement and calling it a day and saving myself a ton of money verses going with a projector and screen... I see where you are coming from the 75-85" give you more of the Cinema type of feel, I am still debating on a projector or going the 85" route and saving myself some cash as a decent projector and screen will likely cost much more.

If they made the 940E in a 85" I would be all over it! Maybe we will see some changes their as well.
I have both.. The 900f is great no doubt but it only beats the q8/q9 in motion and price .
player002 is offline  
post #1135 of 9763 Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 AM
Member
 
svx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Between the 75" X900E and 65" X900F

The price is close (but the 75" X900E is hard to get now, may have to go for the X850E)

Usage: Some PC gaming (GTX 1080 ti GPU) + typical movie/TV show. Also will use it as PC monitor.

Any opinion?

Cheers!
svx94 is offline  
post #1136 of 9763 Old 06-08-2018, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by svx94 View Post
Between the 75" X900E and 65" X900F

The price is close (but the 75" X900E is hard to get now, may have to go for the X850E)

Usage: Some PC gaming (GTX 1080 ti GPU) + typical movie/TV show. Also will use it as PC monitor.

Any opinion?

Cheers!
75” 900e because size 850e would be a major downgrade IMO
acphydro is offline  
post #1137 of 9763 Old 06-08-2018, 01:58 AM
Member
 
svx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
75” 900e because size 850e would be a major downgrade IMO
Thanks for the quick response and advice!!!

75" X900E is the target now - hope I can find one available.

In my other house, I got a older 70" Sony going back at lease 5-midel year, and not even the higher end. I use it as monitor and it was just fine. TV is definitely good enough for me. That's why I think the X850E may be OK as well. Of course, if I can find a X900E, there is no much reason to go down to 850. X900F is around $3500 right now. I'd like to save the 1K if there is no major draw back.
svx94 is offline  
post #1138 of 9763 Old 06-08-2018, 02:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVR23 View Post
Are you on the latest firmware? The one that has Dolby Vision in it?

Can you try doing a hard reset on the TV? If that doesn't work maybe an exchange is in order?

Where did you get your TV? Are you able to do an exchange?
All devices are upated to latest firmwares. I don’t think I will exchange the tv because the panel is working very well with no issues with picture quality. I can live with ARC sound issues.

I live overseas, and the retailer accepts exchanges but I’m loving the picture quality.

Thanks
OMXP is offline  
post #1139 of 9763 Old 06-08-2018, 03:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Using AVR upscaling

Hi guys .. I have a question regarding upscaling 1080 picture to 4k. Do you enable AVR upscaling or you turn it off and just let the tv do the upscaling?

Thanks.
OMXP is offline  
post #1140 of 9763 Old 06-08-2018, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by svx94 View Post
Thanks for the quick response and advice!!!

75" X900E is the target now - hope I can find one available.

In my other house, I got a older 70" Sony going back at lease 5-midel year, and not even the higher end. I use it as monitor and it was just fine. TV is definitely good enough for me. That's why I think the X850E may be OK as well. Of course, if I can find a X900E, there is no much reason to go down to 850. X900F is around $3500 right now. I'd like to save the 1K if there is no major draw back.
I can’t confirm there’s no major drawback between the F and the E for PC use but what I do know is that the F is indeed better but not current retail better as an overall TV. The main drawback is that the E won’t ever get Dolby Vision and this F just got a firmware update for it.

It’s possible an 850E would be fine for you—you’d just be missing out on real HDR and wider color gamut among other things. I’d suggest you check out rtings reviews between all of the sets especially for your usage.

I do however recommend you get the biggest size you can fit, afford and that fits in your space.
acphydro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off