2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4260Likes

post #1171 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie903 View Post
I am feeling you Nozz we don't have one! Just beware if you get Sony their DV update may not be compatible with your hardware if its from a different company because their are different DV profiles. Couldn't believe it when I read it
Yeah. I have a Samsung 4k dvd player, so that could be an issue. WTH? I like the Q8 but the Sony is a much better deal and gets rated just about as high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audeophyle View Post
FWIW I have not noticed any such issues with the 900F (blooming, motion, clarity, etc. etc.) whatsoever. After so much research prior to buying the 85" 900F I did anticipate these issues and tried to identify them initially - but my captivation from this beautiful display rapidly distracted me to the point where it is nothing but pure bliss now and occasional awe. Before making the purchase I did go to Magnolia to view most of the leading OLED panels and they did look much better in comparison. In fact, the 900F BB had on display looked atrocious and I almost changed my mind. However, now that I have it setup at home for a month, I could not imagine anything much better as far as PQ. The black levels and contrast (esp. with X-tended Dynamic Range set to high with HDR source) are superb. Not true black of course but it definitely gets the job done to say the least! This seems to be the consensus of the 900F owners from what I have seen here. Sony really got it right with this one.
Thanks for the input. I'm a little worried my Samsung 4k dvd player won't work with this tv. Sounds like there may be issues with this.
I love my OLED but I need a bigger tv. The bigger LG is way too high!!
audeophyle likes this.
post #1173 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozz View Post
I understand that and agree. But I guess the question is, whats the next best option if I want to go up in size?
If you get Sony their DV update may not be compatible with other manufacturers 4k players or receivers. There are different DV profiles. I didn't believe it. Why would Sony do that. I guess they just want you to buy their products. I not buying any new equipment. I guess I will have to stay put for awhile. Will have to see 4th of July prices, Labor Day and if I can last that long Black Friday. Let me know what you decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by audeophyle View Post
I am actually using brand new Monprice Cables "Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, 10ft, Black". I will PM you my settings when I get a chance. Thanks very much for your input!

That is the exact 10 foot cable that I am using, so you should be good with that.

Here are images of my menu settings in Home | System | Sound for you to compare to see whats different. Others may be interested also, especially if they are having trouble getting Dolby Atmos to stream from the TV Apps that provide it.

That last photo (9) shows the supported audio system and is obtained by clicking on Home Theater Control in the previous photo (8) When you click on it, it seems to query the receiver to see what it can support and may actually make some setting changes on the x900f based on what it detects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound Menu 1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2414066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound Menu 2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	2414068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound Menu 3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	2414070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound Menu 4.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	2414072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound Menu 5.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2414074  

Name:	Sound Menu 6.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2414076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound Menu 7.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2414078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound Menu 8.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	2414080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound Menu 9.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	2414082  
audeophyle likes this.

Sony XBR-85X900F
Sony UBP-X700 Ultra Blu-Ray Player
Pioneer SC-LX701 Receiver

Last edited by mjmorrison; 06-09-2018 at 02:43 PM.
post #1175 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bluetooth headset compatibility

Simple question: will this set work with my Bose Quiet Comfort bluetooth headset? (My hearing is not good, and my wife, god love her, cannot tolerate the high volume I need.) Thanks in advance.
post #1176 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I am still debating on a projector or going the 85" route and saving myself some cash as a decent projector and screen will likely cost much more.

I just ordered an 85" 900f from FRYS today. This is coming from a Panasonic projector with a 110" screen. While the size difference sucks, IMO you have to spend a LOT of money to get an equivalent 900F picture quality out of a (real NOT faux 4k) projector

I thought about replacing my Panasonic with the Sony VPLVW285ES, but that Sony projector (the cheapest real 4k you can currently buy) doesn't look nearly as good as the 900F IMO. I've been waiting and waiting for true 4k projectors to hit sub $5k but it still hasn't gotten there yet. You really need to spend 10k+ to get a projector that looks as good as a high end LCD/OLED (and even then I still prefer the look of high end TV's with that full sheet of glass)
post #1177 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuinne View Post
Simple question: will this set work with my Bose Quiet Comfort bluetooth headset? (My hearing is not good, and my wife, god love her, cannot tolerate the high volume I need.) Thanks in advance.

You can pair with bluetooth devices and there are headphone settings in the settings menu. Don't know if it work work though. If you live near a BestBuy or Frys, may be you can bring your headset and test it to see if it pairs and works correctly.

These are the supported bluetooth profiles:

HID (Human Interface Device Profile)
HOGP (HID over GATT Profile)
A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)
AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)
3DSP (3D Synchronization Profile)
SPP (Serial Port Profile)

Sony XBR-85X900F
post #1178 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got back from viewing this set in 75" at Best Buy. I'm only looking at 85", so OLED is out (that, and image retention with video games).

On Vivid mode, 100 brightness, I saw noticeable blooming on this set. However, when I switched to Cinema Pro, 90 brightness, local dimming Low/Med/High, I couldn't see the blooming (at least in the bright BB store). Motion looked very good.

I'm still hesitant moving forward on FALD coming from Panasonic 65" ST60 plasma, but I think my next step is to get to my semi-local BB Magnolia and see if I notice blooming in the dark. Any settings I should try? Thanks for the input.
post #1179 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
If you get Sony their DV update may not be compatible with other manufacturers 4k players or receivers. There are different DV profiles. I didn't believe it. Why would Sony do that. I guess they just want you to buy their products. I not buying any new equipment. I guess I will have to stay put for awhile. Will have to see 4th of July prices, Labor Day and if I can last that long Black Friday. Let me know what you decide.
In order for devices to receive and maintain Dolby Vision certification they are required to support the new DV profile that is required for Sony TVs. I believe it is known as low-latency or Profile 5. If Samsung wants to continue to release DV certified players they "should" be releasing a firmware update to support the new "low-latency" profile. How long that will take is anybody's guess BUT any future DV certified devices will be required to support all DV profiles.
audeophyle likes this.
post #1180 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
If you get Sony their DV update may not be compatible with other manufacturers 4k players or receivers. There are different DV profiles. I didn't believe it. Why would Sony do that.
My understanding (which may be incorrect) is :

1. Sony are implementing the new HDMI 2.1 dynamic metadata standard, back ported to HDMI 2.0, and are using this to handle Dolby Vision metadata, rather than having to use Dolby's proprietary tunnelling 'hack' (which was the only solution for dynamic metadata signalling prior to HDMI 2.1 standardisation). Dolby added support for this signalling and Sony are using it.

2. The processing for the Dolby Vision tunnelling may have been tricky to implement on Sony TVs...

Whatever the reason - Apple TV supported it really quickly, and Oppo have also announced an upgrade to their 203 player to support it. Sony's X700 also supports it (or will)

I think the reality is that Sony are implementing the 'new' standard for Dolby Vision, as the tunnelling hack that was previously used will likely be less and less common as more and more TVs implement the standardised HDMI dynamic metadata signalling spec?
post #1181 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
My understanding (which may be incorrect) is :

1. Sony are implementing the new HDMI 2.1 dynamic metadata standard, back ported to HDMI 2.0, and are using this to handle Dolby Vision metadata, rather than having to use Dolby's proprietary tunnelling 'hack' (which was the only solution for dynamic metadata signalling prior to HDMI 2.1 standardisation). Dolby added support for this signalling and Sony are using it.

2. The processing for the Dolby Vision tunnelling may have been tricky to implement on Sony TVs...

Whatever the reason - Apple TV supported it really quickly, and Oppo have also announced an upgrade to their 203 player to support it. Sony's X700 also supports it (or will)

I think the reality is that Sony are implementing the 'new' standard for Dolby Vision, as the tunnelling hack that was previously used will likely be less and less common as more and more TVs implement the standardised HDMI dynamic metadata signalling spec?
I will call LG(my 4k player) and Onkyo(my receiver) to see if they will upgrade to the new DV profile. I want to get the xbr75900f but don't want to have to upgrade my other components to get DV. I am already spending enough on the TV
post #1182 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
In order for devices to receive and maintain Dolby Vision certification they are required to support the new DV profile that is required for Sony TVs. I believe it is known as low-latency or Profile 5. If Samsung wants to continue to release DV certified players they "should" be releasing a firmware update to support the new "low-latency" profile. How long that will take is anybody's guess BUT any future DV certified devices will be required to support all DV profiles.
I will call LG(my 4k player) and Onkyo(my receiver) and see if they will give updates to current DV profile
post #1183 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'm a little worried my Samsung 4k dvd player won't work with this tv. Sounds like there may be issues with this.
WOW! Makes me want to go out and get the 900f right now! One question I have to ask. During the day where my TV will be there is a decent amount of ambient light, not a lot but decent. Is the screen real reflective in a well lit room? I know the screen is glossy but I don't want a 75 inch mirror on my hands
post #1184 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Did you just get your Sony today?
post #1185 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Did you just get your Sony today?
No. I'm on here asking how good it is compared to my 65 LG OLED. I want a bigger tv but would have to win the lottery to afford the bigger LG.
So I'm looking for the next best option.
post #1186 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
No. I'm on here asking how good it is compared to my 65 LG OLED. I want a bigger tv but would have to win the lottery to afford the bigger LG.
So I'm looking for the next best option.
I am sorry read the wrong post. I see now its the Sony 75 900f. I love my 65 OLED but I crave for 75 inches for movies and sports. They are making LCD much better since I purchased my OLED 3yrs ago. FALD with local dimming has improved the black level which means better contrast and better color saturation. Will wait until July 4th to see what specials BB has since they price match. I don't think I can wait for Black Friday. NFL starts in September
post #1187 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
I am sorry read the wrong post. I see now its the Sony 75 900f. I love my 65 OLED but I crave for 75 inches for movies and sports. They are making LCD much better since I purchased my OLED 3yrs ago. FALD with local dimming has improved the black level which means better contrast and better color saturation. Will wait until July 4th to see what specials BB has since they price match. I don't think I can wait for Black Friday. NFL starts in September
I was torn between OLED and LCD for over a year. Ultimately since my usage (and household usage) will involve a lot of sports and games I decided to rule out the OLED because of fear of burn in. I would take care of it but my wife and especially my 7 year old would never think to not leave the TV paused or a game paused or etc. I bought a midrange plasma in 2007ish and I had that fear the whole time but at that point I didn’t have a child and my wife and I didn’t watch as much TV although I played plenty of games on it. There was definitely IR but nothing ever was permanent on it. Temporary IR drives me nuts though and I’ll take the LCD trade offs over that type of thing every day.

I went from that 50” Panasonic plasma to a 65” 2015 Vizio E series and once I got it dialed in I thought it looked to be on par with my plasma but that could’ve also been the 15” upgrade wow factor too. Fast forward now and I’ve got the 75” 900F and it’s a dramatic upgrade in every way over my Vizio even for directv. It really takes over the room. Fantastic for HDR content and the thing gets BRIGHT. Both make my plasma seem dim in comparison.

My personal usage is roughly 50% sports (primarily NFL), 30% games and 20% TV shows and movies. But between my wife and child it’s mostly TV shows and games so I decided that LCD was best for my house. I’ve never owned an OLED but I couldn’t imagine sacrificing real estate for PQ.

I think that all but the pickiest buyers would be happier with a good 75” LCD over a 65” OLED and for those people I feel comfortable recommending sacrificing that PQ for the increased size. You probably won’t notice blooming for the most part unless you’re watching HDR content or using subtitles. A bias light works great at making it near non existent and if you have the ability to make the subtitles more transparent or a lighter color that helps too.

Yeah so if you can’t tell I’m very pleased with this TV and look forward to the upcoming NFL season.

Last edited by acphydro; 06-09-2018 at 07:20 PM.
post #1188 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6523 Post(s)
Liked: 6499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Thanks for the input! I have a 55" 900F for above the bar area, makes more sense to go with Projector, as this is the system I have had for years, will give you guy a shout when this basement is near completion.

This is a interesting piece >>>>>>>>> http://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-HU80KA-projector
JVC has been king for years for a reason.....That may be interesting but there can only be one king.....
post #1189 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
JVC has been king for years for a reason.....That may be interesting but there can only be one king.....
In your Opinion they are King.... If they want to stay their they should put out a true 4K projector, hopefully soon. What I have seen from the New Sony VPL-VW285 is pretty remarkable at the price point, like you stated the best thing is wire for both, and I will most likely go back to a PJ soon enough, even if I start out with the Sony 900F..

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #1190 of 9397 Old 06-09-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I was torn between OLED and LCD for over a year. Ultimately since my usage (and household usage) will involve a lot of sports and games I decided to rule out the OLED because of fear of burn in. I would take care of it but my wife and especially my 7 year old would never think to not leave the TV paused or a game paused or etc. I bought a midrange plasma in 2007ish and I had that fear the whole time but at that point I didn’t have a child and my wife and I didn’t watch as much TV although I played plenty of games on it. There was definitely IR but nothing ever was permanent on it. Temporary IR drives me nuts though and I’ll take the LCD trade offs over that type of thing every day.

I went from that 50” Panasonic plasma to a 65” 2015 Vizio E series and once I got it dialed in I thought it looked to be on par with my plasma but that could’ve also been the 15” upgrade wow factor too. Fast forward now and I’ve got the 75” 900F and it’s a dramatic upgrade in every way over my Vizio even for directv. It really takes over the room. Fantastic for HDR content and the thing gets BRIGHT. Both make my plasma seem dim in comparison.

My personal usage is roughly 50% sports (primarily NFL), 30% games and 20% TV shows and movies. But between my wife and child it’s mostly TV shows and games so I decided that LCD was best for my house. I’ve never owned an OLED but I couldn’t imagine sacrificing real estate for PQ.

I think that all but the pickiest buyers would be happier with a good 75” LCD over a 65” OLED and for those people I feel comfortable recommending sacrificing that PQ for the increased size. You probably won’t notice blooming for the most part unless you’re watching HDR content or using subtitles. A bias light works great at making it near non existent and if you have the ability to make the subtitles more transparent or a lighter color that helps too.

Yeah so if you can’t tell I’m very pleased with this TV and look forward to the upcoming NFL season.
Thanks for the info. I would like to know how is the screen as far as reflections go. My viewing area has some ambient light commimg thru but I pull the curtains in the daytime when I want to watch a movie so that isn’t bad. At night I have a light on to watch regular tv and surf on computer at the same time. I never watch a movie with the light on so I should be ok there. I see that the screen is glossy. I don’t want to be distracted by to much reflection. I can take a little reflection but not a lot. Please reply on your experience.
post #1191 of 9397 Old 06-10-2018, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Well it’s easy to blame someone I suppose it’s just human nature. If we don’t understand something let’s just pick the most obvious villain.

Sony choose a profile that is better for internet streaming. VUDU believes it’s a good idea and so does NETFLIX.

The thing is people’s choices are changing they are choosing streaming technologies over existing blu ray physical discs. Dolby Vision identified this and modified their technology to suit.

The fact Sony was one of the first I suppose puts them in the firing line.

The cool thing is DV made the older mechanisms forward compatible. Which helps a lot of owners of existing sets. If you read the X700 forums apparently profile 5 has fixed some DV issues on older LG oleds. Go figure.

Samsung is trying to get industry backing HDr10+. So far there is no media so I like to think DV isn’t a bad choice over a tech that may get backing. No one is jumping on their backs for creating another “standard”for no good reason but to avoid paying any royalties.

Technology will always evolve because we have an insane desire to get a better experience. 2019 may see HDMI 2.1 change the way we view home entertainment. Creating even more vacuums.

You have a right to be unhappy but it’s something of a reality today that technologies will always evolve and it’s a matter of timing when you jump in. Maybe your timing will be when your satisfied the tech suits your current needs.
post #1192 of 9397 Old 06-10-2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyates11 View Post
Well it’s easy to blame someone I suppose it’s just human nature. If we don’t understand something let’s just pick the most obvious villain.

Sony choose a profile that is better for internet streaming. VUDU believes it’s a good idea and so does NETFLIX.

The thing is people’s choices are changing they are choosing streaming technologies over existing blu ray physical discs. Dolby Vision identified this and modified their technology to suit.

The fact Sony was one of the first I suppose puts them in the firing line.

The cool thing is DV made the older mechanisms forward compatible. Which helps a lot of owners of existing sets. If you read the X700 forums apparently profile 5 has fixed some DV issues on older LG oleds. Go figure.

Samsung is trying to get industry backing HDr10+. So far there is no media so I like to think DV isn’t a bad choice over a tech that may get backing. No one is jumping on their backs for creating another “standard”for no good reason but to avoid paying any royalties.

Technology will always evolve because we have an insane desire to get a better experience. 2019 may see HDMI 2.1 change the way we view home entertainment. Creating even more vacuums.

You have a right to be unhappy but it’s something of a reality today that technologies will always evolve and it’s a matter of timing when you jump in. Maybe your timing will be when your satisfied the tech suits your current needs.
Thank you Sir for your informative insight. I wasn’t blaming Sony I just wanted to know why. You have given me an explanation that makes perfect sense. Yes technology is moving at light speed so I have to learn not to be such an early adapter of new products until I see where they are fully going. I know for me that’s easier said than done. I have an A/V HT addiction that won’t easily be cured until I am probably totally broke. Did you get this information from articles you read or from someone who told you? If so can you reference those articles? Thanks. Do you actually have a 900f? I’ve read a lot of comments and reviews from industry rating websites and professional calibrators but I would like some in house real live opinions under normal conditions not some retail showrooms where conditions are not the ones where I’ll be doing my viewing.
post #1193 of 9397 Old 06-10-2018, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I would like to know how is the screen as far as reflections go. My viewing area has some ambient light commimg thru but I pull the curtains in the daytime when I want to watch a movie so that isn’t bad. At night I have a light on to watch regular tv and surf on computer at the same time. I never watch a movie with the light on so I should be ok there. I see that the screen is glossy. I don’t want to be distracted by to much reflection. I can take a little reflection but not a lot. Please reply on your experience.
It does a pretty good job diffusing reflections and based on what you’ve said it should work for you. I usually leave blinds open during the day and depending on how much light is coming through it varies from not noticing at all to noticing when there is direct sunlight. It’s far better than my plasma and old Vizio LCD. Samsung uses a better anti reflective coating for sure but this is close.

Look at rtings review and their reflection testing. I’d say the results they got and pictures they took are pretty accurate as to how it looks with a good amount of lighting or direct lamp. Direct lighting will be noticed as will direct sunlight but it doesn’t hurt your eyes because the panel diffuses it well and ambient lighting or non direct light isn’t usually noticeable at least to me. I’m happy with it’s reflection performance.

EDIT: Wanted to mention that during the day I run the backlight at 20 because that’s where I like it. I’m sure if you ran it higher the screen would fight the reflections even better. It doesn’t really suffer from glare because as I said the screen does a good job at diffusing things across it.

Last edited by acphydro; 06-10-2018 at 06:16 AM.
post #1194 of 9397 Old 06-10-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
WOW! Makes me want to go out and get the 900f right now! One question I have to ask. During the day where my TV will be there is a decent amount of ambient light, not a lot but decent. Is the screen real reflective in a well lit room? I know the screen is glossy but I don't want a 75 inch mirror on my hands
I have the 85" and a large set of accordian folding doors that span floor to ceiling and are 20 feet wide. While there are reflections if we don't draw the blinds, it is still watchable. Much, much better than my previous 75" Elite. You will not be disappointed. IMHO, the 900f has a really great anti-reflective coating.
post #1195 of 9397 Old 06-10-2018, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmorrison View Post
That is the exact 10 foot cable that I am using, so you should be good with that.

Here are images of my menu settings in Home | System | Sound for you to compare to see whats different. Others may be interested also, especially if they are having trouble getting Dolby Atmos to stream from the TV Apps that provide it.

That last photo (9) shows the supported audio system and is obtained by clicking on Home Theater Control in the previous photo (8) When you click on it, it seems to query the receiver to see what it can support and may actually make some setting changes on the x900f based on what it detects.
My hdmi cable is 30’ monoprice, do you think your settings will work with it?

Thanks.
post #1196 of 9397 Old 06-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMXP View Post
My hdmi cable is 30’ monoprice, do you think your settings will work with it?

Thanks.

Give them a try and let us know. Do you have a Active Monoprice cable like the Luxe Series? My understanding is that anything past 15 feet may cause issues with transmission of HDR. Adding Dolby Atmos on top of that could add more issues.

I am sure there are a number of AVS threads that discuss the 18gbps length issue and probably some experts on this thread that can chime in.

Sony XBR-85X900F
post #1197 of 9397 Old 06-10-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmorrison View Post
Give them a try and let us know. Do you have a Active Monoprice cable like the Luxe Series? My understanding is that anything past 15 feet may cause issues with transmission of HDR. Adding Dolby Atmos on top of that could add more issues.

I am sure there are a number of AVS threads that discuss the 18gbps length issue and probably some experts on this thread that can chime in.
I don't think Dolby Atmos is an issue with cable length - as a compressed stream it will still fit into the standard maximum HDMI 1.4 and lower Audio bandwidth (8 x 192kHz 24 bit PCM channel bandwidth AIUI) - which is delivered as standard on even 1080p video.

HDR itself won't be the issue, but 10-bit or 12-bit video which is required to deliver HDR, particularly at 2160p 50-60Hz, WILL be an issue as that will require the higher bandwidth HDMI 2.0 modes to be used. (10/12-bit video can be SDR, but HDR requires it)
post #1198 of 9397 Old 06-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Your Samsung will work fine, the issue is does your Samsung support Dolby Vision and is the DV compatible with the new "low-latency" profile 5. Since no Samsung 4k Bluray players support any form of DV the answer is your Samsung will is compatible to play 4K Blurays but not provide a DV signal to any TV.
post #1199 of 9397 Old 06-10-2018, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Are you guys using x motion clarity?
post #1200 of 9397 Old 06-10-2018, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Poor Black Uniformity/ Flashlighting - Has anyone noticed significant amounts of flashlighting on their sony tvs?
I am on my 2nd 75 inch 900F and while it is improved slightly from the first, I cant help but notice the poor uniformity unless local dimming is set to medium or high. I am not sure when I would turn it off to be honest. The last photo is with local dimming on high and the first one is from the first 900F that I returned. I am wary of returning a 900F just to receive another with the same issue or worse. Would you guys return it or keep it since local dimming on medium or above makes it unnoticeable, even in a dark room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A2BDC89C-74BF-4105-B18D-4BCBA067D0A2_1528665609924.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	2414622   Click image for larger version

Name:	A6C00217-527E-4B15-99FA-7D4043480C02_1528665627709.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	2414624   Click image for larger version

Name:	9F7AD61F-4D1D-4B67-B31B-938D44BA8087_1528665658330.jpg
Views:	361