2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4191Likes

post #1291 of 9166 Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_Zwepp View Post

I downloaded the Rtings uniformity picture and ran it through Lightroom and gave it a +2.0 EV exposure boost. As you can see, when the exposure of the camera is set too high, every panel looks horrible.

Something different... Can anyone confirm the local dimming zone count on the 75X900f? The 55" version seems to have 48 zones (6 colums x 8 rows), the 65" version has 64 zones (8 colums x 8 rows), so I assume the 75" version has 80 zones (10 colums x 8 rows)?
That's cool. I thought they all had the same number of zones. Any idea what the 85" has? Where's your source for the zone count for each size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 9166 Old 06-13-2018, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 76
If you search this thread, the zone counts that owners have reported are:

55": 40 (5 cols x 8 rows)
65", 75": 60 (5 cols x 12 rows)
85": 72 (6 cols x 12 rows)
post #1293 of 9166 Old 06-13-2018, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty5 View Post
This is with a black screen and the brightness set to 1 with local dimming off.
That looks awful. Don’t know if it’s normal or not though as I never tried testing anything with local dimming off as I’d never turn it off for any reason while watching. I’ll grab the image and see what mine looks like just to add in what my 75” looks like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can someone please check if, in Netflix HDR and other sources, enabling subtitles produces a noticable amount of blooming?

I'll be watching most of my content with subtitles, it's important to know that.
post #1295 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:

I downloaded the Rtings uniformity picture and ran it through Lightroom and gave it a +2.0 EV exposure boost. As you can see, when the exposure of the camera is set too high, every panel looks horrible.

Something different... Can anyone confirm the local dimming zone count on the 75X900f? The 55" version seems to have 48 zones (6 colums x 8 rows), the 65" version has 64 zones (8 colums x 8 rows), so I assume the 75" version has 80 zones (10 colums x 8 rows)?
Not just that. I bet the original exposure as seen on the net has crushed blacks and if originally taken with that sort of exposure would look even worse.
post #1296 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
You might also wanna give this one a look- https://amazon.com/VIZIO-SB4051-D5-S...izio+sound+bar

I have it, it freaking rocks. The sub POUNDS too and it slides under the couch. It's cool because it vibrates the entire couch during bassy scenes.

There were some reviews from people stating it was hard to setup and it constantly disconnected from their mobile devices...but I haven't had a single issue with mine other than some audio/video sync issues. But that was actually do to the tv, not the sound bar.
That does look cool, but my couch is almost on the ground. Even that thing sub is too thick. I was at Sams and picked up a Samsung 3.1 system. It's... OK I guess. It's the HW-MM55C. Had a bit of a problem with the sub not connecting at first, but I straightened it out. But my biggest issue is the bar itself seems to have almost no lows to it. When the sub is engaged it sounds good, but the audio without it just seems kinda tinny. Still better than the TV speakers, but doesn't seem like much.

The good news is that the bar hooked up through ARC works perfectly fine with the Sony remote. Which is a huge plus. Multiple remotes are a big minus for me.
post #1297 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6406 Post(s)
Liked: 6402
Quote:
I took some more photos of different color slides. The picture where the grey looks lighter is with local dimming on, the darker one is with it off. This is the best I could do with my phone camera. Whenever I turn on the TV or start Netflix I can see the 4 large splotches on the black background. It goes away once the local dimming kicks in. The overall uniformity looks OK to me aside from black.
That is normal with local dimming is off or if local dimming turn's off automatically during menu's. I wish Sony would just leave local dimming on 24-7
post #1298 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnt View Post
Can someone please check if, in Netflix HDR and other sources, enabling subtitles produces a noticable amount of blooming?

I'll be watching most of my content with subtitles, it's important to know that.
If you're using the internal Netflix app and have the Dolby Vision update, subtitles in DV content aren't at peak brightness any more so there shouldn't be much blooming. Prior to the DV update, subtitles in HDR10 content would have a lot of blooming but it could be worked around by changing Netflix account settings (eg. from a PC browser) to make the subtitles translucent (you might have to sign out and back into the internal app to get the changes to kick in). If you're seeing the issue on other sources, you might see if there's also a way to change the subtitle style.
post #1299 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
If you're using the internal Netflix app and have the Dolby Vision update, subtitles in DV content aren't at peak brightness any more so there shouldn't be much blooming. Prior to the DV update, subtitles in HDR10 content would have a lot of blooming but it could be worked around by changing Netflix account settings (eg. from a PC browser) to make the subtitles translucent (you might have to sign out and back into the internal app to get the changes to kick in). If you're seeing the issue on other sources, you might see if there's also a way to change the subtitle style.
Thanks!

Do you know if, with USB as the source, we can change the subtitle appearence on the default player?
post #1300 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have internet connected through a hardwired cat6 connection.

When I hit the Netflix button on the remote, I sometimes get an error message asking if I want to connect to the internet (tries to direct me to the internet settings). Then, if I access Netflix through the APPS button, sometimes I get an error message saying a certain program cannot be accessed at that time, asking me to try later. Eventually the shows loads but it annoying. Any guess on where the problem may be?

Amazon Prime seems to work just fine.

Thank you!
post #1301 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, i just got my 75” 900F and wanted to share some observations, and ask some questions. For reference, my last TV was a Sony 60” SXRD 1080i rear projection. That TV lasted a good long time, and I feel like Sony quality is superb. I had one lamp go out, which i replaced for a few hundred dollars, but that TV lasted over a decade and costed around $2,500. I even bought my mom a 50”, and when it had issues Sony just upgraded her to a newer set free of charge. So when it came time to upgrade my set, Sony had earned my business.

This TV is really impressive, but you would expect me to say that coming from a 1080i TV. I have noticed a few things, but this is day 2 into this TV. First, i originally had run everything through my PS4 Pro, so i could have an all in one setup for gaming, netflix, youtube, etc. After comparing the PS4 Pro versions of Netflix and YouTube to the TV apps, it is obvious that the PS4 Pro versions are not in 4K. I have the HDMI 18G cables, have 2160p RGB enabled, plugged into HDMI port 2, with the enhanced mode configured on the TV, and see the 4K icon in Netflix, but the native TV app is still way better. I don’t mind the Android apps the TV offers, so no problem. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone thinking the native TV apps might be worse. They are pretty good imo.

My question relates to how i configure my home theater. I have a Denon 3808ci receiver, plus the PS4 Pro, so those are my only connections. I am going to run 5.1 but am not sure how to wire this up without losing quality. Do i run the digital audio out from the TV to the Denon receiver?

In any case, awesome TV. When it comes time to upgrade this one i fully expect 16K to be the standard lol.
post #1302 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
This is with a black screen and the brightness set to 1 with local dimming off.
Correct, because for whatever reason, those zones stay lit up with local dimming off or when there is no content on the screen. There's no signal so the default appears to leave the zones in the 4 corners lit. Every Sony TV i have ever owned with FALD has been that way. It has nothing to do with the picture uniformity and nobody would ever watch anything on this tv with local dimming off anyway.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #1303 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
Hey guys, i just got my 75” 900F and wanted to share some observations, and ask some questions. For reference, my last TV was a Sony 60” SXRD 1080i rear projection. That TV lasted a good long time, and I feel like Sony quality is superb. I had one lamp go out, which i replaced for a few hundred dollars, but that TV lasted over a decade and costed around $2,500. I even bought my mom a 50”, and when it had issues Sony just upgraded her to a newer set free of charge. So when it came time to upgrade my set, Sony had earned my business.

This TV is really impressive, but you would expect me to say that coming from a 1080i TV. I have noticed a few things, but this is day 2 into this TV. First, i originally had run everything through my PS4 Pro, so i could have an all in one setup for gaming, netflix, youtube, etc. After comparing the PS4 Pro versions of Netflix and YouTube to the TV apps, it is obvious that the PS4 Pro versions are not in 4K. I have the HDMI 18G cables, have 2160p RGB enabled, plugged into HDMI port 2, with the enhanced mode configured on the TV, and see the 4K icon in Netflix, but the native TV app is still way better. I don’t mind the Android apps the TV offers, so no problem. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone thinking the native TV apps might be worse. They are pretty good imo.

My question relates to how i configure my home theater. I have a Denon 3808ci receiver, plus the PS4 Pro, so those are my only connections. I am going to run 5.1 but am not sure how to wire this up without losing quality. Do i run the digital audio out from the TV to the Denon receiver?

In any case, awesome TV. When it comes time to upgrade this one i fully expect 16K to be the standard lol.
If your receiver does not support ARC and hdmi 4K/HDR pass thru then yes, you'll have to use digital out.
post #1304 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVR23 View Post
If your receiver does not support ARC and hdmi 4K/HDR pass thru then yes, you'll have to use digital out.
Thanks. Figured as much.
post #1305 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 193
The eagle has landed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
RJVR23 and Drew1204 like this.

Sony 900F, KS8000, P607
post #1306 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Nice!

I probably gonna buy the xe93 55inch, there are 3 known webstores in my country that still sells them, for 1200 euro.
But im in a doubt now. A friend of mine told me there is a store in his neighborhood where he buys his stuff always. He probably can get the sony xf90 65 inch for about 1400 euros.

Is it worth it to spend 200 more for the xf90 ?
I Know it a newer model and all. But i dont like the design from it though.

Is is better then xe93 ?

Thanks
post #1307 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Correct, because for whatever reason, those zones stay lit up with local dimming off or when there is no content on the screen. There's no signal so the default appears to leave the zones in the 4 corners lit. Every Sony TV i have ever owned with FALD has been that way. It has nothing to do with the picture uniformity and nobody would ever watch anything on this tv with local dimming off anyway.
That makes sense and explains why the issue is uniform across multiple TVs.
post #1308 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo7 View Post
Nice!

I probably gonna buy the xe93 55inch, there are 3 known webstores in my country that still sells them, for 1200 euro.
But im in a doubt now. A friend of mine told me there is a store in his neighborhood where he buys his stuff always. He probably can get the sony xf90 65 inch for about 1400 euros.

Is it worth it to spend 200 more for the xf90 ?
I Know it a newer model and all. But i dont like the design from it though.

Is is better then xe93 ?

Thanks
Both are great TV's and personally I would spend the extra € 200,- to go from 55" to 65". It's an absolute bargain.
post #1309 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Both are great TV's and personally I would spend the extra € 200,- to go from 55" to 65". It's an absolute bargain.
For sure the extra 200 is worth the extra 10 inches in screen size. As far as the design goes...I honestly think this is a silly concern. The tv itself is nearly identical. It's only the feet that are different. As long as it sits on the stand, who cares?...Or you could just wall mount it and you would never know the difference...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #1310 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 11:56 AM

Hmm. I have the Lg uh668v atm 49 inch. I like the screen size. From 49 to 65 its a big step though. But on the other hand its a newer model, and as you guys said, almost no difference in picture quality.
Does both tvs have dolby vision ? I know the x930e has it with an update.

What about gaming wise ? Input lag, is there a difference ?
Only difference I see atm is the amount of nits. its better on the x930e
post #1311 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo7 View Post
Hmm. I have the Lg uh668v atm 49 inch. I like the screen size. From 49 to 65 its a big step though. But on the other hand its a newer model, and as you guys said, almost no difference in picture quality.
Does both tvs have dolby vision ? I know the x930e has it with an update.

What about gaming wise ? Input lag, is there a difference ?
Only difference I see atm is the amount of nits. its better on the x930e
There is no difference between them regarding inputlag. They both use the same X1 Xtreme processor.

Never judge the screen size by the step you make from your current model. Yes it's a big step up, but you 'll be used to it within days. If you have the space and money, go for it!
post #1312 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Anyone have the proper list of exactly what the X900F can playback via USB or DLNA? I can't see to get almost anything to playback via USB, and DLNA is hopeless from my Windows 7 PC. The most irritating thing is m2ts Bluray file playback. My old 40" Samsung TV from 2015 would DLNA these files just fine, or even with USB. The Sony chokes on them, and sputters until locking the set up requiring hard reset of the power cord.

I found this on Sony site, but have no clue what TV it is talking about.

https://esupport.sony.com/info/800/LA/EN/

Paul
post #1313 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
After living with the 900f since Friday, I have to say it seems to be much better than my 900e.

1. Blooming seems to not be as bad.
2. the light colored band around the screen is almost nonexistent.
3. the lack of a power brick is great.
4. Having all the hdmi ports be side/bottom fitting helps quite a bit with my wires.

I don’t have it wall mounted and my 900e had some of the cables sticking out while this one they are nice and flush with the tv. I watched a couple Dolby vision movies and I can’t say for sure if it’s better than the hdr10 on the 900e, but it seems like it is.

The colors and black levels definitely seem like a step up. It’s most noticeable for me while playing god of war. The forest where the witch lady is really pops.

I’m using rtings settings. After testing out x motion clarity, I just don’t see much of an improvement, especially not enough to lose that little bit of brightness.

I just ordered a medialight quad that will be here next week.
post #1314 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 04:56 PM

Hmm I dont know yet wich im gonna buy this week. Friend of mine gonna check the store tomorrow to check the price for me, he knows the owner, he always make good prices for him. Its without bill though, but if theres something wrong with the tv, he gives you warranty he says, no problem.
The x900f normally costs around 2000-2200 euros here, he maybe can get it for 1400-1500.

But I still dont know, I dont like the design of the x900f and the 65inch screen size hmm. The distance from where I sit to the tv is maybe 2 meters only.

That being said, the tv is a newer model, and I heard from some people its better for gaming.
And for the price, for a 65' new model Sony tv, it looks a great deal

The xe93 will costs me 1200 and I like the design from it and the screen size.
post #1315 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
900f 85inch owners

I'm strongly considering buying is it worth it
Is Dolby vision great on the 900f?

Or should I just save up for the 77inch oled by LG?

You missed the party on this subject. I had the same dilemma and the board guided me to a clear conclusion: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...ed77c8pua.html

I have had the 85" for a month now and could not be happier! :-)
Drew1204 likes this.

Main: Sony X900F 85" LED, Denon AVRX7200WA, Klipsh RC64II, RF7II (x2), CDT5650 C II (x8), PSA 15V Sub, RSL Speedwoofer 10S Sub
Home Gym: AVR3312CI, RC62II , RF62 II (x2), Polk RC80i (x2), R112SW Sub, Panasonic 65" Plasma
Zone #2 (Lanai): Denon HEOS Amp, Polk RC80i (x2), LG 43" LED DJ Studio: Event PS8's
post #1316 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Got my 55x900f today.....and panel fail! Got a dog. Wonder how many other people have had ban panels. The guys at BB said this is the first they've seen......

Anyway, I'll attach pics below, but I have not seen this issue before. It is like a very tiny grid pattern along the bottom 10-15% of the screen. Not noticeable at black, barely at grey, but totally with color or a lighter image. So I returned it and have another in my trunk to take with me tomorrow to my office (where the tv is) for my World Cup watching!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6358.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	835.9 KB
ID:	2416194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6359.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	2416196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6361.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	832.1 KB
ID:	2416198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6364.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	588.0 KB
ID:	2416200  
post #1317 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Anyone have the proper list of exactly what the X900F can playback via USB or DLNA?
[...]
There's a list in the Help Guide that you can find on the Support site. No idea if it's accurate but it does have a lot more detail. Here's the relevant section on video formats:
http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/fusltn1...-01-03_03.html

The only format I've tried with USB are MKV rips of UHD Blu-ray (so HEVC [email protected]) and that worked.
post #1318 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Well I finally ordered yesterday from Chris. I sold my old TV(75" JU7100) yesterday because the wife wouldn't let me have two 75" TV's. lol

I would have ordered the 85 but he said there was a wait list over 10 deep and he wasn't sure when he was going to get them. Anyways I got the 75" and I should take delivery by Wednesday. I'm dealing with a 55" in the media room until then...at least it's a 900E

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
post #1319 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Anyone have the proper list of exactly what the X900F can playback via USB or DLNA? I can't see to get almost anything to playback via USB, and DLNA is hopeless from my Windows 7 PC. The most irritating thing is m2ts Bluray file playback. My old 40" Samsung TV from 2015 would DLNA these files just fine, or even with USB. The Sony chokes on them, and sputters until locking the set up requiring hard reset of the power cord.

I found this on Sony site, but have no clue what TV it is talking about.

https://esupport.sony.com/info/800/LA/EN/

Paul
I’ve used streaming from my Windows 10 PC and haven’t ran into anything it wouldn’t play for me yet. Definitely plays AC3 audio that way. I’ve streamed files as large as 35gb without issues. I have mine plugged in directly to my router though. As far as it locking up or etc I’ve yet to have that happen via streaming from a PC. I’d suggest trying a different USB drive. TV USB ports might not provide enough power to an external hard drive or if using a flash drive it may not have good compatibility.

Aside from that your options are upgrade to Windows 10, install and use something such as Plex to transcode files for playback on the fly or convert the files yourself, or use a different device for media playback.
post #1320 of 9166 Old 06-14-2018, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Why can’t I access any HDR content on Prime Video now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page