Some information that may be helpful regarding the LED light on this TV that blinks 4 times. Repeatedly.
I was excited to receive a 55” 900F yesterday from Crutchfield. I usually but from them because of their superb customer service, their 60 return policy (free and for any reason) and their lifetime tech support. Most of that came into play yesterday.
I had a friend come over and we went through the process of unboxing, re-connecting and hanging the TV on the wall to replace a 7 year old 46” Sony. It is above a gas fireplace and between some built-ins, but plenty of ventilation room. I had also purchased a Denon X2400H and some Blue Jeans 4K HDMI cables. Got everything rewired and hooked up and plugged in.
Here is the progression from that point
1) The TV power cord is disappointingly short (about 6’), so I used a heavy duty extension to reach a plug.
2) The TV turned on, the Android animation started and ran for ~10 seconds and then…… the screen went blank and the LED under the name began to blink – 4 times, then just kept repeating.
3) Unplugged it for a couple of minutes and tried again. Same result – LED blinking red 4 times.
4) Removed the extension cord and plugged the power cord directly into an outlet. Same result – LED blinking red 4 times.4). Went into the manual and found the manual process for doing a factory reset. Tried that three times. Same result – LED blinking red 4 times.
5) Called Crutchfield Tech Support (Dustin) and found out Sony hasn’t provided them with any information, so Dustin got Sony on the line. In the transition, we lost Dustin.
6) Sony was awful. His accent made him hard to understand. He was a bit confused and no real solution offered. He finally put me on hold for quite awhile and came back and offered to replace the set with a brand new one. OK so far. When I asked him how the process worked, he told me that “after I returned the TV, they would send me a brand new TV. The same model IF AVAILABLE, otherwise a COMPARABLE model. I should have my new set within a week or two.” I got my case number and told him I would call him back.
7) I re-connected with Dustin at Crutchfield. He was pretty disappointed with Sony’s solution and said “That’s unacceptable. We’ll send you a new TV right away and when the freight company delivers it, they will pick up the old one.” I did not call Sony back.
Here is what I learned:
- Sony – still being Sony with sketchy support (my experience over the years) and an apparent baffling lack of knowledge about their own equipment. Even though the Sony manual says to call them if the LED light blinks red and a reset doesn’t fix it, they don’t know what the blinking LED means, or at least couldn’t/wouldn’t share it with me.
- Crutchfield – superior customer service. Again
- Most important lesson - plug the TV in to make sure it works BEFORE hanging it on the wall.
I am pleased with Crutchfield and awaiting my replacement TV.