2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4517Likes

post #1561 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeercy View Post
Perhaps, but for every couple of posts here about great motion, there is at least one complaining about bad motion. There's also a couple of reviews on the Best Buy site complaining about motion. One in particular says it can't touch his plasma for motion. For me, the top 3 concerns for a 4k TV are motion, motion and motion.
same here and why I'm looking at this model. Clearness 1 with with other motion setting turned off in custom seems to be the trick here.
. Whether it's good enough for your needs is up to you but when it comes to motion, it seems like it's the one to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by morg4006 View Post
Of course the fact that you didn't pay the sales tax didn't mean you didn't owe the amount of the tax to your state. The new court ruling just empowers states to require vendors selling online (or through catalogs) to collect the tax from buyers located in their jurisdictions. This means that Crutchfield and Best Buy will now be competing based on value and customer service. While some buyers will no longer be able to "cheat" on taxes as easily as they used to , overall it may be that consumers will be better served by a level playing field.
It depends upon where you live and if your state imposes what is correctly called a "Use Tax."

Yes, the new Supreme Court ruling will level the playing field as far as price goes. It will serve the purpose of
forcing marketers to find ways to entice the buyer. This could take the form of improved Customer Service,
better frequent buyer plans, sales, etc.

I think I'll conclude this discussion, I think I hear State Trooper at my door!
post #1563 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Would anyone know the reason for a very dimmed/dark HDR picture? This is not happening on my 900f, but on a 850d I have in a secondary viewing location. Sorry for asking here but the 850d thread appears to be dead. 4K SDR and 1080 stuff looks normal, but on HDR, the TV locks into the "HDR Video" picture settings and loses a ton of brightness, pretty much hard to watch, even on screen menu text is hard to read.

Called Sony and they said it's normal ("HDR is darker"), which I call BS, not this dark. Same material with the same equipment and cables (premium certified) looks fine on my 900f.

Sony XBR-85X900F & XBR-85X850D | BenQ W1070 | Sony XBR-60LX900 | Denon X4200W & X3200W | Infinity Primus PC351, P363s, P163s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
Would anyone know the reason for a very dimmed/dark HDR picture? This is not happening on my 900f, but on a 850d I have in a secondary viewing location. Sorry for asking here but the 850d thread appears to be dead. 4K SDR and 1080 stuff looks normal, but on HDR, the TV locks into the "HDR Video" picture settings and loses a ton of brightness, pretty much hard to watch, even on screen menu text is hard to read.

Called Sony and they said it's normal ("HDR is darker"), which I call BS, not this dark. Same material with the same equipment and cables (premium certified) looks fine on my 900f.
850d was a much dimmer set and uses an IPS panel which has poor contrast compared to VA panel. Shallow blacks, edge lit, not very bright...all of these factors will lead to poor hdr performance and the 850d suffers from all of them...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #1565 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Ya, I could have told you that Those sets don't hold a candle to a plasma.....
Part of the problem there could be that Dish is notoriously bad quality, and prone to artifacting, which plasma can help to mask (especially lower resolutions plasmas).

Plasma was a great technology, and the black were great, but I wouldn't pick one over practically any new "decent quality" lcd. Well, maybe for watching DVDs and over compressed satellite images, but not for a quality source.

Samsung 55" JS8500, 48" JS9000, 75" Q90R, 46" ES7100 - Sony 65" 900F

I Like Digital!
post #1566 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6847 Post(s)
Liked: 6843
Quote:
Perhaps, but for every couple of posts here about great motion, there is at least one complaining about bad motion. There's also a couple of reviews on the Best Buy site complaining about motion. One in particular says it can't touch his plasma for motion. For me, the top 3 concerns for a 4k TV are motion, motion and motion.
As a plasma owner you will have some getting used to with motion. No matter what you buy today it will probably will not be like your your plasma was but close...You just have to get used to it, if you even notice any motion issues at all. If you a plasma guy, first off nothing below a 900F will do, in fact you really have 5 choices....

Sony 900F Series
Sony Z9D Series

Samsung Q8FN Series
Samsung Q9FN Series

Any Sony or LG OLED........
bigjohns1997SS and HomerJau like this.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 06-24-2018 at 10:03 AM.
post #1567 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
For those XF9005/X900F owners out there, which wall-mounts did you decide on?
post #1568 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can anyone comment on any DSE noticed? I have it slightly when planning on light backgrounds but only when I look for it. The dse test is where I noticed it most from YouTube. Gray image looks pretty uniform so maybe it’s just the nature of LCD panels. Rtings.com said there is none while watching ice hockey or soccer and I agree... I haven’t noticed it with that. Only when I’m sitting there looking for it. Is this just the nature of LCD? Again it’s very minor, nothing unwatchable.
post #1569 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
As a plasma owner you will have some getting used to with motion. No matter what you buy today it will probably will not be like your your plasma was but close...You just have to get used to it, if you even notice any motion issues at all. If you a plasma guy, first off nothing below a 900F will do, in fact you really have 5 choices....

Sony 900F Series
Sony Z9D Series

Samsung Q8FN Series
Samsung Q9FN Series

Any Sony or LG OLED........
Out of those, are the OLED’s the most plasma-like?
post #1570 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The most important thing to me is to get very smooth motion without any jerking or stutter. For me it’s is a win-win as I like Soap Opera effect.

I was thinking about buying the Sony X900F. But right now I have a X930D and the stutter gets worse the higher I put the Smoothness; and I'm afraid the X900F will have the same problem even though in general it’s considered to have good motion.

Especially because Rtings says the stutter rating on the X900F is poor. But I don’t know if that is based on measurements or real viewing. And I don’t know if they rate it with motion flow on or off.

What is the best TV for Soap Opera motion high AND no stutter/jerkiness?

I'm also considering the Samsung Q9FN, but some reviewers say it’s motion isn’t as good as Sony, even though it gets a better stutter score.

Jim

Last edited by beachguysb; 06-24-2018 at 07:54 PM.
post #1571 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post
It depends upon where you live and if your state imposes what is correctly called a "Use Tax."

Yes, the new Supreme Court ruling will level the playing field as far as price goes. It will serve the purpose of
forcing marketers to find ways to entice the buyer. This could take the form of improved Customer Service,
better frequent buyer plans, sales, etc.

I think I'll conclude this discussion, I think I hear State Trooper at my door!
Well said!
post #1572 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Yes, OLED has pixel level illumination, no backlight is used so you have perfect black levels down to the pixel. Light bleed and blooming are non existent, just like plasma. Also like plasma, they do not get as bright as high end LCD/LED sets. Like plasma, you have the risk of image retention or burn in if static images are left on too long. However, plasma used a different type of screen refresh so the motion was better. OLED has an almost instant pixel response time which is great for fast moving action but on lower frame rate content, slow pans can create a studder effect. This can be cleaned up with a little motion interpolation. Sony does motion interpolation better than anyone and is able to smooth out motion considerably without adding a ton of SOE and interpolation artifacts.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #1573 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
so....
any recomendation for BIAS lighting? i watch blurays with black bars mostly. so sometimes blooming is kind of distracting. but nothing compared with the IPS TV i owned before this one.
another question. what is the correct height¨and viewing distance to put the tv?
post #1574 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Quote:
Yes, OLED has pixel level illumination, no backlight is used so you have perfect black levels down to the pixel. Light bleed and blooming are non existent, just like plasma. Also like plasma, they do not get as bright as high end LCD/LED sets. Like plasma, you have the risk of image retention or burn in if static images are left on too long. However, plasma used a different type of screen refresh so the motion was better. OLED has an almost instant pixel response time which is great for fast moving action but on lower frame rate content, slow pans can create a studder effect. This can be cleaned up with a little motion interpolation. Sony does motion interpolation better than anyone and is able to smooth out motion considerably without adding a ton of SOE and interpolation artifacts.
Yeah, I understand how OLED works. I was specifically asking about motion.
post #1575 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Yeah, I understand how OLED works. I was specifically asking about motion.
I'd suggest you check the You Yube videos posted by kpeercy. I too value motion and those videos clarified this and many other doubts I had. As for the Oleds, it's my understanding that although they have perfect blacks, they are also more prone to stutter than LCDs. On the rtings review of the LG C8 they state:

"One downside to OLED technology is that there is some stutter when playing low frame rate content, especially when watching movies or TV Shows."

On the x900f, this can be remedied by activating the X-Motion Clarity function by setting CLEARNESS to 1, again, as pointed out by kpeercy. The one thing everyone seem to agree in every review I've read is that in terms of motion, it doesn't get any better than Sony.
post #1576 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 05:46 PM

RECTIFYING:
I'd suggest you check the You Yube videos posted by js950. I too value motion and those videos clarified this and many other doubts I had. As for the Oleds, it's my understanding that although they have perfect blacks, they are also more prone to stutter than LCDs. On the rtings review of the LG C8 they state:

"One downside to OLED technology is that there is some stutter when playing low frame rate content, especially when watching movies or TV Shows."

On the x900f, this can be remedied by activating the X-Motion Clarity function by setting CLEARNESS to 1, again, as pointed out by js950. The one thing everyone seem to agree in every review I've read is that in terms of motion, it doesn't get any better than Sony.
post #1577 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 05:56 PM

By the way, I've read on another forum a guy who owns a x900e complaining about the Bluetooth. Apparently he had to disable it altogether because there were other people frequently trying to pair devices with his tv. I can only assume the x900e isn't capable of toggling Bluetooth visibility ON and OFF.

Is it the same with this model?
post #1578 of 10366 Old 06-24-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmymythos View Post
RECTIFYING:
I'd suggest you check the You Yube videos posted by js950. I too value motion and those videos clarified this and many other doubts I had. As for the Oleds, it's my understanding that although they have perfect blacks, they are also more prone to stutter than LCDs. On the rtings review of the LG C8 they state:

On the x900f, this can be remedied by activating the X-Motion Clarity function by setting CLEARNESS to 1, again, as pointed out by js950. The one thing everyone seem to agree in every review I've read is that in terms of motion, it doesn't get any better than Sony.
Who is js950? I searched YouTube, but see nothing.
post #1579 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Please note that Smoothness and Clearness do nothing unless on Custom and as such I normally use TrueCinema most of the time and if I run into some motion that needs cleaning up I swap to Custom with those settings. If the brightness decreases too much for my tastes with Clearness on 1 I might manually bump up the brightness by 5.

My current settings:

For DirecTV SDR / HDR NIGHT

Spoiler!

For DirecTV SDR / HDR DAY

Spoiler!

For Nintendo WiiU and Switch

Spoiler!

For PS4 Pro and Xbox One S / HDR

Spoiler!

For all DAY Video apps inluding local file streaming / HDR

Spoiler!

For all NIGHT Video apps inluding local file streaming / HDR

Spoiler!
bodean, cba1986 and iChristopher like this.

Last edited by acphydro; 07-13-2018 at 08:53 PM.
post #1580 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
Can anyone comment on any DSE noticed? I have it slightly when planning on light backgrounds but only when I look for it. The dse test is where I noticed it most from YouTube. Gray image looks pretty uniform so maybe it’s just the nature of LCD panels. Rtings.com said there is none while watching ice hockey or soccer and I agree... I haven’t noticed it with that. Only when I’m sitting there looking for it. Is this just the nature of LCD? Again it’s very minor, nothing unwatchable.
You should be fine. Perfect uniformity is generally unrealistic with LCD panels, and Sony tends to do better on that front with their FALDs than those of competitors (for instance, compare 900F w/ others on rtings). From your description you have a good one. I had to swap out a TCL I'd just bought for my current 900F specifically for the DSE the TCL had due to poor uniformity, and the 900F I got is fortunately much better in that regard, I really have to go out of my way to see it similar to yours.
post #1581 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
Please note that Smoothness and Clearness do nothing unless on Custom and as such I normally use TrueCinema most of the time and if I run into some motion that needs cleaning up I swap to Custom with those settings. If the brightness decreases too much for my tastes with Clearness on 1 I might manually bump up the brightness by 5.

My current settings:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
So, even though you have smoothness and clearness at 1, you're saying they aren't doing anything because you've set Motionflow to True Cinema? You have to change Motionflow to Custom for the Smoothness and Clearness to do anything at all? Does that mean you can set both to 5 on True Cinema and nothing will actually happen?
post #1582 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So, even though you have smoothness and clearness at 1, you're saying they aren't doing anything because you've set Motionflow to True Cinema? You have to change Motionflow to Custom for the Smoothness and Clearness to do anything at all? Does that mean you can set both to 5 on True Cinema and nothing will actually happen?
I don’t think it would let me change those 2 settings unless you’re on custom motionflow. Not that there’d be any reason to anyhow. Truecinema does it’s job well and doesn’t introduce any SOE. There are several motionflow presets too. I use truecinema most of the time because motion looks great to me so I just leave it there to remove judder if there is any to be removed and on the odd occasion that I feel a programs motion needs some cleaning up I’ll switch to custom.
post #1583 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDeath View Post
You should be fine. Perfect uniformity is generally unrealistic with LCD panels, and Sony tends to do better on that front with their FALDs than those of competitors (for instance, compare 900F w/ others on rtings). From your description you have a good one. I had to swap out a TCL I'd just bought for my current 900F specifically for the DSE the TCL had due to poor uniformity, and the 900F I got is fortunately much better in that regard, I really have to go out of my way to see it similar to yours.
Great to hear, thanks.
post #1584 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post

My current settings:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Thanks for these. Is there a reason you turn off the light sensor? Can it be left on? On my panel I leave it on and get decent results so wondering if it’s not wise to keep it on?
post #1585 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Who is js950? I searched YouTube, but see nothing.
js950 is a member here. He posted the you tube links at the top of this page (post #1561 ).
post #1586 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 06:39 AM

Out of curiosity, were there times in 2017 when the 900e saw a price drop? How much? If so, I’m wondering if the 900f will see a similar drop at a similar time.
post #1587 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for these. Is there a reason you turn off the light sensor? Can it be left on? On my panel I leave it on and get decent results so wondering if it’s not wise to keep it on?
No problem. As you can tell I prefer to go the natural or accurate route in most cases with most processing turned off and a minor bump in color. Only exception is for daytime directv viewing where I think it benefits from a few things on I don’t normally use. You can definitely get more of a pop out of it if you use some of the features I disable if that’s your thing.

My environment doesn’t go through a lot of lighting changes so I have it disabled because I don’t feel the need to use it. Nothing wrong with leaving it on at all. Could be useful for changing the brightness of the screen dynamically throughout the day or night or just so you don’t have to change it manually for certain situations. I may experiment turning mine on at some point but this is just my go to baseline for most things at the moment.
post #1588 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Out of curiosity, were there times in 2017 when the 900e saw a price drop? How much? If so, I’m wondering if the 900f will see a similar drop at a similar time.
I’d expect it around November and December with clearances starting shortly thereafter between January and April or so. Happens every year when new models are about to arrive.
post #1589 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Strange thing happened with my 900F...it came on by itself in the middle of the night. Any speculation as to what may have caused this?

Thank you!
FocusedOne likes this.
post #1590 of 10366 Old 06-25-2018, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Finally got my 85" over the weekend. Playing with PQ setting and watching some DV context noticed that DV gets really bright on those object around/background with lights. Almost too much distracting from the actual/focus part of the video. Example Altered Carbon that has a lot of lights.

Quote:
Hey Guys,

After about 10 great years with my Panny Plasma 55"... I finally decided to jump to a 65" 900f on sale for my first 4k HDR experience. I love everything about the TV, and am blown away in general.

I did have a question / concern on the clouding on menu or login type screens. Reading in this thread from Dusty5 and others... it seems its somewhat normal and even Sony says so. When you look around the web though, people post pictures similar to mine and its either a "thats normal" or a "thats bad, return it" reaction. Figured this forum has more knowledgeable people and actually own the TV so figured I'd post here.

Anyways, I've attached images from my iphone 8. All taken in a dark room with factory settings. The pics DEFINITELY look worse than in real life and it isn't as bad in person. I'm thinking because it boosts the exposure to see the clouding which then blows it out.

This clouding from the corners does NOT happen when viewing regular content or even black screens... ONLY happens on no-input screens, Netflix login screens and similar. I ran gray and black YouTube test videos and its near perfect black uniformity with none of this clouding. I attached the second screen to show how the lower right clouding is basically gone compared to the Netflix screen. The random streaks are from reflections so never mind those.

If this is somewhat normal on these sets and LCD's, then I'm fine with it as it doesn't affect normal viewing at all. Just wanted to hear from the owners/experts. Otherwise this TV rocks!

Thats normal. Make sure you have auto local dimming set to high or medium. Below is mine off vs medium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180622_182720.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	2420268   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_122642.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	2420270   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_172847.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	2420272   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_173243.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2420274  
RJVR23 and BR4DOKYBrazil like this.

Main Room: Sonia 85" X900F, UBD X700, Xbox1S, Denon X6200W, Aircom T8.
Klipsch RP 7.2.2 Atmos RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-250S, RP-160M, Two R-112SW, CDT-5800-C II.
Bedroom: Samy 65" JS9500, UBD-K8500, Polk Sound bar.
Pool: Samy 55" JS8500, Sonia STRDN1080, Aircom S9.
Klipsch Outdoor: Four AW-650, Two R-120SW.

Last edited by yoandry; 06-25-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page