2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4959Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2191 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Anderegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by theike View Post
I'm wondering the same how this will end up working, but I think you can use HDMI in on any input and then connect the HDMI ARC input from TV to your AVR or soundbar with HDMI so that the sound will output to that source.
ARC will change the HDMI 3 input into a dedicated AUDIO OUTPUT, until you send an input connected to the AV receiver or soundbar, then it turns into an input for the external sound unit. Using HDMI 3 as ARC, you can connect the APTV to the other inputs and get sound out of ARC up to DD+ quality...hook to HDMI 2 if your doing ATV4K.

For the person that asked, the Sony now does DolbyVision for internal apps, and selected external HDMI devices...compatibility for external devices will grow on each new firmware update of the TV.

Paul
theike likes this.
Anderegg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2192 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 03:24 PM
Member
 
denslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Looking at getting this . So how’s the screen uniformity , banding and overall picture quality

Sony 65inch 900F, Apple TV4k, Xbox one S, sonos 5.1,Marantz pm7000n, kEFLS50
denslayer is offline  
post #2193 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by denslayer View Post
Looking at getting this . So how’s the screen uniformity , banding and overall picture quality


Mine had zero dead pixels.
Mine had very slight DSE (better than any of my 3 Vizio P55-F1’s), and should only be noticeable in a test screen environment.
Mine has very slight dark corners. Again I feel they should only be noticeable on test screens.
Overall, picture quality and upscaling my xfinity cable box looks very clean and clear. I would rate it better than my Vizio sets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
denslayer likes this.

Sony XBR55X900F
Sony UBP-X700
Onkyo TX-NR787
Def Tech CS9040 & BP9020 x2
Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR Andrew Jones x2
theike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2194 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
ARC will change the HDMI 3 input into a dedicated AUDIO OUTPUT, until you send an input connected to the AV receiver or soundbar, then it turns into an input for the external sound unit. Using HDMI 3 as ARC, you can connect the APTV to the other inputs and get sound out of ARC up to DD+ quality...hook to HDMI 2 if your doing ATV4K.

For the person that asked, the Sony now does DolbyVision for internal apps, and selected external HDMI devices...compatibility for external devices will grow on each new firmware update of the TV.

Paul

As of right now I am thinking setting up the inputs as follows: HDMI in1 - Appletv, HDMI in2 - Oppo203, HDMI in3 (ARC) - Cabletv/(dedicated audio return channel to receiver), HDMI in4 - FireTV 4K


I hate to say it but I really should just get a new AVR. But in the meantime this will have to work. It sucks b/c I may not be able to take full advantage of the appletv 4k, but I will at least get 4k24/30, right?

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
chiptouz is offline  
post #2195 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Anderegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
As of right now I am thinking setting up the inputs as follows: HDMI in1 - Appletv, HDMI in2 - Oppo203, HDMI in3 (ARC) - Cabletv/(dedicated audio return channel to receiver), HDMI in4 - FireTV 4K


I hate to say it but I really should just get a new AVR. But in the meantime this will have to work. It sucks b/c I may not be able to take full advantage of the appletv 4k, but I will at least get 4k24/30, right?
I just tested my HDMI 1 input...it WILL accept 4K 2160p RGB FULL video levels at 24Hz and 30Hz. If I try to push a 4K 60Hz signal, it knocks it down to 4:2:0 limited, since you need an advanced 3/4 port for 60Hz full bandwidth. I am not sure if HDMI 1/4 will do HDR, as my Windows 7 can't spit that out, but maybe not since HDR requires HDMI 2.0

Paul

Last edited by Anderegg; 07-29-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Anderegg is offline  
post #2196 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 05:47 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,385
Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12500 Post(s)
Liked: 7461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I just tested my HDMI 1 input...it WILL accept 4K 2160p RGB FULL video levels at 24Hz and 30Hz. If I try to push a 4K 60Hz signal, it knocks it down to 4:2:0 limited, since you need an advanced 3/4 port for 60Hz full bandwidth. I am not sure if HDMI will do HDR, as my Windows 7 can't spit that out, but maybe not since HDR requires HDMI 2.0

Paul
Paul, just curious, where are you seeing the refresh rate and color depth displayed? Is this a feature of the 900F? My older Sony will not show this information, at least not that I know of. A screen shot would be great!
AustinJerry is online now  
post #2197 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Anderegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 446
I am using a Windows PC to send a specific signal to the TV...if the screen works after I send the signal, then the settings I see on my Nvidia control panel are what the TV is displaying. For some reason, it WILL display 1920x1080/120Hz...funny enough, for kicks, I sent the TV 121Hz and it displayed 1920x1080/121Hz! :-D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 6.03.29 PM.png
Views:	61
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	2434744  
Anderegg is offline  
post #2198 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 06:33 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,385
Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12500 Post(s)
Liked: 7461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I am using a Windows PC to send a specific signal to the TV...if the screen works after I send the signal, then the settings I see on my Nvidia control panel are what the TV is displaying. For some reason, it WILL display 1920x1080/120Hz...funny enough, for kicks, I sent the TV 121Hz and it displayed 1920x1080/121Hz! :-D
I figured you were doing something special. Thanks for sharing.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #2199 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I just tested my HDMI 1 input...it WILL accept 4K 2160p RGB FULL video levels at 24Hz and 30Hz. If I try to push a 4K 60Hz signal, it knocks it down to 4:2:0 limited, since you need an advanced 3/4 port for 60Hz full bandwidth. I am not sure if HDMI 1/4 will do HDR, as my Windows 7 can't spit that out, but maybe not since HDR requires HDMI 2.0

Paul
Thank you Paul, I appreciate you confirming what I am thinking. In the above I think you meant advanced 2/3 port, right. Hdmi in4 does not display 2160 rgb full 60hrz at 4:4:4, right?

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
chiptouz is offline  
post #2200 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Anderegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
Thank you Paul, I appreciate you confirming what I am thinking. In the above I think you meant advanced 2/3 port, right. Hdmi in4 does not display 2160 rgb full 60hrz at 4:4:4, right?
Oops, meant 2/3, you are correct sir. HDMI 1.4 gives 4k 60Hz 4:2:0 limited, HDMI 2.0 gives you 4K 60 RGB FULL, HDMI 2.0a adds HDR10 metadata, and HDMI 2.0b adds HLG metadata on top of all that.

Paul
Anderegg is offline  
post #2201 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 07:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Motion: Sony x900f or Samsung Q9FN or???

Motion and flicker are most important to me. I don’t care about picture quality. And I don’t mind soap opera effect.

I bought a Sony x930d but hate that I can’t get smooth clear soap opera motion without more stutter or jerking. My 8 year old Sharp TV was much better.

What would be the best 65” TV that would have low flicker and look smooth with very high motion control on? Sony x900f or Samsung Q9FN or???

Thanks!!

Jim

Last edited by beachguysb; 07-29-2018 at 07:54 PM.
beachguysb is offline  
post #2202 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Anderegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguysb View Post
Sony x900f or Samsung Q9FN or???

Motion and flicker are most important to me. I don’t care about picture quality. And I don’t mind soap opera effect. I can’t tell if rtings stutter ratings are with or without high levels of motion control.

I bought a Sony x930d but hate that I can’t get smooth clear soap opera motion without more stutter or jerking. My 8 year old Sharp TV was much better.

What would be the best 65” TV that would have low flicker and look smooth with very high motion control on? Sony x900f or Samsung Q9FN or???

Thanks!!
I believe in the past people have been pretty adamant that the Q9FN blows this Sony out of the water.
Anderegg is offline  
post #2203 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 07:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I believe in the past people have been pretty adamant that the Q9FN blows this Sony out of the water.

Specifically in regards to motion? I don't care about picture quality. Thanks!!

Jim
beachguysb is offline  
post #2204 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Anderegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguysb View Post
Specifically in regards to motion? I don't care about picture quality. Thanks!!
Have you tried the Q9FN subtopic? I typically listen more to complaints than I do to peoples praises. :-)

Paul
Anderegg is offline  
post #2205 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 08:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Calibrations...need some. Seen some on you tube but they are using b.t 2020 for gaming etc..some are movie only. I've tried setting mine for sports and action movies like Marvel as want pop for those. Cinema mode too dark and boring for the Hulk and Thor. Lol. Also, have my ps4pro hooked to TV and if I turn ps4pro off TV wont let me change auto picture mode as days no hdmi connected. Which is true since ps4pro is off. So just with TV and Netflix and Prime I'm not allowed to change auto pic mode. Seems weird.
Oldfart98 is offline  
post #2206 of 12121 Old 07-29-2018, 09:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Are the picture settings locked for Dolby Vision? I have DV turned on through the Apple TV. I tried to turn the light sensor setting on but it won’t allow me to make any change.
Qphan79 is offline  
post #2207 of 12121 Old 07-30-2018, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Category 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I believe in the past people have been pretty adamant that the Q9FN blows this Sony out of the water.
That's probably true with picture quality, although I wouldn't guess it blows the Sony out of the water. I think the Sony will win for motion though. The Samsung sets do seem to have a bit of smearing that the Sony avoids completely. the 900f is superb with regards to motion. The image quality on the Q9FN is to die for though. It looks like an OLED, but twice as bright, as long as you are viewing directly.

Samsung 55" JS8500, 48" JS9000, 75" Q90R, 46" ES7100 - Sony 65" 900F

I Like Digital!
Category 5 is offline  
post #2208 of 12121 Old 07-30-2018, 02:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecwrvd2 View Post
My game mode settings for Xbox One X and PS4 PRO

Picture Mode- Game
Auto picture mode Off
Brightness- 25
Color- 55
Light Sensor Off

Advanced Settings:
Contrast- 90
Gamma- 0
Black Level- 50
Black Adjust- high
Advanced Contrast Enhancer- High
Auto local dimming- high
Xtended Dynamic Range- high
Hue- 0
Color Temperature- Warm
Live Color- Low


Everything else is left to auto/off. I keep the same settings for everything when in HDR.

It gives me a nice pop.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Still using these? U have one for sports watching? Getting new cable box this week and love hockey and soccer but hated the way they looked on 1080 TV.. grass always looked weird etc.
Oldfart98 is offline  
post #2209 of 12121 Old 07-30-2018, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 3,664
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
As of right now I am thinking setting up the inputs as follows: HDMI in1 - Appletv, HDMI in2 - Oppo203, HDMI in3 (ARC) - Cabletv/(dedicated audio return channel to receiver), HDMI in4 - FireTV 4K


I hate to say it but I really should just get a new AVR. But in the meantime this will have to work. It sucks b/c I may not be able to take full advantage of the appletv 4k, but I will at least get 4k24/30, right?
Quick question - what type of cable box do you have? If it’s a non 4K STB - there’s no need for ARC. It’s a straight HDMI connection to your AVR and then to your TV.

Also - what do you watch the most? Based on your sources, here is another option:

1. Cable
2. OPPO 203
3. Apple TV
4. FireTV 4K

I also have an older Denon non 4K receiver - 5280. I considered the new Comcast 4K STB but there really isn’t any 4K content outside of recorded events like the Olympics or Netflix, which can be accessed via internal apps or other players. If you’re happy with the performance of your current AVR (sound setup?), then no need to buy a new AVR and redo all your connections, IMHO, UNLESS you’re adding additional channels/speakers.

Personally, I find the internal apps to provide the best picture quality compared to my Roku Ultra, which I hardly use anymore. Netflix is stunning with plain ole 1080p upscaled to 4K. Amazon and Google Play Movies look superb, as well. HDR is a real treat, especially with content shot in 4K from start to finish. Check out the freebie Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk - the picture quality is stunning!

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3, AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #2210 of 12121 Old 07-30-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Glenee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 422
For everybody's Info.
I contacted Sony about assigning the TV Button to HDMI 1,2,3, and so on. It not presently in the software but will be added later. (No Kidding). Be carefull when you talk to them it the same old stuff from every manufacture. The first thing he wanted to do was a hard power reset. Then I gave him access via code to my set and watch him try and find the reassign key in inputs. He came back and said it isn't there. It was cool to watch him move around the same menus i was just in. The reason I said be careful about the Hard reset is on some displays you have to re enter all settings. That means people who paid for a Calibration and didn't write down there settings or lost settings left by Calibrator, it could be along day of WTF.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
Glenee is offline  
post #2211 of 12121 Old 07-30-2018, 04:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Reds look kinda orange. Way to tweak this? Though others here say looks okay..maybe just my old eyes. Tried sliding r gain up and down but no difference in red
Oldfart98 is offline  
post #2212 of 12121 Old 07-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Quick question - what type of cable box do you have? If it’s a non 4K STB - there’s no need for ARC. It’s a straight HDMI connection to your AVR and then to your TV.

Also - what do you watch the most? Based on your sources, here is another option:

1. Cable
2. OPPO 203
3. Apple TV
4. FireTV 4K

I also have an older Denon non 4K receiver - 5280. I considered the new Comcast 4K STB but there really isn’t any 4K content outside of recorded events like the Olympics or Netflix, which can be accessed via internal apps or other players. If you’re happy with the performance of your current AVR (sound setup?), then no need to buy a new AVR and redo all your connections, IMHO, UNLESS you’re adding additional channels/speakers.

Personally, I find the internal apps to provide the best picture quality compared to my Roku Ultra, which I hardly use anymore. Netflix is stunning with plain ole 1080p upscaled to 4K. Amazon and Google Play Movies look superb, as well. HDR is a real treat, especially with content shot in 4K from start to finish. Check out the freebie Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk - the picture quality is stunning!

Rico - my issue is my Denon 4520ci. Its only HDCP 1.6. I need one hdmi for the arc back to the receiver. If I use HDMI in3 for something else there is no arc to the receiver for the Appltv4k and Amazon FireTV to send the audio track back to the receiver since these two HDMI's will go from the device to the TV and not to the receiver due to they being HDCP 2.0. Unfortunately the only one that will work for both is using the cable box on HDMI in3. When I get a new receiver in the future it will have hdcp 2.0 (at least) and my issues will be gone.

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
chiptouz is offline  
post #2213 of 12121 Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 3,664
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
Rico - my issue is my Denon 4520ci. Its only HDCP 1.6. I need one hdmi for the arc back to the receiver. If I use HDMI in3 for something else there is no arc to the receiver for the Appltv4k and Amazon FireTV to send the audio track back to the receiver since these two HDMI's will go from the device to the TV and not to the receiver due to they being HDCP 2.0. Unfortunately the only one that will work for both is using the cable box on HDMI in3. When I get a new receiver in the future it will have hdcp 2.0 (at least) and my issues will be gone.
No - I think you are not understanding how ARC works. Example: I use ARC with my non HDCP 2.2 Denon AVR for my 4K Roku Ultra, which is on the HDMI 2 input of my Sony TV. HDMI 3 is for my cable, which incidentally is not 4K right now. That connection is from my cable set top box to my AVR (Cable/Sat HDMI 1 “In” on my AVR) and then out via the ARC capable HDMI output of my AVR - just like yours.

My single Roku Ultra (4K) connection is via HDMI and as I said before, it is plugged into the Sony HDMI 2 input on my TV. This is for the video portion for 4K/HDR. Audio is still via ARC and the HDMI 3 Sony TV Input which return transfers DD+ audio via the connection to my AVR ARC video/audio output.

Same for internal apps - all audio via ARC. No matter what HDMI input you use on your Sony TV, as long as you have your Sony HDMI Input 3 connected to your non HDCP 2.2 AVR on the AVR ARC capable output, you should get ARC audio from ALL of the Sony HDMI Inputs. It will automatically switch and show up as TV/Audio on your receiver.

I believe the OPPO 203 has a separate audio and video connection so your OPPO can still provide lossless audio AND 4K/HDR video. I’d prioritize your Sony HDMI inputs based on what you watch the most and would keep the Sony HDMI Input 2 for your OPPO player with audio going back to one of your “Inputs” on your AVR and just toggle to that AVR input for lossless audio. You still should be able to get lossy/DD+ from your Apple 4K TV, your 4K Fire TV and internal apps all via ARC.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3, AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #2214 of 12121 Old 07-30-2018, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,089
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12883 Post(s)
Liked: 12256
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguysb View Post
Specifically in regards to motion? I don't care about picture quality. Thanks!!

If money is no object, Sony is announcing 2 new tvs later today, the new chipset is said to significantly improve motion. The Z9F (lcd) and A9F (oled).
ray0414 is offline  
post #2215 of 12121 Old 07-31-2018, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
No - I think you are not understanding how ARC works. Example: I use ARC with my non HDCP 2.2 Denon AVR for my 4K Roku Ultra, which is on the HDMI 2 input of my Sony TV. HDMI 3 is for my cable, which incidentally is not 4K right now. That connection is from my cable set top box to my AVR (Cable/Sat HDMI 1 “In” on my AVR) and then out via the ARC capable HDMI output of my AVR - just like yours.

My single Roku Ultra (4K) connection is via HDMI and as I said before, it is plugged into the Sony HDMI 2 input on my TV. This is for the video portion for 4K/HDR. Audio is still via ARC and the HDMI 3 Sony TV Input which return transfers DD+ audio via the connection to my AVR ARC video/audio output.

Same for internal apps - all audio via ARC. No matter what HDMI input you use on your Sony TV, as long as you have your Sony HDMI Input 3 connected to your non HDCP 2.2 AVR on the AVR ARC capable output, you should get ARC audio from ALL of the Sony HDMI Inputs. It will automatically switch and show up as TV/Audio on your receiver.

I believe the OPPO 203 has a separate audio and video connection so your OPPO can still provide lossless audio AND 4K/HDR video. I’d prioritize your Sony HDMI inputs based on what you watch the most and would keep the Sony HDMI Input 2 for your OPPO player with audio going back to one of your “Inputs” on your AVR and just toggle to that AVR input for lossless audio. You still should be able to get lossy/DD+ from your Apple 4K TV, your 4K Fire TV and internal apps all via ARC.
Rico - I think that we are completely on the same page. What you have typed is what I plan to do. Uverse dvr box to tv in on receiver, monitor 1 out (ARC) to HDMI input 3 (TV), Oppo203 HDMI1 to HDMI in2 (TV) OPPO 203 HDMI2 to BR Input Receiver, Appletv4k to HDMI in1 (ARC return) and Firetv to HDMI in4 (Arc Return).

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
chiptouz is offline  
post #2216 of 12121 Old 07-31-2018, 05:37 AM
Member
 
Ecwrvd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart98 View Post
Still using these? U have one for sports watching? Getting new cable box this week and love hockey and soccer but hated the way they looked on 1080 TV.. grass always looked weird etc.
I still use these but I only use this tv for gaming.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sony 900F, KS8000, P607
Ecwrvd2 is offline  
post #2217 of 12121 Old 07-31-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 3,664
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
Rico - I think that we are completely on the same page. What you have typed is what I plan to do. Uverse dvr box to tv in on receiver, monitor 1 out (ARC) to HDMI input 3 (TV), Oppo203 HDMI1 to HDMI in2 (TV) OPPO 203 HDMI2 to BR Input Receiver, Appletv4k to HDMI in1 (ARC return) and Firetv to HDMI in4 (Arc Return).

Perfect! And as I mentioned before - UNLESS you are adding more speakers/channels OR wanting to move to Dolby Atmos - - I see no need to upgrade your AVR. Sure, it would be more convenient to route everything through a compliant HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0 AVR, but - - what other benefit is there?

I initially thought about it when I heard that my cable provider (Comcast) came out with a 4K STB. But after looking at the specs and finding out that there is really no content (as in zero, nada, zip, zilch) in 4K from Comcast outside of recorded events - - I didn't see the need to redo all my connections for this single convenience. Netflix 4K from Comcast? No need, IMHO. I prefer the internal apps for all my streaming and the accompanying ARC DD+ audio.

I have the Harmony Elite but to be honest with you, I only use it these days to turn on and turn off my TV, AVR and Cable Box. I end up using all the native remotes whether that be for cable, my OPPO 103 or Roku Ultra - - which I rarely use because of my preference for the best picture quality possible (which to my eyes are the native apps versus my Roku)

Lastly - we'll have a 16K TV before we get any significant broadcast or cable 4K/HDR. I think we have a better chance for 4K from "OTA" - or over the air antenna via HLG and that is still five to ten years away.

Unless there is some miraculous compression algorithm invention, we're all in the same boat with the availability of content that is far, far below current TV technology capabilities.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3, AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #2218 of 12121 Old 07-31-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cheddarhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,129
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Roku Ultra - - which I rarely use because of my preference for the best picture quality possible (which to my eyes are the native apps versus my Roku)
Still need my Roku until NHL.TV sees fit to release an Android TV compatible app. MLB.TV has an excellent Android TV app and MLB.TV is contracted by NHL.TV to provide multi-media services so it's time for NHL.TV to get off their ass and tell MLB.TV to release an Android TV app.
Ricoflashback likes this.
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #2219 of 12121 Old 07-31-2018, 10:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguysb View Post
Motion: Sony x900f or Samsung Q9FN or???

Motion and flicker are most important to me. I don’t care about picture quality. And I don’t mind soap opera effect.

I bought a Sony x930d but hate that I can’t get smooth clear soap opera motion without more stutter or jerking. My 8 year old Sharp TV was much better.

What would be the best 65” TV that would have low flicker and look smooth with very high motion control on? Sony x900f or Samsung Q9FN or???

Thanks!!
Sony is better on motion - hands down. Seen it myself side by side and sales manager at Best Buy said exactly the same.
If you can just go to the store and ask them to play footage with fast moving subjects - pay close attention to moving part (like legs of the running horse)
I got my 900f and happy about it - I do not notice anything that would bother me in action movies and such
genadyl is offline  
post #2220 of 12121 Old 08-01-2018, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
todd1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Does anyone have a walk through on deleting & turning off apps or settings?

These tv’s are damn slow and buggy it’s ridiculous. I’ve got two other Sony tv’s thinking this newer faster processor would help but it does NOTHING for the speed of the menus and navigating the tv.

Ideas or comments?

Pro : Marantz AV8805
Main & Center Speakers : Phase Technology PC 3.5, & Surrounds
Amplifiers : Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, Marantz MM7055, SVS SB3000 Sub
Furman Elite-20PFi, Harmony Elite Remote
TV & Sources: Sony 75” 900F, Bluesound Node 2, Xbox One & Apple TV4K
todd1010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off